I miss tomes!

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: Stand The Wall.6987

Stand The Wall.6987

anyone have any footage? those things were dope lol. especially the damage one. why? cuz. that’s why.

Team Deathmatch for PvP – Raise the AoE cap for WvW – More unique events for PvE

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: Fashion Mage.3712

Fashion Mage.3712

You’re not the only one.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

+1

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: Lahmia.2193

Lahmia.2193

10/10 looks.
0/10 practicality.
Glad they removed. I hope Anet “tomes” all transform skills.

Surrender and serve me in life, or die and slave for me in death.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

10/10 looks.
0/10 practicality.

well i knew how to use them on WvW…. and people usually thanked me back.
still they were very situational elites, but these one actually … are useless to me.
So guardian atm only has 1 elite skill…

1 elite to refresh virtues every 90sec….. that is the only elite skill Guadian/DH has.

(edited by Aeolus.3615)

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Lahmia.2193

10/10 looks.
0/10 practicality.

still they were very situational elites, but these one actually … are useless to me.

1 elite to refresh virtues every 90sec….. that is the only elite skill Guadian/DH has.

Well yeah, no guardian should be using anything but Renewed Focus in WvW. That goes without say. But outside wvw (and pvp I guess), “Feel my wrath” is king.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Fashion Mage.3712

10/10 looks.
0/10 practicality.

tfw people willingly discarding something fun for something overpowered is a common view.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: Ragnarox.9601

Ragnarox.9601

I dont miss it, RF is too good.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

10/10 looks.
0/10 practicality.

Well yeah, no guardian should be using anything but Renewed Focus in WvW. That goes without say. But outside wvw (and pvp I guess), “Feel my wrath” is king.

Yeah, Quickness isn’t all that useful for pvp. Downcleave is pretty much the only application where it’s useful but the other elites just do so much more.

I don’t have all that many memories of tomes but they were fun and flavorful.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Aeolus.3615

10/10 looks.
0/10 practicality.

Yeah, Quickness isn’t all that useful for pvp. Downcleave is pretty much the only application where it’s useful but the other elites just do so much more.

well thats the problem when balance and class design is ment to work arround pve keyboard smashing.

:(

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Lahmia.2193

If forms had been designed more akin to say kits or something like death shroud, I would have enjoyed them far more (perma ursan form?! yes please). Alas this did not come to pass, so I’d rather something far more easier to balance and simple in design, for Anet’s sake.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

10/10 looks.
0/10 practicality.

well thats the problem when balance and class design is ment to work arround pve keyboard smashing.

:(

As opposed to auto attacking?

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

I miss tomes too. When used right they would make or break your group in any game mode (PvP/WvW/PvE/Dungeons). It was fun and visually stimulating.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: Zergs.9715

Zergs.9715

I really want Lorekeeper elite spec that uses Tomes in place of Virtues like a mix of attunements and kits. I described it in detail in this thread

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/guardian/Lorekeeper-tome-spec/first#post5120230

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Fashion Mage.3712

I miss tomes too. When used right they would make or break your group in any game mode (PvP/WvW/PvE/Dungeons). It was fun and visually stimulating.

They were actually really good when used properly, but pressing more than one button (Renewed Focus) is apparently too “clunky” for some people. XD

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Lahmia.2193

They were actually really good when used properly, but pressing more than one button (Renewed Focus) is apparently too “clunky” for some people. XD

I know right? Anyone that doesn’t play condi engi is a noob. They’re just too dumb to play something with more than one button XD

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

10/10 looks.
0/10 practicality.

Yes, I hope they remove Celestial Avatar, that thing sucks. I mean, it’s a transform and we all know that transform skills are impossible to make good.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Lahmia.2193

10/10 looks.
0/10 practicality.

Yes, I hope they remove Celestial Avatar, that thing sucks. I mean, it’s a transform and we all know that transform skills are impossible to make good.

If you bothered to read wiki, you’d realise it doesn’t count as a transform. Nice try though.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: RabbitUp.8294

RabbitUp.8294

10/10 looks.
0/10 practicality.

If you bothered to read wiki, you’d realise it doesn’t count as a transform. Nice try though.

That’s your argument? That it doesn’t have the transform skill tag?

It’s a profession mechanic, of course it has no other tags, that’s how the game works. But it’s differctly comparable. Heck, Necro shroud work the same as the other transforms, disabling all your other skills, and it still doesn’t have the Transform tag.

And they are proof that they can make a transform good. Celestial Avatar could be a utility or elite skill with similar cooldown, and it would still be excellent and used by all healer druids.

But when you take Tomes and slap a 180sec cooldown on them, of course they suck.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Lahmia.2193

snip

Ok to clarify. They should “tome” all the elite forms.
As for Cele form, it allows you to use your utilities. And was created within the past 2 years rather than at the start of the game. Anet obviously learnt from the disaster that was the original forms.
As for Shroud, well that’s a hotly debated topic though it is unique in that it grants you an extra life bar of sorts.
You can’t deny forms need a lot of work. My suggestion is just the easier route for Anet,
if they decide to do something about forms (they don’t have infinite resources).

(edited by Lahmia.2193)

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Fashion Mage.3712

But when you take Tomes and slap a 180sec cooldown on them, of course they suck.

Or they could actually balance all forms properly by giving them appropriate cooldowns. So something like going into the coding and changing “180” to like “120” or something, instead of pressing delete on them.

(edited by Fashion Mage.3712)

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

Or they could actually balance all forms properly by giving them appropriate cooldowns. So something like going into the coding and changing “180” to like “120” or something, instead of pressing delete on them.

Except all forms have always had the same problems, no matter the cooldown they will either me OP or UP since you only pay the opportunity cost at the end. The reason people use any form currently is for 1-2 skills and that is it. For lich form it was the jaggies, for shroud it is the 5 → 4 wombo combo, for CA you still have all your utilities as well as being probably the only form that is not pure trash beyond 1 skill. Forms need a lot of work.

If the rumors of tomes coming back is true, I really do hope they don’t replace the utility skills and function way closer to kits than anything (kits are “forms” but since they don’t replace utilities I don’t count them as forms).

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Fashion Mage.3712

How can you expect me to take you seriously when you think DS is only used for 4 and 5.

Almost every single skill on tomes were used, so that’s not really helping your comparison with them to other forms. Not that I agree that other forms are/were only used for one skill either. For one thing, nobody who actually knew how to use Tome of Courage used it for the full heal, but that’s what most people think for some reason.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Lahmia.2193

How can you expect me to take you seriously when you think DS is only used for 4 and 5.

Almost every single skill on tomes were used, so that’s not really helping your comparison with them to other forms. Not that I agree that other forms are/were only used for one skill either. For one thing, nobody who actually knew how to use Tome of Courage used it for the full heal, but that’s what most people think for some reason.

Tome of Courage had niche use in WvW as a limited use healer. However most people preferred to use Renewed Focus because it was far more useful across the board.

Tome of Wrath was just plain awful. Damage was awful and the support it gave was only slightly better. I can’t see anyone defending this aside from its looks, which is no justification to keep a skill.

As for the other transforms, they’ve mostly gone the way of the dodo. I can’t remember seeing any serious use of Rampage, Elixir X, Tornado/Whirlpool, since post HoT. Lich Form again was use purely for Jagged Horrors. Plague for safe stomp in pvp, though “Chilled to the Bone” gets far more use.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: Bigpapasmurf.5623

Bigpapasmurf.5623

I know right? Anyone that doesn’t play condi engi is a noob. They’re just too dumb to play something with more than one button XD

Condi engis use more than 1 button…not much more but more than 1 nonetheless lol.

- Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/MC_Celestia
- I am currently a main thief roamer for SF in WvW. LOVE ME!
- {SOAP} Solo/Havoc roamer, lover of good fights

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Lahmia.2193

Condi engis use more than 1 button…not much more but more than 1 nonetheless lol.

Reread what I said and you’ll realise it’s the opposite of what you thought I said.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

I don’t miss tomes in the sense that I actively used them when they were there, but the missed potential definitely left a sour taste. Hopefully they come back in a more meaningful way. Visually the skills were rly interesting.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: Azoqu.8917

Azoqu.8917

Visually the skills were rly interesting.

I’d say they were probably the coolest skills in the entire game. Pacify looked amazing and Judgement was extremely powerful and looked powerful too. The only problem with those skills were being locked behind an atrocious cooldown. I still remember carrying groups in Fractal 50 against Shaman with Tome of Courage and using pacify followed by #5 (forgetting name…), looked amazing, felt powerful, sad that the only reason it was viable to use was that people sucked and I had basically 3 minutes between phases so it was refreshed.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: cranos.5913

cranos.5913

Visually the skills were rly interesting.

I’d say they were probably the coolest skills in the entire game. Pacify looked amazing and Judgement was extremely powerful and looked powerful too. The only problem with those skills were being locked behind an atrocious cooldown. I still remember carrying groups in Fractal 50 against Shaman with Tome of Courage and using pacify followed by #5 (forgetting name…), looked amazing, felt powerful, sad that the only reason it was viable to use was that people sucked and I had basically 3 minutes between phases so it was refreshed.

It was both the CDs and the ridiculously long cast times. But yeah, definitely looked cool. Gonna be a real waste if the next e-spec doesn’t reintroduce them tbh.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikhail.4961

Mikhail.4961

I kind of hoped that when elites were announced, the Guardian elite would’ve been based on tomes: a sort of… spellcaster Guardian more like: closer to Suriel in the Gauntlet, perhaps. Similarly, I had hoped that necromancers got closer to Liadri, who was just so kitten.

But yes, the tomes were fun but not as useful as they could’ve been.

Any class is easy to play, but not as easy to master. So sod off, warrior-haters.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Fashion Mage.3712

I think “spellcaster guardian” is part of the theme and gameplay of tomes that people really enjoyed. I hope the next elite spec follows along that, and I feel like that’s what a lot of people meant when they wanted a ranged guardian, not a ranger-wannabe. The biggest legitimate complaint about tomes was that they could only be used for 30 seconds every 3 minutes.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Posted by: Sherman.4631

Sherman.4631

While on topic, Signet of courage is awful, even if the active is really powerful, the passive AoE is terrible and so is the 3.75sec cast time.

It’s not like Guardian is lacking a powerful elite skill since the 3 other ones are very viable, but changing signet of courage into a buff that reduce condition duration by like 15% for 5 targets(at 600 radius) and the active be 5sec resistance to 5 targets with a 2-3sec cast being able to cast on the move, would make it an option to consider in WvW or PvP, with same 180sec cd.

We’re out of chicken

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Lahmia.2193

While on topic, Signet of courage is awful, even if the active is really powerful, the passive AoE is terrible and so is the 3.75sec cast time.

It’s not like Guardian is lacking a powerful elite skill since the 3 other ones are very viable, but changing signet of courage into a buff that reduce condition duration by like 15% for 5 targets(at 600 radius) and the active be 5sec resistance to 5 targets with a 2-3sec cast being able to cast on the move, would make it an option to consider in WvW or PvP, with same 180sec cd.

I mean they could easily fix the passive so it procs every 3 seconds instead of 10.

I miss tomes!

in Guardian

Fashion Mage.3712

Considerably more boring than the full heal. Also it doesn’t have a 180 second cooldown anymore, and it has a 3.25 second cast time.

I’d just make the passive auto-target allies at low health. It’s not like anyone in their right mind would take it over Renewed Focus for purposes of self-survivability anyway, they should stretch the supportive aspect of it.