Ladies and Gentlemen: The Chronomancer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dondagora.9645

Dondagora.9645

I wrote a super lengthly analysis on the info… and I cant post it. x_X

Apparently “You cannot post a new topic because you are being punished.” Anyone know how long that lasts?

One of us can start the thread for you and you can, apparently, just post your info from there.

in Mesmer

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

Are we sure it’s an F5. What if the new shatter replaces F1?

This is also possible but I would think it’s more likely to replace F4. Both defensive and should have long cooldowns.

The linked article explicitly says that Continuum Split is on the F5 key. They wouldn’t include that detail if it wasn’t in their press kit.

I saw that but I still think f4 might be possible with more balance passes. both require illusions for duration and are really strong built in defense measures. Speaking of duration, how many seconds per illusion? I don’t think it can be more than 1. Can portal shenanigans really go that far in 4 seconds?

in Mesmer

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

very nice and bold idea
the elite specialization seem to be more support the offense role
i can imagine longer cd on skills and utilities which means f5 and shield should be used to shorter it
so sound to me more wvw role which neglect the mesmer long time ago.
i could see more build with this trait line but the main one is to regen hp, endurance and skill use with location. so thieves with their new huge burst cant 1 shot us

also in pvp put portal between mid and far and go back and put it mid close to control the whole area but your team will lose dmg i guess will be the outcome or else it can be bit op mechanism

but w8ing to play with this new ideas

in Mesmer

Posted by: DuckDuckBOOM.4097

DuckDuckBOOM.4097

I’d also like to point out the additional reflect we get. Now we have Focus and Shield giving reflection.

Additionally, that’s another potential reflect in PvP/WvW that Greatsword Mesmers can just smile at while they use their lasers :-p

Absorb, not reflect. However…it does sound like a potentially high-target stun. That has obvious implications.

Not sure if you meant what I was thinking but if this works the way I think it will, mobile static field/line of warding has no target limit. Double halting strike on an entire zerg

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

That actually sounds pretty good, should allow much more interesting builds and tactics then the rather lack luster core spec changes. Glad I managed to pick up a torment sheild for relativly cheapish the other day.

Can’t wait to see the traits and skill info tomorrow, hopefully it matches up to this info. Hope at least one of our wells has pretty decent damage on it too.

in Mesmer

Posted by: tevoro.1587

tevoro.1587

Maybe its just because I use phantasms more than clones/illusions, but the post seemed to make it sound like the elite favored shatter builds hell of a lot more, yes the post said we can give alacrity to our phantasms (love it), but later it says that all those wells have high recharge so we should keep the alacrity flowing, which would do nothing if it is flowing to our phantasms instead of us. I’ll reserve judgment until tomorrows POI, but did anyone read it differently?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lewis Burnell.2493

Lewis Burnell.2493

Official blogpost is up: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/meet-the-chronomancer-mesmers-elite-specialization/

I don’t see anything new over the Ten Ton Hammer article, though.

Yeah, they even used the same wording. Looks like Ten Ton Hammer got lazy and just copy/pasted their article from the early look of the blog post.

As the author of the Ten Ton Hammer post, we’re regularly asked by ArenaNet to utilise quotes from blog posts so that the “message” remains in tact. It isn’t about being lazy, it’s about ensuring ArenaNet’s message is conveyed properly.

in Mesmer

Posted by: messiah.1908

messiah.1908

Maybe its just because I use phantasms more than clones/illusions, but the post seemed to make it sound like the elite favored shatter builds hell of a lot more, yes the post said we can give alacrity to our phantasms (love it), but later it says that all those wells have high recharge so we should keep the alacrity flowing, which would do nothing if it is flowing to our phantasms instead of us. I’ll reserve judgment until tomorrows POI, but did anyone read it differently?

just w8 for your phantasm skills to be recharge and f1 the existing ones to create more
but the alacrity to phantasm will become from trait and not shatter

in Mesmer

Dondagora.9645

Well, you can use Continuum now to summon a phantasm, Shift back, and summon it again in a short duration. If you add Sig of Ether in there, you can quickly get 3 phantasms up at the beginning of a fight. In theory.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Advent.6193

Advent.6193

Hmmm.
This could be quite enjoyable.
I wonder how a Chaos/Illusions/(New Traitline) condi-spec could work out. I’m thinking Staff, Sceptre/Shield …

Malegryne (Sylvari Mesmer), Lannka (Asura Thief) – Ferguson’s Crossing: [PRD/BRB/OMFG]
Other 80s: Any but Warrior

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2357

Fay.2357

Well, you can use Continuum now to summon a phantasm, Shift back, and summon it again in a short duration. If you add Sig of Ether in there, you can quickly get 3 phantasms up at the beginning of a fight. In theory.

If you’re going to use continuum….

Shatter → Summon → SoE → Summon → Shatter → Summon. 3 phantasms up, SoE still up.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

You know, the more I see the more I’m wondering if DE -or rather, clone production for shatters- will be as mandatory as it used to be.

So many new tactics come with the F5 shatter alone that it’s a bit scarey.

Signet of Inspiration twice?
TimeWarp twice?
Mantra of Distraction twice?
Four shots of MoPain?

Siiick.

Hell, F5 → Phantasm Summon (signet activates) → Signet of Inspiration → F5 → Summon (Signet Activates) → Signet of Inspiration

Chaos Maestro is gonna return with a fury! /cackle

in Mesmer

Posted by: Indrea.7803

Indrea.7803

I’m really happy about this Chronomancer, also finally we get AOE skills….something that we really need in massive area.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Another thought … the new F5 could be pretty sick with a burst-oriented Mantra build.

Don’t want to recharge the Mantras? Fine, shatter, unload mantras, rewind time to when they were already charged.

I’d also like to point out the additional reflect we get. Now we have Focus and Shield giving reflection.

How do you plan to equip both focus and shield at the same time?

Weapon Set #1: Sword + Shield
Weapon Set #2: Focus

Weapon Set #2 will use the same Sword for its MH at Weapon Set #1.

Now you can cleave with Sword Autos and Blurred Frenzy AND have AOEs from both offhands. Just weapon swap as desired.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Dondagora.9645

If you’re going to use continuum….

Shatter -> Summon -> SoE -> Summon -> Shatter -> Summon. 3 phantasms up, SoE still up.

Well, this is me assuming it’s at the start of a fight, so unless you quickly throw up 2-3 clones to add time, you’ll only have 1 second before Shift after Splitting. Therefor a quick summon might be easier to attain. If you can get two clones up, then your’s is of course more optimal.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

Depending on how long the Continuum Split will last and if it works with iPersona i guess shatter burst will be real.
If it’d last 1s it’s be enough for a hard shatter spike (Rota for possible pve shatter)
Continuum Split → Mirror Images → Mind Wrack → Continuum Shift → SoIllusions → Continuum Split → Mirror Images → Mind Wrack → Continuum Shift → Mirror Images → Mind Wrack

This is only a possiblity… we don’t know how exactly this will work.

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Me Games Ma.8426

Another thought:
What do you guys think? Will Continuum Shift also restore our Mantra stacks?
Would be VERY awesome!

Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cerpin.9152

Cerpin.9152

I love it !
I am so happy !
I …. don’t even know what to say ….
YAAAAAYY !!!!

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Another thought:
Would be VERY awesome!

Nearly positive.

Agony .. Torment.. Pain! Pain!… Pain!. .. Pain!

/roflstomp

in Mesmer

Posted by: Toxsa.2701

Toxsa.2701

I think you guys are overhyped before you get enough info.

The new F5 can be on 180 CD, and lasts for 5 seconds only. Though it can still be paired up well with long CD elite, I don’t think Anet would make it too OP.

in Mesmer

Me Games Ma.8426

Another thought:
Would be VERY awesome!

Nearly positive.

Agony .. Torment.. Pain! Pain!… Pain!. .. Pain!

/roflstomp

Laughed so hard

Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I’m just having lots of fun imagining using the well that resets people back a second to mess about with zergs.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

I’m wondering what will happen if a skill is in mid cast when Continuum Split ends.
Will it end?
Will it complete at your original location (possibly causing a different set of issues)?
If it does complete will the recharge be reset after cast (so it casts and is instantly recharged) or will it complete, but go on recharge?

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Capricorn XI.4390

Capricorn XI.4390

All of these cool combos are probably not going to happen. I mean, yeah, we now have IP baseline, but that could be, what, 1 second before we’re reset? You may need multiple clones out before you can do anything remotely “broken”. I think the biggest one is definitely the Mirror Image > Mind Wrack shatter rotation, since both of those skills are instant. All the crazy combos of F5 > Phantasm > SoE > Phantasm > End F5 > SoI > repeat probably won’t happen. Phantasmal Swordsman and SoE each take 1 second to activate, so you would need at least 2 illusions out beforehand if you were to activate them as quickly as possible.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kael.4538

Kael.4538

Lets not get too excited here, Dulfy says that they made DE a dueling GM trait…

Remember the Mesmers.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lishtenbird.2814

Lishtenbird.2814

Ohhhhh look the CHRONOMANCER in action again hue hue. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEuN8j2kPK0&feature=youtu.be

My (former) mesmer main really hoped to see that guy being one-shot…

20 level 80s and counting.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

and continuum sounds great if you’re having trouble with jumping puzzle use it, jump, fail, use it again and you’re back where you started

The changes sound amazing for wvw and pvp, but with the lack of phantasms, on x/shield setup, which are a major part of mesmer’s pve damage, I wonder if the wells and shield skills pack enough punch to compensate. Otherwise I dont see myself running Shield outside pvp or wvw.

I didnt even thnk of that, but between portal and now continuum…. well, except you need clones for continuum, it appears. So that may not work unless there are enemies to spawn them. Or unless a minimum effect + IP is sufficient.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Lets not get too excited here, Dulfy says that they made DE a dueling GM trait…

Yeah but 6/6/6 means if you pick the duelling tree you automatically have the choice of taking DE.

And anyway, with all the new effects and baseline IP, DE may no longer be necessary in most builds.

in Mesmer

Me Games Ma.8426

I’m pretty exited about that Shield Skill. Every skill that triggers on enemies passing through it does NOT have a targetcap.

Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Morfedel.4165

Morfedel.4165

Hm, talking about the shield and no phantasm, the chronomancer doesnt HAVE to use the new weapon, right? Can use the f5 and utilities, etc, and use our regular off-hands? Or is it required when in the specialization?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Caelus.7139

Caelus.7139

Not meaning to be negative or anything, but if Chronomancer spec seems this powerful, do you guys think it’ll be a battle of super OPness when the other specs get announced too?

GW2 has taught me that being a Mesmer is about..
..being a cynical forecaster.
..being a doom-monger….and being a hopeless jinxer.

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

The new F5 can be on 180 CD, and lasts for 5 seconds only. Though it can still be paired up well with long CD elite, I don’t think Anet would make it too OP.

Even if it is, Alacrity management would reduce the cooldown. And to be honest.. I kind of hope it is on a rather long cooldown, 80s at least.

Regardless, the potential applications are excellent. Quadruple Signet of Inspiration is as good as an elite.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Tealots.6095

Tealots.6095

I think if they keep up with the pattern of shatter cooldowns that we have now, we can expect the f5 shatter to be at least 75 seconds. And we still don’t know what the benefit will be for having more clones out.

Several of you know that I was really sad/disappointed that we were getting a shield, and that I was indifferent to the Chronomancer speculation. That being said, I think these changes are going to offer a ton of amazing party options for the Mesmer in group PvP (WvW, Arena, and Stronghold). These announcements have made me really enthusiastic about what Mesmers are going to be like. And I’m happy I made a Charr toon, since they’re supposed to be great clockmakers. :P

-T

in Mesmer

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

As long as SoI works with it, its cooldown is sort of irrelevant, I guess. If it doesn’t work with it, that will change a lot of stuff.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

I’m curious if the F5 will reset our weapon swap. A phantasm build could hurt:

• Summon Phantasm
  • Weapon Swap
  • Summon Phantasm
  • Signet
  • Summon Phantasm
  • F5 Reset
  • Summon Phantasm
  • Weapon Swap
  • Summon Phantasm
  • Signet
  • Summon Phantasm

Likely don’t need to even include the signet for the extra summon, but included to show a sort of upper bound on this.

One other thing I’m curious about. The initial F5 shatters all our illusions and clones, but what if after that I summon some illusions and then reset with the F5. Will those illusions still be up so that I can now resummon those exact same illusions again?

I’ll say it again, with the upcoming new weapon traits that allow us to lower cooldowns, alacrity, and now this new F5 … some very interesting things could very well come out of this.

I think we can all agree that the rate that we can churn out illusions is going to be increasing … all but the phantasm builds should be happy about that

Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MailMail.6534

MailMail.6534

I just want to know if Pyro still thinks 90% of Mesmers will NOT be using Shield because our other offhands are simply much much better. #shade Love you!!

Thoughts on everything soon.

https://www.twitch.tv/thatcho
“The jealous are troublesome to others, but certainly a torment to themselves.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ramiel.4931

Ramiel.4931

All I read was gimmick, gimmick, gimmick, overpowered, gimmick, gimmick, offhand shield, gimmick, recycled abilities, gimmick, long cooldowns and more gimmicks.

The focus point of everything is that kitten shield and ANet can go stick it where the sun occasionally shines. Yes I am mad.

Didn’t they say professions that got a one handed weapon would be as happy as those that got a 2 handed one? Well one rewind mechanic doesn’t cut it, I’m sorry.

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

I just want to know if Pyro still thinks 90% of Mesmers will NOT be using Shield because our other offhands are simply much much better. #shade Love you!!

I think shield will have a place in WvW groups. I don’t think shield will have a place in PvE at all, in any way. I don’t think shield will have a place on a shatter build, obviously not on a PU build, and probably not on other condie builds either. It might have a place in interrupt builds.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ansau.7326

Ansau.7326

More information about Chronomancer

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/hidden-arcana-creating-the-chronomancer/

- Shield skin showed in the video will be unlocked through elite specialization reward track.
- Shoulder unique skin will be also available with the same reward track.
- Elite specializations will be only available at level 80.

Ansau – Sylvari Mesmer – Exiled Warriors [wE] – Gandara

i7 5775c @ 4.1GHz – 12GB RAM @ 2400MHz – RX 480 @ 1390/2140MHz

(edited by Ansau.7326)

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

@Pyro:
Why exactly do you think that Shield won’t have a place in PvE at all?

Why do you think that Shield won’t have a place on a Shatter build?

Why do you think that Shield won’t have a place on a PU build?

Why do you think that Shield won’t have a place on Condition builds?

The CC makes it pretty obvious why you think it has a place in Interrupt builds.

I ask because I’m seeing the opinions but no reasons why.
Opinions are nice and all, but “why” is rather important.

Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

@Pyro:

Because the shield appears to offer utility and control. Nobody cares about that in PvE, you want damage first and everything else second.

It could. However it would have to displace sword/pistol/torch, each of which have very good reasons for being used.

Because it doesn’t have stealth. You could potentially use it on a second set, but then you’d have to give up staff.

Because it doesn’t appear to apply any conditions.

in Mesmer

Dondagora.9645

@Pyro:

The CC makes it pretty obvious why you think it has a place in Interrupt builds.

I ask because I’m seeing the opinions but no reasons why.
Opinions are nice and all, but “why” is rather important.

Doesn’t seem to add damage to PvE

Doesn’t create illusions and doesn’t seem to really help in landing them except for a stun, which other weapons also have.

Less stealth, less PU, not optimal.

No apparent condition appliers.

It’s an elite specialization, which means it focuses pretty heavily into a single style of combat: Control, AKA Lockdown.

Pyro’s opinion makes sense to me.

in Mesmer

Sebrent.3625

@Fay.2357 (Pyro) & @Dondagora.9645

PvE
Do we actually know how much damage the abilities do? I’ve seen nothing about how much damage they do, but AOE damage while in melee would be nice if they do.

Shatter Builds
Do we know for certain that the shield doesn’t summon any illusions? I believe they only showed us one of the Shield’s two weapon skills. Additionally, wouldn’t that alacrity speeding up your cooldowns allow you to summon more illusions so you could shatter more? Perhaps even recharge shatter cooldowns quicker? Heck, have we not already discussed some potential scenarios where the new F5 from chronomancer would be excellent for a shatter burst?

PU Builds
You could use Torch in one weaponset and shield in the other. As Pyro stated, though, this means you have to give up staff. We’ll have to see if there is a decent enough reason to give that up.

Condition Builds
No apparent condition applier … unless it does summon a phantasm that hits several times like the Duelist/Warden … I don’t think anyone says Duelist sucks in condition builds and it’s just taking advantage of bleed on crit right now, not even the new confusion on crit.

Elite Specialization / Interrupt Builds
It’s an elite specialization … that means it can’t be combined with other elite specializations … period. Given how little know about the full suite of skills, I think it’s far too early to try to pigeonhole it into one style of play.

That’s fine that Pyro’s opinion makes sense to you … I think you both are leaping pretty far with your conclusions without enough information.

Better yourself.

(edited by Sebrent.3625)

in Mesmer

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

Won’t the shield be good for tagging enemies in pve farming? I’m not sure if the moving wall deals damage, though, but we’ve only seen one single skill yet. We have no idea what is chronomancer’s phantasm.

Anyways, anet is designing “hard pve content” and elite specs focused roles are intended to be useful there. If this “hard pve content” ends up being challenging enough, and rewarding enough, I’m sure most people will no longer use dungeons broken content to demonstrate what pve is or what is not.

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Do we actually know how much damage the abilities do? I’ve seen nothing about how much damage they do, but AOE damage while in melee would be nice if they do.

We don’t know the first thing about echo of memory, but we can definitely assume the wall won’t do much damage. It’s a multi-target stun and quickness buff. If it also did good damage, it would be stupidly overpowered.

Do we know for certain that the shield doesn’t summon any illusions? I believe they only showed us one of the Shield’s two weapon skills.

Absent other information, I’d assume that echo of memory will summon a phantasm somehow. That being said…I highly doubt that phantasm is going to do the damage of swordsman/duelist, and it’s obviously not going to have the stealth utility of the torch.

Additionally, wouldn’t that alacrity speeding up your cooldowns allow you to summon more illusions so you could shatter more?
Perhaps even recharge shatter cooldowns quicker? Heck, have we not already discussed some potential scenarios where the new F5 from chronomancer would be excellent for a shatter burst?

Sure, but you have to consider what you’re giving up. Are you going to give up dueling and DE? Are you going to give up illusions and everything that line gives? Are you going to give up domination with the strong CS and power block or mental torment? It’s not like you’re just getting this new stuff for free, you’re going to have to sacrifice something to trait into chrono, and that might not be worth it for some builds.

No apparent condition applier … unless it does summon a phantasm that hits several times like the Duelist/Warden … I don’t think anyone says Duelist sucks in condition builds and it’s just taking advantage of bleed on crit right now, not even the new confusion on crit.

Unlikely that it’ll hit a bunch of times. Hitting a bunch of times usually means doing damage. I highly doubt it’ll do damage. Since the wall doesn’t provide alacrity or slow, it stands to reason that the other shield skill will. Similarly to the wall…a phantasm applying alacrity/slow and doing lots of damage would be unbalanced.

in Mesmer

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Was the slow condition ever mentioned?

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Mesmer

MailMail.6534

I think shield will have a place in WvW groups. I don’t think shield will have a place in PvE at all, in any way. I don’t think shield will have a place on a shatter build, obviously not on a PU build, and probably not on other condie builds either. It will definitely have a place in interrupt builds.

fixed

Being that it will see use in interrupt builds as well as wvw, I think we can both say that shield will get decent use. Tides of Time is so legit.

In terms of PvE, I think you might be underestimating Tides of Time. In dungeon content and fractals, the Mesmer is constantly switching utilities and sometimes weapons. Feedback is still arguably better that Tides of Time, but the quickness provided is always nice.

Even without the use of alacrity, chronomancer shield skills have special mechanics that allow them to be used more frequently when played correctly. Skilled chronomancers will be able to maximize the effectiveness of these new weapon skills to suit a variety of playstyles.

Weren’t we only shown 1 skill from the shield? It’s possible that we could still get a phantasm along with it, but I find it hard to see how it would function as described in the above quote. That being said, there are still probably better weapons for shatter.

in Mesmer

MailMail.6534

Just as the mesmer is a unique take on a spellcasting class, our chronomancer does much more than distribute speed to allies while slowing down enemies.

It was definitely implied that this specialization will give quickness to allies and give enemies slow.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daniel Handler.4816

Daniel Handler.4816

This.^

Also does the shift reset it’s own cool down? Could you infinitely dodge by spamming f5?

“Kentigem”-chief. Born cycle of Dusk. Wyld Hunt:
Learn as much mending and medical info as possible so that it can be added to the Dream.
Become the first Chief of Mending and guide the newly awaken as well as those who want to learn.

in Mesmer

Fay.2357

Also does the shift reset it’s own cool down? Could you infinitely dodge by spamming f5?

What do you think? Honestly…