Hobo Sacks: A Terrible Fashion Statement

in Engineer

Posted by: Basaltface.2786

Basaltface.2786

Lot customization?…. Yeah?… And? Maybe some people dont enjoy to carry fugly coloured hobosacks on their backs while wearing ascended gear… or using legendaries…or just dont want to colour their whole darn armor brown to atleast sorta dont clash with those things. Id like to see the hissy fit if other classes would regardless of level, experience and equipment need to use kit based skills (that can be clearly count as weapons) with very little to zero visual appeal (and really low damage output even if you skill specially to use specific kits but thats a different theme). Imagine your warrior (if you got one) needs to run arround with a lvl1 sword design ALL the time, or your mesmer with a lvl1 scepter or staff. Doesnt look good? Would you demand more visual appeal? Im sure you would. Those kits NEVER should have looked that ugly in the first place, hell they should had started the class out right away with an option to colour them and an option to hide the backpack. I mean.. you use this things prolly more then anything if you play engineer (doesnt go for everybody obviosly) and so you SEE them more then anything, means they gotta look good in a game where vanity is an important part of the gameplay.

You always could argue “but the ele weapons cant be changed either”. So what? They look like high end equipment that represent their element and look like they can dish out some massive abuse (what they can) and are not mandatory in most builds.

in Engineer

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

Anet should convert warrior signets to kits, only way you would see your actual back item is either on active or passive (Whichever makes the hobo-sack seen more). Then after a month, more & more people will join our cause & something will get done since warriors are the majority (most listened to) then convert them back to current signets.

I still think icons like elementalist attunments is best option, but only if that is coupled with option to have kits on/off.

in Engineer

Posted by: Causic.3798

Causic.3798

Some pretty interesting ideas here. I was actually spit-balling some ideas on how to address this today. This has always been something that has bothered me, too.

For example:

• Have kits respect the existing back item flag. If you have a back item and you want to show it, hide the kit. If you don’t have a back item or choose to hide it, always show the kit. Obviously this makes it a little harder than usual to tell what kit you are using, so:
    • A nameplate icon similar to Elemental Attunements would be a good addition (I may add this regardless if we can get the art )
    • Move the kit somewhere else on your body. I know, crazy right? For example, who doesn’t like a sweet fanny-pack?

Hopefully this finally gets resolved soon, and I’ll do what I can to see that happen. Keep in mind, as Colin mentioned before, that there are some pretty beefy projects going on that are consuming our engineering time. But that doesn’t exactly mean we can’t sneak stuff in here and there .

-Bill

Last post from dev was 6 months ago, things aren’t looking so good.

in Engineer

Posted by: Witaminka.4650

Witaminka.4650

Still no response? Just say it: still on the paper. My last bump, GL with thread ppl, maybe one day…

GW1 – 4,100+ / GW2 – 10,300+ hours played
server jumper

in Engineer

Posted by: NoizeMaker.8367

NoizeMaker.8367

I want the hide hobo sack option ASAP.

Commander Ovi Bell: 80 – Guardian
Commander Skigoboom: 80 – Engi
Protocol WvW Lead [PRO] Dragonbrand

in Engineer

Posted by: Illuvar.3258

Illuvar.3258

I cant say something else then most of the posters here. We either need the option to hide these ugly things or change the appearance to the backpack items we like.

And I would really appreciate it if my character would still have the legendary visuals even when we have a kit equipped, I mean what for have I craftet myself a legendary and spend that kind of an ridiculouse amount of time when I cant see it? :p … I knew that a legy sucks for engis but its the char I play most and I love that class, because of the kits.

So please change it soon. We need some fresh wind to keep us motivated to play this game, so dont disapoint us.

Greets

in Engineer

Posted by: Rahken.4382

Rahken.4382

I agree. I hate the “hobo sack”. It totally destroys the look of the character.

in Engineer

Posted by: Snack.9315

Snack.9315

Might as well just quit the game, guys. ANet doesn’t care.

“Retired” characters: Fruit Salad (Warrior), Blingerton (Engineer), Shixard (Ranger).
Current characters: Mistress Viridi (Elementalist), Pigeon Opener (Engineer).
3DS Friend Code: 0903-2770-3378. Mail me in-game if you add me!

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

le bump for keeping up

in Engineer

Posted by: Tormented.6380

Tormented.6380

Bump help us :C

in Engineer

Posted by: Klmor.1250

Klmor.1250

Bump.

I still think icons like elementalist attunments is best option, but only if that is coupled with option to have kits on/off. +1

in Engineer

Posted by: Mbelch.9028

Mbelch.9028

I’ve done it a bunch of other times: BUMP. Please fix.

I won’t play my engi ’till this is fixed.

-Nex, [FEAR] Elementalist
https://www.youtube.com/user/GW2FearGaming

in Engineer

Posted by: MonMalthias.4763

MonMalthias.4763

Would sweep the issue under the rug if there was simply a way for Arenanet to monetize Kit backpacks with Gem Store skins.
Advantages:

• Engineers no longer complaining about “hobo sacks”
  • Money for Arenanet
  • Cash Money for Arenanet
  • Gems
  • Every Engineer is now Fabulous!

Disadvantages:

• Event backpieces still covered by kit skins
Iva Malthias – 80 Engineer
Marellune Malthias – 80 Elementalist
Devil’s Dominion [DD] – Yak’s Bend

in Engineer

Posted by: tigirius.9014

tigirius.9014

They could totally turn this into a money making venture if they wanted to. Even if they added the toggle it would still be awesome to be able to buy backpacks that had different racial designs, even cosmetic kits that changed the look of everything an engineer used from backpacks to turrets all themed!

I don’t understand why they wouldn’t do this, I’m sure it would do well in the store. weird.

Balance Team: Please Fix Mine Toolbelt Positioning!

in Engineer

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

Another patch, another event back piece, another slap in the face.

in Engineer

Posted by: PrinceCola.5620

PrinceCola.5620

Is it really that bad? Wanted to roll an Asura or Charr engineer but i am not sure anymore

in Engineer

Posted by: digitalruse.9085

digitalruse.9085

As someone who just got their completed Fractal Capacitor, this makes me extra sad so I want to talk about it more. Either let us hide them, or let us equip kit “skins” in the extra weapon slots that are grayed out doing nothing.

(P.S. – I also wish I could hide my shield while not in combat.)

Qwerkk – Asuran Engineer

in Engineer

Posted by: Markus.9084

Markus.9084

^^This

We can’t use our new shiny back piece…..

An engineer playing P/S with kits will almost never show his back piece…

in Engineer

Posted by: GEM.9418

GEM.9418

ANET does indeed listen to it’s customers, but they don’t give a kitten about Engineers. Almost 1 year and nothing done about multiple Engi issues.

This is what they care about. 9 months ago and 2 responses in the thread and they made it happen. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Please-make-an-endless-quaggan-tonic

11 months and almost 600 replies and close to 50,000 views and nothing.

in Engineer

Posted by: Mad Rasputin.7809

Mad Rasputin.7809

ANET does indeed listen to it’s customers, but they don’t give a kitten about Engineers. Almost 1 year and nothing done about multiple Engi issues.

This is what they care about. 9 months ago and 2 responses in the thread and they made it happen. https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/archive/suggestions/Please-make-an-endless-quaggan-tonic

As Colin once said, “We’re currently focusing our engineering (programmers, not guys with net guns) resources that could work on solutions to issues like kits/skins on major systems that address issues higher priority and wider reaching”

in Engineer

tigirius.9014

^^This

We can’t use our new shiny back piece…..

An engineer playing P/S with kits will almost never show his back piece…

Yep I have no idea why they are waiting so long to do something about this. weird. The toggle system can’t possibly be that difficult to code.

in Engineer

tigirius.9014

As Colin once said, “We’re currently focusing our engineering (programmers, not guys with net guns) resources that could work on solutions to issues like kits/skins on major systems that address issues higher priority and wider reaching”

If that were true then they’d have fixed the turrets lack of defense, the range of the rifle, and kit refinement by now. Also turrets would have racial skin designs and so would backpacks which is one of the many things that was posted in the original suggestions forums a long long time ago.

Thing is if this were any kind of priority it would have been done. Some of us have been talking with them about this since Launch and here we are continuing the conversation about it. It’s not that difficult and people can see what we’re doing in PVP enough to know which kit we have, stalling and excuses like this aren’t going to fix the problem and that’s what I feel they are doing.

(edited by tigirius.9014)

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Another bump for great justice. I’m excited for the new backpack but it saddens me to think I’ll rarely see it and when I do it’ll clip. Please fix this already!

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Posted by: mar.6938

mar.6938

I was so excited about the new backpiece for my charrengineer but then i realised that there are hobosacks

in Engineer

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

I think some of you need to step back and think about what “slap in the face” really means. This is nothing close to that.

With that said, this is so annoying! I’m getting that back piece and I would love to actually be able to see it!

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Engineer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

I just made myself the backpiece. I just tought the wings will still be visible under the hobo sack … pff … no it just disappears wtf.

Also the animation when i grab my shield from my back, the new back item jsut sticks to the shield for the duration of the animation istead of beeing actually on my back is … well TERRIBLE!!!

when will come a fix? it’s extremly unfair for any engineer and also for everyone who whields a shield. Just make them visible through anything.

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

I just made myself 2 of them. One with wings and one without and transmuted both to equal stats. Now i can just switch the backpiece if i know i know rely on kits from the winged to the non winged . No wing clipping and perfectly covered up.

Not sure if im desperate or sad… or both

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

I just made myself 2 of them. One with wings and one without and transmuted both to equal stats. Now i can just switch the backpiece if i know i know rely on kits from the winged to the non winged . No wing clipping and perfectly covered up.

I don’t get why you did this o.O It’s anyway invisible if it has wings or not while using a kit.

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

I don’t get why you did this o.O It’s anyway invisible if it has wings or not while using a kit.

im a sad little man…thats why. And to correct you.. it indeed is visible with wings out and clips HORRIBLE with kits. Hence why i got one without wings if i know i gonna rely on kits for the next time.

(edited by Basaltface.2786)

in Engineer

Markus.9084

1 one year and still no toggle system…. why ?
Just add an icon like for the El showing which kit we are using if it’s only for PvP problems…

( bump)

in Engineer

Posted by: Axelwarrior.9084

Axelwarrior.9084

10/10 would read again.

I love my “Hobo sacks”, actually.
To be honest, I’m not sure why you would make a character that you know suit the profession.
I understand that you probably really wanted to make a sylvari and you also really wanted your main( or whatever) to be an engineer, but you really need to consider that every class has its cosmetic features.
You don’t hear my complain about my necromancer having green particles or a scythe shadow thingie on my staff. Or complaining that my Ranger’s most efficient pet is ugly. Or that I don’t like the fire element on my Elementalist because it doesn’t match the colour of his suit. Or that I want purple energy fields for my guardian and blue particles on my mesmer.

You get my drift.

A magic effect or a pet is NOT a kit that is ductaped to your avatar´s back, covers up most of it(and removes your existing backpiece (if you got one) and your equipped weapons in the process), makes you constantly stare at it all time and most likely clashes all the time with your armor colours. A kit could be considered a part of your armor and your weapon at the same time. So how does your necro staff look? Still like your starter staff? Or how does your ranger pet look? Still the starter? No? Of course you dont complain.. you CAN change it. Magic effects are designed so that they look powerfull regardless of the level…while the engineer kits look weak and like the most basic equipment you can get. While your engineer levels up.. gets better armor and firearms or shields the kits remain the bare bones of basic.. heck you cant even colour it so that it fits with your choice of armor colour. THAT is the issue.

Either you didn’t read my post carefully, or you didn’t understand.
I’m talking about all the cosmetic animations/effects/particles/models that is unique to every class and mandatory if you’re planning on using a specific spec, not the EQUIPMENT I PERSONALLY CHOOSE.
If you play a bear Ranger, you’ll need to use a bear (duh).
If you play a Staff Necro, you’ll have green stuff everywhere.
If you play a Guardian, you’ll have blue particles and flames.
If you play a Mesmer, you’ll have purple particles and effects.
If you play an Elementalist, you’ll have Fire, Water, Electricity and Earth animations and particles.
If you play a Thief, you’ll have black/grey animations.
If you play a Longbow Warrior, you’ll have fire and smoke animations and particles.
AND IF YOU PLAY A KIT ENGINEER, YOU’LL HAVE KITS. DEAL WITH IT.
Either choose a class/appearance that matches the MANDATORY effects that EACH CLASS has, or don’t whine about it.
With the same logic, we should be able to change almost every cosmetic aspect of our classes. What if I want my Mesmer to have a green color theme? The purple animations would look terrible on her. Oh, I know, I’ll make a forum thread to request the option to change my particles’ colors!

in Engineer

Posted by: aspirine.6852

aspirine.6852

Eh hmm Anet? My Engi wants this new backpiece pretty please. But there is something in the way of it. A giant sack of I dont know what is in it

in Engineer

Markus.9084

If you play an Elementalist, you’ll have Fire, Water, Electricity and Earth animations and particles.
If you play a Longbow Warrior, you’ll have fire and smoke animations and particles.
Either choose a class/appearance that matches the MANDATORY effects that EACH CLASS has, or don’t whine about it.
With the same logic, we should be able to change almost every cosmetic aspect of our classes. What if I want my Mesmer to have a green color theme? The purple animations would look terrible on her. Oh, I know, I’ll make a forum thread to request the option to change my particles’ colors!

You don’t seem to understand. Green/Blue/Purple particles, Pets and fire/water/.. animations don’t hide your armor and your weapon.

If we spend hundreds of gold to acquire a nice weapon and a nice back piece, we want to show them as much as possible. Don’t you think that’s normal ?

With kits, even legendaries lose their particles effects and their footprint. Do you have this problem with your pet ? I think not…

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

You don’t seem to understand. Green/Blue/Purple particles, Pets and fire/water/.. animations don’t hide your armor and your weapon.

If we spend hundreds of gold to acquire a nice weapon and a nice back piece, we want to show them as much as possible. Don’t you think that’s normal ?

With kits, even legendaries lose their particles effects and their footprint. Do you have this problem with your pet ? I think not…

And to add to this we also spend a lot of time aquiring armors that often cost a lot of transmutation gems and colours to get the way we want. My armor alone including everything from colours, transmutation gems and gem store gems is worth about 120 gold just to clash colour wise with the kits AND clip with my new winged backpiece. I gotta deal with looking kitten? Think again mate.. NOT in a game where visuals are a mayor part of the gameplay…

in Engineer

Posted by: Doug.4930

Doug.4930

This thread has severed its purpose. I think its clear that Anet realizes that the majority of players despise the repulsive hobo sacks, (myself Included).

I suppose the only thing to do now is wait and hope. Every time I see a new build being announced, I cant help hoping haha, despite the fact that its been a year……

Doug The Unseen Of Homefront Defenders [HD]

Jade Quarry’s dedicated Roaming/Havoc Squad Guild

in Engineer

Posted by: Scaramuccia.1258

Scaramuccia.1258

Will every engineer get cool soulbound backpack on this thread anniversary? Anet, seriously, have you sacked the guy who said that he cared about this issue?

I think that we need to start posting bugs – ‘My backpack isn’t shown correctly. What to do?"

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Cheer up folks!

I’ve just made the new back item and it shows through the hobo sacks!

Yup it does, it’s my first back item and the following things I’ve realizes about hobo sacks, shields and the new back item.

• The back item is not visible under the shield while its ooc on the back.
  • The back item sticks ON the shield while draw the shield from the back. It then flies back to where the back item should be. Looks strange but not a big deal.
  • The back item is visible under the rifle.
  • The back item does not bug while drawing the rifle.
  • The back item is invisible if you equip a hobo sack.
  • The back item gets visible after the first skill used while carrying a hobo sack.
  • The back item aswell the hobo sack are visible at the same time. It still looks great with those wings to be honest, since they are so big.

With those big wings it’s ok to have hobosacks. However All other back items are just … well … I would cry if I had another one Fix it plz!

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

…yeah. That’s pretty much the explanation of the issue – the kit covers back items, only for them to clip through them. For a game as cosmetics-driven as GW2, this is a problem.

in Engineer

Posted by: Ves.8236

Ves.8236

Scaramuccia.1258 dont be such a neighbour dog. You can always roll to engineer.

From the smallest blade of grass to the highest mountain, where life goes—so, too, should you.

in Engineer

Posted by: kitsuneshoujo.5734

kitsuneshoujo.5734

I would be happy if the Engineer kits weren’t gigantic on every race except Asura. It probably doesn’t look so bad on male characters but on human females it looks like they are carrying half a refrigerator box on their back. If they were reduced by at least 25% I think it wouldn’t look so bad.

in Engineer

Posted by: kitsuneshoujo.5734

kitsuneshoujo.5734

Also I had made the new backpack with my engineer in mind, that only reason why I made the thing really…

I like some of the kit designs, like the chem pack and the flame thrower, but the others look like they ran out of ideas when they came to them.

I think we should all blame the Living Fanfic for Engineers getting the drive shaft all the time.

And as much as I dislike nearly all the cosmetic stuff on the cash shop, I would still by kit/turret skins off it.

in Engineer

Posted by: Barrasci.2368

Barrasci.2368

Putting the kit on the chest instead of the back?
Dunno why, but i find it pretty hilarious!

P.s. someone photoshop this, please!!!

in Engineer

Posted by: Crion.8465

Crion.8465

This still hasn’t been fixed in over a year? Can’t they just make the normal back item override the hobo sack when it’s toggled as visible?
Seems like such a simple thing to fix …

in Engineer

Posted by: digiowl.9620

digiowl.9620

I may have stated this earlier in this 12 page monstrosity, but one easy “fix” could be to shrink existing packs and have them hang off the left hip weapon point. the weapons gets hidden when a kit gets equipped anyways. And would be a indicator that something is equipped if med, grenade or bomb kit is equipped, as they do not place a weapon in the engineer’s hands.

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Any news ANet? bump…

in Engineer

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

I think it would be a good idea to give the engineer a real Toolbelt. This would sync with the kit you are wearing. When you equip grenade kit, some grandes will be hanging on your belt. When equipping FT kit, maybe a small gas barrel hangs on your toolbelt. It would also make the “Toolbelt” skills much more logic. Currently the ram’s head doesn’t come out of a belt, but out of my belly….

Speaking about legendaries I honestly think there is no need to hold any effects when wielding a kit. When an other class changes weapons, they also dont hold effects. (The effects on skills could be improved imo, but that’s not on topic)

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

However the otherclasses can use allways a legendary, we can’t get a legendary kit. They should show obv. I also have to disagree with the toolbelt thing: I don’t want anymore uncustomizeable stuff for my engi. Hobos are enough.

in Engineer

Posted by: Yoshifxe.8346

Yoshifxe.8346

HAPPY BIRTHDAY THREAD!!!

(was going to write a song but too grumpy and tired to make one.)

in Engineer

Xyonon.3987

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you

dear Engi, not a bit
has been changed, still looks s!!t

got an item on ma’ back
would like to see a hack

would even pay a few bucks
just to know how it looks

what i’ve got on ma’ back
except a s!!tty hobosack

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you

~ Sad engineer Nr. 538930

(\…./)
(,-_-,)
(,,)(,,)

in Engineer

Basaltface.2786

sits in the corner rocking slowly back and forth with a party pipe in his mouth corner….f-fix?