Another patch = Another mesmer nerf !

in Mesmer

Posted by: moutzaheadin.4029

moutzaheadin.4029

Chaos Armor: This skill no longer automatically applies protection when activated. This buff now provides an equal chance to trigger regeneration, swiftness, or protection on hit with a 1-second internal recharge. The random condition applied now has a 1-second internal recharge per target. These changes apply to the Chaos Armor provided through combo finishers as well.

What’s next ?

NSP | Obsessïon | XOXO

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aylaine.1036

Aylaine.1036

How do we get a guaranteed way of getting protection now?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryuujin.8236

Ryuujin.8236

What’s the source on this?

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nretep.2564

Nretep.2564

All classes (except Warrior) got nerfed … don’t complain.

Making a skill triggering on being hit (not as block) was a design flaw to begin with. Mesmers live by not getting hit.

[ Edit ]
@Ryuujin
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/july-9-content-release-notes/

in Mesmer

Posted by: phtotrope.3761

phtotrope.3761

What’s the source on this?

Seriously? It’s called Chaos ARMOR for a reason. I can’t see any reason why this nerf was needed.

in Mesmer

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

How do we get a guaranteed way of getting protection now?

Prismatic Understanding (tied to Stealth skills CD) and the Protection on Regen (15 sec CD) i’d say.

Source, patch notes – they now comes here: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/july-9-content-release-notes/

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in Mesmer

Posted by: zexion.5842

zexion.5842

Wow this is horrible. That means at most you will get 2 procs per 5 sec choas armor….. and one of those procs will be useless kittening swiftness or regen.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

What. The. kitten!?

This is probably one of the biggest nerf I have seen to the Mesmer. Its a massive nerf to the staff and once again a nerf that hit traited abilities.

Fantastic when even patches suffer bad RNG.

in Mesmer

Ryuujin.8236

I guess you guys missed the memo. In PvE we’re only meant to play warriors now.

But seriously I’ve been a long time proponent of staves but this is just getting silly now. Since they fixed zerker I’m mostly running GS and changes like this don’t behoove me to <cough> diversify my builds

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Mesmer

phtotrope.3761

This change doesn’t only affect staff users. I’m always applying Chaos Armor while in melee with the Sword. Now I’ve got nothing. I guess they don’t want us full zerker anymore.

in Mesmer

Posted by: XRay.1920

XRay.1920

this is srsly going overboard….

in Mesmer

moutzaheadin.4029

Making a skill triggering on being hit (not as block) was a design flaw to begin with. Mesmers live by not getting hit.

[ Edit ]
@Ryuujin

All classes did not get a nerf, plz learn to read.

Chaos armor is just another rng skill that’s undependable now.

Pretty big nerf if you ask me. The only thing that might save this is. If you can now proc protection from the gutted combo chaos armor.

NSP | Obsessïon | XOXO

in Mesmer

zexion.5842

[ Edit ]
@Ryuujin

Mesmers live by not getting hit? No freaken duh so does every other class. Point is we actually do get hit, now staff isn’t even worth its defense. RNG aegis with RNG protection (at the chance you get horrible regen that doesn’t scale well or swiftness that doesn’t do anything for damage).

in Mesmer

Ryuujin.8236

This change doesn’t only affect staff users. I’m always applying Chaos Armor while in melee with the Sword. Now I’ve got nothing. I guess they don’t want us full zerker anymore.

Basic chaos armour doesn’t apply protection when activated. It’s referring to the fact staff 4 applies protection on activation.

However this does render staff #4 almost worthless as a skill, since we can proc chaos armour using virtually any of our weapons and comboing into an ethereal field. Staff 4 only belongs as a seperate ability because it gave on-demand protection.

The Ashwalker – Ranger
Garnished Toast

in Mesmer

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Chaos Armor is getting the same treatment that the Elementalist’s auras did a few patches ago, with the internal 1s cooldown. I just hope the Retaliation boon gets the same treatment someday.

I’m surprised, however, that they went back to making this skill completely random.

in Mesmer

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

The random nature of the mesmers skills is extremely frustrating to me. I couldn’t put my finger on why until Pyro pointed it out.

The problem is that there’s always at least one skill does does diddly squat. For example, if you get hit with chaos armor it’s either protection (good, reduces damage), regen (good, gains heath), or swiftness (what?). So 66% of the time the system provides some damage mitigating skill and the other 33% you’re kittened.

Chaos armor should grant protection, ageis, or regeneration (all defensive skills).

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

Ryuunjin hit the nail on the head. The nerf sucks, but I’ll adapt as always. The real shame is the fact that one of the weapon skills on arguably our most popular weapon is now just the same as the result of a combo usage.

As far as I know, no other profession has a skill only that applies an armor that can be gotten via combo field (I could be missing something though).

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

moutzaheadin.4029

Chaos Armor is just getting a similar treatment that the Elementalist’s auras did a few patches ago, with the internal 1s cooldown. I just hope the Retaliation boon gets the same treatment someday.

I’m surprised, however, that they went back to making this skill completely random.

Wrong… They removed protection on activation. Which is the only reason staff 4 was any good. No one used the skill for random on hit procs.

NSP | Obsessïon | XOXO

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

With 2100 toughness I did live by getting hit. I run a bunker staff/sword/focus build and always run into melee with the guild as one of the hardest characters to knock down. I sacrifice quite a bit for that but this nerf is basicly like Anet saying “Hey you’re not supposed to play bunker Mesmers! Stop it!”.

The only positive thing with this is that now maybe The Legend will drop in price.

in Mesmer

zexion.5842

The random nature of the mesmers skills is extremely frustrating to me. I couldn’t put my finger on why until Pyro pointed it out.

The problem is that there’s always at least one skill does does diddly squat. For example, if you get hit with chaos armor it’s either protection (good, reduces damage), regen (good, gains heath), or swiftness (what?). So 66% of the time the system provides some damage mitigating skill and the other 33% you’re kittened.

Chaos armor should grant protection, ageis, or regeneration (all defensive skills).

Regen via chaos armor doesn’t even heal past 165 without healing power (which no mesmer in their right mind will take) so it’s 66% of the time you get a kitten boon.

in Mesmer

DiogoSilva.7089

As far as I know, no other profession has a skill only that applies an armor that can be gotten via combo field (I could be missing something though).

Elementalists have Frost Armor and Fire Shield. And Fire Shield is sucky for them. :P

in Mesmer

Posted by: shadowraith.9124

shadowraith.9124

Wow I think this might just be the nail in my mesmer’s coffin. Do they even realise how big a nerf this is?!!!

Anets dev team clearly don’t have any idea how to balance this game. They are addicted to making ad hoc unnecessary class changes which damage players’ enjoyment. The opposite of what they’re supposed to be doing.

(edited by shadowraith.9124)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

The worst part of this is the health regen. Health regen, unless wearing full healing power is basically worthless. 150 ticks aren’t going to do much for anyone.

I’m soooo resisting QQing right now. I’ll adapt I suppose, but this is hard to wake up to.

in Mesmer

DiogoSilva.7089

I hope they have adjusted the boon durations. 3s of regen or swiftness is pretty crappy, while 5s of protection is massively good. Usually, the norm for other professions is protection lasting 3s while other boons last 6-10s or more. It just makes no sense that you can get something as bad as 3s of swiftness or something as good as five seconds of protection randomly.

in Mesmer

zexion.5842

The worst part of this is the health regen. Health regen, unless wearing full healing power is basically worthless. 150 ticks aren’t going to do much for anyone.

I’m soooo resisting QQing right now. I’ll adapt I suppose, but this is hard to wake up to.

The worst part of the nerf is the ICD. You won’t be able to get off no more then 2 boons and 2 conditions via chaos armor.

This makes it suck in group situations. Because the conditions will activate for only one enemy… and then you only have a 33% chance of getting protection which is the only thing that will save you.

in Mesmer

DiogoSilva.7089

^ Let’s not forget the conditions this skill still inflicts. Blind is pretty much a free Aegis, and cripple + swiftness can be movement worth of a free dodge.

in Mesmer

TooBz.3065

The worst part of the nerf is the ICD. You won’t be able to get off no more then 2 boons and 2 conditions via chaos armor.

This makes it suck in group situations. Because the conditions will activate for only one enemy… and then you only have a 33% chance of getting protection which is the only thing that will save you.

It said it’s per target, so it may be that you can still get lots of boons in a 1 v Z scenario, but it definitely makes mesmers weaker in general, and very much so 1 v 1.

Unless the mesmer is the target of the boons? Oh this is confusing.

in Mesmer

DiogoSilva.7089

It said it’s per target, so it may be that you can still get lots of boons in a 1 v Z scenario, but it definitely makes mesmers weaker in general, and very much so 1 v 1.

It’s pretty much like Elementalist’s auras now. You no longer get as many benefits from multi-hit attacks as before, while slow attacks should go unaffected. I don’t mind the cooldown change, because otherwise it discriminates some classes over others, and as I’ve said, the Retaliation boon also needs an internal cooldown for the same reason.

In pve, or in pvp versus professions like, say, the Warrior, the cooldown change has little to no impact. Meanwhile, if you get by something like, say, Guardian’s third sword chain, you’ll only activate the effects once instead of three times.

If multiple different sources hit you, you should still activate the effects multiple times.

(edited by DiogoSilva.7089)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

I will probably be banned if I say what I want to say, so I’ll just not say anything and level my warrior.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sutcliffe.5491

Sutcliffe.5491

If u read properly, it says the random condition applied now has a 1-second internal recharge per target. Boons has a internal cooldown of 1s, so i will assume that only one boon will trigger per second.

Going back to playing guardian~

(edited by Sutcliffe.5491)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Krypty.3897

Krypty.3897

[ Edit ]
@Ryuujin

Guardians weren’t even touched, and they are strong as hell.

Blackgate – Mesmer

in Mesmer

phtotrope.3761

Basic chaos armour doesn’t apply protection when activated. It’s referring to the fact staff 4 applies protection on activation.

Interesting. I always assumed it did. I just never bothered to check my boons.Thanks for the clarification.

in Mesmer

TooBz.3065

If u read properly, it says the random condition applied now has a 1-second internal recharge per target. Boons has a internal cooldown of 1s, so i will assume that only one boon will trigger per second.

Going back to playing guardian~

Oh, yeah. Thanks. I was hoping it wasn’t so bad, but I guess it is.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Samiell.1259

Samiell.1259

I haven’t used staff in months. We’re as viable as ever. It sucks but its not the end of the class. Try using PU and stacking up protection boons. Tell me if its more of less tanky than staff bunker. I thought it felt about even, just a different play style.

Black Ops supply line disruptions.

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

I haven’t used staff in months. We’re as viable as ever. It sucks but its not the end of the class. Try using PU and stacking up protection boons. Tell me if its more of less tanky than staff bunker. I thought it felt about even, just a different play style.

^This…. It sucks that Chaos armor no longer applies protection on activation. IMO the cooldown should now be way way less. Also there is a bug where chaos armor doesn’t give protection if you are getting it through a combo field even when you get hit… IDK anet is just being kittening kittened now.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zera.8907

Zera.8907

Anet, kitten you. kitten you. This is just silly now. Instead of nerfing the thief that can deal 8k damage to someone who has 3k armor and over 1900-2000 toughness you keep kittening us over. Over this kitten. My Ranger is nerfed, my ele is nerfed, and my mesmer is nerfed. I guess i should play my easy mode thief…… Don’t care if this gets me banned as I am officially done, characters in the process of being deleted.

Blackgate: Zera Mithrandir- Reaper| Zera Targaryen-Mes|Zera Naharis – Ranger|

in Mesmer

Posted by: Yuhi Mortel.2609

Yuhi Mortel.2609

Nerf Chaos armor. Why not, but 35s cd now it’s a joke !
Now all mesmer who want to survive, go to Prismatic Understanding (before nerf).

And in the meantime, thief is playing with perma stealth (lol or not)…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Karril Daltaya.4980

Karril Daltaya.4980

I am starting to feel like a kicked dog.

Tarnished Coast since Beta, now Banished forever to the Megaservers…

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Chaos Armor is just getting a similar treatment that the Elementalist’s auras did a few patches ago, with the internal 1s cooldown. I just hope the Retaliation boon gets the same treatment someday.

Wrong… They removed protection on activation. Which is the only reason staff 4 was any good. No one used the skill for random on hit procs.

Actually, many ppl do use Chaos Armor to randomly stack conditions especially when they see someone coming at them with a multi-hit attack. I’m pretty sure that is exactly why they introduced the cool down on the conditions this skill applies. It was a piece of cake to inflict multiple confusion stacks (not to mention long durations of blind and cripple) and this was hugely nerfed. So really I see this, at least on the condition side of Chaos Armor, to essentially be a further confusion nerf, which is unnecessary.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Now that it could only proc like twice or maybe three times per 5sec, can we get rid of that useless 1 stack or confusion and cripple? All it should do is blind because right now its not defensive nor is it offensive… just crap, purple flashy crap…

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Master of Timespace.2548

Master of Timespace.2548

It wasn’t THAT powerful to being with, but now its just another passive effect that you hardly notice. On my p/d thief I often thought twice if it was worth it to use a sneak attack on a mesmer that has chaos armor on, as that would give me 5 random conditions and him 5 random buffs. Now I will certainly use it without hesitating of course.

? <(^-^><)>^-^)> <(^-^)> ?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Krypty.3897

Krypty.3897

I didn’t realize ANet’s 2 week patch plan was actually the Mesmer biweekly nerf plan.

Blackgate – Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

They should remove the Swiftness proc so it’s just between Regeneration and Protection. That’s how Chaos Armour used to be before they made Protection an on-cast effect and replaced the random proc Protection with Swiftness.

Not only would that make it more “armoury”, it would also bring it in line with all the Staff’s other random boon/condition skills: always one kitten on than a condition.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shadowtech.5071

Shadowtech.5071

Welcome to the Engineer’s pain in the forums on rng, we hope your stay will be a pleasant one.

Catastraseed – Guardian / Keytuura – Engineer
[GoA] Guardians of Äsgard
Maguuma

in Mesmer

Posted by: tetzou.8794

tetzou.8794

Im lost for words. But well the mesmer nerf crusade continues, and will prolly go on till the game is dead.

in Mesmer

Posted by: AndrewSX.3794

AndrewSX.3794

It wasn’t THAT powerful to being with, but now its just another passive effect that you hardly notice.

Just like confusion.

Seafarer’s Rest EU – PvE/WvW – 8 × 80 chars.
Most used: Guard/Mes/War/Nec/Ele.
Yes, i use 5 chars at time. Because REASONS.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

They should remove the Swiftness proc so it’s just between Regeneration and Protection. That’s how Chaos Armour used to be before they made Protection an on-cast effect and replaced the random proc Protection with Swiftness.

Not only would that make it more “armoury”, it would also bring it in line with all the Staff’s other random boon/condition skills: always one kitten on than a condition.

You would really want regen over swiftness? Those 150 ticks feel impactful on 17k health?

I’d take swiftness or protection over regen in any build not maxing healingpower. Regen scales well with healing but for every other spec it’s trakitten

’s hard for me to believe anyone would want regen for anything other than a healing build.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Oprah.1347

Oprah.1347

This change is absolutely stupid. The on activation protection was clutch in situations where you’re being heartseeker spammed or focussed in a teamfight – but now it’s literally a 35 second waste of a weapon skill. Swiftness as a boon? Are you kidding me? I can see it now – thief HS spamming you, oh god please protection – yay 3 stacks of swiftness , now my body can fall to the ground faster I guess?

Unwarranted nerf – plain and simple.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mere Image.8376

Mere Image.8376

Seeing the trend, anything protection oriented has been nerfed. Prismatic Understanding will be next. Can you imagine, investing 30 points into a grandmaster trait to earn swiftness on stealth…forget aegis and protection, ArenaNet will finally solve our issue with a lack of “reliable” speed. sarcasm

Server: Ehmry Bay
Guild: Commanders of the Reborn Empire Nation [CORE]
Level 80 Professions: Mesmer, Warrior, Thief

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xelnok.2397

Xelnok.2397

The sad thing is that PU is almost guaranteed to get nerfed, >.>, and with a new mesmer nerf every patch happening every two weeks now, it will be interesting to see what is left of the profession in a few months.