Tome Change ideas

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Assic.2746

Assic.2746

It’s definitely a cool change since the tomes are mostly useless in pve and also in pvp.

But we already have a passive healing effect from virtue of resolve. What if Signet of Courage would grant us protection for 2-3s every 10s or even better something new like 2s of resitstance every 10s.

I have some other idea about the Passive: Everytime you remove conditions you get 2-3s of resistance (effect does not stack). This passive also works well with new/reworked traits for guardian especially the one, that smites condition when using healing skill. Why? Because when we have poison on ourselves and we remove it by using healing skill it can be applied again.

healing skill > smite condtition > 2s of resistance > 100% of healing skill potential

(edited by Assic.2746)

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Nuve.6893

Nuve.6893

Any idea for Cooldowns if these would be put in place? The Tomes are pretty cool, but Courage, currently, is almost useless.

I don’t have the heal/boon duration numbers in my head but the current test cooldowns are 180 on signet of course and 30 on “feel my wrath.”

Jon

Those cooldowns are just too long when they’re competing with a 90 second CD (72 second if using Meditation Build) that gives a 3 second invulnerability.

They need to be in the 100 second range with strong gameplay. or you’re just picking up a signet for passive gameplay that is going to be too strong like Warrior Heal signet was, or remain useless and unused like 3/4 of the other Guardian signets. Signet of Mercy in particular.

[oPP] Got Boons ::Blackgate:: Guardian
http://www.twitch.tv/gotboons
http://www.youtube.com/gotboons

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

It does sound cool to me mainly the healing signet. However I would be a bit disappointed about tome of Wrath.
First of all tomes seem really cool and very unique to me. Summonning an ancient tome to read spells that are really powerfull is cool.
Next to that you would take away the ability of a guardian apply AoE burning easily and huge AoE CC (Which they do not have too much).

In my opinion tomes should’ve been a new skill type for guardian instead of traps but I guess it’s too late for that

Maybe you can make tome of wrath something like Concecration of Wrath, a magical spell that allows to to gain power from a summoned book that lets you cast other spells. Logic right?

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Sythus.2396

Sythus.2396

I think it’s a good change, but i would like to keep the 5 of tome of wrath!, atleast the animation, it’s the best in the game really, it feels so powerful, if “Feel My Wrath” has that, well it would be awsome

Love the changes as well as I feel Tomes are lacking, but would also love to keep that skill, it’s one of my favourites

Quite silly and all that, I know!

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Vael Victus.2654

Vael Victus.2654

I want to give my use case on the Tome of Courage. I do not play PvE with my guardian, just SPvP.

I successfully run a point-defense build with hammer and staff. Not necessarily bunker, but quite bunky. I can almost always survive 1v1 no problem, but when it comes to 1v2 or when I need to be healing my allies, I love the Tome of Courage. I’ll usually bunk far and when I’m in trouble, heal’s on CD, I’ll pop ToC and soon after skill 5 for a full heal. I take the elite focus trait for stability.

It’s powerful but certainly not unstoppable. I’m often dazed by pistol thieves, busted around by engis. I would miss it if it were gone, and I really question the power of the signet you’re proposing, even if it had a 3-minute cooldown on use.

Sadly it seems I’m in the minority! I know if I wanted to be a superbunk that I could take renewed focus, but I do like ToC for its party/self support. Maybe you folks would come up with some other desirable elite. I have little experience with the tome of wrath.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: KrisHQ.4719

KrisHQ.4719

Alright. I’ll write my initial thoughts and suggestions here.
I’ve always thought having a very powerful heal on the guardian was good thing, especially as an elite. It really allows for clutch-heals and is extremely rewarding if used correctly.
It’s a shame the Tomes are not viable as they are, so changing them is in my opinion a good thing.

Tome Of Courage/Signet of Courage:
I know Signets have a passive effect, which is very core to their design.
But keep in mind that such passives are also very dull, and add very little counter-play. Neither are such passive effects opening up for a lot of opportunistic play, they are very limited in their use and synergy with other skills.

Changing the Tome into simply being Light Of Deliverance is imo a good change though. Makes it much easier to use, and will allow for a lot of great saves. Additionally the animation is very good, and will be very spectator-friendly. It’s a simple mechanic, but it allows for very interesting plays especially in a gamemode like Stronghold.

Consider changing the type, or simply keep the category “Tomes” while still pushing these changes. I think having yet another passive effect will be unhealthy for the game. It’s impossible to account for in competitive games as a spectator.

Tome of Wrath/Feel My Wrath
Thematically it seems to fit quite well, but I’m very sad to see the fifth skill “Judgement” go. Zealot’s Fervor is not a very interesting skill, and will be yet another rather spammable skill. Why not change Tome of Wrath to be something like “Judgement is upon you!” and act like the skill #5 on Tome of Wrath now.
Guardians already lack CC, so this would also be a good way to grant them some. A heavy damaging AoE knockdown could be used in various scenarios.
I would suggest giving the shout a slight casting time (differs from other shouts, I know but it IS an Elite Shout), and a minor telegraph (could be the character stomping the ground while shouting).

If you dislike that idea, I would suggest changing the mechanic of the shout entirely.
My alternative suggestion would be:
Grant allies increased damage (~20%) and a chance to stun enemies on hit (or another secondary effect) for a period of time.
Already plenty of fury going on, we don’t need another source. Furthermore, guardians already have an elite that grants fury if traited. And quickness is fine, but I’m afraid your suggestion would collide with skills such as Time Warp.

I think that’s it!
Feel free to ask any questions.

Lysis Kawahara – D/D Elementalist
Zaphiel Faires – DPS Guardian

(edited by KrisHQ.4719)

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Siva Mira.3546

Siva Mira.3546

It is about time. Gets it done JonPeters!

All is vain.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Gagaru.6132

Gagaru.6132

Oh my god I need a tome specialized guardian yesterday.

More seriously, I only ever used Tome of Courage for Light of Deliverance, so I can’t say I hate the idea. But I’ll miss Judgment. So flashy. Even if flashy was all it had going for it.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Tzozef.9841

Tzozef.9841

Wanted to run a potential idea past you all. Comments welcome.

Tome of Courage -> Signet of Courage
Passive: PBAoE Heal every 10 seconds.
Active: Light of Deliverance

Tome of Wrath -> “Feel My Wrath”
Shout that grants Quickness and Fury

We like the idea of tomes and if we did this we would hope to bring them back in a future Elite Specialization.

Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks,

Jon

These are pretty solid replacements.

My suggestions:
Signet of Courage- Divide the healing by 10, and make it every 1 second instead. Gives it a different flavor and we already got other signets’ passives that occur every 10 seconds anyway.

“Feel My Wrath”-I like this in the form of a shout and makes a lot of sense, giving us access to different boons within a smaller and simpler cooldown as a Shout.
(I previously thought a Spirit and call it Spirit of Wrath, allowing you the same 5 skills in your weapon bar, but it would be in control of a blue spirit)

However for BOTH skills, make their active effects a combination of their skills 4 & 5 from their Tome predecessors, so they still feel like the tomes we used and don’t lose their edge.

Signet of Courage Active would be – Pacifism & Light of Deliverance.

“Feel My Wrath”‘s shout would give Zealot’s Fervor (Quickness/Fury) & Judgement (AoE knockdown)

Simply because when I used Tome of Courage I found Pacifism very helpful.
and Judgement on Tome of Wrath was quite timely in those GroupvGroup fight situations when I need more control.

So I suggest keep both 4+5 skills effects from their Tome predecessors, and balance it as you wish.

It’s important to maintain their “oopmh” factor and maintain the visual effects that made it cool.

Otherwise I think the Signet and Shout idea is perfect, and synergizes well with current Guardian builds using Shouts and/or Signets already.

You have my vote Jon!

(edited by Tzozef.9841)

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Erikir.3765

Erikir.3765

Both these ideas are good but I feel that they seem a bit mundane for elite skills, while powerful they fell kind of lacking in the flair that tomes had. My idea is to make them Spirit Weapons.

When activated they would become an ethereal book that floats next to the Guardian.

They would pulse with an AoE effect every few seconds.
—Tome of Courage would pulse healing, protection and/or cure conditions
—Tome of Wrath would pulse retaliation, damage (burning when traited), and weakness

They would then have an active ability
—Tome of Courage would cast with “Light of Deliverance”
—Tome of Wrath would cast an AoE version of “Judgement” and grant might, fury, and/or quickness

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Donari.5237

Donari.5237

I will miss my pretty floating book. It had a lot of fun effects on the 1-5 keys, too. But Light of Deliverance has always been my main reason to deploy the tome (the aoe blind is also fun), so as long as that effect remains I suppose I can deal with the less cool effects of just emitting light from my body.

While I have no need for the trinity I have always enjoyed playing healers/support in other games, so that channeled 5 second full heal to the whole party has satisfied that nagging itch in my heart. I could call out on Mumble “big heal near Briara” and get a chorus of thanks. I’d like to keep that.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Cake.4920

Cake.4920

Tome of Courage was super powerful in Stronghold, it was one of the few ways to keep your npcs alive, and keep an offensive push going. I’m afraid if you change it, you’ll see more stalling and defense. Are you sure you want to change it?

Another shout that works off traits AND gives fury/quickness seems super OP. Just my 2 cents.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: The V.8759

The V.8759

Tome of Courage – Make it a CONSECRATION
Traited with Master of Consecrations, the tome duration is increased and both Tome CD and Skills CD are lowered
Change the duration from 20s to 25s, so traited it becomes 30s, and take into account that in that 30s the skills themselves have lower CD, so you can use them more often

Tome of Wrath – Make it a SPIRIT-WEAPON
Traited with Expeditious Spirit, the 1-5 skills will inflict 1 stack of burning (so Conflagrate will grant 2 stacks of burn since its initial affect is 1 burn) and the skills will have 20% lower cooldown.

Also the idea of this guy is great in my opinion. Make it’s active of the Wrath do the quickness and fury on allies while knocking down aoe enemies. make it burn and damage enemies on it’s AutoAttack.

One of the Firstborn Channel of Fvux

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

Light of Deliverance heals for 50k to everyone in your party, so this could either be part of the new meta, or totally useless. I’d definitely give it a try when a pug seems like it could use a little more support than my Virtues can provide. After all, an extra Aegis, some burning and a little healing isn’t much compared to fully healing everyone. I’d still use Renewed Focus when I’m open worlding or by myself, but that sounds like some awesome part play right there.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: ArchielDiem.7650

ArchielDiem.7650

add Tome of Wrath’s AoE knockdown (or at least that cool animation) to that Shout
and I think we’d have a deal

Currently, the idea of “Feel My Wrath” seems a little boring to me. Though I know the theorycrafters would love it, but I like flash and flavor, not just numbers…

An Elite skill should LOOK elite, and have presence and be noticeable when it’s been used.

PS: as for Signet of Courage, depending on the animations that sounds like a pretty cool idea

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: ProtoMarcus.7649

ProtoMarcus.7649

Signet of Courage (Untraited)
Passive: PBAoE Heal every 10 Seconds
Cooldown: 120s

Signet of Courage (Traited)
Passive: PBAoE every 8s (OR 20% more healing efficiency every 10s)
Cooldown: 96s
Cooldown: 40s

“Feel My Wrath!” (Traited)
Grant 3s of Quickness
Grant 10s of Fury
Cooldown: 32s
Convert 1 condition to a Boon

Yeah, sounds delicious

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: GonzoNeo.4965

GonzoNeo.4965

I like the idea but i prefer Signter of Courage go to Shout, and “Feel My Wrath” a signet.

Signet are in the offensive trait line of guardian, so the traits to improve a “offensive” Elite will be better there, and shout are in the “support” trait line, so much better to a heal/support elite.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Tasao.4623

Tasao.4623

I’d welcome these changes. I like the proposed skills both much more than the current Tome versions.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

I wouldn’t be opposed to “Feel My Wrath” also having a short knockdown component.

I know if I didn’t decide to pull an all nighter I’d have some additional ideas you could mull over, but at the moment I’ve got nothing. The only thing I can think of so far is that I’d like to see a consecration heal and elite, but that might be more work than its worth at the current point in time and development. Conceptually what you’re put before us is good, I guess it really just depends on the numbers.

If “Feel My Wrath” has a similar uptime to cooldown ratio as Warrior Elite Signet, that would be fantastic, and if the signet had a cooldown that made it worth trying to activate that would also be great. I’m not a fan of utilities that cooldown twice as long as other elites, and elites that cooldown over 3 time as long.

Fishsticks

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: xAtri.9378

xAtri.9378

Tome of Courage:

Passive: Grant regen to party.
Active: PBAoE pulsing heal over 5 seconds, protection.

Tome of Wrath:

Active: Party fury and quickness for 6s

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Ignavia.7420

Ignavia.7420

I was never a fan of tomes, they just felt way to clunky. A question though: Can Light of Deliverance be cast while moving or does it still root you in place?

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Jon

Please consider: We could keep the current tomes but categorize the skills the tomes give, making tomes an effective capstone for all 5 utility skill types.

An example of possible assignments~

Tome of Courage
((Signet)) Heal Area Heal allies in the target area.
((Spirit Weapon)) Purifying Ribbon Release a ribbon of light that bounces to nearby enemies and allies, curing conditions on each ally hit and blinding each foe hit.
((Consecration)) Protective Spirit Grant protection and regeneration to allies in a cone.
((Symbol)) Pacifism Pacify foes, dazing them for three seconds.
((Shout)) Light of Deliverance Fully heal up to five nearby allies.

Tome of Wrath
((Consecration)) Conflagrate Burn foes in the target area.
((Spirit Weapon)) Affliction Send out a projectile that makes foes crippled and weak.
((Shout)) Smiter’s Boon Send out a cone that grants might and swiftness to allies.
((Symbol)) Zealot’s Fervor Grant fury and quickness to all nearby allies.
((Signet)) Judgment Knock down and damage nearby foes with a massive blast.

These are chosen to interact properly with the new skill-type based buffs in the trait lines~

Consecrations – Master of Consecrations:
•Recharge reduced: 20%
•Duration increase: 20%

Shouts – Pure Voice:
•Conditions Converted to Boons: 1

Signets – Perfect Inscriptions:
•Effectiveness increased: 20%

Spirit Weapons – Expeditious Spirit:
•Apply Burning

Symbols – Writ of Persistence:
•Heal
•Duration increase; 2 sec
•Radius increase: 60

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: insanemaniac.2456

insanemaniac.2456

Any idea for Cooldowns if these would be put in place? The Tomes are pretty cool, but Courage, currently, is almost useless.

I don’t have the heal/boon duration numbers in my head but the current test cooldowns are 180 on signet of course and 30 on “feel my wrath.”

Jon

maybe make feel my wrath line up with lyssa runes when traited and buff the duration accordingly? that could be nifty too.

JQ: Rikkity
head here to discuss wvw without fear of infractions

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: SkyyHigh.4950

SkyyHigh.4950

I really like the idea of Signet of Courage. It allows me to better support my team just for having it on my bar, and the active gives the best part of Tome of Courage (and often the main reason for running it in the first place) with a neat bit of play attached: do I pop this now for maximum heals, or do I wait and try to squeeze another tick out of the passive effect?

I do not like “Feel My Wrath!” It just seems like something that every DPS guardian (especially PvE) will just have to remember to cast on recharge, which would be very annoying to remember. Plus, it’s not even like it’s fun. Shouts aren’t particularly fun skills. They’re useful as heck but for an elite it’s just lackluster, and that’s not something you can really change because by definition shouts don’t have much in the way of counterplay. No cast time, no way to react to it, can’t even be prevented from using them with stuns…it’s just there, all the time. Not to mention the fact that shouts are some of the guardian’s strongest utilities right now, I just don’t think an elite shout would be a great idea because it would push shouts even harder than they are right now.

I would turn Tome of Wrath into a spirit weapon. I would say either an actual spirit or just an invisible entity that wields both the spirit shield and the spirit greatsword (as a one-handed sword). The toggle skill (like all spirit weapons) can be an aoe pulse with a cast time that does damage and grants allies quickness and fury.

There, now you’ve kept the functionality of the original skill (or the part you were going to keep, anyway), you’ve buffed a skill type that sorely needs buffing (spirit weapons are probably the worst guardian utilities right now as a whole), you made the skill much more “elite feeling” (who doesn’t love summoning a giant set of weapons to fight for them…oh of course the models are going to be bigger than normal spirit weapons) and you make the skill something that you need to think about when you cast it rather than setting it to autoattack (because you don’t want your buff spirit dying to AoE or being left behind in a skip section before you really need the party quickness buff).

IGN: Skyy High / Talon Drakke

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Jns.1059

Jns.1059

add Tome of Wrath’s AoE knockdown (or at least that cool animation) to that Shout
and I think we’d have a deal

Well said!

http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/%22Coward!%22

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: rajule.8054

rajule.8054

are these replacements still elites or regular utilities. I don’t think I would take either over renewed focus unless the passive on the signet was a substantial heal.

if they’re just utilites then sure why not.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Shadelang.3012

Shadelang.3012

I like this alot. I would love to see tomes come back as a later thing (GUARDIAN KITS kitten IT) But for what you have shown I can see myself using those abilities. So I am full game for them.

Ghost Yak

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: KiLLiAN.5629

KiLLiAN.5629

I love the idea of a new shout and Feel My Wrath looks great. I almost never used the tomes anyway.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Conncept.7638

Conncept.7638

Can Signet of Courages effect be on a 5 second interval instead of 10? Ten seconds is the standard interval for similar utilities and traits, it would feel more ‘elite’ operating on a lower interval.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Jovel.5706

Jovel.5706

A signet and a shout.

Removing the tome animations leaves me sour, are people really okay with ArenaNet throwing these away?

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Turtle Dragon.9241

Turtle Dragon.9241

I like the idea of Signet of Courage and “Feel my Wrath”, but we are losing Pacifism(from ToC).
Pacifism is the only way for Guardian to inflict Daze.

You should incorporate 1-second Daze into the new Dragonhunter trait Heavy Light instead of the Knockback that PvE players hate and are already screaming about. That way we can still apply Daze and wont miss Pacifism so much.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Kelnis.1829

Kelnis.1829

I like the idea of having more useful Guardian elites. Renewed Focus is just far too strong (really, our other elites are just far too weak, at least in that the opportunity cost is too high) and we need something to pull us towards other options.

“Signet of Courage”
What sort of heal numbers will this pbaoe be providing? On a 10s tick, I imagine it would be somewhere in the 800-1200 (baseline) range? If it scaled with healing power well (say, 50-100%) I could see builds running it for some situations. If its lower, consider an additional passive effect: Outgoing healing is increased by 10%.

“Feel My Wrath”
This has a bit of overlap with other sources of quickness currently. As a DPS-orient Guardian I like the idea of it, but again, Renewed Focus is hard to replace. Bump the CD to 60s, give it more pronounced effects. I’d like to see a shout effect that increases based on proximity to the guardian (a supportive antithesis of Fear Me, essentially.) Perhaps make it grant 1s of Quickness, 10s of fury if you’re outside of 300 range and 2s Quickness, 20s of Fury if your allies are within 300 range. However, this is paired with an offensive portion: If an enemy is within the base 600 range they are crippled/weakened for 3s. If they are within 120-180, they are knocked down for 3s as well.

So, if any ally were within 300 of you, they’d receive the full 3s of quickness and 30s of fury (it would be additive because both range checks would be True.) If any enemies were within 150 range, they’d be crippled/weakened/knocked down.

Might be a bit too elaborate for the intention of this post.

Regardless, I’d probably use “Feel My Wrath” in PvE, it would be fun having a source of quickness I could rely on.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: BrunoBRS.5178

BrunoBRS.5178

Jon

Please consider: We could keep the current tomes but categorize the skills the tomes give, making tomes an effective capstone for all 5 utility skill types.

An example of possible assignments~

Tome of Courage
((Signet)) Heal Area Heal allies in the target area.
((Spirit Weapon)) Purifying Ribbon Release a ribbon of light that bounces to nearby enemies and allies, curing conditions on each ally hit and blinding each foe hit.
((Consecration)) Protective Spirit Grant protection and regeneration to allies in a cone.
((Symbol)) Pacifism Pacify foes, dazing them for three seconds.
((Shout)) Light of Deliverance Fully heal up to five nearby allies.

Tome of Wrath
((Consecration)) Conflagrate Burn foes in the target area.
((Spirit Weapon)) Affliction Send out a projectile that makes foes crippled and weak.
((Shout)) Smiter’s Boon Send out a cone that grants might and swiftness to allies.
((Symbol)) Zealot’s Fervor Grant fury and quickness to all nearby allies.
((Signet)) Judgment Knock down and damage nearby foes with a massive blast.

These are chosen to interact properly with the new skill-type based buffs in the trait lines~

Consecrations – Master of Consecrations:
•Duration increase: 20%

Shouts – Pure Voice:
•Conditions Converted to Boons: 1

Signets – Perfect Inscriptions:
•Effectiveness increased: 20%

Spirit Weapons – Expeditious Spirit:
•Apply Burning

Symbols – Writ of Persistence:
•Heal
•Duration increase; 2 sec
•Radius increase: 60

that would make tomes way, WAY too convoluted and needlessly complex, and the tomes themselves still wouldn’t have skill types.

LegendaryMythril/Zihark Darshell

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Will this extend to Necros and Warriors by chance?

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Tenrai Senshi.2017

Tenrai Senshi.2017

Jon

A 180 second cooldown on a signet would be a bit extreme. It means if you do end up using the signet, you have to go without the passive effect for a very, very long duration, which kinda defeats the point to a certain degree.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: fadeaway.2807

fadeaway.2807

Why would you put the support-y ability with signets? The trait is in our DPS line.

And the shout ability is geared towards offense, yet our shout traits are in our support line.

I understand you might be trying to balance things out, but that sort of thing is just counter-intuitive. IMO the heal should be the shout and the quickness should be the signet. Then I might finally have a reason to unlock GM traits for radiance on my 2h sword guardian.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Zeru.1832

Zeru.1832

Those both look like a much better skills in general. Tomes are currently very clunky and have a very small niche they cover.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Cracklerjack.4895

Cracklerjack.4895

I’m an absolute fan of these changes. Great Ideas!

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Ithamir.5928

Ithamir.5928

I have to say it. I love tomes. They’re not useful, but I love them. The main reason I was excited to play a guardian before GW2’s release. Maybe make them more like kits? With some cooldown of course. I would hate to see them go instead of reworked.

Praise be to Balthazar, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: D I V A.6018

D I V A.6018

These changes seem very good. Tomes always felt clunky to me.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Thought about it a bit more:
Signet of Courage’s passive could make Guardian stacking even more of a thing in WvW. You basically just made a new Healing Signet but with a group heal that is ideal for the melee trains.

Basically, it’d just be promoting more passive play from a class that already has loads of such passive play … enough to actually be able to facetank damage in a game where facetanking kills others.

I’d prefer to see things that promote more active play … in a game with action combat … where active plays are why you want action combat.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: kimeekat.2548

kimeekat.2548

We like the idea of tomes and if we did this we would hope to bring them back in a future Elite Specialization.

I especially like that last line :) The books have beautiful animation and are a really cool concept, I can just never find a way to work them into my shout build and end up always running Renewed Focus. It always feels like I’m too vulnerable and locked in with the books, which would be a reasonable pressure to add in if I could do something like trait to boost their effects or longevity.

I’m all for the changes; like I said I use a shout build so I’d finally feel like I had two reasonable elite skill options.

Just to pop into the cooldown topic, RF has a 90 sec cooldown (half of the tomes). Based on the skills in the original post, I’d expect “Feel My Wrath!” to be around that mark and for Signet of Courage probably a little higher (120?) depending on how wide the AoE effect is/max number of targets.

Clove Zolan – Bringers of Aggro [Oops] – Blackgate

(edited by kimeekat.2548)

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Chaion.8341

Chaion.8341

Been wanting to make this kind of suggestion for tomes for ages, but thankfully you guys already have it on your mind! Basically, I’m very much in favour of the original post suggestions, although the passive of the Signet (pbAoE heal) would concern me, as I would think it would be difficult to get a sweet spot between totally underwhelming and stupidly OP. In which case, maybe a different passive effect altogether would be better. If you felt it could be balanced to be useful, it sounds good though.

The only other thought I had been having with Guardian tomes, is that I REALLY like the idea of them, but to even consider using them as they are (5 replacement weapon skills), they would have to be like engineer kits – cooldown on individual component skills only, and otherwise being able to replace your 5 weapon skills, while keeping utilities and possibly virtues on the bar.

(P.S. If you ever have it in your heart to remake Norn racial skills, please let them be engineer kit-style forms, they are weak anyway, but it would deepen the experience to be able to transform into a spirit animal form at will!)

Really psyched that you are paying attention to the vast amount of unused Guardian skills, as I really want to main Guardian for life, but was finding the updates/revamps very underwhelming for a long time. Hopeful with HoT!

EDIT: What about using the passive of the signet to pulse AoE weakness on like 3s duration to 5 targets every 10s while in combat? Something that is providing incoming damage reduction passively, instead of healing damage already done?

Also with the elite shout (fury and quickness), cooldown could be in the range of 60s or something akin to Warriors elite signet? Just thoughts….

(edited by Chaion.8341)

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

As long as Signet of Courage’s passive is not too strong, and its usefulness lies more on its active effect than its passive effect, I think there won’t be any worries about stacking. But, of course, the passive should still be relevant enough to be exciting.

About the shout, I agree about the lack of counterplay. And, as I have said already, and as others have said as well, fury+quickness is more fitting of a warrior or revenant than a guardian.

So, instead of the shout suggestion, I recommend a consecration that would apply the tome’s 5th skill, the aoe knockdown, on activation, plus something else with the field (have it tick fury on allies, without the quickness, plus burning on enemies?).

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

Would like to see this pulse much faster. 3 seconds (same tempo as Battle Presence) at the longest — 2 seconds being better. With our low health pool we need something that gets in to play really soon after a spike starts.

Tome of Wrath -> “Feel My Wrath”
Shout that grants Quickness and Fury

As others have said, throw in a PBAoE knock down and you have a deal.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Sylv.5324

Sylv.5324

For Guardian, these looks like they could be fun and interesting.

However, if you’re going to let Guardian apply Quickness to the party, then I hope you are upping Mesmers’ ability to do reliable damage in PvE. Otherwise you could possibly be edging Mesmers completely out of the speedrun meta. Guardians already do more damage more reliably and have higher uptime on their reflects … not to mention heavy armor and no worries about AOE/cleave killing their phantasms (back to the reliable aspect of damage).

This. <333333

Ardeth, Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Velho.7123

Velho.7123

As a Guardian since beta, I would LOVE these changes. Tomes as kits like Engineer’s would be awesome, but turning them into essentially what they are used for is INCREDIBLE compared to what we have right now.

Tome of Courage was only used for it’s huge heal and Tome of Wrath was just used for it’s Quickness (Fury is a bit nice, but we have Persisting Flames for that) in PvE.

I completely back these two ideas, while having a 5 second Quickness on a 30s cooldown is not overpowered, and yet it is incredible compared to a 180s cooldown for 5s of Quickness, considering the huge cast compared to Mesmer’s 10 seconds of Quickness with a really short cast.

Signet of Courage would be amazing for Cleric builds to carry in Fractals/HotW/Aetherpath, and would finally get some synergy with signet traits.

My ONLY big issue is how the Signet(Perfect Inscriptions) trait does NOT feel powerful with all the traits. Maybe shaving some cooldowns(from the Signets themselves or a 50% reduction in cooldowns) would make it a far more powerful trait, since it is already a Grandmaster level trait.

Thanks for showing us you care about our feedback.

Matt [LOD]
Guardian main since launch

(edited by Velho.7123)

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

DiogoSilva.7089

Judgment
Consecration

Knocks down all foes on ground area. Creates a fire/ light field in that area that applies X (burning? weakness? damage?) to all foes and Y (fury? might? retaliation? healing?) to ally allies.

It could be something like burning + damage and retaliation + healing; or just burning and fury.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

Posted by: Mikau.6920

Mikau.6920

Cool idea. Now the tomes are really underwelming. This would be a good change and open a lot of new builds. I loved it.

Sorry for my english.

Tome Change ideas

in Guardian

DiogoSilva.7089

Also, the biggest drawback behind those changes, is that all other players’ professions will envy them. coughelementalistscough