Ranger discrimination.. lol

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Heh whut? No other class provides veil, portal, and alacrity. You don’t bring a mesmer to a group for their damage.

That’s the point everyone is making -.-

Also lol @ alacrity, no-one brings a mesmer for that even in PvE.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Heh whut? No other class provides veil, portal, and alacrity. You don’t bring a mesmer to a group for their damage.

Oh really now? What PvE are you playing?

http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Utility_DPS_

Also, I feel like you really didn’t read what I originally wrote and are arguing against something someone else said.

I wrote that ranger becomes less effective the larger a group gets. Someone else pointed out that it is due to the damage being split between them and their pet. I agreed with that person. Then mesmer was brought up as also having damage split.

The point is that mesmer brings utilities to a large group that ranger can’t. Mesmer’s effectiveness is not measured by damage output alone. Ranger can’t compete in that regard.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

(edited by Chaba.5410)

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Also, I feel like you really didn’t read what I originally wrote and are arguing against something someone else said.

I wrote that ranger becomes less effective the larger a group gets. Someone else pointed out that it is due to the damage being split between them and their pet. I agreed with that person. Then mesmer was brought up as also having damage split.

The point is that mesmer brings utilities to a large group that ranger can’t. Mesmer’s effectiveness is not measured by damage output alone. Ranger can’t compete in that regard.

I stand by the alacrity comment, the mesmer is there for quickness not alacrity, it’s a nice bonus but if it was worth having vs anything else there would be 2 to ensure 100% uptime of alacrity. In WvW alacrity is so hilariously pointless to keep up it’s a bad joke to even mention it as utility.

I agree Portal and veil (only using one because life sucks for the mesmer if running both) are unparalleled utilities in strength when used right and a massive own goal when used wrongly. That doesn’t mean druid is devoid of excellent aspect of its own nor does it forgive both classes being at the mercy of low coefficients and horrible pet mechanics. Druid/ranger also does far better than mesmer in actual combat when numbers scale up but neither is in a great spot for that.

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

Plz no buffs to druid dmg unless they look at druid sustain + mobility/stealth first. Already have unkillable druids running around in circles while their pet and staff auto whittles down just about every non bunker build without good cc or disengage.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

I stand by the alacrity comment, the mesmer is there for quickness not alacrity, it’s a nice bonus but if it was worth having vs anything else there would be 2 to ensure 100% uptime of alacrity. In WvW alacrity is so hilariously pointless to keep up it’s a bad joke to even mention it as utility.

I agree Portal and veil (only using one because life sucks for the mesmer if running both) are unparalleled utilities in strength when used right and a massive own goal when used wrongly. That doesn’t mean druid is devoid of excellent aspect of its own nor does it forgive both classes being at the mercy of low coefficients and horrible pet mechanics. Druid/ranger also does far better than mesmer in actual combat when numbers scale up but neither is in a great spot for that.

Now you’re simply nit-picking for no apparent reason. Mesmer is the best class at providing quickness for a group too. Here’s the WvW meta build for mesmer, which also takes alacrity trait: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Chronomancer_-_Boonshare

The fact remains that of the pet classes with lowered dmg coefficients, mesmer is favored over druid in the current WvW zerg group composition for their utility and that isn’t going to change for the foreseeable future.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

(edited by Chaba.5410)

in WvW

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

Plz no buffs to druid dmg unless they look at druid sustain + mobility/stealth first. Already have unkillable druids running around in circles while their pet and staff auto whittles down just about every non bunker build without good cc or disengage.

What the hell kind of worthless build are you running that you are 1v1’ing on a glassy build without cc or disengage?

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in WvW

Posted by: Reh.5986

Reh.5986

What the hell kind of worthless build are you running that you are 1v1’ing on a glassy build without cc or disengage?

I don’t have trouble with druids at all on scrapper other than not being able to catch them when they run. Druids are capable of having great heal, great defense, tricky evades stealth invuln, great mobility and certainly enough damage to down someone in decent time.

The dmg isn’t great by any means but buffing it much without looking at everything else would probably just break wvw even more.

in WvW

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

A mesmer does boonshare if you run that, portal or veil and then generally has poor options for getting lootbags. This ties to what I and others have said, classes with pet mechanics suffer from lower coefficients and do a lot less damage in zergs vs equivalent specs on other classes.

actually it’s not that bad with the chrono. Lately i’m seeing a lot of Well chronos reking zergs when they drop the elite and calamity at the same spot twice in a row. Chrono is the lowest dps but you only need 18k dps to instakill an average player.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in WvW

Chaba.5410

A mesmer does boonshare if you run that, portal or veil and then generally has poor options for getting lootbags. This ties to what I and others have said, classes with pet mechanics suffer from lower coefficients and do a lot less damage in zergs vs equivalent specs on other classes.

actually it’s not that bad with the chrono. Lately i’m seeing a lot of Well chronos reking zergs when they drop the elite and calamity at the same spot twice in a row. Chrono is the lowest dps but you only need 18k dps to instakill an average player.

And getting the commander to give you squad participation helps too.

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

Posted by: Tifa.6473

Tifa.6473

Anyone who mains ranger in wvw and considers themselves “good” at zerging, should try playing a real wvw class (GREN) and see what they have been missing. If you are good on a ranger, you’ll probably be great on an ele or necro.

I’m guessing you play warrior or guardian. Spam 111111. Alot of skill needed lol.

Tifa
Reaper
Everything she touched crumbled to dust.

(edited by Tifa.6473)

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

You know what the best part of commanding with a Ranger is? The enemy never looks for a Ranger commander… Yep, don’t have all those good buffs for my squad that all of you non-selfish people want… but until they got about twice our numbers we wiped them a couple times.. oh ya.. that means that they really really suck because we are so bad.. almost forgot that part. Regardless, I pretty much didn’t get targeted so was able to keep the group going with the support people doing their jobs. Go figure that the commander does NOT have to be the beast of the group eh.

Go ahead.. take all your shots… they suck.. you suck… learn to play wvw.. baahaaaaa… Without bigger numbers… they die.. it is what it is.. and yes.. sooo much fun!

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

We all know everyone plays ranger to try to be as good as AJAX, but they all just don’t measure up, just a bunch of mouthbreathers!

Laughs

Glorious glorious Ajax.

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

in WvW

Posted by: alain.1659

alain.1659

Anyone who mains ranger in wvw and considers themselves “good” at zerging, should try playing a real wvw class (GREN) and see what they have been missing. If you are good on a ranger, you’ll probably be great on an ele or necro.

I’m guessing you play warrior or guardian. Spam 111111. Alot of skill needed lol.

But as a ranger player this guy is right. I have switched to ele after ranger/druid became something dislikeable. And now there are zergs and comms inviting me to their guilds, havocs offering to hang together. My life became so much easier. Now I will try a revenant and see if it becomes better.

in WvW

Tifa.6473

But as a ranger player this guy is right. I have switched to ele after ranger/druid became something dislikeable. And now there are zergs and comms inviting me to their guilds, havocs offering to hang together. My life became so much easier. Now I will try a revenant and see if it becomes better.

You shouldn’t have to change your class that you love to play for a pug commander. The only reason why you would run g,r,e or n is if your in a gvg group. It sounds like you need to change to a better server where the pug commaders let you run whatever class you want. It’s only guild group commanders that ask you to run certain classes. Rangers also give shared precision so bonus.

Tifa
Reaper

in WvW

Posted by: Jeknar.6184

Jeknar.6184

Rangers also give shared precision so bonus.

Since druids came out, I don’t think I’ve seen anyone running spotter.

Kawagima / Kelvena Riverstream / Calamis Fatima / Hanna Flintlocke
WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points
Mërcenaries [Sold] – Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

anduriell.6280

You shouldn’t have to change your class that you love to play for a pug commander. The only reason why you would run g,r,e or n is if your in a gvg group. It sounds like you need to change to a better server where the pug commaders let you run whatever class you want. It’s only guild group commanders that ask you to run certain classes. Rangers also give shared precision so bonus.

You did not read what he said, Alain is not talking only about commanders but the general public acceptance. That happens in any single group composition. So he did what he was forced to do, not because the people but Anet.

When Anet gets their facts right and make the ranger\druid to be useful that fkitten won’t happen again.

A healer druid that can’t heal, A pet master that can’t keep the pet alive, an archer that can’t snipe. Pick your choice. Also you should try playing exclusively with ranger in wvw for a month so you’d get some acknowledgement of what fellow players are saying here

I TOLD YOU SO

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

I continue to read with interest all these comments about how ‘not useful’ a Ranger is.. “can’t snipe” and so on. Very interesting.. I must have the only Ranger that runs with a minimum of 72% crit, around 3k power, 2500 toughness, 20k+ health… that’s able to put a crapload of hurt on someone. Of course people can block etc if they hit the right combos at the right time as well. Of course it’s not a dynamite killer that’s unstoppable… but… as I said in one of my previous posts.. when I hit my own combos just right and hit you at the right time you get powered down real fast. Saving the Bristle back pet skill for when you’re almost down is an awesome way to finish you off fast.

… and yes I can hit those cannons high up at south Hills, and in SMC. Oh ya, and sniping.. very few people get the ‘one hit’ goodies… but if I’m given a target I’m supposed to take down in a group.. I can usually take it down.

I will say it again and again if only to “hear” myself say it… Ranger is not as bad as everyone says. Yes it’s best use is in roaming and small havoc groups. But it’s not a negative to have a couple of Rangers in a zerg for special purposes… So MANY times I hear a commander saying… “RANGE Hit those cannons…” “someone hit that guy up there”.. and most people can’t.. but I, and other Rangers can.

If all you want is field fights and gvg type stuff then yes nuke the Rangers from your group and go guard, rev, ele, etc and have fun. But if you are looking at all around WvW then EVERY class has a place and a use and NO class is useless.

in WvW

alain.1659

May your server will never meet with good enemy thiefs then.

in WvW

anduriell.6280

I must have the only Ranger that runs with a minimum of 72% crit, around 3k power, 2500 toughness, 20k+ health…

Link to the build please? Just to know what you are talking about…

… and yes I can hit those cannons high up at south Hills, and in SMC.

Any weapon with 1200 range can hit those. Even 900 in the case of south hills.

So MANY times I hear a commander saying… “RANGE Hit those cannons…” “someone hit that guy up there”.. and most people can’t.. but I, and other Rangers can.

Seriously? Nobody? no even Ele that has better range than LB? And you can hit a dude using the cannon with the LB? Really?

If all you want is field fights and gvg type stuff then yes nuke the Rangers from your group and go guard, rev, ele, etc and have fun. But if you are looking at all around WvW then EVERY class has a place and a use and NO class is useless.

Well, Ranger is the exception there.
If the group needs pewpew better off with HamRev or even P/P thief they do hit hard. If they want a healer an Ele can do better. 9K RF in 2 seconds channel that most probably will be reflected is not what a call something bursty in this game.

I TOLD YOU SO

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

9K RF in 2 seconds channel that most probably will be reflected is not what a call something bursty in this game.

Coalescence of ruin cannot be reflected, hit the same number of targets, and can hit even harder than a fully chanelled rapid fire in a single hit. Only drawback is that it cannot shoot upward. But you cann just spam hammerbolt for that.

WvW Rank 3800 (Platinum Veteran) – PvP Rank 69 (Shark) – 25,9k Achievment Points

in WvW

Tifa.6473

You did not read what he said, Alain is not talking only about commanders but the general public acceptance. That happens in any single group composition. So he did what he was forced to do, not because the people but Anet.

When Anet gets their facts right and make the ranger\druid to be useful that fkitten won’t happen again.

A healer druid that can’t heal, A pet master that can’t keep the pet alive, an archer that can’t snipe. Pick your choice. Also you should try playing exclusively with ranger in wvw for a month so you’d get some acknowledgement of what fellow players are saying here

I agree that rangers should be useful again. If you read my previous post you would see that I want rangers to be useful again like they were back in 2012 to 2013 before they got nerfed heavily. The point I was trying to make is he stopped playing his class to make a pug commander not a guild commander happy and others with the same mentality. Changing class to an ele which is sad and I truely feel sorry for this player. I support rangers 100% and play a ranger as my prefered medium class in wvw on blackgate. I play the game for fun not to please others.

Tifa
Reaper

(edited by Tifa.6473)

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

I must have the only Ranger that runs with a minimum of 72% crit, around 3k power, 2500 toughness, 20k+ health…

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBjODbkRFKZxGWwiF4axyegB/Wzr/1lmQA4sxMwCY9uSceYA-TFCBABA8QE24IAYouhMV/hhLQgkKBje/htU+FAABwQH6QH6QHaDdnH9m38mlCQPlRA-w

This is the base build I posted a while back.. I tweak it now and then depending on what I want to do. The stats are close to what’s real in the game and that’s before utilities, food, and stacks.

——

So MANY times I hear a commander saying… “RANGE Hit those cannons…” “someone hit that guy up there”.. and most people can’t.. but I, and other Rangers can.
—-
Seriously? Nobody? no even Ele that has better range than LB? And you can hit a dude using the cannon with the LB? Really?

Read what I wrote… I didn’t say nobody.. I said “most people”.

This build is obviously by no means the be all end all.. but… it’s what I use very successfully a lot of the time. For a ranger I believe I do very well. Yes I get killed by all kinds if they are decent players. I’m an old fart and my reaction time isn’t what it used to be, otherwise I think this little pewpew would be even better. Colour vision is poor too so I can’t see the queues that other people can see when being marked etc, but do my best :P

All in all I continue to love my little pewpew… but I do indulge my Guardian, Ele, Rev, when the mood hits and the team needs it.

I should note that the stats I posted at the top of this note do include food, utilities, and stacks… with different skills being hit the crit goes over 100% and I’ve seen power as much as 3500 at times if I took time to look while I was fighting.. which I do now and then out of interest..

(edited by Balthazzarr.1349)

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBjODbkRFKZxGWwiF4axyegB/Wzr/1lmQA4sxMwCY9uSceYA-TFCBABA8QE24IAYouhMV/hhLQgkKBje/htU+FAABwQH6QH6QHaDdnH9m38mlCQPlRA-w

This is the base build I posted a while back.. I tweak it now and then depending on what I want to do. The stats are close to what’s real in the game and that’s before utilities, food, and stacks.

——

—-

This build is obviously by no means the be all end all.. but… it’s what I use very successfully a lot of the time. For a ranger I believe I do very well. Yes I get killed by all kinds if they are decent players. I’m an old fart and my reaction time isn’t what it used to be, otherwise I think this little pewpew would be even better. Colour vision is poor too so I can’t see the queues that other people can see when being marked etc, but do my best :P

All in all I continue to love my little pewpew… but I do indulge my Guardian, Ele, Rev, when the mood hits and the team needs it.

Lol are you so upset that no one asked for a link to your build that you had to do it yourself?
And no offense but you might want to keep that build to yourself…..

LGN

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

??? Upset.. he asked for the link.. laugh if you want… don’t give a rats kitten really… I’m not offended… you all can keep your trapper and condi… but if you think this one is funny then you just don’t know how to play Ranger.

in WvW

Jeknar.6184

Lol are you so upset that no one asked for a link to your build that you had to do it yourself?

Actually anduriell.6280 asked. He just don’t know how to cut the quotes right.

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

lol… true story!

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Didn’t see that, just saw him quoting himself, asking himself a question and then responding to himself lol.

LGN

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

??? Upset.. he asked for the link.. laugh if you want… don’t give a rats kitten really… I’m not offended… you all can keep your trapper and condi… but if you think this one is funny then you just don’t know how to play Ranger.

Lol sure thing buddy.

LGN

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

Lol. Come on give the old guy a break. Indulge me in my gw2 fantasy world.

It still kicks butt!

in WvW

Posted by: sephiroth.4217

sephiroth.4217

You can drop Well Of Calamity 4 times onto a zerg as a mesmer if running Mimic.

Continuum Split > Mimic > Well > Well > Continuum Split > Mimic > Well > Well.

Running Mimic lets you drop 4x Anything.

I mostly play for the new Free-For-All arena in PvP lobby.
….. And Elementalist.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

——

—-

I should note that the stats I posted at the top of this note do include food, utilities, and stacks… with different skills being hit the crit goes over 100% and I’ve seen power as much as 3500 at times if I took time to look while I was fighting.. which I do now and then out of interest..

MM, not that I am a fan of exuberance, but your build has base vitality outside of the rune set. Plus going overkill on crit can be bad if you get fury from somewhere. That seems like a pretty big waste of the set. I’d suggest marauders.

It’d look something like this: http://en.gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQNBjODbkRFKZxGWwiF4axyegB/Wzr/VmBWAr3tc7CAntSceYA-T1CBQBaRpnEeAAKU9nNcEAi2+D5R3AFuAAA4AIgFlBnRJIDOIBBAQAc0je0je0j2Qv5Qv5QvZpA0TZE-w

[I didn’t put marauder trinkets because they are hard to get]

The other thing is that I think it doesn’t make much sense to put bloodlust on your main weaponset since you can just build up stacks on swap outside of difficult battles. It would make more sense to maximize the damage on the main weapon.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

@ArchonWing:

Thank you for the advice… I will definitely give it a shot.. I’m open to all suggestions except those that don’t have a clue and just laugh.. lol.. .Thanks

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

oh I’ve had a look at this Archon… I have to say I like it a lot. I will be converting my ascended armor to marauders etc. and see how this one plays out. More power, more health, more crit damage… less crit and toughness but I believe it will be better than what I have now. It still keeps me away from the gimmicky trap and condi stuff. This won’t be the first change, and might not be the last… but it’s still fun and frankly that’s what matters.

in WvW

Posted by: Reverence.6915

Reverence.6915

The only time Ranger was ever viable in a zerg was when it was still the old melee train meta, when 5 rangers could focus target a single person (usually the commander) and either take him out or force him back and blow his cooldowns. It required having a massive blob to back them up. Nowadays, Guardians have a projectile block naturally as part of their kit and don’t have to sacrifice a utility slot for it to protect their backline (not counting magnetic aura reflects from frontline eles), making rangers basically worthless since you don’t do much damage as a melee since you have to build so much tank to survive the melee while providing little to no support to your team mates, and your ranged damage gets nullified most of the time.

Deal with it, stay out of the zerg, go skirmish and kill the thieves and mesmers, which you are really really good at.

Expac sucks for WvW players. Asura master race
Beastgate | Faerie Law
Currently residing on SBI

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

Ahh. I will go where I go. Of that you can be sure. And that is anywhere the mood hits.

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

Anyhow, to everyone, I’d like to point out the bloodstone fen reward tracks gives quite a bit of blood rubies that let you purchase ascended trinkets including marauders and also zealots. Unfortunately, the caveat is that you will need to farm some unbound magic (not that bad) and unlock the reward track by doing part of the story (that really sucked because it was very dialogue heavy— bring a friend or two) but you only have to do that once.The blood rubies are the bottleneck and would have normally really sucked but the reward track will definitely be the choice for any WvW player.

The other thing to watch out is that Anet despite making infusions general forced these bloodstone trinkets to be “unique” meaning you can’t have two bloodstone rings. You can have a ring and an amulet though and I’m happy with making them with zealot stats on my ele. There’s also a backpiece but it’s rather grindy.

Anyhow, better than raiding for sure.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

alain.1659

I agree that rangers should be useful again. If you read my previous post you would see that I want rangers to be useful again like they were back in 2012 to 2013 before they got nerfed heavily. The point I was trying to make is he stopped playing his class to make a pug commander not a guild commander happy and others with the same mentality. Changing class to an ele which is sad and I truely feel sorry for this player. I support rangers 100% and play a ranger as my prefered medium class in wvw on blackgate. I play the game for fun not to please others.

No no no. I never gave up playing ranger because of other peoples wishes. It was my own frustriation and dissappointment in this games idea of “ranger”. My first point in insanity was gifted me through our lovely pet system. Second was the useless utilities and badly designed weapons . Third was our so called specilization; “Druid” ( although the idea to make elite professions when you are unable to complete your core ones is far from smart). And my final straw was the insane amount of reflection in this game.

So you see, it is not because of other players. I still play ranger in pve. And when Anet decides to fix the problems (yeah yeah there are several in other professions too, but ranger is our discussion) I will give it a shot again. But it does not worth my effort. I can do “everything” better and smoother in other professions.

(edited by alain.1659)

in WvW

Posted by: Osu.6307

Osu.6307

You don’t have to switch classes for anyone. Play your stupid ranger for all I care. Any fool with a tag can lead an angry mob. Just don’t whine when decent commanders who care about composition kick you for not playing a real class.

I’ll see your 150 precision and raise you spammable rite of the great dwarf and resistance.

Osu

in WvW

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

You don’t have to switch classes for anyone. Play your stupid ranger for all I care. Any fool with a tag can lead an angry mob. Just don’t whine when decent commanders who care about composition kick you for not playing a real class.

I’ll see your 150 precision and raise you spammable rite of the great dwarf and resistance.

Plenty of not only decent, but kitten good commanders don’t force comps on people who play with them. A commander’s willingness to play without the perfect group composition has no bearing on their skill level. If anything, being able to adapt to the composition they have takes more skill than only being able to function if they have a specific comp.

in WvW

Osu.6307

Being able to get 60 puggers on your tag does not make you a good commander. Being able to roll over 30-man guild groups with your 60 puggers, also does not make you a good commander. Would you consider dropping open field ACs when the enemy comes in view to be “good commanding.”

Osu

in WvW

Posted by: Thelgar.7214

Thelgar.7214

Being able to get 60 puggers on your tag does not make you a good commander. Being able to roll over 30-man guild groups with your 60 puggers, also does not make you a good commander. Would you consider dropping open field ACs when the enemy comes in view to be “good commanding.”

None of that has anything to with comps. Nice job lining up three strawmen in the open field. Maybe you can knock them down with your open field ACs…

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

@ArchonWing:

Thank you for the advice… I will definitely give it a shot.. I’m open to all suggestions except those that don’t have a clue and just laugh.. lol.. .Thanks

Well here then http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vNAQJATWnUqA1CiNsAWsActgFCBbp0FAqawd1xab95LMt6ZlMtzA-TFCBQBbR5nEuCAM4QEAgHgQV2fQhq/IJlgGSXQAAEAu5Nv5Nv5NLFg5KjA-w

Based on what you are currently running I swapped some stuff for you to make you somewhat useful.

Staff over axe goes without saying. Not only does it hit more targets since the latest axe nerf, it also isn’t a projectile so you can still focus a target through the projectile hate. Staff also provides a water field, a blast finisher, and a 1200 range evade for repositioning.

I’m assuming you were taking healing spring for the water field and super slow group condi cleanse. Well now you can use shouts for a mobile group condi cleanse, you’ll have WHaO which is just a way better heal on half the cooldown, and thanks to the constant regen ticking (along with the signet, life steal on crit, and natural healing for pet, and heals from staff) you will be able to pop into CA much more often to use the mobile water field on rejuvenating tides, which you can self blast with a pet swap (clarion bond).

With shouts you don’t have any need for natural stride (shouldn’t need it in a zerg anyway). Celestial shadow will help you quickly reposition if you are getting focused. The other option is you could drop 1 or both signets, trait for glyphs, and bring another group stunbreak/condi clear.

LGN

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Also I’d personally drop the precision a bit and work on getting the ferocity up. You are going to have perma fury in a zerg and you were running over 80% crit chance without fury, meaning you were wasting stats.

If you roam at all and you use the same gear go with sigil of blood instead of fire. You’ll lose out on that little bit of aoe in zerg fights but you’ll get more life steal which helps recharge CA.

LGN

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

ok now we’re talking education! Yes I love this Ranger and have enjoyed what I did with it but from the looks of it I failed in a couple areas with it.

I didn’t understand, obviously, that I was wasting stats running it the way I was.

With the changes already made it’s already better than it was.. (ya I know, not a stretch, lol). And now I will check out your suggestions Jim.

I’m glad I started this thread. It’s been a slap here and there back and forth but in the end if I get a setup for my Ranger that makes me enjoy it even more I’m happier yet.

If anyone skips through all the stuff here (and I probably would ‘cause there’s so much), at the end of it all this is what it’s all about.

I didn’t understand what the problem was with Rangers in a zerg.
– I understand now

I thought I had one of the best builds yet for my Ranger
– I was wrong.. happily I will work with what’s been given and rebuild for more fun

I appreciate ALL the input, even the knee jerk responses, because they all have been useful in some way.

Now on to the rebuild… I will never abandon my Ranger, (but will use my other support classes in zergs/blobs).

Thanks all!

in WvW

Osu.6307

None of that has anything to with comps. Nice job lining up three strawmen in the open field. Maybe you can knock them down with your open field ACs…

Enjoy t4.

Osu

in WvW

Jim Hunter.6821

Yeah sorry if my posts don’t always come across as friendly, I’m a bit of an kitten but I’m an honest kitten. I know the ranger class inside and out which means I know exactly how effective (and ineffective) it can be in any situation. I can make a ranger work in a zerg but it isn’t optimal.

LGN

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

Yeah sorry if my posts don’t always come across as friendly, I’m a bit of an kitten but I’m an honest kitten. I know the ranger class inside and out which means I know exactly how effective (and ineffective) it can be in any situation. I can make a ranger work in a zerg but it isn’t optimal.

Hey Jim.. no worries there.. I can take a hit pretty good… and find something useful in it. I also know when to ignore garbage. I appreciate the input.

.. and I’m laughing at myself for that comment I made to you about knowing how to play Ranger… “face palm”. :P

in WvW

anduriell.6280

Ok but that build is not even close for what you said: almost 3K power and jadajada… I thought that much.
With 2.3K power and 161% crit damage you won’t do more than 9K with a full RF.
Also no real condi cleanses at all and no HP. Probably you spend a lot of time dead in wvw.

If you go for instagib the build that Archon gave you is very interesting:

But for WvW if you don’t want to spend dead most of the time, which is very annoying i would listen to the build that Jim Hunter gave you

That build is the standard Lb/Staff build.

But as you can see with your build you bring nothing Balthazzarr, not real damage, no any kind of support (no the trap every 30 seconds with no healing power i would call it anything) and not even a good chance of survive once one focus on you. A little bit of focus and you are going to have bad time.

I TOLD YOU SO

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

Definitely rebuilding based on the advice given. But I will say that I don’t spend near as much time dead in wvw as you might think. 3662 deaths (not all wvw) with 23,596 wvw kills, mostly on Ranger, very few on other classes.. not terrible I think.. and mostly group running.

I have to add as well that having “a person” focus me isn’t that nasty.. I can usually absorb a lot and believe it or not give a lot of damage out regardless of what you may think the stats show. Now give me 2 decent players hitting me at once and yes I get into trouble. I’ve seen Rangers take a lot more than me so it’ll be interesting to mess with these builds and see what comes out.

Having said that, I can already see that my so called “good build” wasn’t near the best….. Thanks again

in WvW

alain.1659

I can make a ranger work in a zerg but it isn’t optimal.

This. This was my point. With all the effort I put into ranger, and be a “good” ranger, I can be a great insert a meta class here. This is wrong. This needs a fix.