World Linking Feedback [merged]

in WvW

Posted by: Miko.4158

Miko.4158

On balance I like the update (with alpine) server pride and identity is an issue, on small servers all the players know each other I find it quite strange on FSP when 2 FSP’s ask each other what server they are on ( so they can have teamspeak permissions) like wise all the guild only tagging ? something UW has never really got into , simply no need when its the same people and most of the time u are outnumbered. However the good outweighs the bad, most of the people are nice and theres always a tag on somewhere. What Anet could do is allow some UW indetity on players etc or make the moves perm, half and half doe no-one no favours.

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Want to know why?

Here’s the short version in bullet points.

• Being thrown into a new server without your say.
  • Wanting a small WvW community, but now having a Que size ranging to 40 on every map.
  • Being berated by other server members daily as if I chose to move.
  • Server pride = GONE

Here’s in more detail.
If I wanted to move to a larger tier server, I will fork over the money and gems to do so. I chose my server for the reasons that it was small in population, it had a good community, and it was a smaller tier. Smaller community meant friendlier players and no pressure to move up or maintain its tier. But when we moved up by our own means, it built server pride and an investment into the community. Smaller also meant no que time for maps, every map was free and meant every extra person was essential. Being on server that whole guilds dedicated to being toxic to others doesn’t help in the transition and when going into WvW means more infighting and actual fighting, WvW is no longer enjoyable.

You must really proud of you server to not indicate your server name in your signature. I must be really shameful of my server to do that

Anyway, I don’t really care about servers and if deleting all servers result in greater wvw experience, then so be it. For me, is all about gaming and not about servers. Servers community can always be reformed into a alliance community or whatever kind of community. I am not that egoistic to the point of using server pride as a reason to hinder the improvement of WvW.

Right now, at least for my server, the linking is nice but the ambiguous naming is not, I mean people can be sensitive about the names but all I really want to do is to play. I rather have a complete merge. We are not having queue issue anyway.

I don’t know about you but it seems like you are playing WvW to make yourselves feels important.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Dangus.6572

Dangus.6572

I came from same UW. Size of community increased drastically with merge. Anyway people are ok in FSP. Much more fights going on. One thing what worries me most is CC which seems to be out of control. AOE CC/AOE spike dmg/imob. For small roaming groups up to 5 persons it’s nightmare. Roaming became survival not conquer. If you engage same size group or objective – blob arrives, kills you. You are forced to team up with bigger groups to make any kind of input. I believe those things will be solved/tuned after some time. So I keep calm and kill red dots on map until AOEccAOEspikeBlobKillsMe.

[Underworld][ZERK]

in WvW

Posted by: Kylden Ar.3724

Kylden Ar.3724

I’m from Kaineng, like Teon, and I’m seeing a different thing.

My roaming guild no longer wants to roam. While they liked the occasional fight and trying to evade the zergs, they are primarily PvE players. I’m the only one with a WvW rank over 300. But they did like WvW for that balance between PvE and PvP, and the feeling of ‘guerrilla warfare’ that was had by being able to scout out and pick the fights. Now, we try and scout, and pick a target, and get run over by one of 4 zergs in our own borderland.

This week against Blackgate has completely turned them off the mode. They have no desire to ever go back in with the current populations. Add in the hate that BG has for TC (for some stupid political reasons we in TACO know nothing about nor care, all of us work, and have real lives to deal with, we don’t live in WvW like some of these folks), and the essential 2v1 we’ve had all week, it’s not fun.

If they are going to continue with these server links, then T1 and T2 don’t really need to be linked, and the rest of us smaller servers could be, so we can have our style of WvW back, but still see a decent population.

Kylden
Leader of TACO mini-roamer guild, Kaineng.

in WvW

Posted by: Ven Zehn.6573

Ven Zehn.6573

For small scale roaming, they do exist even in T1, I probably spend half my time solo roaming, hitting what I can, avoiding large zergs, but I’ll gladly fight a 1v2 if I run into one (I don’t run bunker’y enough to confidently fight a 1v3), but even then I might try lol, but I’ll reposition so that I have some advantage (terrain-wise).

I feel like a lot of people expect solo roaming to be easy peasy, to always run into other solo roamers and duke it out (once in a while), without worry and without care of a greater force, what kind of WvW would that be? Sounds more boring than map completion……
It’s not hard to maneuver around large zergs, they tend to ignore small game unless you’re standing in their way. (Some zergs might have more squirrels than others)

Server pride and the strength of the community do exist, and do play a large factor in player choices in where they stay.

The guild leaders and lead guilds on a server have a surprisingly large effect on the server morale: BG was 2v1’ed in season 2 hardcore, by 2 equivalent top tier servers, we lost that season, but instead of rolling over and collapsing, we fought, we kept fighting, even knowing we were going to lose. I don’t know if many other servers have that level of community.
People can blame BG for being a bandwagon of fairweathers, but at the core, we have plenty of people (and guilds) who have done impossible/unreasonable things for their server, and others see that, and want to be part of it.

If you want a RL example: more people will want to hang out with the guy joking around and having fun with those around him, than the guy who sits around sulking, insulting others, and blaming everyone but themselves for their current situation.

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

My roaming guild no longer wants to roam. While they liked the occasional fight and trying to evade the zergs, they are primarily PvE players. I’m the only one with a WvW rank over 300. But they did like WvW for that balance between PvE and PvP, and the feeling of ‘guerrilla warfare’ that was had by being able to scout out and pick the fights. Now, we try and scout, and pick a target, and get run over by one of 4 zergs in our own borderland.

This week against Blackgate has completely turned them off the mode. They have no desire to ever go back in with the current populations. Add in the hate that BG has for TC (for some stupid political reasons we in TACO know nothing about nor care, all of us work, and have real lives to deal with, we don’t live in WvW like some of these folks), and the essential 2v1 we’ve had all week, it’s not fun.

If they are going to continue with these server links, then T1 and T2 don’t really need to be linked, and the rest of us smaller servers could be, so we can have our style of WvW back, but still see a decent population.

Yea, some of the roamers have taken a real hit, while others have just upped their numbers some. (not possible with some of the smaller roaming guilds from Kaineng) I still see roamers, but they’re different than what they were on Kaineng. I also think that once the dbls start rotating back in, there will be more roamers, again. Those maps were better suited for roaming squads.

And I agree on the Tier 1 and 2 idea. I posted awhile back that I agreed with another poster who didn’t think tier 1 and tier 2 really needed to be merged with anyone.

Not sure if it is possible for Anet to do it, but I would like to see mergers tried along these lines:

Leave Tier 1 and Tier 2 alone.
Merge Tier 3 with Tier 8
Merge Tier 4 with Tier 7
Merge Tier 5 with Tier 6

And change the pairings every 2 weeks or every month…….not once every 3 months.

WvW has been a bit crazy this week…..lots of hugely outnumbered scenarios. I wish the pairing up would change a bit sooner just to see if it was any different.

Also, Kylden, look at it this way……this is the worst it will ever be. We’re paired up with a tier 1 server going against other tier 1 heavyweights. The numbers won’t get any worse than they have been this week.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Yea, some of the roamers have taken a real hit, while others have just upped their numbers some. (not possible with some of the smaller roaming guilds from Kaineng) I still see roamers, but they’re different than what they were on Kaineng. I also think that once the dbls start rotating back in, there will be more roamers, again. Those maps were better suited for roaming squads.

And I agree on the Tier 1 and 2 idea. I posted awhile back that I agreed with another poster who didn’t think tier 1 and tier 2 really needed to be merged with anyone.

Not sure if it is possible for Anet to do it, but I would like to see mergers tried along these lines:

Leave Tier 1 and Tier 2 alone.
Merge Tier 3 with Tier 8
Merge Tier 4 with Tier 7
Merge Tier 5 with Tier 6

WvW has been a bit crazy this week…..lots of hugely outnumbered scenarios. I wish the pairing up would change a bit sooner just to see if it was any different.

Also, Kylden, look at it this way……this is the worst it will ever be. We’re paired up with a tier 1 server going against other tier 1 heavyweights. The numbers won’t get any worse than they have been this week.

I’m not sure its as simple as pairing tier to tier. From mos it looks like BG is the only one that is crazy outnumbering anyone.

Questions:

• How much is IoJ Sea helping the already powerful JQ Sea? Would IoJ be better paired with another server in T2?
  • How large is BP pop? Is it allowing the usually undermanned FA to compete better in T2?
  • Does YB need AR? YBAR is doing the best in NA Prime it looks like, but not overwhelmingly so.
  • Looking at T3 overall score is close but MagDR and SoSGoM definitely have their strong and weak times.
  • DRFC and NspSF seem to be losing bigger because of some specific timezone(s).

in WvW

Ven Zehn.6573

Hmm, so a few points, and then I’ll get to my point:

Merging of lower tier servers allows for maintaining a higher active population in each map (so that wvw of low tiers is more than just a 5v5 pvp match on a larger map)
Top tier servers don’t really need that influx of players.
Low tier servers don’t seem to want to merge with high tier servers (judging from the most vocal forum warriors), though from what I’ve seen of the people running with us, they seem to like it enough.
Some seem to think merging low tier servers is great, but that high tiers shouldn’t be…..

And there in lies a problem you might have missed: 2 or more low tier servers might match up population-wise with a t1/t2 server, but you will likely lack any sort of coordination, and sort of solidarity to be of any threat to the top tiers.

Imagine a pvp match with randoms, where 3 people go to home at the start to cap….. or everyone leaves a point for kills.

Another point: If merges are removed – those in low tiers who enjoyed running with high tiers, might decide for once and for all to transfer to a server that fits what they want more. This might not be a noticeable change, or it might be very noticeable, in the low tiers. And all the sudden, low tier WvW is even more empty than before.

If on the other hand, low tiers are permanently merged, people will complain about losing their home servers.

in WvW

Teon.5168

And there in lies a problem you might have missed: 2 or more low tier servers might match up population-wise with a t1/t2 server, but you will likely lack any sort of coordination, and sort of solidarity to be of any threat to the top tiers.

And that is where any point you might have been hoping to make with lower tiered servers just went down the toilet.

That unintentional or intentional elitist attitude that automatically thinks that low tiered = low skilled.

/barf

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: TedLast.1389

TedLast.1389

The merger is a short-term success, long-term mess. Some mergers are the perfect match, meaning one server is filling the gaps in the other server. It’s perfect. They are getting along well. They’re a juggernaut now. Couldn’t get on the T1 server? Just move to the T8 server. A reset happens and now they’re paired with the enemy. Now you are paired with a server that is still allied with the enemy server. We had 2 or 3 pin spies before.. now we have 50. We had 1 or 2 idiots destroying omega’s, burning supplies, shouting mis-information in map-chat, giving up mesmers.. now we have 50. This will destroy WvW.

Ted Last [Beer] – Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Ven Zehn.6573

Not saying low-skilled, never did in that post if you read it without bias. I’m saying T1 guilds and their pugs have played together for a long time, vs 2 servers of populations who’ve never played with each other (or rarely have).

Not saying it can’t work either, but if we take pvp teams as an example, who do you think works together better: the 5 man premade with TS or the random grp? (and yes, I’ve been in plenty of 5 man randoms and beat premades, but that’s not the point)

in WvW

Posted by: Balthazzarr.1349

Balthazzarr.1349

@Ven Zehn:
Ven, what you said was: “but you will likely lack any sort of coordination, and sort of solidarity to be of any threat to the top tiers.”

No you didn’t say low-skilled… but you clearly assumed that the lower servers were likely to be uncoordinated and basically a scattered lot of people that didn’t know how to work together. Apparently you never met the folks on Borlis Pass. I believe FA is doing not too bad with our group there.

On another note, it’s kind of sad to see what TedLast put in here about trolls destroying siege etc. Sadly there are idiots like that, who for some reason, obviously aren’t here to play the game and enjoy it.

I love playing with FA and if/when they move BP to another host ( which I think is a ridiculous thing to do to the hosted servers ), then it will show to me at least that they seem to care more about apparent server population adjustments than they do about the people playing. That’s just my opinion if it happens…

One final note about “server pride”. It really is real for some people. I have some friends that had been on Borlis Pass since the beginning and as much as they love the havoc and fights they loved our community just as much. The folks on BP that have always been there stayed there because of the rapport we all have. Most of the rhetoric I see in here slams people that talk about server pride. I have no problem with people that just want to fight and blob and don’t care where they are. But server pride is real for many people, and there are people that have decided to stop playing due to these mergers. Minority yes, but true. They’re not being babies, it’s just how they feel. The babies are the idiot trolls that continue to play and destroy siege and sabotage the servers they are currently playing “for”. Those people should be identified and banned, imo.

… just call me … Tim :)

in WvW

Posted by: Holl.3109

Holl.3109

So may of your arguments are wrong on so many lvl’s.
Please attach screenshots of these ‘40 queue on everything’. I doubt that even happens at reset.

All 80’s – PvP/WvW
My YouTube channel
Reapers gonna reap ¯\(°_°)/¯

in WvW

Posted by: HazyDaisy.4107

HazyDaisy.4107

First off, I’m happy ABL is back, because if we were doing this beta on DBL, I personally probably would’ve revolted by now. Secondly, one can not argue that every matchup thus far has been lopsided, some are just as lopsided as they probably would’ve been under the 24 server system, but in this system some of the pairings, and atleast 1 “guest” are just R-O-N-G and I hope they change that sooner rather than later. Third, if that “guest” changes to host, the other pairings would have to be adjusted too. If all that happens, then maybe those not currently enjoying wvw and the disgruntled homeless people may have a chance to experience an environment more to their liking.

Sorrows Furnace
[HaHa] Hazardous Hallucination

in WvW

Ven Zehn.6573

Sorry if it sounded that way, but when I said uncoordinated, I meant between the 2 or more servers, not within each server.
Even now people complain of not having a TS3 where everyone can join, and considering even before merges, we had plenty of TS3 spies and such, so the risk of allowing more “unknown” people into a server’s TS3 carries risks, that some might not be willing to take.

And that’s just the communication side of it.

Then you throw in the fact that each server has their own commanders, and depending on their egos and willingness to work together, and listen to one another, you can have anything from solid coordination between commanders to 5 different commanders doing their own thing and ignoring everything else.

Granted, many of these issues will probably get smoothed over with time, but who’s to say how long it will take each pairing to get used to each other. And by the time you do, it might be time for another merger.

(edited by Ven Zehn.6573)

in WvW

Posted by: Fatherbliss.4701

Fatherbliss.4701

Its a tough thing to balance. Communities have their own methods of doing business on the borderlands, individual TS3 verification structures plus people transferring in to the paired server due to the other server being full. Lots of movement. Which will complicate this even more once we unlink and have new pairings.

The thing is some of this can be mitigated by the community. It doesn’t seem realistic for Anet to do some sort of situation assessment regarding the feel of a community and try to match them up with another server that has a similar mindset. I’ve seen suggestions of that too. (Would be cool I just can’t imagine how one would begin that process.)

I’m bummed considering the folks on TC and Kaineng are (mostly) having a good time. I’ve still heard complaints from people who like to roam and get run over by a havok group consisting of 20 people. Lol. But overall I’m glad Anet is listening and at least trying something.

Leader of Goats of Thunder [GOAT]
Tarnished Coast: Bringing the Butter to you (no pants allowed)

in WvW

Posted by: kathy.8291

kathy.8291

I absolutely love the server I am merged with. The only disadvantage with the merge like everyone is saying is the amount of ques in each borderland. As I stated in other forums it is the reset time (eastern time) 10:00 pm that is a killer. Working all day and waiting for 10:00 pm to come around is torture let alone waiting hours if you dont get in right away. Hell by the time you get in, its time for bed because some work on Saturday so thats the end of reset. Mostly everyone enjoys reset just to see if we go against a different server.

Anyway like i said I love the server we are merged again and if there is a rotation I hate to see them go.. hahahahaha whats bad about it,, they know your play style if you up against them lol

in WvW

Posted by: Bob.7189

Bob.7189

I don’t like the merger at all. Doubling the population density was introduced to save ANET money not because it is intended to improve play.

My experience: Several times the cue for EB has been over 100. Usually it is over 50. Rarely is there more than 1 battleground without a que. The quality of play is reduced. For instance last night I was in squad where half the squad was chasing kills instead of staying with the commander. Time and time again there will be a que and the one squad has only 20 people in it. Habitually I see dozens of players idle in the entry keep with no engagement at all in the game. The impression I get is that our “partner” is not generally interested in WvW. They are their for the dailies and the 15 minute reward track.

Before the merger we did well. Now we are a distant 3rd in the scoring. We had some very well organized smart commanders, but now we are getting overrun by sheer numbers. No skill to it.

in WvW

Ven Zehn.6573

Wow, there’s still a server with that much of a queue? Even on reset, our most queue’d map doesn’t hit 100.

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

the tiers below t3 were pretty much empty werent they?

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

Empty? Lol. By t1 standards maybe…

in WvW

Posted by: LordEnki.9283

LordEnki.9283

So broken it’s not even funny.

in WvW

Teon.5168

All this talk about about 100 person queues is complete BS. Reset night tonight on T1, and nothing was larger than 50.

Of course, the queue was bugged, as well. But last week on T1 at reset time, it was the same.(without the queue bug) Maybe they’re getting 100 person queues on Euro Gw2, but it is not happening in NA, despite what some might want you to think.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

So may of your arguments are wrong on so many lvl’s.
Please attach screenshots of these ‘40 queue on everything’. I doubt that even happens at reset.

This is from two minutes ago at 1:32am on Reset night. Yes, population balance is not even close to a thing.

editing to add, this was not on JQ. Give you folks one guess which World is this stacked?

Attachments:

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Dtorx.7813

Dtorx.7813

Hi AGamer.3168 good point you made on this tropic ! Respect !

Some just don’t get that wanting to play and be in a queue
and wanting to play and then go play without being in a queue
is not the same !

The server merge was a flop !

pvp players have screamed about queues in pvp for a long time

players don’t buy and join a game to spend time in a queue
but anet don’t seem to have the iq for things like this
and so they did make sure there came queue times in wvw too.

Dtorx.com

in WvW

Posted by: Yuffi.2430

Yuffi.2430

I see both sides of the server linking. At times I like the extra numbers and at times it’s a pain.

On the one hand I had a nasty experience in T8 where I opened a tower and couldn’t solo the necro Lord and there’s either no one else on the map or they were not able to come help. Just imagine standing in the hole running down your friends list trying to find one other player – just one. None of the opposing team turned up either so I could have been literally the one person on the map. This doesn’t occur these days, there’s always someone who will help, or an enemy who turns up to fight.

On the other hand I was scouting and reported a large group of players (about 7 or taking a keep and requested help. The response was “Oh they’re just roamers” – WHAT! I thought roamers were solo or perhaps pairs of players not a whole kitten zerg! (Sorry about the small server bias here – the increased numbers takes a bit of getting used to!).

On the whole I’ve made new friends and kept old ones. I’m having to learn a different way of doing things at times but there are still times when I can roam without being ganked, and I can still cap camps and towers if I get the chance. It’s still WvW it’s just different from before.

My main worry is that my server (IoJ) now has no identity. We gain no score, usually use the JQ TS (for better communications) and our server name doesn’t show anywhere. No one wants to be recruited to join us in case we get moved into a different pairing and JQ can’t recruit either because they’re a “host” server and so are “full” regardless of actual population. We’re both frustrated with this.

If Anet change the pairings then they will no longer be linking IoJ with a different “host” server, they will be removing the proportion of JQ currently known to Anet as JQ+ because that’s what Anet see us as. They’ve gone to great lengths to hide the letters IoJ from everyone – including those of us on the server itself. This is the bit that really annoys me about this “beta”.

in WvW

Posted by: FrizzFreston.5290

FrizzFreston.5290

is not the same !

I don’t think the server merge can be considered a flop if there’s so many good experiences with it as well as some negative sides that annoy other people.

Though I can understand that mixing lowest tier with highest tier would cause a culture clash. So to speak.

“It isn’t working!” CL4P-TP
Ingame Name: Guardian Erik

in WvW

Posted by: AGamer.3168

AGamer.3168

I don’t know why some people say I enjoy PvD, I don’t. I like do like small skirmishes and having a small population means that each battle mattesr. WvW just feels overpopulated to me where it’s all about the fights now rather than the PPT and increasing in ranks. If ANet just increased the server pop cap on higher tier servers and allowed others to transfer to those who wanted, that would fine, but instead, we’re forced into it.

-AGamer The One Man Army

in WvW

Posted by: Teofa Tsavo.9863

Teofa Tsavo.9863

First problem I see is that you think server pride is a real thing. Anet reserves the right to shut down any server they want at any time – you better get used to having more of a guild pride or something like that because the server system as we knew has changed and will continue to change. I’ve transferred servers more times that I can even remember at this point, its been at least 16 times between my 2 accounts, I have no “server pride” because it is hard to be “proud” of a server who lost all of its people and dropped to being one of the lowest ranked servers lol.

Like someone else above said, it sounds like you just enjoyed the PvDoor and now you can’t do that – sorry for your loss.

So you bandwagoned to Blackgate, the largest blob server in game.
I would guess Pride is not an issue to you, and why it is you don’t understand it at all.

Ley lines. The perfect solution to deadlines and writers block. Now in an easy open Can.

in WvW

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

First problem I see is that you think server pride is a real thing. Anet reserves the right to shut down any server they want at any time – you better get used to having more of a guild pride or something like that because the server system as we knew has changed and will continue to change. I’ve transferred servers more times that I can even remember at this point, its been at least 16 times between my 2 accounts, I have no “server pride” because it is hard to be “proud” of a server who lost all of its people and dropped to being one of the lowest ranked servers lol.

Like someone else above said, it sounds like you just enjoyed the PvDoor and now you can’t do that – sorry for your loss.

So you bandwagoned to Blackgate, the largest blob server in game.
I would guess Pride is not an issue to you, and why it is you don’t understand it at all.

Not sure I would call it “bandwagoned”, when I transferred to Blackgate, we were bottom of T1. We transferred there for the fights because roaming was completely dead in every tier except T1. I have guild pride – but servers can go away any time, really no point in “server pride” when that is the case. How prideful do you think the linked servers can be when their name isn’t even displayed anywhere? lol.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

(edited by Josh XT.6053)

in WvW

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

There should be guild pride in first place then server pride, but guild are just chat rooms with grind capabilities -_-#

Still by the other hand, why have guild pride if gw2 is not ment to be played by guild concept, just a gorup of players that can cnage chat room?

SO server pride is much of the same…another gw2 placebo like guilds.

RIP server pride lol….

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

in WvW

Posted by: TheBandit.7031

TheBandit.7031

There’s ups and downs to the merge. I no longer have to deal with being the only person defending objectives and watching my whole BL flip by 5 people while me and like 2 other people are the only ones defending it.

On the flip side, solo roaming is pretty much kill. I’m not going to 1v5 people and 90% of people roam in groups. Solo roaming is basically running away or dying over and over. There’s also no running from the blob wars.

Back when I was one of few who played WvW, everything I did had value. I became a skilled player because I had to learn to fend for myself. I often defended objectives by myself against small groups, had to decide what was worth taking/defending. Anything I did had a huge impact on the score even though I don’t even have a commander tag. This is not the case with the merge, I’m just a random guy in a huge blob now. Not a huge fan of this, but I guess it’s better for more casual play.

in WvW

Posted by: Josh XT.6053

Josh XT.6053

There should be guild pride in first place then server pride, but guild are just chat rooms with grind capabilities -_-#

Still by the other hand, why have guild pride if gw2 is not ment to be played by guild concept, just a gorup of players that can cnage chat room?

RIP server pride lol….

Lets say you’re in a big building with a group of friends, the “guild” is your group of friends, the big building is the server. Why would you care about that big building? It has 500+ people that you may or may not know or like. You know you like your group of friends, but you’d like your group of friends if they decided to go to a different big building, but you’d probably still not know or like anyone else in that other building lol.

Asphyxia [XT] – Fort Aspenwood Roamer
Twitch Stream – AsphyxiaXT
My Builds at Asphyxia.tv/builds

in WvW

Posted by: kandle.2367

kandle.2367

I enjoy the server link. There is much more activity for more hours and our linked servers get along quite well. The main problem I have with this (not counting the loss of server identity for those linked) is that a barrier has been created for the bottom tier. Not even certain what that tier is now-Tier4? The population differences are quite evident . The match-ups are becoming stagnant with no real hope of a change at least for the servers that have not been able to knock out the reigning one due to tz coverage, etc. One of the servers in this match-up has lost 3 guilds this week alone & are probably losing another as a result from what I have read. So, my question: Why link servers with upper tiers which already had adequate population? This Beta might be working for upper tiers (idk-I am not there), but definitely needs a revamp to balance things for the basement tenants. Just an IMHO from what I am witnessing. Others may have a different view, but that’s part of what makes the world go round. (Server names have been omitted to protect the innocent)

in WvW

Posted by: meltdown.5870

meltdown.5870

Imagine WW2…

You are an American fighting Germany

BOOM………suddenly USA is gone………….and so is Germany

in WvW

Posted by: Cecilia.5179

Cecilia.5179

What server are people even getting regular 40 man queues on every map on? The only ones I can even think of pulling constant queues on are TC and BG. Every other server is significantly smaller. JQ, for instance, only pulls queues on reset and sometimes weekend nights.

Necromancer Rights Advocate
Restart WvW: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/wuv/Clean-The-Slate/first#post6208959
#CleanTheSlate

in WvW

Teon.5168

Imagine WW2…

You are an American fighting Germany

BOOM………suddenly USA is gone………….and so is Germany

I just love it when people seriously try to compare real life historical events with a video game, especially one based on fantasy.

Nothing makes me laugh harder.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Teon.5168

What server are people even getting regular 40 man queues on every map on? The only ones I can even think of pulling constant queues on are TC and BG. Every other server is significantly smaller. JQ, for instance, only pulls queues on reset and sometimes weekend nights.

TC isn’t getting those kinds of queues. I know, I play on Kaineng. Most of that queue nonsense is just that. People pulling numbers out of their nether regions.

There are queues on TC on every map on reset night for a few hours, but that is it. After reset, maybe one or two maps might have queues. But certainly nothing close to the “all maps at least 40 queued” garbage being spewed by some here on the forums.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Empty? Lol. By t1 standards maybe…

i was on bp 2 or so years ago and it started to die. when we were up against yb and someone else i would literally run around for 30 minutes and not see a single person. the only time i found people was on na primetime. that was only t5 or 6, and 2 years ago. i didnt play the dbl’s or for about half a year before them but i would guess the lower tiers were dead then too. idk, maybe im wrong, but one thing i know for sure is that this merge is awesome. the q’s suck, but waiting in q (40 q takes like 5-10min) is a hell of a lot better then not running into A SINGLE PERSON for half an hour.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in WvW

Posted by: Jayden Ennok.3687

Jayden Ennok.3687

I was hoping they’d merge servers in regard to keep some activity difference between tiers, ie gold servers super full, silver full, bronze almost full. I don’t like massive q’s and I like the type of community that used to be on low pop servers. I moved from Blackgate to Vabbi/UW for the gameplay not pvd, you get as much pvd in higher tiers if you follow a zerg (and way more wxp from what I noticed since the merge). The two main reasons why folks stayed on low pop servers were
1. no gold for gems, usually these guys would go to servers with most effective pvd
2. folks that liked the community/low q’s – these people now suffer most from the culture shock.

I like that there are more people in wvw now but having 40+ qs or 100+ after reset makes me look at other mode options. I would certainly prefer being merged with other low pop server. If I wanted to farm wxp, I’d be in gold tier long time ago.

Underworld Vabbi 1.5yr

in WvW

Posted by: Gaile Gray

Previous

Gaile Gray

ArenaNet Communications Manager

This is a merged thread of feedback on the subject of world linking. While the subject is the same, not all threads had the same originating viewpoint. However, merging allows efficient review of your thoughts and also highlights dev posts on the subject, so it’s beneficial to the conversation.

Please continue to provide your constructive feedback on world linking here.

Thanks.

Gaile Gray
Communications Manager
Guild & Fansite Relations; In-Game Events
ArenaNet

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

is not the same !

A lot of servers don’t get those huge queues other than reset night, so the obvious solution for those on BG is to move down a tier or two, players have been saying to destack to the T1 servers for years now, which more recently has happened to JQ and TC. There’s a rotation happening now, but it seems like BG is still the odd one holding out up top.

Pvp has it’s problems because it needs to match 9 other players around your rating, cause no one in amber likes going up against diamond players I’m sure. If there ain’t enough players around your rating on you’ll have a queue, nothing can be done about that.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Balthazzarr.1349

At the end of the day a “merge” of sorts is probably a good idea. But doing it this way where the bottom servers are attached to a host server that is playing for its points and “home”, and knowing that us bottom servers are likely going to be tossed to yet another host in the coming weeks is not fun.

Some have suggested merging the bottom servers together into NEWLY named servers so that at least then they have a “home” to defend and yes, some bigger numbers to defend it with. I think that’s one of the best ideas.

Leaving things the way they are right now with us having zero say in where we go (except to yet another low tier server that will likely be moved somewhere else) just makes me, for one, feel like a nomad… I enjoy the blobs once in a while… but I have no real ownership on Fort Aspenwood. We are referred to as “family”, and the people in FA are great to run with and appreciate our help when we give it… but we all know we are transient and most likely will be gone to another server before too long.

My thoughts:

1. Keep the mergers as they are permanently and make us all one, under either the Host name or even a new hybrid name.

or

2. Merge the lower tiers as suggested above.

or

3. Put it back the way it was… (and I’m pretty sure that ANet seriously doesn’t want to, and likely won’t, do that without some sort of majority vote)

in WvW

Posted by: Xenesis.6389

Xenesis.6389

They can keep the linking system, and just rename all the servers to something like the gods or dragons, so everything feels more unified.

I’m sure they will try to avoid a hardcore merge for as long as possible, merging servers would mean merging the pve population, which may have it’s own set of problems.

Another derailing post. ^^
North Keep: One of the village residents will now flee if their home is destroyed.
“Game over man, Game Over!” – RIP Bill

in WvW

Posted by: sionnach.5391

sionnach.5391

Thanks for merging the thread and keeping the topic visible, Gaile!

Reporting from Kaineng:

We’re pulling about 30 Kain-ites together weekend nights and hanging in there as a group as best we can; shout out to TC folks (like Bliss above) for being good hosts!

On to issues:

1. Identity:

Still tough to bear: I notice a dwindling concern with score or defense and a lot of that is because we don’t have a home to defend.

2. Recruiting/locating new players:

Extremely difficult. This is something folks might not realize that we do on the lower tiers almost constantly; a lengthy beta puts strain on that important community-building.

Thanks for listening!

Nanesh
Owl Legion of Kaineng

Guild Leader – Owl Legion of Kaineng

in WvW

Posted by: Aury.1367

Aury.1367

Ye, I’m als unsatisfied with the recent server merges. You are on a high populated server? Well, now feel free to get
- zerged down by 4 servers at once on every kitten map even more than before
- ganked way more often than before since you cant see which guild (pug guilds, not the known ones) is on which server, so no loss of reputation
- constant lagspikes even with a highend PC
You are on a low populated server because you had a friend there, the server name was nice, or you transfered because of constant zerging and lagging to a more roaming server?
Well, now feel free to get
- zerged down by 4 servers at once on every kitten map
The server rankings werent much representive for skill, it was mass only. So people who transfered to their prefered server/mass of players they can handle, now suffer like hell.
Servers werent like families, but like friends which you could choose.
But back to the numbers: The actual differences between low pop servers and high pops arent THAT big, so now let a very high pop server fight 2 high pop servers + 2 low pop servers is just unequal like, gosh, I cant find words.
I thought the merge would be so EVERY server gets a partner, not that the very high pop servers get left out like “well you got a player base already, lets see how you handle to fight 4 other servers with 2 teams”. But like this, well unbalanced. I still dont know how the populations are made, like overall pop? Or pure core WvW-player pop? THATS A HUGE DIFFERENCE.
Yes, you can see it makes me mad. Like every day since merge. I tried different servers, looked for one where duelling is mostly accepted, the commanders prefer fights over PPT but still have the mass to do huge zergVSzergs. Found it, but now. Meh.

in WvW

Posted by: Ogre.3124

Ogre.3124

Combine Maguuma and Jade Quarry.

Maguuma has a high population in EU/NA timezone while JQ has a high population of OCX/SEA. This merger would make Tier 1 balanced. At the moment Tarnished Coast and Blackgate have no real competition regarding population. A reason for this merger is a lot of JQ players are jumping ship and are being auctioned for by servers. Merging with Maguuma they can stay on JQ and be proud T1 server again without being treated as a item at a store for server leaders. We promise not be racist or dehumanize the JQers.

Both current guest servers can be merged separately on their own. Both servers are used to being lowly populated and maybe Darkhaven won’t be dead last for a week. Wins all around

Also please release me. The safeword is Hamlet.. I think

Attachments:

Maguuma

(edited by Ogre.3124)

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

RIP server pride lol….

Lets say you’re in a big building with a group of friends, the “guild” is your group of friends, the big building is the server. Why would you care about that big building? It has 500+ people that you may or may not know or like. You know you like your group of friends, but you’d like your group of friends if they decided to go to a different big building, but you’d probably still not know or like anyone else in that other building lol.

You walk into the front door every morning and see the same person smiling back at you and welcoming you. Eventually you develop a casual relationship with the person at the front desk even though they are not your immediate co-worker. Later your department is moved to another building and the front desk person there isn’t as personable. You move on in your career, but you still stop by the old building sometimes during lunch to say, “Hi, how ya’ doin’?”

This pride thing is not black and white. Relationships are multi-layered. Guilds come and go from servers. Guilds also disband and players move around. Not unlike a lot of other relationships. This whole argument about pride is a bit pointless imho since both sides of it are true.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Teon.5168

Regarding server pride….
I liked what DaoC did when I played it and they started merging servers as pop numbers decreased. The servers had generic numerical names…..so was hard to have any sort of server pride when your server was just a numbered one of many. They had geared the game in such a way where you had pride in your race(Albion, Hibernia, or Midgard), rather than a certain server. And this too, was fluid and changing, as well, as many players changed races during the game, or had multiple toons in different cultural lands.

Naming the GW2 servers actual unique names might have been a mistake, as that encourages the perception of unique servers/communities, and therefore, some sort of perceived pride in that server.

I am not saying that is a good or bad thing…..just that it makes it harder for the playerbase to let go of those perceptions when inevitable mergers happen as the game gets older and player numbers fluctuate.

Maybe a better solution with these mergers, is to make them more permanent, and then rename the merged server, so as both servers have to reset metally, and have a new server that they can once again develop pride in.

As I have posted previously, server pride is not a big deal to me, as guild pride is my priority, no matter what server they might be on. But for some, obviously, server pride does mean something.

Maybe what I suggested above might be a better solution. I really don’t know……just an idea.

In the end, like it or not, as this game gets older and player numbers decrease, which is inevitable as an mmorpg grows long in the tooth……servers will continue to merge. If a player wants to continue to play and enjoy the game, then they need to find a way to get beyond the sticking point of server pride, as mergers will continue to become more the norm rather than the exception. That is just the way it is with older mmorpgs.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

I play for Server 1009.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast