Say good bye to the DPS Meta

in Guardian

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Looks like the DPS meta builds are about to get a lot less meta:

https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/balance/PvE-Revising-the-DPS-Meta/first#post3480529

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Guardian

Posted by: Cat Has Ducks.1982

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Unless they completely redesign enemy AI and attack patterns, I doubt we’ll be saying goodbye to anything. And seeing how much work they have done to dungeons, I’m not expecting much to change.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian
Chuck The Stampede – Engineer
[Lg] Agatha – Dragonbrand

in Guardian

Posted by: foofad.5162

foofad.5162

I’m actually more worried about them trying to fix the DPS meta and inadvertently screwing over everyone else than I am worried about the DPS meta.

Eilir Eirasdottir, Guardian, Tarnished Coast
Painbow.6059: Ignore what anyone else who doesn’t agree with me has said because its wrong.

in Guardian

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Yep, but I get the impression from reading several posts by devs that they don’t like the DPS meta since that’s build restrictive.

in Guardian

Posted by: Hunter.4783

Hunter.4783

Oh noes, my ascended zerk gear! TRANSMUTE!

So now we will have to THINK about build diversity rather than mindlessly zerg down telegraphic bosses like lupi? crazy talk!

in Guardian

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Yep, but I get the impression from reading several posts by devs that they don’t like the DPS meta since that’s build restrictive.

Yet majority of pugs don’t run the meta builds with zerker gear… If they screw up the “DPS meta”, there will be a new gold standard that min-maxers will move to, and for people to complain about.

The flow of tears will never stop. Just a new reason for why they flow.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

Arenanet has said a lot of things in the past.
Nothing will change. They’ll probably do something stupid like increase mob hp because zerkers burn through it too fast. That or remove everyone’s easy access vigor and call it a day.

Whatever happens, the new meta will be whatever gives the highest dps.

in Guardian

Hunter.4783

Nothing will change. They’ll probably do something stupid like increase mob hp because zerkers burn through it too fast. That or remove everyone’s easy access vigor and call it a day.

Negative, not if you make encounters around heavy AoE and condi pressure where survival rather than DPS wins the encounter.

in Guardian

Cat Has Ducks.1982

Negative, not if you make encounters around heavy AoE and condi pressure where survival rather than DPS wins the encounter.

So they’d have to redesign all dungeons? When the only thing they have done with dungeons in the past year was add that Aetherblade POS path?

They aren’t fixing anything. Probably just give some benefit to having more toughness or something stupid like that.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: Crapgame.6519

Crapgame.6519

So what exactly is the problem? I recall reading a few threads over the weekend that Devs mentioned they are looking into something and will announce later this week regarding Zerker stats. However, I can’t see much from it when everyone rushed to build ascended sets and that isn’t cheap by any means.

Speed kills, so what. Is there a honest problem with a group of 5 killing a boss before x amount of time? Do the developers get paid based on boss or mob longevity? Maybe they should take a step back, look at the product they offered at launch then every month thereafter and look at the power players evolution.

Players get smarter. Bosses don’t. Smart players look for every edge to finish faster. Time is money in real life and virtual reality. Arena Net needs to relax a little bit and find bigger fish to fry. This isn’t one of them. Maybe looking at their traits in general and how they don’t work should be looked at first.

Main – Laaz Rocket – Guardian (Ehmry Bay)
Johnny Johnny – Ranger (Ehmry Bay)
Hárvey Wallbanger – Alt Warrior (Ehmry Bay)

in Guardian

Lonewolf Kai.3682

That or remove everyone’s easy access vigor

One thing’s for a very strong possibility is this because that’s another thing they’ve been vocal about not liking before.

in Guardian

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

Honestly, I expect the critical damage on berserker/assassin to be split into half crit damage half vitality, pretty much like in sPvP.
Nothing really gamechanging like better AIs or harder encounter design.

in Guardian

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

I won’t pretend to know how or if it will change but if it does, I look forward to experimenting with different builds again. I’m having difficulty with posters that are complaining about it. I don’t think an objective opinion on such a change would cause anyone to complain.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

Posted by: Painbow.6059

Painbow.6059

Probably just make toughness/vitality scale better and condition damage/healing power better

in Guardian

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Probably just make toughness/vitality scale better and condition damage/healing power better

That wouldn’t change a thing and would actually make WvW even more unbalanced.

in Guardian

Crapgame.6519

Heck, let us do this! WvW is already a train wreck we might as well throw up more silverware and random code at the problem hoping it will balance everything out…

in Guardian

Posted by: Rouven.7409

Rouven.7409

I’m glad I did not craft my ascended armour yet …

“Whose Kitten is this?” – “It’s a Charr baby.”
“Whose Charr is this?”- “Ted’s.”
“Who’s Ted?”- “Ted’s dead, baby. Ted’s dead.”

in Guardian

Posted by: JoxerNL.3752

JoxerNL.3752

Goodbye DPS Meta

in Guardian

Posted by: Ezekiel.1985

Ezekiel.1985

Or just do something more simple like making other stats scale to the point where they seem to make a more noticeable difference.

This’d probably have to be PVE specific though, because they’re fine in PVP.

in Guardian

Posted by: Wharrgarbl.9263

Wharrgarbl.9263

OMG what will we doooo!!! Oh, right, change the meta, build for new meta, and let the QQ start over.

But i don’t think thats gonna happen, they will just cap the crit damage like in PVP and nothing will ever change. Maybe if bads could l2p instead of crying on forums…

in Guardian

fadeaway.2807

So.. 4 zerkers and a perma prot guardian then?
The new meta will be whatever gives the highest dps while keeping you alive – just like now. You sacrifice as much defense as you are comfortable with for offense. If you need more mitigation, people will turn to protection before they turn to mitigation stats.

in Guardian

Lonewolf Kai.3682

I really don’t think it’s just going to be something so simple as increasing other stats. Sure, it might be included, but I don’t think that’s going to be the main “fix.”

One of the things we’re going to see is a major change to Vigor, endurance regen, and all the gear/upgrades that help restore it, much akin to the way Quickness was “fixed” and then there will be an outcry.

And then there’s mob AI. Sure there’s been a lot of joking about not being able to fix it, but look at the recent updates. They haven’t exactly been the traditional mobs in them.

in Guardian

Posted by: Finnway.2183

Finnway.2183

Citizens,

This Friday at 2PM PST (22:00 GMT) we’ll be hosting another episode of Ready Up. I’ll be joined by Game Designers Jon Peters, Jon Sharp, Karl McLain, and Roy Cronacher.

In this episode we’ll be talking about a few of the things the Skills and Balance team is working on for the next balance update, including:

• Runes and sigil rework
  • Critical damage changes
  • New stat combinations for PvP (amulets)
  • High-level overview of planned balance changes

You can catch the livestream at www.twitch.tv/guildwars2

We will have to wait until Friday to see if there are any more changes. Right now it looks like their only fix is adjusting critical-hit damage (probably making it lower). It’s possible they just wanted to reduce the discrepancy between Berserker builds and other builds.

Something important to understand about the meta is that it didn’t end up this way because some people decided what was best and everyone else hopped on the bandwagon. It’s the “meta” because people are looking for what is best for overcoming the game’s mechanics. Berserker builds are the best because the DPS increase far exceeds the loss in eHP and they still bring all the support.
Players finding out what works best is healthy for the game because it lets the devs look at it and say “Hey. That’s what players have found is most effective. Is that the way we wanted the game to be played? If it’s not, how can we fix it?”

Players like Brazil have done a fantastic job over the past year finding out what is effective and what is not. We’re now at a state where all classes except Necromancer have at least one build that is considered “meta” and does high DPS while contributing great support to the team. The devs can now look at that and say “How can we make it so even more classes have effective builds?”

This game is not about out-DPSing you. It’s about out-flashing you.

(edited by Finnway.2183)

in Guardian

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

OMG what will we doooo!!! Oh, right, change the meta, build for new meta, and let the QQ start over.

But i don’t think thats gonna happen, they will just cap the crit damage like in PVP and nothing will ever change. Maybe if bads could l2p instead of crying on forums…

I’m sorry, but no. Right now, you don’t get to toss around the words “bad” and “l2p” in regards to PvE. It’s too mindless. You can practically afk through most encounters.

When and if stacking is removed and players are forced to actually play the game as it was intended – THEN you can throw some measure of “skill” and elitism into PvE.

in Guardian

Cat Has Ducks.1982

I’m sorry, but no. Right now, you don’t get to toss around the words “bad” and “l2p” in regards to PvE. It’s too mindless. You can practically afk through most encounters.

When and if stacking is removed and players are forced to actually play the game as it was intended – THEN you can throw some measure of “skill” and elitism into PvE.

You gotta stop doing AC runs all day. Venture into arah and higher level fractals.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian

in Guardian

fadeaway.2807

That’ll really mess with the pvp condi meta and wvw bunker meta.

in Guardian

Posted by: Relshdan.6854

Relshdan.6854

if crit ended up effecting condi damage, there will be no reason to even attempt a non-condi damage build in wvw………….and the 25 stack limit and “weak attack overwriting strong” makes it still bad in pve groups.

having heals crit would be kinda awesome tho.

Chaos Organ (Ele), Pistol Opera (Thief), Modular Man (Eng)
MARA (EU) Gunnar’s Hold

in Guardian

Cat Has Ducks.1982

if crit ended up effecting condi damage, there will be no reason to even attempt a non-condi damage build in wvw………….and the 25 stack limit and “weak attack overwriting strong” makes it still bad in pve groups.

They really need to separate WvW and PvE changes. Let players carry their gear to the mode, not the same exact balance.

Lord Chuck I – Guardian

in Guardian

Crapgame.6519

They really need to separate WvW and PvE changes. Let players carry their gear to the mode, not the same exact balance.

Treat WvW like sPvP and use the locker. This also removes the ascended argument.

Someone earlier posted that has the game evolved so did the players knowledge which sort of muddies the waters. Maybe not said just like that but you get the idea. Players skill increase over time has does the knowledge of the game. Personally I feel players shouldn’t be penalized for this but it isn’t my call.

The onus is on the developer and designers to be aware ahead of time and not make a knee jerk reaction just because a small percentage of the player base is doing something different and faster than what you anticipated. Is this the case of one dungeon, two dungeons, or all. Is this a issue of the WvW meta. Is this something even bigger. If it is bigger than I’d say take a step back and evaluate it before you do anything.

in Guardian

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

Not if they made toughness reduce condition damage as well.

in Guardian

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Not if they made toughness reduce condition damage as well.

No this doesn’t need to happen. Conditions damage is fine, toughness is fine as it is. What happens is outside of the spvp spectrum Anet allowed consumables, stackable wvw buffs and runes and sigils that aren’t present in spvp.

In short, spvp is for the most part decently balanced. When you move outside of that realm then things become rather messy. Its questionable why Anet chooses to balance for pvx instead of individual aspects of the game, since they added and allowed things which aren’t allowed in spvp.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

Not yet … typing this as they are presenting so … not all details in here.

Livestream Summary

1. Zerks is still THE DPS gear set, but overall, it’s taking a 10% damage reduction
2. New trait replacing crit damage: Ferocity. Still increases crit damage but is a stat that uses a conversion rate, like all other stats. Will allow for better way to balance crit rate optimized/unoptimized gear slots.
3. 2H weapons will have 2 sigils to make them more fair with 1H setups
4. Each Sigil will have it’s own cooldown e.g. battle and energy can be used together but not energy/energy.
5. Increasing stat weights in the higher teirs (4,5,6 level bonus) and adding more durations to specific sets. A little subtle but I understand the goal is to promote the use of whole sets instead of mixing/matching to maximize boon duration, for example.
6. Fixing Rune bugs, like procs that don’t work or just junky things.
7. Open to suggestions to new PVP stat combos, runes and sigils … nothing was proposed as new stat combos in the livestream.
8. Next patch will have balance changes as well as feature changes.

Guardian balance changes: (if they fooled around less, I would have this information by now …)

1. Litany of Wrath: reduced cast time to 3/4s, option to 1/2 later because it’s reactionary
2. Vig Precision: 5 to 10 second cooldown
3. Healing Breeze rework: Didn’t catch the numbers but it’s a bigger upfront heal with ticks with good scaling to healing power and increased to allies too.

PVP is not affected by the crit changes … they say they like how crits work in PVP, so the PVP stats will not change.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

Posted by: Aza.2105

Aza.2105

Vigorous Precision now has a 10 sec cd.

Litany of Wrath cast time is now 3/4 sec, may go down to 1/2 sec if needed.

Healing Breeze gives a initial 3200-4.5k heal and then the rest of the heal comes from ticks.

Amd Ryzen 1800x – Amd Fury X -64GB of ram
Windows 10

in Guardian

Posted by: Tenor Madness.6784

Tenor Madness.6784

So guardian is ignored as usual.

in Guardian

Posted by: Noah.4756

Noah.4756

Vigorous Precision nerf was to be expected. Is it still worth it with a 10 second cooldown? Might be a meta shift coming up.

The buff to Litany of Wrath is a nice improvement. Although ideally I would like to see it instant cast like all the other meditations. But perhaps that would make it too strong.

About time Healing Breeze gets buffed. Might be okay when stacking in dungeons.

in Guardian

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Meta was already shifting to 20/25/0/0/25 for non-hammer guardians, this pretty much makes it official.

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghanto.9784

Ghanto.9784

I would be fine with the game shifting away some from dps, if the game’s reward system rewarded anything but dps.

in Guardian

Posted by: Painbow.6059

Painbow.6059

I don’t understand why people don’t like dps dominance? More dps = stuff dies quicker = gold quicker am I not right? people want to play healers not needed in gw2 people want to play tank not needed in gw2, defensive gear not needed in gw2, making these specific roles would damage the game as it would mean you need a tank and a healer and dps roles with no mid points, if a group just specs for max dps and brings 1 guard along with them using a 20,25,0,0,25 build that is enough support for anything outside fractals along with good damage

in Guardian

Posted by: Duke Blackrose.4981

Duke Blackrose.4981

I don’t understand why people don’t like dps dominance? More dps = stuff dies quicker = gold quicker am I not right? people want to play healers not needed in gw2 people want to play tank not needed in gw2, defensive gear not needed in gw2, making these specific roles would damage the game as it would mean you need a tank and a healer and dps roles with no mid points, if a group just specs for max dps and brings 1 guard along with them using a 20,25,0,0,25 build that is enough support for anything outside fractals along with good damage

People don’t like dps dominance because it:

Invalidates the majority of gear sets (in PvE).
Reduces team composition variety.
Removes entire professions from the equation in many groups.
Removes the option to play roles other than dps – kills the “play your way” philosophy of the game.

Basically, I bolded every part of your statement that IS in fact, a problem with the current game design. Guild Wars 2 was not intended to not have any roles – it was designed to allow everyone to play every role effectively regardless of their class and for groups to not require any particular combination of roles to function. There’s a pretty distinct difference. The way things are intended to be would allow anyone to (theoretically) make more-or-less comparable contributions while playing the way they wish do. The way that the game currently is – the way which you blindly seem to support – makes every playstyle that isn’t dps entirely redundant (in PvE).

in Guardian

Hunter.4783

Time to reconsider Knights vs Zerker gear in PVE

in Guardian

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

So guardian is ignored as usual.

Nope. If you had a Guardian roamer you will be in much worse situation, due Guardians don’t have condition builds.

The changes only nerfs builds based in physical damege; doesn’t matter if we talk about burst builds like Guardians based on meditations or tank builds based on more HP and Armor. Both will suffer due both rely on physical damage and both use evades and had evade healing (most of times).

Instead, builds based in conditions like the dire/carrion Warrior will be as fine as before, if not better.

in Guardian

Obtena.7952

I don’t understand why people don’t like dps dominance?

I like DPS dominance but I don’t like it more than having DPS build choice. Maybe I just talked myself into it but if Anet is giving us 10+ combo sets, it seems the the intent is not fully realized if only one of those provides me an optimized PVE build. There are so many knock on effects (unbalanced demand for mats for example) because of this. I really can’t imagine it was intended to work the way it does at the moment.

(edited by Obtena.7952)

in Guardian

Posted by: J Eberle.9312

J Eberle.9312

The only changes I’m likely making are no more RHS so -5 radiance and then +5 Zeal and Bloodlust stacks instead of precision stacks. 20/25/0/0/25

#longlivethemeta ^_^.

Thankfully I didn’t make assassin’s pieces. <3 Zerker!

in Guardian

Cat Has Ducks.1982

The only changes I’m likely making are no more RHS so -5 radiance and then +5 Zeal and Bloodlust stacks instead of precision stacks. 20/25/0/0/25

#longlivethemeta.

Thankfully I didn’t make assassin’s pieces. <3 Zerker!

Yup. instead of having a few builds to consider. Its an obvious choice to run 20/25/0/0/25 now. Good job Anet. Way to give us even less diversity :O

Lord Chuck I – Guardian

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Time to reconsider Knights vs Zerker gear in PVE

Why should anyone do that? Defensive stats are still useless.

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

in Guardian

fadeaway.2807

Did they mention any changes to empowering might? I saw someone post about it but couldn’t find any more info.

in Guardian

Posted by: CptAurellian.9537

CptAurellian.9537

Haven’t seen anything and I can’t really believe they said something. There weren’t so many guardian changes under which it could have got lost. Of course, increasing its range to something like 600 would be a great step (and the one that’s necessary to make it useful).

Warning! This post may contain traces of irony, sarcasm and peanuts.

There is no loyalty without betrayal. -Ann Smiley

in Guardian

Posted by: Molch.2078

Molch.2078

With 25 points in virtues, the vigor still lasts 7.5/10 seconds. Why is 100% vigor uptime a must have and really good, but 75% uptime not?
This doesn’t make sense.

in Guardian

Posted by: Sirendor.1394

Sirendor.1394

This won’t hurt the PvE DPS meta a single bit. Worst possible fix. Instead of revamping the PvE encounters they think they can fix it by making crit damage less effective? lol?

Gandara – Vabbi – Ring of Fire – Fissure of Woe – Vabbi
SPvP as Standalone All is Vain

in Guardian

Posted by: Vargamonth.2047

Vargamonth.2047

With 25 points in virtues, the vigor still lasts 7.5/10 seconds. Why is 100% vigor uptime a must have and really good, but 75% uptime not?
This doesn’t make sense.

It’s more like 6.25 :P