The state of WvW (as I see it)

in WvW

Posted by: Kamara.4187

Kamara.4187

I kinda feel like WvWvW players at this point are like a married man’s mistress who still believes he’ll leave his wife even though they just bought a new house. Make some other arrangements folks. :P

That burned a bit but was probably the most spot-on.

And people, go look who is the major share holder of the company. Its not the same rodeo that it once was.

Anet did make a great game, but not much you can do when a company like Nexon muscles their way in.

(edited by Kamara.4187)

in WvW

Posted by: Gudradain.3892

Gudradain.3892

Agreed and +1 to OP

Afala – Ehmry Bay

in WvW

Posted by: Quick Mouse.7635

Quick Mouse.7635

Nailed pretty much everything. Even with guild halls, they made the fighting arena too small for gvgs.
WvW is the only thing that has kept me playing past the 1 year mark, and really the only end-game content. Anet’s stance on the game mode, especially after Mike O’Brien’s comments, are really disheartening.

Tactical Fury [TF] – Late NA/early OCX driver (SoS)
Spirit of Faith [HOPE] – RIP

in WvW

Posted by: Bubby.6475

Bubby.6475

Please listen Anet

and more importantly make good changes to wvw that fixes these core problems.

FFWC forum moderators. :)

in WvW

Posted by: Nick.6972

Nick.6972

Just logged in to say this:

These kinds threads have been here on WvW forums for years. Arena Net doesn’t care about them neither they do they about you. You can make as devitalized and constructive threads as you want, it wont make any difference.
So either quit or accept WvW as it is because it won’t change.

(Haven’t played WvW for 7 months)

in WvW

Posted by: Julenal.3907

Julenal.3907

Just logged in to say this:

These kinds threads have been here on WvW forums for years. Arena Net doesn’t care about them neither they do they about you. You can make as devitalized and constructive threads as you want, it wont make any difference.
So either quit or accept WvW as it is because it won’t change.

(Haven’t played WvW for 7 months)

Yeah, but even after 3 years with little attention from developers it is still most engaging game mode in the game…

GM of Finnish gaming community guild “Frozen Dawn” [FD] since GW2 announce
GW player of 14+kh and Passionate Mind Wracker since 2005

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

I kinda feel like WvWvW players at this point are like a married man’s mistress who still believes he’ll leave his wife even though they just bought a new house. Make some other arrangements folks. :P

That burned a bit but was probably the most spot-on.

And people, go look who is the major share holder of the company. Its not the same rodeo that it once was.

Anet did make a great game, but not much you can do when a company like Nexon muscles their way in.

People always like to make excuses for Anet. “It’s owned by NCSoft.” Or, “Nexon made them do it.”

Fact of the matter is, it’s the Anet devs that are the problem. We know this from their own words and statements on WvW. Just look at the most recent one about no one being WvW-only players.

in WvW

Posted by: Lola.4172

Lola.4172

Lol .. sound advise but I disagree that we are the mistress .. no were the pig ugly cow their married to .. for the duration.

I posted a long response in the Video: Anet on Competitive gaming thread, trying to understand what Anet are doing and why. I m guessing, but with nothing better to go on ..

They need us just as much as we need them.
They are a corporation and speak Money and Numbers
We go on the forums and kitten about everything .. and is depressing for us to read!

Menaka nailed it, " Since even before the game was launched, ANet seemed to consider WvW as a “bridge” between PvE and (s/t)PvP: they never really acknowledged the game mode as something that people would be primarily interested in, even when the GvG scene was growing and WvW guilds and streamers had 10x the viewers than PvP (eSPOOOOOORTSSSSSSS)."

They admit WvW is the end game
They are putting time, money and most importantly, resources in to PvP
They are giving us a new map .. because the old ones are broken.
They are giving us Guild halls

WE don’t see ourselfs as PvE or PvP .. we’re a new(ish) thing, conceived as a way to get more casual players to become competitive gamers .. because competitive gamers, stay longer, spend more and do all the advertising for them on Social media.

If you want Anet to listen, to put money and time into WvW and give us more of what we want.. then we better become visible and relevant to Anets view of the game … not yours.

The wife better go get a makeover and come back fighting or this guys leaving with the new blond called … eSPORTS

RAZZ
mezmebaby

in WvW

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

Hahahahaha

Nailed it.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in WvW

Posted by: Deli.1302

Deli.1302

• Trebuchets were designed as the ultimate long-range attack weapon, they are used 90% of the time on short range behind the gates to destroy rams/alpha golems with no counter

As long as Anet allows 9 superior rams to be placed on a gate, which destroys a reinforced gate in less than a minute, I’m fine with gate trebs.
Nerf rams first.

in WvW

Posted by: redzerofighter.2381

redzerofighter.2381

I don’t think siege is a huge issue. There are ways to play around all of them, including trebs that are placed to defend gates.

I’m coming from a bronze tier server and it’s just PPT wars down here. Basically, if you have 24/7 coverage here, you will place first. It doesn’t matter if you have a blob at your server’s primetime – a nightcrew can easily outscore your server when your blob goes to sleep.

Overall, there’s not much to enjoy over time when it comes down to PPT wars. Less fights and less incentive to play WvW. I keep getting asked by people, what’s the point of playing WvW? We end up losing money over time.

Umi Sonoda
Guild leader of Love Live [Maki]
Ferguson’s Crossing [NA]

in WvW

Posted by: Atoss.1056

Atoss.1056

Well written by the opener, however I think all devs are busy with HoT and we won’t see any changes in the near future. Even after HoT is released I think they would have to spend some weeks/months working on bug fixes or additional content/living story stuff for the future. Looking into the past it’s hard to say “It’s Not Off The Table”.

in WvW

Posted by: samo.1054

samo.1054

Brilliant post OP, I just hope at least one Anet employee takes the time to read it, altho it should actually be written on a golden wall right at the entrance to the Anet building…

in WvW

Posted by: Sinner.3690

Sinner.3690

Seems like this Thread also triggered “Wolfineer”. He quoted it and wrote something of
his own, quoting OP.
Wolfineer: State of WvW
This gives me high hopes that Anet will pay attention to this.

Already told you, but once again here: Really well written. Keeping it alive.

in WvW

Posted by: DiscoJacen.1590

DiscoJacen.1590

In this case tho the “wife” is completely aware of the “mistress” and the husband is whistling in the corner pretending nothing is happening : )

[ZERK] [RuSh]
Underworld

in WvW

DiscoJacen.1590

At this point even a simple “we’re aware of it” would still be a victory in my book.

[ZERK] [RuSh]
Underworld

in WvW

Posted by: Melibeya.5094

Melibeya.5094

Siege wars are broken (and not fun)

Although some progress has been made on this account, siege wars are still completely broken and not fun.

• Cannons and Pots of oil are destroyed most of the time before they can even be used
  • Except some cannons that can hit from inner to outer gate, destroying rams and (alpha) golems without any counter (for example in Hills)
  • There’s only a handful of places in the whole map where it makes sense to place a ballista
  • Trebuchets were designed as the ultimate long-range attack weapon, they are used 90% of the time on short range behind the gates to destroy rams/alpha golems with no counter
  • Arrow carts can still be placed in silly places where you can’t counter them in any way and still hit through the gates

… and there’s probably a lot more I can’t think of right now.

Disargee. Don’t see problem with outer cannons/oil, if enemy are many you will die on the wall from aoe anyway.
With new camera ac can be down easyly in most of places.
Counter for inner cannons/trebs is omega golem, 10 omega golems, tons of omega golems…… At some spots you can place rams on max range, and cannon/treb won’t hit it, also if you have alpha golem use golem bouble(Skill 3, if you have 3—4 golems). For karma train blobs probably it’s a big problem, cause it’s funny when they don’t kill siege first, loose all supply and can’t even do something. For another situation kill their siege/ go another gate/wall, make distraction for scouts, use brain and tactics.

(edited by Melibeya.5094)

in WvW

Lola.4172

I would love to see one thread remain as a macro view on all the issues .. This one!

This isn’t, imo, the right place

RAZZ
mezmebaby

in WvW

Posted by: Shaylus.6124

Shaylus.6124

This needs to be looked at and actually acknowledged by anet, I pretty much only play gw2 for WvW and run a WvW only guild.

in WvW

Posted by: Vihar.5780

Vihar.5780

Bueller…..

Bueller……

Bueller…..

in WvW

Posted by: Conditioned.2467

Conditioned.2467

+1

fifteen lettters prevents spam or something.

in WvW

Posted by: phyrr.4750

phyrr.4750

+1 and to the top with you.

The golem rush and all this “special event” thing is just iodine in an open wound. Intentions might be good but the effort is so so very misplaced.

in WvW

Posted by: Peterson.8345

Peterson.8345

+1 to OP, very good job on writing this up mate

in WvW

Posted by: yanniell.1236

yanniell.1236

Pretty much what OP said.

[HUE]

in WvW

Lola.4172

I want more ppl to read this OP .. so .. Bump

RAZZ
mezmebaby

in WvW

Posted by: Shadow.3475

Shadow.3475

Rewards is the biggest problem as i see it, you get same reward for capping a undefended paper Keep as a fully upgraded keep that the enemy defend with all they have and then the reward for defending is way too low, instead of giving reward every 5min give reward after fight is done for defense and it should be at least as high as capping reward. But then you need to change so you don’t get same reward no mater on enemys and time.

in WvW

DiscoJacen.1590

Needs to be rebumped on page 1 since it’s one of the last serious threads^^

[ZERK] [RuSh]
Underworld

in WvW

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

Bump it to the top.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

in WvW

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

in WvW

Posted by: TheGuy.3568

TheGuy.3568

I am 5 days late but here’s your +1. Wish it could be +10.

Kor The Cold Heart War
Wrekkes-Engineer Kore Rok Thief-Asraithe-Ele

in WvW

Posted by: SinisterSeven.2781

SinisterSeven.2781

WVW is really the only way you can take your entire guild into battle. The only mode where your performance is a direct function of your character’s build, and the team dynamic between your parties and player’s willingness to work together.

It’s really annoying anet, and the pve playerbase don’t give a crap about it =[

I always encourage people who have never tried pvp, and are having problems with the game (character dying, build not matching playstyle) to enter wvw and see how their character stacks up. even the most mediocre build in wvw is enough to nearly endgame trash most if not all pve challenges out there (barring fractals, which require agony resist)

Without wvw, gw2 loses a lot of its replayability to me. =[

in WvW

Posted by: Over.2137

Over.2137

The way they “manage” WvW is going to kill it and I believe we aren’t so far from it, everything will become EotM-Queensdale Train very soon if nothing happens

in WvW

Posted by: Teevell.1684

Teevell.1684

Here to keep this thread on the front page, so maybe someone from Anet will read it.

Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

I miss the matchup threads, funtimes.

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Sadly, they are easily countered if you understand placement/siege (and yes, without golems). This is a bit of hyperbole.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

The implementation of Edge of the Mist into a karma train was a huge blow to WvW. We expected new content and instead we got a map used for PvE where people avoid fight. It should have been added in the PPT map rotation and improvements to all maps should have been made accordingly. Then the PPT system and reward system needed serious rework to be constantly engaging. Instead Anet added nothing at all beside 3 commander tags colors and an annoying siege disabler.

Kind of late now (but never too late) to fix a game mode that has been drying out for 2 years. So many of my friends left the game because of the lack of WvW improvements.

Half of the people left that are playing WvW are doing it for fights, open field GvG/scrims, and the WvW community of guilds/friends. They don’t care about the way Anet thinks WvW is played (arrow-carts, siege disablers, golems, ramming gates, etc)

The expansion will give us some landscape variety, which is nice, but if they don’t make the PPT engaging, work on server balance and the reward system, then 6 months later we will be back where we are now.

in WvW

Posted by: Ilias.8647

Ilias.8647

agree with ~90% of OP

Currently residing on … Gandara[EU]

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

Remember this post from Devon Carver? It’s been over 2 years and WvW is pretty much in the same state it was back then. Actually, if possible, it is in a worse state.

I cry when I read that post from Devon… it sounds like he really wanted to make this a better game mode, but I believe he never actually got to it because he didn’t get the chance: restricted funds, no say in things… sad really.

I agree with most of your points aswell.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in WvW

Posted by: Coyote.7031

Coyote.7031

I think the only thing I’d add is how expensive certain sigil and runes are, which could fall under rewards or gear. Most of them aren’t used in PVE, but are from old events and you can no longer get them and/or the recipes to make them. It seems weird to me to have builds with a gold requirement attached to them. Sure there are alternatives, but you generally don’t want to the second best option when you are fighting other players. Add in the fact you can’t salvage WvW gear anyway, so you have run a crafted set or buy it, just so you can salvage it later. Like look at the cost of a Sigil of Generosity, Torment, or Bursting? Or Perplexity runes. And then their’s the price of food.

in WvW

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

WvW doesn’t generate revenue for anet – thus it is shafted, a la sPvP.

They will not spend time , resources, etc to satisfy this small crowded of dedicated WvW players.

HoTs new WvW map is about all the WvW community can expect for the next couple years lol.

Gemstore gemstore and more gemstore – thats what anet’s focus is on. Spending resources on a non revenue generating task is not time well spent.

in WvW

Posted by: Entenkommando.5208

Entenkommando.5208

Actually it should generate quite nice revenue. Since you don’t make nearly as much money in WvW as in PvE many gemshop transactions will have to be done with real money instead of gold. Not to mention the server transfers.

R.I.P Kodasch Allianz [KoA]

All we wanted was a GvG.

in WvW

Lord Kuru.3685

Actually it should generate quite nice revenue. Since you don’t make nearly as much money in WvW as in PvE many gemshop transactions will have to be done with real money instead of gold. Not to mention the server transfers.

Not only this, but sPvP is hardly shafted by Anet. They LOVE sPvP and spend an inordinate amount of dev resources on it considering how much of a failure it has been.

in WvW

Posted by: SkiTz.4590

SkiTz.4590

Not only this, but sPvP is hardly shafted by Anet. They LOVE sPvP and spend an inordinate amount of dev resources on it considering how much of a failure it has been.

I highly doubt anet gets a high volume of server transfers…It doesn’t make a blip on their revenue radar compared to how many PvE casuals get in line to buy the latest skins, hair dyes, styles, kits, etc to continue playing barbie doll wars 2.

if they LOVED sPvP there would be :

1.WAY more game modes. 3 years of NOTHING new except some junk map (skyhammer) and finally ONE.. ONE!!! DM map lol. That doesn’t scream LOVE to me.

2. Balance patches. They come out every 6-8 months lol. the meta moves terribly slow. Some classes remain OP for so long and some classes remain useless for so long.

Now I do agree sPvP gets more attention than WvW, no doubt about that. but what they truly love is PvE. everything else is secondary. The reason pvp gets more attention from devs than wvw is simple – they believe gw2 spvp has a chance at being e-sports (we all know thats not happening). They will keep trying thou!

in WvW

Lord Kuru.3685

I highly doubt anet gets a high volume of server transfers…It doesn’t make a blip on their revenue radar compared to how many PvE casuals get in line to buy the latest skins, hair dyes, styles, kits, etc to continue playing barbie doll wars 2.

if they LOVED sPvP there would be :

1.WAY more game modes. 3 years of NOTHING new except some junk map (skyhammer) and finally ONE.. ONE!!! DM map lol. That doesn’t scream LOVE to me.

2. Balance patches. They come out every 6-8 months lol. the meta moves terribly slow. Some classes remain OP for so long and some classes remain useless for so long.

Now I do agree sPvP gets more attention than WvW, no doubt about that. but what they truly love is PvE. everything else is secondary. The reason pvp gets more attention from devs than wvw is simple – they believe gw2 spvp has a chance at being e-sports (we all know thats not happening). They will keep trying thou!

Transfer costs might not make a ton of cash for Anet, but from what I’ve seen, WvW players love their skins, hair styles, dyes, etc. just as much as PvE players — and WvW players have less gold.

As for PvP:

They stayed with only one game mode because they have a vision for their game and absolutely refuse to change that vision. “You’re going to play conquest and you’re going to like it,” is their attitude. They do this for other parts of the game as well.

For example, their attitude on WvW is basically: “WvW is for casual PvP, it’s supposed to be unbalanced, and it’s merely a launching point for players to move from PvE to PvP.” Never mind the fact that WvW is much preferred by the playerbase over PvP (and fits the theme of a “casual” MMO much better).

PvP is in the terrible shape it is not because Anet doesn’t love it, but rather because they insist on the awful conquest gamemode and because they simply have an awful balance team. Basically, they love it, but their incompetence makes it look unloved.

in WvW

Posted by: Tirien.1326

Tirien.1326

Agreed. I’ve been playing this for a few weeks now, and i thought that there was a point in doing this game mode, i was certain that at the end of the month you get something for helping winning or something.

But there’s just no point in doing it, i wish they took some of the ideas that WO had, locking down zones to raid capital city. Atleast something…

Meh

in WvW

DiscoJacen.1590

That is the worse part of all this.

The mode could be made better with really EASY steps like wvw leaderboards, monthly rewards based on server score, wvw gemstore items, a better control of the npcs in your towers, etc….

[ZERK] [RuSh]
Underworld

in WvW

Lola.4172

Well you could put NA & EU back together again. GW1 we all played together nicely
It would solve a lot of problems.

up

RAZZ
mezmebaby

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Well you could put NA & EU back together again. GW1 we all played together nicely
It would solve a lot of problems.

up

Not the ping problem.

in WvW

Posted by: Gandalf The Grey.1058

Gandalf The Grey.1058

+1. More people need to see this and comment.

in WvW

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

Seems like we have at least an official acknowledgement of many of the issues reported earlier in a video from John Corpening (he starts talking at 0:48)