[UI] OVERRIDE target is out of range

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

lets have a new tick box in the f11 options menu.
lets call it “override out of range”

once toggled, area of effect skills with a green targeting circle will activate (can be clicked) even if “out of range” except that the skills will only be activated in the max possible range.

tl; dr
yes, i want to use f1 burst skill earthshaker effectively as a movement leap skill.

so what does everyone else think?

with these new feature in, short bow thieves also can travel very quickly with Infiltrator’s Arrow short bow 5.

at the moment, we need to manually find the sweet spot and then left click, if we try to left click when out of range, nothing happens. so sad.

edit:
i am not sure where to post this.
this seems like a general feature request, not exactly profession balance.
how? O_O

(edited by Deimos Tel Arin.7391)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

TOTALLY AGREED.

i use “Fast-Cast Ground Targeting” and when trying to use at max range it always a guessing game.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

would be nice to have

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Gnat.9405

Gnat.9405

Seems like a way out of using skills effectively and intelligently.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Seems like a way out of using skills effectively and intelligently.

No, it’s a way to avoid losing distance simply because it’s too hard to find that fine-line in a fast moving environment. This would do nothing but clear up clunkiness.

Also, it would actually add some risk/reward. Your reward is obvious but the risk is casting spells you’re still not in range for. It has some give/take.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: hihey.1075

hihey.1075

So I could just place my cursor in the sky forward to let me Blink at the max possible distance?
No, I don’t like it. It’s a l2p issue and it will oversimplify things.

Pillow Cake
Worst Thief EU
One Handed One vs One Videos

in Profession Balance

ronpierce.2760

So I could just place my cursor in the sky forward to let me Blink at the max possible distance?

no… it’d need ground to even trigger just like now. It’s just if you want to get the true max distance out of your ground targets you could, and not have the mistaken “out of range” and have to re use it yada yada, it’s to fix clunkiness, not “buff” anyone. Reducing ANY amount of clunkiness in a game is a good change, especially if mechanically it doesn’t change much.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

I dont see the harm, basicly just a QoL improvement.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

I could support this. It’s annoying having to re-cast AoE spells several time because you couldn’t see the max range through the screen clutter. Or worse, you hit/missed a small bump/rock/object on the map.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Balefire.7592

Balefire.7592

This is quite simple. Use the in-between option of ground targeted and fast-cast. The range indicator circle shows up as you move your cursor.

Scrubbiest Necro NA.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flagellant

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Axialbloom.8109

Axialbloom.8109

Agreed. All other games do it because it makes sense.

in Profession Balance

ronpierce.2760

Exactly. It just simply makes sense. Making you cut off some of your distance just because of a distance cap makes certain moves feel way too clunky.

in Profession Balance

digiowl.9620

Exactly. It just simply makes sense. Making you cut off some of your distance just because of a distance cap makes certain moves feel way too clunky.

Sometimes i wonder if i fight the UI more than i fight enemies.

in Profession Balance

ronpierce.2760

That’s why you do this. :P haha just playing. I agree… UI parts get in the way a lot when ground targeting (such at HP bars), distance cut offs, clutter, yada yada. Its not the main/only issue, but it’s certainly part of the bunch.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ross Biddle.2367

Ross Biddle.2367

This feature was alive and well back in Shadowbane. I was surprised it wasn’t in GW2. I made this suggestion shortly after release. It’s a no brainer.

in Profession Balance

ronpierce.2760

This feature was alive and well back in Shadowbane. I was surprised it wasn’t in GW2. I made this suggestion shortly after release. It’s a no brainer.

^ Please keep this up near the top so they can see this. Should definitely happen. Reduces clunkiness across the entire game for every class, very good change.

in Profession Balance

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

ah thanks everyone!
finally! i have a topic that many people are actually agreeable with!

hihey,
why not? it would not hurt you one bit.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Swagg.9236

Swagg.9236

This is so bad. Proper timing and activation of targeted AoE skills based on one’s positional relation to a target is one of the very few gauges for skill in this game. By making such abilities into things that are auto-aimed for you, it wrecks that skill-based aspect.

in Profession Balance

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

This is so bad. Proper timing and activation of targeted AoE skills based on one’s positional relation to a target is one of the very few gauges for skill in this game. By making such abilities into things that are auto-aimed for you, it wrecks that skill-based aspect.

i thought you said making the game easier for everyone is good?

in Profession Balance

ronpierce.2760

Its not about AOE. Actually this would hurt aoe as if you place it too far you’d actually be ruining your own accuracy. It’s specifically useful for ground movement abilities like blink, yada yada. If you think about it, it could actually backlash a poor player using max ranged AOEs. So i think it needs to be an option. Less clunky = good.

in Profession Balance

digiowl.9620

So if i don’t 90 degree drift every turn of my commute i am a lesser human being?

This chase of “skill” has got to go…

in Profession Balance

Posted by: caveman.5840

caveman.5840

ya every lil hill and bump makes it impossible to aim aoe skills at max distance . i wish it just did not go in the red zone
so that when your mouse is out of range of your skill u can click and it will cast at the max distance . with out u finding the sweet spot where it does not hit red

your skills distance is always getting cut because of uneven ground

(edited by caveman.5840)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: kyubi.3620

kyubi.3620

when using teleportation spells such as blink and flash you generaly already are in a position where emergancy response is a necesity… wasting time on choosing the perfect range gets you killed. This doesnt promote good play this just promote a useless mechanics. Blink and flash where designed as escape moves for the purpose of evading lethal nuking. If i constantly have to aim before teleporting for a decent position im loosing precious seconds wich can be fatal to my character (even a single second can be the defrence between life and death in spvp).

Crystal Desert, The Darknest Community P.E.T.A.
BM: I want to present you my lovely jingle bear mia
If pet had voices: Mommy, I did it! :3

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Cufufalating.8479

Cufufalating.8479

The skill needed for a game should not come from how well you can battle against the mechanics and controls of the game.

They could make it so that in order to walk forward to had to tap the w key to the beat of the Star Wars soundtrack.. that would certainly take skill but that doesnt make it good design. Its just makes it annoying to play.

Cufufalating – Ranger / Part-Time Mesmer
Gunnar’s Hold

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MarzAttakz.9608

MarzAttakz.9608

Totally agree with this request, it was what I thought “fast ground targeting” would actually do when they introduced it.

YOU KNOW THERE AIN’T NO REST FOR THE WICKED, TILL WE CLOSE OUR EYES FOR GOOD.

Once proud member of Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG]{DESO4LIFE}

in Profession Balance

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

ya every lil hill and bump makes it impossible to aim aoe skills at max distance . i wish it just did not go in the red zone
so that when your mouse is out of range of your skill u can click and it will cast at the max distance . with out u finding the sweet spot where it does not hit red

your skills distance is always getting cut because of uneven ground

ya! that’s the idea of this proposal. let us target it at the max possible distance when we aim it out of range.

oh kitten i did not realize uneven terrain will cause such targeting problems.

no wonder i feel the target-able range is shorter when going up stairs.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

signed.

I often feel like i’m fighting the UI more than the game. It’s one of the worst UIs of any game. Other things I hate:

• not being able to rearrange the UI
  • the small size and placement of boons/conditions
  • having to look at opposite extremes of the screen to see my vs my enemy’s health (obvious UEX/design fail)
  • the personal story BS obscuring a large chunk of the screen
  • modal windows that block windows below them instead of coming to front
  • the many pointless dialogue windows that require manual closing
  • search filters in the auction house that don’t work (>12months after release)
    i could go on…
downed state is bad for PVP

in Profession Balance

Posted by: xsquared.1926

xsquared.1926

This seems like a good idea, though i have a few questions about it.

How will this affect hemispherical aimed skills, such as meteor storm and frost bow #4?
What will happen to other ground targeted skills such as mind stab and lava font/eruption etc. How would these react to the max radius change?

Master Ruseman. Lv80 Mesmer 10/20/0/25/15
Boon Dispenser. Lv80 Guardian 15/25/0/20/10 Boom Dispenser – Lv80 Engineer 30/30/0/10/0
Chuck Thunderstruck – Lv 80 Ele 30/10/10/10/10

in Profession Balance

digiowl.9620

The skill needed for a game should not come from how well you can battle against the mechanics and controls of the game.

They could make it so that in order to walk forward to had to tap the w key to the beat of the Star Wars soundtrack.. that would certainly take skill but that doesnt make it good design. Its just makes it annoying to play.

/signed.

in Profession Balance

digiowl.9620

How will this affect hemispherical aimed skills, such as meteor storm and frost bow #4?
What will happen to other ground targeted skills such as mind stab and lava font/eruption etc. How would these react to the max radius change?

Unless i am completely wrong, the max range of those are base on center of AOE.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: xsquared.1926

xsquared.1926

Unless i am completely wrong, the max range of those are base on center of AOE.

Sort of, with the exception that you can line up meteor storm if you use Burning retreat and cast meteor storm while doing so, effectivly pushing you at the out of range line. This allows you to eliminate a single axis of the meteor storm and makes it cast as a wall/line.

The reason for this is because Meteor Storm is a six stage channel, dropping 4 meteors each 16% of the channel done. The same applies to frost bow, except i don’t know how many stages it has, but i’m assuming its a 4 or 5 stage channel with 4/5 projectiles dropping down each stage.

This also works with mesmer portal if you want to pinpoint a location, you have to hit it at a perfect 135/215 degree angle for it to work though

Master Ruseman. Lv80 Mesmer 10/20/0/25/15
Boon Dispenser. Lv80 Guardian 15/25/0/20/10 Boom Dispenser – Lv80 Engineer 30/30/0/10/0
Chuck Thunderstruck – Lv 80 Ele 30/10/10/10/10

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Escadin.9482

Escadin.9482

signed.

I often feel like i’m fighting the UI more than the game. It’s one of the worst UIs of any game. Other things I hate:

• not being able to rearrange the UI
  • the small size and placement of boons/conditions
  • having to look at opposite extremes of the screen to see my vs my enemy’s health (obvious UEX/design fail)
  • the personal story BS obscuring a large chunk of the screen
  • modal windows that block windows below them instead of coming to front
  • the many pointless dialogue windows that require manual closing
  • search filters in the auction house that don’t work (>12months after release)
    i could go on…

+1

also
+no searchfilters for armortypes, backitems, shades
+no option to save search results or filter settings

in Profession Balance

caveman.5840

plz fix anet

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Neural.1824

Neural.1824

+1 on this one.

Where are my gem sales? I want gem sales! Nerf EVERYTHING!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sir Kaboomski.1508

Sir Kaboomski.1508

I agree with this too.. too super annoying for something like shadowstep. If I’m getting my face CC’ed off sometimes depending on the terrain it’s harder to judge when shadowstep is out of range and sometimes I end up losing valuable seconds while trying to make the kitten circle turn green.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

you get all my +1’s. a lot of ranged skills do that already (dragon’s tooth for example), only ground target AoEs can’t. it’s annoying.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Brew Pinch.5731

Brew Pinch.5731

This would be a huge quality of life improvement.

It’s not the first time it’s been suggested either. Hopefully it’s on the “to-do” list.

in Profession Balance

caveman.5840

the title of this thread should be changed to gw2 life improvement
i just want to add . traits with a cool down should have a on screen timer so we know when it is ready !

(edited by caveman.5840)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Ghostwolf.9863

Ghostwolf.9863

Would improve ground targeting a lot across the board.

+1

Thief, Engineer, Mesmer – Seafarer’s Rest (EU)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Yamsandjams.3267

Yamsandjams.3267

As an alternative, if there was some sort of system in place whereby you could only extend the targeting circle to the maximum possible range, that would possibly also accomplish what the OP desires. That would still allow you to see where you’ve targeted instead of trying to interpret the actual targeted location based on an “out of range” location.

Essentially, you could move your mouse past the maximum range distance for and ability, say Blink. However, the actual targeting circle would get stuck at 900 (or 1200 if traited) distance units so that it doesn’t cross into the red zone. That way, you can simply extend your mouse away, see the position where it’s at and click as opposed to hovering it around a bit to get it at the maximum range. If you still want to precisely target the ability, such a system doesn’t remove that.

However, this isn’t likely something that can possibly be implemented quickly, so I find it doubtful that such a system will ever exist. I think part of the design of skills like blink is to require that the user specifically target their location, thereby enabling an ability to be more powerful due to its required “skill shot”. Things like earthshaker were never supposed to be used for escaping purposes anyways, so it makes sense that it’s designed the way it is.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Creld.8702

Creld.8702

All for it here.

/banana

Asura Engineer- Aelara Fole

in Profession Balance

caveman.5840

y would u make this traited ?
this is just meant to be a simple fix to improve quality of life for everyone can’t see how it would be op if every one can use there skills at max distance it is a equal improvement for every one

insta cast could use a fix so u can click a skill with the mouse drag it and let go.
right now if u click and try to drag with insta cast . the aoe aimer gets stuck at your feet

(edited by caveman.5840)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

As an alternative, if there was some sort of system in place whereby you could only extend the targeting circle to the maximum possible range, that would possibly also accomplish what the OP desires. That would still allow you to see where you’ve targeted instead of trying to interpret the actual targeted location based on an “out of range” location.

This is a good compromise, but IMO both behaviours should be supported with a UI toggle for clamping the range of the cast instead of clamping the range of the targeting reticle.

downed state is bad for PVP

in Profession Balance

digiowl.9620

insta cast could use a fix so u can click a skill with the mouse drag it and let go.
right now if u click and try to drag with insta cast . the aoe aimer gets stuck at your feet

Not a problem with instacast, but a problem with how ground targeting interact with UI elements.

You get the very same effect if you rest the mouse over the target readout (top center), the skill bar, the top left toolbar, the chat box if it is made opaque, the map, even earlier incarnations of the top right “questbar”.

I first noticed the issue almost a year ago, reported it, and nothing has happened since.

A related effect is if you drag the mouse onto a UI element after “readying” a cast (have a AOE circle following the mouse). If cast, the game will give you a “out of range” error and the relevant skill will go on cooldown.

in Profession Balance

caveman.5840

oops not insta cast … but fast cast range indicator…
the aoe aimer gets stuck at your feet .

in Profession Balance

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

Essentially, you could move your mouse past the maximum range distance for and ability, say Blink. However, the actual targeting circle would get stuck at 900 (or 1200 if traited) distance units so that it doesn’t cross into the red zone. That way, you can simply extend your mouse away, see the position where it’s at and click as opposed to hovering it around a bit to get it at the maximum range. If you still want to precisely target the ability, such a system doesn’t remove that.

However, this isn’t likely something that can possibly be implemented quickly, so I find it doubtful that such a system will ever exist. I think part of the design of skills like blink is to require that the user specifically target their location, thereby enabling an ability to be more powerful due to its required “skill shot”. Things like earthshaker were never supposed to be used for escaping purposes anyways, so it makes sense that it’s designed the way it is.

a third alternative would be a combination of both.

if i move my green targeting circle out of range, it will become red, but a yellow targeting circle will show the actual targeted area.

in Profession Balance

caveman.5840

ooo i am liking the sound of that .
but it should be if u click the yellow it will auto cast at max distance
or something like that

in Profession Balance

Deimos Tel Arin.7391

ooo i am liking the sound of that .
but it should be if u click the yellow it will auto cast at max distance
or something like that

ya ya! that’s the idea!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Juba.8406

Juba.8406

any news/response from ANet about this option ?