Anybody able to access the EotM map?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: The Ice Mage.4879

The Ice Mage.4879

Hey all. I know you’ve all seen the new build, but the team hasn’t opened up the map just yet. I will update here when it’s been opened up. Just a little more patience, please

Nope, open it now. Pl0x!! :P

Leave the forums… just leave… please to save everyone the trouble of having to read this.

I would like to be optimistic and say they were being a mite sarcastic. The :P kinda gives it away.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Dark Magi.8947

Dark Magi.8947

<p>REMEMBER YOU NEED TO USE THE Semicolon ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

l sorry just trying to lighten the mood </P>

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

If i had to make a blind guess I’d say ~32 min (the current time remaining on the match up) or less.

Edit: Then it went to 0 sec for me in a split sec and said I needed to check my internet connection before going back to 31min…

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

Everyone stop raging about The Edge of the Mists map being down, you dont know how hard anet is truely working on it and should give them credit for even trying. they do not have to do so at all. it will be up when it is up, stop crying about it.

And yet in my profession, no matter “how hard you try”, at the end of the day if you have a bad outcome that was entirely preventable on your part, you are usually on the receiving end of a 6-7 figure lawsuit.

We are consumers of a product who have paid, and continue to pay, hard-earned money for working and functional content. The release success rate of these pieces of content are unacceptably low, usually causing high degrees of collateral damage to other aspects of the game, and simply represent rushed timelines in the interest of maximizing quarterly earnings.

I’m tired of being abused by company executives who are banking on this bizarre notion in gaming that completely unusable content is somehow acceptable as long as “it’s eventually fixed”.

Look buddy, if you have a problem with it, fix it yourself or just let them do it as best they can. Anet has been hard at work on alot of content, they do not have to put out another living story and they could just shut down GW2 entirely if they felt like it.

Fix it myself? Are you unaware as to how a basic economy is designed to function?

Let me clarify. I don’t care how hard they work, I care about results. I work 8-12 hour workdays with periodic 20-30 hour overnight calls for which I am paid to do my job well and obtain good results. Working hard is a basic prerequisite to obtaining consistently good results, not the end metric by which I am assessed. I then use this money that I earn in part to pay Anet with the expectation that they will do their job well.

The 2nd half of this agreement is consistently failing. This is not an isolated incident, it is yet another chain in a repeat of incidents that has happened with every major content update, since and including, release.

You paid for what you got; Guild Wars 2. Now, they’re giving you free extra content with even a monthly fee. Even expansions for most games have to be bought. But not here. If their gifts to us aren’t working properly at first, it isn’t our place to say that we’re not getting what we paid for. We already got that. We should try to be supportive of the efforts ANet put into Guild Wars 2 to keep us interested instead of leaving the game to die, which would simply be giving us what we paid for until we got bored and left on our own. Be thankful for the Living Story and ANet’s hard work instead of giving nonconstructive criticism that does nothing to further the situation.

in The Edge of the Mists

The Ice Mage.4879

<p>REMEMBER YOU NEED TO USE THE Semicolon ;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

What? Admittedly I’m a bit tired atm, but really I don’t see the joke assuming it was one. o.o Who was this directed at, or was it kinda just an undirected comment so to speak?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Sages.3496

Sages.3496

What? Admittedly I’m a bit tired atm, but really I don’t see the joke assuming it was one. o.o Who was this directed at, or was it kinda just an undirected comment so to speak?

Random posts make the world go round, thats the best part of the forums.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Wallace MacBix.2089

Wallace MacBix.2089

Everyone stop raging about The Edge of the Mists map being down, you dont know how hard anet is truely working on it and should give them credit for even trying. they do not have to do so at all. it will be up when it is up, stop crying about it.

And yet in my profession, no matter “how hard you try”, at the end of the day if you have a bad outcome that was entirely preventable on your part, you are usually on the receiving end of a 6-7 figure lawsuit.

We are consumers of a product who have paid, and continue to pay, hard-earned money for working and functional content. The release success rate of these pieces of content are unacceptably low, usually causing high degrees of collateral damage to other aspects of the game, and simply represent rushed timelines in the interest of maximizing quarterly earnings.

I’m tired of being abused by company executives who are banking on this bizarre notion in gaming that completely unusable content is somehow acceptable as long as “it’s eventually fixed”.

Look buddy, if you have a problem with it, fix it yourself or just let them do it as best they can. Anet has been hard at work on alot of content, they do not have to put out another living story and they could just shut down GW2 entirely if they felt like it.

Fix it myself? Are you unaware as to how a basic economy is designed to function?

Let me clarify. I don’t care how hard they work, I care about results. I work 8-12 hour workdays with periodic 20-30 hour overnight calls for which I am paid to do my job well and obtain good results. Working hard is a basic prerequisite to obtaining consistently good results, not the end metric by which I am assessed. I then use this money that I earn in part to pay Anet with the expectation that they will do their job well.

The 2nd half of this agreement is consistently failing. This is not an isolated incident, it is yet another chain in a repeat of incidents that has happened with every major content update, since and including, release.

You paid for what you got; Guild Wars 2. Now, they’re giving you free extra content with even a monthly fee. Even expansions for most games have to be bought. But not here. If their gifts to us aren’t working properly at first, it isn’t our place to say that we’re not getting what we paid for. We already got that. We should try to be supportive of the efforts ANet put into Guild Wars 2 to keep us interested instead of leaving the game to die, which would simply be giving us what we paid for until we got bored and left on our own. Be thankful for the Living Story and ANet’s hard work instead of giving nonconstructive criticism that does nothing to further the situation.

Agreed. Does it suck that everything doesn’t work perfectly at launch, yeah. But still, I’d much rather have this system. If this was a pay per month game I never would have bought it (despite loving gw1). Besides the dev team is usually pretty fast in fixing any major bugs.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Emrys.8130

Emrys.8130

Tis Up! Tis Up! Tis Up!

http://orderofthegrey.com
Small, skilled, supportive: “The Way Is Clear.”

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Killdeer.7391

Killdeer.7391

Bahhhhaaa my hopes dashed. soon I have to make a trip in real life, fighting ice and snow, so will need rest. Was hoping to enjoy a day of new content. Instead I will have to wait until I return.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: deathTouch.9706

deathTouch.9706

The living story content and accompanying microtransaction content actually nets companies more per player, on average, than a subscription-based service, which is why almost every major publisher has incorporated microtransactions into their payment schemes. I’d be happy to pull the literature and studies that were done on that if you want.

So I’m not sure why you think this content is “free” or are “gifts”. In fact it’s done because executives at NCsoft have figured out it’s the most efficient way possible to extract money out of the playerbase, mainly because people are unable or unwilling to track how much money they spend on microtransactions on a monthly or yearly basis compared to a recurring subscription.

V deathTouch V – Warrior
STD [Scarlet Gave Me Harpies]
Maguuma

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Killdeer.7391

Killdeer.7391

YEsssss I am in. Hope others are making it also.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: bwillb.2165

bwillb.2165

For people saying they should have a public testing server – no thanks, you just get everyone trying to play in the testing server so they can experience new content first which means nobody is actually playing the current content and the game sort of dies as a result.

We know this to be untrue because plenty of MMOs have a testing server that manages to avoid killing off their audience on the live content. I’m fine with the down time on EotM – we were warned about it prior to the launch and problems were unforeseen. I still think there is merit in the argument that more robust testing prior to today would have been beneficial. Perhaps they could have had an open beta weekend of EotM a week or two ago where EotM could temporarily be available for everyone to try out. Testing in a live environment before the official launch. It would lower expectations of players (the LFG tool is still in beta btw) and it would avoid patch day disappointments and awkward unresolved story progression.

Having played other MMO’s with public testing servers I have to respectfully disagree, but you are of course entitled to that opinion.

The problem with having an open beta test weekend of EoTM is that the exact same thing would have happened. It wouldn’t have worked properly and then people would have complained about it not working and Anet not doing their job – regardless of the beta tag. We’ve seen examples of this constantly with how much people complain about things that are being tested “LFG tool” and even things that haven’t been released yet.

The public test would allow the large-scale problems to be ironed out in an insulated environment, though. Such as if an update caused data corruption when it failed, or caused massive economy destabilization. That likely wouldn’t be caught on a small private test, and I’d much rather have it come out on a public test realm than on the main servers.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Cactus.2710

Cactus.2710

I don’t think it was a random jibe. The semicolon is required at the end of C/C++ source code statements. Forgetting to include one is a common error and I suspect he’s just comically pointing it out … although of course leaving out a semicolon usually means you don’t get past the compiler.

D/D Thief who prefers mobility to stealth … so yeah, I die a lot
Stormbluff Isle [AoD]

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

As you may have already figured out, WvW and Edge of the Mists are now open. Go forth and enjoy. And again, sorry for the inconvenience this delay may have caused you and your plans.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Sages.3496

Sages.3496

The living story content and accompanying microtransaction content actually nets companies more per player, on average, than a subscription-based service, which is why almost every major publisher has incorporated microtransactions into their payment schemes. I’d be happy to pull the literature and studies that were done on that if you want.

So I’m not sure why you think this content is “free” or are “gifts”. In fact it’s done because executives at NCsoft have figured out it’s the most efficient way possible to extract money out of the playerbase, mainly because people are unable or unwilling to track how much money they spend on microtransactions on a monthly or yearly basis compared to a recurring subscription.

Death do yourself a favor, stop posting.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

Ah, I’m sorry, I didn’t realize that you were forced to pay micro transactions, or that those purchases got you nothing. Ah, that was sarcasm, since it’s hard to convey in text. You bought skins or minis or whatnot with micro transactions, still getting what you pay for. Living World, however, does not force you to pay anything, thus it is free. It helps the company get more players? Well, no kitten, yet it works because it’s free and appealing. It’s a plan by the company to make more profit? I don’t care. I’m not being robbed of my cash, nor am I forced to pay to use it. Again, free. You get what you pay for, and more. I didn’t read a thing before release about Living World updates. I bought the game, got what I wanted, and ANet went and kept giving. Insulting them for giving you more than you paid for is spoilt. Doesn’t work at once? No big deal, you did not pay for it to begin with. You can go do things you did pay for if you want; dungeons, personal story, etc.

in The Edge of the Mists

The Ice Mage.4879

I don’t think it was a random jibe. The semicolon is required at the end of C/C++ source code statements. Forgetting to include one is a common error and I suspect he’s just comically pointing it out … although of course leaving out a semicolon usually means you don’t get past the compiler.

Lol, oh that makes sense. I was actually discussing this w/ an old in-game friend now haha…I’m in third year of a games dev course and on cooperative placement now. I did think it might be programming stuff when I was talking with my friend. Indeed a lot of languages use semicolon to terminate statements Java & PHP to name but two unmentioned.

Back On Topic~
Glad to see EotM didn’t take long to come online after the update. Unfortunately I can’t really play much more right now but at least I had a look through a good bit of the story content.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Makes you wonder what kind of problems we’d all be having if they hadn’t taken the extra time to “ensure the last four patches are as polished as possible”, huh?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: moonboy.1069

moonboy.1069

Yeah nometter what I say to Deathtouch the devs will add another infraction point, but people look at the bright side. It is back and it Works Edge of the Mists is a great alternate area for WvW and great for people to learn how to do wvw by experience which carries over to the main WvW world space. Thanks anet for a quick fix I thought this would take weeks to fix but I was wrong. Grats on a swift fix.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Bragdras.9572

Bragdras.9572

I’m still unable to access edge of the mists:

“World vs. World is unavailable while matches are being updated. Please try again in a few minutes. (code=1068:9:17:5068:101)”

Has been the error message since after the scheduled wvw downtime ended, roughly.

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Jocksy.3415

Jocksy.3415

I’m still unable to access edge of the mists:

“World vs. World is unavailable while matches are being updated. Please try again in a few minutes. (code=1068:9:17:5068:101)”

Has been the error message since after the scheduled wvw downtime ended, roughly.

and you made the update?

in The Edge of the Mists

Posted by: Dark Magi.8947

Dark Magi.8947

It more or less a programmer joke. Some get it some don’t.

seeing as most statements usually end with a semicolon give or take some exceptions. Any way who enjoying the map? what you like about it what you dislike?