Agitate for change today, NO WAY, NO SHIELD!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

HYPE TRAIN!

Uhh. Hype for…what? Some nebulous thing that Jon Peters claims will be as good as having another mainhand weapon?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nike.2631

Nike.2631

The real tragedy of all this is the way people obsess over the new weapon, like its the only thing going on with specializations.

Oh well, its on ArenaNet to clear that up. But when people see what all makes up a specialization, the difference of 2-3 weapon skills between some professions is gonna seem pretty trivial.

“You keep saying ‘its unfair.’
I wonder what your basis for comparison is…”
- Jareth, King of Goblins.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Caelus.7139

Caelus.7139

Mesmers from inception: Hey ArenaNet, we would really love to have Main hand Pistol.

ArenaNet: Okay, that’s what you want? Here’s an offhand shield.

+1 Sums up the whole dev-to-mesmers communication.

GW2 has taught me that being a Mesmer is about..
..being a cynical forecaster.
..being a doom-monger….and being a hopeless jinxer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Mesmers from inception: Hey ArenaNet, we would really love to have Main hand Pistol.

ArenaNet: Okay, that’s what you want? Here’s an offhand shield.

+1 Sums up the whole dev-to-mesmers communication.

It’s not a mesmer thing.

Remember that “big” patch Peters hyped up for rangers back then? Turned out to be entirely about aquatic skills.

It’s just how they develop. The one MMO without a public test realm/server to test changes out before they happen with player feedback in mind. It’s pretty clear player feedback is very low on the priority list when they make balance changes.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zarathustra.1458

Zarathustra.1458

You know, nothing really is worth as much as three main hand skills. Utilities always have 20-30s cooldowns, profession mechanics always have long cooldowns, and our mechanics have always been lackluster. So what could really make up for a new auto-attack doing power ranged damage without locking us into a GS?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

When hearing that we get something which Jon Peters calls as good as the three skills we’d get with a mainhand or a 2handed weapon I guess he talks about a bunch of skills that are as good as scepter AA, and as “fixed” as iLeap…

But since we there was a dev asked about shield phantasms and just smirked saying that he cannot thay any more I’d really hype a rework regarding phantasms. Nothing confirmed ofc. //sorryfor typos i’mi’m on my phone.

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

You know, nothing really is worth as much as three main hand skills. Utilities always have 20-30s cooldowns, profession mechanics always have long cooldowns, and our mechanics have always been lackluster. So what could really make up for a new auto-attack doing power ranged damage without locking us into a GS?

Uhmm.. Mind wrack is 15 seconds? Shatter is lackluster? Whattttt?

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Mesmer

Posted by: Indrea.7803

Indrea.7803

I like the idea of a shield for Mesmers, but I don’t understand why we will get only that: let’s hope at least they’ll change deeply mesmer’s mechanic removing clones and phantasms… but it’s an uthopy.

in Mesmer

Posted by: fluxit.8247

fluxit.8247

Lets wait and see what they come up with before we cry wolf. Arent you at all curious?

in Mesmer

Zenith.7301

In PvE, shatters are total kitten. In large scale WvW, shatters are total kitten (the clones don’t even live long enough to make it to the target).

Cry of Frustration is total kitten everywhere.

Shatters are the one mechanic where you sacrifice all your damage generating sources (including phantasms) in order to have survivability or CC. A warrior sacrifices little by comparison when he empties 3 bar of adrenaline and crits someone for 12k+. Warrior adrenaline bars don’t die to aoe on the ground. Warrior adrenaline skills aren’t unable to hit certain objects because they have no clear pathing skills.

And when the warrior mace burst skill, which is a longer duration diversion that is a stun is used, it stuns immediately, it doesn’t wait for some kittened, fragile AI to walk to a target and hope the interrupt goes off in time.

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Mind wrack has a nice cooldown, but the others are far longer of course.

It’s absolutely a fair statement to say that shatter is lackluster though. 3/4 shatters are ignored 99% of the time by pretty much every PvE build, and 2/4 are ignored 99% of the time by a very large subset of available builds. Only actual dedicated shatter builds (and/or lockdown builds that revolve around shatter) actually use our profession mechanic fully. If that’s not the definition of lackluster, I’m not sure what is.

in Mesmer

Zarathustra.1458

By mechanics I was talking about the clone/phantasm/shatter system and its mutual byplay. Yes any one part can be brilliant if we build for it, but most of these systems directly make the other worse. To have clones we sacrifice phants, to use phants we have to reduce clone gen, to use shatter we give up everything else.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aomine.5012

Aomine.5012

When you find out that shield actually gives mesmer a full block on a short cool down, I think most pvp people will have a change of opinion right after lol.
If mesmer’s shield turn out to be useful, it is acually a plus because there’re so many well-designed shield out there, just that not many classes benefit from the shield. (So far probably only engi will take shield)

in Mesmer

Posted by: TyPin.9860

TyPin.9860

I like Mesmer shield, because in GW1 I was sometimes goofing around with an Illusionary Weaponry build in random arena. I used a sword and shield for this and it was quite some fun at times^^

I fear though that we will get only shield. This would mean, we get only 2 new weapon skills. However, maybe they’ll do something like thief sword: Skill #3 changes, when you use different off hand weapons. Maybe they could do smth similar when using offhand shield and change skill #3 depending on the used main hand (so basically shield changes #3 one hand weapon skills when equiped). That would be kinda cool and maybe we get smth ultra awesome in place of buggy iLeap.

[ROSE] – Fissure of Woe
Chronomancy works, I am proof of it. Now stop asking me questions. Time must be preserved!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Windwalker.7421

Windwalker.7421

I don’t mind the idea of a shield for Mesmers, but I do mind a lot if we don’t get some kinda compensation elsewhere to make up for the fact that other professions get a new MH or 2H weapon, and associated skills. It will probably make for a new play-style for Mesmers, and that part I welcome, especially if it turns out —you know-- to be actually viable and all.

As someone said, the OH skills are only 2 and tend to be on long CDs, but that could be exactly how you balance it…make the 2 Mesmer shield abilities both powerful/useful and put’em on a significantly shorter CD.

It really all depends on what else changes along with this. I’m skeptical to say the least, and on the surface it certainly seems lackluster to get an OH Shield, when every one else who generally already is doing better then us, is getting MH and 2H weapons.

Again though, there is no reason why it can’t work out to be balanced overall depending on what else the patch brings.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

HYPE TRAIN!

Uhh. Hype for…what? Some nebulous thing that Jon Peters claims will be as good as having another mainhand weapon?

I’m hype, because we’re getting a new weapon that has a certain novelty about it, a new specialization that I’m looking forward to and a new pvp map that I’m VERY excited about! Yes, I would have much rather gotten a MH pistol, but I’ve already complained about that more than once, so why keep complaining? Yes, when you compare what we’re getting next to other classes, we might be getting a raw deal. That all being said, I’m not bogged down with pessimism like the majority of gw2 players, and I’m very happy with my gaming experience. I’m not saying people don’t have a reason to be pessimistic, but there’s no need to bring others down to your level just because you can. It’s unbecoming.

Now, I’m just more concerned about what shield skins I should buy before HoT.

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

What people are forgetting is that even if the shield skills are good (which is highly doubtful) then we are still stuck with what weapon to use it with. Scepter will still be bad outside of its little niche leaving us with just sword. So what happens if we want to use another one of our off hands as well? Go S/Sh S/x? The diversity of the class!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rome.7124

Rome.7124

“Every profession is indeed only getting one new weapon. However, Jon Peters teased that classes getting an offhand would get something “just as good” as the extra three skills and that he couldn’t say more. I suspect that the specialization might unlock three new utility skills, but that’s my speculation." – Nefara
Taken from here

patch after patch, Mesmers got mostly nerfs and all of a sudden, we are to believe what was said is true? Nah, I will believe it when it happens, and frankly, it more like less weapon skills = less balance issue = less time spend on this class. Anet has better classes t attend to.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

HYPE TRAIN!

I’m hype, because we’re getting a new weapon that has a certain novelty about it, a new specialization that I’m looking forward to and a new pvp map that I’m VERY excited about! Yes, I would have much rather gotten a MH pistol, but I’ve already complained about that more than once, so why keep complaining? Yes, when you compare what we’re getting next to other classes, we might be getting a raw deal. That all being said, I’m not bogged down with pessimism like the majority of gw2 players, and I’m very happy with my gaming experience. I’m not saying people don’t have a reason to be pessimistic, but there’s no need to bring others down to your level just because you can. It’s unbecoming.

Now, I’m just more concerned about what shield skins I should buy before HoT.

Mail some people are just more averse to being let down than others. But I’m right aboard this hype train with ya.

Now wonder what this could be, assuming its not like a mini pet…
Extra elite? 3 extra utilities? Shield skills change depending on main hand weapon? Not too worried about cooldowns. Hell, look at Chaos Storm/Armor/Magic Bullet/Temporal Curtain, all 25s or higher.

Look at all these threads with this optimism vs pessimism split. Its like a Mesmer civil war!

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

No need for a war! Mesmers unite!! People have a right to use #CryOfFrustration with no cool down. The devs have always given less than a kitten about Mesmer. There’s so much evidence for this claim that it’s not even a provocative statement to make, but don’t rain on my happy parade!

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Henrik.7560

Henrik.7560

kitten anet are dumb. Two main hand weps, and four off hand weps, now they add a fifth? Gg.
Another main hand or two hand we would be nice. Maybe a hammer with a phant that does guardian hammer #2 on foes.
A mace phant that stuns for 1s every 10s.

Arcane Bastion [AB]
Elementalist Mesmer Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in Mesmer

Caelus.7139

What people are forgetting is that even if the shield skills are good (which is highly doubtful) then we are still stuck with what weapon to use it with. Scepter will still be bad outside of its little niche leaving us with just sword. So what happens if we want to use another one of our off hands as well? Go S/Sh S/x? The diversity of the class!

This is a very good point.

in Mesmer

Zarathustra.1458

This a thousand times this!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

HYPE TRAIN!

Where do I get the ticket? :P

Look at all these threads with this optimism vs pessimism split. Its like a Mesmer civil war!

49% of me are extremly optimistic, 49% of me are pessimistic (almost as hard as pyro is :P ) and the last 2% are happy about pink butterflys.

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

This right here is the biggest problem. It’s not like we don’t already have great offhands. Focus is fantastic, pistol is fantastic, sword is fantastic, torch has a fantastic skill and a blooper…but doubled ranged sets are still extremely popular because our mainhands are just trash in so many situations. Shield could have the best and coolest skills in the game and a ton of people would still never touch it simply because you have to use a mainhand with it.

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

This right here is the biggest problem. It’s not like we don’t already have great offhands. Focus is fantastic, pistol is fantastic, sword is fantastic, torch has a fantastic skill and a blooper…but doubled ranged sets are still extremely popular because our mainhands are just trash in so many situations. Shield could have the best and coolest skills in the game and a ton of people would still never touch it simply because you have to use a mainhand with it.

Unless they revert the ileap nerf. =P

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jedge.3619

Jedge.3619

This post is absolutely correct. We needed more mainhand options. Not another off hand option that will still force our class to use sword.

Mainhand – Sword / scepter
Offhand – Sword / torch / focus / pistol

What a Churlundalo

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Sure, Chaos. They’ll revert the ileap nerf … just like Eles got the nerf on RtL removed. Or Glamour got put back to rights.

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Sure, Chaos. They’ll revert the ileap nerf … just like Eles got the nerf on RtL removed. Or Glamour got put back to rights.

/shakefist

The civil war is real

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

That would be a dream come true! Henceforth, why it most likely won’t happen.

in Mesmer

Zarathustra.1458

If we need to have a civil war just to ensure anet know there is an issue, then I am all for it. At the moment, I am not sure as to if I should bothering buying the expansion. It is unlikely to contribute anything decent to the class I main, and frankly, the only class that keeps me coming back…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Menaka.5092

Menaka.5092

Who said shield couldn’t be mainhand? We use GS as a ranged weapon, why cant shield be mainhand?

Well, there’s the teaser video showing mesmer using an offhand shield…

Maybe that was a left-handed mesmer!

I’ll sit here, waiting for them to introduce HAMMER mesmer…

in Mesmer

Zenith.7301

It’s still incredible they chose to give RtL such an obscene cooldown when my ranger can use swoop and monarch’s leap back to back in less than 12 second cycles. Or thief just using shadowstep+infiltration arrow goodbye. Or warrior out of all classes getting better escape as a heavy armor class, with stance immunities, the best heal in the game.

in Mesmer

Caelus.7139

What are the chances that anet gives us a shield phantasm that involves interrupting/dazing targets when it gets hit?

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

What are the chances that anet gives us a shield phantasm that involves interrupting/dazing targets when it gets hit?

Extremely unlikely. AI-based hard cc that can potentially be tripled in intensity is something that would be nigh-impossible to balance ever. It would either have to be awful or would end up being incredibly overpowered.

in Mesmer

Caelus.7139

Extremely unlikely. AI-based hard cc that can potentially be tripled in intensity is something that would be nigh-impossible to balance ever. It would either have to be awful or would end up being incredibly overpowered.

Yep..hard to argue with that….

in Mesmer

Zarathustra.1458

I want hard cc Give my chronomancer the ability to teleport my enemies away from me like the Rev downed state as a class ability on the F bar and maybe anet we can talk… Otherwise, mesmers it is time to man the picket lines!

’We shall over come.
We shall over come.
We shall over come, some day!"

in Mesmer

Zenith.7301

Just played my warrior in TA and I’m reminded of the vast difference…. downscaled to 56 and yet my 100b is doing 14k damage every 6.5 seconds, my axe autoattacks are critting for 4-6k.

Just looking at the tooltip, I don’t even understand how warrior axe auto chain can be allowed to be so much stronger than the other autoattacks in the game.

Then I look at my Thief’s auto chain and pistol whip, they’re just better versions of what the mesmer has, with a difference of almost 25-30% more damage per toltip, and they can chain pistol whip 3 times versus a mesmer, and on top of it it stuns.

But hey, I get to summon a phantasm that does 6k damage base at 80 every few seconds to a single target, with a 1 second cast time, which dies to aoe/cleave immediately or despawns upon mob death 3-4 seconds after it was summoned.

Then I look at vulnerability stacks. 10 stacks from warrior mace offhand, long duration, relatively short cooldown, on top of another 4 from the mainhand axe. A class that can upkeep 14 stacks of vulnerability not including the traits.

Ugh it makes me sick that a skill which channels for so much damage on a short 6.5 sec cd exists while our shatter does a shadow of its damage, takes more ramp up, and has a longer cd to boot.

And warrior isn’t even the top damage class. Thief, ele, and engi take the cake. Was in a fractal 50 with 2 engineers, mobs died before iWarden could even finish his channel.

(edited by Zenith.7301)

in Mesmer

Posted by: hardloop von edgehoven.8512

hardloop von edgehoven.8512

I wouldnt be very astonished too, if Mesmer gets a MAINHAND shield…Captain America heeeey…
Otherwise, its offhand and skill4 will be a block mechanic and skill5 will be a phantasm/clone (or maybe jsut the otherway round, just for sake of confusing the players) with defense mechanics and no damage at all.

scepter/shield…the new “stand around and block” mesmertank gameplay…worst nightmare tbh

just my cynical cents

in Mesmer

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

The only hope I’m holding onto now is that Shield alters our scepter/sword in some way – but its a very slim hope. We need a new mainhand, for PvP Mesmers are locked into GS atm because there is no other reliable power ranged option this means we can then choose Staff or Sw/X. Mesmer is the most “locked” class in the game – we REQUIRE so many options to be discounted for viability that an offhand does not cut it.

Assuming the Shatters get reworked I’m excited for that but I still feel without an new Mainhand we will not have the revolutionary change to our class we all hope for – engi gets a melee weapon kitten xD

On top of that Shield will almost certainly require a Phantasm summon (unless they are redoing all our weapons through Specialisation and a TRUCKLOAD of traits). So we end up with 1 Skill that changes our weaponset gameplay…

in Mesmer

Posted by: teh persun.6517

teh persun.6517

Hopefully Anet has the sense to include a 1h main hand weapon with the spec. Hopefully. If not, then everyone has the right to be rustled.

in Mesmer

Caelus.7139

Considering how much “feedback” Anet takes from here, there is little to no hope…

in Mesmer

Posted by: captainteemo.6537

captainteemo.6537

When you find out that shield actually gives mesmer a full block on a short cool down, I think most pvp people will have a change of opinion right after lol.
If mesmer’s shield turn out to be useful, it is acually a plus because there’re so many well-designed shield out there, just that not many classes benefit from the shield. (So far probably only engi will take shield)

Remember they actually had a clip of the mesmer using the shield like a bomb. (Think of Orianna Command : shock wave) which could be cool if it does decent damage, but we already have curtain (why is the reflect still so bad, doesn’t a curtain hang? Not rise from the ground?). They’re hinting that the other skill is a phantasm because that’s typically the way mesmer weapons work. I wonder what your expression will be when you find out we have another phantasmal defender.

Wooden potatoes also confirmed that some classes will only receive
an off hand.

in Mesmer

Posted by: DaShi.1368

DaShi.1368

I just hope mesmers get a new MH too…Necros, thieves and guardians are getting two handed weapons. That’s 5 skills vs 2 skills on shield.

Necros, thieves (heavily speculated), guardians, rangers, and engineers.

We don’t have any info on warriors or elementalists.

If there really is just one weapon, mesmers seem certain to be the worst off.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

Necros, thieves (heavily speculated), guardians, rangers, and engineers.

We don’t have any info on warriors or elementalists.

If there really is just one weapon, mesmers seem certain to be the worst off.

Doesn’t really matter what they give the elementalist as by virtue of that profession’s design they will have more added skills than anyone else will be getting.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

in Mesmer

Posted by: godmoney.6025

godmoney.6025

Have you guys considered that maybe mesmer will get shield as a main hand weapon only.

Thus you could use main hand shield with off hand pistol/sword, etc.

xD

La Fantoma – Aurora Glade

in Mesmer

Posted by: phokus.8934

phokus.8934

Have you guys considered that maybe mesmer will get shield as a main hand weapon only.

Thus you could use main hand shield with off hand pistol/sword, etc.

xD

No that’ll never happen.

I post from a phone so please excuse any references to ducks or any other auto corrections.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

Main hand shield just doesn’t make sense to be honest. Unless the auto attack animation was throwing phantasmal shields like Captain America, it’s difficult to imagine using a weapon that defines defense as a main hand. Pistol? Yes please. Right now only there’s only 2 MH pistol users in Thieves and Engineers, correct? Some weapons are to underrepresented. Someone else needs pistols, and it needs to be Mesmer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Clownmug.8357

Clownmug.8357

What a main hand shield might look like: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Conjure_Earth_Shield

in Mesmer

Posted by: Coulter.2315

Coulter.2315

The Mesmer in the footage is clearly holding the Shield in offhand. I think we can put this idea to bed.