Super box...fun?

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Eviscer.8930

Eviscer.8930

While I appreciate the cutesy clouds and terrible graphics are supposed to trigger a nostalgic response from me and make this new content fun, I can really only say 1 thing..

If I wanted to play a mario, I’d be playing mario.

I want to play Guild wars 2. Please spend your resources on content for that game.

I feel the same way. Even further, every time I get suckered into a jumping puzzle, I keep whining to my guildies “I hate this Mario s—-! I’m not here to play —--ing Mario!”

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Storm of the Ages.9076

Storm of the Ages.9076

This game is nothing like mario.. It is however a hell of alot like The Legend of Zelda <3 And stop complaining about variety in this game. If you don’t like it, move on. There happen to be ALOT of people supporting this thing right now. We like it because it’s fun and it give us a nice little break from the seriousness of some of the in game world (( Like the haters xD ))

More worlds PLEASE!! Love you Anet <3

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: ophidic.1279

ophidic.1279

That’s not fun either. Really kind of a pain if you want a legendary since you seem to have to grind that puzzle over and over for badges. Or grind forever for badges in regular wvw.

Elyl Jrend

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

ophidic.1279

This game is nothing like mario.. It is however a hell of alot like The Legend of Zelda <3 And stop complaining about variety in this game. If you don’t like it, move on. There happen to be ALOT of people supporting this thing right now. We like it because it’s fun and it give us a nice little break from the seriousness of some of the in game world (( Like the haters xD ))

More worlds PLEASE!! Love you Anet <3

If you want a break from guild wars, play a different game please.

Yeah the haters… oh you mean people with opinions different from your own? rolleyes

Elyl Jrend

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Elochai.1280

Elochai.1280

There is nothing wrong with someone expressing their opinion on this event. Calling them haters does nothing and is childish. They don’t like it so they voice their opinion. Deal with it and grow up.

Elochai Rendar 80 Warrior/Anskar Rendar 80 Necromancer/Rylea Rendar 80 Thief/Kento Rendar 80 Ranger
Commander

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

ophidic.1279

Its freaking fun and liking it. Hell, its been almost 4 months I have stopped playing the game.

My brother call me about this crazy retro thing and could not believe it!

Almost four months?! I don’t get you people…. I played gw1 for 5 years straight… maybe like 1 month break at most. GW2 just came out last november.

If mario is what brings people back to the game then this kind of makes me feel sick in a way because it’s starting to feel like guild wars is turning more and more into “casual gaming wars”.

Elyl Jrend

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

Its freaking fun and liking it. Hell, its been almost 4 months I have stopped playing the game.

My brother call me about this crazy retro thing and could not believe it!

Almost four months?! I don’t get you people…. I played gw1 for 5 years straight… maybe like 1 month break at most. GW2 just came out last november.

If mario is what brings people back to the game then this kind of makes me feel sick in a way because it’s starting to feel like guild wars is turning more and more into “casual gaming wars”.

If you played GW1 for 5 years, you should know what level of quality to expect for holiday events. Stop acting like this thing is out of character for ANET.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Storm of the Ages.9076

You become a hater when you ask not to make content that alot of people enjoy. Its a retro jumping puzzel and it affects your game in no way. Mine as well ask them to remove wvw because it is taking away frome dungeons right? Don’t ask for something removed because it took dev power. That is just rediculous.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: VOLKON.1290

VOLKON.1290

While I appreciate the cutesy clouds and terrible graphics are supposed to trigger a nostalgic response from me and make this new content fun, I can really only say 1 thing..

I want to play Guild wars 2. Please spend your resources on content for that game.

Yeah really… I don’t know why this isn’t a straightforward concept, but it seems to confuse the bejesus out of a ton of people.

What confuses us is the fact that there are still people incapable of realizing one very basic yet very important fact. This IS GW2.

#TeamJadeQuarry

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Heijincks.9267

Heijincks.9267

If it’s fun, I don’t really care. That’s what games are about. SAB is fun, therefore I don’t see why it doesn’t deserve its place in GW2. It’s not as if it breaks what the game’s about.

For the paranoid who are afraid of the direction GW2 is taking, relax. SAB wasn’t meant to be a major feature to begin with. If people make it a major feature, that would be a playerbase decision, which is a good thing.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Tobias Trueflight.8350

Tobias Trueflight.8350

I dunno about you, but I was born in 1980… and I’m honestly sick and tired of being fed and refed pseudo 8-bit and 16-bit “retro” themed garbage. Make something look 8-bit, reference a bunch of old games and ship it.

I was born around the same time. You know why that stuff isn’t truly the same as what we had growing up? Because people stopped that soul-crushing difficulty those games had. (See: “Castlevania Frustration Syndrome”, “Nintendo Hard”, and Nethack)

If you want truly retro? Go play Dwarf Fortress. ASCII graphics, clunky interface, and difficulty which is insurmountable. And a lot of that difficulty is for completely wrong reasons, as well. Best of both worlds!

This obviously has some work put into it and I appreciate it for that, but I’m really starting to feel pandered to by all the retro remakes and chip tunes and things.

I feel more rage at the people who do it badly, the ones who don’t try to preserve the same sort of feel. For instance, “VVVVVV” managed to preserve the feel of a retro game. “Terraria” did not, because it was clearly far more complex than any game of its appearance in the past. “Legend of Grimrock” balanced it out by being styled after older games but with a graphics face-lift.

I appreciate developers who want to “bring it back” to what they grew up with. I appreciate them wanting to leave behind the incredibly expensive graphics for simpler stuff so they can work on gameplay. (See: Minecraft, Gnomoria) I would like them to not try to remake the past, though, and make something new.

Thankfully, this Super Adventure Box is something new. It’s reminding me of some older games around the Playstation era, only with better polish to it. You know, the stupid clunky graphics rendering, the glitched psuedo-three-dimentional play . . . (It’s refreshing, I get 60 FPS in the Box and never have problems with graphics lag or such. I like this.)

If I want retro, I get REAL retro and play some mame or god forbid, a hardware intellivision console with advanced AD&D treasures of tarmin.

I have retro enough of games I like, though I have to play them through DOSbox. Also, “Tunnels of Doom: Reboot” being a faithful Java recreation of that game from my DISTANT past.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

Guy 1: I bought a serious RPG because that’s what I like playing, and that’s what this game was promised to be. But the additions are directly compromising this.

Guy 2: Dude, brighten up. It’s just a game, it’s just a mini-game too. Are you just anti-fun or something? Stop complaining, you don’t have to play it. Jerk.

Guy 3: How dare you! ArenaNet worked so hard on this, and all you can do is complain like an entitled child. You’re just an irrational and hateful person. This isn’t your kind of game; we don’t need you here. You’re just a GW2/ArenaNet hater, therefore anything you say is invalid.

Pretty much every thread on this. People who are annoyed because the game they bought and enjoyed because of what it was, is slowly going in a completely different direction. People who have no capacity to understand the viewpoint of the previous people and assume they’re anti-fun or just jerks. People who are the previous, except also view the game as part of their identity, and act as if you’ve insulted their religion (which you essentially have), and use straw man/ad hominem in every response.

It’d be really nice if people would try to understand where other people are coming from before insulting them and removing all chance for an actual discussion. But that’s what all game forums are now.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

(edited by Alarox.4590)

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Alarox.4590

Alarox.4590

You become a hater when you ask not to make content that alot of people enjoy. Its a retro jumping puzzel and it affects your game in no way. Mine as well ask them to remove wvw because it is taking away frome dungeons right? Don’t ask for something removed because it took dev power. That is just rediculous.

Hey #2.

Alarox – Human Guardian
Rampage Wilson – Charr Engineer
Sea of Sorrows

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: DarcShriek.5829

DarcShriek.5829

Well, seeing that many of the posters like to brag about their age, I’d just like to say that I’m 50, and I’m having a ball with the SAB.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

Ah… If all, who are complaining are so smart as they try to seem, they have to understand such things as that at developing of this SAB, jump puzzle etc, involved a SPECIAL SEPARATE team of developers. If to listen to people, so ALL developers are left out to do jump puzzles, giggling gleefully over the poor deprived gamers of all classes and pvp players. Can you imagine what would happen if the “resources” represented by developers who do puzzles suddenly will be sent do balance?

(edited by MeGaZlo.9516)

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Storm of the Ages.9076

You do realize that I am in no way judging his play style right? I’m saying that like people should play the way they want to play and have the freedom to do so. Playing your way is a big part of the Guild Wars 2 design philosophy. I personally dont care how any of you play. I like variety. Variety makes a well rounded game. Hardcore stuff comes out too it just takes more time. People are just impatient.

What I WAS saying was the remark in the first post. “I want to play Guild wars 2. Please spend your resources on content for that game.” That’s claiming that this new content is not part of the game because it doesn’t fit HIS play style. Not only that I think that such a comment is insulting to dev that spent alot of time and care to make something new for us. We all should be happy about about new content every month. It is amazing. People need to just wait their turn and not call out anet for not developing what they want. Try seeing their perspective. They do silly things every april’s fools and this is by far the greatest. It’s their own silly holiday that they love and I am glad they went over the top with it.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: thievery.2701

thievery.2701

Always with the negativity. I don’t think anyone asked for this content, but it seems that as per the usual the optimists are enjoying what they got (for free mind you) while the pessimists do what they do best. Also, this is not indicative of any “direction” that GW2 may or may not be headed. In my opinion this game is seriously lacking in the mini-game department anyways, with Keg Brawl being the only one I can think of offhand. Is adding a new mini-game and weapon skins really setting off alarms for a sudden change of direction in people’s heads?

The fact that it is nowhere near complete tells me that they were skeptical about SAB to begin with, which really is sad. Sad enough that it prompted me, someone who rarely posts here, to sign on and ask: What kind of community are we that the same company that gave us GW2 is hesitant to share some of their creativity with us? I have nothing but praise for A-Net, especially in these last couple of weeks. Keep on naively hoping for a perfect game developer and pardon me while I go back to enjoying my free and optional content.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Serephen.3420

Serephen.3420

Single greatest addition to the game aside from Fractals, I’m glad they added it in my guild and I have had many hours of fun inside there

Hope they do more things like this!

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Tobias Trueflight.8350

Well, seeing that many of the posters like to brag about their age, I’d just like to say that I’m 50, and I’m having a ball with the SAB.

Not bragging, it’s merely a relevant fact. I lived through what people want to recapture with “retro NES/SNES” style It’s very nostalgic to me, though there are several aspects I never want to deal with again.

The SAB mixes some of the good stuff of retro, some of the good stuff of GW2 jumping puzzles, some of the bad stuff of retro, and some of the bad stuff of GW2 jumping puzzles all in a nice blender and serves it up with fairly simple presentation. I like it but I’m not going to enjoy it after two weeks’ time I think.

That about sums up my opinion of Halloween and Wintersday too. “This is really neat fun, but I’m glad it’s not staying”.

Seeking assistants for the Asuran Catapult Project. Applicants will be tested for aerodynamics.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: mjhungness.8059

mjhungness.8059

Sometimes I wonder if it’s just fashionable to be negative. I think maybe we’ve made it that way. Maybe it looks wise to sagely sit back and pass judgement negatively on something that is obviously making a lot of people happy. To be the lone, dissenting voice, shrieking out that, wait! hold the phone! THEY didn’t get what THEY wanted. Wisely, we need to be informed that we are silly for snapping up this drivel, that we are all being lead down the road to kittendom. For somewhere, there is that pure, wonderful game that is best for all of us. Never should we waver from our demands of being given that game, through free updates, as painful and as dreary as that ultimate grail will be. Cast out these fun updates! Never take your eyes away from the ideal of the one true game, never step off the trail that leads the developers there. Praise their efforts only in pursuit of that shifting, indefinable goal and negatively post on all other dalliances of free fun.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Sometimes I wonder if it’s just fashionable to be negative. I think maybe we’ve made it that way. Maybe it looks wise to sagely sit back and pass judgement negatively on something that is obviously making a lot of people happy. To be the lone, dissenting voice, shrieking out that, wait! hold the phone! THEY didn’t get what THEY wanted. Wisely, we need to be informed that we are silly for snapping up this drivel, that we are all being lead down the road to kittendom. For somewhere, there is that pure, wonderful game that is best for all of us. Never should we waver from our demands of being given that game, through free updates, as painful and as dreary as that ultimate grail will be. Cast out these fun updates! Never take your eyes away from the ideal of the one true game, never step off the trail that leads the developers there. Praise their efforts only in pursuit of that shifting, indefinable goal and negatively post on all other dalliances of free fun.

I absolutely, positively think you are incorrect because here in my high chair, I do not sit back… I lean back with my arms folded across my chest.

/troll

Anyways, I honestly feel like anyone who has a complaint about a free event that does not have ANY part of it tied into paying real money (okay, sure you can use the gem argument, but I can use the gold—>gem argument, so hah) should close their browser, get on Guild Wars 2, and not partake in the event.

WOAH, SO MINDBLOWING.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

mjhungness.8059

I’m a troll? Now I’m confused about what that means. I thought I was making light.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Esplen.3940

I’m a troll? Now I’m confused about what that means. I thought I was making light.

Nonoono, I was just trolling you. I’m sorry for the misunderstanding, I had to troll you right there.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

mjhungness.8059

Lol! Seriously, I went back and looked up the definition of trolling a forum and was scratching my head thinking maybe I had overstepped, thereby pretty much making my post on negativity … negative. I shouldn’t be allowed on the forums this early in the morning.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Esplen.3940

Lol! Seriously, I went back and looked up the definition of trolling a forum and was scratching my head thinking maybe I had overstepped, thereby pretty much making my post on negativity … negative. I shouldn’t be allowed on the forums this early in the morning.

Neither should I. I tried to salvage my post with an on-topic remark (note, it was not edited in).

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

ophidic.1279

That is just rediculous.

Elyl Jrend

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Esplen.3940

As is complaining about an event by stating that it has “no place” in the current framework of the game. It actually does have a place. It’s a game within a game (haha, gameception joke here…).

The Super Adventure Box is supposed to be a Game Console/Simulator.

To everyone wondering why they can’t use their classes skills, it’s because you’re not playing your class anymore. You’re playing a game within GW2. They simply use your character and a modified UI so it doesn’t look like a World of World of Warcraft where you tell your character to tell his character to play.

I think a lot of people would feel better about it if they had their models replaced with a pixelated model, but then we’d get complaints of “LOLOMGYUHASMINECRAFTWITHINGW2” and the complaints will never end…

Did I mention complaints will never end? Someone will always be dissatisfied.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

ophidic.1279

Always with the negativity. I don’t think anyone asked for this content, but it seems that as per the usual the optimists are enjoying what they got (for free mind you) while the pessimists do what they do best. Also, this is not indicative of any “direction” that GW2 may or may not be headed. In my opinion this game is seriously lacking in the mini-game department anyways, with Keg Brawl being the only one I can think of offhand. Is adding a new mini-game and weapon skins really setting off alarms for a sudden change of direction in people’s heads?

The fact that it is nowhere near complete tells me that they were skeptical about SAB to begin with, which really is sad. Sad enough that it prompted me, someone who rarely posts here, to sign on and ask: What kind of community are we that the same company that gave us GW2 is hesitant to share some of their creativity with us? I have nothing but praise for A-Net, especially in these last couple of weeks. Keep on naively hoping for a perfect game developer and pardon me while I go back to enjoying my free and optional content.

Maybe because they finally thought they shouldn’t put this kind of nonsense in the game? And for all the times people have said to keep super mario bros out of gw, this is kind of like a giant middle finger to everyone who doesn’t like these jumping puzzles, on top of the middle finger of the jumping puzzle advertising itself to me all month long.

Elyl Jrend

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Oorjuwa.1682

Oorjuwa.1682

Guy 1: I bought a serious RPG because that’s what I like playing, and that’s what this game was promised to be. But the additions are directly compromising this.

Guy 2: Dude, brighten up. It’s just a game, it’s just a mini-game too. Are you just anti-fun or something? Stop complaining, you don’t have to play it. Jerk.

Guy 3: How dare you! ArenaNet worked so hard on this, and all you can do is complain like an entitled child. You’re just an irrational and hateful person. This isn’t your kind of game; we don’t need you here. You’re just a GW2/ArenaNet hater, therefore anything you say is invalid.

Pretty much every thread on this. People who are annoyed because the game they bought and enjoyed because of what it was, is slowly going in a completely different direction. People who have no capacity to understand the viewpoint of the previous people and assume they’re anti-fun or just jerks. People who are the previous, except also view the game as part of their identity, and act as if you’ve insulted their religion (which you essentially have), and use straw man/ad hominem in every response.

It’d be really nice if people would try to understand where other people are coming from before insulting them and removing all chance for an actual discussion. But that’s what all game forums are now.

Thumps Up for you!

“You’ve got some really nice toys there. Mind if I break them?”
— Gwen

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

ophidic.1279

Yes! I agree everyone should share what you consider fun to be fun as well and no one may disagree with what you consider fun, nor contest it in any way shape or form!

Your sarcasm is really asinine. Sorry if playing regular Guild Wars is dreary and painful for you, but there’s lots of people that don’t need elaborate puzzles shoved in their face for a full month every time there’s some kind of holiday.

Elyl Jrend

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Esplen.3940

It’s a free, one-month event. If you’re complaining about free content, you’re focusing on the wrong thing to complain about. This doesn’t impact your gameplay experience unless you force it to.

The game is still the same game that you’ve bought. Arenanet always has done good events. Good is an opinionated word being used by ME and does not represent anyone else’s opinion unless they explicitly agree with me or “share the feels”. The Super Adventure Box is not going to dynamically/drastically change your Guild Wars Experience TM. You’re not suddenly going to be forced to play an 8bit game after buying a 3D game. If you want to partake in the event, you can. If you don’t like it or don’t want to participate in it, you don’t have to.

It’s just like WvW/Dungeons/sPvP/Open World PvE. Just because you don’t like where one of them is headed doesn’t mean the entire game is bad and that it needs to be removed. You’re not the only player and neither am I.

Additionally, the Super Adventure Box comes equipped with Infantile Mode which allows (and, in fact, assists in) achieving all the Achievements and the Title.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Soulstar.7812

Soulstar.7812

Lemme guess, you were born in the 90s

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

I suppose they can’t please everybody.

Too bad you don’t like it. I find it quite amusing.

I agree that it’s quite amusing the first 3 runs, but you need like 20+ runs for a skins. Pretty boring.

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Esplen.3940

Lemme guess, you were born in the 90s

I dislike your overgeneralization. I was born in the 90s, but I guess I’m indifferent because my earliest memories were of the SNES (I still have Super Mario RPG and a few other classics in my parents garage).

I had a phase I think a year or two ago where I wouldn’t look at any F2P game that looked bad, but I’ve since overcome it (although I guess now that I have GW2, I don’t even need to overcome it, hehehe).

I understand what you’re getting at, though, Mr. Soulstar. The new “needs to be shiny” graphics generation is really mucking things up for the classic and unique retro style. Some can say that it doesn’t “feel” Guild Wars-ey, but it does fit in with the way Guild Wars works. It does not go out of the way to do what it does in the Guild Wars universe. Heck, 500 years ago, they played card games with holograms that battled each other [Polymock]. Based on technological advancement, this sort of thing should have happened a lot earlier in the Guild Wars universe, especially because Asura have had working G.O.L.E.M.s (AI) for over 500 hundreds. Sure, they don’t have Computers, but the Flame and Frost hinted at the Molten Alliance having a Computer, possibly being a fully automated Computer Fighting Robot (with no need for a living power source or controller).

I suppose they can’t please everybody.

Too bad you don’t like it. I find it quite amusing.

I agree that it’s quite amusing the first 3 runs, but you need like 20+ runs for a skins. Pretty boring.

I have done 10 runs that gave Bauble Bubbles (I ran more times just for fun with friends, meaning no Glorious Chest) and have gotten 61 Bauble Bubbles and one skin.

This means that in half your hyperbolic statements’ estimate, I have obtained double the expected amount. The total math of that is 4x the efficiency, meaning ~1 skin in 5 runs, by my rate of attainability.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: callidus.7085

callidus.7085

Yep, fun stuff. I’m really enjoying it, definitely a nice way to wind down after a days hard work… I like the fact that I don’t have to start playing a different game (“if i wanted to play mario, i’d play mario” lol mario doesn’t have my guildmates) to get some non-serious-just-for-fun content because I enjoy remaining connected with my guild.

Looking forward to the remaining worlds to be released ^.^

Slow down and smell the pixels.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

Isn’t this a strawman in and of itself?

I do see where people are coming from, but I personally believe that their reaction to this is somewhat overblown. Perhaps that’s because this is a sore subject with some – perhaps it’s because they feel victimised by the implementation of something that they feel strongly enough against to complain about it. However, I’m not convinced that April Fool’s joke content – regardless of the depth – should be considered as severely as some seem to want to or feel the need to – that some guard their opinions as to what should go into the game so closely that they can’t deal with joke content that’s contrary. And I think that’s why the joke works so well – because it’s so directly contrasting with a fairly vocal subset of the playerbase, but is also sincere in its delivery.

Behold: Opinions!

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Excursion.9752

Excursion.9752

I am in the minority I think that this content could have waited while other things devs should have devoted their time into such as fixing what content they currently have. I also am not a fan of content you can only play for a month. It takes away from the rest of the game because if you don’t play the content now you will miss out.

Glad you all enjoy it. I think its just a waste of time.

| 80 (Guardian) Rusty Tooth | 80 (Warrior) Razer Tooth | 80 (Ranger) Eir Stegallkin |
| 80 (Mesmer) Brook Envision | 80 (Thief) Kuro Rin |

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Grok.9725

Grok.9725

I’m with the O.P.

The visual design is great, but the gameplay got old after about 10 minutes of jumping. I know I don’t have to play it, and I won’t. I just wish the Devs used the time to create traditional MMO content rather than platform based gameplay.

Kudos to Anet for trying something different. But the jumping is getting old. Every content patch aside from the “Living Story” stuff predominantly features “jumping” as a gameplay mechanic. It was fun at first… but enough.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Wolfheart.1938

Wolfheart.1938

Lighten up a bit…? They do want players to have fun and all you know..Its just a small thing,learn to appreciate something already kitten 24/7 complainers,dont you ever get tired of yourselves ?

Never, their massive egos and feelings of entitlement are the fuel which slowly burns to keep them alive here!

It’s not entitlement nor is it ego. Shall I link you to the GW2 manifesto and remind you of the fact of 1 patch of class balancing after 7 months which still hasn’t changed much to the fact that certain classes outperform others in many ways.

I’m sure that the guys who worked on the Super Adventure Box would’ve done a great job balancing the game. /sarcasm

“We have no first-person view because stupid people would lock into it”
“You can’t have more than 10 HS decks because that would confuse people”
“30 fps is more cinematic”

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Grok.9725

Grok.9725

I’m sure that the guys who worked on the Super Adventure Box would’ve done a great job balancing the game. /sarcasm

Why not? You don’t think SAB required a game designer who had to create and manage the overall gameplay? Do you think that game designer is only proficient in designing platformers and has no skill in other types of gameplay? You don’t think the graphic designers and programmers who worked on SAB could have executed the direction of the game designer?

The employees used in the creation of the Super Adventure Box and the money used to pay them most certainly could have gone towards balancing the game.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

ophidic.1279

I’m with the O.P.

The visual design is great, but the gameplay got old after about 10 minutes of jumping. I know I don’t have to play it, and I won’t. I just wish the Devs used the time to create traditional MMO content rather than platform based gameplay.

Kudos to Anet for trying something different. But the jumping is getting old. Every content patch aside from the “Living Story” stuff predominantly features “jumping” as a gameplay mechanic. It was fun at first… but enough.

Yeah I agree with you on that one.

I’m not a huge fan of the living story or scavenger hunts, but at least that FEELS right in terms of the game and what the game entails, not like some tacked on activity for people who are too bored with the actual game to play the actual game.

Elyl Jrend

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Dante.1508

Dante.1508

I want to play both……and guess what i can

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

Maybe because they finally thought they shouldn’t put this kind of nonsense in the game? And for all the times people have said to keep super mario bros out of gw, this is kind of like a giant middle finger to everyone who doesn’t like these jumping puzzles, on top of the middle finger of the jumping puzzle advertising itself to me all month long.

What?? The middle finger comment is utterly ridiculous. It’s not like they force you to play it.

That’d be like saying any WvW only content addition would be a giant middle finger to PvE exclusive players.

That’d be like saying McDonalds adding a new burger to their menu is a middle finger to vegetarians.

That’d be like saying a store having a sale is a middle finger to people who prefer to buy used.

That really makes no sense.

@Ophidic, I consider myself a pessimist and your comment is mildly offensive :\ I do not ‘do what we do best’. I am very much enjoying the content. I am pessimistic that many of the new awesome additions will transfer into real gameplay (The giant toad boss fight is one of the best, if not the best, boss battle I’ve played in GW2).

Love the new content ANet. Keep it up!

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: proxy.7963

proxy.7963

Why not? You don’t think SAB required a game designer who had to create and manage the overall gameplay? Do you think that game designer is only proficient in designing platformers and has no skill in other types of gameplay? You don’t think the graphic designers and programmers who worked on SAB could have executed the direction of the game designer?

The employees used in the creation of the Super Adventure Box and the money used to pay them most certainly could have gone towards balancing the game.

Define ‘balance’. Josh Foreman seems to principally be a level designer and artist. I’ve mentioned elsewhere that the novel mechanics added for SAB aren’t extensive and instead the whole thing has been created from a limited set of tools which have been applied with a strong visual flourish and a familiarity with level design. I hope Josh and those that worked on this don’t take this to heart, but none of these things speak of being able to balance one set of skills against another on a mathematical level and there’s nothing to say what jobs the programmers involved would have otherwise spent their time doing. But programmers and artists don’t usually balance – that’s a designer’s job.

Frankly, if the folks who put together the SAB focus in art and level design/geography, I’d say they did exactly what their job title says they should be doing.

Behold: Opinions!

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: WatchTheShow.7203

WatchTheShow.7203

It’s closer to Legend of Zelda than it is to Mario. In Mario, you got a star for killing bosses. In Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess, and many others, you collected “upgrades” such as bombs, boomerangs, lanterns, slingshots, bow and arrows, hookshot, magnet boots, gravity boots…etc so you could kill the boss and get a heart container (which gives you a whole extra heart life, just like in SAB).

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Tobias Trueflight.8350

It’s closer to Legend of Zelda than it is to Mario. In Mario, you got a star for killing bosses. In Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time, Majora’s Mask, Wind Waker, Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess, and many others, you collected “upgrades” such as bombs, boomerangs, lanterns, slingshots, bow and arrows, hookshot, magnet boots, gravity boots…etc so you could kill the boss and get a heart container (which gives you a whole extra heart life, just like in SAB).

You don’t get those upgrades from bosses in Zelda games recently, you get them to beat the bosses. Small difference? Not really. This trend started from Link to the Past and has continued onwards. “The item you found in the dungeon has a high chance of being required to proceed inside the dungeon itself.”

On the other hand, Mario rarely requires any upgrades to navigate the levels normally.
Super Mario Galaxy was the first game I recalled where I was required to get power ups to proceed.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Jemmi.6058

Jemmi.6058

You don’t get those upgrades from bosses in Zelda games recently, you get them to beat the bosses. Small difference? Not really. This trend started from Link to the Past and has continued onwards. “The item you found in the dungeon has a high chance of being required to proceed inside the dungeon itself.”

On the other hand, Mario rarely requires any upgrades to navigate the levels normally.
Super Mario Galaxy was the first game I recalled where I was required to get power ups to proceed.

Think you need to re-read his post. He definitely said you collect the items to kill the bosses and collect a heart.

He also said that in Mario you get stars for killing bosses, but did not suggest you need anything to kill them.

SAB definitely feels more like Zelda. You also have a pointy stick (sword?) that you kill baddies with, instead of jumping on them like Mario. However, I did want to jump on them!

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: Proxcel.2596

Proxcel.2596

i find it pretty cool to have this kind of events… mostly i actually like the skins.
unlike fuss weapons which force u to play RNG with bl chests this you can actually earn it.

I was actually getting bored of world events/ dungeons but this is something new
for me to grind for few weeks before the “Next thing” come up

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

Posted by: pownguin.9205

pownguin.9205

You do realize you’re basically doing a guild wars 2 dungeon that just has jumping puzzles and looks different, right? They aren’t wasting resources.

Super box...fun?

in Super Adventure Box

ophidic.1279

What?? The middle finger comment is utterly ridiculous. It’s not like they force you to play it.

I’ll tell you why it’s a middle finger, IMO.

I UNDERSTAND I’m not forced to play it. I get that part. I don’t really do dungeons either, but I don’t complain about those so much because they are part of what I’d EXPECT from an MMORPG.

I would EXPECT a new burger on the McDonalds menu, I expect stores to have sales, and I expect content updates to both pvp and pve, regardless of which I prefer.

I DID NOT expect jumping puzzles… but they’re there. That’s not a normal thing in MMOS, but whatever, they’re hidden. That’s fine. I don’t like them but whatever. HOWEVER, These things like the Mad Kings tower, the Christmas one and now this… they’re events that are centered around these jump puzzles. Yes I KNOW I don’t have to participate, and yes, I know there’s an “easy” mode in this one, but that’s besides the point. I want a holiday event that ISN’T focused around a jumping puzzle. Lots of people want something that ISN’T another jumping puzzle.

Yet this is the third holiday event that has new jumping content, as if that’s what holiday events permanently consist of, and i’m beginning to expect disappointment… over and over and over.

That is why it’s like a middle finger.

Then they add this easy mode which is dubbed infantile mode? How condecending. They didn’t call normal mode in GW1 “infantile mode”. It’s like a slap in the face for anyone who isn’t proficient at jumping puzzles.

Elyl Jrend