Concerned about Captain's airship passes.

in Battle for Lion’s Arch - Aftermath

Posted by: Majic.4801

Majic.4801

Like I said loading screens are a hassle, I sometimes get over a minute in a loading screen.

Every map has a loading screen, but I can understand and don’t disagree that if you are used to being able to do everything in one place (such as Lion’s Arch), you shouldn’t have to go to another map for it or pay for the privilege.

Other capital cities do have crafting stations, but are not Asura gate hubs, so unless Vigil’s Keep provides all the same services Lion’s Arch did, then it does represent a downgrade, and casts reasonable doubt on ArenaNet’s motives if it is not an oversight.

So here’s hoping it is an oversight and not an unseemly money grab.

“Not the same, real and true. True you feel inside.
Always follow what is true.” — Sentry-skritt Bordekka

Posted by: StanleyJohny.8047

StanleyJohny.8047

There are other cities that have the crafting tables and such…

I dont care about the other cities. It is all about that Mark Katzbach says that we can find EVERYTHING there (in Vigil Keep). It doesnt looks like we can…

Before patch
LA = Services including crafting
Adter patch
VK = Services without crafting
Mark says
LA = VK
I dont think so ?

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

Going to state my opinion.

the whole point of LA was to have a central hub for players.

So taking it away and giving me the option of “convenience” by only getting gems is disheartening as something that the game provided, is now no longer being provided, which was convenience.

Posted by: FlamingFoxx.1305

FlamingFoxx.1305

You can have the EXACT same experience that you had in LA in any of the Racial capitals. The have the exact same services – often more central to one another – and load quicker than LA. The only thing they do not have is the Mystic Toilet. But how often do you need to use that?

Majic.4801

You can have the EXACT same experience that you had in LA in any of the Racial capitals. The have the exact same services – often more central to one another – and load quicker than LA. The only thing they do not have is the Mystic Toilet. But how often do you need to use that?

Lion’s Arch was also the transport hub for free Asura gate travel between cities, which is a key point. The new hub lacks services the previous hub provided, but for a “small fee” you can have what Lion’s Arch used to offer for free.

Therein lies the rub.

Posted by: Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Mad Queen Malafide.7512

Other capital cities do have crafting stations, but are not Asura gate hubs, so unless Vigil’s Keep provides all the same services Lion’s Arch did, then it does represent a downgrade, and casts reasonable doubt on ArenaNet’s motives if it is not an oversight.

I think the main reason that they’ve started to introduce these special tickets, is to provide special account deals for players in countries with special rules. If I’m not mistaken, a certain very large country to the east has some special rules regarding MMO’s. I don’t think they’re allowed to be free-to-play, and they require special account deals, such as special passes. Please correct me if I’m wrong, but it would not surprise me if this is simply something added to offer a neat benefit for players willing to spend an extra buck, and to fulfill obligated rules in other countries where GW2 is now being released.

Or it could be completely unrelated, and just the former.

“Madness is just another way to view reality”
(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-On3Ya0_4Y)

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

I’ve always used Hoelbrak. I don’t use the mystic toilet much, and everything else is laid out fairly nice. I always found LA noisy and laggy.

I do understand there being some annoyance with the fall of LA, and it does look like ANet is being a tad greedy with no crafting stations at the Vigil. But the game is quite playable; if no one buys the airship pass, then ANet will have learned its lesson.

Posted by: Lord Kuru.3685

Lord Kuru.3685

Didn’t Plants vs Zombies 2 recently have a huge controversy where they removed a feature from the game (lawnmowers) and brought it back for only those who paid?

Pretty much the same thing here.

(In the end, the outrage caused EA to roll back the lawnmower change.)

Posted by: Mark Katzbach

Previous

Mark Katzbach

Content Marketing Manager

Next

Sorry everybody, I was wrong earlier.

The crafting stations did not get moved to Vigil’s Keep. However, you can travel directly from Vigil’s Keep to one of the other cities of Tyria at no cost via asura gate travel, all of which have crafting stations.

Lord Kuru.3685

The crafting stations did not get moved to Vigil’s Keep. However, you can travel directly from Vigil’s Keep to one of the other cities of Tyria at no cost via asura gate travel, all of which have crafting stations.

You could do that in the old Lion’s Arch. So in the end, a feature was taken away and only brought back for those who pay. Didn’t Plants vs Zombies 2 do that recently as well? I believe they received quite the backlash.

Posted by: Liston.9708

Liston.9708

And what will wvw community say if there are ques while people craft?

YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→YB→most likely YB

Posted by: cainejw.7142

cainejw.7142

And what’s the reason these items were moved behind a fee service? You’ve made a concerted effort to take items that were available and move them to either pay money or gold. Why?

I think this is one of those times where you guys really need to explain yourselves and why you chose to remove access to these without going to other cities. Saying, “You can go elsewhere” is also not a good reason. What changed between yesterday and today that demands Lion Arch and the Vigil no longer have access to crafting unless you leave the zone or pay money?

Posted by: Fernling.1729

Fernling.1729

Creating additional inconveniences to make a quick buck is really bad imo. But, what do I know, I just complain all the time.

Posted by: Rassase.7943

Rassase.7943

Oh people come on, stop being so cheap and kitteny
I already have 2 airship passes that random droped and you can go www for stupid crafting or visit your home town for a change.
Great patch anet!

Posted by: Nikked.7365

Nikked.7365

Saying, “You can go elsewhere” is also not a good reason. What changed between yesterday and today that demands Lion Arch and the Vigil no longer have access to crafting unless you leave the zone or pay money?

You’re playing a game that has highly publicized it’s Living Story efforts. In game and in real life, wars happen, and we have little say in the matter. So we deal with with the inconveniences or pay a high price to get around them.

Sounds pretty dynamic to me.

Jacked Jackal :: Norn Mesmer :: Giant and Fabulous
Dragonbrand

Posted by: Erick Alastor.3917

Erick Alastor.3917

What changed between yesterday and today that demands Lion Arch and the Vigil no longer have access to crafting unless you leave the zone or pay money?

Clearly the owners of the crafting stations in LA died while trying to escape…
Nothing to do with the new item on the bltc. You should not backbiting. U_U

“Otherwise, your MMO becomes all about grinding to get the best gear. We don’t make grindy games.”
- Mike Obrien

Posted by: DeWolfe.2174

DeWolfe.2174

If you enter WvW, your main server BL has a TP, Merchants, Laurel Merchant, and even Crafting Stations. It’s convenient to get there and free to travel.

All your Evon love is one thing, but THIS… this I’d so down vote you for if it was possible. Sure, that’s all WvW needs is everyone standing around the Citadel crafting and not participating.

PLEASE, do not take up the limited WvW map population unless you intend to work! Unless you are on Black Gate, then it’s totally ok

[AwM] of Jade Quarry.

Posted by: cainejw.7142

cainejw.7142

Saying, “You can go elsewhere” is also not a good reason. What changed between yesterday and today that demands Lion Arch and the Vigil no longer have access to crafting unless you leave the zone or pay money?

You’re playing a game that has highly publicized it’s Living Story efforts. In game and in real life, wars happen, and we have little say in the matter. So we deal with with the inconveniences or pay a high price to get around them.

Sounds pretty dynamic to me.

Sorry, but “change happens, deal with it,” is not a valid reason to put crafting tables behind a paywall. I don’t mean to be difficult on this, but they’ve actually decided that people need to pay or go somewhere else to do the exact thing they could do just this morning. It is silly to not explain the rationale.

Maybe they just want to make more money. Maybe Nexon and their lackey want more money so they’re going to put obstacles up wherever possible. Maybe ANet has lost all sight of what GW2 was supposed to be in the Spaceballs-esque adventure for more money.

Maybe they want people to fan out more (which is silly considering the event’s location in LA alone). Whatever it is, Anet really does have to explain this one. Of course, they really won’t. They will ignore it like they did the pickaxe and cash in. Fans will defend them to any and all ends of the Earth. Detractors will slam them. In the meanwhile, some insight into what the developers are doing with this game will be completely lost.

But in the end, I’m disappointed in their decision. I can buy a pass. I’ve bought $200 worth of gems in the last month because I wanted to. However, I really struggle with the idea of paying money for the exact same features I could use this morning that are in the zone right now.

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

Unless you’re planning on crafting a bunch of stuff and then shoving it down the mystic toilet there’s no reason to craft in the Vigil Keep (or LA) instead of one of the other cities… Either way, Rata Sum and The Grove were both much more convenient with using the TP + Crafting stations than LA ever was.

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

Lord Kuru.3685

You don’t have to have WPs either since you can walk everywhere. Let’s put that behind a paywall as well. Just say that Evon Gnashblade needs the money because his treasure stash got destroyed in LA — as long as there’s a story reason, it’s ok, right?

Posted by: displacedTitan.6897

displacedTitan.6897

I like how this thread is basically the same five people who always cry, crying. The more things change, the more they stay the same I guess.

I dont see anyone complaining that all the asura gates are now closer to each other which SAVES you time.

What again is locked behind this paywall? Stuff available for free all over the game world?

Posted by: Davroth.4186

Davroth.4186

Yeah I’m sorry but you guys are being ridiculous. You might as well complain about every piece in the gem store while you are at it. Oh geez, I have to use a waypoint between crafting and throwing crap into the mystic forge, how inconvenient. Crafting tables are still all over the place, so are banks, and guild traders, too. Do you honestly think your whining will accomplish anything?

I for one really welcome that I can now load into a fractal without waiting for 10+ minutes for LA to load beforehand. Spreading this stuff out is a great move for me personally, and will save me a ton of time.

So there. Now you guys can proceed with your ineffectual outrage.

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

Anet is ~~FORCING~~ me to get out of LA to do stuff...

THE HORROR

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

That is not convenient, as I stated there are loading screens. You have removed convenience and functionality from the players and put it behind a paywall.

Please explain why they were not moved to Vigils Keep.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Sorry, but “change happens, deal with it,” is not a valid reason to put crafting tables behind a paywall.

Oh, wow, look, they moved the crafting stations in Divinity’s Reach, Hoelbrak, Queensdale, Wayfarer’s Foothills, Rata Sum, Metrica Province, The Grove, Caledon Forest, Black Citadel, and Plains of Ashford . . . not to mention the ones in the WvW Citadel.

All of them are now gone behind a paywall . . . oh, wait, no. I’m wrong They’re still where they always were.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: Savoy.6824

Savoy.6824

Its a pain if you like to craft and use the mystic forge to make money. It forces us to zone extra and if you have a medium to slow internet connection that takes more time. How about you guys go and add the crafting stations at the vigil keep instead of trying to get us to buy that airship pass.

And we should consider every day lost on which we have not danced at least once – Nietzsche

Posted by: Minos.5168

Minos.5168

I’d hope that Vigil’s Keep retains all of these additions once Lion’s Arch is rebuilt.

In fact, it’d be nice if Duramond Priory and the Chantry of Secrets gained all of this as well.

Make them all hubs.

Posted by: Ranger Hussy.9523

Ranger Hussy.9523

the patch itself is fun so far but this using a gem store item to add a function of the game that was free to something to be paid for isn’t so cool, ask the folks who play aion, if they do it with la and get away with it what makes you think that it will stop there

Guild {PPP} Guild Leader

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Sorry, but “change happens, deal with it,” is not a valid reason to put crafting tables behind a paywall.

Oh, wow, look, they moved the crafting stations in Divinity’s Reach, Hoelbrak, Queensdale, Wayfarer’s Foothills, Rata Sum, Metrica Province, The Grove, Caledon Forest, Black Citadel, and Plains of Ashford . . . not to mention the ones in the WvW Citadel.

All of them are now gone behind a paywall . . . oh, wait, no. I’m wrong They’re still where they always were.

Exactly. They were always there. So were Lion’s Arch… oh wait!

What next? Catastrophe in WvW! Scarlet hit the citidel with her endless hoard of minions! Need to pay 1000 gems for some special mist dust to goto the special mist area to use the facilities in WvW!

Hey frog in the pot of water. Is the water hot enough for you yet? …No? Alright. Carry on being boiled to death.

(edited by Azure Prower.8701)

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

That’s an awful lot of effort though, sir. Can’t you just clone a Mystic Forge and set it in the Grove now? So I can make it my own little Lions Arch finally?

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Posted by: Lévis.5489

Lévis.5489

There is everything at the Vigil Keep, except crafters. I have to go to other cities to craft things. It’s annoying.

Posted by: Adhal.3187

Adhal.3187

This game nickels and dimes on so much stuff they should have just went subscription…

Posted by: Spiuk.8421

Spiuk.8421

What next? Catastrophe in WvW! Scarlet hit the citidel with her endless hoard of minions! Need to pay 1000 gems for some special mist dust to goto the special mist area to use the facilities in WvW!

Hey frog in the pot of water. Is the water hot enough for you yet? …No? Alright. Carry on being boiled to death.

Because everyone knows that slippery slope is a compelling argument.

Rubios – Tales of the Sunless [TXS]

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Hey, you want to keep jumping to conclusions and playing Chicken Little over this, that’s fine with me. Throw all the insulting insinuations you like, but there is nothing stopping you from going to craft elsewhere. Ebonhawke is one nice hub for it, so is Divinity’s Reach.

Except, of course, for bemoaning the Living Story actually doing something which impacts the world . . . after people belittled it for ages for not doing anything other than just doing minor events in a few places. They kicked it up a notch.

And people said LA was getting to be too much of a hub and the home racial cities needed some love. Hey, how about that traffic you could be making to go there now? No, that’s not what you meant? Careful what you ask for then.

You want to know where to craft in Lion’s Arch. Four weeks. Until then, go “home” and do it in the comfort of knowing it’s still the best place for you to do your work. Except for Rata Sum, because asura are terrible terrible things and need to die.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

If it was only 1 thing you would have a point but its not.

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

Posted by: Azure Prower.8701

Azure Prower.8701

Except when it’s proven to be true.

They’re just seeing what they can get away with until players cry foul.

Of course when you heat up the water little by little. It’s not as noticeable to those not aware.

Posted by: KotCR.6024

KotCR.6024

I have to admit; This does seem awfully suspicious what with the release of a ticket in the gem store which enables life-time access to a convenience we already had with LA before.

Now if I want to combine regular crafting with mystic forge crafting I’m going to have to run between two zones, and with that comes loading times each time I switch between the activities, of a minute or more.

The slippery slope argument is starting to seem more and more compelling all the time…

I do try to use Borderlands anyway, but sometimes it’s full or an opponent holds our keep, and as others have mentioned, I’m beginning to be worried that this might be taken away in favour of a paid pass aswell.

(edited by KotCR.6024)

Posted by: mrstealth.6701

mrstealth.6701

Except, of course, for bemoaning the Living Story actually doing something which impacts the world . . . after people belittled it for ages for not doing anything other than just doing minor events in a few places. They kicked it up a notch.

I don’t see anyone complaining about that. And sticking the crafting and profession trainers behind a pay wall has nothing to do with world impact. The impact this update/living story had on the world would be the same if those services where in Vigil Keep instead of the adjacent, pay-walled airship.

Forcing players to other areas to do the same things we’ve always done in LA has no impact on the game or story. It’s just displacing and spreading people around with no reason or benefit, and creating an inconvenience.

Footsteps Of War [FoW] | Yak’s Bend
Seer Of The Divine | Sarina Starlight | Tireasa | Caedyra

Posted by: Steel Fenrir.2791

Steel Fenrir.2791

Could you make this a personalized instance, like the home instances, since if this gets more popular, then the airship could get too crowded at prime time hours. That or could you make it bigger, maybe use the same model of The Glory of Tyria ? I personally think this instance is cool. Maybe this could pave the way for new lands (and seas and skies) to explore? Isle of Balthazar and Cantha perhaps, or even the mysterious western continent where humans have been said to originate?

Posted by: skepticck.9714

skepticck.9714

It doesn’t really bother me, i ‘m not always crafting anyway so it’s a minor inconvenience and they do have to make some money if we want to keep getting content,
but it’s obvious that they did this to “encourage” people to buy the pass.

Posted by: Frotee.2634

Frotee.2634

Seriously people, why are you even angry about this? You can do everything available in that airship (and the terrace in DR) in EVERY RACE CAPITAL. Always.
The only thing I don’t get is why people would even spend money on this service…and if they do, for the convenience of not having to walk at all, well, they obviously have enough gold or money to spare.

Polka will never die

Posted by: SkyFallsInThunder.8257

SkyFallsInThunder.8257

I can’t even remember the last time I crafted something in LA. I do all my crafting in the beautiful town of Claypool, less loading time by far.

Posted by: Paradox.5498

Paradox.5498

Seriously people, why are you even angry about this? You can do everything available in that airship (and the terrace in DR) in EVERY RACE CAPITAL. Always.
The only thing I don’t get is why people would even spend money on this service…and if they do, for the convenience of not having to walk at all, well, they obviously have enough gold or money to spare.

Please enlighten me and point me to the nearest mystic forge in any of the capitals. LA’s convenience was that it was the only place where crafting stations, mystic forge, trade post and bank were all close to another. Now you either gotta pay for that convenience (and quite a hefty price if you have 8 or more characters) or -on crowded servers- queue for EB, or suffer a lot of loading screens when trading/crafting/forging alot. I can totally see why this is hardly acceptable for many players to be honest. It’s an awful decision to hide these services behind a gem store exclusive item.

(edited by Paradox.5498)

Posted by: Ronnie Hu.1694

Ronnie Hu.1694

so airship’s captain decides to rob the refugees with buying the tickets!
he capture the victims of crafting area and trainers
No money No services.

Posted by: Ohoni.6057

Ohoni.6057

The only reason I have any problems with this is that it coincided with them removing the crafting stations from the “Hub.” I really hope that after the “infinite” period is over they don’t make things even worse by removing other services. Ideally they would put gates to all five cities in the sPvP Mists area, and put gates to all five cities in each city, so that players can camp out in any city they want and not be “one step removed” from everything else.

If they can set up tons of gates at Vigil Keep in like ten minutes time, why after over a year haven’t they done the same in Rata Sum?

“If you spent as much time working on [some task] as
you spend complaining about it on the forums, you’d be
done by now.”

Majic.4801

Skiing The Slippery Slope

It is becoming increasingly difficult not to see moves like this as deliberate and contrived to convert features that were free at launch into de-facto “premium membership” perquisites that must be purchased at additional cost.

I’m all for ArenaNet making money off this excellent game, but using the Living World as a pretext to facilitate these sorts of changes comes across as underhanded and strains player trust.

The specious arguments and insults that fly back and forth in this thread and elsewhere, pro or con, will not change anyone’s mind at the end of the day. They never have and they never will.

What each of us is left with is the question of how comfortable we are with this process.

I’m not.

Posted by: Faowri.4159

Faowri.4159

This is pretty dodgy, I have to say. Everyone was under the impression that ALL central hub services would be relocated for free. Paywalling it has really not impressed me.

I hope everyone who is similarly not impressed is not complaining about it while buying a ticket. Vote with your wallets, people. If it sells, ethics will be kittened.

Posted by: BloodTaiko.1635

BloodTaiko.1635

as far as i can remember they said that they would only be moving the things that were “specific to lions arch” to the vigil keep the only stuff that actually fits that criteria are the asura gates that lead to the various home cities, the one that leads to southsun, the wvw portals, and the gate to fractals. crafting stations are not something that only lions arch has therefore they were not on the list of items to be moved.

edit. sorry mystic forge should probably be on that list as well even though u get one in wvw

(edited by BloodTaiko.1635)

Posted by: cortin.9174

cortin.9174

They’re releasing quality content for a game that costs no monthly to play. Personally I think it’s ok they make some money, they deserve it. I’d rather they make money so they can keep releasing quality content, rather than go the ways of SOE games where people pay for expansion packs and still don’t get quality content.

Posted by: Aidenwolf.5964

Aidenwolf.5964

They’re releasing quality content for a game that costs no monthly to play. Personally I think it’s ok they make some money, they deserve it. I’d rather they make money so they can keep releasing quality content, rather than go the ways of SOE games where people pay for expansion packs and still don’t get quality content.

Its underhanded business. They did not mistakenly forget to add crafting stations at the Vigil. They know what they did. Shady tactics and you lot still defend them, hilarious.

Buy To Play Guild Wars 2 2012-2015 – RIP
Unlucky since launch, RNG isn’t random
PugLife SoloQ