Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Niim.9260

Niim.9260

I just want to re-iterate that I support people that want to play gear other than Zerker’s, I just accept the reality that it’s less overall efficient.

Depends on the group and the individual, dead/downed do no damage.

The trick to play with zerker gear is to not die. I mean, it is the main idea in this game (or any game, actually), in general.

Yes exactly my point, thanks.

~ AoN ~

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Boonprot.6274

Boonprot.6274

I just want to re-iterate that I support people that want to play gear other than Zerker’s, I just accept the reality that it’s less overall efficient.

The trick to play with zerker gear is to not die. I mean, it is the main idea in this game (or any game, actually), in general.

Then what you’re saying is that it’s an L2P issue, and not so much a gear issue? Thought so.

Supreme Commander Boonprot, Lord Regent of the Portals
Boonprot 80 G
[Ark] Maguuma

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Niim.9260

Then what you’re saying is that it’s an L2P issue, and not so much a gear issue? Thought so.

That is exactly what I am saying.

~ AoN ~

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Sure and there isn’t a reason for doing that, just like it’s unreasonable to kick someone who doesn’t wear the gear you want part way through a dungeon.

I will always kick a pug that wears PVT gear no matter what class they are playing. It demonstrates that they have no idea what they are doing and that they will slow the run down.

Your friend from europe must have awesome telekinetic powers because I find it hard to dodge attacks when I see the animation 2 seconds after the hit. But whatever, that’s not the point.

The point is if DPS builds become the norm and everything else is considered “selfish”, GW2 will cease to be an RPG and turn into a modern day version of Raiden. A role playing game that doesn’t allow you to play actual roles in combat (except wearing silly outfits), does that sound like fun to you?

He doesn’t have telekinetic powers, he has skill that comes from practice.

Wearing PVT gear is selfish because it is a very clear demonstration that someone doesn’t care to learn, doesn’t want to pay attention to game mechanics, and just wants to be the last one standing when the rest of the group is dead. Someone like that is a leech and has no place in a dungeon group.

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I will always kick a pug that wears PVT gear no matter what class they are playing. It demonstrates that they have no idea what they are doing and that they will slow the run down.

It also demonstrates you have made some bad or incorrect assumptions about people, their skills and the effect their gear has overall, on your team’s ability to run successful dungeons. That’s OK though, it’s as reasonable for us to expect people to be as knowledgeable about these things as it is for everyone to ‘learn’ how to play and run dungeons in full zerker gear.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

It also demonstrates you have made some bad or incorrect assumptions about people, their skills and the effect their gear has overall, on your team’s ability to run successful dungeons. That’s OK though, it’s as reasonable for us to expect people to be as knowledgeable about these things as it is for everyone to ‘learn’ how to play and run dungeons in full zerker gear.

No it doesn’t. If someone wants to wear PVT and slow down a run, they can find a different group. Someone that wears PVT isn’t out to learn, they are out to try to blend in and use their gear as a crutch for bad playing.

Brazil

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

No it doesn’t. If someone wants to wear PVT and slow down a run, they can find a different group.

I’m going to recommend you have a full look at the thread … this has already been debunked as nonsense unless your lost seconds (not minutes) are that valuable to you. A player’s gear has a very small impact on the overall runtime.

In fact, the time you lose being selective about team mates or replacing the guy you kicked with someone else will be much greater than the time you lose running a dungeon with people who are not full zerker. Whatever. No one said logic was a per-requisite for playing MMO’s.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

No it doesn’t. If someone wants to wear PVT and slow down a run, they can find a different group.

I’m going to recommend you have a full look at the thread … this has already been debunked as nonsense unless your lost seconds (not minutes) are that valuable to you. A player’s gear has a very small impact on the overall runtime.

Insert palm into face in 5,4,3,2….1

Whatever. No one said logic was a per-requisite for playing MMO’s.

Only part that made sense to me.

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

In fact, the time you lose being selective about team mates or replacing the guy you kicked with someone else will be much greater than the time you lose running a dungeon with people who are not full zerker. Whatever. No one said logic was a per-requisite for playing MMO’s.

You see, the thing is that those seconds and minutes are very valuable when you are speedrunning and farming rewards. They add up quite fast and you don’t seem to have a concept of this. Being selective beforehand prevents constant wipes and not being able to finish dungeons, so you are eliminating possibility of failure before you start. Letting anyone in that may or may not care about how to play and is most likely going to be bad is a very good way to have a very bad time.

Also, a player’s gear has a very large impact on clear times and is usually a good indicator of how good or bad they are. If you have a bad player using bad gear like PVT, they will slow the run down, pull aggro in certain areas, kite bosses or mobs around and have no idea what they are doing, and slow things down due to terrible DPS. A bad player wearing Berserker’s gear will either learn to adapt or die and let the better players finish the encounter without them. Then they will learn the hard way, and that will help them. A very skilled player using PVT will still slow down encounters because they simply don’t output high damage and the survivability will serve no purpose. A very skilled player using Berserker’s gear will provide strong DPS and not slow the run down. Gear is one side of the equation, player skill is the other side. This is a concept that you need to understand and clearly don’t.

Brazil

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

And I’m saying that I personally feel I do notice it when fights are dragging on for way longer than usual.

It wouldn’t be such a problem if bosses weren’t such atrocious HP sponges.

No you don’t. You think you do, and assign the blame to the one PVT pug on your party.

Let’s run the numbers. Say for example a typical 12-min dungeon run. Now usually half the time will be spent running from place A to place B, skipping through cut scenes, dodging rolling stones/standing on pillars or whatever puzzle the dungeon has. All this has nothing to do with PVT armor. So you spend around 6 mins in a typical 12-min run actually fighting, where DPS makes a difference.

Then let’s say the PVT guy does half damage of your typical full-zerker (for those of you who think PVT can’t even do half damage, https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Best-PvE-tank-bunker-build/first#post2508972 ), and that’s being very stringent. Since you have 5 members on a party, that constitutes a 10% drop in DPS. 6 min = 360 sec. 360 divided by 9/10 is 400. So instead of finishing a run in 12 mins, you finish it in 12 min 40 sec, a 5.3% increase in time spent.

If you’re running dungeons religiously 4 hrs a day like a second job, you end up wasting 12 min per day because you took on a PVT pug. Bathroom breaks take longer than that. The time you spend posting wall-of-texts on zerker elitism in this thread takes longer than that. Are you seriously suggesting your time is so precious that taking 12 extra mins per day is going to kill you? Do you have to be at the gym in 26 mins? If time is so precious to you, shouldn’t you not spend 4 hours a day playing video games?

All those anecdotes cited by zerker fanboys about how a 12 min run dragged into 30~40 mins because one guy had the gall to wear PVT are simply lies. No gear has that much effect in the game, unless you’re constantly dying and requiring others to spend time rezzing you. Which you will, if you’re a noob wearing zerker because everyone on the boards say you should.

Quoted since some people are too lazy to skim threads.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

And I’m saying that I personally feel I do notice it when fights are dragging on for way longer than usual.

No you don’t. You think you do, and assign the blame to the one PVT pug on your party.

Let’s run the numbers. Say for example a typical 12-min dungeon run. Now usually half the time will be spent running from place A to place B, skipping through cut scenes, dodging rolling stones/standing on pillars or whatever puzzle the dungeon has. All this has nothing to do with PVT armor. So you spend around 6 mins in a typical 12-min run actually fighting, where DPS makes a difference.

Then let’s say the PVT guy does half damage of your typical full-zerker (for those of you who think PVT can’t even do half damage, https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Best-PvE-tank-bunker-build/first#post2508972 ), and that’s being very stringent. Since you have 5 members on a party, that constitutes a 10% drop in DPS. 6 min = 360 sec. 360 divided by 9/10 is 400. So instead of finishing a run in 12 mins, you finish it in 12 min 40 sec, a 5.3% increase in time spent.

If you’re running dungeons religiously 4 hrs a day like a second job, you end up wasting 12 min per day because you took on a PVT pug. Bathroom breaks take longer than that. The time you spend posting wall-of-texts on zerker elitism in this thread takes longer than that. Are you seriously suggesting your time is so precious that taking 12 extra mins per day is going to kill you? Do you have to be at the gym in 26 mins? If time is so precious to you, shouldn’t you not spend 4 hours a day playing video games?

All those anecdotes cited by zerker fanboys about how a 12 min run dragged into 30~40 mins because one guy had the gall to wear PVT are simply lies. No gear has that much effect in the game, unless you’re constantly dying and requiring others to spend time rezzing you. Which you will, if you’re a noob wearing zerker because everyone on the boards say you should.

I think you should actually read my post. There is no reason for a skilled player or someone that can speedclear a dungeon to use PVT gear. It is unnecessary. The people that want to wear and preach about PVT gear are bad players and use that gear to try and make up for bad skill level. Seeing PVT gear is a definite giveaway of a bad player.

Brazil

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

Seeing PVT gear is a definite giveaway of a bad player.

and the second you put a noob in zerker gear, he’s the biggest liability in that team. Then your philosophical ideals about how gear indicates skill fall apart because they are based on poor assumptions.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Amins.3710

Amins.3710

Re-quoted for the idiots.

Amins – Guardian
Gameplay Video’s & Forum Post

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Flintbrow.7985

Flintbrow.7985

I’d figure if you are super awesome at playing, then yes, it would be helpful to “screen” randoms ( but shouldn’t you be running with your also-awesome guild mates though?)…but that doesn’t seem to rule out newer players who run zerker gear for whatever reason and wipe like crazy. I think if you’re expecting a lot when it comes to player skill, you’re bound to be disappointed with many players who are new-ish to the game or class. I’ll say there is only a “general” correlation between gear and skill. I’m willing to admit to being fairly mediocre as a player so far, that’s why I run a knights/zerker mix with rubies….because I still have some skills to improve.

Neenu Waffler-Warrior for what once was the Toast-

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: yesfourme.8906

yesfourme.8906

Woah there. Nobody deserves a kick for play style. Abuse and harassment, sure. But not play style.

That aside, when gearing with any kind of damage in mind always make sure that you have some kind of crit damage gear in your shoulders, gloves, and boots as well as your accessories. You get the most efficient crit damage per stat points that way. PVT gear is not horrible, damage wise – it has the highest power potential out of any stat combo when used with sharpening stones. If you are going to mix and match, I’ do Berserker amulet, Soldier rings, Berserker accessories with Soldier helm, chest, and legs and Berserker shoulder, gloves and boots. That will yield the most efficient stat point usage. You’ll be able to trait in whatever direction you want, offensively or defensively.

If you’re exclusively doing PvE, pack on as many damage multipliers as you can. Fiery Wrath, Radiant Power, Elusive Power, Force sigils, etc will boost your damage considerably.

kicking for play style is wrong (to an extent) but wasting. Other peoples time warrants a kick every time

But you don’t get to decide if another person is wasting your time based on his/her gear. You simply can’t know just because of that-you are ASSUMING he/she will waste your time, much like people make unfair real-life assumptions based on individual preferences, backgrounds, etc. Someone may very well “waste your time” with the “right” gear (according to you.)

your right they may, thats why when my guilds premades need a pug we look at achievement points as well, double filter keeps the noobs out

Just because I have 8500+ achievement points doesn’t mean I am good at every classes. My guardian is definitely something I am not comfortable. And there is ZERO difference between a pug and a guild member skill. The only difference is that a pug will leave your group if he doesn’t like it. A guild member is expected to stay. Please let us know your guild name so we know what to avoid.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Seeing PVT gear is a definite giveaway of a bad player.

and the second you put a noob in zerker gear, he’s the biggest liability in that team. Then your philosophical ideals about how gear indicates skill fall apart because they are based on poor assumptions.

No, if there is a guy dying a lot and doesn’t know what to do I’ll kick him just as fast. You still fail to see how I’ve talked about gear working with skill level. I will always kick bad players, and the only players that use PVT gear are bad players. There are bad players that use other gear, sure, but there is really no reason for a good player to use PVT gear at all. Do you really not understand this? It also looks like there are plenty of other people that don’t understand it either. I’d also still very much like to see a PVT Guardian kill some Risen Giants, too.

Brazil

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

You still fail to see how I’ve talked about gear working with skill level.

Yeah, I see alot of talk but nothing that indicates there is a link between a player’s skill and what gear they use. A player of any skill level can use any gear they can afford. If you measured the value of a person by their gear, the only thing you would know is that they can afford a set of exotic gear. You don’t seem to place much value on people, even if that value is misplaced on their skills.

We aren’t talking about who you would kick here. We are talking about the rather stupid idea that good players only run in zerker. A good player will run whatever gear is required for the situation and adapt to what is needed.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Amins.3710

I run PVT gear.

I must be bad.

Yep, that’s gotta be it.

Amins – Guardian

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Yeah, I see alot of talk but nothing that indicates there is a link between a player’s skill and what gear they use. A player of any skill level can use any gear they can afford. If you measured the value of a person by their gear, the only thing you would know is that they can afford a set of exotic gear. You don’t seem to place much value on people, even if that value is misplaced on their skills.

We aren’t talking about who you would kick here. We are talking about the rather stupid idea that good players only run in zerker. A good player will run whatever gear is required for the situation and adapt to what is needed.

And the best gear for every situation in PvE happens to be Berserker’s gear. I value good players, and I don’t care much for bad ones unless they show a desire to improve.

I run PVT gear.

I must be bad.

Yep, that’s gotta be it.

YOU GOT IT! I was beginning to think that no one was going to figure it out but me!

Brazil

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

swiftpaw.6397

And the best gear for every situation in PvE happens to be Berserker’s gear. I value good players, and I don’t care much for bad ones unless they show a desire to improve.

I run PVT gear.

I must be bad.

Yep, that’s gotta be it.

YOU GOT IT! I was beginning to think that no one was going to figure it out but me!

I knew the ending all along, but I didn’t want to spoil it for you

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

And the best gear for every situation in PvE happens to be Berserker’s gear.

That’s a matter of opinion. The best gear (and traits, etc…) is dictated by who you run with in your team. Maybe FOR YOU, it’s the best, because you are so selective about your team mates gear and skill level. For others who aren’t, more support or front line contribution might be necessary.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Amins.3710

I run PVT gear.

I must be bad.

Yep, that’s gotta be it.

I knew the ending all along, but I didn’t want to spoil it for you

Well, to be honest, it’s tough to argue against stupid.

Amins – Guardian

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Seetoo.9316

Seetoo.9316

I run PVT gear.

I must be bad.

Yep, that’s gotta be it.

If you are good enough to know when to dodge, are able to plan your dodges around knowing when to dodge, and are actually able to dodge, then yes, you are “bad” (selfish) for running PVT.

@ people who don’t like being called selfish
Don’t fit the description.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Hunter.4783

Hunter.4783

Oh look, a thread where brain dead zerkers feed each other’s ego while basing all of their arguments around CoF (12 min clear dungeon lol)

My GS is twilight, PTV stats. So according to you people I should transmute it to be pro? I think not
My armor is knights cuz I wanna hit ~2900 armor which I find is the sweet spot between anchor and DPS, my presence attracts mobs and lets the zerker wars do their thing. I find I clear dungeons much more smoothly with this setup compared to full zerker and some kittened DPS warrior wanna be spec. But seems according to some that makes me selfish and bad.

KK, love where we are heading right now

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

swiftpaw.6397

Oh look, a thread where brain dead zerkers feed each other’s ego while basing all of their arguments around CoF (12 min clear dungeon lol)

My GS is twilight, PTV stats. So according to you people I should transmute it to be pro? I think not
My armor is knights cuz I wanna hit ~2900 armor which I find is the sweet spot between anchor and DPS, my presence attracts mobs and lets the zerker wars do their thing. I find I clear dungeons much more smoothly with this setup compared to full zerker and some kittened DPS warrior wanna be spec. But seems according to some that makes me a nub.

I don’t even do cof. >_> If what you are saying is you are only capable of running zerkers in CoF well… power to you.

As for you, well..

Attachments:

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Hunter.4783

I run PVT gear.

I must be bad.

Yep, that’s gotta be it.

If you are good enough to know when to dodge, are able to plan your dodges around knowing when to dodge, and are actually able to dodge, then yes, you are “bad” (selfish) for running PVT.

Other than calling Amins bad (he is overrated, but not bad fyi) you call anyone who don’t run full zerker selfish. Im not sure whether to be amused or disgusted

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

And the best gear for every situation in PvE happens to be Berserker’s gear.

That’s a matter of opinion. The best gear (and traits, etc…) is dictated by who you run with in your team. Maybe FOR YOU, it’s the best, because you are so selective about your team mates gear and skill level. For others who aren’t, more support or front line contribution might be necessary.

If your team is bad, then it does make sense for them to use bad gear as a crutch. But that doesn’t change the fact that Berserker’s gear is simply the best option for PVE content in GW2.

Brazil

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Hunter.4783

My armor is knights cuz I wanna hit ~2900 armor which I find is the sweet spot between anchor and DPS, my presence attracts mobs and lets the zerker wars do their thing. I find I clear dungeons much more smoothly with this setup compared to full zerker and some kittened DPS warrior wanna be spec. But seems according to some that makes me a nub.

I don’t even do cof. >_> If what you are saying is you are only capable of running zerkers in CoF well… power to you.

As for you, well..

Now I know you don’t read posts before answering them. Pro

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

I’m amused at the irony of people demanding everyone run zerkers for their own personal benefit calling non-zerker geared people selfish.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

swiftpaw.6397

I’m amused at the irony of people demanding everyone run zerkers for THEIR benefit calling non-zerker geared people selfish.

Where’s the demanding? We are just arguing which set is better.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Amins.3710

I run PVT gear.

I must be bad.

Yep, that’s gotta be it.

Other than calling Amins bad (he is overrated, but not bad fyi) you call anyone who don’t run full zerker selfish. Im not sure whether to be amused or disgusted

o.0

Bad to overrated in just a few posts…

INCREDIBLE!

Trolls trolling their class forums.

Clearly the kids from WoW have begun migrating!

Amins – Guardian

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

swiftpaw.6397

As for you, well..

Now I know you don’t read posts before answering them. Pro

Yeh all I’m reading is rustled jimmies through this whole thread. :/

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

But that doesn’t change the fact that Berserker’s gear is simply the best option for PVE content in GW2.

Maybe, but not everyone is using the best option, so it could affect how you gear yourself depending on the content. The best choice is driven by a number of factors, including the skill and gear of OTHER people on your team, if you are doing team-based content. I’m going to gear and trait according to who I’m playing with. If I know everyone is super skilled and full zerker, I will too. If I know my team mates are new, I’m not. They are going to need all the support I can give them AND I’m going to have to carry them more. I’m going to choose the gear most likely hedge the risk. That’s not zerker gear. Like I already said, if you are limiting your team choices to highly skilled players, zerkers is a favourable choice.

Good players adapt to situation.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Hunter.4783

I run PVT gear.

I must be bad.

Yep, that’s gotta be it.

o.0

INCREDIBLE!

Hey now, I was making you compliment. The other guy did call you bad after all.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

I’m amused at the irony of people demanding everyone run zerkers for THEIR benefit calling non-zerker geared people selfish.

It’s a demand through the threat of kicking people from team. Anyways, I don’t see much debate about what the best gear is here. Most people here are talking about people kicking players for using non-zerker gear.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Hunter.4783

We aren’t. We are talking about kicking people for using not zerkers.

Funny thing is, I used to kick full CoF geared players, (namely warriors) from my fractal groups a while ago. The Irony

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Seetoo.9316

I run PVT gear.

I must be bad.

Yep, that’s gotta be it.

o.0

INCREDIBLE!

I’m not flat out calling you selfish for wearing PVT.

I’m saying that “IF (conditional statement, not absolute) you are good enough to NOT NEED the VT in PVT” then the only reasons you ARE wearing PVT are:
- you couldn’t be bothered to get a zerk set
- PVT is your preference

Suppose it is fact that he is good (beyond contestation). He is dodging every single hit that would kill him (not impossible) and dpsing as normal.
Case 1: PVT gear
2/3 stats on his gear are NOT BEING USED.
Case 2: zerk gear
All stats on his gear are being used.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

Yes, and they’ve started using Berserker’s gear and running in organized groups. The leeching PVT pugs sit around on GW2LFG and get kicked from runs.

Brazil

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

Not all players who are good are running organized groups, transitioning to that teaming model or using zerker’s gear exclusively. Not all players using PVT are being kicked from runs either. Saying something in absolute terms does not make it more true.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

I’m saying that “IF (conditional statement, not absolute) you are good enough to NOT NEED the VT in PVT” then the only reasons you ARE wearing PVT are:
- PVT is your preference

OR

… you are teaming with people you have to support better or carry more. Not everyone you pick up for team is running the zerkers (or capable of using it), therefore, you might not be able to either.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Broadicea.8294

Broadicea.8294

hey I didn’t read the thread at all, is it really 4 pages of people saying “go zerk” cause that’s the correct answer.

well toodles

*flies away on jetpack

Retired. Too many casuals.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

I think its far more selfish to complain about people not playing my way than it is for people to play how they feel comfortable, or even want to play.

but muh zerkers

Ultimately, if you want to post in gw2lfg and specify you’re: only taking Zerker, speed runs, “these classes only”, moar dots, etc. then that’s perfectly fine. You have my blessing and I pray your runs may be sub 12m40s. However, if you aren’t voicing your expectations before hand, and yet expect people to conform to your individual or group desires, then there’s a problem.

Iirc, only 40% of players have completed any dungeon run, including story mode, so there’s a lot of room for new people to be brought in to experience this content. Maybe, some groups want the added challenge or having to survive a dungeon run for 40 more seconds, or maybe they want to see what happens when they run 5 thieves in sentinel’s gear. They aren’t any less of a player for choosing to do so.

Some players don’t run Zerker just to spite the elitists, and they’re sneaking by without getting kicked.

Fishsticks

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Seetoo.9316

- PVT is your preference

OR

… you are teaming with people you have to support better or carry more. Not everyone you pick up for team is running the zerkers (or capable of using it), therefore, you might not be able to either.

How are you supporting better with PVT?
Can you body block AoE’s?
Can you body block cleaves?
Can you body block a boss from reaching your party members?
Does the amount of reduction given by protection scale with how much toughness or vitality the caster has?

If support means giving your party boons (like prot, regen, and vigor) and heals (like healing breeze), then a guy in zerk will provide just as much support as the guy in PVT.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Niim.9260

What I find most interesting about this discussion is that there seems to be a higher expectation of skill for PvE, which in this game is not really that challenging, than there is for WvW where everyone is expected to run PVT.

PVT is just as useless in WvW, a crutch for bad play, poor group synergy and just overall laziness, yet we have ‘leet’ zergs proclaiming all over these forums that it is the only gear to use.

I think we need more hard core PvEers in WvW.

~ AoN ~

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Amins.3710

^^ Yes plz.

PvE’rs fill coffers.

Amins – Guardian

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: Oxxy.7068

Oxxy.7068

What I find most interesting about this discussion is that there seems to be a higher expectation of skill for PvE, which in this game is not really that challenging, than there is for WvW where everyone is expected to run PVT.

PVT is just as useless in WvW, a crutch for bad play, poor group synergy and just overall laziness, yet we have ‘leet’ zergs proclaiming all over these forums that it is the only gear to use.

I think we need more hard core PvEers in WvW.

It is pretty obvious that anyone defending zerk gear is talking about PvE, WvW is waaay to personal for me to actually care about somebody else’s build. But then again, logic is something that is clearly missing in here.

Meanwhile, i had a PVT guard on my CoE run today, he camped staff and facetanked almost all dragon/mordremoth teeth, At least if he had zerker gear i wouldn’t have wasted my cleanses on him by reflex. Oh well.

Luminifera ~ Guardian – Trisha Blackhands ~ Thief – Hua Yue ~ Elementalist.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

The best choice is driven by a number of factors, including the skill and gear of OTHER people on your team, if you are doing team-based content. I’m going to gear and trait according to who I’m playing with. If I know everyone is super skilled and full zerker, I will too. If I know my team mates are new, I’m not. They are going to need all the support I can give them AND I’m going to have to carry them more. I’m going to choose the gear most likely hedge the risk. That’s not zerker gear. Like I already said, if you are limiting your team choices to highly skilled players, zerkers is a favourable choice.

I regularly help newer players in my guild through dungeons. If they require support I take my beserker guard. It helps more being able to block key attacks with aegis and contribute to dps than it does to just sit there healing them while they slowly kill things. Im less helpful running my old knights gear when running with new people.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: vlad.3467

vlad.3467

guys,

im running soldier/cleric Guardian, condi/prec. chance Engi and soldier/knight Necro MM – I really like them all. I play them WvW/PVE/Dungeons/ and Frcactals. I have never been playing the burts type character, because I find it very common and standard in every other MMO RPG game. I just dont get the “Zerk” thing and probably never will.
I think there is one thing for sure – Zerking must be changed in order to encourage other players play with different gear, not just DPS.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Please dont ask me what I want to do, Im well aware that one is for tanking ad the other for DPSing, but what Im asking instead is; for 80-90% of the situations, this includes PvE open world, Dungeons, Fractals, WvW, Pugs and premades, whats best?

Don’t try to make one build/playstyle fit everything. Gather multiple sets of gear and swap based on what you are doing.

Guardian; PVT or Zerker?

in Guardian

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

guys,

im running soldier/cleric Guardian, condi/prec. chance Engi and soldier/knight Necro MM – I really like them all. I play them WvW/PVE/Dungeons/ and Frcactals. I have never been playing the burts type character, because I find it very common and standard in every other MMO RPG game. I just dont get the “Zerk” thing and probably never will.
I think there is one thing for sure – Zerking must be changed in order to encourage other players play with different gear, not just DPS.

There is no practical reason not to play a DPS guard in PvE. The different gear combinations are for PvP and WvW, so using anything less than berserker in PvE basically means you’re choosing to drag your team down.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj