Viability Of Cleric Gear

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Melody Cross.8465

Melody Cross.8465

With Clerics gear most of my damage is coming (and I do mean most in a team) from perma-retaliation on me and almost perma on my teammates. Runes I run on it are 2 Monk 2 Water and 2 Travelers. Lets me keep my buffs up for crazy long times…and one of those buffs also happens to be regen too :p

what if I tell you retaliation damage scales with your power?

I’d say Might stacks then take off the kid gloves and tell you Ozzy and Coley—and anyone else—that I roll up and smoke zerkers like a cheap blunt. bring your PvE junk into WvW and anyone who plays more than once a week knows just how long you’ll last against a havoc or a zerg. Frak: in a havoc or a zerg you’re glass cannon crud gets you dead at the gate cuz you’re over-reliant on dodges and no one’s going to waste time ressing a guardian that explodes in 15 seconds. Someone hits you and realizes just how soft you are, their mission in life becomes making sure you down ASAP if you don’t drop from AoE in the first place which you probably did because you are zerker thus you are leet.

So yes, please bring your zerk on in. I love farming you scrubs. You guys make me skill points and loot bags snaps fingers all day long and I laugh when you roll in here on a BnW about skill balance.

Just like all the other PvE scrubs we’ve been rolling over the last couple months. One of the best Commanders in our server is an AH guardian. He’s a hardass but he knows how to drop the hammer. And he also knows why high HP is important.

Do you? Sorry, redundant question. Actually, not sorry. Stopped being sorry halfway through reading page two. And as for redundant: You folk really need to think about why high HP is important and strong healing from a guardian is useful. But you guys don’t seem to understand that dirty word “think”. You just know how to spike AI and troll forums until you kitten others off.

(edited by Melody Cross.8465)

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: spoj.9672

spoj.9672

I love farming zergs on my zerker necro. Holy lootbags batman! Not hard to survive at all.

Anyway we were talking about pve. Obviously things like cleric gear and whatever are viable in wvw and pvp….

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Oxxy.7068

Oxxy.7068

I’d say Might stacks then take off the kid gloves and tell you Ozzy and Coley—and anyone else—that I roll up and smoke zerkers like a cheap blunt. bring your PvE junk into WvW and anyone who plays more than once a week knows just how long you’ll last against a havoc or a zerg. Frak: in a havoc or a zerg you’re glass cannon crud gets you dead at the gate cuz you’re over-reliant on dodges and no one’s going to waste time ressing a guardian that explodes in 15 seconds. Someone hits you and realizes just how soft you are, their mission in life becomes making sure you down ASAP if you don’t drop from AoE in the first place which you probably did because you are zerker thus you are leet.

So yes, please bring your zerk on in. I love farming you scrubs. You guys make me skill points and loot bags snaps fingers all day long and I laugh when you roll in here on a BnW about skill balance.

Just like all the other PvE scrubs we’ve been rolling over the last couple months. One of the best Commanders in our server is an AH guardian. He’s a hardass but he knows how to drop the hammer. And he also knows why high HP is important.

Do you? Sorry, redundant question. Actually, not sorry. Stopped being sorry halfway through reading page two. And as for redundant: You folk really need to think about why high HP is important and strong healing from a guardian is useful. But you guys don’t seem to understand that dirty word “think”. You just know how to spike AI and troll forums until you kitten others off.

Why the hell are you comparing WvW with PvE scnarios? Are you serious?
WvW is a zergfest kitten, go play sPvP

Pic related.

Attachments:

Luminifera ~ Guardian – Trisha Blackhands ~ Thief – Hua Yue ~ Elementalist.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: haviz.1340

haviz.1340

What if I tell you some of us plays/played real pvp?

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Melody Cross.8465

Melody Cross.8465

Is full cleric guardian viable in high level fractals and WvW?

Currently, I’m running full cleric gear (power/toughness/heal) with cleric ascended rings/amulets, have heal over 900 and toughness 3200 something.

I’m wondering whether I made the right decision to run this kind of setup, it’s quite common to hear that Healing Power is useless stat.

I love farming zergs on my zerker necro. Holy lootbags batman! Not hard to survive at all.

Anyway we were talking about pve. Obviously things like cleric gear and whatever are viable in wvw and pvp….

So you’re telling me that the last three pages pf flame hate from ozzy coley et al is just one massive misread on their part? They just don’t know how to read past the word “fractals”?

Well that just makes everything all better now don’kitten Shucks I’m sorry fellas. I didn’t realize ya’ll was on the short bus.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Oxxy.7068

So you’re telling me that the last three pages pf flame hate from ozzy coley et al is just one massive misread on their part? They just don’t know how to read past the word “fractals”?

Well that just makes everything all better now don’kitten Shucks I’m sorry fellas. I didn’t realize ya’ll was on the short bus.

And Melody, OP came here asking if cleric is viable pve and wvw wise, and while it can be used in closed and organized groups at wvw, in PvE it is utter trash, that’s about it.

I’m sorry, i thought you could read.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

spoj.9672

So were not allowed to state that clerics isnt viable in pve just because the op was asking about 2 seperate parts of the game?

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: The Mexican Cookie.3690

The Mexican Cookie.3690

WvW isnt real PvP.

#LoveArrows2013, never forget.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Is full cleric guardian viable in high level fractals and WvW?

Currently, I’m running full cleric gear (power/toughness/heal) with cleric ascended rings/amulets, have heal over 900 and toughness 3200 something.

I’m wondering whether I made the right decision to run this kind of setup, it’s quite common to hear that Healing Power is useless stat.

We’ve already said Cleric works in WvW. It’s just the PvE aspect we’re talking about now because people keep saying it’s good, and that play how you want (= leeching off parties) is a perfectly acceptable thing to do in dungeons.

I love seeing these tough guys post, they’re like internet chavs threatening to beat us up virtually even though they haven’t realised we weren’t even talking about PvP game modes.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

(edited by colesy.8490)

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Wukunlin.8461

Wukunlin.8461

With Clerics gear most of my damage is coming (and I do mean most in a team) from perma-retaliation on me and almost perma on my teammates. Runes I run on it are 2 Monk 2 Water and 2 Travelers. Lets me keep my buffs up for crazy long times…and one of those buffs also happens to be regen too :p

8/10, you are getting there but you need to get more emotions in to pack a full punch.

Oceanic [LOD]

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

haviz.1340

8/10, you are getting there but you need to get more emotions in to pack a full punch.

Attachments:

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

haviz.1340

WvW isnt real PvP.

^

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Yaki.9563

Yaki.9563

It’s funny watching threads like this where the bad DPS from WoW have become king of the hill in GW2 because the poorly designed PvE suits their playstyle. I guess bads need their day too.

I especially love the guy who said Teq was only hard because of all the bad casuals, then guests to another server to get carried. Hahaha!

(edited by Yaki.9563)

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Oxxy.7068

It’s funny watching threads like this where the bad DPS from WoW have become king of the hill in GW2 because the poorly designed PvE suits their playstyle. I guess bads need their day too.

I especially love the guy who said Teq was only hard because of all the bad casuals, then guests to another server to get carried. Hahaha!

I never played wow. On my last game i played as a tank, the aggro mechanics heavily depended on DPS, which means i had to do perfect rotations with tank gear to dish out enough damage to keep the bosses on me and not on the heavy hitters, and open world pvp had better depth than this zergy crap that wvw is. Don’t talk on high heels just because i can adapt my gameplay while you’re stuck on your last game.

(edited by Oxxy.7068)

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

haviz.1340

I’ve been the bestest tank in wow. Hahaha!

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

Nike Porphyrogenita.8137

I especially love the guy who said Teq was only hard because of all the bad casuals,

What part of that isn’t accurate?

Aren’t you the scrub who was saying 30 in Tactics was good for warrior dps builds?

Death and Taxes [DnT]
http://www.twitch.tv/nike_dnt
DnT is Recruiting – http://www.dtguilds.com/

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

spoj.9672

Wouldnt exactly say I was carried seeing as I didnt die during the whole encounter and was probably contributing alot more dps on teq than most of the people constantly failing to dodge. Honestly have you actually been on a server where even though people try to organise none of them actually use conjures or dodge the waves? Its ridiculous how bad most players are at that fight.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: swiftpaw.6397

swiftpaw.6397

omg lol, this guy. What did you do to him oxxy?

WvW isnt real PvP.

^

^

Grandmaster Forum Mind Brain
|-Swiftpaw Sharpclaw [DnT]-|

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Oxxy.7068

I just praised his stand-up comedy habilities.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

swiftpaw.6397

I just praised his stand-up comedy habilities.

You are my new favorite poster. You just made someone go…

Attachments:

(edited by swiftpaw.6397)

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: TheMaskedParadigm.3629

TheMaskedParadigm.3629

WvW is the short bus of PvP.

Attachments:

Brazil
Youtube Channel – http://www.youtube.com/t3llularman

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

This subforum never fails to deliver.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: laharl.8435

laharl.8435

The fact that you can’t even recognize the optimal build for pve, which is easy compared to pvp, leads me to believe you’re too ignorant on game mechanics to run a good pvp build and use proper rotations.

(edited by laharl.8435)

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Boonprot.6274

Boonprot.6274

People keep saying this, but somehow I think that a game mode with 0 build diversity whose entire goal is to sit on a point longer than someone else and has a mediocre following can’t really claim supremacy. Then there’s that whole eSport thing that imploded spectacularly and still has ANet feebly trying to promote it. ANet has finally decided to throw sPvP a bone by creating more match types. I guess over a year late is better than never?

WvW GvGs were pulling in 1k-2k viewers fairly consistently for the top guilds and 200-1k for the smaller guilds. That’s not a small number of viewers by any means, and they were happening almost every day of every week. I do agree that the vast majority of it is unskilled pugs who probably wouldn’t know what the terms synergy or optimization mean. However, I think people are remiss to ignore that entire side of the game because they drink the ANet kool-aid a little too heavily.

Anyways, back on topic: full cleric’s is bad in PvE and also very bad in WvW. In terms of PvE, you should be running full Berserker and learning how to dodge. As for WvW, you have zero vitality, low power, zero crit chance, and zero crit damage. You could easily drop down to 500 – 800 Healing Power and sit safely at 3.1k Armor, 1.9k-2k power, 20-30% crit chance, 60% crit damage, and 20k or so health. Healing power is a very good stat, but people tend to over-invest at the detriment of other stats.

Edit: I’d also like to know which server this Melody person is on. Judging by the use of the term Havoc, I’d guess one of the T1 blobfests.

Supreme Commander Boonprot, Lord Regent of the Portals
Boonprot 80 G
[Ark] Maguuma

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Syn Sity.5826

Syn Sity.5826

People keep saying this, but somehow I think that a game mode with 0 build diversity whose entire goal is to sit on a point longer than someone else and has a mediocre following can’t really claim supremacy. Then there’s that whole eSport thing that imploded spectacularly and still has ANet feebly trying to promote it. ANet has finally decided to throw sPvP a bone by creating more match types. I guess over a year late is better than never?

WvW GvGs were pulling in 1k-2k viewers fairly consistently for the top guilds and 200-1k for the smaller guilds. That’s not a small number of viewers by any means, and they were happening almost every day of every week. I do agree that the vast majority of it is unskilled pugs who probably wouldn’t know what the terms synergy or optimization mean. However, I think people are remiss to ignore that entire side of the game because they drink the ANet kool-aid a little too heavily.

Anyways, back on topic: full cleric’s is bad in PvE and also very bad in WvW. In terms of PvE, you should be running full Berserker and learning how to dodge. As for WvW, you have zero vitality, low power, zero crit chance, and zero crit damage. You could easily drop down to 500 – 800 Healing Power and sit safely at 3.1k Armor, 1.9k-2k power, 20-30% crit chance, 60% crit damage, and 20k or so health. Healing power is a very good stat, but people tend to over-invest at the detriment of other stats.

Edit: I’d also like to know which server this Melody person is on. Judging by the use of the term Havoc, I’d guess one of the T1 blobfests.

Melody smokes you like a blunt, son.

[DnT]

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Atamaz.4195

Atamaz.4195

I’m using a 10/30/0/10/20 and I found it for me the best support build in berserk gear so I don’t need heal at all and still can do lots of damage.

In my experience wearing zerk and kill mob faster is not just a “oh I finished the dungeon 5 minutes faster” but a full zerker team allow you to kill boss before defensive cd worn off; in a zerker team you kill mob faster so if you have 20 point in radiance you can spam virtue of justice aoe blind(+might if you have 5 point in virtue) more often and your party is safer than a heal because with blind you will take 0 from the next attack while a hit would hurt you for thousand hp in higher lv fractal, and for the moment you have justice in cd you have blind both in sword and gs, and aegis with courage and retreat, and if you already use your virtue you have renewed focus to use them again.

If you’re gearing with tanky stat(whatever non berserk/assassin/knight) you make the fight longer and is not just a matter of time, it mean that you will run out of cd and pvt won’t save you from hard hit of boss and mob of high fract nor it will regen.

Another thing i notice in tanky pug is that they tend to stay ranged or scattered around so your heal from mace and simbol in general will go wasted, and I personally use virtue of resolve to cleanse condition not to heal ~2k hp unless I know there’s no condition in the fight and some need it.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Kaizz.7306

Kaizz.7306

Healing Power doesn’t scale high enough for it to really matter. It’s nice to have a bit extra, but you won’t see this massive boost in healing from EP and AH if you have 100% clerics vs 100% soldiers (gear and accessories).

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

It is viable if you know what you are doing. It can work if you understand that the primary benefit of healing power on a guardian is selfless daring, which scales 1:1, so you need to be focusing on building your guardian to get as many dodge rolls as possible, whether by perma vigor, stamina sigil, or energy sigil.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

It is viable if you know what you are doing. It can work if you understand that the primary benefit of healing power on a guardian is selfless daring, which scales 1:1, so you need to be focusing on building your guardian to get as many dodge rolls as possible, whether by perma vigor, stamina sigil, or energy sigil.

Again, it has a niche in WvW, but that’s it.

And even there, i prefer PTV over Cleric anyway.

For PvE, is just out of the equation, period.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: timidobserver.7925

timidobserver.7925

Again, it has a niche in WvW, but that’s it.

And even there, i prefer PTV over Cleric anyway.

For PvE, is just out of the equation, period.

Well, what you prefer doesn’t really matter.

The OP asked if it is viable in WvW and Fractals, and at least in WvW, it is viable. I don’t do fractals, so I have no idea what is viable there. I believe PVE is still in that phase where zerker is the only thing that is viable.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Lord Rheios.4152

Lord Rheios.4152

I seem to notice the disconnect between both groups of people. One group thinks that viable is equivalent to optimal, and for the sake of speed running and what have you, it is. And their enjoyment seems to derive from obtaining mechanical advantage and mastery over the system. The connection of possible builds to provide optimum benefit and then running them, is enjoyable.

The other side seems to be pointing out that largely all dungeons are preformable in whatever manner you’d like if you drop the time limit and focus on enjoyment of perhaps a different sort, one of just the playing itself and perhaps the camaraderie that even a PUG aligned against adversaries may provide.

Really the two ideologies aren’t so disparate. Both groups goals are to have fun. One increases their fun via a time limit and optimized build, the other through a focus on play content and a group challenge in potentially sub-optimal but enjoyment enhancing gear.

The two groups probably should avoid each other in gameplay when possible (they hurt each other’s enjoyment), but there’s no real reason a person couldn’t be both, although a different set of gear would apparently, and perhaps understandably, be expected.

So I’d suggest the OP determine which of those play styles he’s seeking to emulate here and plan accordingly.

Feel free to let me know if any of that was overly assumptive. It just seems to me that this broke down into a yelling match when it needn’t have.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: FoopOplo.7914

FoopOplo.7914

It just seems to me that this broke down into a yelling match when it needn’t have.

Welcome to the internet.

Don’t play GUILD wars without a GUILD!

http://www.Vicarious-Gaming.enjin.com

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

swiftpaw.6397

It just seems to me that this broke down into a yelling match when it needn’t have.

Welcome to the internet.

People take it personally when the builds they love and cherish don’t amount to much in the eyes of forum goers.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Oxxy.7068

Just saw this thread again, had a laugh once more, thank you glorious internet.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

swiftpaw.6397

Just saw this thread again, had a laugh once more, thank you glorious internet.

And the internet loves you too, Random citizen!

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Ter.8251

Ter.8251

Check out Chris’s WvW video.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Shukay.3728

Shukay.3728

Bad Reasons To Play A Guardian:

But the cleric is still available for wvw…

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Onufrius.6589

Onufrius.6589

I know this thread is quite old by now, but I’d like to add my twopence for anyone reading this later on:

OP asks if Cleric’s gear is good for WvW and high-level fractals.

These are two completely different beasts, and even WvW can be a completely different game depending on whether you run with large groups, small ones, or roam solo (not a great idea in any build of Guardian).

Most of the answers have to do with the fractals. The fractals were added to the game as a concession to the more hardcore GW2 players who came from other MMOs. Their whole point is to go against the game’s altruistic and laid back philosophy, to make these players feel more at home in a game where they really don’t belong.

If you want to do high-level fractals you have to join this crowd, and you do what they tell you. Only one build accepted, fun is not an option, raging is to be expected. It’s like a small World of Warcraft experience, embedded in Guild Wars 2.

The rest of the game, including WvW, is meant to be played with other people, played they way you like, and is meant to be enjoyed all the way through. In any kind of group, support-y builds are appreciated and useful as much as anything.

Ofcourse you will always meet some people who demand full Berserker build for dungeons, or something or another, but I consider it better to just ignore them and play with more laid back folks. I’m in it for the fun of the process, not getting it over with like some kind of chore. You do have options: “Hardcore” gamers are just a minority in this game, although a very vocal (and perpetually angry) one.

Ulf the Bear
League of Casuals [LoC]
Ruins of Surmia

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: obal.3218

obal.3218

This thread…
The number of people on this tab alone that are no longer with us is greater than the heals you get from using clerics gear

Anyway in regards to the necro there are more than one build you would use in fractals now that you can change traits around on the fly to be optimal. Guardians provide passive support of blind spam, aegis, stability, condition removal, projectile defense, and perma prot if you run hammer. All of this support requires no special gear choices and costs barely any trait points and most spent are going into dps lines from that. DPS is also a form of support and it is stronger than small heals. It’s best to bring as much dps as you can and supplement survival with some knights/soldiers/celestial armor to go with the zerker trinkets if needed. Anything is viable in this game’s pve, but clerics gear is as ineffective as it gets (aside from the new tvh gear) and it just mostly wastes people’s time. DPS and damage mitigation are what you want for PVE and Guardian has plenty of both to offer.

(edited by obal.3218)

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: maha.7902

maha.7902

I miss these days T_T

Serah Mahariel – Death and Taxes

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

don’t ever take cleric gear in to dungeons/fractals unless you like being carried through content

Same goes for clerics on WvW.

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Trepidation Lost.3469

Trepidation Lost.3469

IF you want healing power the best way is through Celestial, this isn’t true only in the case’s when your build has 0 in the way of condition attacks. So as for guardian, it still has its uses. Iv’e tried about every combination of stats, and with celestial i sit at 3.200 toughness, 2100 power (with 25 stacks bloodlust, which is low but with the condi dmg high precision and extra ferocity its ok) 20k hp, 600 condition dmg, 900 healing, 200% critical dmg and 40% critical chance. This is with 0 0 6 6 2 in traits Im currently now using celestial with full zerker trinkets on a meditation guardian for roaming, and it kicks kitten .

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: oxtred.7658

oxtred.7658

Necro subforum is this way →

If you’re on EU and need help to get into dungeons, pm me.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Ghotistyx.6942

Ghotistyx.6942

If you’re going to necro a thread, at least do it the same day it was started to provide a semblance of a joke

Fishsticks

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Morsus.5106

Morsus.5106

PvE is all about damage. You might be able to find a niche for it in WvW or PvP though. The risk you run, is that you might run into another cleric and then it would be pointless.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: Xae Isareth.1364

Xae Isareth.1364

What if I tell you some of us plays/played real pvp?

Currently, ‘real’ PvP is a bit limited considering that we only have 1 sPvP game mode.

Viability Of Cleric Gear

in Guardian

Posted by: BobbyT.7192

BobbyT.7192

I use clerics when running supports/tanky builds. The HoT makes me feel more viable to the team as a support toon. Particularly like the higher numbers with Battle Presence.

For more solo play or dungeons, I still fall back on my PVT karma set.

I see a lotta folk sing Knights praises. I didn’t go that way for a “paladin”. I try to roll for group support or damage. Haven’t heard many complaints.

So. Should I go PVT and completely ignore Healing power altogether?
Should I be focusing more or Toughness/Armor?

I mean, There have been times were I literally have saved my team in FOTM from dying with my heals, or maybe we souldn’t have trouble in the first place if I was doing more DPS>=.

Though, I admittedly I hate the fact I can’t kill anything fast enough.
Whirl GS skill deals 3000-3500.

Most of your damage … coming from … retaliation.

Oh lord.

It’s that dumb “heal = support” mentality you have which is what makes so many PUG guardians atrocious, get yourself some berserker gear, scholar runes and try actually being useful.

Ever tank Old Tom’s poison whirl attack with retal on? Pretty fun to see how fast it health drops, though I need to pop every cd I have to say alive my self.