How about a Crossbow?

How about a Crossbow?

in Engineer

Posted by: Archaeopteryx.7409

Archaeopteryx.7409

What would you guys think to a Crossbow for Engineers, (maybe) Mesmers, (arguably) Warriors and to any other Classes you guys feel it could suit? I think it’d suit Engineer very well, which is arguable considering there’re rifles and such already available for Engineers… I just feel there could be more variation in the Skins, Skills and Build-related variants for Ranged Weapons and/or how they’re used, including actual Play-Styles (via skills and actually personal preference, for example: I love bows but I don’t like Ranger, Thief (for the Shortbow) or Warrior, so there’s that…). I also feel that a Crossbow could introduce a more Ranged Defensive or Offensive set of skills towards the individual Classes using it-this could match Builds, especially for Engineer as I play this Class as well as Mesmer and Necromancer mainly; after looking through Forum posts and such, the idea of a Crossbow seems like it can meet what people are looking for in terms of diversity.

Overall, a Crossbow may cause confusion I think, epically as it’d be a new addition, and may cause complaints about it resulting in it becoming a stereotypical weapon to be placed between Bows and Rifles and avoided by the Classes who use Bows & Rifles, but since I feel the Classes in need of a Crossbow who are missing either a Bow or Rifle (for example, Engineer with the Rifle) are also missing the type(s) of Skills this could offer, I think it may introduce more variation-something ANet wants…

I’m sorry if I’m a little confusing in what I’m saying, it’s getting late here xD
I just feel like… A Crossbow would be something different with that specific type of uniqueness when introduced to Builds where people avoid following the crowd for using, as an example, a Longbow with the Ranger, or, like most Engineers now, a Rifle/one or two Kits.

I can see some obvious Cons as to introducing a Crossbow to Classes in general, like it interfering with Tool Kits for Engineers as a whole, and maybe being seen as a “useless” weapon for the most obvious Classes who’d use this Weapon (like a Ranger), but wouldn’t it create a more diverse system of Weapon relationship with overall Player Stats/Traits etc to create more variated Builds? I wouldn’t say it has immediate potential if introduced, but it’s that concept of just something different which is there and could be a part in the development of making specific Builds where people think more deeply about Weapons-this could even meet some demands for gameplay with builds on classes being repetitive, or could even re-assure people looking to get a specific Legendary for a Build they actually like through diversity, which is what I’m still looking for after about a year of playing Guild Wars 2 ;D

Feel free to share your opinions on the idea as a whole!
Thanks for reading this! It’s been playing on my mind since I first started Engineer

(edited by Archaeopteryx.7409)

How about a Crossbow?

in Engineer

Posted by: Anymras.5729

Anymras.5729

I think we (Engineers) could use more weapon choices.
I also think we’re more likely to get more weapon choices if those weapon choices are weapons that already exist in-game.
Aside from that, the only issue I might have with this is “All of our main-hand weapon choices are Projectiles. It’d be nice to be able to melee something without having to use a Kit.”

How about a Crossbow?

in Engineer

Archaeopteryx.7409

I think we (Engineers) could use more weapon choices.
I also think we’re more likely to get more weapon choices if those weapon choices are weapons that already exist in-game.
Aside from that, the only issue I might have with this is “All of our main-hand weapon choices are Projectiles. It’d be nice to be able to melee something without having to use a Kit.”

With the idea of a Crossbow, there could be a melee skill or two, either to Smack Foes with the Butt of the Bow, or to even stab them with an arrow if they’re too close and cause either a CC or a Condition like Bleeding or even Vulnerability/Cripple with those two in particular: with a Crossbow being left out of the game and hinted to ANet from Forums and such, ANet will probably keep melee in mind (hopefully) if they consider publishing a Crossbow ;D

How about a Crossbow?

in Engineer

Posted by: Monadproxy.3489

Monadproxy.3489

I’d rather have main hand shield.

How about a Crossbow?

in Engineer

Posted by: deegu.7864

deegu.7864

Dual-wielding shields. Smexy.

How about a Crossbow?

in Engineer

Archaeopteryx.7409

Eh… I guess people would prefer to beat the cr@p out of others with a Shield like smacking someone to death with a big Saucepan than use a civilised Crossbow…

Pretty weird, but okay.

How about a Crossbow?

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

Personally, I’d like a main-hand weapon with a melee autoattack. Butt-strikes are all well and good, but they’ll have cooldowns, and we have enough ranged main-hand weapons (see: all of the weapons we have that aren’t Kits.)

I’m tired of shooting myself in the face because I happen to leave Pistol #1 on Autoattack mode, don’t use Kits and happen to occasionally fight an enemy with Reflects Projectiles. We already have non-Kit weapon attacks that aren’t autoattacks that also aren’t Projectiles, but they’re on cooldowns, which rather dampens one’s ability to use them in response to “This enemy puts up a reflection bubble and I happen to not be using a build that uses Kits.”

How about a Crossbow?

in Engineer

Posted by: Stalima.5490

Stalima.5490

obviously hammers or other blunt objects come to mind when thinking of engineer… we even get a box of nails but nothing really to bang them in with

How about a Crossbow?

in Engineer

Posted by: TheRiverBlues.2607

TheRiverBlues.2607

Some would argue the kits are to make up lack of weapons. But then again only three of them are actually decent.

How about a Crossbow?

in Engineer

Posted by: Unhinged Carrot.3849

Unhinged Carrot.3849

Some would argue the kits are to make up lack of weapons. But then again only three of them are actually decent.

What? There are viable applications for all of them. Certainly the Grenade Kit, Bomb Kit, Tool Kit and Elixir Gun are all great. The Flamethrower could do with some tweaks but still has uses (currently running it in my build).

Zobb – Asura Engineer – Seafarer’s Rest

How about a Crossbow?

in Engineer

Archaeopteryx.7409

Personally, I’d like a main-hand weapon with a melee autoattack. Butt-strikes are all well and good, but they’ll have cooldowns, and we have enough ranged main-hand weapons (see: all of the weapons we have that aren’t Kits.)

I’m tired of shooting myself in the face because I happen to leave Pistol #1 on Autoattack mode, don’t use Kits and happen to occasionally fight an enemy with Reflects Projectiles. We already have non-Kit weapon attacks that aren’t autoattacks that also aren’t Projectiles, but they’re on cooldowns, which rather dampens one’s ability to use them in response to “This enemy puts up a reflection bubble and I happen to not be using a build that uses Kits.”

What if Crossbow had an alternating Auto Attack that, if an enemy is too close, the Auto Attack would be to use a singular Arrow to pierce and slash at the enemy like a knife, but just an ordinary bolt at range?

How about a Crossbow?

in Engineer

Anymras.5729

What if Crossbow had an alternating Auto Attack that, if an enemy is too close, the Auto Attack would be to use a singular Arrow to pierce and slash at the enemy like a knife, but just an ordinary bolt at range?

Interesting, and reminiscent of Monster Hunter, but unlikely.

How about a Crossbow?

in Engineer

Posted by: Pwent.2639

Pwent.2639

How about a Crossbow skinformyrifle? No, seriously a fancy crossbow skin for rifles would be sick. It would not feel out of place on engi or war.

Ida

How about a Crossbow?

in Engineer

Posted by: Lippuringo.1742

Lippuringo.1742

Crossbows is really stupid idea, since Rifle > Crossbow > Bow.

We have Bows as classic weapons and Rifles as replacement for crossbows.

How about a Crossbow?

in Engineer

Archaeopteryx.7409

Crossbows is really stupid idea, since Rifle > Crossbow > Bow.

We have Bows as classic weapons and Rifles as replacement for crossbows.

It can’t be as bad as people asking for a Hammer for Necro… And, besides, it would bring more diversity to Builds with unique skills ;3