A potential good healer?

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

there are two traits that can turn the mesmer into a great support healer.

restorative mantras : heal when using a mantra

restorative illusions : heal when shattering illusions

mantra of pain has a one second cooldown! pair that with a three use trait and you have three pulses of heals every say 5 seconds + damage!

any thoughts? I will test this out in a pug group for a dungeon. in any case it will be fun.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

Mesmer is a medium good healer. But at the same time he sacrifices all abilities, since he’s constantly charging.

But remember that it’s “when you cast a mantra”, not “when you use a charge”.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

yah just found that out. between charging mantras you can cast your instant abilities as you are using charges.

I just 1v1ed another mesmer in WvW and it made him run away because he couldnt drop my health past 80% while I had him down to 40%. The amount of heal the traits give is great.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: frifox.5283

frifox.5283

Mantra healing is good combined with phantasm centric builds since your phantasms will still be applying dps pressure while you are charging/healing.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gizuko.5734

Gizuko.5734

But them interrupts… You’ll need godly LoS skills or stealth/stab to pull that out vs a good player.

If only protected mantras made them 1sec cast or granted you stab… 400 toughness doesn’t protect kitten, tbh

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

Please don’t run a heal spec in dungeons, it just makes you a waste of a player slot.

A bit like bearbow rangers, you basically 4-man a dungeon when you get one of those.

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Requiem.8769

Requiem.8769

But them interrupts… You’ll need godly LoS skills or stealth/stab to pull that out vs a good player.

If only protected mantras made them 1sec cast or granted you stab… 400 toughness doesn’t protect kitten, tbh

If you’re using mantras, I recommend bringing the mantra for stability as well.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

Please don’t run a heal spec in dungeons, it just makes you a waste of a player slot.

A bit like bearbow rangers, you basically 4-man a dungeon when you get one of those.

heal spec deals good raw damage. I dont think people would mind if their health bars were kept full. It will make the fight less stressful. Sure a full zerker team can run a dungeon fine, but you got to be on speed all the time to out dps your mobs.

dont tell me how to play

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

wrong skills? didn’t know there was such a thing. I thought gw2 was about how you use the skills that are on your skill bar. oh well. just dont take me with you in a group.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Chewablesleeptablet.3185

update: ran 4 dungeon runs , CoF path 2s and AC path 1 and 3 with pug group. no complaints because their health was full and my phantasms doing 4k crits in cof.

note: not cleric built. full celestial gear with ascended celestial trinkets. got to love that crit damage.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

That’s nice, my duelist does 10k on slave driver and my warden does 15k on him.

Your crit damage is irrelevant because your power is abysmal from using celestial gear.

Now imagine if you went full berserker and had your phantasms deal 2.5x more damage, you wouldn’t need to spam useless heals. Also, I really hope you slotted in feedback and signet of inspiration for the boss fights, they’re a lot more relevant than mantras.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azo.5860

Azo.5860

Azolina – Mesmer
“There Is No Shame In Not Knowing; the Shame Lies In Not Finding Out.”

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: matthen.5024

matthen.5024

I don’t think that this type of spec is all that bad. Two caveats:

1. If you run mantra healing, don’t play like a healbot. Even with MoP on short CD, there are often better things that you can be doing with your time. Charge mantras when it makes sense given the run of play… also slot two non-mantra utility skills (per suggestions above). Above all: don’t’ forget to smash face.

2. Under the current game design, this is probably not the most effective build you could run. But if you play it well (and don’t be a turtle healer), you’ll contribute fine.

My 2cp.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

frifox.5283

Your crit damage is irrelevant because your power is abysmal from using celestial gear.

Now imagine if you went full berserker and had your phantasms deal 2.5x more damage, you wouldn’t need to spam useless heals

On my 0/20/0/25/25 full zerker build I heal for about 1k/sec. Good enough if I end up with not-so-pro runners.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

Or you could not use mantras and actually be useful.

Also, please enlighten us all on how 1k heals are going to save you from, well, pretty much anything?

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

frifox.5283

11k health thieves/eles who are getting slowly eaten by Alpha’s burns. Also, zerks who are running scholar runs and are unable to keep 90%+ health at all times. Also, I don’t continuously spam mantra heals. I heal only when I see it fit. If it’s not needed, I slot in Focus cd/reflect trait instead of mantra heal.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

Phantasmal Disenchanter/Null Field/Phantasmal Warden + Temporal Curtain.

The answer to any PvE situation is always “more DPS”. If the thief/ele is getting killed by burns (I’d say alpha p1 is the only one that really “challenges” zerks, but if you’re all stacked in melee like you should, you just res) then just res them up. It’s even better if you have a guardian to give blocks.

An example today of this actually, is against the champion risen giant north of meddler’s waypoint in cursed shore. I wasn’t able to solo this before because the grubs would get me low. So rather than using force/accuracy and force (axe/mace + GS, this is my warrior) I went with force/undead slaying and undead slaying (axe/sword + GS), so on my axe/sword I had an extra 10%+ damage and on my GS I had 5%+ extra damage. Then I used the precision signet (about a 4% DPS increase), undead slaying potion (10%+ damage) and food giving 100+ precision and 10%+ crit damage. So altogether that was something like 30%+ ish extra damage I was dealing. This time I was able to kill the grubs fast and then focus the giant more so it died, no damage mitigation was needed from heals/endure pain/whatever besides healing signet.

Anyway … more DPS > heals.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jedge.3619

Jedge.3619

People take mesmers in dungeons for ther utility skills, not for a useless heal bot with junk abilities attached to their mantras.

You say I shouldn’t ask you how to play, but then in the last line of your opening post you wrote “any thoughts” and so I’m giving you my thoughts, which are that you are using the wrong skills, traiting badly and will be a dead weight.

Please don’t be that 99% of pugs, be the 1% of people who build their class properly and play properly.

The time it takes to charge mantras and for healing to go off – There’s other classes that can provide better support then a Mesmer can. With the next update they’re going to possibly change mantras anyway.

“We looked at Mantras, and just didn’t feel they were quite strong enough to do this, so we made some improvements.”

Off topic – I do enjoy reading your posts.

What a Churlundalo

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

frifox.5283

It’s even better if you have a guardian to give blocks..

My somewhat casual runs with friends utilize only war/ele’s, even for Arah.

For alpha I do use nullfield, but his fire burns stack much more often that the nullfield CD. Also, he does damage in addition to the burn so even if I cleanse burn the initial damage can still hurt if not healed. Also, I hate people going down. I’d much rather slow down my dps (not my phantasms dps) and help out the party than let one go down and then interrupt whole party dps for the rez.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

Do you use disenchanter and warden over a temporal curtain? Do your warriors not take shake it off? Do eles not have condition cleansing? Another thing as well (which I’m personally still training myself to do, being able to just spam DPS so long has made me lazy) is that you can dodge alpha’s burning if you have quick reflexes, the only real problematic attack is the teeth which can’t even be blocked and have a very poor tell.

Also, after pulling alpha to a wall, just get your eles to drop fiery greatswords and use untargeted fiery rush in to the wall. Like I said, the answer is always more DPS.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

frifox.5283

No shake it off, just [Signet of Fury][For Great Justice][Banner/On My Mark]. Ele can cleanse but with my dps build that usually means dropping the LH or FGS. No disenchanter, I prefer to keep up 3 dps phantasms unless it’s absolutely necessary. I did try finishing iDuelists/iWardens with the curtain and the condi cleanses were not as predictable as I’d hoped. That was 6+ months ago. Maybe now it’s easier/more reliable to clear condi’s that way.

I actually keep 100% health throughout all Alpha fights with no problem. I do dodge fire bursts and use Blurred Frenzy for the spike AoE’s / directional cone attacks. Heck, most of the time I time my frenzy to evade both the earth spike and the following fire/cone burst which makes the Alpha encounter a breeze. Now, even though I can pull that off with eyes closed it doesn’t mean others can. Which is the main reason I occasionally resort to the mantra party heals, it’s for their benefit not mine.

(edited by frifox.5283)

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

If you have two warriors they can take discipline and strength each, then go FGJ and shake it off. Conditions only have half duration on bosses so it’s generally not worth taking (axe 2 has stupid short cooldown for vuln stacking) on my mark. If there’s a third warrior they could take signet of might in the banner slot, so:

warrior 1 – FGJ/disc banner/fury signet
warrior 2 – FGJ/str banner/fury signet
warrior 3 – FGJ/might signet/fury signet

But again, if burning is a problem, they can swap fury signet for shake it off, and war 3 can swap might signet for shake it off.

You say you prefer to keep up 3 DPS phantasms, but if faceplanting party members is a problem, then you’re only compromising your team’s whole DPS. For example, there was a recent thread where somebody tested using three sword clones on the boon golem and they felt that cleared boons better than just the usual disenchanter/null field. Sure, they could have had triple duelists up, but the -33% damage reduction from protection is worth mitigating even if it means you have to compromise your own DPS.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

frifox.5283

That was me – vid 1, vid 2. Now I use 3x disenchanters and then use feedback/curtain to protect them from golem’s projectiles if he decides to go for one of them. If I fail to protect them, by that time I probably bought myself enough time for to summon a replacement.

Also, I usually don’t rely on others to keep the party alive. I’m probably the only one that gives enough kittens to bother with that. Which is why I end up swapping traits/skills/weapons and playstyles to adapt so often.

(edited by frifox.5283)

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: AndresR.4532

AndresR.4532

there are two traits that can turn the mesmer into a great support healer.

restorative mantras : heal when using a mantra

restorative illusions : heal when shattering illusions

mantra of pain has a one second cooldown! pair that with a three use trait and you have three pulses of heals every say 5 seconds + damage!

any thoughts? I will test this out in a pug group for a dungeon. in any case it will be fun.

U get the heal when the mantra charged the first time, no each time u use it

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xavi.6591

Xavi.6591

A general Phantasm build with points in the Invigoration tree will allow your phantasms to aoe heal.

Fantasme Bloodwen [R.I.P. Mesmer] | Andi Runi [Warrior] | Bonedoggle [Necro] | Zooerasty [Ranger]
Angry Intent [AI] | Yak’s Bend |

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Azo.5860

would u go healing power for effective regeneration.. ? or let ele do for that?

Azolina – Mesmer

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xyonon.3987

Xyonon.3987

Hell no Just go full Zerk as colesy says! It makes no sense to go for a better heal you wouldn’t require if the target dies faster! T_T
Every Class got their AoE heals, and together they’re enough. Most of the heals done are anyway from Ele, Engi and probably Guard (never played him, but I guess so).

Healing mantras will be ok, IF you still deal the same amount of dmg. Also, I guess phantasms heal more than your mantras ever will…

Ziggs Ironeye – Engineer | Madame Le Blanc – Mesmer | Mentor (PvE) | EU
“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!
Just pm me for my advice! Always eager to help!”

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: theory.3580

theory.3580

You say I shouldn’t ask you how to play, but then in the last line of your opening post you wrote “any thoughts” and so I’m giving you my thoughts, which are that you are using the wrong skills, traiting badly and will be a dead weight.

This.

Healers aren’t sought after in this game. The damage you take is avoidable, and everyone has a powerful personal heal if they screw up.

Bringing a healer in a group in this game is like bringing a clunky old landline-style phone with you on vacation, when everyone else, yourself included, is already bringing their cellphone and their chargers. Your big old phone is unnecessary, silly, and taking up space that you could pack more vacation stuff, and if you take time rearranging the furniture to access the phone jack, your vacation group is going to become impatient. They want to go to the beach, not prepare for a scenario that is literally never going to be relevant.

Similarly, people want you to DPS, not waste time overhealing them when they already have their own heals to use in the rare event that they ignore an obvious wind-up attack and forget to dodge.

Paldirac / Frajad @ Gates of Madness
Primacy @ Zuluhed (WoW, retired resto shaman)
Theory @ Azphel (Aion, retired control spiritmaster)

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Spurnshadow.3678

Spurnshadow.3678

Mesmers have always been good at healing. Maybe the best in the game. Sorry you didn’t know that before.

With 0 healing power, we can out-heal guardians, elementalists, and warriors. If you didn’t know the build, I’m not gonna tell you, but it’s been there since day 1.

Blackgate Native. It takes tremendous strength and skill to pull a lever.

(edited by Spurnshadow.3678)

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bunnehboo.6025

Bunnehboo.6025

People take mesmers in dungeons for ther utility skills, not for a useless heal bot with junk abilities attached to their mantras.

Please don’t be that 99% of pugs, be the 1% of people who build their class properly and play properly.

You say this but they can easily switch one matra for any skill they need. Like you said mesmer are brought for ulitily because honestly compared to a firey Greatsword of an Ele or a warriors 100blades our damage is easily replaceable. And honestly there are very few elitist parties on LFG that require you to be a certain build so if a build works for you and you like being a support go for it i say. If you dont like it make your own party with your own rules.

Honestly in hi level fractal and small group pvp i’d love to have a healer class.

~Caedas~

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Azo.5860

vs dummies is ok.. how about the apm, etc.. u dont play probably in wvw.. in organized groups..? prove its effectiveness.. vs cc conditions.. %… check my treads.. i ve some details with it.. vs arrow craft ok where has no cc.. how about the others.. in major.. or whats good meaning?

Azolina – Mesmer

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

You say this but they can easily switch one matra for any skill they need. Like you said mesmer are brought for ulitily because honestly compared to a firey Greatsword of an Ele or a warriors 100blades our damage is easily replaceable. And honestly there are very few elitist parties on LFG that require you to be a certain build so if a build works for you and you like being a support go for it i say. If you dont like it make your own party with your own rules.

Honestly in hi level fractal and small group pvp i’d love to have a healer class.

Hypothetical situation. You go in to a boss fight which involves projectiles and the boss utilises boons.

Mesmer slots in feedback, null field and signet of inspiration.

The only time you will use a mantra is if there’s pretty much no utility skills required, in which case your group would be better off not even having a mesmer in that situation.

The only reason “elitist” groups don’t ask for builds is because they’re normally scrubs who don’t understand either their own or other class builds. Builds are extremely important for your efficiency so if I was really hellbent on getting a proper group for a dungeon, I’d do a build and gear check and even if someone is full zerk ascended, if they were some dumb guard with a 0/0/30/30/10 build I’d tell them to retrait or get out.

You’re a fool if you would want a healer class in high level fractals, you can run Fractal 79 with zerkers, why does a “healer” matter when mobs will just melt you?

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

An example fight where Restorative Mantras is very useful:

Arah P1 Champion Crystalline Entity battle (second boss fight).

While standing in the Green Light, you can easily rack yourself up to 20 stacks without dropping below 75% health by spamming Mantra of Pain and Mantra of Recovery. Additionally, because you have over 10 stacks of Green Light, your damage gets significantly boosted, allowing your Mantra of Pain to deal 20k+ damage. You also heal your allies in case they don’t understand how the fight works or their heal is down.

Of course, your dps is definitely lower than if you were to just put on a sword and autoattack, but you don’t have to get out of the Green Light to recover and you will, in the end, allow your party to get more full Green Light damage off than if you were to just run a sword. (I don’t mention Greatsword because Phantasms don’t get Green Light bonus damage, so raw damage is what will defeat the entities faster.)

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

You know, giving a build healing potential doesnt make it a full healer with 0 dps >_>.

Mesmer is a specialist profession, sure. You have to focus your build to be effective, but you can focus on several thongs at once.

Colesy is just too narrow minded to step outside his “dps speedrun” world to see it. Just go away, you contribute nothing to this forum.

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

on my guild runs our mesmer often runs 2-3 mantras. it’s really up to party comp. our mesmers rarely run signet because we use eles+guardian combo to output strong and long-lasting might stacks, so we just bring mantras to get the pretty strong 4% boost from 30 duelling.

that said colesy’s posts are fairly accurate (even if his words are harsh) and most utilities do serve the party better than mantras. I am just stating how team compositions in organised groups can change the gameplay of the various classes, along with specific tactics (e.g. we use nullfield on golem boss in COE but not feedback because we don’t need the reflection).

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

on my guild runs our mesmer often runs 2-3 mantras. it’s really up to party comp. our mesmers rarely run signet because we use eles+guardian combo to output strong and long-lasting might stacks, so we just bring mantras to get the pretty strong 4% boost from 30 duelling.

that said colesy’s posts are fairly accurate (even if his words are harsh) and most utilities do serve the party better than mantras. I am just stating how team compositions in organised groups can change the gameplay of the various classes, along with specific tactics (e.g. we use nullfield on golem boss in COE but not feedback because we don’t need the reflection).

Arguably, Disenchanter is better, given you have more options for running Mantras (or other utilities) as it has a better boon-rip uptime than Null Field. Unless you’re killing the boss before you can get a second Disenchanter up, then Null Field is potentially worse.

Additionally, the 4% damage boost from having Mantra’s charged (up to +16% for having 4 Mantra’s ready) doesn’t actually affect Mesmers that much. This trait falls into the cesspit of Mesmers with +X% damage boost. It’s only effective when using something like a Greatsword or a Shatter build (Greatsword specifically for it’s high direct damage output. You can also include a normal Sword, and even a Scepter, to some degree, but they don’t offer as much damage on as low Cooldowns.) This is because +X% boosts do not affect Illusions or conditions. A Mesmer’s only source of direct damage is through auto-attacks, shatters, Mantra of Pain, reflects, traits (such as deal damage when interrupting), and other weapon skills (GS235, Sword24, Scepter23, Torch4, Pistol5, Staff5, Spear5, Trident25).

The actual direct damage access that Mesmers have is very, very low compared to other professions and most [non-shatter] builds don’t utilize them to the point of making +X% boosts worthwhile.

Also, in regards to most of what colesy is saying:
He tends to run in dedicated groups which have different playstyles than running PUG, which is what the forum question threads tend to cater towards. Another reason why is that a full damage build will not hit 15kWarden without the assistance of other party members, additionally, the damage output you, as a Mesmer, are going to drop on the Slave Driver is going to be very negligible considering the rest of the party is geared, traited, and playing towards high DPS. (Keeping in mind that the party is at 25 stacks of might + Fury and every banner dropped while the Slave Driver has 25 Vulnerability [or near, in most cases] for colesy’s expected dps output.) The damage a Mesmer will do in this fight (and the rest of the dungeon, for that matter) is not considered at all. A Mesmer’s duty in CoF P1 is to provide Reflects, provide a Portal at Boulders, provide boons (via SoI), and provide Time Warp. The additional DPS of a Mesmer will not make or break the speedrun group (Warriors will be able to hit 2-3x a Warden in about the same time it takes to cast the Warden. In addition to that, they also have access to more than one skill that deals high DPS like that. A typical "full speed CoF P1 party will have GS+A/A for 100b, Evisc, Dual Strike, Whirling Axe, Cyclone Axe.)

There is really no point in talking about super speedrun dedicated groups on the forums, though, as they are a very niche type of play for very specific and narrow purposes.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

You know, giving a build healing potential doesnt make it a full healer with 0 dps >_>.

It does however mean using dumb traits to compromise your own DPS because you can’t get the idea of “I want to be a healer” out of your head when it doesn’t exist in this game outside of repeatedly blasting a water field.

Colesy is just too narrow minded to step outside his “dps speedrun” world to see it. Just go away, you contribute nothing to this forum.

I contribute nothing besides an entire phantasm guide and have swayed a number of opinions on here? Is that “nothing”. What contributes nothing are bads trying to insult me because I infringe on their selfish play how I want viewpoint.

He tends to run in dedicated groups which have different playstyles than running PUG,

Rarely. I PUG almost all of the time.

Another reason why is that a full damage build will not hit 15kWarden without the assistance of other party members, additionally, the damage output you, as a Mesmer, are going to drop on the Slave Driver is going to be very negligible considering the rest of the party is geared, traited, and playing towards high DPS. (Keeping in mind that the party is at 25 stacks of might + Fury and every banner dropped while the Slave Driver has 25 Vulnerability [or near, in most cases] for colesy’s expected dps output.)

Screen cap of me in a PUG:

https://dviw3bl0enbyw.cloudfront.net/uploads/forum_attachment/file/111581/gw012.jpg

The last hit would bring the damage to 40-ish k, that’s over 10k DPS is a pug which is around the calculated figures. Join an organise group and it goes up more. Please don’t give “well that’s hundred blades” either, axe auto is only 2% weaker, HB just makes a big number.

A typical "full speed CoF P1 party will have GS+A/A for 100b, Evisc, Dual Strike, Whirling Axe, Cyclone Axe.)

Off-hand axe is terrible an eviscerate makes you lose adrenaline bonuses.

There is really no point in talking about super speedrun dedicated groups on the forums, though, as they are a very niche type of play for very specific and narrow purposes.

And yet I can hit 10k DPS in a random pug. You don’t need a super speedrun dedicated group at all, you just need a group that isn’t awful.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: guanlongwucaii.3162

guanlongwucaii.3162

the % damage trait is crucial for feedback damage. otherwise I agree that it isn’t amazing but the mantras themselves are pretty good now and for my purposes serve our groups just fine.

we are definitely killing the golem boss faster than that.

by the way, the fastest COF speedrun only had 1 warrior for banners. it’s widely accepted that other classes do more damage than the warrior, and warriors are only popular in pugs because it’s hard to screw up as a warrior. even then, nobody in their right mind runs offhand axe because it’s the probably the worst offhand that the warrior can get.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

Meh, this is the Mesmer forums, I don’t know why I’m expected to know where the current meta on speedruns is. My experience in pug groups, currently, is that you expect everyone to flop around like a fish on land and hopefully the boss will die in a reasonable amount of time.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bunnehboo.6025

Bunnehboo.6025

Ok lets be honest here…

Mesmers are put in dungeon parties for their utilities. Feedback reflects and Time Warp. Our 10-15k DPS from our Wardens/duelist is nothing compared to a warrior’s 40k+ hundred blades. So honestly a mesmer can run any build as long as their able to put up a feedback or timewarp.

~Caedas~

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

You do realise that over a 3.5s channel, 40k damage is 11,428DPS?

Your post is the biggest giant pile of fail I’ve seen in a while, all classes are brought in to dungeons for their utilities, you take a guardian for defensive support through projectile reflect, aegis and protection. Then they have CC on binding blade and hammer and if you go GS/Sw+F you can put up 12 stacks of vuln from f1 virtue, sword 2, focus 4 and GS 3. Purging flames is also a fire field for might stacking.

Warriors are for offensive support, banner of str and discipline for power/prec/crit bonuses, FGJ for might + fury, axe 2, mace 4 for vuln stacking, and an added plus is they have a fire field in longbow, and have a ton of blast finishers.

Mesmers are more in between, they have defensive support from projectile reflection but then signet of inspiration tends to be used offensively to increase might stacks and double fury duration. Then they have potent boon stripping in utilities and sword autoattack. Beyond that … don’t expect to be carried, actually do some damage. Those are just the main classes but I could do summaries for most classes besides necros which are just lacking in utility, but in addition to utility, all classes should be doing their share of damage.

For the record, groups up to date rarely even take mesmers because guardians can reflect, you can stack might and fury with fire fields and blasts + whatever fury sources) and the DPS drop from taking a mesmer (since hitting their high numbers involves sustained damage, not burst which is what most fights are) isn’t really made up enough by time warp which is on a 210s cooldown anyway.

tl;dr DPS doesn’t mean what you think it means, and all classes are taken for utility so don’t be lazy and actually do damage too by building appropriately.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

This is one of those thread where it seems like colesy vs the rest. Well this time I’m sitting next to colesy cuz everything he said is definitly right and makes sence. I just read the whole thread and the reasons for a “healing mesmer” are just laughtable compared to a zerker. Also those numbers … “40k hundred blades so stronk” … please … stop the “wanna be” and become more efficient.

“Mentoring engineers / mesmers and showing you what you can do with your fantastic class!

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Alissah.9281

Alissah.9281

Places to use mantra healing:

• Ice fractal when you’re running around the first campfire.
  • Ice fractal where the final boss ports up and you cant attack it
  • Jade Maw to keep everyone full hp after the agony hits
  • Guild rush to heal people who are rushing
  • Maybe grawl fractal boss, to keep everyone full hp just before the elementals spawn (so they can preserve their own heal vs elementals).
  • Mossman when he stealths and youre kiting untill he comes out.
  • cliffside fractal when the boss is stunned and youre waiting for him to recover
  • etc

I like mantra healing. Especially because you dont need healing power to make it effective (it heals like 2700 with 300, and only 3000 with like 1500). In something like the grawl fractal, you can just let 3 phantasms dps while you go sword/focus sword/pistol, or maybe sword. I think the pistol will stay alive better.

New Rainbow Guild – An open-minded guild exclusively for Transgender people!
Warning: link may contain traces of awesome.
Lyssa’s Grimoire – a guide every Mesmer should read.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Xyonon.3987

Alissah, my toughts on your post:

• Running around campfire, heal makes sense
  • The final boss isn’t really a harm. when he ports up, everyone will be able to heal themselves to full health again by their own healing skill.
  • I can change traits if i do thinks like a guild rush. to keep it in dungeons because you need it at guild rushes just makes you look too lazy to retrait for 3.5 silver.
  • Grawl fractale? 100% no go. What you need there is Reflection on heal, feedback, nullfield and mimic or mantra with cleanse. But for one mantra to trait for a heal – definitly no → better glamour cdr, focus reflection and medicfeedback / longer lasting glamour skills
  • Mossman is the same as the ice dude – at this time everyone can heal themselves. Also against mossman you don’t really want to stack if he’s stealth
  • I guess your heal will be less than the kanthors damage anyway. Better hurry killing them instead of “healing” your allies.

In general you also got the main problem of beeing able to react.

You have to choose to keep your mantras up for removing conditions, granting stability etc OR you charge them for heal. It’s just unpracticle how the heal works.

It would be much better if it just heals 50% but on mantra use.

Also if you trait more agressive the enemy dies faster there fore deals less damage → less to heal.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: BlackDevil.9268

BlackDevil.9268

Why are you guys even discussing PvE dungeon crap? You can run naked in that kitten and still beat the system.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

Then how about you post a video of yourself in a naked runthrough? You know, preferably something that isn’t faceroll like COF/SE p1, try something like Arah or CM.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

The criticsms are basically right.
Restorative Mantras is far from effective (in terms of party play) but it’s also far from useless (in terms of survival and support).

Personally, I always have this trait active. I don’t recall any situation I turn it off (I did once when I was testing 100% reflection tanker on asura fractals endboss). But I don’t use it to be the team’s uber healer. I use it mainly for survival purposes and tiny support if some players are lacking, or to heal melee phants like pWarden or pDefender. And yes, I did trade off some damage/ utility for it. I rarely get any glamour traits since I prefer my survival over a bit faster feedback.

@Grawl fractal
That’s another situation I’d never trade restorative mantras off. I got 30 Inspiration, use Feedback on ress, restorative mantras and focus trait here. Due to the loss of “clean on heal” I need to use a respective food for the boss.
I use this setup because I try to get the aggro from the boss and basically tank it alone. The moving around is a pain (and really unnecessary), which prevents easy TC reflection. Feedback needs to be preserved for the 25% phase, so I’m basically off constant healing, throwing phants out and sometimes reviving allies while they deal the damage.
And yes, due to that trade (+ MoP) I almost feel like a monster in survival.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

BlackDevil.9268

Then how about you post a video of yourself in a naked runthrough? You know, preferably something that isn’t faceroll like COF/SE p1, try something like Arah or CM.

Lol, like if arah is hard. Spam that 1 1 1 , ‘’Oh a projectile…DODGE’’, 111. Tower bosses are even harder than lupicus.

And no, I wont waste my time running a 1h dungeon to approve that pve in this game requires no skill.

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

colesy.8490

1hr? ahahahahaha

You do realise you can clear arah p1/2/3 in like 20 minutes each right? You’d know that if it was as easy as you said it was.

Seems to me like you’re just one of the many WvW’ers who think PvE dungeons are easy but never does anything besides COF/SE p1. Well yeah, if WvW consisted purely of killing tower lords then it would just be dumb PvD, but we all know that actual fights take place on there, just how there is easy PvE content and challenging PvE content.

How is 111-dodge (which by the way rarely happens) any more challenging than going up to a pug zerg and just rolling over it with a pain train anyway? How is it any less skill intensive than garri/SM lagfests where you can’t even get heal off and you’re just pressing 1 because it’s (literally) all you can do?

A potential good healer?

in Mesmer

BlackDevil.9268

1hr? ahahahahaha

You do realise you can clear arah p1/2/3 in like 20 minutes each right? You’d know that if it was as easy as you said it was.

Seems to me like you’re just one of the many WvW’ers who think PvE dungeons are easy but never does anything besides COF/SE p1. Well yeah, if WvW consisted purely of killing tower lords then it would just be dumb PvD, but we all know that actual fights take place on there, just how there is easy PvE content and challenging PvE content.

How is 111-dodge (which by the way rarely happens) any more challenging than going up to a pug zerg and just rolling over it with a pain train anyway? How is it any less skill intensive than garri/SM lagfests where you can’t even get heal off and you’re just pressing 1 because it’s (literally) all you can do?

You wanted me to run it naked no? Well, I guess I’m quite close to 1hour if you do it naked.
Or wait, isnt 3×20min = 1h?
Or wait, isnt p4 about 45mins?
Lot’s of ways you diss yourself.

Anyway, if you would even know what WvW was and what guilds were there, you would probably speak on another tone. 1 Fight of 25vs 80 IRON/RAGE/NuKe without the idiotic server lag lately, required more skill than you ever needed in whole PvE.

Or maybe a bit smaller scale since you think raids don’t require skill:
Winning 1v3’s against equal/better geared people every day. Those are the people who got stuck in pve too long and have no idea what to do when fighting 1 guy with 2 mates on his side.