WvW Lag March 2015

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Lunacy Solacio.6514

Lunacy Solacio.6514

I like how the “How to Address Lag” post is basically a non-answer dodging questions about the lag. It has nothing to do with my connection or thousands of others with more than sufficient connectivity.

Just because your connection is supposed to be ‘more than sufficient’ does not mean that your connection isn’t at fault! It doesn’t matter if you have a direct connection to an internet backbone or are 1 mile from the servers. Even if you can 100% rule out every possible situation involving your computer, your home network whether it is wifi or not (hardware does fail you know, including modems, etc), the cable to your home could be at fault, or your isp, or the isp they connect through, or etc., etc.,

It is NEVER clear cut, ‘I have 500 megabit cable therefore I can NEVER have any sort of lag.’ I’m sorry but you share that connection at some point with everyone else in your area. That area could be just a corner of your city, or nearly half your state as mine is. Nevermind if you use wifi, and the things that can interfere there.

Does anet sometimes have issues? Yes, and this is to address those issues. But the suggestions on causes of lag have a very good point, because sometimes, it isn’t Anet’s fault.

(edited by Lunacy Solacio.6514)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

I like how the “How to Address Lag” post is basically a non-answer dodging questions about the lag. It has nothing to do with my connection or thousands of others with more than sufficient connectivity.

Just because your connection is supposed to be ‘more than sufficient’ does not mean that your connection isn’t at fault! It doesn’t matter if you have a direct connection to an internet backbone or are 1 mile from the servers. Even if you can 100% rule out every possible situation involving your computer, your home network whether it is wifi or not (hardware does fail you know, including modems, etc), the cable to your home could be at fault, or your isp, or the isp they connect through, or etc., etc.,

It is NEVER clear cut, ‘I have 500 megabit cable therefore I can NEVER have any sort of lag.’ I’m sorry but you share that connection at some point with everyone else in your area. That area could be just a corner of your city, or nearly half your state as mine is. Nevermind if you use wifi, and the things that can interfere there.

Does anet sometimes have issues? Yes, and this is to address those issues. But the suggestions on causes of lag have a very good point, because sometimes, it isn’t Anet’s fault.

Indeed. Last summer, I was having a great deal of disconnect when no one else I asked was having the problem. I was also having lag when no one else in my guild or team speak did.

After 3 visits from my ISP, out here running test, they actually determined that I had a corroded connector on my eves. They replaced the part, and Viola, it solved my problem.

On another occasion before that, I was having issues with lag suddenly, when others were not, and I had none previously. After a few email exchanges with Anet CS and some information sent back and forth, we realized a router/modem reset, for whatever reason, changes the ports I was using. We lined that out.

With both those issues resolved, I have had a pristine experience since. Even with the current server problems, I appear to be hit by it to a much lesser extent then others I play with.

It is truly amazing how some players are so resistant to accepting that they can do so much to reduce problems on their end to improve their experience.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

(edited by coglin.1867)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: DeceiverX.8361

DeceiverX.8361

Massive issues currently on Dragonbrand. Anywhere near more than around five people I start experiencing around a 2-7 second delay on skills, dodges, and weapon swaps, with a lot of allied and enemy rubber-banding/teleporting. I’m getting the animations for being in stealth and getting attacked by target-only abilities because in reality I’m already without the buff server-side when my client is just beginning to display it.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Gaab.4257

Gaab.4257

Aurora glade server – huge lags on Miller’s Sound BL now.
Ping jumps between 50 and 3500.

(edited by Gaab.4257)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Flamey.1430

Flamey.1430

Server: FSP Border: Eternal Battlegrounds
Massive skill lag, lots of disconnects, large SM fight, 3 way.
Virtually unplayable.

(even had lag far away from fight too)

Missus Balls – Guardian
[SLAY]

(edited by Flamey.1430)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Timelord.8190

Timelord.8190

Just lost T3 SM cause of skill lag. Was a 3 way battle.
Was so heavy skill lag.
Lower the limit further please.

Video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNRFnXX0Ba0

Far ShiverPeaks (EU)

(edited by Timelord.8190)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: LINKAZZATORE.8135

LINKAZZATORE.8135

right know huge skill lag in elona garri 3way fight

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: apharma.3741

apharma.3741

Yesterday and today between 7pm and about 10pm GMT I’ve been experiencing more rubber banding, disconnects and skill lag both on EU T8 EB and most borderlands. Funny thing is I’ve been experiencing it in PvE too, certain dungeons like caudicus manor and fractals.

It’s only this last 2 days it’s really happened like that. I also don’t think numbers are much to do with it as on T8 a ktrain blob is usually 20-30 people at most 50 but this has been happening when there’s relatively small numbers from what I can tell.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Argos Helios.4965

Argos Helios.4965

Still getting skill activation lag while roaming in T2 EB BL tonight. Never had this before the stability patch now it has become the new norm.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: BlackDeath.4398

BlackDeath.4398

To every one begging to lower the cap even more, please stahp! you are clearly not in a T1 server where every1 likes to play WvW… queues are killing me.. i hope the cap has been highered for reset, if not i am afraid of disconnecting during and being stuck in a 80 man queue or something. I am planning to command tonight, this would be a disaster.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Lash.2743

Lash.2743

Horrible lag last night approx. midnight EST and right now on all GOM BLs.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: blim.6320

blim.6320

I wonder who lost their job over this or is this just one big game to them.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Woelfchen.1563

Woelfchen.1563

Server: Abaddon’s Mouth

Our zerg on green border (Riverside homeborder): Heavy lags and dcs

Please look at this, if possible.

Update: Nearly unplayable now!

(edited by Woelfchen.1563)

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Colly.4073

Colly.4073

WvW is so broken.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Lash.2743

Lash.2743

WvW totally unplayable now. Worse lag yet! Been like this most of this day and getting progressively worse. Fix the game please. NA EST GOM

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Ins.7139

Ins.7139

No lag Deso BL during reset, had alot of fun 60vs60 fights. Just a +1 something is working post

[PT] Ins For Da Waaagh
www.twitch.tv/ins_for_da_wagh
PuG Commander, blobbing it up since 2012!

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: coglin.1867

coglin.1867

No lag Deso BL during reset, had alot of fun 60vs60 fights. Just a +1 something is working post

We had no lad on BGBL last night or today at all either. I heard several of the varies channels on our TS, last night in particular, speaking ecstatically about how lag less it was.

It is unfortunate to see some other still suggesting that they are having problems. Odd at times how it is worse for one map or server then it is on another.

A video on what weak PvPer’s and WvWer’s want.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6q3em9s5I4c

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Iona.2897

Iona.2897

Piken Square.
Lags were terrible for me this evening (red borderland). Skill lags, freezing and people teleporting or disappearing all around me. Most of the time, I could not even see my team mates on the screen.
It was quite bad after patch but not to that level. I literally can’t play and won’t be buying HoT if this is not fixed.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Baldrick.8967

Baldrick.8967

We had no lad on BGBL last night or today at all either. I heard several of the varies channels on our TS, last night in particular, speaking ecstatically about how lag less it was.

It is unfortunate to see some other still suggesting that they are having problems. Odd at times how it is worse for one map or server then it is on another.

Might also have something to do with where players are, who their ISP, whether they are playing at peak times in their region, and how good or otherwise the servers are for that region.

Just because one region is lag free doesn’t mean the other will be, due to various factors.

Didn’t run into any major three ways tonight so can’t say I hit any major lag issues (one fight lagged a bit but nor game breaking), last night the lag was so bad I logged off my caster and got out my guard (for some reason Guardian’s skills seem to work better, might be a priority thing), who can survive not being able to cast anything.

I’d suggest playing an ele, necro or mes and then seeing whether you’re hitting lag, it’s a lot less noticable on guard or warrior (for me, anyway).

WvW player. Doing another world completion for my next Legendary. Hater of mini-games.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: dancingmonkey.4902

dancingmonkey.4902

Might also have something to do with where players are, who their ISP, whether they are playing at peak times in their region, and how good or otherwise the servers are for that region.

Just because one region is lag free doesn’t mean the other will be, due to various factors.

Didn’t run into any major three ways tonight so can’t say I hit any major lag issues (one fight lagged a bit but nor game breaking), last night the lag was so bad I logged off my caster and got out my guard (for some reason Guardian’s skills seem to work better, might be a priority thing), who can survive not being able to cast anything.

I’d suggest playing an ele, necro or mes and then seeing whether you’re hitting lag, it’s a lot less noticable on guard or warrior (for me, anyway).

I do not play guardian or warrior, but I had almost no lag last night at all.

I have made a similar statement as to ISP and location earlier in the thread, so I completely agree with you. Ironically, I received to harsh replies at times with folks who I gather know little of actual internet functionality and network structures to have an actual informed opinion, but one thing is for sure, they all want to demand it is 100% the server, all the fault of the server, and only the server.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Zephyra.4709

Zephyra.4709

Just an update on my behalf:

Prior 2 days ago I’ve had little to no lag at all. Hope it stays like that; or better. The lag does flutter a bit, especially when an enemy zerg pops outta no where.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: joneirikb.7506

joneirikb.7506

Just to throw in my experience on this. I have not experienced any notable "server lag" on Kaineng at all since these issues came to be. Do note that I’ve played 99% Borderlands and rarely if ever touch EBG.

All the "lag" I’ve had, has been because of own connection problems, me forgetting to turn something else off, or router/wifi problems etc. Where it has affected me only. So I have no experience with this whole Server-Lag.

My respects to you for taking hold of this ANet!

Elrik Noj (Norn Guardian, Kaineng [SIN][Owls])
“Understanding is a three edged sword: your side, their side, and the truth.”
“The objective is to win. The goal is to have fun.”

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

Yesterday reset on Gandara Eternal Battlegrounds was the worst lagfest i ever seen.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Algerius.5238

Algerius.5238

EB on AG vs DL and GH had a terrible skill lag during the reset, it’s fine this morning (ofc numbers are lower).

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: root.2859

root.2859

yesterday on reset for 4hours, SFR bl, lowest lag in weeks (rubberbanding spike whenever we got into range of a 40+v40+, but the spike disappeared just as fast).

few days ago i was suffering the same unplayable skilllag as everyone, now it was gone for one night and there are many other mu’s WITH the same old lag, thats puzzles me…

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Calypso.2578

Calypso.2578

~1000 ping. Reset night in Henge of Denravi BL around 9:30pm Pacific Time.

I have pretty kitten net, BTW. 15 mb down, 1.5 mb up.

Kaalypzo ~ Twitch ~ YouTube

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: ImLegion.4018

ImLegion.4018

Yesterday and today I got dc again, when we were hitting a blob again.

(Far Shiverpeaks, Desolation, Piken Square match up)

Perhaps the amount of button smashing is causing issues? I didn’t got any error report other then I could file a report to Anet, which I did.

Piken Square

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Huttunen.8309

Huttunen.8309

I’ve only experienced the same old skill lags, which always occured when three blobs clashed. Other than that it feels normalized for me!

Would be great btw if you could put the caps to the normal sizes again, primetime queues are horrible

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Gaab.4257

Gaab.4257

Again. Aurora Glade in EB, I have horrible skill lag, sometimes with high ping, sometimes with normal ping. No blob nearby though (nowhere as far as I know).

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

2-10 second Skill Lag on NA Tier 1 Eternal Battlegrounds. 4:30pm EST, 04/12

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Zaruna.3812

Zaruna.3812

I hope with the change that happend the Dev didn’t call it “good enough” and moved on. It’s definitely better, but not stable as to how it should be. Mostly 3 way fights, but also when walking in small groups I still see the players around me stutter in a way, not moving smoothly forward.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: ImLegion.4018

ImLegion.4018

Stephen is quite silent. So perhaps it’s good enough?

In overall it has been better. Weekend when 2 big server blobs fight each other it is sort of stable, but when the 3rd server blob appears lag get worse again. Yesterday fights I didn’t had much issues.

Piken Square

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: funassistant.6589

funassistant.6589

Blacktide Border

A group of Skritt attacked NW Camp. Uncontrollable lag.
Please lower map cap further so Skritt can’t blob.

Team Africa [TA]
European Overlord

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: SubHonour Guard.6498

SubHonour Guard.6498

My guild mates and I are having a competition to see whoever can screenshot the highest ping during a zerg fight. So far I’m winning.

http://puu.sh/hb3tW/d830b39105.jpg

This happens consistently to a few of us every large fight.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

blim.6320

My guild mates and I are having a competition to see whoever can screenshot the highest ping during a zerg fight. So far I’m winning.

http://puu.sh/hb3tW/d830b39105.jpg

This happens consistently to a few of us every large fight.

haha

I do find it amazing how my stable 24 ping to the server some how translates to a 100+ ping ingame and thats with -clientport 80.

Too many things wrong with this game since the last patch I just haven’t enjoyed it at all.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

And they never saw or heard from poor Stephen ClarkeWillson again. Some say Anet canned him for responding to WvW problems. Other say He never weas really there at all, a Remnant/ghost/echo of the old ANET that cared for wvv. We may never really know the truth, but if your quite, you can log into the WvW forums late on a Saturday night and still hear the sound of him typing. ooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Otokomae.9356

Otokomae.9356

And they never saw or heard from poor Stephen ClarkeWillson again. Some say Anet canned him for responding to WvW problems. Other say He never weas really there at all, a Remnant/ghost/echo of the old ANET that cared for wvv. We may never really know the truth, but if your quite, you can log into the WvW forums late on a Saturday night and still hear the sound of him typing. ooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooo

Oh, he’s real: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Clarke-Willson
He has a Ph.D. in Computer Science, & has been working on games since the SNES/Sega Genesis days. I feel like he just might know what he’s doing here… I think he’s just very busy. You can watch a video here to get an idea of what these guys do all day: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/180776/Video_The_tech_challenges_in_Guild_Wars_2s_nosub_MMO_model.php

Bakuon/Bakuon Thief [MAS]/ ex-[ATac]

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

If anyone ever thinks of getting this game for it’s large scale PvP combat… don’t even bother.

Week after week, day after day, whenever zergs get on (usually primetime), World vs. World becomes unplayable for me, but if it was just me I wouldn’t be complaining here. Apart from me several guildies and even random people complain about it in map, team and say chat.

This really needs your attention, ArenaNet. If players can’t play the game… that’s never a good sign.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

blim.6320

This lag is just too much. I’m going to have to quit.

It has always been laggy in wvw but this has gone on far too long . Waste of time!

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Stephen ClarkeWillson

Previous

Stephen ClarkeWillson

ArenaNet Studio Technical Director

Next

This isn’t “good enough”. My focus has shifted temporarily to the Stronghold open beta for sPvP tomorrow. But even so I and other programmers have been looking at source code searching for reasons why some people standing right next to each other have lag and some don’t. Right now that’s the big mystery. As programmers we don’t like it when performance is inconsistent; if it was always lagging for everyone it would be easier to debug but alas that is not the case.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Saucermote.9140

Saucermote.9140

This isn’t “good enough”. My focus has shifted temporarily to the Stronghold open beta for sPvP tomorrow. But even so I and other programmers have been looking at source code searching for reasons why some people standing right next to each other have lag and some don’t. Right now that’s the big mystery. As programmers we don’t like it when performance is inconsistent; if it was always lagging for everyone it would be easier to debug but alas that is not the case.

Can you also look and see if these performance blips and server catchups are also affecting PvE when you get back to it? Ever since the stability patch hits, I’ve been seeing the same sort of unresponsive skills, and the server randomly playing catchup after the action seems to be done while the game is showing a healthy ping during busy world boss events. Just pick a busy world, watch for a daily world boss, and prime time. I never had these problems in PvE or WvW until the Stability patch hit, so it may be worth looking at the PvE side as well.

I get good framerates, and 80-120 ms pings during all this, it is just the game world that becomes unresponsive, or erratic.

You don’t win friends with Salad.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: GrandHaven.1052

GrandHaven.1052

Was exceptionally laggy(skill lag and random teleports) last night on the borderlands again. Around 10PM GMT+2.
Mostly spikes though, I am 80% sure it was not connection related because a friend was playing on the same connection but in PvE without issue.
Was roaming as well, although the map was pretty populated.

Thanks Stephen for at least letting us know you have not forgotten, most of us understand that some things are more of a priority depending on your focus at the office.

Please keep up the good work.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Kicast.1459

Kicast.1459

Thank you..your feedback is welcomed.
I was wondering something…you certainly have already checked it..but in case you didn’t:
I agree that having one guy not lagging with another lagging 2 meters aways seems a bit surprising.
If it is a server issue (which seems to be the case…but I am not 100% sure) it means that one guy is needing more from the server than the other. This makes me think of the parameters of visibility => number of objects that can be seen regarding the distance from the character. Is this parameter likely to cause (when set high) more calculations on server side or more network packets to be sent to the client ?

It could maybe be helpfull to get the setting from players having lags…

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Ballads.2509

Ballads.2509

Can you also look and see if these performance blips and server catchups are also affecting PvE when you get back to it? Ever since the stability patch hits, I’ve been seeing the same sort of unresponsive skills, and the server randomly playing catchup after the action seems to be done while the game is showing a healthy ping during busy world boss events. Just pick a busy world, watch for a daily world boss, and prime time. I never had these problems in PvE or WvW until the Stability patch hit, so it may be worth looking at the PvE side as well.

I get good framerates, and 80-120 ms pings during all this, it is just the game world that becomes unresponsive, or erratic.

Go away, WvW issues get dev attention so little we don’t need you in here with your however serious it may be problem. Go post in one of the many sections devoted to pve for assistance to you issue. I would ask you please avoid side tracking over worked mr. Clarkewillson as he attempts to help a section of the game that often get neglected.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Orochimaru.4730

Orochimaru.4730

This isn’t “good enough”. My focus has shifted temporarily to the Stronghold open beta for sPvP tomorrow.

A lot of us are grateful that you took your time to look at the lag. But on the side you can guess that a lot of players were taking bets on how long you would remain :P

As you know it can be hostile on the WvW forums, but it’s because so many times we’ve seen a red post claiming to help, then they suddenly disappear.

Your post saying you are working on the stronghold beta will quiet down some, but just remember if you are working on this to keep players updated, if you need to do other parts of your job and cannot work on it, just add a post saying you will be away for a while.
It wont stop the negative comments, but at least it’s letting us know why things has slowed down or stopped.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Mage.5367

Mage.5367

Just scrap all this WvW stuff and give us death matches

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: VenomousEX.4012

VenomousEX.4012

Freaking reroll the update for pvp lag. Freaking making us wvw players lag instead.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: Pifil.5193

Pifil.5193

Go away, WvW issues get dev attention so little we don’t need you in here with your however serious it may be problem. Go post in one of the many sections devoted to pve for assistance to you issue. I would ask you please avoid side tracking over worked mr. Clarkewillson as he attempts to help a section of the game that often get neglected.

If a “fix” made in one area of the game makes others worse it could be an indication of what the actual root problem is, as they are all based on the same technology. Any information here could help them find and fix the problem.

Saucermote’s observations could be very helpful to ArenaNet, your “them versus us” attitude is not.

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

Posted by: HoukaKetsueki.6924

HoukaKetsueki.6924

Wow the lag is back for me in WvW but not in spvp or pve.

Koko Puffz / Kokoro Chan
Coerce[LOLI]
Tarnished Coast Asian Roamer

WvW Lag March 2015

in WvW

blim.6320

I have stopped playing for now because of the lag.

Incase it helps…

I was for the first time seeing latency spikes to the server via a ping test outside of the games ping reading the other night 13/04/2015 (same night gta v got release). But before this I was having problems with skills loading and I was forced to check and look at the skill bar to see if things had worked (not fun or fast game play)

I also found that reseting the games setting also helped with mading the updates work for me. As in some of the things you added in the update didn’t seem to apply to my game. Also made the game perform better once I had changed my setting back to how I had them before.

I used this -prefreset to do it.

Good luck with fixing that.