Rabid vs Zerker Grenades in WvW

in Engineer

Posted by: Bloodgruve.6038

Bloodgruve.6038

I really like Grenades in Zerg vs Zerg and ‘storming the castle’. I’ve been having issues racking up kills though. I currently run full Rabid and 30/10/0/0/30 Grenades and Gadgets. Would a zerker setup be more effective or should I stick with conditions? I don’t do a lot of roaming. I am still working on improving my play also so it is a factor.

TY for your input,

Blood~

“Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance”

in Engineer

Posted by: Shimdroid.2765

Shimdroid.2765

In ZvZ conditions are as effective (as I discovered myself ), so, if you plain to stick with zerg most of the time, I suggest you to try a direct damage approach, there’s just too many cleansing going on in zergfests.

in Engineer

Posted by: Deniara Devious.3948

Deniara Devious.3948

If you want maximum amount of loot bags I would suggest something else than playing a grenade engineer. One grenade does around 250-500 per hit, which is not yet enough to tag the target. Grenades spread so it is likely that only 1-2 grenades hits the same target and you won’t necessarily get any loot or WXP. Grenades travel slowly and you are prone to get tons of retaliation damage back. All the moments spend on healing and running away means you are not tagging or hurting the enemy. Anycase take some defense, because you won’t tag anything when you’re dead.

A staff + wells power or hybrid necromancer or staff elementalists would probably do the job much easier. And be more friendly to your fingers.

You didn’t tell what kind of zergs you are facing. If it is mostly the average PuG teams, then retaliation is not much of an issue. You can keep spamming the ’nades from far and not worried getting nuked. For that I would actually recommend mixed gear (e.g. take some celestial gear). Condition damage is a bit slow and very good enemy teams will cleans conditions very fast and are often running 6x Melandru runes + lemongrass poultry soup, which means -65% reduced condition duration, but your traits already give you +30% condition duration, so that offsets to -35%. If you go conditions you should really get an armor, which increases your condition duration and eat koi cakes or similar to get +40% condition duration.

Deniara / Ayna – I want the original WvWvW maps back – Desolation [EU]

(edited by Deniara Devious.3948)

in Engineer

Posted by: Knox.8962

Knox.8962

The spread on grenades is the same at max range as it is at close range.

If the grenade hits something in flight, it will detonate, so very very close range can seem like there is almost no spread.

in Engineer

Bloodgruve.6038

One grenade does around 250-500 per hit, which is not yet enough to tag the target.

Guess this is new to me but is there a minimum amount of damage you need to get a tag?

Usually I run with and run up against decent zergs, but not super organized. This depends on the weeks match up as I’ve seen some super organized zergs though also.

I usually get the daily through sPvP but when I decided to mess with WvW last night I just couldn’t get the kills.

I’ll throw on my zerker gear n see how it goes, also been building some knights for a FT build which may help.

TYVM
Blood~

in Engineer

Posted by: tattoohead.3217

tattoohead.3217

If the grenade hits something in flight, it will detonate, so very very close range can seem like there is almost no spread.

^ Not 100% true, the target area is the same no matter what range but nades spread out as they travel so if your close they will all land in the center of the target area (i.e. all hit 1 person) and st max range they all land at the outside edge of the target area.

To the OP i would say atm nades are built for conditions the Zerker nade build is ok and it may even preform better in a zerg (direct damage is best for taging) BUT there are better power builds.

In short if you love nades go rabid, if you just want a good power build experiment try a Static Discharge build with rifle, great for zerging. Power FT with Might stacking also works well.

in Engineer

Posted by: Knox.8962

Knox.8962

Not 100% true, the target area is the same no matter what range but nades spread out as they travel so if your close they will all land in the center of the target area (i.e. all hit 1 person) and st max range they all land at the outside edge of the target area.

While I agree that they should work that way, they currently do not, unless they were changed very recently.

The flight of the grenades are to some fixed spot randomly selected as angle and radius away from the center of the targeting marker. The maximum radius does not change with distance from the target.

Throw a poison grenade about a foot in front of yourself a few times, and you’ll actually have some of the grenades land behind you.

If you are next to a target, they’ll typically hit and explode on impact, giving the illusion of reduced spread, but with no interference, it is pretty easy to see.

in Engineer

Posted by: dunnberry.2964

dunnberry.2964

Don’t run seeker in WvW you will just die in seconds and you can’t tag when dead, rabid is a good start but you will need more in defense…my personal stats are 30/30/10/0/0 with focusing on grenades and dual pistol for condition…main reason keep 30 in power is for extra nade which really does help…and the conditions from the constant grenades do a ton. Of damage, couple hundred per tick usually

Borlis Pass
Asuran Engineer (Lost)

in Engineer

Bloodgruve.6038

Ty Tattoo, I usually run Rifle/SD and sometimes Power FT in sPvP which I do like. I like the Rabid Grenades for WvW as I’m less GC but I just haven’t had a lot of success with it so far. When attacking a tower I love having grenades to hit the walls, makes you feel more effective but at the same time it seems like more of an annoyance to the enemy than it is effective in taking them down.

dunn, Does +100 Toughness make that big of a difference past full Rabid? That build does look appealing though.

Blood~

(edited by Bloodgruve.6038)

in Engineer

tattoohead.3217

Nades are fun on towers, both attacking and defending. And just because your not killing people does not mean your not useful, every second they are not shooting at your team helps. Plus IMO a lot of PvP is psychological having stuff blow up in your face is scarry man lol it makes you move a lot more often than having someone shoot at you.

in Engineer

Posted by: Grimwolf.7163

Grimwolf.7163

^ Not 100% true, the target area is the same no matter what range but nades spread out as they travel so if your close they will all land in the center of the target area (i.e. all hit 1 person) and st max range they all land at the outside edge of the target area.

To the OP i would say atm nades are built for conditions the Zerker nade build is ok and it may even preform better in a zerg (direct damage is best for taging) BUT there are better power builds.

In short if you love nades go rabid, if you just want a good power build experiment try a Static Discharge build with rifle, great for zerging. Power FT with Might stacking also works well.

I’m not terribly experienced with the Engineer, but my experience is that the amount of spread is predetermined; if you throw them far, they’ll spread out slowly. If you throw them close, they’ll spread out quickly. So regardless of distance they spread the same amount.

in Engineer

tattoohead.3217

Have not played with nades for a while, this was not always the case

in Engineer

Posted by: imaginary.6241

imaginary.6241

Well yes, It wasn’t always like this and I’ve already reported that …

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/engineer/BUG-Grenades-Hit-Detection-faulty/first#post2505374

An GM responded to me that an Developer will give me an Response in one of my Threads, but that hasn’t happened yet. Glad to hear that I’m not the only one that did notice that odd behaviour. Feel free to add to my thread if you want it to get looked at …

Klakk Bumm. One of the Leaders of TxS, the European Tequatl Slayer Alliance.
Click to apply for Daily EU Tequatl Kills here
My Guides: xPvP Mighty Stealth Bomber

(edited by imaginary.6241)

in Engineer

tattoohead.3217

I will +1 it apparently that’s how we get there attention lol