Want the old maps back?[186 Signs]

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

./fixvoidpage

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: Huddi.8297

Huddi.8297

Yes, please =)
Alternative: MORE WAYPOINTS (always available, not contested)

in WvW

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

Yes I want the old maps back.

A reskinning and I would be one happy player.

for example
Borderlands 1: Kryta-A lush and green area rich with fertile soil.
Borderlands 2: Ascalon-Scorched ground.
Borderlands 3: Maguuma Jungle-Dense jungle.

The map locations of objectives, forts, etc… all stays the same, but the theme of these borderlands are skinned over.

Possible updates in the future theme related: castles, forts, dolyaks, mobs, zone trash, npc’s, guards, bosses, etc…

JQ Druid

(edited by Wetpaw.3487)

in WvW

Posted by: Marxx.5748

Marxx.5748

Nope, keep the new ones.

in WvW

Posted by: headraver.4862

headraver.4862

YES! i want the old maps back at least in the old maps the other teams came to defend there borderlands now there just perma empty and karma trained ya get more of a fight out of the npc at the towers and keeps rather sad

in WvW

Posted by: erKo.9586

erKo.9586

The list is now updated. I’ve read all comments and I agree fully to you guys that want the old maps back – it was more fun and I really loved every second of it!

[WvW] Thanks Anet for listening to your players during 2016.
Far Shiverpeaks – EU – Since release.

in WvW

Posted by: MethaneGas.8357

MethaneGas.8357

I like the new ones a lot more. The old ones just felt… “cold” and not really fun. The terrain was too bland and open, nothing really exciting in it except the middle part which they brought. The middle part was awesome but no one ever went there because nothing of interest was there… which left the surrounding map. It had nothing interesting in it – almost no verticality, almost no cool places to kite or teleport to or juke enemies, etc. Sure, it had SOME good places, but most people didn’t even go there (centaur camp, skrit camp, etc.) – places with cool terrain you can kite around or teleport to or hide behind. The new map has lots of interesting areas like that, but I feel like they are placed in areas where people are more prone to visit and fight in, which created interesting fights.

The new map has so much diversity in it. It has lots of little alleyways and bridges you can use to escape, lots of nice choke points, places to juke zergs, etc. It also has excellent places to teleport to (like the hanging bridges/towers in the middle of the map). The keeps are also really wacky and interesting and imo super fun to roam in. I’ve spent quite some time roaming within the red keep while it was being invaded and it actually feels like the keep is being stormed by enemy troops (as silly as it sounds) and it feels like one person, or a small roaming group could easily make a difference.

The new map is also a lot nicer to look at and uses a lot of warmer colours which gives it a nice feel. I used to spend the first however many years roaming almost exclusively in EB because I did not like the BLs… now I’m starting to like BLs more because the fights there are so much more dynamic and interesting. I think Anet did a really nice job making the maps, and I think people don’t play it because 1) they don’t like change (almost no one does, at first) and that drove it to point 2) people refused to play the map because of point #1, and this made the maps empty. Since the maps were empty, people wanted to play them even less. So one thing led to another.
Just my opinion

This is all from a roaming perspective

Necro, Ele, Mesmer, Guardian and Warrior, DR[OHai]
YouTube Channel

(edited by MethaneGas.8357)

in WvW

Posted by: Brutelas.2903

Brutelas.2903

Yes! Get this trash desert map out of here. It looks nice but terrible for WvW so repurpose it as a PvE zone and give us alpine back.

Brutelas Lvl 80 Revenant
DragonBrand
Dawn Of The Sacred Knights [DAWN]

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

I have nothing good to say about the new BL’s except they’re visually great and would make great PvE maps.

Too bad we’re not in PvE. Alpine design, please.

in WvW

Posted by: ionix.9054

ionix.9054

NO. I have been sick of Alpine for the last two years…

in WvW

Posted by: Fizzee.1762

Fizzee.1762

Yup, but won’t happen. Devs don’t care what its forum goers think.
If you want to get rid of BLs you have to convince everyone to stay off them regardless of EB queue.
That won’t happen and so their metrics still show people play on them. The metrics don’t indicate if people playing on the bls are having more or less fun.

in WvW

Posted by: Shukriyya.7629

Shukriyya.7629

Add me to the list of people who’d like the old map back. I used to mostly defend my home border during the 2.5 years I played wvw before HoT was released. Nowadays I don’t even set foot in it any more. It just takes way too long to get to the southern part of the map. I also hate all of the shrines – they should never have been added, not even in EotM.

RoF

in WvW

Posted by: Hubal.8571

Hubal.8571

Yes. I wand the old maps back.

But not because I particularly miss them, but because they were designed with WvW in mind. These ones are obviously designed by people clueless about siege strategy (or any multiple way conflict strategy I think) and obviously quite ignorant about WvW in general.

Why ?

In alpine BL the fortification made tactical sense – for example the inner towers – both of them were placed so that any enemy trying to attack garrison from back, HAD to run by them. No only that, the siege placed inside was able to reach up to outer keep walls. Each fortification had a view to the next one.

This had purposes – any enemy wanting to siege the garrison with catas or other siege, would have to mind that defenders in tower could build and use counter-siege to destroy theirs. Scouts stationed in towers could spot and report the enemy movements.
True – if tower was captured, it could be used to attack outer walls of the keep. But only outer ones, and could be attacked from keep as well – which from risk/benefit ratio of map defense made sense.
The people in the HOME border had clear advantage to enemy invades – as I believe it should be ! After all if you would plan your home defense you would design it to give yourself an edge.

The lower towers – the “enemy” ones – had more aggressive purposes – both as a foothold on enemy territory and a first point from which a siege war could be initiated. In both cases you could not ignore the towers for their strategic value. If you did – even if you heavily outblobbed the defenders your efforts could be wasted. The design had brain, and more reason than “I think this will look cool so go ahead”. The placement of things in BL had purpose.

In new BL the upper towers serve no purpose. You can have them or not – their only purpose in match is providing points. Both defenders and attackers can safely ignore them. As invader the only tactic you need is to blob up, and go karma-blob stuff one after another, in whatever order you want.

The new central Keep placement and design is terrible. It practically can be siege bombed from anywhere around.
It’s extremely vulnerable to trebs – those can be placed on the many surrounding hills in such a way that they are hidden by the terrain which makes counter-siege extremely hard.

The current WvW design team apparently have not bothered with trying to understand the original design, they seems to not understand the game mode. They have not bothered with feedbacks from HoT beta’s, they believe they know better than people that within last years spend thousands of hours in this mode.
It’s pretty reasonable that they will not be able to fix the current maps. Both cost/time wise and resource wise. Do they even have the original WvWvW architects ? So that is the reason that my vote would be to have old BL back.

in WvW

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

yes. i want the old maps and mechanics back. no banners. no op guild kitten, als old way of balancing wvw( SEPERATE from spvp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) wvw used to be in better shape before anet got lazy with balancing and put wvw and spvp together. what is op in spvp might not be op in wvw and what is op in wvw might mean nothing in wvw. for example. glamour mesmer builds were pretty bad in spvp, but destroyed entire zergs in wvw…..

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

Yes, to stop the bleeding until they can come up with a better solution. They should send the DBL back to PVE where they belong and start over with maps actually designed for WvW game play in mind. Take it back to the drawing board keeping PVP as priority, making it so players spend more time in PVP action and less time getting to it. Strategically place structures to make them them worthwhile to take or defend and design it to make what you do actually count. Make it so when you play those maps you are having nonstop PvP action in them you do not notice the time it takes to to the action. You do not need to add gimmicky BS to keep people entertained when they are actually having fun playing the game mode.

Though they may have waited too long already, many of those boycotting the new DBL have started playing other games now and may not come back since they waited too long to fix it.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

in WvW

Posted by: ArchonWing.9480

ArchonWing.9480

This sort of reminds me of my Starcraft/Starcraft 2 days where pro map makers would get bored and introduce maps with more gimmicks. Sometimes they were interesting to watch, but more often than not they were epic failures that were horrifically imbalanced and ruined many a career.

A lot of folks who just wanted to practice and get better would prefer more straightforward maps, not necessarily a flat piece of land but simply more standardized and intuitive mainly because they were more interested in killing the other player instead of trying to fight the map itself.

Particularly notable in the first Starcraft where a lot of the Blizzard maps were interesting looking, but map selection dwindled down to a few standard ones on which gameplay could be remotely balanced and that would set the basis for pro maps later made.

But it’s really not about balance more than it is about intuitive content. I think a player vs player environment with overly complex rules and mechanics that are overwhelming to the point where it dominates everything results in a game with a really low skill floor, but also a really low skill cap. That means, you either get it, or you don’t, and that what determines success or failure. Kinda shallow if you ask me.

I think complexity gets confused with depth at times. That’s simply not true. For example, look at a lot of house rules people put on board games and console games at times. “You can’t use this because reasons” , “You get more money if you land on this square”, “This exception, because I don’t like it….” This makes the rules more complex, but not necessarily increase the depth of the game. When placed in an actual game, they’re often called gimmicks.

Sure, sometimes it’s more fun that way, but by adding arbitrary rules everywhere just because one feels like it, causes a lot of inconsistency while not adding much depth. You’re adding a tons of stuff and rules everywhere, so if someone just came in, they would take a while to adjust and suffer a disadvantage against someone else that hasn’t. Sure you can derive “skill” from it, bu that’s not interesting.

Right now, there’s just too much ’stuff" without a foundation on how it all should interact.

For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards,
for there you have been and there you will long to return.

(edited by ArchonWing.9480)

in WvW

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

I think the majority of ppl want the old maps back. Some like the new. I guess just make everyone happy and put them in rotation like you said you were going to from the beginning. Or, really shock me and just put wvw back to alpine until you get ur kitten together, start communicating better, and get the imaginary overhaul close enough to being usable (after asking real wvw players from each tier, EACH tier what they want, compile a frikkin list for once, let players vote on it) and then implement it.

and p.s. just erase the frikkin middle unless you put a large stadium-like, round, 3 entrance place for people to fight with no pve interruptions or stupid swithbacks, similar to the alter where the laser is on the tower behind the stonebreaker guy in eotm.
problem solved

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Nope, keep the new ones.

^All they need is to fix the new map, altough we need more maps, the thing i always hate is the map rotation, would prefer a small continent with several maps, guild could specialize in each content, but for this would be needed a megarserver ermmm :P

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in WvW

Posted by: aboahmad.9216

aboahmad.9216

Guys anet is doing really bad things to roamers and wvw they was good before but now they bad check new wvw most players has quit gw2 and now in wvw maps we dont have players on all maps cuz anet and most guilds has quit game and dont forget anet developers are pve players they think doing good for wvw but they keep killing wvw was before so much fun in wvw but now gw2 is dead anet please we need old maps back to play gw2 i have many friends quit this game

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

Nope, keep the new ones.

^All they need is to fix the new map, altough we need more maps, the thing i always hate is the map rotation, would prefer a small continent with several maps, guild could specialize in each content, but for this would be needed a megarserver ermmm :P

No, there is too much wrong with the new maps to " fix it" and anything short of scrapping it and starting anew would not be enough to make people think it worthwhile to come back that left.

The maps are too big, focused on running and diverting from fights rather than keeping players in the action. They cannot resolve that with minor tweaks here and there, the terrain is bad, the placement of structures is bad, the environmental factors are bad. It would be easier to scrap it than try to fix it.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: kooiu.2457

kooiu.2457

Yes, I want the old maps back.
Dessert borderlands are dead, even the most stubborn person will acknowledge this fact.

in WvW

Posted by: Sikhtar.6042

Sikhtar.6042

As someone else already stated, the old maps were made with WvW mindset behind (strategic position for towers and keep), while the new maps seems just another pve area where you have to struggle against terrain and npc instead of, you know, fight other players.

So… Yes, I want the old maps back.

in WvW

Posted by: Raf.1078

Raf.1078

Yes.

I sign in, get my lil blue chest, open it, throw everything into inventory.

Check to see if I can get into EB. Not tonight…35 man queue…sign out and go play some other game.

GW2 for me since the new BL’s rolled out.

PF/ GOAT on Tarnished Coast (Semi-Retired)
Raf Longshanks-80 Norn Guardian / 9 more alts of various lvls / Charter Member Altaholics Anon

in WvW

Akkeros.1675

i actually made a post on the ehmry forum just to see officially where everyone went. I wanted to know if people were still around and I didn’t see them when I play, took a break until ANET fixed stuff, or actually quit and too many of the answers were actually quit. I was quite saddened by this.
We are not a top tier server population-wise but we are by no means a bottom tier server either. At our highest peak with all wvw-oriented guilds and zerg busting guilds we were able to muster enough people to beat Mag and Crystal Dessert, which we simply cannot come close to covering now. Even then, i doubt we would have had enough to do EBG, and other maps, they are simply too big and too disgusting to travel too.

in WvW

Posted by: Jovani.9207

Jovani.9207

If we in fact need to have the new BL’s can’t they just rotate the new and old ones on a weekly basis so that we all have some common ground?

in WvW

Posted by: MidoriMarch.8067

MidoriMarch.8067

Seriously i miss the old BL map

100x times better than the current BL map

in WvW

Posted by: erKo.9586

erKo.9586

6 days – 42 names and still hundreds/thousands of players out there that already left the game & who doesn’t read the forum. But 42 names are better than just mine in the list. If you got friends/guilds ingame that want the old maps back please contact them and tell them about this thread.

[WvW] Thanks Anet for listening to your players during 2016.
Far Shiverpeaks – EU – Since release.

(edited by erKo.9586)

in WvW

Posted by: nacario.9417

nacario.9417

I want the new BLs to be more open/made so thst fights n roamers more oftrn has an incentive to visit such open places. Im tired of the old BLs, new background is always nice

Power Ranger PvP
I used to be a power ranger, now not sure anymore

in WvW

Posted by: Joey.2769

Joey.2769

Yes please
/15 characters

Commander X Swagalicious X
Commander Twerknificient
Joey Bladow

in WvW

Posted by: Buy Some Apples.6390

Buy Some Apples.6390

The current devs couldnt design a MOBA map, thats how bad they are

Complained about WvW before it became cool.
I used to be a PvE player like you, then I played Guild Wars 2

in WvW

Posted by: Trepidation Lost.3469

Trepidation Lost.3469

yep new maps might be good for pve’ing zergers, but as someone who mains roaming the new maps killed this game for me atm

in WvW

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Yes, why do I need to always wait in queue for EB. Give us the old bl maps. The new ones are horrible.

in WvW

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

The old maps aren’t coming back. It’s not how Anet works.

in WvW

Akkeros.1675

Went to home bl after logging into EBG and notice our side is ok and tag is halfway across the map.
Saw two people on my team after 30 minutes. Talked to myself in chat announcing air keep is being taken. Air keep gone. WP to Garri (or whatever it is called now) see swords, look around at all the directions i would have to check by myself to defend.
“B”
Run toward tag half way across the map, they go rt, i go right, they go left, my screen freezes….twice…zerg pops OS on my face, dead.
log out….close

in WvW

Posted by: TJgalon.5012

TJgalon.5012

Both maps seem perfectly fine. The desert one feel a bit more fun, but I could care less whch one it is i play on, just that we try to crush the other two teams.

in WvW

Posted by: DontPaniC.8740

DontPaniC.8740

Yeah I kinda do. It was more balanced

in WvW

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

I don’t think it would matter at this point anyways as most of my fighting guild died along with the stab changes and the constant disregard to the game mode.

I find myself playing other games myself simply because they decided to give up on WvW. I guess if you believe the water cooler chit chat they are working on a redo, but over the last year(s) it has become clear to me that they have no clue whatsoever on what WvW is.

To address the OP though I believe the ship has sailed on getting the old maps back. But I would say yes so that those that have not experienced them get a chance to see what fighting players and not the map was like at one time.

in WvW

Posted by: hedix.1986

hedix.1986

I have nothing good to say about the new BL’s except they’re visually great and would make great PvE maps.

Too bad we’re not in PvE. Alpine design, please.

Indeed. The new maps are pretty, but design was never a primary issue with WvW. Also, especially with the Fire keep in the Desert BL – it’s massive and impressive so kudos to the designers, but when you’re running around looking for the enemy, stopping to admire the view is not your top priority, is it? And everything is tall. As a mist soldier, you only see the bottom part of everything and you don’t get the sense of this grandeur, so all that design is wasted. The only thing that enables you to appreciate this design are the vistas. And the verticality is making the gameplay annoying. I really don’t understand whose brilliant idea was to do that when so many WvWers complained about the jumping puzzley aspect of EotM.

Alpine BL was much more moderate on the other hand. It has gradiose structures etc, but they were more visible that on the new map.

So, I’m taking a break until WvW Tournaments, when they promised true WvW map Alpine is coming back.

[QQ] – ex RoS, current Piken Square
[DV] – megaboss community

in WvW

Posted by: iggy.3910

iggy.3910

Not necesarily. Would be a cool experience (with the new skills ), but probably it will get boring soon.

What I would like is to have the center of the maps completely removed along with it’s event and also to switch back to the old system = no auto upgrades => flipping camps and escorting dollies have a purpose => roaming and scouting have a purpose. Plus, removing the center pile of kitten would shrink the maps to a decent size (I find the size of the old maps more apropiate…it wouldn’t take you 10 minutes to get back into a fight after getting ganked)

in WvW

Posted by: Indie.4129

Indie.4129

Adding the old maps back will not save wvw like so many people seem to hoping, i think its nostolgia for the earlier days. While the old maps where nice, and the new maps are a poor attempt to force their playstyle of wvw on the population. more wvw guilds left before the new maps due to mechanics, poor balance choices (stability for example based around 5v5), and in general a lack of attention/understanding/concern/false promises from anet.

in WvW

Posted by: Tspatula.9086

Tspatula.9086

Yes, bring back Alpine map.

in WvW

Posted by: BlacK.4927

BlacK.4927

+1

in WvW

Posted by: Hennet.1530

Hennet.1530

I would do anything to get the old maps back I am already sick of the new ones. How many times has the fire keeps lord just stand in the lava so it makes it very easy to cap.

in WvW

Posted by: PriestBlack.4791

PriestBlack.4791

+1
with some of the new mechanics

in WvW

Posted by: msalakka.4653

msalakka.4653

I absolutely do want the Alpines back.

I loved those maps and miss them every time I log on. They were perfect (to the extent that any map is, really) for the game mode. They offered great venues for battles, provided space for interesting strategies yet got out of the way when you just wanted to carve some meat. Whoever designed that map understood the game mode. Whoever designed the new one, does not.

Gutter Rat [cry] | Gandara | Roaming nuisance
~ There is no balance team. ~

in WvW

Posted by: Dangus.6572

Dangus.6572

Yes I do. They might be modified a little. Please no more mazes and no gliding in WvW.

[Underworld][ZERK]

in WvW

Posted by: Maladon.5760

Maladon.5760

Old map please

Malzarius – Guardian
Malzerius – Thief
Dark Covenant (SBI)

in WvW

Posted by: Lawrencii.1356

Lawrencii.1356

Desert BL’s got boring really fast. Bring back Alpine BL’s please.

¬ I A Euphy ¬ SoS ¬

in WvW

Posted by: FOKOZUYNEN.8206

FOKOZUYNEN.8206

is not only that i want the old maps back i want how wvw was before simple with those upgrades and fight for a Waypoint with normal keeps and no zig zag maps……i hoped that ANET at least will bring the gliding in WvW ….guess what no gliding…… going now to wvw is like im asking wuut im doing here is no point to have a fight , no strategy , and no fun…. im entering in Guild Wars just to salute my guild and so but is the first time im started to play other games after i finish PvE stuff….i mean ANET after i done all the achievements and legendaryes are you thinking to do a WvW maps without lasers and stupid zig zags keeping simple like before? seems not. doing my counts i spent around 2000 € on this game because was fun but with new WvW maps i see desert year of 2016.

in WvW

Posted by: Dinas Dragonbane.2978

Dinas Dragonbane.2978

No, do not want them right now. No offense but the WvW crowd apparently hates change and 3 years of Alpine was enough, I love the change and have had great fights in the new borderlands but the only problem with them is the fact that more people would rather avoid them than try and learn them, moving around the new maps is not bad once you’ve learned your way around a little.

Dinas Dragonbane, the Danger Ranger
Tri-Lead of Ascension [WAR] of Borlis Pass