World Population Changes Are Coming

in WvW

Posted by: Chuck Zitto.2367

Chuck Zitto.2367

So why does everybody feel anet included that its just not ok to make tier 8 low pop like they actually are and let some people transfer there for free. How could that do anything but help these dead servers in tier 8. Nobody is ever gonna pay money/gems to trasnfer to the lowest servers.

(edited by Chuck Zitto.2367)

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

So why does everybody feel anet included that its just not ok to make tier 8 low pop like they actually are and let some people transfer there for free. How could that do anything but help these dead servers in tier 8. Nobody is ever gonna pay money/gems to trasnfer to the lowest servers.

You are right which is why T8-9 peeps should move to the highest ranked available server instead. Just let low tier die already. Anet wont merge servers and no one want to go there even if its free. Players can fix this themselves. The only proper way for an exodus is up, not down.

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Servers aren’t just people who happen to play together, they are indeed communities.
I wrote this before and now again:
I have been on an high bronze NA server when spring tournament 2014 took place. Back then only the best servers were able to get enough tournament claim tickets to affort mist forged weapons – so of course everybody wanted to have a chance at that. So we had about 100? who came from higher ranked servers (most annoying karma train smartypants) but knew their server wouldn’t make it into the top 3 of their tier, we’ve had PvE players who had no clue what to do and just before the tournament started there were free transfers to lower ranked bronze servers. All people went to the highest ranked that was free. This server then had a 24/7 coverage and steamrolled their way to place 1. All of what we had worked for was worth nothing. My server was dead afterwards – all of us left either the server or the game. And yeah, we miss each other.
Free transfers might cause a massive imbalance, so it’s better to wait until things even out.

in WvW

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

You are right which is why T8-9 peeps should move to the highest ranked available server instead. Just let low tier die already. Anet wont merge servers and no one want to go there even if its free. Players can fix this themselves. The only proper way for an exodus is up, not down.

But how would that remove the problem for WvW in general, that less people seem to play it?
Lets say a new player that does not look into a GW2 forum before, joins a T9 server because he likes the name and it is labeled as medium, which does not sound so bad, suggesting that it is not an empty wasteland, but just not filled with all kinds of people. I personally like that idea and would probably rather join a medium server called Fissure of Woe instead of a rather common sounding server named after a sea or a glade like Drakkar Lake or Aurora Glade if I did not know what medium really means.
Should he pay 1000+ gems for a mistake he did not even make because he did not know better? Does not sound like the best of advertising arguments to stay with GW2 for me.
The only help can come from GW2 itself, not a player exodus. Either change the system how people are grouped or bundle servers that are medium, so basically you would get rid of the bronze tier.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

But how would that remove the problem for WvW in general, that less people seem to play it?
Lets say a new player that does not look into a GW2 forum before, joins a T9 server because he likes the name and it is labeled as medium, which does not sound so bad, suggesting that it is not an empty wasteland, but just not filled with all kinds of people. I personally like that idea and would probably rather join a medium server called Fissure of Woe instead of a rather common sounding server named after a sea or a glade like Drakkar Lake or Aurora Glade if I did not know what medium really means.
Should he pay 1000+ gems for a mistake he did not even make because he did not know better? Does not sound like the best of advertising arguments to stay with GW2 for me.
The only help can come from GW2 itself, not a player exodus. Either change the system how people are grouped or bundle servers that are medium, so basically you would get rid of the bronze tier.

Yep, I suppose thats the kittenty situation low tiers are in. And no doubt Anet want your new player to pay 1000+ gems, yes. What else did you plan to do? Force people to play on a low pop server? Bravely hold up the illusion of a functional WvW just for new players? Anet can help by doing something, true. But so can players, right now. Move on up. Populate all the servers we can to full and leave the rest in the dust.

in WvW

Posted by: Torolan.5816

Torolan.5816

You indeed can´t force people to play there. Maybe incentives would work, but I am not sure about that. Once a server is branded as loser/hacker/moron community, it´s basically branded until it can somehow redeem itself (like probably Blacktide a the moment). Holding up the illusion is not an option if Anet does not activelly hire people to play in the bronze tier.

The solution to abandon the lower servers is just bad for wvw in general, not just the new users. I see your point in this of course, a kind of “let´s all swim in the deeper waters until the storm blows off” approach, but if there are less and less fish to swim with even when the pond gets better, isn´t that also bad for the remaining fishes?

in WvW

Posted by: Tongku.5326

Tongku.5326

This already happens and has been happening for a while now. Double that if that new player is not on that particular servers prime time. There may or may not even be 1 person in map chat for them to ask. Once in a while a smarter player or someone who has played within the genre already will make a post here and ask about transfers, specifically for these reasons.

I think the bottom 2-3 tiers should be just shut down completely (bottom 2 NA, bottom 3 EU), and everyone on them given 1 way free transfers to wherever they wish except full servers.

The guilds / communities on them would be able to choose where they wish to go. make it like 3 weeks of choice, then shut down servers and players get to choose their server when they try to enter WvW after that.

I honestly do not think anything else can be done, in order to balance out the servers as they are now, A-Net would have to come out with extremely strong Positive Incentives for anyone on Full Status server to destack and transfer to lower tier and in addition to spread out, not just pick another server/tier that will rise through the ranks and create the same cycle and then have to do transfers yet again. And that, within the current system is just too difficult, therefore its just easier to shut down the lowest tiers.

Yes, there will be a very small percentage of those who will be against this no matter what is done, and they may leave the game as well, but its better for the game as a whole and those people are very few. Rest are as tired of the bottom tier issues as I was before I transfered.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: Mokk.2397

Mokk.2397

Does this mean I can get back to Tarnished Coast?

in WvW

Posted by: Hvaran.6327

Hvaran.6327

basically now the server status can be refreshed with same frequency as before (FSP jumped during 2 days from full to very high and back to full) but now it counts from WVW population.

So if some guild doesn’t raid or 2 guilds doesn’t raid during 1-2 days the population together with status can open up, get in some scrubcakes who can’t relie on new unstable system then it getting closed with MORE people in.

Legit.

Make frequency of server population change at least once per week and based on weekly activity, otherwise it makes it not much better tbh

Handarand – Handacooon – Handa Panda – Handa Genie

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

So if some guild doesn’t raid or 2 guilds doesn’t raid during 1-2 days the population together with status can open up, get in some scrubcakes who can’t relie on new unstable system then it getting closed with MORE people in.

Naw some servers were, as the dev stated, WAY above the “full” threshold when they initiated these new rules. So they’ll likely never be Very High for months yet.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

Naw some servers were, as the dev stated, WAY above the “full” threshold when they initiated these new rules. So they’ll likely never be Very High for months yet.

The dev’s have decided on some arbitrarily small WvW population target. So small that we’d all burn out and leave the game after having to play immense amounts of OT just to fill a map or two. Stacking a server was the solution to coverage and population issues. Because everyone’s equal when we all hit the map queue.

There’s simply not enough players to fill the amount of server’s. I can’t stress enough that there should be a low, medium, and high, when it comes to WvW populations and map population limits. Players have differing taste in WvW. A “one size fit’s all” game mode will never be more than mediocre at best.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

No, it just gives you an indication of how very ill equipped other servers were prior to the change, than your own. Perspective.

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Malediktus.9250

Malediktus.9250

Just merge the empty servers instead of ruining high (full servers are still very low compared to 2 years ago) population WvW servers.

1st person worldwide to reach 35,000 achievement points.

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

This thread has convinced me that there should be no full servers. I believe it hurts the players on those servers and ultimately the game.

What there should be is a category of Super High. And the cost to transfer there should be exorbitant. Something so ridiculous that virtually no one would transfer there. No one except people with friends. Or the most dedicated.

That way people who really want to transfer there can but the vast majority of people won’t so there won’t be stacking. Its a win-win.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

This thread has convinced me that there should be no full servers. I believe it hurts the players on those servers and ultimately the game.

One of the biggest driving reasons behind guild movement off non-T1 servers has been the Full status. That hasn’t suddenly changed with this new calculation. It is what lead guilds in the past to leave DB, SoR, DH, and SoS.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: AmberUK.5380

AmberUK.5380

I wonder how much the dailies effect server pop? Its much quicker to get some land or kill dollies or take camps than do the <> events in pve to get your dailies.

We Asura are just the best
UW WvW player – TooT !

in WvW

Posted by: reddie.5861

reddie.5861

you guys all wannabe on T1 server and bandwagon, yes if your from NA i can understand cus NA looks pretty kitten dead on streams people can cap keeps without any1 deffending on border lands.

but EU? dont bother guys its a lag festival, most T1 servers dont even wanna Fight its all PPT that matters fights? kitten fights need them points which is bit crap then again thats what WvW is but sadly its not what i like :p

T3 and below is pretty decent if your on EU servers

in WvW

Posted by: Xillllix.3485

Xillllix.3485

Why is the guesting system still functional over a year after we have megaservers?

For a minute I thought you guys had a WvW guesting system like in ESO. But sadly nope, it didn’t do anything.

Also why are completely empty servers labelled as “medium” population? You don’t want to let new users that these servers are empty?

in WvW

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Why is the guesting system still functional over a year after we have megaservers?

For a minute I thought you guys had a WvW guesting system like in ESO. But sadly nope, it didn’t do anything.

Also why are completely empty servers labelled as “medium” population? You don’t want to let new users that these servers are empty?

Its pretty clearly because they don’t want free transfers.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

in WvW

morrolan.9608

Population levels aren’t used to determine matchups – ratings are. Some randomization on the ratings is happening to introduce some variance in the matchups, but if there is a rather large gap in the ratings, that randomization might not be enough to create diverse matchups.

The goal of this change is to make the population spread out better, which will in turn make the ratings get closer, which will result in both more interesting matchups, and more variability as well. This will take some time to happen.

Taking FA as an example given it seems to be the only NA server on the cusp of very high and full can you justify why it should be full given it has quite low non NA and even its NA seems to be not much better than SOS.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Taking FA as an example given it seems to be the only NA server on the cusp of very high and full can you justify why it should be full given it has quite low non NA and even its NA seems to be not much better than SOS.

Maybe because ANet is predicting that populations (and queues that come with it) will rise significantly once the summer is a over, and worse when HoT is released?

in WvW

Posted by: Wallofbones.2850

Wallofbones.2850

I recently transferred my wife back to the server where we were from and paid 1k gems, now you guys lowered it to 500, sobs. About the new changes, I hope you guys realize that you guys killed alot of lower tier server populations. Hope some changes are reconsidered.

in WvW

Posted by: Puck.9612

Puck.9612

I recently transferred my wife back to the server where we were from and paid 1k gems, now you guys lowered it to 500, sobs. About the new changes, I hope you guys realize that you guys killed alot of lower tier server populations. Hope some changes are reconsidered.

How does locking the higher tiers kill the lower tier population? If anyone new joins or anyone wants to move they have to go to an open server instead of waiting until 2 am to hop on a full server.

Jim Hunter when my other account isn’t suspended

in WvW

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

actually, it’s livening up a lot of the lower tiers

in WvW

Chaba.5410

IMHO it was the T1 overstacking of YB in T2 that is “livening up” the lower tiers. T1 isn’t having a mass exodus of players and guilds leave due to Full status.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs

in WvW

Posted by: PariahX.6970

PariahX.6970

IMHO it was the T1 overstacking of YB in T2 that is “livening up” the lower tiers. T1 isn’t having a mass exodus of players and guilds leave due to Full status.

Yet . . . for now we seem to be trying the boycott method in case that can manipulate the full status cap any which is unlikely as all 3 are beyond full given the extreme PvE & casual WvW pops there are on those superstacked worlds. You got to figure the general number of inactive accounts assigned to a world count for some of small percentage when it comes to calculating that WvW base potential.

I expect it will take annoying queues at HoT launch to get a lot of Tier 1 to wake up and smell the fullness but there are some who hope to find a new home well before then. Things are just a bit messy out there right now.

~Xylla~ [oG] on Ehmry Bay [PiXi]
Xyleia Luxuria / Sweet Little Agony / Morning Glory Wine / Precious Illusionz /
Near Fanstastica /Ocean at the End / Blue Eyed Hexe / Andro Queen / Indie Cindee . . .

in WvW

Chaba.5410

I expect it will take annoying queues at HoT launch to get a lot of Tier 1 to wake up and smell the fullness

Probably! Just saying that the overstacking of YB provided a much bigger incentive for all the T2 guilds leaving than the population change.

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

Tongku.5326

I expect it will take annoying queues at HoT launch to get a lot of Tier 1 to wake up and smell the fullness

Probably! Just saying that the overstacking of YB provided a much bigger incentive for all the T2 guilds leaving than the population change.

The thing is, T2 was actually healthy and relatively balanced, now its crap. And the imbalance is located on T1 + YB. It is those 2 that need to destack much more. yes I know some at sometimes no longer have ques, yet they are still extreme in comparison to other servers.

you shouldnt have to have ques on all maps at all timezones in order to be a healthy server, in fact, you need room to float.

which brings me to another thing, make anotehr cap, this one not a map cap, but a “total players in wvw” cap that would be lower then the sum of all 4 map caps. so people can float as it is needed, at least a 20 or 25 man group.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

which brings me to another thing, make anotehr cap, this one not a map cap, but a “total players in wvw” cap that would be lower then the sum of all 4 map caps. so people can float as it is needed, at least a 20 or 25 man group.

No, absolutely not. That’s not the LARGE SCALE combat I and many others enjoy. That’s why I say AGAIN, there needs to be Tiers with differing populations. This thought of, every server has to be minimized and equaled, has to die and die fast. A 20 or 25 man float group is nothing but boring.

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

in WvW

Posted by: Dravin.1390

Dravin.1390

I’m amazed after all the crap that’s gone on over the years we still think a server transfer service is healthy for the game…

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

No, absolutely not. That’s not the LARGE SCALE combat I and many others enjoy. That’s why I say AGAIN, there needs to be Tiers with differing populations. This thought of, every server has to be minimized and equaled, has to die and die fast. A 20 or 25 man float group is nothing but boring.

Couldn’t agree more. That was once of the worst ideas as I see it. Forcing everyone to have the population of the lower population servers is an abysmal concept that would, in my opinion, harm the game mode more then almost anything could. I have more guildies on then that at any given time on a daily basis. Making it so one map can only hold half of my guildies that are on strikes me as very unreasonable.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

in WvW

Posted by: Alteros.3019

Alteros.3019

Couldn’t agree more. That was once of the worst ideas as I see it. Forcing everyone to have the population of the lower population servers is an abysmal concept that would, in my opinion, harm the game mode more then almost anything could. I have more guildies on then that at any given time on a daily basis. Making it so one map can only hold half of my guildies that are on strikes me as very unreasonable.

I honestly don’t know how much worse WvW can get.

But Large scale combat is OK as long as its unbalanced…I guess. Tiers with differing populations is nothing but a joke, a bad one at that, if players can keep discarding servers like socks for the next “up and coming” server. The balance is going to have to come from Anet at this point as players apparently can’t help regulate themselves. At this point, I’ll accept any form of balance that is not some rehashed version of “we’re going to report the server populations differently and charge more/less to move up/down”.

in WvW

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

Pick a date, use Glicko one last time to set the seeding order, then ash can it to the recesses of our memory. After that, 1 up 1 down to reset the next weeks matches.

Over time, the matches should come to some sort of an equilibrium where decent matches that are not stagnant can occur… If a server gains people, they will rise. If a server loses people, they will fall. Either way, they will get to matches where they can compete and have fun.

Still doesn’t address coverage etc, but it is a start……

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

in WvW

Posted by: Nate.3927

Nate.3927

Pick a date, use Glicko one last time to set the seeding order, then ash can it to the recesses of our memory. After that, 1 up 1 down to reset the next weeks matches.

Over time, the matches should come to some sort of an equilibrium where decent matches that are not stagnant can occur… If a server gains people, they will rise. If a server loses people, they will fall. Either way, they will get to matches where they can compete and have fun.

Still doesn’t address coverage etc, but it is a start……

Personally I am a fan of this as well. Winner goes up, loser goes down means that:

1. Bandwagon servers will rise up much quicker, causing less damage to the servers they pass along the way.

2. Servers that experienced an exodus will fall much quicker, causing less damage to them as well as they quickly drop to a tier that they can be competitive in.

in WvW

Liston.9708

Exactly with the bonus that you don’t face the same 2 servers forever… Worst case is t1 ‘loser’ constantly swaps with t2 ‘winner’ and t7 loser constantly swaps with t8 winner (NA). In that scenario, servers 1,2,23, and 24 only have 2 combinations that swap every other week.

in WvW

Chaba.5410

At this point, all “Full” servers are going to be balanced.

Oh, really?

Chaba Tangnu

in WvW

Posted by: Lach.7031

Lach.7031

Hey ANET,

You guys are right, the wvw population (change) did come. Look at wvw, it’s in decline.

Thanks,

a gamer

p.s. more action less talk talk TALK

in WvW

Liston.9708

Oh, really?

Or when they all are empty

in WvW

Posted by: Mikah.4510

Mikah.4510

I mean… really. Just… why even.

Attachments:

in WvW

morrolan.9608

Oh, really?

Yeah until the pop across tzs is even it will never be balanced.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

Posted by: cillard.3986

cillard.3986

The dev who posted this topic about all of our ‘wonderful’ changes has not made a post in 4 weeks.

Dead topic cause ANET doesn’t care.

in WvW

Posted by: SkyShroud.2865

SkyShroud.2865

Oh, really?

given enough time, it will be “balanced”
mainly because these servers will be locked and thus no new players will enter, the old players will slowly quit one by one to point that the server will unlock itself when the population dropped. personally, i think it will take a year to fix itself.

Founder & Leader of Equinox Solstice [TIME], a Singapore-Based International Guild
Henge of Denravi Server
www.gw2time.com

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Glicko sucks. 1 up 1 down would suck worse.

What needs to happen is a more complex matchmaking method needs to be used. For some reason Anet loves making complex maps when no one really wants them but sticks with basic simple matchmaking that doesn’t work.

Anyway, the complex matchmaking system needs to take into account factors other than Glicko. Factors such as large population shifts so a server can adjust rapidly to a new rank.

But first YB needs to de-stack. Having 4 T1 servers would cause problems with any matchmaking system.

in WvW

Posted by: Retsuko.2035

Retsuko.2035

Get rid of tiers all together. Make matchups each week completely random so eventually the current tier 1 servers will de-stack out of boredom into lower populated servers. Make transfering free for a month, guaranteed that many guilds/players will make use of it.

If only NA + EU servers weren’t seperate like now, it would also solve the entire coverage problem making coverage actually much easier around all servers and thus more balanced. You’ll always have balance problems, but I don’t quite understand how anet could have even thought about seperating NA and EU servers in the beginning when you know that WvW gamemode needs 24/7 attention. They possibly can’t go back with this and make NA + EU join and compete eachother anymore?

It would also solve the issue of having NA and EU players being able to play together and not having to be on a specific NA or EU server for it.

Retsu ~ Inner Monkey [IM] ~ Piken Square

in WvW

Posted by: Jana.6831

Jana.6831

Get rid of tiers all together. Make matchups each week completely random so eventually the current tier 1 servers will de-stack out of boredom into lower populated servers. Make transfering free for a month, guaranteed that many guilds/players will make use of it.

If only NA + EU servers weren’t seperate like now, it would also solve the entire coverage problem making coverage actually much easier around all servers and thus more balanced. You’ll always have balance problems, but I don’t quite understand how anet could have even thought about seperating NA and EU servers in the beginning when you know that WvW gamemode needs 24/7 attention. They possibly can’t go back with this and make NA + EU join and compete eachother anymore?

It would also solve the issue of having NA and EU players being able to play together and not having to be on a specific NA or EU server for it.

I want to keep my ping, thank you =)

(Started on NA and went EU – and I like it better here)

in WvW

morrolan.9608

Oh, really?

given enough time, it will be “balanced”
mainly because these servers will be locked and thus no new players will enter, the old players will slowly quit one by one to point that the server will unlock itself when the population dropped. personally, i think it will take a year to fix itself.

And players will have been lost to the game.

Jade Quarry [SoX]

in WvW

Tongku.5326

Eliminating the lowest tier servers is very simple. They can be locked, just like the highest pop servers.

1. Enable free 1 way transfers for 2-3 weeks, or a month, while locking the servers, thus preventing new players or trolls from joining them.

2. Shut down the servers.

3. Direct any returning players to the server selection screen and let them choose a new server.

4. Enable free transfers for any such returning player for 1 week, jsut in case he/she wants to get back to their old guild / community that transferred but did not know where they went to.

Issue of server elimination solved.

With added players I would expect more people to join or re-join WvW as it will become more vibrant and a better gaming experience for everyone.

Heavy Deedz – COSA – SF

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

Eliminating the lowest tier servers is very simple. They can be locked, just like the highest pop servers.

1. Enable free 1 way transfers for 2-3 weeks, or a month, while locking the servers, thus preventing new players or trolls from joining them.

2. Shut down the servers.

3. Direct any returning players to the server selection screen and let them choose a new server.

4. Enable free transfers for any such returning player for 1 week, jsut in case he/she wants to get back to their old guild / community that transferred but did not know where they went to.

Issue of server elimination solved.

With added players I would expect more people to join or re-join WvW as it will become more vibrant and a better gaming experience for everyone.

I like that idea, I think it would be a good way to reduce the number of excess servers helping resolve the issue of coverage wars on the remaining servers.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Fatherbliss.4701

Fatherbliss.4701

A few guild members noted that FA and SOS were listed as “Very Full” this morning. Which points once more to participation/population being part of the equation to determine transfer status. I’m suspecting that will once again cause stacking issues. Reducing overall server count makes sense but there are a ton of reasons why a game doesn’t want to do that (including feeding a mindset that a game is “dying”).

Leader of Goats of Thunder [GOAT]
Tarnished Coast: Bringing the Butter to you (no pants allowed)

in WvW

Posted by: CrimsonNeonite.1048

CrimsonNeonite.1048

I guess it has nothing to do with PPT/Coverage, since Desolation was “Very Full” last night, even FSP seems more active otherwise, just not when it comes to PPT.

Scrubio
Plays completely opposite professions to his main Teef.