Am I the only one that likes the name?

in Guardian

Posted by: bigbobpataki.4796

bigbobpataki.4796

I like the name Dragonhunter. Considering that dragon’s are the great evil of the world, and guardians have the justice/smiting evil theme going on, whats wrong with combining the two and saying “I smite the great evil, dragons”?

Paragon, justicar, etc. aren’t exciting and pretty bland imo and do not fit what they want to do with elite specs, which is to take unique spins on classes.

(edited by bigbobpataki.4796)

in Guardian

Posted by: Eggs.3142

Eggs.3142

Your not. People were just a little blind sided by the idea and traps. In time no one will care about the name. Or the traps.

It just goes to show you that Anet is willing to really change up how a class plays, so in the future we might need to widen our ideas as to what rolls class can fill.

in Guardian

Posted by: Pitman.9210

Pitman.9210

Yup.

Sorry, I’m a Dragonhunter, so I can’t help the world with this thing that isn’t a dragon but will destroy the world.

in Guardian

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Personally I highly dislike the name. It is very generic and unoriginal in my opinion. Plus the theme seems to be shoehorned in. Technically aren’t we all Dragon Hunters? I killed a dragon and multiple dragon minions as a Necromancer and I’m now hunting Mordremoth, doesn’t that make me a Dragon Hunter?

In all, the light theme and the wings (which aren’t dragon wings) as well as the theme just don’t seem to fit well. I don’t know though, we’ll see if it grows on me.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Guardian

Posted by: Marvinus.4780

Marvinus.4780

Yes you are ^^!!!

in Guardian

Posted by: FoRcExVoRtEx.9548

FoRcExVoRtEx.9548

I doubt you are the only one, but I hate it. Technically all of us are dragonhunters, even the chronomancer is a ‘dragonhunter’, and the name does not even fit how the spec. looks anyway with its animations etc.. Even if it is not completely suited to the playstyle of the first elite spec for Guardian, I would have loved to have a more Guardian-like name, such as Zealot or Paragon.

in Guardian

bigbobpataki.4796

Yup.

Sorry, I’m a Dragonhunter, so I can’t help the world with this thing that isn’t a dragon but will destroy the world.

So with that same logic an elementalist shouldn’t use arcane abilities because they only should use elements?

in Guardian

Posted by: Sauncho.8076

Sauncho.8076

If you like this generic kitten name you should go apply to work for ANET. I’m sure you’d fare well.

How a group of developers could sit around a table and come up with the name “Dragonhunter” is beyond me. And how a boss could sign off on it is beyond words.

No wonder Guardians have been “in a good place” forever and a day. These guys don’t have a clue. And now traps?

“Pimpin aint ez”

in Guardian

bigbobpataki.4796

If you like this generic kitten name you should go apply to work for ANET. I’m sure you’d fare well.

Because zealot, paragon, justicar, etc. aren’t generic and are totally original names for a holy warrior?

in Guardian

Posted by: Godric.3012

Godric.3012

I hate the name too .

in Guardian

Posted by: Arken.3725

Arken.3725

I love the name, sounds bad kitten .

in Guardian

Eggs.3142

Personally I highly dislike the name. It is very generic and unoriginal in my opinion. Plus the theme seems to be shoehorned in. Technically aren’t we all Dragon Hunters? I killed a dragon and multiple dragon minions as a Necromancer and I’m now hunting Mordremoth, doesn’t that make me a Dragon Hunter?

In all, the light theme and the wings (which aren’t dragon wings) as well as the theme just don’t seem to fit well. I don’t know though, we’ll see if it grows on me.

You’ve slain dragons. I bet you even have a drake Slayer achievement.

Everyone in Tyria is fighting against some sort of dragon. Or maybe, to be more acurate fighting against the symptoms brought on by some sort of dragon. The Norn kill the Svanir, the Charr the Branded. Everyone would say yes if you asked them “Would you like to help those effected by Mordermoth?”

But only guardians responded by making a vow that they would personaly shoot a flaming arrow down its throat and watch as it exploded into a million flaming plant chunks, setting the whole of Maguuma ablaze in the purifying blue white fires of justice so that the scourge would forever be wiped from the face of Tyria

… then again. I guess fighting the Shatter’s toe is kinda the same thing. N’est-ce pas?

in Guardian

Posted by: Markin.9167

Markin.9167

I like too, i’m quite sure there is some kind of lore behind this.

in Guardian

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

Am I the only one who doesn’t care? Why does the name matter so much?

in Guardian

Posted by: Wetpaw.3487

Wetpaw.3487

I like the name Dragonhunter. Considering that dragon’s are the great evil of the world, and guardians have the justice/smiting evil theme going on, whats wrong with combining the two and saying “I smite the great evil, dragons”?

Paragon, justicar, etc. aren’t exciting and pretty bland imo and do not fit what they want to do with elite specs, which is to take unique spins on classes.

I enjoyed the update also, just ignore these forum cries. Justicar, Paragon, etc..could be for other specializations or future xpacs.

JQ Druid

in Guardian

Sauncho.8076

“then again. I guess fighting the Shatter’s toe is kinda the same thing. "

This made me lol….

“Pimpin aint ez”

in Guardian

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

I literally cringed when I saw the name on the front page.

That said, having now clicked on and read the article, the mechanics sound awesome. But the name still sounds terrible.

in Guardian

Posted by: quaniesan.8497

quaniesan.8497

I’m so glad that both of my guard’s Bolt and Flameseeker can be inherited by my mesmer.

If ya no longer see me after this post,
it means THEY got me for " neg criticism in clever disguise".
Know that it has been fun and I love ya all.

in Guardian

Posted by: Pitman.9210

Pitman.9210

Yup.

So with that same logic an elementalist shouldn’t use arcane abilities because they only should use elements?

Huh? Even if an elementalist uses arcane skills he still uses element skills. Now a dragonhunter hunts dragons but if he doesn’t then… well…

You could’ve tried Guardian instead of Elementalist. Then I would say that he still guards, even if no one is there that is affected by it.

in Guardian

Posted by: Electro.4173

Electro.4173

Dragons aren’t really evil. They’re simply forces of nature doing what they’re meant to do. You don’t call a lion evil for hunting a gazelle. So I don’t really agree with your reasoning.

I think the name is silly and unfitting all around. It doesn’t even really aptly describe what the spec does, since most of the abilities don’t even have anything to do with dragons nor would they be particularly effective against them.

I’m not one of the people up in arms going crazy about it, though. Its just a name, and while I think they could have certainly come up with something better, in the end its rather inconsequential.

in Guardian

Posted by: MFranco.9514

MFranco.9514

The name does not fit the role… what kind of hunter gives support instead of dps :S. The name fits perfectly on a dps class, when i saw the name i was hypped since guardian does not have good range dps, except with skill 2 from scepter and is very limited. But they just made another support, more of the same… and this was supposed to be a crowd pleaser… i dont know what crowd they are talking about -_-

in Guardian

Posted by: coconutdown.6512

coconutdown.6512

Lol “DragonHunter” ! Anet made my day haha ^^

in Guardian

Posted by: coconutdown.6512

coconutdown.6512

More wings, more pew pew, great

in Guardian

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

I don’t mind it, but… I find there’s a better one out there. Gonna get thinking on it.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aye.8392

Aye.8392

How does this name possibly fit the class? Back line, ranged, support character. Obviously it should be called Dragonhunter.

/eyeroll

www.AlchemyIncorporated.net
Sorrows Furnace

in Guardian

Eggs.3142

It is a hunter.

It is a hunter of Dragon

It is armed with a long bow, traps and increased mobility. Not to mention a few other things we wont find out about untill tomorrow/HoT release

I will turn it around. How does it not fit the HoT expansion?

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

I’m so glad that both of my guard’s Bolt and Flameseeker can be inherited by my mesmer.

Same, although for me it’ll be Bolt and Eternity. Maybe I’ll have to get a FSP; it’s one of my favorite legendaries but I never got it because lol guardian shield.

in Guardian

Posted by: Wolfmoon.2976

Wolfmoon.2976

Terrible sounding name. Almost anything would be better.

Commander Malacc ~ Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

What’s funny is that people complain about lack of originality but this class is called Guardian.

It’s a name, people. Stop getting caught up in petty nonsense and focus more on the elite and its associated skills.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Guardian

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I don’t think that “Dragonhunter” per se is a bad class name. But good lord… it just doesn’t make any sense in the universe of Guild Wars. Usually I’m very satisfied with ANet when it comes to lore but this just doesn’t make any sense. Every player is a dragon hunter.

Additionally it’s doubtful that the name makes sense from a gameplay perspective either. Why would it? Dragonhunters are unlikely to be especially useful against dragons since boni like these are incorporated into Masteries.

The name just feels too random to me.

in Guardian

Posted by: Leonhardt.8164

Leonhardt.8164

Because zealot, paragon, justicar, etc. aren’t generic and are totally original names for a holy warrior?

at least those names make more sense to suit the power than ’’dragonhunter’’ like wtf his powers are focused on wielding the light not dragons, it’s stupid and makes no sense

in Guardian

Eggs.3142

at least those names make more sense to suit the power than ’’dragonhunter’’ like wtf his powers are focused on wielding the light not dragons, it’s stupid and makes no sense

I hunt Caribou. As far as I know I don’t use the power of the Caribou to hunt them. I use a rifle and a bow sometimes.(sometimes traps too, but not like, the bad bait kinds or the ones that hurt them) Two things not known among the Caribou. This argument is invalid

in Guardian

Posted by: Lord Rheios.4152

Lord Rheios.4152

I don’t mind the name myself. Although I also like some suggestions I’ve heard elsewhere for it like “Dragon Knight” and “Draconeer”.

Plus if Dragonhunter is Guard/Ranger I have this great mental image of Guard/Necro being “Witchhunter”. I don’t mind so much that they didn’t use the other names suggested, I think they should be used for other mash ups. “Zealot” sounds great for a War/Guard, and I like “Paragon” for a Guard/Eng. Not sure what Justicar could fit though.
Sorry, got off topic naming things that don’t exist outside my thoughts.

in Guardian

Posted by: Black Box.9312

Black Box.9312

I don’t mind the name myself. Although I also like some suggestions I’ve heard elsewhere for it like “Dragon Knight” and “Draconeer”.

Plus if Dragonhunter is Guard/Ranger I have this great mental image of Guard/Necro being “Witchhunter”. I don’t mind so much that they didn’t use the other names suggested, I think they should be used for other mash ups. “Zealot” sounds great for a War/Guard, and I like “Paragon” for a Guard/Eng. Not sure what Justicar could fit though.

A Guard/Necro hybrid is already going to be implemented. It’s being called “Revenant”.

in Guardian

Posted by: Softspoken.2410

Softspoken.2410

Honestly, first thing that came to mind was this item from the original Dark Souls. The thing fired lances that were nearly the length of a typical player for ammunition.

So for me, the name is fine. Combined with the longbow, it’s evocative of someone who is more on the “Slow, but strong and heavy strikes” end of the scale. It’s not a slam dunk 10/10 would get hyped for again, but it’s entirely workable.

Mixing insults with your post is like pooping in a salad.
It’s pretty obvious, and nobody’s impressed.

in Guardian

Posted by: Gomssi.7246

Gomssi.7246

I’m sure it can be funnier although i dont like dragonhunter… for example.. they could say……

Holy Archer.

lol

in Guardian

Posted by: Lord Rheios.4152

Lord Rheios.4152

A Guard/Necro hybrid is already going to be implemented. It’s being called “Revenant”.

Revenant is pretty darn flexible as a channeler, and can imitate the combo, but I’m talking about the actual thing so that its less spiritual ritualism and more Van Hellsing burning someone’s corpse.

in Guardian

Posted by: Harvest.2506

Harvest.2506

Sentinel
Paragon
Valkerie
Artemis (credit to Atlas3025 on reddit)
Atlas
Quincy ( Bleach)
Marshal
Signaller http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signaller (also from YugiOh 5D)

Point is we Need one name Classes, shoving 2 names together takes away the hype, and Thunder. The Game has to rebrand itself, with the expansion, not copy off Final Fantasy XI or Skyrim in the cheesist sense. Maybe if Guardians were a class that rise a baby dragon to be a companion with it would make sense, but this is not the case.

in Guardian

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

“Artemis” would be a pretty good name. It invokes the divine archery theme.

Archunter, Sunscout, Whitescout, Whitehunter. All possible names that sound more fitting to me than dragonhunter, and sound better out loud as well.

in Guardian

Posted by: misterdevious.6482

misterdevious.6482

The name is hollow unless this specialization is the best at finding and killing dragons. If the spec is not better than others at hunting dragons, then the name is a lie, and that is not a good way to start anything.

The name is generic and has nothing to do with light/divine/spiritual aspects of the core profession. Dragon Hunter doesn’t fit the “Good” aspect of the profession. The theme seems out of place, and choosing this one means not choosing any of the interesting ones in this thematic territory.

• The Druid presumably will have more to do with plants and living things than current rangers do. Rangers are the wilderness/nature theme profession.
  • The Chronomancer will do more manipulation of reality and time than current mesmers do. Mesmers are the master manipulators.
  • The Dragon Hunter will do more dragon hunting than regular guardians do. Guardians are the masters of hunting big-game*.

Which of those doesn’t sound right?

* (Technically they did say this in one of the very early convention streams because guardians had aegis and blind to block big powerful hits which made them effective against big slow attackers like oakhearts.)

in Guardian

Posted by: Genesis.8572

Genesis.8572

You’re not the only one who likes it, but you are certainly on the margins.

The problem is that the ‘Dragonhunter’ does nothing to evoke the core concepts of the ‘Guardian’ baseclass. The name sounds like it should be a ‘Warrior’ or ‘Ranger’ specialization, but not one for the ‘Guardian.’

Will Hawkins (Human Guardian)
Feryl Grimsteel (Charr Engineer)
Tarnished Coast

in Guardian

Posted by: Swizzle.7982

Swizzle.7982

I think the main problem with the name is that it’s simply nondescriptive.

With names like chronomancer, elementalist, warrior or ranger, you’re immediately clued in to what that profession is about. But Dragonhunter… so they hunt dragons? Well we all hunt dragons, it tells you nothing. Beyond that it doesn’t seem to fit with the guardian at all.

I mean, look at chronomancer (naming done right). The class is about duality, past and future, which fits with the duality of lyssa. Manipulation is also a theme of the mesmer and that too is seen in the chronomancer spec.

Or the Druid, all we know about it is the name, but the nature theme which is part of the ranger is still evoked in the word druid.

But the D hunter is not thematically congruent with anything the guardian does. When you think of guardians what do you think of, probably things like support, protection, virtuous blue flames exploding all over the place. Probably not hunting dragons, at least no more than anyone else. The skills shown also seem to have absolutely nothing to do with hunting dragons (at a very long stretch you could say traps, but those will presumably affect things other than dragons).

Oh well, looking forward to hammerguy and shoutman.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

The name is awesome…. anyone advocating dumb stuff like Paragon, etc… has no imagination. People simply can’t break out of the stereotypical ideas in MMO’s, online, computer or on paper.

I do not want to be convinced I’m playing a ‘Paladin-like’ class just because of a name. It’s a pretty smart move because if they did name it something unoriginal like “Paragon”, then you would have hoard of players asking why the class doesn’t have ‘Paragon’ skills or why it’s not more “paragon” feel in it’s play. No one has an expectation for what a Dragon hunter should be, so the concept is free to explore and try things. BRAVO!

Anet, please keep breaking ground and doing what fits with your game concept.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

Posted by: Rising Dusk.2408

Rising Dusk.2408

I literally cringed when I saw the name on the front page.

Also, Swizzle’s post above is spot-on. Dragonhunter tells you absolutely nothing about what it does.

[VZ] Valor Zeal – Stormbluff Isle – Looking for steady, casual-friendly NA raiders!

in Guardian

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

But only guardians responded by making a vow that they would personaly shoot a flaming arrow down its throat and watch as it exploded into a million flaming plant chunks, setting the whole of Maguuma ablaze in the purifying blue white fires of justice so that the scourge would forever be wiped from the face of Tyria

OK.

Slightly more sold on the name now.

in Guardian

Arken.3725

Everyone in Tyria is fighting against some sort of dragon. Or maybe, to be more acurate fighting against the symptoms brought on by some sort of dragon. The Norn kill the Svanir, the Charr the Branded. Everyone would say yes if you asked them “Would you like to help those effected by Mordermoth?”

I like you.

in Guardian

Posted by: Satenia.9025

Satenia.9025

The problem is that the ‘Dragonhunter’ does nothing to evoke the core concepts of the ‘Guardian’ baseclass. The name sounds like it should be a ‘Warrior’ or ‘Ranger’ specialization, but not one for the ‘Guardian.’

Yeah, my feelings as well. Had I just read the name without any further reference, I would have thought of a ranger or a warrior. Certainly not guardian.

I’m also not convinced that they can make bows and traps work in PvE. They are seriously lacking now.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

Yeah, my feelings as well. Had I just read the name without any further reference, I would have thought of a ranger or a warrior. Certainly not guardian.

I’m also not convinced that they can make bows and traps work in PvE. They are seriously lacking now.

I agree but then again, did anyone here ACTUALLY want a long ranged weapon for PVE? When more details are available, I think it will be evident the LB will be primarily a PVP/WvW weapon. This is what people asked for.

in Guardian

Sauncho.8076

@ Obtena and Arken, I am kind of disappointed in both of you. Both of you are relatively well known in the Guardian community and both of you like the name “DragonHunter?” Ugh….I’m not sure what to think.

It’s easy to come up with some kitten lore about guardians answering the call to kill dragons with arrows, but in reality, it just doesn’t fit the theme of what a guardian is…

“protect their allies and smite their enemies by drawing from the power of their virtues. True guardians are brilliant tacticians and selfless defenders who know when to sacrifice their own defenses to empower their allies to achieve victory.”

DragonHunters will still have 2/3 Guardian traits. So why then are we changing the theme of the class?

“Pimpin aint ez”

in Guardian

Arken.3725

You’re right, the name doesn’t really fit the theme of the Guardian profession. I just think the name itself is kind of neat and that’s it. I was honestly hoping for something like Justicar, Winged Knight or even Vanquisher to name a few.