[sPvP]Thieves: gameplay, concerns, possible solutions [merged]

in Profession Balance

Posted by: dylan.5409

dylan.5409

“Your own incompetence”
Yes because like fighting ai, stealth places close to the entire skill burden on the toon without that ability.
And by skill, I mean running around mashing 1 /pbaoe’s or trying to get out of backstab range (gl).

(edited by dylan.5409)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MercilessLemurs.7459

MercilessLemurs.7459

The skill is in predicting an invisible theifs location.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MercilessLemurs.7459

MercilessLemurs.7459

Which is your back btw. So it doesn’t take a lot of skill, which is why it’s because of your incompetence.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Solstice.1097

Solstice.1097

Ranger can’t kill a thief. Ever.
That skill that disrupts stealth? Doesn’t work. No point having it.

It’s easy with a Mesmer or Necro however. That low health pool melts like butter under a condi Necro.

Good rangers can.

Good rangers can not kill a good thief.

+1

good trap rangers can. thieves never expect a huge trap condi bomb, and rarely have the removal to deal with it.

in Profession Balance

dylan.5409

Sry but traps are terrible, soon to be worse with the possibility of 50% damage reduction while stealthed.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

Sry but traps are terrible, soon to be worse with the possibility of 50% damage reduction while stealthed.

That only applies to normal damage. Conditions still melt thieves. hint hint

in Profession Balance

Posted by: psizone.8437

psizone.8437

Ranger can’t kill a thief. Ever.
That skill that disrupts stealth? Doesn’t work. No point having it.

It’s easy with a Mesmer or Necro however. That low health pool melts like butter under a condi Necro.

Good rangers can.

Good rangers can not kill a good thief.

That kind of attitude annoys me, I’m sorry but that’s simply not true.

I roam all the time with my ranger and thieves always target me looking for a free kill. Countless fights with thieves give you ample time to learn how they attack and how to combat them. Rangers have more than enough dodges, conditions and healing power to kill thieves, it isn’t quick, but if they stay to actually fight, it’s entirely possible to kill a thief with a ranger. I’m not saying I win every time, but a good percentage of my fair duels with thieves end in my favour.

About 80% of the enemies on my friends list that have added me after duels are thieves. Thief vs Ranger duels are some of the most intense and fun fights you can have in this game.

On topic, every class if built right can kill thieves. If you aren’t built for fighting them and other roaming classes then you’ll struggle though.

Brotherhood of Blub [blub]

in Profession Balance

Posted by: naphack.9346

naphack.9346

When I roam as a thief, I tend to avoid engineers like the plague.
If I see an engineer approaching me, I typically run or at least don’t engage fully and always keep a good retreat option at hand.

that has various reasons. First off, it’s hard to make an engineer, which doesn’t “accidentally” have access to numerous control skills. Control skills make things hard for thieves, but let’s be more specific here.

Condition engis eat thieves for breakfast. As soon, as a thief got both burning and confusion as well as poison, he is pretty much toast.

Static discharge engis? In a straight up glass canon vs glass canon battle, the static discharge engi will win many if not all of the matchups. Dagger thieves just can’t compete here. Bear in mind, that a sword thief might actually have a fighting chance against an SD engi.

Nade or Bomb engi? Will just keep spamming his feet. Thief can’t engage without getting instantly vaporized.

Let’s go even further.
What kind of skills does engi have, which screw thieves over?
rifle: insta cast knock back, which can be covered with an autoattack to remove blinds, high burst against immobile targets with jump, root skill with net, big burst at point blank… This thing kills thieves by itself, alright?
Pistols: Conditions, conditions and more conditions. Needless to say, anything with conditions is bad news for thieves.

kits:
Flamethrower got an instant knockback, an instant blind and some great damage potential, while it can also deliver quite a big burning burst with the toolbelt skill.
It’s not that much of a threat, compared to the alternatives, but it’s still strong.

Tool Kit got an annoying block, some confusion application and a bleeding field, which can cleanse blinds effectively. The pull is icing on the cake, but can be quite potent.

Nades and bombs are the bane of any glass canon melees.

Turrets:
Turrets in general are a pain to deal with, cause as soon, as the thief becomes visible, the turrets will lock on to him and fire. Flame turret is particularly nasty, because… Well… It burns.

Interestingly, there’s also those utility goggles, hardly anyone seems to use, which grant immunity to blind.

bottom line, pretty much everything about the engi spells doom for the thief.

Some other classes:
Power necros are strong against dagger bursters but weak against pistol whip spammers.
Condition necros, on the other hand, just eat any thief.

Guardians have been mentioned as weak versus thieves before. Actually, theoretically, there is a build, utilizing loads of burning and condition damage gear. However, hardly anyone plays like this.

Mesmers are so-so. In a straight up duel, the mesmer got the upper hand. In a small group fight, however, the thief can ruin the day for the mesmer pretty badly. It’s not as much of a hard counter as it is the mesmer simply being the best 1v1 class.

Warriors are a joke. I’ve never ran from a solo warrior with my thief. Ever.

Rangers can be a pain in the kitten , but usually they aren’t. That’s mostly due to the ranger class being incredibly hard to play properly. A good ranger, however, will tear any thief apart.

Eles? Come on, who am I trying to kid. If the stars align, the thief will bite the dust and else the ele will. This matchup is rather hard to predict due to the ele skills being very hard to land properly. If most attacks find their mark, the thief is dead, else, the ele is. Simple as that.

Thief vs thief? If there is a winner, it’s usually the thief, I’d say…

The only crime, turrets committed, is being good against the celestial meta.
The mob has spoken and the turrets shall be burnt at the stake.

in Profession Balance

dylan.5409

If you aren’t built for fighting them and other roaming classes then you’ll struggle though.[/quote]

Agree 100%. Regen bm is the way to go, otherwise your pretty much hooped vs thieves.

in Profession Balance

dylan.5409

That only applies to normal damage. Conditions still melt thieves. hint hint

True but there is a physical damage component to traps. They are balanced between phy and cond. Lose 50% of 1 part and your left with 3 underpowered utilities.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: WhiteRose.6934

WhiteRose.6934

Everyone can kill a thief. This isn’t a card game where one card beats another. It’s a game where if you suck then you lose, if you don’t suck you win.

“Who actually puts forth the effort to learn how to fight thieves?” – Is actually a question worth asking, as clearly it’s not the majority of players.

If you aren’t built for the encounter or prepared as a player, don’t be surprised when you lose.

Genesis Theory [GT] – Henge of Denravi

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

In short: Only guardians can’t.

lolwut.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

My ele can’t wait until “Stone heart” is a thing, and will likewise enjoy the snack.

I shuddered when I saw that.
That was the smartest counter to backstab ArenaNet ever added in the game.

Yea, now the thief will have to actually pay attention to their opponent rather than just attacking mindlessly into a strong defense.

Good thieves will find a way to play around it, but it will make the fight between ele and thief much more even.

I just trust myself to be better than most thieves, who are pretty predictable.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ThiBash.5634

ThiBash.5634

Yea, now the thief will have to actually pay attention to their opponent rather than just attacking mindlessly into a strong defense.

Good thieves will find a way to play around it, but it will make the fight between ele and thief much more even.

I just trust myself to be better than most thieves, who are pretty predictable.

So instead of balancing the elementalist, they made the balance between eles and thieves rest on a single skill. That’s just lazy, not good design.

If you can read this then it is proof that ArenaNet’s moderators just, kind and fair.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

Stone heart is diamond skin 2.0
As useless and situational as the other.

It will be more frequent to meet a full sentinel thief that an ele with that trait in www…

P.S: nobody not even another thief can kill a thief…
The defense generated by stealth+ mobility has 0 counterplay…only an unreactable burst would work.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

So instead of balancing the elementalist, they made the balance between eles and thieves rest on a single skill. That’s just lazy, not good design.

Well this just gives eles access to a source of defense that covers one of their major weaknesses.

There are other options, but not if you build for dps. If you build tanky, you can handle burst pretty well, already.

I don’t think its lazy design, because it makes the fight much more involved, and a game of cat and mouse, trying to strike during windows of opportunity when the opponent is most vulnerable. It also very active because it involves playing predictably/reactively. Obviously, an ele that just sits in earth is going to lose, but intelligent rotation through attunements can tip the favor of the battle in his favor. I think its excellent design.

Thief goes into stealth and you’re expecting an incoming burst —> swap to earth for prot and prevent crits, and wait to counter-burst yourself. Your opponent now needs to set up another burst before you can get back into earth, or even force you out with sustained damage to pressure you into water for some heals. He then has to play around your dodges/other defenses as well.

We’ll see how it actually is, but I have high hopes.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: rekkis.5938

rekkis.5938

In short: Only guardians can’t.

lolwut.

my dps guard disagrees.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Junkpile.7439

Junkpile.7439

Good tips. Run around, swing air like idiots and hope that thief is blind upscaled glass cannon who doesn’t yet know what dodge is.

Low quality trolling since launch
Seafarer’s Rest EotM grinch

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Overkillengine.6084

Overkillengine.6084

Good tips. Run around, swing air like idiots and hope that thief is blind upscaled glass cannon who doesn’t yet know what dodge is.

Happens more often than you’d think. A lot of them also don’t get that they have buttons to spam with dagger other than 2, 2, 2, 2, 2…..they’ll even open with it out of stealth!

But seriously; tag them with conditions (save the good ones for after they unwisely burn what removal they have), realize that your attacks don’t require target lock to hit them, realize that invis is not invuln, and realize you can’t run glass nearly as much on non stealth classes in pvp unless you have really good reflexes or you’ll just end up attracting vultures, I mean, thieves from miles away for the free kill.

in Profession Balance

LordByron.8369

In PvP you have to stay in a small area, in www invisibility is possibly stronger than invulnerability.

You can see an invulnerable player, see how much invulnerability is left and prepare a tactic both offensive and defensive.

GW2 balance:
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: SoulSin.5682

SoulSin.5682

In PvP you have to stay in a small area, in www invisibility is possibly stronger than invulnerability.

You can see an invulnerable player, see how much invulnerability is left and prepare a tactic both offensive and defensive.

Stealth lasts for 3~4 seconds.
Only exception for this rule is Shadow trap, that lasts 1 second more, for… reasons?
Shadow Refuge are 4~5 stacks of stealth, but its still 3~4 seconds each.

And you can take measures against stealth, a lot of people do it already.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: jihm.2315

jihm.2315

guardians can kill a thief but only when you play a one dimensional and selfish meditation build but shouts and consecrations are the only reason i play guard

action combat made mmos better lol

in Profession Balance

LordByron.8369

GW2 balance:

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

1 year ago i reroll my ele as a thief counter …
And now im thief breakfast .

If you’re an ele you are everyone’s breakfest

and sometimes snack.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Amonatory.2453

Amonatory.2453

It will be more frequent to meet a full sentinel thief that an ele with that trait in www…

The defense generated by stealth+ mobility has 0 counterplay…only an unreactable burst would work.

Wut..

in Profession Balance

Posted by: FinalPatriot.8034

FinalPatriot.8034

I had a random battle with a thief last night from SoS which lasted for about 10 minutes before some other zerg got in between us. Granted, I play a “stealth” mesmer which probably helped a good bit but from my experience, it’s all about know what skills they have and when they will likely employ those against you. For me, I would just try to time my stealth so that he would always be unprotected while I still have a few seconds of stealth left. With 3 clones out, those few seconds are deadly.

Laura Seranus – Mesmer –
“Shatter Me!”
“I am become death, the destroyer of worlds.”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: GoodWithGravy.8019

GoodWithGravy.8019

Stone heart is really underwhelming, because attuning to earth reduces an Eles outgoing damage by much more than it reduces its incoming damage, even against crit builds. So whilst it makes you less vulnerable to focus, and burst, unless your opponent has long cooldowns on their burst, making them another Ele, they are at a net advantage. Also, for those who still havn’t realised, doesn’t work with lingering elements.

The fight basically plays this way:
- Thief stealths and an Ele is aware, pop earth attunement, Thief uses tactical strike, doesn’t crit, still takes out a decent chunk of Ele’s hp.
- Ele can now try to kill the Thief before they stealth again or sit in earth to reduce the incoming 2 spam, maybe pop some utilities that will be back up in a few hours.
-If the Ele stays in earth, it does not have any way of damaging the thief the Thief, the thief just 2 spams it down, it is now dead.
-If the Ele swaps out of earth, it is now just as squishy as it always has been, also earth isn’t available again for ~12 seconds, revealed wears off in ~3. Thief either bursts down Ele, or if it gets hurt stealths. Earth attunement is still a long way from cool-down.
-If the Ele specced water it can try and heal but not having much in arcana means stone heart is miles off, and the thief is about to use another tactical strike, so the Ele is about to be instagibbed.
-Alternatively the Ele specced 30 arcana, but therefore either had no points in water and therefore no hp and didn’t even last this long, or it took vit gear and had no damage, so the thief didn’t need to stealth in the first place. See the second point.
-Alternatively the Ele may have not gone full bunker and traited neither Arcana or Water to go with their 30 earth, they are very dead.
-GG. Such wow. #Elepocalypse.

Fighting theives on Ele will be the same as it always has, dodge the spike, never eat it.

For backstab theives, whilst you can’t chase them down very well (hurr durr on thief running away counts as a death, disengaging isn’t OP etc etc) , I find Necro to be a good counter. Standing in Fear marks prevents backstabs (and unlike Aegis or a dodge, it doesn’t just mean all they have to do is press 1 again), and if you do get a thief low and they only just manage to stealth up, just pop into death shroud and drop 5 and then 4 on them. You can also use fears to prevent panic stealth’s. Harder time against pistol whip cheese.

Sceptre mesmer is pretty funny against 2 spam thieves, confusion (3) wrecks them, the second skill blocks backstabs, blink gets you out of a steal ambush, and you can counter stealth with stealth. If you run PU though, be prepared for thieves to complain about how your stealth is OP. Also a reasonable bet against spvp pistol whip cheese. I keep sceptres in my bag for every type of WvW build I run just for the thief troll factor.

Depending on player skill every class can beat a thief.

/thread

Personally, I think when considering profession balance we should probably not consider a skill imbalance because that’s not very…….balanced…..
There is a reason why so many top tier mesmers rerolled thief, and there is also a reason why the number of Eles there can be counted on one hand.

(edited by GoodWithGravy.8019)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Shaogin.2679

Shaogin.2679

I love thieves. They are so deadly and survive through stealth and evades. However, catch one in a cc chain and he drops like a fly. I have only met a few “good” thieves on my Necro, and those were fun fights. Point is, Thief not op, wish people would stop filling this forum page with garbage. >. <

Doc Von Doom – Asuran Necromancer
Gate of Madness
Contribute to the Wiki MetaBattle Builds

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Maugetarr.6823

Maugetarr.6823

This part is pretty wrong. Thieves often go out of their way to challenge/kill other thieves. First of all it protects the squishies and people who don’t know how to react to thieves on their team, and second, it establishes a pecking order where thieves can compare their skills to others, especially since thieves main goal is DPS since there are limited control or support options within the class.

Sometimes these thief versus thief fights are determined by luck or build, but a lot of the time prediction and reaction time determine the winner.

Blank Players [BDL]-Anvil Rock
Maugen Rawr- Thief/Ele
Rebalance Ideas for Thief

(edited by Maugetarr.6823)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Feaduin.7603

Feaduin.7603

I agree every profession can beat a thief and a thief can beat every profession playing on an equal skill level. There are no real hard counters built into the class mechanics in this game but builds do matter, a glass staff ele back line build is not going to going to take on a b/s thief while a dd or sd ele has a chance.

I think that there are two main sources of frustration with thief:
1. They combine superior stealth ability with very good OOC and in combat mobility.
2. They combine stealth with very damaging burst.

The second of these two points can be countered by maintaining good situational awareness. But the first point really hits at the root of most of the current class balance debates in GW2, mobility. The most cried about professions in Guild Wars also happen to be the most mobile and mobility was also at the heart of the now legendary eleocalypse. So maybe the question should not be “Who can kill a thief” but rather “Who can catch a thief that does not want to be caught?” I think that thief does in fact need to be very mobile in order to fulfill some of its intended class roles such as scouting; however, the balance team might want to consider making entering combat more committing for the thief without ruining the essential flavor of the profession.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

Seven or eight months ago I took a break for GW2. It was easy to do, there are other games out there, and I was tired of playing a game where the answer to the question, “who can kill a thief?” was “another thief”

…and all this time later, the answer is the same.

Is everyone ok with this? Is it acceptable that one thief can kill four or five people without any risk of dying? If anything goes bad they just stealth, run away, come back and kill anyone who’s left standing…

…and don’t tell me there’s no such thing as permanent stealth. They attack walls.. whatever… just poof gone. I’ve fought mesmers that do this too. Poof, gone, and minutes later they’re right back where you saw them last.

Are they hacking? great… then there’s that too….

How has this game held on so long? Why are people still playing it?

It it just ‘cause it’s free? ‘cause that’s about the only reason I’m here.

You need to specify between PvP or WvW. Otherwise it just seems like you are here to QQ.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: style.6173

style.6173

and sometimes snack.

Not in WvW.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Fanta.8049

Fanta.8049

and sometimes snack.

Not in WvW.

Yes ,that’s right bro ,ele still have change to win in wvw ,but dont try in pvp.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Travis the Terrible.4739

Travis the Terrible.4739

and sometimes snack.

Not in WvW.

I eat eles like cookie monster eats cookies in wvw on my warrior regardless of what set up I run. Only time I don’t kill an ele in wvw is when the enemies zerg is bigger.

Follow the darkness into the depths, it’s more fun than the light can provide.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Arlette.9684

Arlette.9684

Condi Bunker Ranger is prolly the second easiest for me to kill Thieves with after my Guardian so uuum yea they’re doable.

For your consideration though:
http://www.twitch.tv/phantaram/c/3823520

Videos speak better than words

Moira Dreamweaver lvl 80 Guardian [TG], Sky Mira lvl 80 Ranger [TG]
Isle of Janthir
All is Vain

(edited by Arlette.9684)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: T raw.4658

T raw.4658

The other 7 classes

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Solori.6025

Solori.6025

and sometimes snack.

Not in WvW.

I eat eles like cookie monster eats cookies in wvw on my warrior regardless of what set up I run. Only time I don’t kill an ele in wvw is when the enemies zerg is bigger.

I have that same experience on my 4 toons as well..
Hell even my ranger does fine fighting ele’s.

The world needs more KUNG FURY!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS5P_LAqiVg

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Crimsonfantasy.3284

Crimsonfantasy.3284

oh, If you know the strategy the thief uses to kill person, you will not be killed in no clue and no perception.
I give you a tip to count thief.
If you recognize you striked by thief, spam controlling skill and do massive damage.
If you play the profession that have little contolling skill, try to steath after the thief steath themself. Hope to my stratagy advance your chance of life.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Thieves die to spammable CC classes like necro/burst guardian/engineer.

Hammer+axe/mace warrior also has plenty of enough cc on top of really high damage.

The problem is that a smart thief won’t stay. He will reset the fight until the opponent is out of cooldowns, and since initiative regens far faster than the opponent’s defenses do, a patient thief can kill anything that’s not an engineer.

Engineers just happen to be a godly dueling class, their only real counters being a necro.

Mesmers/Rangers/Ele have no real low cd CC or easy to land burst (shatter is so easily telegraphed, as are phantasms, and ele skills are even more telegraphed; ranger just doesn’t have burst after they gutted the ravens). So they can’t down a good thief.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Sube Dai.8496

Sube Dai.8496

If I had a gold for everyone I see in WvW who stops attacking the moment a thief goes into stealth…

This.

And to those who think power rangers can’t kill thieves…

This.

John Snowman [GLTY]
Space Marine Z [GLTY]

in Profession Balance

LordByron.8369

If i had a gold for every player trying to kill an invisible thief

I would be at least 10 times richer than hayashi.

Many don t even try no more..since its like winning the lottery (thief can evade in stealth and is healing also probably).

GW2 balance:

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zacchary.6183

Zacchary.6183

If i had a gold for every player trying to kill an invisible thief

I would be at least 10 times richer than hayashi.

Many don t even try no more..since its like winning the lottery (thief can evade in stealth and is healing also probably).

If it was like the lottery I would probably be at least as rich as bill gates by now. Thats all because I main it and know how it works.

To the comment below,

Those videos shows its not that hard to kill bad players with a thief. Now, if players actually got on one themselves and played it till 80 and then some, all of that hearsay will slowly degrade into the BS it really is because during that time you start understanding the profession’s weaknesses.

This is something that thieves have been saying since they started spamming “L2P”: Play the kitten profession if its so OP/broken.

That’s what thieves have wanted for the past year. Humor us for once.

But just a tip before you do. Use d/d conditions (DB + caltrops) and bleed them all to death. The build doesn’t allow for any stationary movement making the chance for a successful backstab almost 0%. The constant dodging will make any spam they use ineffective. And it is the best form of AoE bleeding (weakness you will soon know about) in the game providing constant stacks of bleeding and cripple that thieves will not be able to clear easily.

After you guys “L2P”, look back at all of the videos showing thieves killing people and watch those who are dying. You will start seeing all the things they didn’t do and eventually come to the conclusion that they were more than likely bad.

Again we ask you to just play one and see for yourself.

(edited by Zacchary.6183)

in Profession Balance

LordByron.8369

You probably don t…..people posted so many videos to disprove that theory that is not even Worth trying.

Point is we are discussing the same stuff or 2 years ago….no wonder GW2 is so far from being a competitive game…

GW2 balance:

in Profession Balance

Posted by: phaeris.7604

phaeris.7604

Now the guy is a very good player, but really, it shows when used well stealth (and everything that comes with it) is just insanely strong. A thief in the right hands far outshines other professions due to its mechanics.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jackums.3496

Jackums.3496

Most Guardian builds, and condi Engineers.
Power and condi Necros, and phantasm Mesmers.
CC Warriors.

In that order.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: NinjaEd.3946

NinjaEd.3946

Everyone can kill a thief. This isn’t a card game where one card beats another. It’s a game where if you suck then you lose, if you don’t suck you win.

“Who actually puts forth the effort to learn how to fight thieves?” – Is actually a question worth asking, as clearly it’s not the majority of players.

If you aren’t built for the encounter or prepared as a player, don’t be surprised when you lose.

If this was a Q&A, this post would be the answer.

Thieves aren’t op, most people just don’t have the patience and don’t care to learn things. This has gone on so long they try to mock anyone who uses “L2P” as if it isn’t valid anymore.

“I’m waiting for the staff to get off their lunch
break. I feel like they should be back by now..”

in Profession Balance

Posted by: phaeris.7604

phaeris.7604

Not really, that answer is completely illogical. It implies no matter the skill of the thief, if you play your class well, you’ll always win.

I played a thief, it’s the best roaming class in the game, stealth is just so strong and confers so many benefits to the user.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Corpse Flakes.5369

Corpse Flakes.5369

Phantasm sword-mesmers can kill thieves. Phantasms target-lock, and the swordsmen jump away after each hit so the stealth AoE blind is useless.

Every time they destealth they take an instant 8000-14000 damage without the mesmer actually doing anything else. Stealth also does not break the phantasm interrupt-cast.

The one-hit wonder elementalist build can kill anything if you don’t avoid its attack. It’s pretty much a guaranteed 24,000+ damage on zerk thieves. Elementalists with any survivability stat however, have no chance. But those die to everything else in a 1v1 of equal skill anyway so it’s more an issue of Elementalists being weak in 1v1 pvp content.

Condition rangers can kill thieves; the backstab does negligible damage against full Dire. Power rangers are just asking to die. To pretty much anything.

Necros can Fear thieves out of stealth and condition-blast it to death before its Revealed status can fade.

Bomb engineers kill them very easily because approaching a bomb engineer to melee it is asking for death in 3 seconds.

Warriors can kill thieves if they spot them first, and then use Kill Shot for a guaranteed one shot kill if the thief doesn’t evade. If the Kill Shot fails, the warrior dies unless the thief is really, really bad.

Of course, thieves can kill other thieves.

In short: Only guardians can’t. There are guardians the thieves can’t kill but those can’t kill the thieves either; it’s a permanent stalemate.

The thing about thieves is not that they’re necessarily that strong in 1v1, but that using stealth they can force a 1v1 even when outnumbered all the time. Against players who don’t know how to counter stealth, it’s a death sentence. If a group has 4 warriors then without a doubt all 4 will die one by one unless the thief fails.

There are hackers of course. And yes, you can’t kill them, of course. That has nothing to do with the class though…

Try a Power Medi guardian they kill thiefs so easy it isn’t funny. I main a thief so maybe that’s why I can kill them. Killing thiefs is a L2P issue.

-BelieveGate-

Anet please nerf Paper, Scissors is fine -Rock.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Arlette.9684

Arlette.9684

Phantasm sword-mesmers can kill thieves. Phantasms target-lock, and the swordsmen jump away after each hit so the stealth AoE blind is useless.

Every time they destealth they take an instant 8000-14000 damage without the mesmer actually doing anything else. Stealth also does not break the phantasm interrupt-cast.

The one-hit wonder elementalist build can kill anything if you don’t avoid its attack. It’s pretty much a guaranteed 24,000+ damage on zerk thieves. Elementalists with any survivability stat however, have no chance. But those die to everything else in a 1v1 of equal skill anyway so it’s more an issue of Elementalists being weak in 1v1 pvp content.

Condition rangers can kill thieves; the backstab does negligible damage against full Dire. Power rangers are just asking to die. To pretty much anything.

Necros can Fear thieves out of stealth and condition-blast it to death before its Revealed status can fade.

Bomb engineers kill them very easily because approaching a bomb engineer to melee it is asking for death in 3 seconds.

Warriors can kill thieves if they spot them first, and then use Kill Shot for a guaranteed one shot kill if the thief doesn’t evade. If the Kill Shot fails, the warrior dies unless the thief is really, really bad.

Of course, thieves can kill other thieves.

In short: Only guardians can’t. There are guardians the thieves can’t kill but those can’t kill the thieves either; it’s a permanent stalemate.

The thing about thieves is not that they’re necessarily that strong in 1v1, but that using stealth they can force a 1v1 even when outnumbered all the time. Against players who don’t know how to counter stealth, it’s a death sentence. If a group has 4 warriors then without a doubt all 4 will die one by one unless the thief fails.

There are hackers of course. And yes, you can’t kill them, of course. That has nothing to do with the class though…

Try a Power Medi guardian they kill thiefs so easy it isn’t funny. I main a thief so maybe that’s why I can kill them. Killing thiefs is a L2P issue.

Pretty much this, Medi Guardian is prolly the easiest class to kill a thief with.

Moira Dreamweaver lvl 80 Guardian [TG], Sky Mira lvl 80 Ranger [TG]
Isle of Janthir
All is Vain

in Profession Balance

dylan.5409

Power/Med guardian, sure, as other posters have pointed out, crazy burst or cc is needed to kill a thief before the reset. So as long as everything lands you can do ok. Burst on cd? (judges intervention is what 40sec?) Med guardians suffer the same fate as other zerkers in the hands of a thief