WvW Poll 31 May: Mixed Borderlands (CLOSED)

in WvW

Posted by: Teon.5168

Teon.5168

Small minorities can determine the future of WvW now.

Absolutely correct. Truly depressing. My faith that wvw might improve pretty much evaporated with that last poll.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: Mew.7386

Mew.7386

oh no, I want to give a chance to DBL. But from this poll, look like 55% people don’t want rotation because of DBL. WvW is boring if the population drop that much again..for the next poll, look like I have no choice and can only vote to scrap DBL..I just feel something not right on this?

in WvW

Posted by: Taxidriver.2043

Taxidriver.2043

only 30% wants DBL and now u going to do quarterly update to put it back in that doesnt make any sense.

in WvW

Posted by: sirjarros.4107

sirjarros.4107

see my post above…this poll was constructed poorly and inaccurately, thus leading to an inaccurate, unreliable result. don’t despair players…let’s just get them to re-run this poll, better constructed to what it should be. Something like this…..(thrown together quickly)

“Dear WvWers: Which strategy for using the various BL maps do you prefer most?

1. 2 ABL and 1 DBL every week — allows for development of future maps
2. 1 ABL and 2 DBL every week — allows for development of future maps
3. 3 months of only ABL followed by 3 months of only DBL. rinse repeat

Choose one."

majority wins

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

The most facepalm vote ever. This is just kittened. First Anet set’s a ridiculously high 75% requirement and then they have four options essentially making it impossible get that. But when we do get 70% in favor… then it’s like no lol you still get what the minority want.

This was a kittening trap orchestrated by Anet, plain and simple.

I hope everyone that voted no are happy with kittening up the community and still get 3 months of a map they dislike.

in WvW

Posted by: sirjarros.4107

sirjarros.4107

perhaps this was posted already…not taking time to check…but i just realized how messed up this poll really was that NO won with a minority vote. that’s just wrong statistically, professionally and morally speaking .

for No to win it should require 75% as well. there shouldn’t be a double standard.

thus this poll is inconclusive. neither option really won (based on the 75% rule from Anet).

and yet statistically speaking Yes won by a massive majority.

Yes really is the superior option for all players (regardless of ABL or DBL love/hate) because it gives everyone a choices to play what they want every week without imposing one option on everyone all the time for months on end.

i sure hope this get revisited asap. it’s really bizarre and inconclusive for so many reasons.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Team A needs 4 points to win
Team A scores 3 points
Team B scores 1 point

Team B wins

Is this some form of flawed soccer logic that places losers above winners for scoring 1 goal when they are away?

in WvW

Posted by: ThomasC.1056

ThomasC.1056

As far as I’m not satisfied with the way things turn out, I must admit that it’s not a matter of who wins, or who loses.

They were really clear about all this from the beginning. The situation is not : “Devs are idle, what should they do know ?”. The situation is “Devs are currently doing A. You seem to consider a B option. Should we switch to B ?” That’s not at all the same, and considering the amount of work already spent, and the incoming amount should there be a change, it seems fair to ask for a super-majority.

So, this is not exactly a “minory blocade” situation. This is : “The amount of people supporting the B option is not worth the effort”.

Yet, that 75% figure seems awful,ly high and that outcome and the associated comments really feel bitter.

in WvW

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

for No to win it should require 75% as well. there shouldn’t be a double standard.

Agreed.

But what was it an Anet dev said once? Oh right. “Speak now or forever hold your breath”.

And we spoke exactly what Anet wanted and the poll is closed now, end of discussion, no backsies. Hence, minority votes win votes based on the question asked.

What’s the next poll gonna be?

“Do you want arrowcart damage lowered or should we keep it as is?”

73% voted to lower it. 10% voted to increase it instead. 17% voted to keep it as is.

Neither the lower damage vote or keep as is vote reached the 75% votes so Anet will now increase the arrowcart damage, just like the community want.

in WvW

Posted by: Johje Holan.4607

Johje Holan.4607

Team A needs 4 points to win
Team A scores 3 points
Team B scores 1 point

Team B wins

Is this some form of flawed soccer logic that places losers above winners for scoring 1 goal when they are away?

Strangely I was watching a soccer match the other day. One team was dominating the entire match. But it was still 1-0.

And then literally at the very end, in the extra time, at 93 minutes and some change, the other team scored. Game over at 94 minutes. It was 1-1.

But the team that scored at the end won apparently. They got some kind of trophy or award. I couldn’t really tell what was going on because it was all in Spanish and I don’t speak Spanish. But it didn’t seem right.

(edited by Johje Holan.4607)

in WvW

Posted by: Nokaru.7831

Nokaru.7831

It makes sense that since “No” was at a disadvantage it needed a lower threshold win. The thing is that “Yes” had only a 2:1 ratio, shouldn’t it have needed 66% of the votes for the majority instead of 75%? Wouldn’t 75% have made sense if there were four options, not three?

The poll should have simply been: “Yes” and “No”, and if “Yes” won it should have had the community vote on the ratio then. Also, it should have been clear that “Yes” had a good chance of getting a new map as well.

in WvW

Posted by: Chaba.5410

Chaba.5410

Even impeaching a US president only requires a two-thirds super-majority vote.

Chaba Tangnu
Founding member of [NERF] Fort Engineer and driver for [TLC] The Legion of Charrs
RIP [SIC] Strident Iconoclast

in WvW

Posted by: Nausicca.6038

Nausicca.6038

Great, these dead borderlands again…

VoxL, NSPPT

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

Great, these dead borderlands again…

If you scroll back through the thread, Tyler posted that the poll after next is supposed to give the option to vote the DBL out of WvW and have no rotation so this is actually not a loss to those players who do not want the DBL in WvW, it is a loss to those who do.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

in WvW

Posted by: Bandini.6185

Bandini.6185

I don’t think the removal of DBL will reach 75% either.
Anyway, everybody will loose something : either a map, or players to play with.

in WvW

Posted by: TwistedFate.8705

TwistedFate.8705

It is ok… We can all get excited and go back to ebg to stand around and duel for 3 months again! Even mentioning the return of DBL I think is a bad idea this early into the revival of wvw.. Players are still returning and you do not want to drive them away just yet.

Also maybe let the winning vote actually win regardless if it got 75% or not. Don’t kill wvw again please im having so much fun right now.

in WvW

Posted by: Crise.9401

Crise.9401

only 30% wants DBL and now u going to do quarterly update to put it back in that doesnt make any sense.

How exactly do you see the previous poll as only 30% wanting DBL… this poll that just ended only reflects three things

1) around 15% would prefer 2 DBL 1 ABL (likely implying they like DBL more than ABL)
2) 55% percent were willing to compromise having 1 DBL in order to have ABL always available.
5) 30% want to have 3 months of ABL and 3 months of DBL as a rotation.

The people voting “no” were simply voting to retain the status quo, which has been quarterly map rotation pretty much since they took DBL out.

Now it will be interesting to see what the poll after the next one will be like, I am hedging my bets that it will be pretty close too, only this time the minority that will decide, once again, while keeping the status quo intact, will result in three months of DBL every other quarter living on.

in WvW

Posted by: Tyler Bearce

Previous

Tyler Bearce

Game Designer

Next

Personally, I voted ‘Yes’ to this, as did the rest of my team. So we are also disappointed with the result. But that was an accepted risk when we decided to poll the community about WvW development rather than just following our own vision.

in WvW

Posted by: Gigiobalt.7625

Gigiobalt.7625

Where is the option “No Desert BL’s at all” on the pool?

in WvW

TwistedFate.8705

Personally, I voted ‘Yes’ to this, as did the rest of my team. So we are also disappointed with the result. But that was an accepted risk when we decided to poll the community about WvW development rather than just following our own vision.

I think if you are going to have a vote the highest result should be in favor. As of now we do not have the population for the size of the desert maps. Even some nights alpine maps are empty so what chance does desert have? If you guys see a huge decline in wvw population when the desert maps come back again will this mean anything like it did last time? You guys have even said your selves that the wvw population has increased since the return of the alpine maps. There are too many people saying bring back desert maps just because they look pretty. That has nothing to do with wvw

It is like me going to vote for a new prime minster and the current one says unless 75% favor the new PM I will retain the power. What is the point in voting? Also you basically have 70% voting yes how does that not mean anything at all? 70% vs 30% is a huge gap thats a whopping 40% difference and that is 40% of potential player base that could pack up and leave again if the whole 70% don’t.

(edited by TwistedFate.8705)

in WvW

Teon.5168

Being that you split the ‘yes’ vote option into two choices, and left the ‘no’ vote only one choice, the yes votes never had a chance in h&$* of reaching 75%. Poll was over before it ever even started.

Forum discussions -
Mmo players with a screw loose vs mmo players with two screws loose. All very important stuff.
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

“Our vision was to have rotating BLs.”

“70% instead of 75% voted for rotating BLs.”

“Sigh, let’s follow what the community wants and give those 30% something that we don’t see as good ourselves.”

Huh?

20 level 80s and counting.

in WvW

Teon.5168

You need to keep up….that comes 2 polls down the road.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: X T D.6458

X T D.6458

Problem is now people like me who didn’t like the dbl but were prepared to accept both maps at once will be basically forced to vote against it ever returning it again…And now I am going to feel really bad if it gets to 75% for all those people who like the dbl and to all the devs who worked on it…

This whole mess, just a giant wasted opportunity…

I say what needs to be said, get used to it.
Honesty is not insulting, stupidity is.
>Class Balance is a Joke<

in WvW

Teon.5168

“Sigh, let’s follow what the community wants and give those 30% something that we don’t see as good ourselves.”

Huh?

I got to completely agree with this. The devs wanted the rotation, as well, yet 30% drive this direction of wvw?

Makes about as much sense as lipstick on a pig.

Sorry, but at this point, I give up. You guys are suddenly making no sense whatsoever. You start out with some decent polls, great communication, and then you act like you’re suffering altitude sickness and making absolutely no sense at all in the wording of a poll, and even less sense in how the poll is decided.

I’ll just keep playing wvw. As long as I am having fun, I will keep playing it. Once it becomes dull, and/or too messed up, I will play other parts of the game until someone else gives a logical and reasonable stab at large scale wvw in another mmorpg.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

Posted by: lil devils x.6071

lil devils x.6071

Problem is now people like me who didn’t like the dbl but were prepared to accept both maps at once will be basically forced to vote against it ever returning it again…And now I am going to feel really bad if it gets to 75% for all those people who like the dbl and to all the devs who worked on it…

This is why I think it should not be a vote to vote it out entirely, just to take it out of live game and work on it, beta test it, poll it. Work/test/poll/work/test/poll until it is ready. THEN poll to have it put back in game once players are happy with it instead.

Instead of voting it out entirely, vote to send it back to beta until it is ready.

They really should have waited to even bring the DBL up right now at all with so many still raging hating on the DBL still. I think they may not grasp how much people actually hate that map right now.

[KILL]Killing Tiers Leader [TOON] Toons of Terror Leader [NEWS This Just In Leader
WvW / PVP ONLY

(edited by lil devils x.6071)

in WvW

TwistedFate.8705

Huh?

I got to completely agree with this. The devs wanted the rotation, as well, yet 30% drive this direction of wvw?

Makes about as much sense as lipstick on a pig.

Agree with all of this. There has to be a solution to make everyone happy. They could even just have 3 maps 1x ebg 1x dbl 1x alpine and remove home servers completely. You pick a map and get on there with your server and fight to claim it. This result has basically just done the complete opposite of what majority of voters want and even your wvw team.

in WvW

Posted by: Vavume.8065

Vavume.8065

The 3 month rotation is your own vision…

in WvW

Teon.5168

I, frankly, don’t even see a reason to vote in any of the upcoming polls. Seriously, why bother? Not sure why I voted in any of the past ones, either.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Crise.9401

It is coming with the poll after the next one… this current poll is already over anyways. See Tyler’s earlier post for reasoning. That said the polls should have been conducted in reverse order in my opinion or combined into one poll with adjusted passing criteria and two questions (ie. if removing DBL does not reach 75%, which of the two options remaining would you prefer as the second question).

I think if you are going to have a vote the highest result should be in favor.

I would agree with you, however, not anymore… this should have been the way they did it for all the polls. Changing now, mid way through a set of polls that should have been resolved in a single poll, isn’t exactly fair for the previous results.

Huh?

This isn’t actually correct, “Yes” implies one of the two choices with mixed maps, and the 30% that won was the pro-rotation choice. I think you know this, but wrote it out incorrectly though, just pointing it out.

The 3 month rotation is your own vision…

Maybe originally, but judging from Tyler’s post their opinion changed, and I can’t blame them… they obviously like DBL otherwise it would have been made into something different from the beginning, however, they also see that not everyone in the community agrees… so it makes sense to advocate for the choice that is most likely going to be agreeable compromise for all involved parties in the long run.

(edited by Crise.9401)

in WvW

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

just shoot the thing already

Where the “thing” you want to shoot is the ability to vote of the players that are wanting to scrap it completely without even seeing what improvements iterative changes can lead to, right? =P

*edited to satisfy my social anxiety, though now it’s a wordy messy mouthful. Ah well.

yes
and take magnesium

in WvW

X T D.6458

I, frankly, don’t even see a reason to vote in any of the upcoming polls. Seriously, why bother? Not sure why I voted in any of the past ones, either.

Well this one is definitely an exception because it was riddled with problems, but in general its a good way to prioritize plans for the future. Cant simply downplay the value because it doesn’t go your way.

in WvW

Posted by: Hexinx.1872

Hexinx.1872

Our team had a round table today at work. It was great, we thought of a new direction we really wanted to take this initiative. Everyone was so excited… we drafted up a memo and shared it out across our business. There was a resounding applause to follow suit on our direction, a whopping 715 customers out of 1000. We all sat back, and said ‘hey, this is legit, we are making traction’ Let’s stick handle this baby through execution.

Just before the days end the boss came in. He gathered us around, and said ‘hey guys, I have spoken to the stakeholders, and they decided not to go in that direction. I know you were excited, there was a lot of energy and buzz going on. But we’ll just carry on as is…. oh and half of you are fired’

My friday fun, can’t wait till beer and cake time.

in WvW

Posted by: Byega.4215

Byega.4215

The poll has ended! After removing all votes for “Don’t Count My Vote” and combining the two “Yes” votes, the final results are:

69.7% – Yes (55% Double Alpine + 14.7% Double Desert)
30.3% – No

Since “Yes” to Mixed Borderlands did not received the required 75% of the vote, we’ll continue with the quarterly borderlands map rotation instead. Thank you to everyone who voted!

By analogy, one person is ill and has 2 treatments for her cure. One with 70% of success and one with 30% of success. Will she take the 30% of success ? No. It’s common sense.

80 Human Elementalist – Dagger/Focus

Last fair fight before Orbageddon was against Itkoviana

in WvW

Posted by: SyLaR.3628

SyLaR.3628

Excuse me? It was your vision of rotating borderland every 3 months, you havent asked us before about this, you decided it alone.
Now you have polled players where 70% want mixed borderlands and 30% rotation.
Why rotation didnt need 75% to win also?

Something is wrong here. Anet wanted to listen to the community, but now they are deciding that rotation borderland will be better for the game , when 70% of players want mixed bl.

Also next poll will be rigged, people will vote to remove desert bl just because it will be in rotation every 3 months, because you- Anet have decided to do it and ignore 70% of players.

Slacking till CU/CF.

in WvW

Posted by: Akkeros.1675

Akkeros.1675

Don’t shoot yourselves in the foot by keeping dbl around for 3 months at a time. Your “poll” (if you want to call it that) clearly showed the majority picked a greater amount of alpine v desert.
I should hope the other poll to remove dbl completely eliminates this buffoonery.

in WvW

Teon.5168

Well this one is definitely an exception because it was riddled with problems, but in general its a good way to prioritize plans for the future. Cant simply downplay the value because it doesn’t go your way.

Has absolutely nothing to do with going my way or not. I like dbls, so having them for a 3 month stretch of time is ok by me.

But I don’t feel, with the horribly confusing wording and options of the poll, and then Tyler’s even more confusing response on that the devs also wanted a mixed rotation….that the majority will of the players was even somewhat represented in the results.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

(edited by Teon.5168)

in WvW

TwistedFate.8705

I think if you are going to have a vote the highest result should be in favor.

I would agree with you, however, not anymore… this should have been the way they did it for all the polls. Changing now, mid way through a set of polls that should have been resolved in a single poll, isn’t exactly fair for the previous results.

I agree with you there but statistics do not lie and they can clearly see what majority of their player base want. They could even rotate both yes options which would look better then having the 3 month rotation option…

in WvW

Crise.9401

Also next poll will be rigged, people will vote to remove desert bl just because it will be in rotation every 4 months, because you- Anet have decided to do it and ignore 70% of players.

I very much agree with this… but they have to stick to their decisions, they decided 75% majority would be needed for all major game changes… going back on it now would not be fair.

However, I don’t think the next poll about removal of DBL entirely will be a representative sample either, because of the reasons you and others pointed out. Unfortunately, nothing they can do about it… if they change their minds now, all credibility of these and future polls will be voided.

Personally, I think DBL could be a good map, yes it needs work lot of it even… but I would hate to see it disappear completely too. Especially, since the changes they made for it and upcoming changes already made, that we have yet to play, as well as potential changes they have talked about seem promising. I always saw the yes 1 option of this poll as the perfect compromise as well as an interesting thing we have never tried before. Theory is often different than practice.

(edited by Crise.9401)

in WvW

X T D.6458

Has absolutely nothing to do with going my way or not. I like dbls, so having them for a 3 month stretch of time is ok by me.

But I don’t feel, with the horribly confusing wording and options of the poll, and then Tyler’s even more confusing response on that the devs also wanted a rotation….that the majority will of the players was even somewhat represented in the results.

It was more of a general statement, not a personal one. They should redo how the polls are presented and how they are used

-Simpler wording
-Less options to avoid confusion and cluttering percentages when there is a requirement for change
-Lower percentage requirement to say two thirds, its not a simple majority but still high enough that it would show a generally favorable view of that option
-When having a poll, dont make announcements about other polls that could have an effect on the current one

in WvW

TwistedFate.8705

Also next poll will be rigged, people will vote to remove desert bl just because it will be in rotation every 4 months, because you- Anet have decided to do it and ignore 70% of players.

I very much agree with this… but they have to stick to their decisions, they decided 75% majority would be needed for all major game changes… going back on it now would not be fair.

However, I don’t think the next poll about removal of DBL entirely will be a representative sample either, because of the reasons you pointed out. Unfortunately, nothing they can do about it… if they change their minds now, all credibility of these and future polls will be voided.

They could make an exception for the next poll. And they could make an exception for any poll where the leading vote is in front by 40 dam percent…

in WvW

Teon.5168

However, I don’t think the next poll about removal of DBL entirely will be a representative sample either, because of the reasons you pointed out. Unfortunately, nothing they can do about it… if they change their minds now, all credibility of these and future polls will be voided.

Completely agree.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Teon.5168

But I don’t feel, with the horribly confusing wording and options of the poll, and then Tyler’s even more confusing response on that the devs also wanted a rotation….that the majority will of the players was even somewhat represented in the results.

It was more of a general statement, not a personal one. They should redo how the polls are presented and how they are used

-Simpler wording
-Less options to avoid confusion and cluttering percentages when there is a requirement for change
-Lower percentage requirement to say two thirds, its not a simple majority but still high enough that it would show a generally favorable view of that option
-When having a poll, dont make announcements about other polls that could have an effect on the current one

Got ya…no prob.

They can certainly make the wording and options more clear and concise, but at this point, they cannot change their super super majority. As someone else said in another post, if they do that now, ALL credibility for these polls will completely evaporate.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: Kylden Ar.3724

Kylden Ar.3724

Congratulations all you anti-DBL people! Due to you inability to vote for your least hated option (2 ABL 1 DBL) you now get ALL DBL FOR A FULL QUARTER!!!!

They are not going to put “delete DBL” up to a real vote. The vote to remove DBL won’t hit 75% either. They advertised it with HoT (like legendaries) and we remember that cluster of cute kittens. If your side couldn’t get a 75% to minimize the mix, you probably won’t get 75% to remove it either. You all had your chance to minimize the exposure. I even threw a vote your way while I prefer DBL.

Now, for a quarter at a time, roaming PvE guilds get their wish. Congrats!

And we don’t get the chance at a 3rd map too. Way to vote against the only new WvW content in the past year AND future content.

Kylden
Leader of TACO mini-roamer guild, Kaineng.

in WvW

Teon.5168

Congratulations all you anti-DBL people! Due to you inability to vote for your least hated option (2 ABL 1 DBL) you now get ALL DBL FOR A FULL QUARTER!!!!

They are not going to put “delete DBL” up to a real vote. The vote to remove DBL won’t hit 75% either. They advertised it with HoT (like legendaries) and we remember that cluster of cute kittens. If your side couldn’t get a 75% to minimize the mix, you probably won’t get 75% to remove it either. You all had your chance to minimize the exposure. I even threw a vote your way while I prefer DBL.

Now, for a quarter at a time, roaming PvE guilds get their wish. Congrats!

And we don’t get the chance at a 3rd map too. Way to vote against the only new WvW content in the past year AND future content.

Got to completely agree with one of my wvw cohorts-in-arms. It is truly mind boggling, Kyl.

Forum discussions -
-Zenleto-

in WvW

Posted by: TallBarr.2184

TallBarr.2184

I think if you are going to have a vote the highest result should be in favor. As of now we do not have the population for the size of the desert maps. Even some nights alpine maps are empty so what chance does desert have? If you guys see a huge decline in wvw population when the desert maps come back again will this mean anything like it did last time? You guys have even said your selves that the wvw population has increased since the return of the alpine maps. There are too many people saying bring back desert maps just because they look pretty. That has nothing to do with wvw

It is like me going to vote for a new prime minster and the current one says unless 75% favor the new PM I will retain the power. What is the point in voting? Also you basically have 70% voting yes how does that not mean anything at all? 70% vs 30% is a huge gap thats a whopping 40% difference and that is 40% of potential player base that could pack up and leave again if the whole 70% don’t.

I want desert beaquse they dont have stale kitten layout like depressing kitten alpine maps.

Ultimate Dominator , Diamond invader

in WvW

Posted by: Kylden Ar.3724

Kylden Ar.3724

This isn’t actually correct, “Yes” implies one of the two choices with mixed maps, and the 30% that won was the pro-rotation choice. I think you know this, but wrote it out incorrectly though, just pointing it out.

Ummmm…. no…

69.7% – Yes (55% Double Alpine + 14.7% Double Desert)
30.3% – No

55% > 30.3%.

Your analysis is simply wrong. The only clear majority option in that poll was mixed with double alpine.

Kylden
Leader of TACO mini-roamer guild, Kaineng.

in WvW

Crise.9401

They could make an exception for the next poll. And they could make an exception for any poll where the leading vote is in front by 40 dam percent…

Of course they could, however, if they do… they undermine the importance of any future poll. They laid out the requirements for the poll to pass, changing them because it suits their own views means that when they next say X percent majority is needed to enact a change no longer means anything as people will just think, they said that last time too and look what happened.

in WvW

Posted by: TallBarr.2184

TallBarr.2184

Don’t shoot yourselves in the foot by keeping dbl around for 3 months at a time. Your “poll” (if you want to call it that) clearly showed the majority picked a greater amount of alpine v desert.
I should hope the other poll to remove dbl completely eliminates this buffoonery.

The poll shows a majority of playerbase wants a mixture of them 2, with 2 alpine and 1 desert. Stop pulling kitten out of your kitten will ya.

Ultimate Dominator , Diamond invader

in WvW

TwistedFate.8705

I want desert beaquse they dont have stale kitten layout like depressing kitten alpine maps.

stale layout? No one cares how the maps look people just want a map that works with people on there to fight. I mean yea dbl looks cool but meh the map doesn’t work… Screw looks that is completely irrelevant to wvw. If you want looks go pve.