I'm an Engineer because...

in Engineer

Posted by: derekgrant.6504

derekgrant.6504

I’ve played one since beta. I fell in love with everything it had to offer. I felt so flexible, I felt so awesome, I felt like I had the world in my hands.

Then I discovered the facts. We are one of, if not, the least played profession in the game. We are often criticized for not being on par with other classes as far as design and functionality goes. But I don’t care.

If anything, I feel comforted by the fact that I’m a proud underdog. I would have it no other way.

What’s your story!? Why are you sticking with your Engineer!

in Engineer

Posted by: Specterryu Quipter.8412

Specterryu Quipter.8412

I stick with the Engineer because the other classes are too simplistic. Simplicity bores me.

Character is higher than intellect. A great soul will be strong to live, as well as think.
-Ralph Waldo Emerson

in Engineer

Posted by: Derren.8724

Derren.8724

Is it weird that, when I got GW2 about a month ago, I leveled a warrior to 80… then dropped it because my Engineer felt more fun, useful, and effective?

Maybe I just didn’t play greatsword warrior correctly… but either way I’ll be sticking with the class that can make it rain turrets and health kits while I frolic about with a gun that shoots hypodermic needles.

“The Court of Winter” [WIN] – Sea of Sorrows

in Engineer

Posted by: RaynStargaze.6510

RaynStargaze.6510

because the classpreview video made it look like an awesome CC profession

now im playing pure condiburst with no CC at all

Engi in general is pretty decent atm though as long as you min/max. In all PvE PvP and WvW.

Especially in PvP theres like a flood of engis and bad ppl rerolling sooo not sure if u can still be proud of being HARDCORE UNDERGROUND!

(edited by RaynStargaze.6510)

in Engineer

Posted by: Pixelpumpkin.4608

Pixelpumpkin.4608

I picked engineer as my first and main character because the class felt the most “me”.

I traditionally play dedicated ranged combat classes and ranger would have been the most typical choice for me… but I also tend to go for the non-magical classes first.
I didn’t pick engi because it was the most complex class or the least played or whatever… I just found it the most interesting.

Also, I have a thing for explosives.

:)

Since, I’ve started a few other character – guardian, mesmer, elementalis – but I feel most comfortable playing my engineer.

in Engineer

Posted by: Eviator.9746

Eviator.9746

I picked Engineer in beta because I thought it was the profession I wanted to play the least, and I didn’t want to spoil the rest of the professions when release came. I ended up getting so up close and personal with the engi that the other professions seem foreign, and now I play engineer almost exclusively. I say almost because

• I play necro in PvE
  • I also have a level 80 necro, guardian, mesmer, and thief

Turns out the engineer has rather varied gameplay, especially with kits. Maybe the ele matches it, but I just couldn’t get into it. I gave up on warrior and ranger because I found them far too simple.

Sheldor the Eidetic (Group Engi) | Shorty McShinkicker (Solo Engi) |Turanga (Solo Mes)
Doing what I can for DB during EU primetime

in Engineer

Posted by: WIGZ.8245

WIGZ.8245

Is it weird that, when I got GW2 about a month ago, I leveled a warrior to 80… then dropped it because my Engineer felt more fun, useful, and effective?

Maybe I just didn’t play greatsword warrior correctly… but either way I’ll be sticking with the class that can make it rain turrets and health kits while I frolic about with a gun that shoots hypodermic needles.

I likewise also played a warrior to 80 after launch, leveled him up, got a legendary… then realized how underwhelming the whole class is.
DPS = Greatsword (20/20/0/0/30)
WvW = (0/0/20/30/10, put 10 wherever else you want).
Tank? No reason to since there’s no holy trinity setup.
(Banners are like turrets, useless outside of PvE, Stances are mediocre)

Meanwhile, on Engie, I could buff my teammates, remove conditions, heal them, meanwhile also doing good damage from any number of setups. It felt more fun playing my engie… sure I’m not getting stupid broken 30k+ 100 blade dps #’s… but at least it felt like I had to try in order to kill something.

[BT] Wigz – Blackgate – 80 Engineer & Warrior
http://blacktalons.guildlaunch.com/

in Engineer

Posted by: MrForz.1953

MrForz.1953

-I’m an engineer because I was interested in getting a flamethrower and a tool kit.
-Then I’ve been stuck with it because it’s somewhat efficient more or less everywhere. -And I still continue with it just to not look like those mindless greatsword-spinning simpletons, to hell with their stuck-up comments on which we’re useless, if they don’t want to know everything they’re missing it’s not my kitten problem.
-I get the chance to own a HUGE variety of different builds and combinations.
-It also gives me the ability to calm those snotty wannabe pr0 assassin Thieves 1v15 rather radically in PvP.
-Oh, although now it’s not much, I played Engi before it was cool.

Disgruntled Charr Engineer and Thief – Jade Quarry.

in Engineer

derekgrant.6504

-I’m an engineer because I was interested in getting a flamethrower and a tool kit.
-Then I’ve been stuck with it because it’s somewhat efficient more or less everywhere. -And I still continue with it just to not look like those mindless greatsword-spinning simpletons, to hell with their stuck-up comments on which we’re useless, if they don’t want to know everything they’re missing it’s not my kitten problem.
-I get the chance to own a HUGE variety of different builds and combinations.
-It also gives me the ability to calm those snotty wannabe pr0 assassin Thieves 1v15 rather radically in PvP.
-Oh, although now it’s not much, I played Engi before it was cool.

Haha awesome! I made a warrior, but I run around with a Rifle because it feels close to home. I also vow to never Greatsword and use Dual Axes

in Engineer

Posted by: FlamingForce.6389

FlamingForce.6389

Grenades and bombs.

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

I was drawn in by its versatility, but it is primarily the aesthetic that keeps me going even after 1000+ hours played on it.

I’m not a big fan of the Grenade Kit and never really was, but I love the Bomb Kit, Tool Kit, and Flamethrower. I love that our Rifle and Gadgets knock us around like a ragdoll. I love the goggles, trenchcoats, and the “hobo sacks.”

I have an 80 Warrior and an 80 Guardian too, and I play them all the time. But my first love was Engineer, and I’m still finding creative ways to play the class in all areas of the game.

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I played just about every other profession before giving Engi a shot, and even then I wasn’t too excited about its prospects. Boy was I happily disappointed.

Engi have incredible variety & lots of dynamic play. We have strong builds for PvE, PvP, and WvW. We are constantly underappreciated and underestimated, making encounters enjoyable when we prove our critics wrong.

All this and a flamethrower??? Yes please.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Engineer

Posted by: BlackBeard.2873

BlackBeard.2873

I played ele first, and loved it. Engi felt like the ele should have because of how kit-swapping can work. I really like that I can swap to a certain kit for 1-2 skills, then move on to another to fit the situation. With the right kits, you can even have a little bit of everything. With ele, you pretty much swapped to an attunement, had to unload almost of the skills, then swapped to the next.

Engie just feels so much more surgical. I also really do like all of the control options.

in Engineer

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I love the blast finishers and versatility.

Contrary to the complainers, we are quite a versatile class. We have:
- Reflects
- Condition Removal
- Team heals
- Immobilize
- Vulnerability
- Burst
- Stealth
- Instant weapon swapping
- 1500 ranged aoe
And more!

in Engineer

Posted by: Nittles.1582

Nittles.1582

I’m an engie because I thought asurans looked cute with backpacks on. That’s literally why I rolled one. I played one in beta and was underwhelmed, but when my asuran Guardian put on a backpack for one heart, I knew I had to roll an engie.

in Engineer

Posted by: JuniorSB.7089

JuniorSB.7089

I’m an engineer because……I am Panthro the Fixer of the Thundercats! (; Plus, I really like having the versatility that an engineer has, so much that now I rarely play anything besides ele or engi. My favorite part of being an engi though is all the trolling I get to do to my enemies while I prybar them in the face and kill them. * evil face * >:)

in Engineer

Posted by: Expiatus.4210

Expiatus.4210

Explosions. Big ones, little ones, confusing ones, smoky ones, timed ones, sticky ones, freezing ones, poisonous ones, piercing ones…even my bullets explode. Engineers are Tyria’s living embodiment of the Overture of 1812!

Oh and rocket turrets.

Anvil Rock – Out manned, out gunned and no repair costs, so Leeroy up and dive in.
See you in Tyria.

in Engineer

Posted by: Remillard.8691

Remillard.8691

I am an engineer because I am an engineer. Quite literally.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dustfinger.9510

Dustfinger.9510

Versatility. I’m not locked in to just one role. I’m adaptable.

in Engineer

Posted by: Tsyras.5274

Tsyras.5274

+1

in Engineer

Posted by: Rayean.8726

Rayean.8726

I am an engineer because a Sylavri Engineer seemed like a hilarious contradiction and I had to make it work in an rp setting as well.

Also, because I am forever destined to always pick the mmo class that sees continual nerfs (And ‘bug’ fixes) as I watch the silver lining turn into a dark storm. Then, I go “Screw it, it’s still fun and now I don’t have to put up with all the other whiners. NOW ITS JUST ME, HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!”

in Engineer

Posted by: Aristio.2784

Aristio.2784

- Reflects
- Condition Removal
- Team heals
- Immobilize
- Vulnerability
- Burst
- Stealth
- 1500 ranged aoe
And more!

I wouldn’t say we have stealth. We have Stealth the same way Warriors have burning. Everything else I would agree on.

I’m an Engineer because I really enjoy technology-based classes. I also really enjoy being versatile. Rifles also have to be the coolest weapons in the game. Nothing says awesome like a Rifle.

in Engineer

Posted by: Halcyon.7352

Halcyon.7352

I play engineer because it suits my semi-spastic random gameplay.

I agree with Blackbeard, personally. I was never good at managing and timing critical cooldowns, so classes like elementalist bore me.

I love being able to be as reactionary and flexible as an engineer can be, being able to choose when and how to chain my abilities.

If I wanted rotations, I’d go back to WoW.

Tarnished Coast Engineer and… general alt-o-holic.

For the toast!

in Engineer

Posted by: JubeiTM.5763

JubeiTM.5763

Because I can reinvent myself whenever I want, how I want and still make the build work in all PVE, PVP and WVE.

A few traits fixes and reworks and we are complete.

in Engineer

Posted by: Penguin.5197

Penguin.5197

What drew me in to the class were probably the turrets and flamethrower. What keeps me going though is all the new ways I can play my engies everytime I complete a new set for them. Engies to me are in a spot right now where they have plenty of decent builds to try from and its fun finding them.

Curently Im playing turrets with pure settlers armor and undead runes (make the most out of toughness). Let me say I am pretty much unkillable, while being able to heal and support my fa’ers. The best part is even in small skirmishes I still got enough dps to kill people thanks to the fact that turrets have set damage but still scale with condition.

(edited by Penguin.5197)

in Engineer

Posted by: Cameirus.8407

Cameirus.8407

I got bored spamming one button on my guardian and still suceeding…..

Whilst I like guardians thematically, they have a play style only slightly more engaging than warriors.

Engineers, whilst lacking in pure power compared to there professions are at least interesing to play.

in Engineer

Posted by: Soon.5240

Soon.5240

What’s not been commented on is to me the most obvious. It’s that Engineers are just plain funny.

Nothing beats pulling someone to you with a magnet, bopping them with a pry bar, fumigating them and then bopping out while leaving an acid bomb for them to stew in.

Oh yeah, and then shooting them with your belt buckle as a parting gift.

in Engineer

Posted by: nakoda.4213

nakoda.4213

flamethrower

Boundaries are for the effortless.
Benn E Violence :: 0/20/30/20/0
You kittens don’t even know what the prefix “meta” means.

in Engineer

Posted by: Zorgog.3908

Zorgog.3908

I love my engi so much that I haven’t even been able to bring myself to lvl another character lol. Sad but true. Sure i’ve mastered a few other classes for pvp, but engi is my mainstay. I can do almost anything all the other classes do and sometimes better so what’s the point?

PvP only
Team GASM

in Engineer

Posted by: XelNigma.6315

XelNigma.6315

I started out as going to main a necro as a minion master, then that fell through pretty quickly. Kinda like when I found out that the Squig Herder in Warhammer online had a flock size of 1.
So I changed to my back up, the engineer. (just like I did in warhammer oddly enough) I like turrets and gadgets. And one day there will be a game where I can build up my own mini fortress. A lot of games claim this for the engineer class, none have really delivered tho. Except for maybe Global Agenda, you get a few engineers together and you have your self a legit fortress.

So in short, Im an engi because the necro sucks as a MM and I love turrets and drones.

in Engineer

Posted by: Bull Zooker.1672

Bull Zooker.1672

I have rolled an engie (last night) because I have seen videos of them being played like an elementalist (swapping kits all the time and quite dynamic) as ele’s are EVERYWHERE I thought the engie would be fun.

I like the feel of pistol/shield with grenades and eventually bombs and tool kit as utilities, giving me a guaranteed skill to use for a given situation.

so far I haven’t been disappointed.

Grandad Fester / Unruly Pigeon – Necromancer by trade

in Engineer

Posted by: Sitkaz.5463

Sitkaz.5463

I rolled an engineer after my ranger, warrior, and mesmer (none of which I had to 80 yet) because I wanted to use dual pistols and turrets. It was the first character I leveled right to 80, and THEN I discovered the flamethrower and elixir gun. It’s like there’s nothing she can’t do. Just when I’m lighting everything on fire and making my greatsword friend feel bad, I switch to elixirs and heal people up and cripple the baddies, then start shooting electricity. And something sprays conditions on all of us and it takes everyone down but me because I’m immune, or I convert them to boons.

I’ve read a lot online saying I won’t ever do enough damage or have enough utility, but it feels like a lot to me and I’ve never had a complaint about my contribution.

in Engineer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

I’m an Engineer because; TOO. MANY. POSSIBIRITIES.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Engineer

Posted by: Plyte.8130

Plyte.8130

- Reflects
- Condition Removal
- Team heals
- Immobilize
- Vulnerability
- Burst
- Stealth
- 1500 ranged aoe
And more!

I wouldn’t say we have stealth. We have Stealth the same way Warriors have burning. Everything else I would agree on.

I’m an Engineer because I really enjoy technology-based classes. I also really enjoy being versatile. Rifles also have to be the coolest weapons in the game. Nothing says awesome like a Rifle.

Smoke bomb into acid bomb for area stealth is really useful for escaping. Plus in dungeons I can Big ol bomb, smoke bomb, healing turret, shield 4, and acid bomb for 8 seconds of stealth. Its like a shadow refuge when I need to sneak in arah or CM. Or simply big ol bomb, smoke bomb, and shield 4 for 4 seconds of stealth and 2 knockbacks for rezzing someone.

in Engineer

Posted by: SmoothHussler.6387

SmoothHussler.6387

Especially in PvP theres like a flood of engis and bad ppl rerolling sooo not sure if u can still be proud of being HARDCORE UNDERGROUND!

Sure you can. Especially if you roll one outside of pvp in pve and especially in wvw.

I’m an engineer (and it is my favourite class) because its wacky and I love all the gadgets.

Maguuma: Thug Life: [DERP][ME][PYRO] and other assorted dead guilds.

in Engineer

derekgrant.6504

I’ve read a lot online saying I won’t ever do enough damage or have enough utility, but it feels like a lot to me and I’ve never had a complaint about my contribution.

This ^

in Engineer

Posted by: lunyboy.8672

lunyboy.8672

This thread is full of reasons I love my engineer, and as my main, I generally don’t play my other toons at all.

I have been working on expanding my versatility, and it is just amazing the number of roles I can fulfill in different game modes like Fractal dungeons, WvW, or even farming Orr/Southsun… often simultaneously.

At one point, I considered collecting gear and making “tribute” builds that would echo other professions via runes, sigils, skills, utilities, and consumables. But I never got around to it, because it would be so gimmicky that the expense wouldn’t be worth it.

I still want to try a minion sigil, though, just to confuse people who I am attacking.

Miss Fisthammer – Engineer | Urgard Fistorsen – Guardian
Physti – Elementalist | Fistful of Blades – Thief
[WHIP] Quaggan Slavers – HoD

in Engineer

Posted by: Bogey.5423

Bogey.5423

Because I find it to be most challenging to play in WvW, hence most interesting.

[Hex]

in Engineer

Posted by: Jigain.8231

Jigain.8231

You think you know me?

I’m on top of the fort you’re trying to capture. Oh, what’s that red circle? Probably nothing. Now you’re choking on my gas grenades, and you can’t roll far enough to take you out of it because your body is numb with ice. Something flashes, you can’t see, where am I? I’m right behind you, setting you on fire. Finally you find yourself able to run away, what’s following you? A ball of napalm, that’s what. It explodes, it burns, it hurts so much. Then the hurting stops. You’re lying on the ground, gasping for breath. A wall of fire spreads on top of you. Do I keep up the assault? I do not. I’ve already dismissed you. What am I doing? I’m dodging through all of your friends, I chug a potion. I deploy a turret, where did it go? I destroyed it. Suddenly I’m back up to full health, and your friends shouldn’t have stood so close to the cliff. Some of them are smart enough to dodge through me when they see the bubble appear. Most aren’t. Half of your friends just went flying, what’s on my screen? Numbers, many numbers, high numbers. That’s the experience coming in. Your friends start falling back, what do I do? I pull out the rifle. One of the poor suckers get netted, I turn the rifle to the ground, and within the blink of a moment I descend upon him from above like a thirsty vampire. Before he can react he’s already taken a Blunderbuss at point blank. He turns to face me, where am I? I’m already gone with an overcharged shot. I get up, he gets up, supply drop goes down. Netted again. I leave the turrets to finish him off as I head to meet up with the commander.

You think you know me?

I am Engineer. I embody versatility, utility, cunning. Adaptability. I am dynamic, flowing. I shape the battle in my favor using every tool at my disposal.

This is who I am.

This post may contain a high concentration of sarcasm and irony.
If you are allergic to these ingredients, do not consume.

in Engineer

Posted by: Grok Krog.9581

Grok Krog.9581

My main is a Warrior but I do like my Engineer.

Their damage is better than what I’ve read. Running a Bomb build getting 3-3.5K on crit with the Bomb auto-attack, also giving some AoE might to nearby group members and stacking vulnerability on foes. I think Engineer isn’t as useless as people say

Grok Walking Amongst Mere Mortals

in Engineer

Posted by: Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Like Forty Seven Ninjas.6982

Ha thats actually the reason i did mine first too :P.

I stay an engineer because everything else seems too simple – I like having tons of skills to use!

DH Yak’s Bend – Perfect Dark [PD]
Dr Hoppenheimer – Engi / Meowzir – Guard /
Mulcibur Nox – Ele / Mr Directed – Mes

in Engineer

Bull Zooker.1672

You think you know me?

I’m on top of the fort you’re trying to capture. Oh, what’s that red circle? Probably nothing. Now you’re choking on my gas grenades, and you can’t roll far enough to take you out of it because your body is numb with ice. Something flashes, you can’t see, where am I? I’m right behind you, setting you on fire. Finally you find yourself able to run away, what’s following you? A ball of napalm, that’s what. It explodes, it burns, it hurts so much. Then the hurting stops. You’re lying on the ground, gasping for breath. A wall of fire spreads on top of you. Do I keep up the assault? I do not. I’ve already dismissed you. What am I doing? I’m dodging through all of your friends, I chug a potion. I deploy a turret, where did it go? I destroyed it. Suddenly I’m back up to full health, and your friends shouldn’t have stood so close to the cliff. Some of them are smart enough to dodge through me when they see the bubble appear. Most aren’t. Half of your friends just went flying, what’s on my screen? Numbers, many numbers, high numbers. That’s the experience coming in. Your friends start falling back, what do I do? I pull out the rifle. One of the poor suckers get netted, I turn the rifle to the ground, and within the blink of a moment I descend upon him from above like a thirsty vampire. Before he can react he’s already taken a Blunderbuss at point blank. He turns to face me, where am I? I’m already gone with an overcharged shot. I get up, he gets up, supply drop goes down. Netted again. I leave the turrets to finish him off as I head to meet up with the commander.

You think you know me?

I am Engineer. I embody versatility, utility, cunning. Adaptability. I am dynamic, flowing. I shape the battle in my favor using every tool at my disposal.

This is who I am.

I actually really enjoyed reading that! was fun.

in Engineer

derekgrant.6504

I wonder what a dev who plays an engineer would say, considering they have a deeper connection to the game, and probably the profession.

in Engineer

Posted by: Jigain.8231

Jigain.8231

Are you saying they have a real emotional connection with the profession?

#TrendingMeme

This post may contain a high concentration of sarcasm and irony.
If you are allergic to these ingredients, do not consume.

in Engineer

Posted by: Haette.2701

Haette.2701

Because the engineer rifle is the best weapon in the game.

We got the best deal on the shield, too.

in Engineer

Posted by: Phineas Poe.3018

Phineas Poe.3018

Because the engineer rifle is the best weapon in the game.

What makes you say that?

[EG] Ethereal Guardians

in Engineer

Posted by: Rok.5260

Rok.5260

You think you know me?

You think you know me?

This is who I am.

Huh… I’ve been wondering what profession I should go for my 3rd character… and I think you just convinced me lol.

in Engineer

Posted by: Hebee.8460

Hebee.8460

I love the explosions from Grenades/Bombs/Mines. Flamethrower/Elixir Gun/Tool Kit is fun. The variety in complimentary Elixirs make all the other kits great to combo with, but I really wish gadgets were much better/desirable.
The fact we have a kit for nearly every occasion is what I really like, and the complexity to how they are used is what keeps me on him & cant get enough of.

in Engineer

Posted by: eldain stenlund.4306

eldain stenlund.4306

engineer have FLAMETHROWER.

in Engineer

Bull Zooker.1672

Huh… I’ve been wondering what profession I should go for my 3rd character… and I think you just convinced me lol.
[/quote]

hey man, I have 5 lvl 80’s a lvl 55 and a lvl 10. I picked up engineer a few days ago and haven’t had this much fun/rewarding feeling during play in game yet. I main a necro (2 necro’s actually) and think engineer may give my main a run for its money if I keep having this much fun.

if you dont roll engie you’ll regret it!