Update: No WvW Rating Reset

in WvW

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

BG has already been in T1 a couple of times and failed to keep its position there. BG has placed 3rd in T1 every week it has been there except for maybe 1 week a long time ago. I’d say the system is working as intended.[/quote]

The only reason we dropped to T2 was because we wanted to in anticipation of the reset. We were actually slated to be second last week before we started to tank it.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

in WvW

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

even if ratings dont get reset the math needs to change.

my server blackgate NA for example. we are in t2. we have significant ratings over everyone else who is in t2. the other factions in t2 are decent quality…. but we beat them week in and week out.

shouldnt we move up in ranking? according to the system which apparently works now, the answer is NO

no matter what happens in t1 ( as long as it isnt a blowout) all t1 factions will remain at higher rating…. look at the scores now, the losing faction is GAINING RATING.

the average rating in t1 is somewhere around 2160

blackgate LOSES rating for a SIGNIFICANT win in tier 2.

throughout the history of matchups the only way matchups significantly changed was due to direct player involvement. players “bandwagoning” off a server that was losing was the only way the server would drop rating. now that free transfers are over NA bracket will be very stagnant after about 2 matchups. kaineng is the only wild card. they will most likely move up to t2 with us because of player transfers that happened before free transfers was over.

my prediction: in 3 months guild wars 2 will have had many tiers with the same matchups lasting for months and months.

WE WANTED ratings reset and a new math system for the change…. but we would have liked 1 day matchups for 1 week to shuffle the rankings faster.

this is an inappropriate response to player complaints. we need changes to glicko, just not too major of a change, and a reset probably would have been acceptable with 1 day matches.

scrapping the entire idea because of short term negative effects is not a good long term strategy. in 3 months when factions havent moved up or down a tier in 1-2 months youll hear of complaints of stagnation …. people will get bored, too bored to complain in forums and instead theyll simply slowly stop playing.

TL DR
should have kept the changes but made 1 day matchups for a week to help the ratings to settle faster.

If you think that any system of ratings is going to prevent stagnant matches, you’re wrong.

The fact is there’s only so many servers, and there are even less that should be matched against you.

We don’t want blowouts, nobody does.
The compromise is that, if you want balanced matches, it’s going to be against the same servers every week. I would settle in and get used to your opponents over the next few weeks, because when your server finds its home in tiers, it’s gonna be hanging around.

^this^

The scary thing is that there are people here who seem not to grasp that.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in WvW

Posted by: stwg.7589

stwg.7589

This has its ups and downs but the fact that SOR exploited SBI’s rating to jump into Tier 1 after 2 weeks is pretty unfair to Blackgate, which spent months in Tier 2 fighting to get back to Tier 1 just to be sent down after two weeks from that whole situation.
Just saying

Dr Shroomi

(edited by stwg.7589)

in WvW

Posted by: Mohmohchan.4120

Mohmohchan.4120

i love you devs. thank you so much for hearing us out!!!!!!!

in WvW

Posted by: GSTim.8094

GSTim.8094

This whole reset thing is Anet’s act of foolishness and shows us their real attitude to WvWvW content. They just don’t give a s**t about it. Honestly. They didn’t think about consequences, they didn’t think about balance, they thought about nothing but silly experiments which implementation only stoned developer can take seriously.

PS: Honestly, now I’m worried about WvWvW future…

(edited by GSTim.8094)

in WvW

Posted by: SniffyCube.6107

SniffyCube.6107

I wouldn’t have used your same words gstim, but I agree with you.

The Black Tides
[TBT]
Èl Cid

in WvW

Posted by: Bananasmile.4126

Bananasmile.4126

Thank you ANET!!!

Strikethree, Kinetix (Ki)
Aug 2012 (IoJ) → Jan 2013 (FA) → June 2013 (BG)

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Thank you Habib

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

Posted by: crystalpink.2487

crystalpink.2487

Thankies for not resetting the ratings ^-^

Euphemia Hime (Elementalist), Pinky Pearl (Mesmer), Avicenia (Ranger), Vanille Morgana (Necromancer)
Chibi Asura San (Engineer), Hikaru Masai (Guardian), Selene Minerva (Revenant)
Guild: The Bunnies [Bun] ~ Server: Jade Quarry

in WvW

Posted by: Retrospek.4583

Retrospek.4583

Not sure why so many are happy that they aren’t resetting the scores. Resetting the scores will achieve the same results, just in a much shorter time (ie, top servers that suck would fall down, and the better servers would rise to the top).

Ah well, I guess with all the things that Anet could ignore and not fix, this is another they can add to their list.

in WvW

Posted by: Churros.7196

Churros.7196

Not sure why so many are happy that they aren’t resetting the scores. Resetting the scores will achieve the same results, just in a much shorter time (ie, top servers that suck would fall down, and the better servers would rise to the top).

Ah well, I guess with all the things that Anet could ignore and not fix, this is another they can add to their list.

How would it be shorter if the end result would be what we will have next week?

In your opinion 4 weeks or more = 1 week?

You think the top 4 servers wouldn’t be JQ, SOS, SOR, BG if the rating were reset?

in WvW

morrolan.9608

The objections have been that it won’t, which is obviously what anet’s analysis has also revealed. Tiers are close to being stable.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

Posted by: Arcadio.6875

Arcadio.6875

There are no top tier servers at the bottom and no bottom tier servers at the top. The worst we have is some servers in the middle that should drop a tier or two (which would result in some deserving servers going up a tier). Scattering servers all over the place won’t achieve the same results in a shorter time. Not resetting the ratings was the right decision.

Lord Arcadio
League Of Ascending Immortals [OATH]

in WvW

Retrospek.4583

Plain and simple, it had nothing to do with their analysis, congrats to the vocal people on here crying enough to get what they wanted, and protect their server standings in the top tiers.

It would have been nice, even if it mixed it up for a few weeks to have different matchups. And I still stand behind the fact that with all the server transfers that took place during the free period (especially right before paid transfers) there are many servers that are out of balance right now.

Edit : Really, what Anet should have done, was not only reset the scores this week, but should have placed the servers based on server population. Then it would have been balanced based on server population, and the chips would fall where they may after that.

(edited by Retrospek.4583)

in WvW

Posted by: Xinthai.6175

Xinthai.6175

Blackgate would still be in Tier 1 if they hadn’t announced this stupid reset. Turning their back on it is ridiculous.

Captain Giggles – 80 Necromancer
Aurelia Celeste – 80 Mesmer

in WvW

Posted by: silverfire.2547

silverfire.2547

The only reason we dropped to T2 was because we wanted to in anticipation of the reset. We were actually slated to be second last week before we started to tank it.

PSA: Match fixing doesn’t typically work out the way you intend it to in the long run. Not only is it unsportsmanlike, you’re also still at the mercy of your opposition.

Mira Alluvion (Me) | Hanna Bulwark (W) | Sophie Dusthaven (Th)
[CoSA]/[WWGD] // Sorrow’s Furnace (since August 2012) US West Evening Shift

in WvW

Posted by: Sypsy.7318

Sypsy.7318

Set server ratings to:
1500+((Current Rating – 1500)*0.5)

This will help fix the ratings problems/gaps caused by mass transfers while keeping our tiers and of course avoiding several rounds of blowouts. The 0.5 can of course be changed to whatever ANet thinks will work best.

Please.

+1.

I agree that compacting the scores towards 1500 would help. This should be done quarterly or monthly too. Not sure whether the glicko2 math would accept this though.

JQ
Elemental Concept
Illusionary Concept

in WvW

Posted by: Vodka.3958

Vodka.3958

This has its ups and downs but the fact that SOR exploited SBI’s rating to jump into Tier 1 after 2 weeks is pretty unfair to Blackgate, which spent months in Tier 2 fighting to get back to Tier 1 just to be sent down after two weeks from that whole situation.
Just saying

Hahah it’s landing SoR in third place and their actually going 100% this week. Blackgate really wasn’t anticipating for A-Nut to fall back on their publicly announced decision to reset, but I’m sure we will be back in T1 very, very soon

Commander [ICoa] Hollywood Fiend
Primal Emperor of Imperial Coalition
imperialcoalition.enjin.com

in WvW

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

I wonder – if there were a (name anonymous) survey – how many of the reset’s most vocal opponents would not be from servers who are currently steamrolling in tiers they’re too well-populated for? I would guess: Not Many

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

(edited by Advent.6193)

in WvW

Posted by: fishergrip.4082

fishergrip.4082

I can agree that SoR’s exploitation of SBI to gain a ton of points was lame, but BG might have avoided falling to T2 by performing better in T1 and not dogging it in an attempt to exploit the reset.

Also, SoR is much stronger now than when BG last fought them. They took a lot of SBI players and are a legit T1 server now.

On TC we spent something like 7-9 weeks grinding wins over lower ranked servers in the top position of T3 before moving up to T2. BG has had its chances in T1 and probably will again. TC is basically going to be rank 5-6 forever at this point, always losing to BG, SoR, or whoever else is #4, but you don’t see us whining about it. If you really want to be T1 again, win by bigger margins next time. I can say for certain that the SoR we faced last week would be beating TC and FA a lot more than BG is right now.

Maid Of The Coast

in WvW

Posted by: AnyaOokami.6205

AnyaOokami.6205

Well, yay. Here is to another several weeks of being stomped repeatedly by a server way too massive for it’s tier (T8). Oh well though. As nice as it would’ve been to have a chance to actually compete with another server (compete being the key word) – I’m sure that things will eventually change in our future.

Anya Shadowstorm [LFG]
Ferguson’s Crossing

in WvW

Posted by: Henrik.7560

Henrik.7560

Great. I feel so sorry for Tier 8, they get their butt kicked and SF can’t move up, now they had their chance to get away, but now its cancelled and they stay there.
Rating reset was an awesome idea, I thought it would actually happen….

Arcane Bastion [AB]
Elementalist Mesmer Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in WvW

Posted by: Imperial.5892

Imperial.5892

Thx arena net for 1 more WWW FAIL. All servers start figth at this week and now we see what it’s was useless! GJ!

in WvW

Posted by: Hebril Amolebin.9817

Hebril Amolebin.9817

Honestly,I think Anet have no idea what to do with wvwvw. First after the last patches the servers are awful there is skill lag the culling is worst then ever. Even the slight improvements are gone. And now this reset-no reset thing…I doubt they know how the servers match. We on SFR are tier 1 in eu.But got tired of Vizunah square. They have strong Canadian presence and we lost our usa guilds with the free transfers end. So we didnt play for a week just to drop and have fun in t2. But now after basicaly having a blast in t2 we are now stuck in t1 with vizunah…..

in WvW

Posted by: RaGe KaGe.7031

RaGe KaGe.7031

Thanks Anet /sarcasm,

I would’ve rather went with a reset and had the servers balance out quicker than deal with overpopulated sorrows furnace for another whole week at least in WvW. Yeah the next week might have been rough as well for us due to our low population but at least the servers might have balanced out a bit quicker.

Sincerely,
A frustrated Fergusson’s Crossing player

in WvW

morrolan.9608

Thx arena net for 1 more WWW FAIL. All servers start figth at this week and now we see what it’s was useless! GJ!

So the previous 5 months were useless as well?

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

morrolan.9608

Thanks Anet /sarcasm,

I would’ve rather went with a reset and had the servers balance out quicker than deal with overpopulated sorrows furnace for another whole week at least in WvW. Yeah the next week might have been rough as well for us due to our low population but at least the servers might have balanced out a bit quicker.

Sincerely,

So the reset should have been done purely because T8 is unbalanced? Cause looking at the matchup site the rest of the tiers are all stable therefore as has been stated there is no reason for the reset. SBI is perhaps the only server that is a tier too high but they’ve done just enough to stay in T4.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

Retrospek.4583

Not necessarily useless, but the point being that without the score reset to deviate the scores enough to move a rank up or down, it will take weeks (since the last 5 months have built up the standard deviations).

With the reset, yes, the next few weeks will be jostled around quite a bit, but it will settle much faster where the servers truly belong.

In a nutshell, try averaging 40 numbers and moving the average up or down 10 points, then try averaging 4 or 5 numbers up or down 10 points. It moves much faster with the lower amount of numbers. Same thing would happen with a reset, without it, it’s going to take weeks if not months for servers to settle where they belong, with most weeks being the same matchups over and over again even for servers getting steamrolled or doing the steamrolling.

in WvW

Retrospek.4583

Thanks Anet /sarcasm,

Sincerely,

So the reset should have been done purely because T8 is unbalanced? Cause looking at the matchup site the rest of the tiers are all stable therefore as has been stated there is no reason for the reset. SBI is perhaps the only server that is a tier too high but they’ve done just enough to stay in T4.

Again, read my post above. To move the standard deviation when this many numbers has been put into the system requires much more to move it. Before they announced they weren’t going to do the reset, the matchups for next week were nothing like they are now.

I wished I had took a screenshot of the next matchups before the new announcement so that the argument of “every matchup looks pretty even right now” could easily be debunked.

in WvW

Posted by: Detharos.3157

Detharos.3157

I still think the math behind the rating system needs some major tweaks. As it stands, tier 8 gets far too punished for simply.. being tier 8. No other tier ends up with the rating gaps ours always seems to have, yet there really isn’t a big difference between a authentic tier 7 server’s numbers/coverage and a tier 8 server’s number’s and coverage. As it stands if a “Rising Star” starts forming in tier 8, it causes much more damage due to the length of the ascension to our WvW population’s enjoyment of the game than it would beginning in any other tier. Paid transfers are finally in effect, but there’s still no guarantee that entire hardcore WvW guilds won’t ever transfer seeing as the leader of my 350+ strong WvW guild has enough coin in the form of item investments to literally transfer half of our guild to a higher tier if he so wished. What I’m saying is that, paid transfers aren’t going to stop any major guild wishing to transfer from making a unified gold pooling tactic to… transfer. Its still literally easily accomplish-able over the course of a week or two for 2-3 major guilds on any server or across multiple servers to make concessions and agree to transfer over to a lower tier server and again break a tier. And the problem is, if that’s tier 8 UNLIKE other tiers who ironically aren’t that much stronger than ours at all cough tier 7 cough we have to endure the brutal ascension of a bandwagon transfer server for upwards of one-two months longer than tier 7 or any other tier would have to.. and why? Because we’re that weak? No, Ferguson’s Crossing proved itself capable of beating this former tier 7 server and had enjoyed great matchup with them despite the disparities in night crew presence, up until they unexpectedly received a whole bunch of transfers. Furthermore the gap in points between ours and pre-transfer SF wasn’t actually very different from Henge of Denravi’s. Once again, its the same crap on a different day(and server), just like Devona’s Rest, just like Kaineng albeit nowhere near as bad as Kaineng. And yet in the end we will have been drilled by them for what will probably be turn out to be a total of a month and a half before they finally get the heck out.

Seriously, fix tier 8’s rating, or whatever math is behind it. Go ahead and make ArenaNet characters on all the servers of tier 7 , participate in WvW for a week through all the timezone periods and then try it on our currently demoralized and weakened, in comparison to one-weeks ago, tier 8 servers, and lastly on Sorrow’s Furnace and compare to see for yourselves if our server really is “35-45% worse” as your fail rating system always seems to falsely hint.

Tier 8 deserves equal treatment to other tiers, and whatever the broken/fail math is that is in play that causes 300+ rating gaps to ONLY happen in our tier, clearly needs to be fixed. It’s only too bad that there’s gonna be so many “QQ somewhere else plox things are fine” people popping out of the woodwork. Twice as annoying when 95% of them are the same losers who bandwagoned their sorry hides over to lower tiers because tier 5-tier 2 was “too hard for them”. And yes before any unnecessary replies occur, I know its balanced matchups that matter in the long run. I’ll be happy when things fix up in tier 8, but just because we might get a balanced match up a month from now doesn’t mean its perfectly right for our tier to be 400 rating points behind tier 7, a gap unheard of between any other tier. Funny thing is I don’t really care about advancing if we get a balanced matchup that actually lasts for once, however its still unfair in all regards if the populations in tier 8 literally have to WORK three times as hard as any server in a higher tier to advance. That’s the very definition of imbalanced. And as I mentioned earlier, the threats of mass transfers are still very real. I don’t know any level 80 that can’t make 30 gold easily in a few short hours of play within 2 days if they put their minds to it, enough to buy the gems to literally transfer to any server they choose. The threat of transfers is still out there, and tier 8 shouldn’t be designed less capable of adjusting to that threat than other tiers for no valid reason at all.

Basically, please fix your rating system ArenaNet.

Dathaul, 80 Melee Ranger
Ferguson’s Crossing server.

(edited by Detharos.3157)

in WvW

Posted by: kidbs.8920

kidbs.8920

Just saying

Hahah it’s landing SoR in third place and their actually going 100% this week. Blackgate really wasn’t anticipating for A-Nut to fall back on their publicly announced decision to reset, but I’m sure we will be back in T1 very, very soon

Don’t count on SoR being in third place by match end. If BG truly did tank their match last week on purpose then that was just silly on your part.

SoR – Nethernoz (Necro), Zealot of Pain (Guardian), William The Butcher (Ranger)

in WvW

Posted by: Imperial.5892

Imperial.5892

Game first of all it’s fun. Many servers are dead now because of transfer and ppl’s who will fight with them don’t will get any fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Misty Red Rose.9320

Misty Red Rose.9320

Thanks Anet /sarcasm,

Sincerely,

We feel for you ReGE.. I’m on the Isle of Janthir and we are now a low population server. It doesn’t matter how well your server plays, you will always lose, because you will always be ganked by the server who has 5-10 players for every one you have out on the field. I was hoping they would match up by populations and then let the chips fall where they may.

in WvW

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

Good move Arenanet (no sarcasm)

As much as I would all like to play different servers for some variety (or map completion) this will stop the huge blowouts we would have been seeing next week.

in WvW

Posted by: SmokeyNYY.7841

SmokeyNYY.7841

Haha kinda amusing to see all the BG players complaining now…you guys threw a match and now its not resetting…ohh isn’t it ironic?..Good luck being in tier 2 for a long time since Kaineg is coming up and you will probably never gain ratings.

(edited by SmokeyNYY.7841)

in WvW

SniffyCube.6107

I still think the math behind the rating system needs some major tweaks. As it stands, tier 8 gets far too punished for simply.. being tier 8. No other tier ends up with the rating gaps ours always seems to have, yet there really isn’t a big difference between a authentic tier 7 server’s numbers/coverage and a tier 8 server’s number’s and coverage. As it stands if a “Rising Star” starts forming in tier 8, it causes much more damage due to the length of the ascension to our WvW population’s enjoyment of the game than it would beginning in any other tier. Paid transfers are finally in effect, but there’s still no guarantee that entire hardcore WvW guilds won’t ever transfer seeing as the leader of my 350+ strong WvW guild has enough coin in the form of item investments to literally transfer half of our guild to a higher tier if he so wished. What I’m saying is that, paid transfers aren’t going to stop any major guild wishing to transfer from making a unified gold pooling tactic to… transfer. Its still literally easily accomplish-able over the course of a week or two for 2-3 major guilds on any server or across multiple servers to make concessions and agree to transfer over to a lower tier server and again break a tier. And the problem is, if that’s tier 8 UNLIKE other tiers who ironically aren’t that much stronger than ours at all cough tier 7 cough we have to endure the brutal ascension of a bandwagon transfer server for upwards of one-two months longer than tier 7 or any other tier would have to.. and why? Because we’re that weak? No, Ferguson’s Crossing proved itself capable of beating this former tier 7 server and had enjoyed great matchup with them despite the disparities in night crew presence, up until they unexpectedly received a whole bunch of transfers. Furthermore the gap in points between ours and pre-transfer SF wasn’t actually very different from Henge of Denravi’s. Once again, its the same crap on a different day(and server), just like Devona’s Rest, just like Kaineng albeit nowhere near as bad as Kaineng. And yet in the end we will have been drilled by them for what will probably be turn out to be a total of a month and a half before they finally get the heck out.

Seriously, fix tier 8’s rating, or whatever math is behind it. Go ahead and make ArenaNet characters on all the servers of tier 7 , participate in WvW for a week through all the timezone periods and then try it on our currently demoralized and weakened, in comparison to one-weeks ago, tier 8 servers, and lastly on Sorrow’s Furnace and compare to see for yourselves if our server really is “35-45% worse” as your fail rating system always seems to falsely hint.

Tier 8 deserves equal treatment to other tiers, and whatever the broken/fail math is that is in play that causes 300+ rating gaps to ONLY happen in our tier, clearly needs to be fixed. It’s only too bad that there’s gonna be so many “QQ somewhere else plox things are fine” people popping out of the woodwork. Twice as annoying when 95% of them are the same losers who bandwagoned their sorry hides over to lower tiers because tier 5-tier 2 was “too hard for them”. And yes before any unnecessary replies occur, I know its balanced matchups that matter in the long run. I’ll be happy when things fix up in tier 8, but just because we might get a balanced match up a month from now doesn’t mean its perfectly right for our tier to be 400 rating points behind tier 7, a gap unheard of between any other tier. Funny thing is I don’t really care about advancing if we get a balanced matchup that actually lasts for once, however its still unfair in all regards if the populations in tier 8 literally have to WORK three times as hard as any server in a higher tier to advance. That’s the very definition of imbalanced. And as I mentioned earlier, the threats of mass transfers are still very real. I don’t know any level 80 that can’t make 30 gold easily in a few short hours of play within 2 days if they put their minds to it, enough to buy the gems to literally transfer to any server they choose. The threat of transfers is still out there, and tier 8 shouldn’t be designed less capable of adjusting to that threat than other tiers for no valid reason at all.

Basically, please fix your rating system ArenaNet.

This is one of the greatest posts I have read yet and I completely agree with you but I feel that it will never be read by anyone that works for anet. It seems they only cater to massive QQ posts about people switching to that new skyrim game if they do the reset.

The Black Tides
[TBT]
Èl Cid

in WvW

Posted by: Black Ice Spain.9753

Black Ice Spain.9753

Why the worries?, arenanet simply listened to the community. Hands down because of it, not many companies do. Personally i’ve always thought and hoped that they would realise that tiers were already mostly balanced and doing a reset would kill this for one month.

Only the LAMERS who care more about bit-points more than their own fun and have been playing with the score the whole previous week are crying here.

Anyways, what’s a tier? it’s just a way to balance servers, personally, i like T2 more than T1 for example, at least at the time i played on those tiers, T2 was funnier.

Black Ice Spain – Desolation
Just a remind, whatever i post is my opinion, not representing any community i’m part of.

(edited by Black Ice Spain.9753)

in WvW

SniffyCube.6107

Obviously you have 0 idea about the situation in lower tiers. Wish people would take some time to learn about how things are going before they post misinformed statements about how everything is working fine.

How do you know it would mess things up with the new math? Do you have any idea about what the new match ups would have been in two – three weeks? Who said the tier 1 servers wouldn’t rapidly rise? These 50k point gaps do mean something and when servers above you are deadlocked its VERY hard to move up (near impossible for tier 8 ). So anet was intimidated by people saying they are going to leave for ESO and buried their collective heads into the sand saying that things are “fine as is” when the unbalanced tiers is what prompted this move in the first place. It is very close-minded to assume this system would be worse without seeing said system in place. Honestly, these comments thanking arenanet get more and more ridiculous as this thread goes on.

The Black Tides
[TBT]
Èl Cid

(edited by SniffyCube.6107)

in WvW

AnyaOokami.6205

This is one of the greatest posts I have read yet and I completely agree with you but I feel that it will never be read by anyone that works for anet. It seems they only cater to massive QQ posts about people switching to that new skyrim game if they do the reset.

Agreed. It’d be nice if ANet would consider finding some sort of compromise here for those of us suffering such one-sided battles in WvW. Fine – the masses do not want to “lose” their ratings that they’ve fought so hard for. Understood. I don’t want my server (FC) or those on Eredon’s Terrace to keep losing so horrendously week after week.

I have to admit that it is a bit demoralizing to see all three borderlands plus EB totally green on a consistent basis – and then watch as they justify spawn camping us because we might be trying to put up a bit of a resistance.

I’m not asking that they give us a win. I’m asking that we be given a fair chance to fight instead of being so overwhelmingly overwhelmed. The only way that is going to happen is if ANet intervenes and helps us out a bit by either setting up 24hr-48hr matches to speed balance the tiers, or to do a population survey per server and re-match servers based on that.

Something has to give here – and the truth of it is if things don’t change – FC and ET are both going to crumple soon. We’ve fought for so long against intense adversity, against multiple heavy-pop servers. We’re known for our tenacity. But even the hardcores are eventually either going to pack-up and head to better servers, or they’re going to stop playing altogether – because what is the point in continuing to fight, minus the thrill of taking down an enemy fighter – if we’re not going to gain anything from it?

At some point this stopped being fun, for me – and I’m incredibly competitive – which is why I check in once in a while now and help out when/where I can, but I don’t devote as much of the little sliver of relaxing time I actually have, to it.

That’s the wrong attitude – some might say. But at least it’s a healthy choice for me.

Anya Shadowstorm [LFG]
Ferguson’s Crossing

(edited by AnyaOokami.6205)

in WvW

SniffyCube.6107

Agreed. It’d be nice if ANet would consider finding some sort of compromise here for those of us suffering such one-sided battles in WvW. Fine – the masses do not want to “lose” their ratings that they’ve fought so hard for. Understood. I don’t want my server (FC) or those on Eredon’s Terrace to keep losing so horrendously week after week.

I have to admit that it is a bit demoralizing to see all three borderlands plus EB totally green on a consistent basis – and then watch as they justify spawn camping us because we might be trying to put up a bit of a resistance.

I’m not asking that they give us a win. I’m asking that we be given a fair chance to fight instead of being so overwhelmingly overwhelmed. The only way that is going to happen is if ANet intervenes and helps us out a bit by either setting up 24hr-48hr matches to speed balance the tiers, or to do a population survey per server and re-match servers based on that.

Something has to give here – and the truth of it is if things don’t change – FC and ET are both going to crumple soon. We’ve fought for so long against intense adversity, against multiple heavy-pop servers. We’re known for our tenacity. But even the hardcores are eventually either going to pack-up and head to better servers, or they’re going to stop playing altogether – because what is the point in continuing to fight, minus the thrill of taking down an enemy fighter – if we’re not going to gain anything from it?

At some point this stopped being fun, for me – and I’m incredibly competitive – which is why I check in once in a while now and help out when/where I can, but I don’t devote as much of the little sliver of relaxing time I actually have, to it.

That’s the wrong attitude – some might say. But at least it’s a healthy choice for me.

Everything you’ve said mirrors this server as well. I am sure there are other match ups where the servers are frustrated and will be getting destroyed in that same match up for a month or so because this rating system “isn’t broken."

I’d even settle for the simple green win goes up red loss goes down…

The Black Tides
[TBT]
Èl Cid

(edited by SniffyCube.6107)

in WvW

AnyaOokami.6205

Everything you’ve said mirrors this server as well. I am sure there are other match ups where the servers are frustrated and will be getting destroyed in that same match up for a month or so because this rating system “isn’t broken."

I’d even settle for the simple green win goes up red loss goes down…

I’d settle for that as well. It’d keep the playing field seriously dynamic – instead of static, as it is now. We’d certainly run into uneven matches – but those would last a week – not months on end.

If logged correctly, and with an accumulation of “win points”/“lose points” with that sort of system – there could be a bi-yearly bracket-competition with the points arranging the brackets. There would be a clear “winner” for the Top-Server cup, twice a year. It could be interesting. Also – it’d give everybody a chance.

Anya Shadowstorm [LFG]
Ferguson’s Crossing

(edited by AnyaOokami.6205)

in WvW

Posted by: Rose Solane.1027

Rose Solane.1027

Update 2/7/2013:

At the same time we’ve been evaluating some possible changes to the math we use to calculate ratings. After examining a number of new methodologies for weighting the outcomes of matches we have found that our existing formulas already do pretty much what we want them to do. Certainly none of the candidates that we tried yielded better results.

ArenaNet looked at new ways to calculate the next match-ups and found out that the current one is better then the alternatives they looked at. So they decided not to reset the ratings. I would say that is a good thing. Maybe it was better if they had done the calculations first before communicating a rating reset. But which ever way they had done this a lot of people would have complained on this forum.

I am happy with the moment they communicate the reset of the reset. Some servers choose to anticipate on the rating reset last week. Intentionally losing is not permitted in most games. Those servers are now complaining about the timing. Sorry, you cheated, and now you face the consequences.

Piken Square, The descendants of Gwen

in WvW

Posted by: Vodka.3958

Vodka.3958

Haha kinda amusing to see all the BG players complaining now…you guys threw a match and now its not resetting…ohh isn’t it ironic?..Good luck being in tier 2 for a long time since Kaineg is coming up and you will probably never gain ratings.

Not even complaining bro; JQ has coverage that is unmatched and with free transfers over i doubt they will be trumped from the throne anytime soon. I hope exploiting SBI’s rating was worth it, because now you’ll be in third place for a very, very long time…

Commander [ICoa] Hollywood Fiend
Primal Emperor of Imperial Coalition
imperialcoalition.enjin.com

in WvW

Posted by: Nymph of Meliai.6739

Nymph of Meliai.6739

You think the top 4 servers wouldn’t be JQ, SOS, SOR, BG if the rating were reset?

You mean JQ, SOS, SFR, VS?

I think this is part of the problem here… Anet is listening to American players and ignoring the EU players.

Other than cracking down on exploits… there are only three major issues that Anet need to address… 1) night capping (i.e. rewarding skill over numbers), 2) better rewards for wvw, 3) culling

I have already suggested that night capping be dealt with by increasing the points for an outmanned server and decreasing the points for the server that has more players on the map… for example, the server with fewer members scores more points for holding Bay than the server with more players – this is on a server basis not an individual player basis.

However, the situation on US servers could be made more interesting if Anet introduced a Asia/Oceanic set of servers.
This still does not detract from the problems on the EU servers where French speaking Quebec players play on EU (Fr) servers for language reasons… perhaps the US servers could have both a Spanish and a French speaking set of servers to encourage these players to play on their own timezone servers.

The way things stand at the moment VS will always be no.1 on EU servers… not because of skill but because they will always out-man all the other servers during the night. That is why SFR threw a week in order to play with some other opposition but we see a similar situation with Canadians playing on JS for French language reasons… although not as damaging as VS (I mean, the other night we had no walls or gates on Garrison, no supplies, no siege, outmanned on the map, and 10 of us managed to defeat the JS zerg and the Kodash zerg at the same time – that wouldn’t have happened with VS) it still demonstrates that there is a need for a French speaking US server.

Nymeria Meliae | SoS
Acid Bath Babies Go Plop Plop [FizZ]

in WvW

Posted by: Nymph of Meliai.6739

Nymph of Meliai.6739

oh and if you do introduce a French speaking server to the US set of servers… you need to give a couple of weeks free transfer again to allow the Quebec players to move to their own timezone and you would need to reset the server scores to allow the Quebec players a chance to be placed according to their ability amongst the US servers.

Nymeria Meliae | SoS
Acid Bath Babies Go Plop Plop [FizZ]

in WvW

Posted by: Xispeo.1706

Xispeo.1706

The only annoying aspect of keeping the current system is that we were expecting to fight some new servers and not our usual opponents. Variety is refreshing.

Vizunah – Zorèy/Crystalizer

in WvW

Posted by: Dra Keln.2015

Dra Keln.2015

You guys should delete most of the old data slowly as you get more of it. Eventually you’ll have data that’s all from post server lock.

80 ele
Yaks Bend

in WvW

Posted by: Buffalo Sabres.1072

Buffalo Sabres.1072

What a bad joke.

in WvW

Posted by: Muan.1029

Muan.1029

You mean JQ, SOS, SFR, VS?

I think this is part of the problem here… Anet is listening to American players and ignoring the EU players.

Other than cracking down on exploits… there are only three major issues that Anet need to address… 1) night capping (i.e. rewarding skill over numbers), 2) better rewards for wvw, 3) culling

I have already suggested that night capping be dealt with by increasing the points for an outmanned server and decreasing the points for the server that has more players on the map… for example, the server with fewer members scores more points for holding Bay than the server with more players – this is on a server basis not an individual player basis.

However, the situation on US servers could be made more interesting if Anet introduced a Asia/Oceanic set of servers.
This still does not detract from the problems on the EU servers where French speaking Quebec players play on EU (Fr) servers for language reasons… perhaps the US servers could have both a Spanish and a French speaking set of servers to encourage these players to play on their own timezone servers.

The way things stand at the moment VS will always be no.1 on EU servers… not because of skill but because they will always out-man all the other servers during the night. That is why SFR threw a week in order to play with some other opposition but we see a similar situation with Canadians playing on JS for French language reasons… although not as damaging as VS (I mean, the other night we had no walls or gates on Garrison, no supplies, no siege, outmanned on the map, and 10 of us managed to defeat the JS zerg and the Kodash zerg at the same time – that wouldn’t have happened with VS) it still demonstrates that there is a need for a French speaking US server.

Impressive knowledge of Vizunah dude, in french language we call posts like yours “etron”.

Muan — Janitor of [CaSu]
Vizunah Square

in WvW

Retrospek.4583

You guys should delete most of the old data slowly as you get more of it. Eventually you’ll have data that’s all from post server lock.

That’s actually a great idea, if they kept, say 2 months of data for the average/deviation of the servers, this should make moving up and down a little quicker, and would provide more variety in matchups. This idea would also push servers to hold their ranks each week moreso than it does now, as once you build up enough of a lead, it’s possible to “relax” for a few weeks.