[Build] The Blackwater Mesmer (Condition/WvW)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Natsu Dragneel.1625

Natsu Dragneel.1625

@ Req, yeh the runes add a bit more damage (a LOT of damage against a d/d ele or someone who spams skills) without sacrificing anything besides 13g

Also, you are welcome, I’ve also been having a hell of a lot of fun.

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Oh My God, running with a second condition Mesmer, we are hitting 25 stacks of confusion that lasts quite a while on the targets and they literally down themselves so fast.

(edited by Natsu Dragneel.1625)

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Ahh, seems I haven’t played in a while, haven’t had the time to make any more videos, sorry about that, I will probably get around to it sooner or later, but in the mean time, I hope you are all enjoying the build!

This build is still completely viable and barely anything has been changed that would prevent this build from synergising and playing well.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Natsu, what do you think of this variant , trading the on-crit-bleed and DE for +33% Confusion Duration, Might on Shatter, extra Confusion on shatter and Confusion on Blind?

Right now I’m trying both alternatingly, and it’s a bit iffy. One the one hand, +33% Confusion duration is really awesome. OTOH the build relies heavily on having both bleeds and confusion, not just one. :S

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

(edited by Carighan.6758)

in Mesmer

Posted by: AsteriskCGY.5931

AsteriskCGY.5931

Well sounds like something I can farm the Queen’s Gauntlet for.

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

@carig, honestly, I would feel naked without de to churn out clones whenever I dodge, and I think it may end up lowering the overall conditions being applied, sure the extra confusion duration wouldn’t be bad, but i’m already pushing 90% confusion duration anyhow just from the perplex runes, so anymore seems un necessary. you would also loose the retaliation every time you block, and 20% in base damage. not to mention I find that I hardly ever shatter unless I really need an invulnerable from f4.

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

@ast, heh go for it, unless you have extra karma/badges/tokens and pick up some gear pretty much free.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

Natsu, you make me play my mesmer again. Thank you!

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

#ryn, nice too see you are enjoying your Mesmer again!

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Thanks Natsu. I came to a similar conclusion somewhere yesterday after trying both a lot. As a raw confusion-supplier it works great, so maybe it could do well as part of a really organized team, but I felt too naked whenever I had to actually kill someone.

And back to your setup! I did however keep my Celestial jewelry instead of switching to Rabid, seems to have no adverse effect on killing power with the slight increase in defence.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zahl.8564

Zahl.8564

Hello. I really like the idea of this build, but I have a few questions. As a PvE-player and freshly dinged 80 (some WvW, but not a lot), how does this build perform in PvE? I have tried quite a few specs, but I haven`t found the one for me yet. I don`t like pure Shatter-builds much, so the idea of clones messing up foes no matter how they die is really appealing to me. What adjustments do I have to do to the build to make it work in PvE (if any)? I am also wearing mostly Berserker-gear atm and I guess I have to make some adjustments (Rabid in PvE?). I often find myself missing the type of gameplay I had on my shadowpriest from that other game. Slow in the beginning, but when you got the DoTs stacking………

(edited by Zahl.8564)

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

I tried PvE with it yesterday, Zahl. For general running around solo in zones I simply swapped Chaos10 to Descent into Madness to not die so often (I really need that trait :X ).

When I grouped up for events or dungeons (tried 3 dungeons and did a lot of Orr and Pavilion), I went for an offhand pistol and changed the trait loadout to this one . Between the fast clone generation and the two on-shatter traits and the Phantasmal Duellist proccing a whole lot of bleeds with the Fury trait, it deals very solid damage.
Chaos Storm and Trick Shot together with the odd Diversion make it easy to stack up Bountiful Interruption to 15-20 might frequently.

So I would say it’s weaker than most builds, but not by such a huge margin. Nothing for super-efficient Arah speedruns where runs/hour is the only metric, but I never felt like I was a hindrance to the party.

Thanks again Natsu, this build is really quite inspiring as far as Torch and Scepter usage on a Mesmer goes, so versatile with it’s various trait selection possibilities (the 20/20/30 setup is really good for that).

(edited by Carighan.6758)

in Mesmer

Zahl.8564

Interesting. But what about the scepter-trait? Not worth going 20 points into for +200 condition dmg while wielding scepter?

in Mesmer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

Interesting. But what about the scepter-trait? Not worth going 20 points into for +200 condition dmg while wielding scepter?

Though its a decent trait my opinions (may differ from others) Its not NEEDED, it might be nice but it isnt really a requirement and i dont think 20points into that tree (i dont like it) isnt worth it.

I would put the points elsewhere and you would gain more.

in Mesmer

Zahl.8564

Well, I went all out and swapped all my gear and weapons and respecced. Fortunately I am a member of The Order of Whispers, so I got my hand on some gear right away. I also had quite a lot of karma and bought some rings and accessories from the karma-vendor at the Cathedral of Zephyrs. All in all it is quite fun. It`s a slow starter and little to none burst (as expected), but it is satisfying seeing all those small numbers add up. I am not used to the scepter yet, but is see the point of using it in this build, even though it is a weak weapon in itself. Stats are roughly 2100k attack, 1800 toughness, 1250 Condition Damage and 16000 HP. It`s just a start, but I think this is a build I can like.
Thanks to OP for a terrific guide

in Mesmer

Posted by: Overlord.7394

Overlord.7394

Not impress. Used your build for a bit. I am doing awful. It’s sad.

My name is Remy. I’m a proud member of Lion Knights. Defender of Borlis Pass.
80s: Mesmer, Engineer, Guardian.
In progress: Warrior 52.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

This build is extremely powerful. Its 1v1 fighting capabilities are only eclipsed by a few very specific phantasm builds, and only by a little. It also is much stronger in 1vX than those said phantasm builds.

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Over, perhaps its a play style thing, I don’t seem to have any problem at all doing well with this build

in Mesmer

Overlord.7394

I don’t know man... I don’t have a perfect gear set... I am using all fully upgraded rabid trinkets, an torch and the rest is masterwork rabid but my staff is exotic soldier’s. I haven’t used the runes of perplexity because I don’t want to waste a black lion salvage on it, and buy new perplexity runes lmao. I think I may get rabid rare from HotW really soon, then I wouldn’t mind using the salvage kits, because then at least I’ll get ectos after getting my runes back lol

in Mesmer

Overlord.7394

One more problem, I find roaming very VERY difficult with lack of swiftness but I guess that just comes with being mezzy

in Mesmer

Zahl.8564

One more problem, I find roaming very VERY difficult with lack of swiftness but I guess that just comes with being mezzy

I have the same issue. I am switching a bit between two builds . One uses Sw/Focus + GS (Phantasm), the other Sc/Pistol + Staff (Condi) and I REALLY miss the swiftness when I use spec 2. On another note I REALLY like the playstyle from a condi-spec. It`s just a matter of adjustment really. Haven`t decided what to go for yet

in Mesmer

Posted by: Helios.3598

Helios.3598

I have the same issue. I am switching a bit between two builds . One uses Sw/Focus + GS (Phantasm), the other Sc/Pistol + Staff (Condi) and I REALLY miss the swiftness when I use spec 2. On another note I REALLY like the playstyle from a condi-spec. It`s just a matter of adjustment really. Haven`t decided what to go for yet

Centaur Runes. They really aren’t that bad.

mesmer of Blackgate
http://intothemists.com/

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bovinity.8610

Bovinity.8610

Always interesting to see the differences in player mindsets. You grab a new build, play it for a short time, do poorly, and declare the build sucks.

Others grab a new build, try it out, and if they meet with failures say, “Well, I’m still inexperienced with this build. When I get better, it’ll be more successful.”

I’ll leave it to you to decide which type ends up happier with their play in the long run.

Any sufficiently advanced skill is indistinguishable from luck.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Joonks.7501

Joonks.7501

To use centaur runes you have to give up perplexity runes, which fit this build perfectly. I’m wondering if this build would be hindered too much by replacing torch with focus for the swiftness. I know you lose a stealth ability which really sucks, but you do pick up an AOE interrupt.

in Mesmer

Overlord.7394

Always interesting to see the differences in player mindsets. You grab a new build, play it for a short time, do poorly, and declare the build sucks.

Others grab a new build, try it out, and if they meet with failures say, “Well, I’m still inexperienced with this build. When I get better, it’ll be more successful.”

I’ll leave it to you to decide which type ends up happier with their play in the long run.

Dude. I have been trying for like, 4 days lol. I was fluxxing up the first day because it was my first experience with mesmer, I was expecting more. I used it a little more and was like, woahhh this could be something. I changed my mind, but perplexity is a big reason my mind is changed. I put those in…. Game changer….

in Mesmer

Overlord.7394

To use centaur runes you have to give up perplexity runes, which fit this build perfectly. I’m wondering if this build would be hindered too much by replacing torch with focus for the swiftness. I know you lose a stealth ability which really sucks, but you do pick up an AOE interrupt.

I changed a little something that made a difference. I am using blink/veil/PDisenchant also switch out the torch trait line for glamour cooldown and menders purity. I played around with confuse duration which does work, but it is all in your playstyle.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Maniac Magee.2643

Maniac Magee.2643

Hey I don’t know if you’re still keeping track of the posts on here, hope you are. I’d very very much like to duel you. This build is the first one I have seen that I like as much as mine and might give mine a run for its money. I am not used to fighting players (mostly pve) but fighting you would still give me a great comparison. I will message you in game (probably with mail) and see what we can set up.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Adonisis.9736

Adonisis.9736

I’ve been using this build for the past week and it’s great! I rerolled my mesmer because of this build, found it through Osi but it’s similar to this one.
I’ve been dueling in sPvP like crazy and only lost 2 times, and those times were against a mesmer using the Iduelist. It hits so hard and with a Null Field gives confusion + bleeds.. It made me switch to Scepter/Pistol and Sword/Torch but I’m missing Staff right now, but I also want the Iduelist, what do you guys think?

in Mesmer

Overlord.7394

I was doing aweful initially but I figured it out, made my tweaks and can Confidentally charge in 1v3 and be 90% sure of victory and 7% sure of successfully running if I do. Lol it is ridiculous. Thanks bro.

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Just wanted to update, build Has now been added to the [OMFG] Build of the month contest for September, just wanted to thank everyone for their feedback and such, and I hope you are all enjoying your Mesmer!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dietzen.6127

Dietzen.6127

Thanks for the build Dragneel! I have used this for my condition build, and kitten it works wonders, though I do switch out some traits, fury for phantasms for example, but it’s solid
The funny thing about the build is, I can’t live without the key components in my shatter build. So, I’m using the exact same build for my shatter build, just changing a few traits and utilities, and tbh it also works splendidly All zerker gear, damage on interrupt, sword cd reduction and might on interrupt (others are same), using s/s and Sc/t, with decoy, blink and mantra of distraction so thanks!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pied Piper.9345

Pied Piper.9345

Natsu, have you given any thought to the Tormenting runes? Seems with scepter block applying 5 stacks of torment on a fairly short cd they might be worth considering.

(edited by Pied Piper.9345)

in Mesmer

Posted by: SAKRAY.3690

SAKRAY.3690

How beneficial is the 1 extra second stealth? Would Master of Redirection work better over it for another 33% extra Confusion Duration?

Shichi Gatsu ~ Elementalist
Ichigo Bushi ~ Warrior

(edited by SAKRAY.3690)

in Mesmer

Dietzen.6127

How beneficial is the 1 extra second stealth? Would Master of Redirection work better over it for another 33% extra Confusion Duration?

It’s not just 1 second of stealth, it’s also 1 boon per second, so instead of having 3 seconds of stealth, it’s now 4 seconds and 4 boons. AND you get a chance to proc your minor trait 15 (protection on regen). So it’s a lot more than just 1 second.
This single trait is actually what I cling to, if I want to have protection in a build. (I don’t mean the boon, but overall protection, survivability.

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

^As Diet said, its the boons you get from PU as well as the extra second,

@Pied, I thought about the torment runes, however, compared to perplexity, I find them lacklustre, as the tormenting runes will only do 2 stacks of torment when you heal after a 20 second icd, IE not much damage anyway, as apposed to perplexity which procs 3 stacks of confusion (which has the potential to do a lot more damage and stacks nicely with torch 5 and sceptre 3, adding up to an easy 10-13 stacks)

Edit: Tormenting runes would be alright with no ICD on the 2 stacks and using the healing mantra, but that’s about all

in Mesmer

Dietzen.6127

No ICD? Engineers stacked 25 torment prior to the ICD with medkit. There deffo should be an ICD

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Yeh there should be an icd, but because of that they aren’t really worth using ^^

in Mesmer

Joonks.7501

Loving this build so much – at first I was concerned about the lack of swiftness/catching skills, but I haven’t noticed it too much.

I do have a question though, getting torment to actually apply to my target after blocking with scepter #2 only seems to happen about 50% of the time. I know an attack is blocked because I get the “block” GUI indication. Am I doing something wrong or is it buggy? The only possibility I can think of is maybe I’m blocking while I have Aegis active and that’s what I’m seeing.

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

It could be an aegis, and if you interrupt the cast on the torment after the block (dodging or something) it wont apply, or perhaps your opponents are dodging or blocking the torment that you are applying.

I don’t seem to have too much trouble with it, and most of the time the torment lands unless I screw up some how.

in Mesmer

Posted by: themenaceofseventhdimension.2075

themenaceofseventhdimension.2075

Is the retal worth it? I mean I think fury for phantasms are better in my opinion. But then this build will turn into Osicat’s Condition Cat build. I don’t know. If you can, explain something plz for me, cause I don’t think this build will be doing good against another PU build with fury on phantasms trait. If Im missing something, plz explain.

in Mesmer

Joonks.7501

Is the retal worth it? I mean I think fury for phantasms are better in my opinion. But then this build will turn into Osicat’s Condition Cat build. I don’t know. If you can, explain something plz for me, cause I don’t think this build will be doing good against another PU build with fury on phantasms trait. If Im missing something, plz explain.

You’re missing the whole point. This isn’t a phantasm build, it’s a condition (on clone death) build. The retaliation synergizes perfectly because of how often you’ll be blocking attacks. You’re right – a PU phantasm build probably would be stronger in a 1v1 (and that’s highly dependent on the skill of the player), but this build is far superior in a 2v1 or 3v1 situation which is more common in WvW.

I used to run a PU phantasm build and it did feel strong, but also very boring and not very involved. I love the finesse of your build, Natsu – your opponents throw themselves at you and end up killing themselves to either retaliation or confusion. I feel much more in control of each encounter and love watching people panic when the area is flooded with clones while I pop in and out of stealth. Most people really seem to have no idea what’s damaging them and will resort to killing clones which only throws more conditions up on them.

It’s a great build and not something I would have thought would be so effective. Thank you for sharing.

in Mesmer

Dietzen.6127

Loving this build so much – at first I was concerned about the lack of swiftness/catching skills, but I haven’t noticed it too much.

I do have a question though, getting torment to actually apply to my target after blocking with scepter #2 only seems to happen about 50% of the time. I know an attack is blocked because I get the “block” GUI indication. Am I doing something wrong or is it buggy? The only possibility I can think of is maybe I’m blocking while I have Aegis active and that’s what I’m seeing.

Also, if you are blinded while blocking, you get the block but don’t put out torment.

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Put together another video, after just obtaining a nice new Ascended Staff, I wanted to give it a bit of a test, sorry about the lack of any video footage, its been a while and iv never really gotten around to running fraps and recording some roaming,

This one will be against 2 guardians, I’m not entirely sure what they are using but it looked like they both had 3 shouts and PoV (PoV is currently bugged and removes 2 conditions each shout ^^)

In the end I won but it was definitely an interesting experience fighting with 2 people who have plenty of condition removal available as well as large amounts of regen/healing.

Anyway, the video is rendering now and will be uploaded within the next few hours, Just giving you all a heads up!

Edit Sigh, My Lovely Internet, looks like its going to take about 4 hours to upload, so much for me getting any sleep, oh well, sorry about that guys :’(

in Mesmer

Posted by: agxhdf.3701

agxhdf.3701

it would be nice to have some more vids to get an idea how this is meant to be played. maybe other players are willing to upload videos too.

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

Took long enough to upload but here it is anyway

and im going to bed, catch yall tomorrow ^^

in Mesmer

Posted by: Aroix.4135

Aroix.4135

Just a quick statement of thanks. Just recently had the gold together to afford the rabid gear to give this a try! Even with rare trinkets, the build is strong and incredibly fun to play around with. Still slowly getting the hang of it, it takes me a while to kill things, but have no problem with soloing camps in WvW.

Defiantly a nice change from running my old 20/20/0/30/0 Phantasm reflect build, and much more survival and escape tactics.

Again great build and thank you!

- Islyi Lyssa

Lania Ren – 80 Necromancer

in Mesmer

Posted by: agxhdf.3701

agxhdf.3701

thanks for the video

in Mesmer

Posted by: SAKRAY.3690

SAKRAY.3690

Have u tried out the new Armor yet Condi/Tough/Vit? Should make u a tanky beast if I look at it

Shichi Gatsu ~ Elementalist
Ichigo Bushi ~ Warrior

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

@SAK, A few pieces would work out alright, giving you some more hp, but I think that you should keep around 40%ish critical chance for sharper images/on crit sigils,

Other then that, I’m currently sitting at 17,636 hp and I find that it is usually more then enough. (remember, the more hp you have, the less effective healing from effects/heal skill gets)

in Mesmer

Natsu Dragneel.1625

WOW, I just realised, after all this time, in the build link, I had added on coral jewels for the trinkets, instead of the Chrysocola carrion that I use and had intended to be put on there, heh, fixed that up just now ^^

Update Just letting everyone out there know that this build has been added and approved in the build of the month contest for September, if you particularly enjoy using this build or any of the others that have entered, feel free to go over and give them a positive vote!

(just put it in this post so people see it at the top XD)