Hobo Sacks: A Terrible Fashion Statement

in Engineer

Posted by: Amethyst Lure.5624

Amethyst Lure.5624

I actually like them for the Flamethrower and the Elixir gun where they make more sense (to carry the canisters), but I would love a hide toggle for them.

The main reason why is not that for me though, but anyone who has a female engineer must have noticed how it limits hairstyles a lot if you don’t want clippage, at least as Norn

in Engineer

Posted by: Brigg.3961

Brigg.3961

Is it within the realm of possibilities to actually change the SKINS of the kits? With all of the back slot skins out now, my engineer would be the perfect place to use them. I’d have my King Toad’s backpack for my elixir gun, Storm Wizard for my Tool Kit, etc. As it is now, I have one of every class, and I simply have no more desire to keep switching backpieces due to nobody else to put them on.

Also, since the back skins are designed around character models (for the most part) the clipping issues should be minimized as well… thoughts?

HoD [STRM]
All classes, level 80
Dropbear Massacre, Necro Main

(edited by Brigg.3961)

in Engineer

Posted by: Kimbald.2697

Kimbald.2697

I actually like them for the Flamethrower and the Elixir gun where they make more sense (to carry the canisters), but I would love a hide toggle for them.

The main reason why is not that for me though, but anyone who has a female engineer must have noticed how it limits hairstyles a lot if you don’t want clippage, at least as Norn

that’s why a toggle would be the simplest solution!

In my FT-EG build I would actually leave them ON most of the time. But every now and than I would just go for the look of the weapon itself (FT or EG) without it’s backpiece.
In my grenade, healing bomb builds, I would toggle them OF.

It’s about options for all, and a little diversity.
Cosmetics in this game are one of the prime motivators. Well, they were until ascended hopped by… but even now many people still work on their look as much as their stats.

Wiggely, wobbely and other wombaty wabbity creatures…

in Engineer

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Another new back piece coming soon…

Wings of the Sunless.

Another patch with no fix for the hobo sack coming soon.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

At least, not that we’re aware of. They were sparse with details on the new LS segment, after all. We’re also not aware of whether our Turrets will even be able to attack Tequatl, as they have been incapable of doing so for quite some time, but that’s something else that makes the devs seem to be ignoring us.

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

At least, not that we’re aware of. They were sparse with details on the new LS segment, after all. We’re also not aware of whether our Turrets will even be able to attack Tequatl, as they have been incapable of doing so for quite some time, but that’s something else that makes the devs seem to be ignoring us.

Supposedly turrets will now attack anything we are attacking.

in Engineer

Posted by: Fnix.5608

Fnix.5608

Dedicating my efforts to the cause!
While I would love to see my jetpack more, I would also like to see my Predator holstered on the back. Just like when I’m standing inactive in LA, hanging around.

http://nox.no – Norse Oil eXpedition

in Engineer

Posted by: Geeo.2154

Geeo.2154

I just started playing the class and came to the OF to make a thread on this topic

+1

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Supposedly turrets will now attack anything we are attacking.

Jon Peters confirmed that one. Depending on how it’s handled codewise, it might still not work – if there’s some errant “If target = Hostile” or the equivalent, it’ll screw it all up.

Even if they indirectly fix that, though, there’s the Turret Fire Rate bugs – which Josh Davis said were sent in for review, but which had been bouncing around our boards for at least a month beforehand.
We’ll probably never hear about the results of the review, but Mesmers get an in-depth investigation, complete with updates and screenshots, of why Illusionary Berserker isn’t dealing as much damage as it looked like it should.

in Engineer

Posted by: Cinder.2056

Cinder.2056

I am confused, why dont they just give us the option to hide it? Everyone could hide helm gloves or backpiece..

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

According to the leaked patchnotes, there’s a possibility that it’ll be taken care of in October’s balance patch – and if I’m reading it correctly, it might go like this:

If your back item is showing, then your Kit will not cover it.
If your back item is not showing, or has no skin attached to it, it will be as normal.

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

According to the leaked patchnotes, there’s a possibility that it’ll be taken care of in October’s balance patch – and if I’m reading it correctly, it might go like this:

If your back item is showing, then your Kit will not cover it.
If your back item is not showing, or has no skin attached to it, it will be as normal.

Yeah..thats pretty much what the dev said he was trying to do on page 5.

in Engineer

Posted by: Crion.8465

Crion.8465

Not sure if it’s been suggested yet in regards to legendaries and kits but…

How about kits gaining entirely new unique skins depending on which legendary you have equipped. Say you have The Predator, all kits would then have new legendary “skins” with the same kind of look and design as The Predator, that way Engineers can have a legendary look even with kits.

Just an idea.

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

Not sure if it’s been suggested yet …

Only about a few dozen times.

We seem to be getting the most basic solution we have been asking for and only solves the fancy back items that show. We can call it progress and hope for this suggestion to bear fruit in about 5 years.

in Engineer

Posted by: kevin.8623

kevin.8623

in Engineer

Posted by: ninja sloth.2658

ninja sloth.2658

After (many) hours of wonderful frustration in SAB, I finally unlocked the King Toad’s Backpack today, only to be disappointed by the clipping issues it has with the hobosacks.

I’m thrilled to see that the issue has been recognised by a dev and that ANet are working on it, though. Here’s hoping I can show off my shiny new box to peeps right before I blow them to bits soon!

in Engineer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

How about kits gaining entirely new unique skins depending on which legendary you have equipped. Say you have The Predator, all kits would then have new legendary “skins” with the same kind of look and design as The Predator, that way Engineers can have a legendary look even with kits.

Just an idea.

This is what should have been done from the start.
add on to that:

if you have Quip and the shield both equipped you should have a tick-able box to indicate what legendary you want to have the kits shown as. These can of course be changed between combat and all 3 would look different.

Quip i think would look like a rainbow coming out of the flamethrower which would be EPIC!

in Engineer

Posted by: Cryptis Midnight.9637

Cryptis Midnight.9637

Just an idea.

This is what should have been done from the start.
add on to that:

if you have Quip and the shield both equipped you should have a tick-able box to indicate what legendary you want to have the kits shown as. These can of course be changed between combat and all 3 would look different.

Quip i think would look like a rainbow coming out of the flamethrower which would be EPIC!

This is my suggestion
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Idea-for-Kit-Skins/first#post2803358

in Engineer

Posted by: Cefiro.9372

Cefiro.9372

Bumped,
Hobo sack, what a great description, it shall forever be coined as Hobo sack in all my future corespondence – i will spread the word.
Hopefully Anet will put some resources into this instead of MLA or wotever that game arena thing is called that they have put so much money into for 1% of the player base.

New in the next patch: Engineer Storage Packs

[img]http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18k3ftfmttndvjpg/ku-medium.jpg[/img]

(edited by Cefiro.9372)

in Engineer

Posted by: Xehanort.7034

Xehanort.7034

Gentlemen, i present you..OH GOD WHAT HAS SCIENCE DONE

OHMAHGAWD THEY ACTUALLY FIXED HOBOSACKS AND BACK PIECES JASHDASF

I DON’T CARE IF THIS IS A BUG AND HAS HORRENDOUS CLIPPING , THIS IS GLORIOUS

(edited by Xehanort.7034)

in Engineer

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

This has been happening for quite awhile. This attached photo was taken on july 24th of my grenade pack with jetpack peaking through. IDK how to reproduce it, but it happens A LOT for me as I swap between med-kit/grenade kits often.

Sorry to ruin hopes, including my own.

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: Xehanort.7034

Xehanort.7034

This has been happening for quite awhile. This attached photo was taken on july 24th of my grenade pack with jetpack peaking through. IDK how to reproduce it, but it happens A LOT for me as I swap between med-kit/grenade kits often.

Sorry to ruin hopes, including my own.

Well, the way i can tell how to reproduce it, at least now, is to auto attack with any kit once. Also, awww.

in Engineer

Posted by: Voramoz.6790

Voramoz.6790

I remember reading this thread forever ago and I’m glad Engi’s have kept it going so well and so long. I just bought a Molten Jetpack (didn’t want to drop for me in MF) and yet I have to have hobo bags cover it up. So the idea of having Kits respect your backpack is a great one (flame and elixir and med kit make sense in my mind). In my mind this is a QoL issue for all Engis.

More far reaching wish list type stuff:
-I know it would be very ENGI specific but why not release skins for kits that are better (gem store)? There could be more than just Engi specific stuff, like maybe if a Guard wanted a different looking Aegis. I think alot of players would have fun customizing small cosmetic aspects of their class. These things could be paid unlockables like finishers.

Tool Kit- can we PLEASE have the gear shield out at all times and just have it animate for blocks? I understand the visual cue it represents that the Engi pulls it out but still.

Another big Engi issue to me at least is legendary. Kits Engi is preeminent so I see small incentive to get a legendary beyond ascended. Footstep effects at least even when the legendary is kitted over?

in Engineer

Posted by: emikochan.8504

emikochan.8504

I guess that guards would have different looking Tomes? Ele could have different types of wrist effects :p

Definitely agree that skins should affect kits, just a few different styles would make me happy.

Welcome to my world – http://emikochan13.wordpress.com

in Engineer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Honestly I think this could just be solved on a race-level.

It’s rather arbitrary that it should change with skin unless the weapon also changes with skin. In which case I’d just add 5 new equipment slots to Engineers and make craftable weapons for those slots, which affect weapon + backpack or the kits. Including stats and all.

But ignoring that rather development-intense solution for a moment, as long as the backpack and the weapon fit the race you’re playing, it’d make sense. No? I mean, if my Asura goes out with a flamethrower, he probably took a normal, everyday use, Clearing-your-field-for-you-ma’am-Flamethrower from the Grand Asuran Fancy Army, in other words it’s all high tech.
While my Charr would field a pretty monstrous thing with lots of metal and lots of steam from the pump.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Engineer

Posted by: dECA.2370

dECA.2370

Some pretty interesting ideas here. I was actually spit-balling some ideas on how to address this today. This has always been something that has bothered me, too.

For example:

• Have kits respect the existing back item flag. If you have a back item and you want to show it, hide the kit. If you don’t have a back item or choose to hide it, always show the kit. Obviously this makes it a little harder than usual to tell what kit you are using, so:
    • A nameplate icon similar to Elemental Attunements would be a good addition (I may add this regardless if we can get the art )
    • Move the kit somewhere else on your body. I know, crazy right? For example, who doesn’t like a sweet fanny-pack?

Hopefully this finally gets resolved soon, and I’ll do what I can to see that happen. Keep in mind, as Colin mentioned before, that there are some pretty beefy projects going on that are consuming our engineering time. But that doesn’t exactly mean we can’t sneak stuff in here and there .

-Bill

It’s been like 2 months since we got an update, and you seems to have some good ideas going there.
Can you please tell us how its going? Or if you are even working on something like that, was it just your own “wishlist” ?

This is bothering me so much atm, just rerolled to human due to better armors, and now i’m stuck with a hobosack that is scaled so incredibad.
It seriously looks like i am a backpack with 2 legs.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Another new backpiece to enjoy from the TA release.

Oh joy.

in Engineer

Posted by: Hellmood.2097

Hellmood.2097

So, I made my first Engineer, female Norn and well, I got quite the surprise…

Arenanet, please

Attachments:

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Some pretty interesting ideas here. I was actually spit-balling some ideas on how to address this today. This has always been something that has bothered me, too.

For example:

• Have kits respect the existing back item flag. If you have a back item and you want to show it, hide the kit. If you don’t have a back item or choose to hide it, always show the kit. Obviously this makes it a little harder than usual to tell what kit you are using, so:
    • A nameplate icon similar to Elemental Attunements would be a good addition (I may add this regardless if we can get the art )
    • Move the kit somewhere else on your body. I know, crazy right? For example, who doesn’t like a sweet fanny-pack?

Hopefully this finally gets resolved soon, and I’ll do what I can to see that happen. Keep in mind, as Colin mentioned before, that there are some pretty beefy projects going on that are consuming our engineering time. But that doesn’t exactly mean we can’t sneak stuff in here and there .

-Bill

It’s been like 2 months since we got an update, and you seems to have some good ideas going there.
Can you please tell us how its going? Or if you are even working on something like that, was it just your own “wishlist” ?

This is bothering me so much atm, just rerolled to human due to better armors, and now i’m stuck with a hobosack that is scaled so incredibad.
It seriously looks like i am a backpack with 2 legs.

We might be seeing the change he’s talking about in the next patch, on October 15th.

in Engineer

dECA.2370

@ Anymras, why is that?
All i heard was the speculation about the TA release picture, but it turned out to be a dungeon boss :/ ( the one where he’s wearing a flamethrower and slickpack )

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

In the leaked patch notes (which, going by the subsequent preview the staff posted, are just about dead-on), they mention, specifically:

“Weapon skills that hide your weapon no longer hide your back item.”

Whether this is actually meant as a reference to Kits or to more literal Weapon skills (I hear Rangers have an odd issue with mainhand Axe replacing things during attacks?) remains to be seen.

in Engineer

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

yay!!! they finally did something to the hobosack.

in Engineer

dECA.2370

Oh sweeeet, thanks alot Anymras! Haven’t seen that one.

in Engineer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

Congrats on the back item skin. You got before Necromancer gets minion poodles and chickens.

in Engineer

Posted by: Obscure One.4357

Obscure One.4357

This is an old thread and an old stick in the mud for the design of the Engineer and how nothing they release really applies to us. Legendary weapon? I’ll rarely see it since I’m constantly using kits. Ascended weapons? They don’t change kit damage more than maybe +4 to +8 more damage, which is absolutely irrelevant. Awesome backslot skins? Again, constantly in kits and bugs with it are common.

My point isn’t to complain but rather indicate that the issues are known, obvious, and important to Engineer players so if ANet is fixing it in a patch they’ll directly come out and say they’re fixing the issues by name, directly.

No need to speculate. If they don’t say they’re fixing kit cosmetic and damage mechanic issues in a patch then they aren’t.

Circumventing profanity filters one kitten at a time.

in Engineer

Posted by: Sold Out.7625

Sold Out.7625

For example:

-Bill

Well, you know. It’s fine, really. I presume he followed his promise and 100% did what he could to see it happen. I mean… Okay, he could do literally nothing / he could forget about his own promise, but he did what he could.

At least we’re not Necros or staff-users who now spend 3.9k gold on the Crossing.

And at least we’re profiting from that greatsword or back item skin that comes with every single up- Oh, waaaait a minute.

Well, time to get a legen- hm? Oh. Well, crap. I’ll go for armor then. I mean, it will get blocked by my kit backpack, but at least it exists. Right, guise?

Guise?

Leader of the Free Winds – RP, community, and all kinds of fun.
Jara Ariasdottir (Soon all classes proper!)

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Oh, kittenmit, did they not fix Kits and Back Items either?

in Engineer

Posted by: Sold Out.7625

Sold Out.7625

Naaaah. We’re just 10%. We don’t deserve weapon skins, back items, fixes, working/ surviving turrets, gadget traits, or anything we have been asking for for a year.

Also, it’s been confirmed that we will never receive legendary effects in kits. And “maybe” footfalls and auras.

Edit: Attached Phineas Poe’s screenshot from today.

Hope you don’t mind, buddy.
https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/Kits-still-override-back-pieces/first#post3027580

Attachments:

Leader of the Free Winds – RP, community, and all kinds of fun.
Jara Ariasdottir (Soon all classes proper!)

(edited by Sold Out.7625)

in Engineer

Posted by: pho.9412

pho.9412

argh!!!!!!!!! they didnt fix it!

in Engineer

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

argh!!!!!!!!! they didnt fix it!

You were expecting them to? Why would you do that?

in Engineer

Posted by: Fnix.5608

Fnix.5608

With the bombkit update i never see my jetpack anymore! Please give us an ETA or something..

http://nox.no – Norse Oil eXpedition

in Engineer

Posted by: Arkham Creed.7358

Arkham Creed.7358

With the bombkit update i never see my jetpack anymore! Please give us an ETA or something..

The ETA is never. We’re only -at best- 10% of the community, so we’re too low priority for them to fix major profession breaking bugs that have been reported countless times since beta. That means they aren’t paying attention to cosmetic issues at all. I’ve long since given up on this one, and you should too; this will never be fixed.

in Engineer

Posted by: Overlord.7394

Overlord.7394

Idk how hard this’d be to program and input but how about a little hide button in your utility box? Along with a little kit attunement pin art in your boons and condis right there.

My name is Remy. I’m a proud member of Lion Knights. Defender of Borlis Pass.
80s: Mesmer, Engineer, Guardian.
In progress: Warrior 52.

in Engineer

Posted by: rodadams.5963

rodadams.5963

Perhaps Engineers are only 10% in part due to the completely lame cosmetics they get in a cosmetic driven game.

in Engineer

Posted by: EroticAndHeretic.7398

EroticAndHeretic.7398

As I stated in another topic, classes should get a menu similar to the PvP finisher menu to costumize their skills. After all, Guild Wars is about customization, right?

Simply select charr or asuran skill skin. Or Aetherblade, for exemple.

We have some art material, ready to be used! We even have a 3D model for an asuran FT already!

Attachments:

in Engineer

Posted by: EroticAndHeretic.7398

EroticAndHeretic.7398

Yes, I know ._.

But that elixir pack I posted above really looks good compared to the “hobo” one.

in Engineer

Posted by: mas.7401

mas.7401

Wow those look great! Wish they looked like that in the game…

in Engineer

Posted by: lakdav.3694

lakdav.3694

It would still be annoying to have those backpacks appear out of thin air.

I remember the good old days before launch when my biggest concern was the concept of turrets. Where do engineers pull their turrets out from? Well, that suspension of disbelief was quickly overshadowed by the whole PACKS appearing out of thin air. Or the Flamethrower and Elixir gun packs not having any direct connection to the actual weapons. Whats the point of them then?

in Engineer

Posted by: otherdeadangel.6354

otherdeadangel.6354

Crying over that im not able to see half of my armor skin that i used 800 crystals for.. and even my new hairstyle is back..

in Engineer

Posted by: Siks.1978

Siks.1978

Yes, I know ._.

But that elixir pack I posted above really looks good compared to the “hobo” one.

Those are great examples!

One of my biggest concerns with the backpack is the size. On most races their proportion is exaggerated to the ridicule!

+1 to this topic!