[sPvP]Thieves: gameplay, concerns, possible solutions [merged]

in Profession Balance

Posted by: TwinFrozr.6214

TwinFrozr.6214

I strongly agree to this, it annoys me a lot in WvW. There are often small groups of 2 thieves and possibly a mesmer standing close to the spawn point, taking out everything coming in their way if there isn’t an entire zerg facing them (well, then they just enter stealth and get away safely). Fun thing is that like 70-80% of the thieves I’m actually seeing there have ranks like Invader, Soldier or Assaulter. It makes me feel bad about wasting tons of time on a ranger when I just can choose a thief and win.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Fortus.6175

Fortus.6175

but I can guarantee you that the VAST najority of the players in gw2 would gladly have balance classes over toxic, unbalanced, annoying classes such as thieves currently.

That statement is equal bias as you should only speak for yourself not the vast “najorities”

Would it make you feel better if the thief whispered “surprise” first?

Please show me a thread where people want classes to remain unbalanced and toxic. Up until now, both ingame and in forums I have never heard anyone (serious) state that they want such toxic and unbalanced game.

Im sorry, but I dont think that is a bias, it is simple truth corroborated by the countless threads and commenters asking for balance. Everyone have different views on whats out of balance, but as proved by upvotes and threads about the topic; thieves and warriors are indeed out of balance, plain a simple.

[GoM] Gate of Madness Server Elementalist|Guardian
Legendary SoloQ

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

but I can guarantee you that the VAST najority of the players in gw2 would gladly have balance classes over toxic, unbalanced, annoying classes such as thieves currently.

That statement is equal bias as you should only speak for yourself not the vast “najorities”

Would it make you feel better if the thief whispered “surprise” first?

Please show me a thread where people want classes to remain unbalanced and toxic. Up until now, both ingame and in forums I have never heard anyone (serious) state that they want such toxic and unbalanced game.

Im sorry, but I dont think that is a bias, it is simple truth corroborated by the countless threads and commenters asking for balance. Everyone have different views on whats out of balance, but as proved by upvotes and threads about the topic; thieves and warriors are indeed out of balance, plain a simple.

Show me a thread without subjective view of balance first. Just because a portion of a obvious minority (forum viewers) does not equal the total picture. Not arguing whether or not imbalances exist, but the fact that your statement is colored by your preference in profession.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Please show me a thread where people want classes to remain unbalanced and toxic.

You know, maybe the bias is not in the fact people might want or not the presence of toxic unbalanced classes, but that the thief is toxic and/or unbalanced in the first place.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MidoriMarch.8067

MidoriMarch.8067

thief is meant to be the best single target dps class..

seems like you dont understand the concept of thief.

tbh warrior have everything mobility/high hp pool/damage/toughness etc

go play a thief and see how hard it is to be a good thief unlike easy warriors can faceplam everything.

thief is the only class that are less forgiving if u make a single mistake it can leads to death

in Profession Balance

Posted by: P Fun Daddy.1208

P Fun Daddy.1208

go play a thief and see how hard it is to be a good thief unlike easy warriors can faceplam everything.

thief is the only class that are less forgiving if u make a single mistake it can leads to death

Elementalist says hi.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Dual.8953

Dual.8953

Please show me a thread where people want classes to remain unbalanced and toxic.

You know, maybe the bias is not in the fact people might want or not the presence of toxic unbalanced classes, but that the thief is toxic and/or unbalanced in the first place.

And if thieves get nerfed to the point that they’re no longer “considered” the best roamer? Where will they go after that?

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Profession Balance

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

And if thieves get nerfed to the point that they’re no longer “considered” the best roamer? Where will they go after that?

They go share a CDI thread with the Ranger I guess.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: MidoriMarch.8067

MidoriMarch.8067

Elementalist says hi.

my elementalist got no prob having fights 1vsX

ele got massive burst heal and can wreck your face if played right.

but its true and i agree that ele needs a bit of buff.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Thedenofsin.7340

Thedenofsin.7340

Then thieves will have to compete with Elementalists and Mesmers for the role of roamer on the team.

Then we may see more diverse team compositions. OH THE HORROR!

in Profession Balance

Dual.8953

Then thieves will have to compete with Elementalists and Mesmers for the role of roamer on the team.

Then it becomes a battle of group fight utility. Can thieves even compete with the class that is considered the closest GW2 has to a healer, and the class that was previously mandatory due to its extreme utility?

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Profession Balance

Posted by: P Fun Daddy.1208

P Fun Daddy.1208

Elementalist says hi.

my elementalist got no prob having fights 1vsX

ele got massive burst heal and can wreck your face if played right.

but its true and i agree that ele needs a bit of buff.

I was more referring to the “thief is the only class that are less forgiving if u make a single mistake it can leads to death” which is a little off. An equivalently geared ele will always be much squishier than a thief, mostly because of stealth but also because of shadowsteps and that tiny armor boost.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

why should elementalist be a better roamer than theif, when thats the only thing theif can do.
Ele has massive AOE massive blast finishers acess to like 5 different fields(the most useful ones at that), massive support, tanky hard to kill builds that can cap.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

Then it becomes a battle of group fight utility. Can thieves even compete with the class that is considered the closest GW2 has to a healer, and the class that was previously mandatory due to its extreme utility?

Thieves have plenty of utility. Shadow Refuge, for example.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: quercus.9261

quercus.9261

It is hilarious to see thieves effect on the game in WvW. They are absolutely apex predators. You can tell by the response of the bunch of mammals behind the keyboards: defensive herding just like a pack of buffalo.

in Profession Balance

Dual.8953

It is hilarious to see thieves effect on the game in WvW. They are absolutely apex predators. You can tell by the response of the bunch of mammals behind the keyboards: defensive herding just like a pack of buffalo.

Are you really saying zergs exist because of thieves? Is that really your arguement?
These are the reasons Zerging is a thing in WvW.
1) Capturing most objectives within minutes.
2) Big rewards for little effort.
3) The enemy zergs.
4) AoE damage can be mitigated by stacking.
5) Pugs are naturally drawn towards Commanders.

In addition, there are a wide variety of classes that roam regularly aside from Thieves. And better yet, almost all of them save for maybe Ranger can zerg well too. On top of that Eles and Mesmer both have a massive effect on their zergs, and they’re considered decent and great roamers respectively.
Lastly, this isn’t a WvW debate. This is strictly about SPvP and TPvP.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Profession Balance

Posted by: ens.9854

ens.9854

When every profession can defend themselves adequately against every other profession EXCEPT thief, there is a problem.

This thread is not about who should be the best roamer or single target DPS. It is about how thieves, by leaps and bounds more than other professions, can totally ignore the defensive mechanics used by other professions for survival to the point where running a berserker build ceases to be an option.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: quercus.9261

quercus.9261

Are you really saying zergs exist because of thieves? Is that really your arguement?
These are the reasons Zerging is a thing in WvW.
1) Capturing most objectives within minutes.
2) Big rewards for little effort.
3) The enemy zergs.
4) AoE damage can be mitigated by stacking.
5) Pugs are naturally drawn towards Commanders.

In addition, there are a wide variety of classes that roam regularly aside from Thieves. And better yet, almost all of them save for maybe Ranger can zerg well too. On top of that Eles and Mesmer both have a massive effect on their zergs, and they’re considered decent and great roamers respectively.
Lastly, this isn’t a WvW debate. This is strictly about SPvP and TPvP.

I’m gunna answer anyways because I am a rebel

Yes I ascribe all the herding behaviours in WvW to the threat of unseen apex predators. There are lots of parallels: warriors and guardians as bull elephants guarding the herd, up levels as young animals and preferred targets, thieves as unseen lions lurking in the grass.

They don’t need to be out there just the threat of the unseen is enough. These are ancient fears and ancient behaviours. Why do you think thieves are hated so much?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

I like how this thread is about sPvP but people bring up WvW to complain about thieves.

Which is it because thieves are far from OP in sPvP and the other two classes complaining about losing spots in sPvP FAR outclass them in WvW.

I don’t even thief and find killing them EASY and effortless…in fact it’s sad how bad the class really is once you learn how to fight them

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Black Teagan.9215

Black Teagan.9215

When every profession can defend themselves adequately against every other profession EXCEPT thief, there is a problem.

This thread is not about who should be the best roamer or single target DPS. It is about how thieves, by leaps and bounds more than other professions, can totally ignore the defensive mechanics used by other professions for survival to the point where running a berserker build ceases to be an option.

Haha! Tell this my warrior, who kills three thieves simultaneous last week.

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

(edited by Black Teagan.9215)

in Profession Balance

ens.9854

Warrior notwithstanding* since to be anything resembling glass they need zerker amulet and 0 points in toughness/vitality

Also I suppose guardian in 1on1 situation… But guardians are not really filling the role of “damage dealer” anyway

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Cynz.9437

Cynz.9437

I strongly agree to this, it annoys me a lot in WvW. There are often small groups of 2 thieves and possibly a mesmer standing close to the spawn point, taking out everything coming in their way if there isn’t an entire zerg facing them (well, then they just enter stealth and get away safely). Fun thing is that like 70-80% of the thieves I’m actually seeing there have ranks like Invader, Soldier or Assaulter. It makes me feel bad about wasting tons of time on a ranger when I just can choose a thief and win.

i know this is a bit off topic but one of the best thieves in this game (on top of NA leaderboards) is BG recruit because all he does is pvp 99% of the time, just saying

every profession has means to counter/defend themself against thieves… except for eles maybe, given the same skill lv, but is more of ele issue than thieves… they are in generall in not such great spot atm

All is Vain~
[Teef] guild :>

(edited by Cynz.9437)

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Gugus.1462

Gugus.1462

Haha! Say this my warrior, who kills three thieves simultaneous last week.

Please also inform my elementalist, whose chances of surviving a good thief equal those of surviving a forest fire while camping in the %!$*ing forest.

Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: phaeris.7604

phaeris.7604

When you’re using a warrior to try and say how weak thieves are, then can you imagine how far below an elementalist sits on that scale?

Honestly though, i’d prefer to fight a warrior anyday over a thief. Stealth is such a terrible mechanic in this game. It’s not even stealth, it’s unbreakable invisibility. Realistically it should break if you’re hit whilst in stealth, then casters would have a decent chance to prevent back(actually 180 arc stabs if were being honest)stabs, and make the thief require some actual skill to play well.

in Profession Balance

Black Teagan.9215

Haha! Say this my warrior, who kills three thieves simultaneous last week.

Please also inform my elementalist, whose chances of surviving a good thief equal those of surviving a forest fire while camping in the %!$*ing forest.

Why thieves are “OP” comes from their design.
They need alot of stealth and evades to survive. Removing it from the weaponskills, would make them easier to hit and not so dangerous, if they spam their attacks, but they would die within seconds without it.

Otherwise comes their extreme dmg from the last 10 points in CS.
The dmg different between 20 and 30 Points in CS is extreme.
With 20 Points I deal around 5k Dmg in PvE, with 30 around 8k – 9k; and these +80% exist also in the other gamemodes

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: AlexEBT.7240

AlexEBT.7240

When you’re using a warrior to try and say how weak thieves are, then can you imagine how far below an elementalist sits on that scale?

When you are using and elementalist to try to say how powerful thieves are can you imagine how far below an elementalist sits on the scale anywyas compared to any other profession in the game except rangers?

Seriously now, yes, eles have a pretty big disadvantage thanks to the ruthless and shortsighted nerfs back in the day but that’s the problem of the class not everyone elses. Eles must be buffed up to the level of all the other classes not all the other classes nerfed to the level of the ele.

(edited by AlexEBT.7240)

in Profession Balance

Dual.8953

Honestly though, i’d prefer to fight a warrior anyday over a thief. Stealth is such a terrible mechanic in this game. It’s not even stealth, it’s unbreakable invisibility. Realistically it should break if you’re hit whilst in stealth, then casters would have a decent chance to prevent back(actually 180 arc stabs if were being honest)stabs, and make the thief require some actual skill to play well.

1) Eles are currently the worst class to use if you want to check if something’s OP. It’s like a Dan Hibiki player calling Sagat overpowered.
2) Revealed on damage would never work in GW2. This game is loaded with dumbfire AoE and Cleaving attack. The only reason games like WoW can balance for revealed on damage is because 90% of WoW’s skills require a target.

Registered Altaholic
Part-time Kittenposter

in Profession Balance

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

ty dahkeus. pvp does need more game modes . point capture forces u to play defensive

I’ll never play pvp as long as it’s a point capture game mode.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: urdriel.8496

urdriel.8496

Bad thieves yeah, good thieves no, never, stealth and reset fight.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Azukas.1426

Azukas.1426

Bad thieves yeah, good thieves no, never, stealth and reset fight.

Then you win cause its your point.

in Profession Balance

ens.9854

The stealth QQ baffles me. I generally stealth only once or twice a fight for <2 seconds and only bc it allows me to perform backstab. It’s almost always a byproduct of using black powder, usually against warriors/necros/rangers or using my heal and I GTFO of stealth ASAP.

I only stealth for stealth if attacking is impossible (ie. vs mesmer). Fights vs glass players is usually just a bunch of auto attack and teleport spamming; heartseeker if they are low. Just this is enough to shutdown 90% of them easily… It’s sad

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Kyon.9735

Kyon.9735

The stealth QQ baffles me. I generally stealth only once or twice a fight for <2 seconds and only bc it allows me to perform backstab. It’s almost always a byproduct of using black powder, usually against warriors/necros/rangers or using my heal and I GTFO of stealth ASAP.

I only stealth for stealth if attacking is impossible (ie. vs mesmer). Fights vs glass players is usually just a bunch of auto attack and teleport spamming; heartseeker if they are low. Just this is enough to shutdown 90% of them easily… It’s sad

But you do not represent the entire population of thieves which does things a lot differently than you.

in Profession Balance

ens.9854

Yea I just represent the good ones. You know, the ones who are ruining the balance? That like, this thread is about?

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Corpse Flakes.5369

Corpse Flakes.5369

This game would have been better off if the Thief class had never existed. Stealth in and of itself is inherently broken in most MMOs and giving one class access to a dynamic initiative system while keeping all others on a static cooldown system was a recipe for disaster.

Thief has to rely so much on stealth to get anything done as an old man has to rely on his cane. And personally I find the Thief class very unfun both playing one as well as playing against one as there is little to no counterplay involved.

Mesmerism have stealth. So do engies. I personally enjoy the play style, but I use D/D with a single stealth ability so there is that.

-BelieveGate-

Anet please nerf Paper, Scissors is fine -Rock.

in Profession Balance

Corpse Flakes.5369

Thieves have plenty of utility. Shadow Refuge, for example.

And if you want to throw it in, venom share. You can share your heal with everyone around you.

-BelieveGate-

in Profession Balance

Corpse Flakes.5369

Ok. More complains about thiefs. Thiefs are Damage, and Evade, that’s it. We exist almost solely for PVP. And we don’t handle much more than 2-3 targets too well. We have high single target DPS, and literally nothing else. Why should Ele’s, arguably the best support class in the game, be better than thiefs at the ONLY thing we do?

-BelieveGate-

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Warrior and thief glass builds farm all the other glass builds, because invulnerabilities and stealth coupled with easy, frequent burst make them kings of that role.

So all the other classes need to go condi bunker to not be free kills to them.

Ok. More complains about thiefs. Thiefs are Damage, and Evade, that’s it. We exist almost solely for PVP. And we don’t handle much more than 2-3 targets too well. We have high single target DPS, and literally nothing else. Why should Ele’s, arguably the best support class in the game, be better than thiefs at the ONLY thing we do?

Yeah, it’s not like cluster bomb thief isn’t the best aoe class after staff ele in the game, and unlike staff ele they can actually fend for themselves.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Zero Day.2594

Zero Day.2594

just a free bump to this funny thread

Thief: Shoo damage dealer SHOO
Damage Dealer: WHHAAAAAAAAAA * Goes on the forums *

Thieves are bad bad people…

Thief Nerf/Change Wish List. Advice List
Join the TEEFs!

in Profession Balance

Black Teagan.9215

Thieves are a discriminate class.

Fix it for your

Caleb Ferendir
-Charr Thief-
It’s good to be bad!

in Profession Balance

Zero Day.2594

Damage Dealer when he sees a thief in group:
WOW
much unfair
very cheese
so buttery
disgusting
*The damage dealer leaves the group, exits the stage on the left side. *

Join the TEEFs!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

WOW
much unfair
very cheese
so buttery
disgusting

The damage dealer is of course a thief as well.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in Profession Balance

Zero Day.2594

WOW
much unfair
very cheese
so buttery
disgusting

The damage dealer is of course a thief as well.

MMM i dont know…. that wouldnt make sense much….

Join the TEEFs!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

WOW
much unfair
very cheese
so buttery
disgusting

Thief block best block.

in Profession Balance

Zero Day.2594

WOW
much unfair
very cheese
so buttery
disgusting

Thief block best block.

TEEEF OP

Join the TEEFs!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Jelzouki.4128

Jelzouki.4128

30/30/30/30/30 build is so OP

I wont call you ignorant, but you sir need to know about the S/D and D/P that plagues sPvP. They have access to all of the afore mentioned stuff without having to fall in your uncivilized and near sighted fail of a joke.

I thought the joke was funny

Those thief builds you mentioned can be countered by other builds in the game. Sword/Dagger is mainly to strip someone using boons such an elementalist, guardian, or engi. There is a counter to every build in this game, there isn’t one master build. You just have to deal with it when you’re in sPvP. sPvP is not meant for 1v1s. Let that sink in.

http://strawpoll.me/3648686/r Queue for PvP from any map. Vote Here. Zojoel [ASAP Zerg]

in Profession Balance

Zero Day.2594

30/30/30/30/30 build is so OP

I wont call you ignorant, but you sir need to know about the S/D and D/P that plagues sPvP. They have access to all of the afore mentioned stuff without having to fall in your uncivilized and near sighted fail of a joke.

Hey. Hey you… Are you a damage dealer? Yeah? Well go away! Shoo! SHOO!

Join the TEEFs!

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

Stealth should be the thief mechanic. Steal as well.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

in Profession Balance

Posted by: Lue.6538

Lue.6538

Stealth should be the thief mechanic.

No.

Steal as well.

It is.

in Profession Balance

Posted by: urdriel.8496

urdriel.8496

Stealth should be the thief mechanic. Steal as well.

The thief mechanic is the initiative system, the most OP of the whole history of the MMORPGS.

in Profession Balance

Zero Day.2594

So many “Damage Dealers” in this thread….

Join the TEEFs!