WvWy’s 2012 - who was your favorite opponent in 2012?

in WvW

Posted by: Serophous.9085

Serophous.9085

Gonna say tc.

Entertaining threads.
fun fights
And because of our super secret bff awesome alliance that no one knows about.

in WvW

Posted by: exits.8075

exits.8075

I think Maguuma is a pretty cool guy. eh constructed ramelot and doesn’t afraid of anything.

FA wants a bromance with Maguuma

FA and Maguuma should form a Megazord <3

Are you thinking what I’m thinking? FA WvW guilds and Mag WvW guilds reform on Ferguson’s Crossing for a week?

With that, I nominate Ferguson’s Crossing.

in WvW

Posted by: Pendragon.8735

Pendragon.8735

The original versions of SoR and Blackgate, before both were dog-piled on by transfers. SoR because they were super competitive and even with us at YB, and Blackgate because they were an example of how to be good without being arrogant.

More recently TC were fun opponents though the scores weren’t super close against them.

in WvW

Posted by: Bleergh.1938

Bleergh.1938

TC for best server, they have a great community and were awesome to fight against.
If i wasn’t a Yak I’d definitely be a TC Pirate.
Other servers that have impressed me over the passed year are SoR v1.0 and NSP – that match-up we had was awesome

Shal Greenhaven
Yak’s Bend

in WvW

Posted by: phaneo.4597

phaneo.4597

A little late to the party I guess! My vote goes to Yak’s Bend hands down. Even when they’re outnumbered, their walls are hard to breach and fight till the end; and the best part for me is – they fight with both their head and their heart equally and show lots of grace on the battlefield and the forums. Hats off to you guys!

KNOW YOUR ROLE, JABRONI!
Tee See

in WvW

Posted by: Leo Paul.1659

Leo Paul.1659

I nominate SoR. I dunno why but I’ve always looked at them as SoS’s rival more than any other server.

Queen Of The Moors (Blackgate)
Deaths Fear [Fear] / The Hardcore Caravan [HC]
Forum Warrior: Black Belt in Ninja Edits

in WvW

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

I nominate ‘teh culling’ . Very deadly and hard to fight agains’t.

All is vain.

in WvW

Posted by: Aysnvaust.7046

Aysnvaust.7046

for EU it’s Vizunah fo shure. No matter who comes up to T1, be it international or EU, they keep their ground up there – very impressive.
Plus in the forum (dunno about the french forum^^) they are always friendly and respectfull.

Poke Menot
Asura Thief
Elona Reach

in WvW

Posted by: Wamgor.9347

Wamgor.9347

The server with the Best spirit (both NA/EU): Riverside

Friendliest server EU (for EU guys only): Gunnars hold

Top Guild EU(the guild that when you encountered was always loyal to their server fought hard and was respectful): RSC / KOA

Best Server EU: Kodash

Best overall server: (so far) Toss up between Kodash organised and Riverside’s spirit

Kind Regards
TUP

Raid Leader/Officer
The Unlikely Plan (TUP)
Ex Piken Square (EU)

in WvW

Posted by: Littlefeather.8623

Littlefeather.8623

Maguuma, and I’ve faced YB, CD, FA, all they have is numbers.

Maguuma has had the best siege tactics and strategy I have seen any opponent use.

Crazy Leg

in WvW

Posted by: Kurthos.2354

Kurthos.2354

Sanctum of Rall were the best opponents that SoS ever have faced to date. They gave us the biggest challenge. I feel that if that one specific match had ended in SoR’s favor, they would have been sitting in SoS’s throne right now.

We’re very excited to play against Blackgate. Most guilds on SoS have a bone to pick with them for one reason or another

in WvW

Posted by: rogtak.2708

rogtak.2708

as a pikeneer, among all the oppenents that we fought so far, it was riverside that fought open, with high spirit, clever ninja tactics, also grt attiude in forums. them was grt rivals.

KA
piken square

in WvW

Posted by: Kovu.7560

Kovu.7560

As a Dragonbrander I’d have to say all of those close matches against Darkhaven. >=D

~ Kovu

Charr Ranger, Necromancer, Thief
Fort Aspenwood. [CREW], [TLC], [ShW], [UNIV]

in WvW

Posted by: Nidhogg.2950

Nidhogg.2950

I nominate Piken Square,

Great fights with tightly run groups, and as I found out when guesting there: its all done by very friendly and nice people. Politely and without fuss they plan the dismantlement of their enemy. Even in their internal coms they are polite and respectfull about their opponents.

They fought us a long time ago, had a chat with some of their commanders then. Was a blast, dont think I ever heard Slaughtererer get such a scare as Vanz gave him :-p

Guildleader of Vitas, Gunnars Hold

in WvW

Posted by: Jarul.8635

Jarul.8635

Kodash get’s my vote. Hope it won’t be to long before we cross blades again.

in WvW

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Blacktide. Ahahah no seriously, Desolation! Desolation folks are pretty fun to fight against

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

in WvW

Posted by: Eslakon.8149

Eslakon.8149

Being from TC, I’ll have to say that I had the most fun fighting members of FA, who kept going after a losing streak (Much respect for that!), and had a lot of people who were skilled and knew their class and how to fight. Currently, I miss those great small scale fights.

Destanna – Elementalist
Member of [STFU] S T F University on Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: Kyma Grey.9410

Kyma Grey.9410

I´v been on every NA server for at least for 24h, fought Blackgate, Dragonbrand, Yaks, Borlisianers and other fews. Went throught T9 to T3 hell on Piken Square and to be honest with´ya all ->

even after 4 months, it´s about to zerg or getting zerg´d. Defending an enemy tower after raiding it or camp, is not required, we got it for the “TICK”.. is the tactic right now (on every server more or less). Remove the tick system or hide it Anet, hopefully this will encourage some to actually defend an enemy tower for more than just 20 seconds…

Getting in the middle of a “sammwich” :P for a month straight, that was the best thing i had on Piken Square.

Darkroom JP Annoyance http://is.gd/erW1Ov
AMD 13.×.beta4 Test http://is.gd/mRomyO

(edited by Kyma Grey.9410)

in WvW

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

I think all servers are pretty much the same, all that is different is how many, and what time a day, the vast number of hand holding, guard hugging zerglets play. Most servers have their gems as well, the handful of people that play with skill and tactics, pretty evenly spread though, so again no server really stands out for me.

~ AoN ~

in WvW

Posted by: TheDevilWithinU.7092

TheDevilWithinU.7092

SoR has the strongest NA prime-time out there. Literally nobody can match up against it.

I will agree TC has seemed to been a very nice group of folks since we started playing ’em.

| Maguuma | [KEK] | GvG Relic & Historian |
Notorious Nevermore – Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Jayne.9251

Jayne.9251

Only three more days left to vote folks! Get yours in!

L’enfer, c’est les autres

in WvW

Posted by: Evalana.5480

Evalana.5480

Those Maguuma guys aggravate my migraines.

I vote for them!

Indecisive Eva – Maguuma – [GS] Gun Squad
Looking for Guards, Warriors, & Mesmers!
Apply today at: http://tinyurl.com/gunsquad

in WvW

Posted by: TurtleMuncher.9750

TurtleMuncher.9750

I nominate SoR as the favourite server to fight against. The SoS v SoR v IoJ rotations were the best when SoS was going up and I recall staying up till 5am with guildies to stop CRS + ND from hitting the borderlands to maintain the ppt. Their NA crew is actually better than t1 at the moment but they just dont have the coverage to stop the weekday nightcapping. Fighting them was my second most memorable WvW experience aside from the MERC vs Pink golem duel months ago ( that one is pure troll :>).

MERC

in WvW

Posted by: Thurbleton.5841

Thurbleton.5841

Top 5 for suspense (and recognition)

5 Fort Aspenwood – For having trolls on your server who do the worst things, cause all is fair in war.
4 Gates of Madness – For you and other servers who’s players love their server more then transferring as they fell down the rankings, may you bounce back.
3 Ehmry Bay – Cause ya’ll got some crazy beef with us always and its AWESOME bringing your A Game
2 Tarnished Coast – For amazing response/coordination of small groups
(drumroll)
1 Maguuma – For our ‘old friends’ we always seem to run into

Top Guild: Starfleet Dental (Trolling recruitment videos ftw!)

WTB Keg Brawl in Custom PVP → Key Brawl Tourneys!

(edited by Thurbleton.5841)

in WvW

Posted by: Fraeg.9837

Fraeg.9837

Tallon Zek, some great pvpers.
Morgan Le Fay is pretty good as well
Blackrock for their crazy Aussie presence

Wyverz – Asura – Mesmer
Xynobia – Asura – Necro
|Gnaw| |BB| |dO| |SOUL| – NSP

in WvW

Posted by: Snapple.9251

Snapple.9251

My top 3 Eu from a Desolation player’s perspective.

3. Far Shiverpeaks – Can’t forget how they managed to stay in T1 for so long even while being punished at night-times. Shame about their eventual fall in the rankings, and they didn’t go down without a certain amount of forum-whining from a few. Big respect though.

2. Blacktide – Always a nice mannered server and fun to play against. They did a good job countering night-capping with morning-capping and have a number of good strong guilds (even before a number of Far Shiverpeaks guilds transferred over).

1. Vizunah Square – For obvious reasons. As fun as it is to bash on the French (as a Brit) you have to respect their dominance of the Eu ladder.

[IRON] – SoR
Snappless / Osii

in WvW

Posted by: GrandmaFunk.3052

GrandmaFunk.3052

My vote also goes to Yak’s Bend.

always classy, always great battles.

GamersWithJobs [GWJ]
Northern Shiverpeaks

in WvW

Posted by: endeavor.7530

endeavor.7530

Coming from GoM from the very start; I really enjoyed fighting Anvil Rock but now, my favorite enemy is HoD. It was hilarious when HoD was defending the inner castle and Gate of Madness just went around and surrounded them from behind (Thanks to Guardian for leading that on an alt…under cover commander there).

Server: Fort Aspenwood
Main: Endeavorr

in WvW

Posted by: Ryan.6951

Ryan.6951

As a dragonbrander in NA I have my share of night fighting with the Taiwanese Tsunami as well as plenty of helm’s deep fights during the daytime where I’m bound to lose but manning the ballistie or carts might help eke out those extra 2 minutes until a score tallies….

Maguuma. They have a few troll guilds who /wave and then 5v1 solo pve’ers in the JP (seriously starfleet dental? I thought you were better than that) but for the most part they fight with honor and fight hard. Not many guilds will have the intestinal fortitude to man an overnight zerg in the hopes of repelling NNK TFV CCR etc but Maguuma might the only server who did so successfully and it won them the week.

(edited by Ryan.6951)

in WvW

Posted by: Prosecutor.1457

Prosecutor.1457

My vote goes to NSP. Always had a fun time against time when I was leading [SE] in Darkhaven.

Prosecute, lvl 80 Guardian
Leader of Side Effect, [SE]
Tarnished Coast

in WvW

Posted by: BMW.2951

BMW.2951

My favorite opponent of 2012 would have to be TC. Even though Blackgate has only fought them for alittle over a week now, they are very friendly on the forums and never give up even if they are outnumbered.

SoR’s NA has my respect also. Choo, CDS, TW, TWL, and many others im forgetting. I admit… you guys have better N/A than Blackgate, very strong and very awesome fights! Keep up the good work.

Character- [KnT] Masta Yodaa
Asura Thief
Server- Beastgate

in WvW

Posted by: Jivex.6285

Jivex.6285

As a Player on Riverside I have to say “Piken Square” for sure
Really great fights, friendly and skilled guilds, high spirit —> just fun to fight against you
Hope to meet you again soon.

-Riverside-

(edited by Jivex.6285)

in WvW

Posted by: shagworth.5017

shagworth.5017

Maguuman here. It’s a toss up between Darkhaven and Fort Aspenwood. Darkhaven because we’ve had some kitten close matches with you, plus the guys that I talked to at our Fight Clubs were cool as kitten. Aspenwood, because because they were larger than us, but they still used tactics instead of zerging and auto attacking doors down like Crystal Desert and Sea of Sorrows.

Dragonbrand gets honorable mention.

in WvW

Jayne.9251

A day and a half left to vote! Make sure yours counts!

in WvW

Posted by: Sinergy.6374

Sinergy.6374

I would like to nominate maguuma. They are like rampaging elephants and always give a good fight. Followed by a close second of FA the friendliest enemies you will ever meet.

in WvW

Posted by: Sinergy.6374

Sinergy.6374

I’m from CD btw

in WvW

Posted by: Le Rooster.8715

Le Rooster.8715

Maguuman here. It’s a toss up between Darkhaven and Fort Aspenwood. Darkhaven because we’ve had some kitten close matches with you, plus the guys that I talked to at our Fight Clubs were cool as kitten. Aspenwood, because because they were larger than us, but they still used tactics instead of zerging and auto attacking doors down like Crystal Desert and Sea of Sorrows.

Dragonbrand gets honorable mention.

And that’s why we haven’t lost in 11 weeks right? because we don’t use tactics, anyways i would like to re-vote if that’s possible take my vote towards Sanctum of Rall they have the lowest population out of tier 1 ,2 and the majority of tier 3 yet they fight with such tenacity and dedication.

Roosters Inc-Team Shatter [TS] Commander
Sea of Sorrows http://www.gw2sos.com/index.php

in WvW

Posted by: Elcyion.7452

Elcyion.7452

Fort Aspenwood not zerg only…so they get my vote…
Most borring Sea of Sorrows 2.0
Most annoying Ebay for sure due to theyr forum whining
Most memorable match up probably FA-SoS 1.0

Swedish Insomniac
Server: Maguuma Guild: (iRez)
Night-Morning-Midday Crew WvW

in WvW

Posted by: Besetment.9187

Besetment.9187

You’ll have to excuse some of the Mags players who comment on SoS. That week when we played SoS 2.0 is impossible to take the numbers advantage out of the equation because SoS 2.0 was so vastly bigger than us at all times of day. Its hard to describe that situation unless you’ve been in it – something like 300,000 points down by Tuesday with no hope of holding anything for more than 12 hours and getting spawn camped by 4 or 5 times our numbers.

FA didn’t have a numbers advantage to that extent. At times we saw them get creative with far less players than was required to win comfortably.

I have played with SBI against SoS 2.0 in tier 1 but the dynamic was very different. Population and coverage was much more even so tactics and organization played a more pivotal role in the outcome of the match. SoS 2.0 in my mind was at that point the most structured server in tier 1. PRX was the guild I really feared the most from an organizational perspective as there was never an instance where they did not walk yalks, guard supply camps and post sentries. You really couldn’t ninja anything from them. The “stealth” in stealth ops was largely irrelevant because you had to assume they knew what you were doing at all times. You just had to execute it better and faster. But then PRX leaves SoS and you guys are doing better than ever so who knows if that really mattered in the first place…

(edited by Besetment.9187)

in WvW

Posted by: Phantom.8130

Phantom.8130

yak’s bend. they feisty. i like ‘em feisty. they were also respectful and honorable. what other server gave back not one, but 2 orbs after a hacker stole them? that’s pretty classy, in my book. they were also pretty tenacious, never giving up despite having fewer numbers. my favorite moment came when they were trebbing one of our towers. we took down their treb, and not 5 minutes later, it was back up and firing at us again. we took it down again, they put it up again. that sort of “never say die” attitude earned them a lot of respect.

i also like the challenges that blackgate and sanctum of rall provide. during the first time we went against each of them as they were rising up the ranks, they stomped our faces in. as such, we had to adjust our tactics, learn and improve. now that we’re going against them both again, they’re kind of like our measuring stick, and so far, i’m really happy with how we’re holding up against them.

in WvW

Posted by: Ray.2640

Ray.2640

I think Gunnars Hold.
I haven’t fought many more servers then FoW and Vabbi, and the occasional Dzagonur, Underworld or Drakkar Lake.
But still the best fights I’ve had were either with GH or in the group with them.

Happy New year!

in WvW

Posted by: Kellnor.5428

Kellnor.5428

Gotta say, it’s close between a couple.

Tarnished Coast is a contender for pulling up from the bottom of the totem pull (and being “RP” server at same time),

Eredon Terrace, for the great fights we had with them back at launch, although they unfortunately fell apart,

But my vote goes to SoS. I’m a hardcore JQ commander and WvW junkie, but SoS has given us the best fight to date. They still havent (and wont) kick us out of t1 but its been wonderful fighting a server with similar tactics and conviction to Jade Quarry.

APART from their impressive WvW record, 1 of their prominent commanders contacted me with questions about JQ and more of who the faces between the wvw monsters were and I was incredibly impressed with his courtesy and dignity, he even went so far as to post in support of one of our forum-based recruiting campaigns! I dont care who you are, thats gotta earn some major respect points in anyones book.

So props SoS, I may hate you guys on the battlefield (and relish taking your toys and eating your golems) but at the end of the day, I’ve got a lot of respect for your WvW record, and community as a whole.

Commander Kell Swiftfire, Jade Quarry
Co-Leader & Defensive Strategist of Empërium [EMP]

in WvW

Posted by: Gankfest.4965

Gankfest.4965

Titan Alliance on HoD… Only people that gave me a run for my money. I just hated playing with TL tho…

Gankfest™ ~ <PRX> ~ JQ
80 ~ Thief/Guardian

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Just a reminder that if you changed your vote at any time in this thread to go back and edit your first post — I’ll only be counting the first post vote you made.

Also, only 5 more hours until voting closes! So make your vote count! I’ll be tallying the votes after the polls close at noon EST today and will announce the overall winner later in the day.

But I’d like to think we’re all winners here, with so many sincere compliments by players to their opponents.

in WvW

Posted by: Erinshaw.8035

Erinshaw.8035

TC gets my vote They whipped us yaks badly but the weeks we played was what we aspire to be. We fought and respected each other in the forums. No sulking No QQ I never fought so hard and long for 3 weeks.

The Older Gamers (TOG) wvw guild leader

in WvW

Posted by: Usagi.4835

Usagi.4835

Tarnished Yaks; I really do respect YB. Especially after that incident with the Bay with a mesmer portal exploit, I’m grateful for the way that was handled and how we were able to sort that out in a mature way. I love YB so my vote goes to them

Commander Chocolate Teapot | Prettier than you | Forum damsel in distress

in WvW

Posted by: BlackeHawke.9025

BlackeHawke.9025

Blackgate. Just because of the awesome fights we had against their guilds <3

Guild Leader of Hired Assassins [HIRE]
Sanctum of Rall
Level 80 Human Guardian

in WvW

Posted by: Lanimal.6541

Lanimal.6541

I was going to vote for Yaks Best as I have a lot of respect for them when we were fighting them in Tier 3 (TC here) but I am surprised by the lack of love given to Blackgate.

My vote goes to Blackgate simply because when they were on the rise we TC learnt a LOT from them and even these past week and a half are still learning. Guilds like HB and ICOA are amazing to fight against.

Theongreyjoy
[VoTF] www.votf.net

in WvW

Jayne.9251

Ok folks, the voting is now closed. Thanks so much for putting in your comments and votes for your opponents. Results shortly!

Happy New Year everyone!

in WvW

Posted by: Sol.4317

Sol.4317

I’m from Yaks Bend at its awesome to see the love showwing. We have had some incredible opponents the last few months. One match up however still holds in my mind. Early in the opening of the week long battles we ran into SoR and NSP. That battle was tough. It was a close as you could get. Everyone involved had no idea who was going to win it. props to everyone involved there.
TC I hope your rise continues. You guys have skills. We may have petered off by the end of our 3rd week in that matching but those that stayed in the fight hold some healthy respect for you guys and we WILL be knockin down your doors again one day.
My vote however goes to a more recent matchup. Maguuma has been a treat. So much fun to fight against them. The Grub was frickin hilarious. You guys have made it a great fight the last couple of weeks in T4.

Alfric the Wolf
Guild-Obsidian Fear
Level 80 Warrior