Exotic Discovery's Reset

Exotic Discovery's Reset

in Super Adventure Box: Back to School

Posted by: GlassRabbit.9684

GlassRabbit.9684

What you seem to be missing though, is in order to get to 500, you will be crafting theses recipes anyways. You will have to craft the exotic level gear in order to level up crafting. So really, you’re not losing anything. You will craft the same things you would have, except now ArenaNet is giving you more exp while you do it, making it easier to get to 500.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Atrophied.8725

Atrophied.8725

The only saving grace on this, I guess, is that maybe ANet will be kind enough to let us salvage exotic sentinel into new sentinel recipes, or at least let us salvage the inscrips/insiga back out to recraft.

Xandra – 80s in all classes – Ele/Guard mains – [TL] – NSP

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Elbegast.6970

Elbegast.6970

What you seem to be missing though, is in order to get to 500, you will be crafting theses recipes anyways. You will have to craft the exotic level gear in order to level up crafting. So really, you’re not losing anything. You will craft the same things you would have, except now ArenaNet is giving you more exp while you do it, making it easier to get to 500.

No, I wouldn’t be crafting these recipes to get to 500. I would be crafting components and selling them on the Trading Post and actually making gold rather than losing it. Now, I can’t sell the more valuable components because I have to use them to relearn the recipes.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Azihe.9456

Azihe.9456

So here is what I want to know: You know what the recipe is, and you can re-combine things if you ever need it again. So what do you actually lose? The words on your screen saying the recipe name? What is actually lost?

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Elbegast.6970

So here is what I want to know: You know what the recipe is, and you can re-combine things if you ever need it again. So what do you actually lose? The words on your screen saying the recipe name? What is actually lost?

I lost gold, lots of gold, to purchase those words on my screen. Those words are now being taken away and I have nothing to show for it. If I want those words back, I have to pay much more gold than before, due to this horrible Clockwork Chaos zergfest inflated economy.

I also feel violated. ArenaNet is taking away something that I worked for and was proud to have accomplished. Instead of taking something away (which makes me feel like I’ve been robbed) they could have just left the discoveries intact and retroactively given me the experience (which, psychologically speaking, would make me feel that I was being rewarded rather than punished).

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Renny.6571

Renny.6571

snip

No, you still have the crafted item. That’s what you dumped your gold on.

elite specs ruined pvp.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Elbegast.6970

snip

I paid far more for the materials needed to discover the recipe than the exotic would sell for on the Trading Post. That recipe is now being ripped away and I will be forced to spend even more gold to relearn it. Do you understand that? The ‘crafted item’, as you put it, means far less to me than having the recipe in my crafting tab.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Azihe.9456

snip

I paid far more for the materials needed to discover the recipe than the exotic would sell for on the Trading Post. That recipe is now being ripped away and I will be forced to spend even more gold to relearn it. Do you understand that? The ‘crafted item’, as you put it, means far less to me than having the recipe in my crafting tab.

That seems like a compulsion. An unhealthy one. The words do nothing for you, contribute nothing to a title or achievement points. No one will ever know except for you, and it seems a bit silly to get that worked up over those words on the screen. Bottom line is this is beneficial for everyone involved, and outside of people with weird compulsions, there is no negative.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Elbegast.6970

snip

That seems like a compulsion. An unhealthy one. The words do nothing for you, contribute nothing to a title or achievement points. No one will ever know except for you, and it seems a bit silly to get that worked up over those words on the screen. Bottom line is this is beneficial for everyone involved, and outside of people with weird compulsions, there is no negative.

There is a negative…a huge one. I have lost gold and I have lost a lot of it. I wouldn’t be so upset if ArenaNet would reimburse my material expenses for my soon-to-be-missing discoveries.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Azihe.9456

snip

There is a negative…a huge one. I have lost gold and I have lost a lot of it. I wouldn’t be so upset if ArenaNet would reimburse my material expenses for my soon-to-be-missing discoveries.

You lost gold of your own volition. I could have a compulsion to keep my achievement points at “1337” because that is exactly what I want, and if ANet introduces something that gives me 1 achievement point by accident, that isn’t their fault. Think of all the gold I didn’t get by not doing dailies! So much lost!

Same deal for you. You decided that you needed to have orange words pop up on the screen that do absolutely nothing for your character, account, or really anything at all. Since ANet has a VERY good reason to wipe those words and it causes no trouble to anyone, if you invent a reason why it’s bad, that’s on you too.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

Alot of you are not getting what most of have been talking about so lets get this straight.
When We say recipes we are losing WE ARE NOT talking about what the devs posted about. WE know the recipes for incriptions will not be reset. What your not getting is. We have already combined Inscription + Part 1 + Part 2 and discovered for them all for all the inscriptions. And to give even more Sence of what ArenaNet is ripping from us. Heres the example count of Mats and need to get back to what we was previously at for huntsman that they will stealing from us.

Huntsman
9 Incriptions types have to crafted again.
5 dowels x 9 inscriptions x 7 weapons = 315 dowels needed again
5 × 9 × 7 = 315 Ectos
5 × 7 for each teir 6 mat = 35 fangs , powerfulboods, etc
10 × 7 Flawless Snowflakes = 70 Snowflakes
30 × 7 Karka Shells = 210 Shells

Dowels
315 × 3 ingots = 945 ori ingots
315 × 2 planks = 630 Anceint planks

Craft Comp. 10 Inscriptions need this 11 if you crafted celes
Harpoon| 2 ingots 2 planks x 10 Inscriptions = 20 ingots 20 planks
Longow Stave | 4 planks x 10 = 40 planks
Pistol Frame | 2 planks x 10 = 20 planks
Rifle Stock | 3 planks x 2(2 weapons Require this Comp) x 10 = 60 planks
Shortbow Stave | 4 planks x 10 = 40 planks
Torch handle | 2 × 10 = 20 planks
Harden String | 3 × 2(2 weapons Require) x 10 = 60 Cured Hardened Leather Squares
Ori Horn | 1 ingot 2 planks x 10 = 10 ingots 20 planks
Ori Pistal Barrel | 3 ingots x 10 = 30 ingots
Ori Rifle Barrel | 3 ingots x 10 = 30 ingots
Ori Torch Head | 2 ingots x 10 = 20 ingots
Ori Warhorn Mouthpeice | 1 ingot x 10 ingots

Replacement of the 7 Sentinels Inscriptions I used already from the Molten Dungeon
7 × 14g(yesterday they where 18g wth) = 98-99g and There is only 208 left on the Tradepost

Totals for huntsman (forgive me if my maths wrong this news has me very upset)
1065 ingots x 2 ore = 2130 ore
850 planks x 3 logs = 2550 logs
100g for sentinals inscriptions
315 ectos
70 snowflakes
210 karka shells
35 of each teir 6 mat (Powerfull bloods, Ancient Bones,Elaborate Totem, Vicious Claw,Armored Scale,Powerfull Venom Sacs,,Vicious Fangs)

This Is what they will be ripping from my Huntsmans Crafting The time it took to gather the mats and buy any mats i still needed. mostly ectos and ori. The time spent on getting the Sentinals Incriptions in Molten Dungeon.

My weaponsmith I got done the same way before the Chaos update. Should I elaborate those totals too? Weaponsmith has 8 weapons instead of 7 so it be even more cost.

“edited for length”

And don’t forget its not just 2 of my professions that are being reset. If there going to reset all the exotic weapons What do you think going to happen when they roll out ascended armor my other 2 craft professions will get hit too Even worse for the ones that has this done for all the professions Something of which I was still working to do. this might no big deal to the ones that stopped @ 400 but this is a game killer for the ones that went past it and unlocked everything. The way i feel right now is Arenanet is reaching into my chest and pulling out my Heart with this reset. Its not a great feeling to have.
So please Arenanet don’t reset the exotic discovery’s give some sorta of retroactive reward for the exp thru discovering them all(or some of them) already instead.

Since so many replies are “What have you really lost? Stop complaining.” I’ve quoted the above. This is what we’ve lost and it’s not minuscule! The prices on ALL of these materials have gone up, and at least one of EACH and EVERY recipe lost will have to be made again! That’s a HUGE gold sink. Even if this rollback doesn’t affect you, even if you like this rollback, you have to at least concede this is no small setback for those of us who have invested the time and money to collect these recipes. And just because we actually LIKE crafting doesn’t mean we have an OCD problem, are WvW players addicted? Are jumping puzzle completionists OCD? We like crafting, it’s that simple.

I will do this again, with the update I’ll have no choice, it doesn’t mean I have to like losing a ton of gold and time to just get back to where I was before this update. You don’t have to agree but can you at least respect our position?

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: anzenketh.3759

anzenketh.3759

My Advice Wait…… Wait until the market is stabilized. Wait until you see for a entire month a nice picture of floors and ceilings with the item you are buying.

The market is unstable at the moment we don’t know what it’s final resting place will be. If in doubt ask in the trading post section of the forums.

I was going to draw some nice ascii art but forums does not like it.

In Game: Storm Bluff Isle — Anzz, Anzenketh Kyoto

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Wrei Mors Les.8406

Wrei Mors Les.8406

I don’t understand the fuss. People keep quoting normal exotic recipe discovery as though they can no longer craft the item without it (unlike the various recipes bought from Miyani or celestial ones). Placing the components in the same predictable pattern (weapons part a + b + ecto + insig) mearly opens up a shortcut the first time so that u can mass produce it later on (assuming any1 actually wants to do so for w/e reason).

Its like a list of books you’ve read. Scrap the list but the BOOK IS STILL THERE. You just have to read it again. The list serves no other purpose then as a reminder or for bragging rights (“I’ve read more books than you” ) cause you got such an amazing library that no one else could see.
Sense of completionist? Show me the achievement title, otherwise its just another obsessive compulsive issue (ego thing), but I digress.

Let me instead show an example of what could happen if Anet instead allowed you to keep your precious recipe ‘discoveries’.
Update comes. Everyone tries to level 400>>500. Guys like me with NO weapon exotic discoveries (except celestial) actually bothers to unlock ‘discoveries’. Fast tracks crafting level (I have all 8 btw).
Guys who already have ‘discoveries’ unlock. Tries to lv up >>500. Realise with NO new discovery, they spend twice as much material crafting things they already ‘discovered’ for the same level of crafting progression…….RAGES at Anet as a result………

So any more complaints?

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Smooth Penguin.5294

Smooth Penguin.5294

I would like to step in and offer a compromise for all the Completionists. The main reason for this complaint is that you’ll no longer have a crafting screen that’s full, am I correct? If this is the case, there’s a solution that can save you from having to repurchase all the materials from the TP – Screencaps!

A lot of the players who are complaining have nothing to gain from filling their crafting screens, save for the feeling of knowing you did it. So by taking a screencap of your achievements of perfect crafting discoveries, you’ll be able to still enjoy that feeling, even after the discoveries are reset.

In GW2, Trading Post plays you!

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Elbegast.6970

I would like to step in and offer a compromise for all the Completionists. The main reason for this complaint is that you’ll no longer have a crafting screen that’s full, am I correct? If this is the case, there’s a solution that can save you from having to repurchase all the materials from the TP – Screencaps!

A lot of the players who are complaining have nothing to gain from filling their crafting screens, save for the feeling of knowing you did it. So by taking a screencap of your achievements of perfect crafting discoveries, you’ll be able to still enjoy that feeling, even after the discoveries are reset.

My complaint isn’t that my crafting screen is no longer full. My complaint is that we have spent a ton of gold and materials to learn those recipes. Those recipes are being taken away and our gold and materials are not being refunded.

How can you not understand why we are upset? We are out gold, time and materials.

Okay, I have an idea, Mr. Penguin. Give me your gold and your T6 crafting materials. You can take a screencap of them before you send them, so you will still be able to enjoy them after they are gone.

(edited by Elbegast.6970)

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Doggie.3184

Doggie.3184

Sure you spent money discovering stuff for the sole purpose of discovering it, which is kind of a waste imo since there’s no achievements for it. Either way you still were able to sell those exotics on the TP. So asking for a refund is just unnecessary. It would be nice though if they just awarded exp for each item already discovered instead of resetting though. If that is even within their power to pulling off easily/correctly.

| Fort Aspenwood (NA): Sylvari Daredevil Thief Main: All Classes 80. |
Please Remove/Fix Thief Trait: “Last Refuge.”
“Hard to Catch” is a Horrible and Useless Trait. Fixed 6/23/15. Praise Dwayna.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Wrei Mors Les.8406

Wrei Mors Les.8406

I would like to step in and offer a compromise for all the Completionists.
/snip

My complaint isn’t that my crafting screen is no longer full. My complaint is that we have spent a ton of gold and materials to learn those recipes. Those recipes are being taken away and our gold and materials are not being refunded.

How can you not understand why we are upset? We are out gold, time and materials.

Okay, I have an idea, Mr. Penguin. Give me your gold and your T6 crafting materials. You can take a screencap of them before you send them, so you will still be able to enjoy them after they are gone.

While I appreciate Mr Penguin’s attempt at a resolution I am afraid to say the gesture is undeservably wasted. The average complainers here fail to accept the fact that their complete exotic crafting list MEANS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING (at least in the PRACTICAL sense.)
Sorry to say it to the completionist collective, you’ve WASTED your time and money. To reinforce my point let me ask a few questions:

1) Can your lvl400 craftsman with you fancy list craft anything that MY lv400 craftsman (without that fancy list) can not produce?

2) Was the system for discovery of so called ‘recipes’ such a chore that required annoying RNG with uncertain repeated attempts before success (much like Aions crafting system)? Or was the process predictably straightforward?

3) Does the ‘recipes’ once discovered confer some advantage (whether material ‘e.g better stats’, or cost ‘e.g. better market value’) to consecutive produced items different from the product produced the first time?

4) Does the GW2 game system recognise the craft list in any meaningful way? (e.g. Achievement points, titles, +speed in crafting)

Now let me further my point with mmo analogy:

NPC: “I need 100 insect stings Mr Hero. I will pay 10c per sting”
Hero: “Sure thing, be back from that cave in a bit”
(30mins later)
Hero: “Here is 3000 stings, wheres my 30000c?”
NPC: “But I only asked for 100.”
Hero: “Yeah well its a shame letting the other 2900 bugs live, I rather wipe out the whole nest and feel complete. Now wheres my coin old man? I wasted my time and money for your request.”

Moral: unnecessary overkill!

BUT I am sure you would appreciate a solution where Anet would let you keep your precious fluff list provided you sign an agreement to NEVER complain about the fact of the extra material cost required to level your craft to 500 where as others would simply ‘discover’ these predictable recipes and level to 500 at a much CHEAPER cost.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Atrophied.8725

I would happily pay the extra for levelling to 500 (well, 450, ’cause from there you just discover ascended recipes) if I get to keep all the Sentinel recipes in my lists. <3

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Illconceived Was Na.9781

Illconceived Was Na.9781

I think the point some are trying to make is: ANet decided for everyone. It does no good to explain that they did it with our best interests in mind, because each person will tend to think they better understand their own “best interests” than do a small group of developers.

As I stated above, I don’t think this was lazy or poor design, but all the same, I hope they don’t repeat this for Ascended Armor. I’d prefer to see them offer us a choice: reset the recipes (and thus be able to learn-by-discovery) or maintain the recipes (and be required to craft many more items, since we would lose out on the discovery cXP).

For those who want to dismiss the concerns as unhealthy attachment to “fluff,” it is worth keeping in mind that a huge fraction of the game is about accumulating fluff. Ugly weapons do the same damage as cool-looking ones, but few would be happy if ANet decided we’d be better off if everyone just had one choice of weapon skin. Or, what if ANet decided to increase the achievement points earned by completing dungeons and decided to reset all the dungeon completions, by saying it is in our best interests to repeat the dungeons since they have changed so much? It’s just an achievement, right?

Personally, I take the long term view: in 6 months, will I care that these recipes were reset? No, I won’t — for me, it’s just a momentary annoyance that I have to repeat something I already did. I understand why some aren’t bothered at all, but I am also sympathetic to many of those who feel this is a big step backwards.

John Smith: “you should kill monsters, because killing monsters is awesome.”

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Atrophied.8725

’Scuse me while I go out to buy 18 rare+ 18 exo sentinel insigs, and 19 rare+19 exo inscriptions. There goes a couple hundred g.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

You have been reading enough to know you will still know the Sentinel recipes, right? Those aren’t getting reset.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Atrophied.8725

Where has it been mentioned anywhere that you get to keep discovered (not learned from items) recipes?

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Zaxares.5419

Zaxares.5419

I sympathise with the OP’s position, but I agree that ANet’s hands are tied here. What he suggested with a Crafting XP booster for each unlocked recipe is a good idea, but unfortunately it takes more programming work than simply resetting the level 400 recipes. Time and manpower constraints meant it probably just wasn’t possible within the given timeframe.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: BilboBaggins.5620

BilboBaggins.5620

I appreciate all the thoughtful responses on both sides of this disagreement. I really appreciate those for the change that have disagreed without resorting to labels such as OCD, dumb, and stupid, or the negative retorts like too bad, your fault, and QQ moar.

At this point in the discussion the same exact points keep getting re-used and it’s just verbal ping-pong now. I hope I have made my opinion of the change in an intelligent and respectful manner, and I know many of you on the opposing side have done just that. I just don’t think any progress is being made anymore.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: BlueZone.4236

BlueZone.4236

I don’t understand the fuss. People keep quoting normal exotic recipe discovery as though they can no longer craft the item without it (unlike the various recipes bought from Miyani or celestial ones). Placing the components in the same predictable pattern (weapons part a + b + ecto + insig) mearly opens up a shortcut the first time so that u can mass produce it later on (assuming any1 actually wants to do so for w/e reason).

Its like a list of books you’ve read. Scrap the list but the BOOK IS STILL THERE. You just have to read it again. The list serves no other purpose then as a reminder or for bragging rights (“I’ve read more books than you” ) cause you got such an amazing library that no one else could see.
Sense of completionist? Show me the achievement title, otherwise its just another obsessive compulsive issue (ego thing), but I digress.

Let me instead show an example of what could happen if Anet instead allowed you to keep your precious recipe ‘discoveries’.
Update comes. Everyone tries to level 400>>500. Guys like me with NO weapon exotic discoveries (except celestial) actually bothers to unlock ‘discoveries’. Fast tracks crafting level (I have all 8 btw).
Guys who already have ‘discoveries’ unlock. Tries to lv up >>500. Realise with NO new discovery, they spend twice as much material crafting things they already ‘discovered’ for the same level of crafting progression…….RAGES at Anet as a result………

So any more complaints?

Thankfully, I haven’t done any discovery at the crafting cap, but this post here shows a pretty silly analogy.
Try this analogy:
Its like a list of books you’ve read, that you buy from a store.
Now the store removes the book from your possession.
THE BOOK IS STILL THERE IN THE STORE FOR YOU TO PURCHASE.

What’s the problem?

(edited by BlueZone.4236)

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

So any more complaints?

Thankfully, I haven’t done any discovery at the crafting cap, but this post here shows a pretty silly analogy.
Try this analogy:
Its like a list of books you’ve read, that you buy from a store.
Now the store removes the book from your possession.
THE BOOK IS STILL THERE IN THE STORE FOR YOU TO PURCHASE.

What’s the problem?

This doesn’t work because they never took the book back. It’s more like this:

You go to the book store. (crafting station)
You buy books. (you put materials in discovery that cost money)
You are given a receipt for each book you buy. (The discovery is placed on your list)
You are given the book. (You have the result of what you made, in this case a weapon)
The store revamps their computer system. (Crafting changes)
Your old receipts are no longer valid. (No longer on the recipe list)
You still have the Book you bought the first time. (They didn’t take the weapon away.)

However, if you want a receipt, you are going to have to buy copy of the book. (Rediscover the recipe.)
You now have 2 books! (You get the weapon from both discovery’s.)

If you don’t want another weapon, then don’t buy another book, and don’t get another receipt.

If you are anal retentive and have all your receipts neatly stored by date and order, and now MUST fix this, then yes, you have to buy another book, because the receipt sitting in your shoebox is useless. On the bright side, you get to keep both books!

Exotic Discovery's Reset

BlueZone.4236

No, the book itself it the “recipe”. The resulting product obtained from the “reading” book itself is kept (eg. weapon), but you lose the book.

Ignoring the silly analogy, there is a loss in crafting XP for any discovery done at the cap (which comes from the time/effort/gold for obtaining the materials needed).

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: zaxziakohl.5243

zaxziakohl.5243

No, the book itself it the “recipe”. The resulting product obtained from the “reading” book itself is kept (eg. weapon), but you lose the book.

Ignoring the silly analogy, there is a loss in crafting XP for any discovery done at the cap (which comes from the time/effort/gold for obtaining the materials needed).

There is no loss of crafting exp done at the cap, because if you did the discovery at the cap then you did it for no exp anyway! You can’t lose what you never gained.

However, you now have the opportunity to gain it. By crafting it again.

I’m not understanding the problem here. To level up your crafting you’d have to craft gears anyway right?

So lets say they don’t reset the recipes. To get from 400 to 500 you need to craft the recipes that are in your list as 400 right? So to level up your crafting, you are going to have to buy/farm mats to craft those gears no matter what.

The only difference, is that now you get discovery experience when you craft those exact same gears that you would be crafting to level your craft anyway!

Exotic Discovery's Reset

BlueZone.4236

If discovering a recipe cost 10g worth of materials, and selling the crafted item is 5g, that’s only a 5g loss (and yes, most recipes are a gold sink).
If person A discovered it a couple of months ago, then discovers it again post-patch, that’s 10g loss (I’m ignoring inflation).
If person B waits, he only discovers it once and that’s a 5g loss.

The proper solution would have been to just retroactively reward crafting XP to any discovered recipe, but the thoughtlessness of this whole thing is not surprising.
It’s no different to the deadeye box “reward” change and karma “accident”.

EDIT: actually, the other solution is to leave the cap alone, but anet wanted another gold sink, so they can’t do that.

(edited by BlueZone.4236)

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Hyperionkhv.1978

Hyperionkhv.1978

Guys, show compassion to crafters. They have… well, had own way to enjoy this game. Please, do not tell about “opportunities” to speed up craft level from 400. We already have suppressed mood. We will lost more than acquire because: you can not sold ascended weapons and very many discovered recipes were just gold sink. Gold sink + recipes taken away. So it will be net loss for true crafters.

You should realize that each player can have own likes & dislikes. If you think that all players should play only one way you are wrong. If you do not understand meaning of discovered recipes list to crafters do not write it was stupid/unprofitable/useless. We had fun. And it was more important.

Even if one likes games, there’s a limit…

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

So wait, the problem here seems to be everyone likes to have a full list of every exotic craftable in their little tab? You’re complaining because of your Uber-OCD? Sounds like your problem. You can still craft them in the discovery tab, so all this really does is not make them show up.

No, we are complaining because it cost us a Metrica ton of gold to discover those recipes (more gold than the exotics were worth) and now we have to spend even more gold (because inflation sucks) to relearn them.

What’s making you “relearn them”? You can still craft them via the discovery tab, what’s the big deal about having them discovered? OCD?

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: KyreneZA.8617

KyreneZA.8617

Alot of you are not getting what most of have been talking about so lets get this straight.
…snipped…
Totals for huntsman (forgive me if my maths wrong this news has me very upset)
1065 ingots x 2 ore = 2130 ore
850 planks x 3 logs = 2550 logs
100g for sentinals inscriptions
315 ectos
70 snowflakes
210 karka shells
35 of each teir 6 mat (Powerfull bloods, Ancient Bones,Elaborate Totem, Vicious Claw,Armored Scale,Powerfull Venom Sacs,,Vicious Fangs)

Or about 365gp at the time of me quoting above. Granted, you possibly got some of that back if you sold all the weapons you made on the TP, but you’re still going to be out of pocket by a significant amount of currency to “redo” all those recipes.

Recently returned to…
Aurora Glade some random MegaServer™, always being asked to volunteer for that buff…
Ranger | Necromancer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Elbegast.6970

So wait, the problem here seems to be everyone likes to have a full list of every exotic craftable in their little tab? You’re complaining because of your Uber-OCD? Sounds like your problem. You can still craft them in the discovery tab, so all this really does is not make them show up.

No, we are complaining because it cost us a Metrica ton of gold to discover those recipes (more gold than the exotics were worth) and now we have to spend even more gold (because inflation sucks) to relearn them.

What’s making you “relearn them”? You can still craft them via the discovery tab, what’s the big deal about having them discovered? OCD?

Nothing is forcing me to ‘relearn them’. As a matter of fact, I choose not to relearn them. My largest complaint is that the gold and materials I’ve wasted, to learn them initially, is not being refunded. You can say ‘you got the exotic from learning them, that’s your reward’ but the exotic was worth far, far less than the components required to make it. I feel cheated, violated and extremely disappointed.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Morsus.5106

@Elbegast Why did you craft them in the first place? (And I never said "you got the exotic from leaning them, that’s your reward). I still fail to see the importance of having everything discovered. If you didn’t want the weapon (and obviously you didn’t) then why did you do it in the first place? To say “I’ve discovered every exotic in the game”?

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: fungihoujo.8476

fungihoujo.8476

If you had 100s of gold to waste on completion back then, it probably won’t be hard to make enough gold to fill it up again. This change benefits 99% of players- you can’t place a group of super elite, super wealthy OCDers above them.

And as you’ve all said- it cost you hundreds of gold, but clearly that’s no issue if you have enough cash to be a completionist (it’d have cost you tens of thousands after all to collect all the legendaries). Frankly- you could get all these discoveries again in what it’ll cost to discover one or two ascendeds.

/first world problems

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Alchemist.7523

Alchemist.7523

If you had 100s of gold to waste on completion back then, it probably won’t be hard to make enough gold to fill it up again. This change benefits 99% of players- you can’t place a group of super elite, super wealthy OCDers above them.

And as you’ve all said- it cost you hundreds of gold, but clearly that’s no issue if you have enough cash to be a completionist (it’d have cost you tens of thousands after all to collect all the legendaries). Frankly- you could get all these discoveries again in what it’ll cost to discover one or two ascendeds.

/first world problems

WONT SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN!

¬ Brightest light casts darkest shadows¬

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Bugabuga.9721

Bugabuga.9721

I guess the primary inconvenience for regular players will be “Oh I have to look on the wiki for what-was-that-inscription I need” instead of “type name of the weapon in crafting search box”. If you don’t have any alts then odds of needing another copy of exotic crafted weapon for non-completionist reasons are much lower (not surprising, as ANet have been clamping down on anything alt-related — rewards, tokens, wvw rank, fractal rank, all those are discouraging to having multiple characters)

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Chrisplosion.3756

Chrisplosion.3756

This is hands down one of the most baffling asinine arguments I have seen on the forums yet. Essentially a bunch of OCD crafters angry their list is no longer complete. Discovering exotics prior to the new update holds no purpose unless you need to use those items or wish to trade them. To discover every single recipe seems very pointless. You gain no xp, no achievements, or any other reward for doing so. It seems like the sole purpose is to fulfill some compulsive urge.

Anet should not refund anyone anything in resetting them, you are losing nothing in the process. You still keep your learned recipes from Recipe Items, and will now actually gain xp for discovering recipes. It’s mind boggling you have somehow found a way to find fault in this.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: SpyderArachnid.5619

SpyderArachnid.5619

This is hands down one of the most baffling asinine arguments I have seen on the forums yet. Essentially a bunch of OCD crafters angry their list is no longer complete. Discovering exotics prior to the new update holds no purpose unless you need to use those items or wish to trade them. To discover every single recipe seems very pointless. You gain no xp, no achievements, or any other reward for doing so. It seems like the sole purpose is to fulfill some compulsive urge.

Anet should not refund anyone anything in resetting them, you are losing nothing in the process. You still keep your learned recipes from Recipe Items, and will now actually gain xp for discovering recipes. It’s mind boggling you have somehow found a way to find fault in this.

Let’s explain this one more time since people can’t be bothered to read any other posts and learn exactly why we are upset. I’ll even use an example for those that are dense and can’t understand it.

Say you spent 500g on discovering every single recipe in the game. I don’t want to hear it was pointless or there is no reason to do it and it is our fault for doing that. The point of the matter is simply this.

You spent 500g on discovering everything. The items you got from discovering all those recipes, you sold for about 100g total. All in all, you lost about 400g discovering every single recipe in the game. Yes you’re out 400g, but you have every recipe now. For completionists, that means a lot.

Now Anet is going to remove all those recipes you worked hard to discover. You spent tons of money, tons of materials, and tons of time learning all of them. You lost 400g discovering all of those recipes. And now you have nothing to show for it anymore.

You are now out 400g, AND you have to spend another 500g to learn all of those recipes again. So in total, you are losing all your recipes and 900g because Anet reset all your hard work and money spent and are making you do it all over again.

It will not be cheaper and you are losing more money than you lost because you have to do everything again. Whether you are a completionist or not, it is a messed up thing to do to their players. They are losing gold, materials, and time spent because Anet was too lazy to make new recipes and instead are going to reset all that hard work and make us do it all over again.

Now can you guys understand that? Let me put it in a new perspective since you see this as pointless.

Imagine you spent 200g on gearing up your character. Then Anet shows up and removes all your gear cause of some new feature they are introducing to gear. And all they can say to you is “oh well, do it all again”. So now you’re out 200g for all that money and time spent gearing up your character, and you have to spend another 200g and time again just to gear your character back up. Does that seem fair to you?

A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.
Lady Bethany Of Noh – Chronomancer – Lords of Noh [LoN]

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Atrophied.8725

By that merit, playing this game is pointless, you don’t gain any money or life improving benefits from it. The only reason you do play is to fill some compulsive urge, it’s almost as if some people do things for fun.

Can my reward for getting all those discoveries not be personal pride in the accomplishment and enjoyment I got out of finally completing it? I mean, it’s something that actually takes effort/gold and is, in my mind, an achievement in itself.

Just because something doesn’t fit your precise definition of ‘fun’, doesn’t mean everyone conforms to the exact same standard. Get off your kitten high horse.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

fungihoujo.8476

Imagine you spent 200g on gearing up your character. Then Anet shows up and removes all your gear cause of some new feature they are introducing to gear. And all they can say to you is “oh well, do it all again”. So now you’re out 200g for all that money and time spent gearing up your character, and you have to spend another 200g and time again just to gear your character back up. Does that seem fair to you?

You mean like putting in ascended gear that makes all our exotics trivial?

/checkmate

Exotic Discovery's Reset

SpyderArachnid.5619

/checkmate

Sort of, but not really. You aren’t losing your Exotic weapons cause Ascended weapons were released, are you? You still have them. Nothing was taken away from you and made you have to go do it again to get it back.

Unlike with these recipes, we are losing them. And in order to get them, we have to spend even more money and more time on getting them again.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

fungihoujo.8476

/checkmate

Sort of, but not really. You aren’t losing your Exotic weapons cause Ascended weapons were released, are you? You still have them. Nothing was taken away from you and made you have to go do it again to get it back.

Unlike with these recipes, we are losing them. And in order to get them, we have to spend even more money and more time on getting them again.

Except it is the same- your main concern is collecting, you have to do it again. Everyone else’s is gearing, and everyone else has to do it again. This ‘doing the same task all over again’ is something we’ve been doing all throughout mmo history- at least in this case, it benefits you because you get discovery xp all over again. I’d gladly give up my exotics if it meant getting progress towards my ascendeds when I pick them up again- but, it doesn’t work like that for us.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

SpyderArachnid.5619

/checkmate

Except it is the same- your main concern is collecting, you have to do it again. Everyone else’s is gearing, and everyone else has to do it again. This ‘doing the same task all over again’ is something we’ve been doing all throughout mmo history- at least in this case, it benefits you because you get discovery xp all over again. I’d gladly give up my exotics if it meant getting progress towards my ascendeds when I pick them up again- but, it doesn’t work like that for us.

Except you’re forgetting one thing still. Just like everyone is forgetting the exact same thing all the time in this thread.

We are losing money, materials, and time.

It is not just recipes. All the money, materials, and time we spent discovering all those recipes is gone. Vanished. Erased. Disintegrated. Non-existant. Etc etc etc.

We have to spend all that money again, all those materials again, and all that time again to discover every recipe that we used to have. Meaning we are going to lose more money, more materials, and more time again.

As soon as you guys realize that this is not just about losing recipes, the sooner you’ll understand the reason behind this concern. For those that didn’t discover a bunch of recipes, this is going to have no effect on you. But for those that already discovered all those recipes, they are going to lose a lot of gold, materials, and time because of it.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

fungihoujo.8476

And those who spent hours, money, effort building up a costly set of gear are now needing to spend all that time doing dungeons again, building up karma or gold or tokens in order to get their ascended gear- or even having to do crafting. All that time they’ve spent- wiped away because the gear we have is now trivial.

I’m sure most of us would love all our skill points, karma, gold, time, tokens, etc… back we spent on gear, sigils, transmutions, etc…. but we aren’t getting that. Those that spent a month or two on celestial sets only for them to lose a full stat with zero compensation. Those who bought ascended trinkets and rings with the celestial stat- again, losing a full stat with no compensation- and in that case the costs could have been hundreds of fractals or months of laurels- no compensation.

Trust me, I’d love the gold and laurels back to put towards ascended gear and exotics that will now be trivial- but that’s not going to happen.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Morsus.5106

@SpyderArachnid The one problem with your analogy is that gear actually has a use. You guys just decided to waste 400g on something trivial and now that Anet is taking it away your throwing a hissy fit. While it is annoying, devs shouldn’t have to tip-toe around OCD players.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Duke Darkwood.4237

Duke Darkwood.4237

I’d like tot ake a moment away from this… riveting debate… and seek clarification on one thing Linsey said on the first page:

Any recipe learned through an item will not be affected! Again, if you double-clicked an item to learn a recipe, that recipe unlock will NOT be reset. If you want to make something from one of the exotic recipes you had learned but it had been reset, simply put the ingredients into the discovery window and make it.

Does this ALSO count for the Apothecary recipes which we received for free on our list – no item, but no discovery necessary? (I can’t remember if the same was done for GIver, or if items were involved in the learning.)

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Alex.3907

Alex.3907

You make a pretty good point here, but there is a factor you’re not considering: gearers have had many months of warning that ascended weapons were coming, and magic find gearers, who didn’t get much warning, have been gifted the ability to transmute their MF gear to any other stat set for free. Meanwhile, crafting completionists have had no warning that their recipes would be removed, and no compensation for that removal.

So although we have all had our hard-earned setups disrupted by this update, crafting completionists have been hit the hardest. It’s not unreasonable for us to be upset that we aren’t getting the kind of warning/compensation that gearers are getting.

Does this ALSO count for the Apothecary recipes which we received for free on our list – no item, but no discovery necessary? (I can’t remember if the same was done for GIver, or if items were involved in the learning.)

I’m pretty sure we’ll still be keeping those. ANet is only removing recipes that can be discovered for xp — so if it shows up for free on your list, it can’t be discovered for xp, and there’s no need for them to remove it.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Sushihammer.4813

Sushihammer.4813

I find it insulting the way all these people are bashing these crafter people. I know that functionally, it is pointless, they don’t receive anything for unlocking all the recipes, but it’s a legitimate aspect to their game experience, and some people here are being humongous jerks about it. I’d think if any game community would be accepting of people who are somewhat OCD it would be one like this. Guess not.

You don’t have to feel like it’s a problem for you, but don’t pretend like it isn’t a problem for them.

Exotic Discovery's Reset

Posted by: Sykper.6583

Sykper.6583

There is one, and only one thing I have to ask those who spend the time/gold/materials to craft to fill out the collection.

Just one thing, very simple thing that effectively decides how big of an investment you ‘really’ lost.

What did you do with the resulting crafted item?

You put in time and money to get an item, so what did you do with it?

- Did you vendor it?

- Did you list it on the TP?

- Is it chilling out in your bank?

Why am I asking this? Because I cannot believe you are out so much money without getting something back. You created said items with materials and whatnot, spent time doing so. You should, as we all know, have gotten your money BACK from selling, if not make a profit depending on what you sold.

If there is any real loss, you simply spent a lot of time getting the recipes filled out, that is it. Any able-minded player would have sold the product crafted at a price to break even.

Although heaven forbid the product itself is less than the sum of its part, some recipes ARE such. Then yes, you lost maybe a few gold, but I assure you you haven’t lost hundreds.

This is what we the 99% are trying to get at. If the only investment you made was time then many of us have paid that same price.

Suicidal Warrior.
Putting Perspective on Zerg Sizes since 2012. Common Suffixes for 40+ include ~Zilla and ~Train
“Seriously, just dodge.”