REAL bodies, with MASS!

REAL bodies, with MASS!

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

In any case, there are several other more modern MMO game engines that have been used in recent releases, among them being Forgelight, VisionEngine8, BigWorld, and HeroEngine. I don’t have a clue how any of those stack up against GW2’s engine overall, but I’d bet that saying “GW2 uses the best production MMO engine” currently in use is inaccurate. If you are more knowledgeable on that than the rest of us, please state some specifics to back up your claim.

The only production game Forgelight has that is comparable IMO is Planetside 2 which is an FPS MMO with very simple combat mechanics. VisionEngine8… that is Havok and I am unaware of any AAA MMO titles using it. Same with BigWorld. HeroEngine is SWToR and not only does that game look worse its large scale combat had to be removed from the game.

Simply put GW2 has no modern WvW equal in production release that I am aware of.
If someone can show me a relatively modern MMO engine that works on this scale with complex combat, I would love to try it. I keep playing GW2 because the landscape for this style of gameplay is currently barren. Upcoming titles I have some exposure to are not looking very good either.

EverquestNext will be using Forgelight as well, and from what I can tell the plans for that game are very ambitious.

By the way, do you know which game engine EOS will be using? I didn’t find it.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

REAL bodies, with MASS!

in WvW

Posted by: snacktime.1082

snacktime.1082

Collision Detection is a nightmare, I’m assuming the majority of people that keep suggesting this have never expierenced just how bad it makes gameplay. Collision Detection would amplify lag alot, I for one would hate to see this implemented.

If done right it’s fine. Distributed architectures make it scalable server side with good performance, and it adds only minimal extra data that needs to be passed to the client, if any (depending on supported features).

No, you can’t. It’s not about server side performance but about the time it takes for a change of movement (direction or speed) by one client to be communicated to another – which would be in the order of .5 seconds.

I never said it was about performance, I said scalability, they are two different things.

I agree the amount of data sent is the hardest problem to solve, but it’s been solved in various degrees already by several projects, one of which I work on. Most of the advances in this area FYI have not come from the game industry, and the biggest market for it is not the game industry either.

REAL bodies, with MASS!

in WvW

Posted by: frans.8092

frans.8092

Collision Detection is a nightmare, I’m assuming the majority of people that keep suggesting this have never expierenced just how bad it makes gameplay. Collision Detection would amplify lag alot, I for one would hate to see this implemented.

If done right it’s fine. Distributed architectures make it scalable server side with good performance, and it adds only minimal extra data that needs to be passed to the client, if any (depending on supported features).

No, you can’t. It’s not about server side performance but about the time it takes for a change of movement (direction or speed) by one client to be communicated to another – which would be in the order of .5 seconds.

I never said it was about performance, I said scalability, they are two different things.

I agree the amount of data sent is the hardest problem to solve, but it’s been solved in various degrees already by several projects, one of which I work on. Most of the advances in this area FYI have not come from the game industry, and the biggest market for it is not the game industry either.

It’s not about any of that, the problem is the time it takes for a command one player gives on one client to travel to another client. No amount of server performance or scalability will alleviate the large delays introduced in transcontinental connections.

REAL bodies, with MASS!

in WvW

Posted by: Seigfried.5938

Seigfried.5938

Does the OP mean real bodies, with VOLUME?

Gandara → SoS → BG → Gandara → SFR

New bunker meta sux

REAL bodies, with MASS!

in WvW

Posted by: Mightymealworm.8409

Mightymealworm.8409

You still need solid mass to fill your volume, or you simply phase through each other, like to volumes gas.

REAL bodies, with MASS!

in WvW

Posted by: Straegen.2938

Straegen.2938

EverquestNext will be using Forgelight as well, and from what I can tell the plans for that game are very ambitious.

By the way, do you know which game engine EOS will be using? I didn’t find it.

They are all ambitious in the design phase. Things tend to fall apart when the rubber hits the road so to speak. Even GW2 fell into this as the PvE did not live up to the hype. Much better PvE engines IMO. WvW was a pleasant surprise to me. Sure it is lacking in some areas but overall nothing really else like it at least in modern MMOss.

ESO originally used Hero but stopped because it sucked. That isn’t their line but it is my speculation. From there they created their own (which is usually a bad sign) and first looks at the game appear to show a somewhat weak offering given that it is a AAA pay title with subscription and cash shop.

I have never been an EQ fan but they have a lot of experience in this genre and IMO the best shot at decent MMO. Will it be as good as GW2, only time and probably another year will tell.

Sarcasm For Hire [SFH]
“Youre lips are movin and youre complaining about something thats wingeing.”

REAL bodies, with MASS!

in WvW

Posted by: Hurtappl.6405

Hurtappl.6405

I think it would be fun!
Just let dodge roll get you through people, get though knocked down people, and people who are in down state.
Maybe even be able to go through your allies but not enemies?? hmm

REAL bodies, with MASS!

in WvW

Posted by: katniss.6735

katniss.6735

I’d rather see something more practical put in place, like diminishing returns, rather than herding people into corners. Every “I can’t move” situation is a bad situation.

Server: Maguuma – Leafy Lass – Elementalist (WvW)
Guild: Bill Murray [Bill]/ [DERP]
twitch.tv/mlgw2

REAL bodies, with MASS!

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Does the OP mean real bodies, with VOLUME?

Most likely. Also, we already have mass: gravity killed me many a time.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

REAL bodies, with MASS!

in WvW

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

everyone and his mother will reroll as an Asura

REAL bodies, with MASS!

in WvW

Posted by: Jackmo.3428

Jackmo.3428

No friendly fire. Enemy collision would be fine. That would give defined battle lines and awesome strategy.

Sorrengild
ET Commander
Pro Guardian

REAL bodies, with MASS!

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

No friendly fire. Enemy collision would be fine. That would give defined battle lines and awesome strategy.

An acceptable compromise.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain