Guardian insane movement speed ... HOW ?!?!?

in Guardian

Posted by: Etwa.2896

Etwa.2896

I find that Guardians often catch me in wvw (or run away) … and I have no idea how they do it. Today I created a new guardian I went into the mist to spectate traits and gap closers and I have absolutely no idea how …

I play a warrior and yesterday the following happened :

I was scouting in wvw when I found 2 guardians. When we saw each other we had about 1000 range betwean us. I immediately turned 180 and run away. I had banner equipped and more than 1min swiftness stacked and not in combat.
I did banner charge followed by bulls charge (just to make sure they can’t tag me into combat)
I dropped a banner and did a sword leap + shield charge
Before I could do another sword leap they already taged me into combat and soon they cought me up and close combat began.
I was lucky I blocked root and a leap + just refreshed bulls charge made it possible for me to escape into our controlled tower with 1k hp.

I thought that my warrior has awesome movement with swiftness on all the time + all the leaps and charges …
Can someone explain what do guardians use for close gap ?

in Guardian

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

Judge’ Intervention + Leap of Faith or even better (but shorter range) + Ring of Warding to trap you instantly.

I think about doing something like this (starting in hammer):

- #3 for the immobilize.
- run or #2 to close the gap.
- #4 for knockback.
- #5 and Judge’s Intervention to catch them after the fall.
(- #2 for some damage + combo)
- switch to gs.
- #4 + #2 for damage.

/edit: read that they tagged you before actually reaching you…maybe Smite? 1200 range + no projectile that needs time to fly.

(edited by Iavra.8510)

in Guardian

Posted by: StugLyfe.2134

StugLyfe.2134

Guards have a “blink” mate, it’s just 99% of these guards here don’t use it.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nurvus.2891

Nurvus.2891

I think Smite & Judge’s Intervention is your answer.
JI has 45 second (36 when traited in Valor) recharge time, however.
So it’s nothing otherworldly.

in Guardian

Posted by: Natas.1306

Natas.1306

At 1000 range any guardian can teleport on top of your head lol

in Guardian

Posted by: midnightjazzy.7415

midnightjazzy.7415

lmao, you should be talking about thiefs. Guards do not use those skills oftenly.

in Guardian

Posted by: Tarsius.3170

Tarsius.3170

yup – leap of faith + judges intervention is up to 1800 range gap closer ( if timed right ) ending with blind, burn ( + retaliation and might if you chain the right skills ). If they have a sword too they can also throw in another 600 teleport & blind ( which works through obstacles )

btw in pve you can move across the map very quickly by ruthlessly killing rabbits

Warhaft Tarsius – Asura Guardian ( Desolation ) – [NUKE]
Guardian FAQ · BUGS · HEALING

(edited by Tarsius.3170)

in Guardian

Posted by: Kita.7819

Kita.7819

Also, between Symbol of Swiftness, Retreat! and Save Yourselves!, a Guardian can amass 38 seconds of swiftness.

Kita – Guardian
Server: Darkhaven. The Besthaven.

in Guardian

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

A good GREATsword Guardian will Leap Cancel to cover massive amounts of ground. Of course, good Guardians have less representation than Charr Mesmers. Though is all you need to do to counter the little rabbit is to tag him into combat, rather than attempting to out run him.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nurvus.2891

Nurvus.2891

Also, between Symbol of Swiftness, Retreat! and Save Yourselves!, a Guardian can amass 38 seconds of swiftness.

With Virtues Tree increasing Boon duration by up to 30%, and Honor Tree 20% Shout recharge rate, causes the 2 shouts to have 48 sec recharge instead of 60, and have 26+13 duration = 39.
Add Symbol of Swiftness and it’s alot of nuts!
Add Leap of Faith + Judge’s Intervention in between and it’s crazy.

But if they build like that, the question is, why don’t you just kill them?

in Guardian

Posted by: Asmodal.6489

Asmodal.6489

A good GREATsword Guardian will Leap Cancel to cover massive amounts of ground.

this should not be working. last time i checked they changed it. Weapon swap will trigger the full cooldown.

other then that 1000 range against a guardian is as good as 200. JI is too much fun to not have it on the skill bar in pvp.

it is probably the next thing to get nerfed

in Guardian

Posted by: Tarsius.3170

Tarsius.3170

yeah that was fixed I believe… and I’d rather not comment on “good greatsword guardians” which exploit a bug to move about the battlefield more quickly – although using it to get quickly between the crafting station and the trader is probably “ok”

Doing gap closers like the Leap + JI “Meteor Leap” combo is fine imho though, as it blows 2 skills into cooldown in the process.

I encountered another interesting effect of JI in the Mad King instance today – after being feared off a ledge to certain death, I hit JI just before impact on the ground and luckily teleported to a nearby candy mob completely unscathed. ( wasn’t able to repeat that on a second attempt, so I suspect timing is critical )

Warhaft Tarsius – Asura Guardian ( Desolation ) – [NUKE]
Guardian FAQ · BUGS · HEALING

(edited by Tarsius.3170)

in Guardian

Posted by: Kita.7819

Kita.7819

A good GREATsword Guardian will Leap Cancel to cover massive amounts of ground.

this should not be working. last time i checked they changed it. Weapon swap will trigger the full cooldown.

other then that 1000 range against a guardian is as good as 200. JI is too much fun to not have it on the skill bar in pvp.

it is probably the next thing to get nerfed

Shh! I rather enjoy warping onto the ledges in the Graveyard, the broken ceiling in the Clocktower and the Trebuchet on the hill!

Kita – Guardian
Server: Darkhaven. The Besthaven.

in Guardian

Posted by: Judge Banks.9018

Judge Banks.9018

Yep, it’s been fixed, shows how much I use Great Sword.