Mesmer Balance in September Feature Patch

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kelthien.8593

Kelthien.8593

From the Feature Pack site:

Mesmer

The mesmer has seen adjustments in a few areas. For this update, we’re looking at improving multiple traits, utility skills, weapon skills, and illusions. We’ve taken a look at some of the new grandmaster traits and improved upon their original implementation. We’ve altered the scepter a bit, pushing it more toward the condition role we would like it to have. In addition, you’ll see some awesome improvements to offensive mantras and a rework of the Mimic skill, which will now copy all boons on your target to yourself.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

From the Feature Pack site:

Mesmer

The mesmer has seen adjustments in a few areas. For this update, we’re looking at improving multiple traits, utility skills, weapon skills, and illusions. We’ve taken a look at some of the new grandmaster traits and improved upon their original implementation. We’ve altered the scepter a bit, pushing it more toward the condition role we would like it to have. In addition, you’ll see some awesome improvements to offensive mantras and a rework of the Mimic skill, which will now copy all boons on your target to yourself.

Here’s to hoping for our long discussed mantra of pain AoE. I can almost taste it.
Mimic … ALL boons. My My. Complete re-work.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sweeps.3059

Sweeps.3059

Hmmm hope this weeks ready up features the mesmer but they will probs save it till last lol.

in Mesmer

Kelthien.8593

And now a personal take-

Still vague, but I’m hopeful!

Improving grandmaster traits- awesome. Right now, PU and Illusionary Persona seem like the only two in major use.

Scepter changes- always welcome. I’d LOVE to run a scepter/staff condition build in WvW… like the good ole days. I really hope that becomes a new viable meta.

Fingers crossed for AoE damage on all offensive mantras.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Wyrden.4713

Wyrden.4713

mimic sounds nice against bunker guards, imagine u use pyros immortal mesmer, then some enemy guard is bunker, copy his boons, tadaaaa

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Mesmer

Kelthien.8593

mimic sounds nice against bunker guards, imagine u use pyros immortal mesmer, then some enemy guard is bunker, copy his boons, tadaaaa

That would be awesome! I wonder how it’ll compare with Arcane Thievery, which slightly overlaps. Hopefully higher boon limit and lower cooldown, but won’t do anything to conditions. I’d love a more reliable way to snag some of those huge might and stability stacks I see enemy classes walking around with.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

For this update, we’re looking at improving multiple traits, utility skills, weapon skills, and illusions.

Oh hell, this feature patch is coming out in 2016.

in Mesmer

Posted by: PhDusk.2590

PhDusk.2590

Please Karl, I want to believe.

Zhang He Dusk, Mezviableplz
[PETP][AyB][BKB]
Mesmer-Thief-Guard

in Mesmer

skcamow.3527

For this update, we’re looking at improving multiple traits, utility skills, weapon skills, and illusions.

Da salt has finally caught up with you.

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

(Ideally) Estimated Illusion Tweaks: iWarden, iWarlock, iLeap, iMage

Estimated Trait Tweaks: On-down/rezz because no one cares. Restorative Illusions, Power Block(!?!), Torment Shatter

Scepter Auto will see some love, likely with …Weakness or some other control CC

Improvements to MoPain/Daze? o_O Oh god what did they do to my daze mantra!?

Da salt has finally caught up with you.

Haha who knew salt was contagious? To be honest, if I’m not mistaken, this is probably the yearly awesome December balance patch.

(edited by Chaos Archangel.5071)

in Mesmer

Posted by: cheshader.5081

cheshader.5081

So… how exactly we will be screwed this time?
My bet is on bugs in everything they “improved”, new bugs in old skills, some nerfs called “improvements”, and if some “cool stuff” slips past them they will call it a bug and fix it to total uselessness the very next day.
Call me whatever you want.

in Mesmer

Sweeps.3059

I think scepter auto will be like staff auto and add random condition on hits 1 and 2 and summon clone still on hit 3

in Mesmer

Posted by: Esplen.3940

Esplen.3940

Don’t worry, guiz. Copy all dem boons with a 4s cast time. It’s like a Mantra, without the charges!

Inb4 they give it a root as well.

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Oh snap! Remember the discussion about reworking Mind Stab(GS 3)?

Some great ideas here guys! This skill is something we’ve been looking at, as it’s a little underwhelming at times.

Here’s a bunch of potential things we could do (we would do one or maybe two of these, not all:

1. Look at making it usable on the move. Currently, the animation is ONLY able to be used while standing still.
  2. Increase the number of boons removed.
  3. Increase the radius.
  4. Make this a channeled skill that pulses AOE damage and boon removal while you hold the sword in the ground.
  5. Multi-stab! You choose multiple ground targets and stab all of them simultaneously (or one-after the other). We don’t have tech for this yet… but it’s a possibility!
  6. ???
  7. Profit!

Tagging this thread for later.

Most of us voted for 4!

in Mesmer

Sweeps.3059

Come on lucky number 4

Some great ideas here guys! This skill is something we’ve been looking at, as it’s a little underwhelming at times.

Here’s a bunch of potential things we could do (we would do one or maybe two of these, not all:

1. Look at making it usable on the move. Currently, the animation is ONLY able to be used while standing still.
  3. Increase the radius.
  4. Make this a channeled skill that pulses AOE damage and boon removal while you hold the sword in the ground.
  5. Multi-stab! You choose multiple ground targets and stab all of them simultaneously (or one-after the other). We don’t have tech for this yet… but it’s a possibility!
  6. ???
  7. Profit!

Most of us voted for 4!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

“The mesmer has seen adjustments in a few areas. For this update, we’re looking at improving multiple traits, utility skills, weapon skills, and illusions. We’ve taken a look at some of the new grandmaster traits and improved upon their original implementation. We’ve altered the scepter a bit, pushing it more toward the condition role we would like it to have. In addition, you’ll see some awesome improvements to offensive mantras and a rework of the Mimic skill, which will now copy all boons on your target to yourself.”

Let’s analyse this:

What we can hope for:

• “We’ve taken a look at some of the new grandmaster traits and improved upon their original implementation.” New Grandmaster reworked/buffed
  • “improving multiple traits, utility skills, weapon skills, and illusions” buffs I think
  • “We’ve altered the scepter a bit, pushing it more toward the condition role we would like it to have.” Scepter gets more conditions (on AA?)
  • “rework of the Mimic skill, which will now copy all boons on your target to yourself.” Mimic will copy boons of the target foe.
  • “you’ll see some awesome improvements to offensive mantras” buff. awesome is the word i wanted to hear.
Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: DiogoSilva.7089

DiogoSilva.7089

3. Increase the radius.
  6. ???
  7. Profit!

Most of us voted for 4!

Karl later said they would simply look at its radius and damage input for the time.

in Mesmer

Posted by: tetrodoxin.2134

tetrodoxin.2134

So they changed Mimic to be kinda like Arcane Thievery?
Dunno if like or not, since we already have AT. Yeah I know it’s ALL boons (and it’s not ripping them), but most of the time the three boon limit is enough (and it’s RIPPING THEM :P ). The cooldown must be really low to consider it over Arcane Thievery, imo.

Well, let’s see what else they got. At least it sounds promising on paper.

Anet hates [your class], since [other classes] got buffs while [your class] only received nerfs.

(edited by tetrodoxin.2134)

in Mesmer

skcamow.3527

New Poll:
“Will Bountiful Disillusionment and Disruptor’s Sustainment now warrant the time it takes to actually read the tooltip?”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Drarnor Kunoram.5180

Mimic+ Signet of Inspiration.

Why thank you, Mr. Guardian/Ele. My entire team would love those boons. How thoughtful of you.

Dragonbrand |Drarnor Kunoram: Charr Necro
http://www.twitch.tv/reverse830
I’m a Geeleiver

in Mesmer

Posted by: Arewn.2368

Arewn.2368

Can’t say any of these changes actually sound all that great as they’re described here. We’ll really just have to wait and see what the changes actually are.

Don’t know why they would rework mimic to copy boons instead of just slightly tweaking Arcane Thievery so that it’s more useable…
I feel they should have made it more akin to warrior’s Defiant Stance, except instead of healing damage done, you turn it into a projectile that can be fired (with a balance appropriate cap on the damage it can do).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Xaylin.1860

Xaylin.1860

I’m curious about the Mantra changes. But I really got to say: Mantras better not be the only thing which receive a recognizable change/re-work. I’m having a really bad deja-vu here.

The Mimic change sounds interesting but leaves me a bit confused. What about Arcane Thievery? As long as there is no change there those skills will be way too similar. I’m probably most excited about the Scepter changes, though. Everything else is too vague to judge or discuss. For example, changes to Phantasms could just turn out to be bug fixes and breaking something else.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Caelus.7139

Caelus.7139

No MH sword, staff, focus love….

GW2 has taught me that being a Mesmer is about..
..being a cynical forecaster.
..being a doom-monger….and being a hopeless jinxer.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Me Games Ma.8426

Me Games Ma.8426

No MH sword, staff, focus love….

Do you know?
“we’re looking at improving multiple traits, utility skills, weapon skills, and illusions”
I have hope.

Mindblossom – Sylvari – Mesmer – Jumpingpuzzler
Equinox [EqnX]
Riverside[DE]

in Mesmer

Posted by: phirefox.2568

phirefox.2568

I understand buffing Scepter, but pushing it even more into the Condition Line? It’s not like it was that bad for Condition Builds before (one easily abuseable block on a short cooldown with pretty strong application of torment, and a channeled Spell for Confusion) – i really hoped they would do something to give it some Power-Up, to make it viable for Powerbuilds as well, but i guess we will see even More PU Condis with Scepter now (<sarcasm> thanks for buffing mesmer condis further, a-net ! </sarcasm>)

Can’t imagine anything regarding their “improvements” of traits/utilites/weapons/illusions though. Probably “improvements” to make them less much of a threat towards non-mesmers :P I just hope they actually improved some of the traits/utilities/weapons for active builds, instead of further buffing things which encourage passive play.

The awesome changes to offensive Mantras sound Awesome, as long as it doesn’t lead to a new wave of Tripple-Mantra-Ultra-Heal-Phantasm-Builds in WvW. WvW is already being swarmed by PU Condi- and Phantasmmesmers, i don’t really want the few remaining Shatters or Lockdown players to switch

To Mimic: It was pretty much a niche spell, but i liked that it was “one of it’s kind”. Sure, the fact that projectiles actually hit you the first time really sucks (good luck catching a killshot! Wanna have Bolas? cope with 5s inmob then! Want to catch that stunning projectile? Well bad luck, because the stun interrupts the routine!), and the inability to stop the cast for 4 seconds (except through wasting a dodge|weaponswitch) made it subpar when fighting Conditionbunkers. Still, it had one of the most amazing SFXes in the Game (chaos shield bubble thingy and awesome pose, kitten yes!); i hope they somehow recycled it for the new version of mimic. The Effect seems nice and fit’s the name, although it’s also a bit simplistic. A bad feeling tells me there will be fixed times for the boons copyied, but that is probably just the evil realist in me coming through (-_-)*

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

I have an interesting mix of worrying that some change will break my current build which I really enjoy and starting to think about maybe experimenting with a different build.

Biggest worries:
- Scepter condition changes mean reducing it’s power damage. I’m one of probably very few people who use it as ranged power weapon (with some nice hybrid condition effects that are aided with might-stacking)
- That blink or decoy got changed (“improved”) in a way I don’t want

Hopefully we get to see more detail on Friday

in Mesmer

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

Maybe maimed the disillusioned will be buffed, and move condition builds away from PU and more towards shatter.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

I want to believe… Fingers crossed my fellow Shatterers~

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in Mesmer

Wyrden.4713

i hope they make mimic usable against ur own allys, so u can go mimic+ signet of inspiration in dungeons

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Mesmer

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

The question is: Will they fix the existing bugs? O.o

Do it. Do it. Do it.

Sigh.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kirito.9207

Kirito.9207

The anticipation is killing me already.

in Mesmer

Posted by: One Note Chord.5031

One Note Chord.5031

The question is: Will they fix the existing bugs?

Of course not. They will, however, break iwarden further.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”
Pre-launch, Colin listed things that make MMOs bad. They are all now in GW2.

in Mesmer

Posted by: phirefox.2568

phirefox.2568

wait – is that even physically possible!?

in Mesmer

Posted by: One Note Chord.5031

One Note Chord.5031

Absolutely! Right now it still attacks sometimes.

Colin Johanson: "Everyone, including casual gamers, by level 80 should have the
best statistical loot in the game. We want everyone on an equal power base.”
Pre-launch, Colin listed things that make MMOs bad. They are all now in GW2.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Miku Lawrence.6329

Miku Lawrence.6329

Absolutely! Right now it still attacks sometimes.

Next patch : Warden runs away from foes but grabs their aggro and thus breaks any possible coordination in yor party.

Snow Crows [SC]

in Mesmer

Kelthien.8593

Maybe maimed the disillusioned will be buffed, and move condition builds away from PU and more towards shatter.

I like that idea! Shatter builds still struggle in large-scale fights, but maybe that’ll receive some changes as well.

I would love to run a staff+scepter/torch condition oriented build in wvw… I like to imagine that my dream will one day come true!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kirito.9207

Kirito.9207

“weapon skills, and illusions”

Hopefully some PVE love as well!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Noooooooooooo. I love iWarden.
But everything began with a broken iZerk… but after a looooooooong period of time they “fixed” him, after they broke him even more with the first and second fix…
Maybe iWarden has to share the same path before he can shine in new splendour.
Hummm…

in Mesmer

Posted by: MSFone.3026

MSFone.3026

I understand buffing Scepter, but pushing it even more into the Condition Line? It’s not like it was that bad for Condition Builds before (one easily abuseable block on a short cooldown with pretty strong application of torment, and a channeled Spell for Confusion) – i really hoped they would do something to give it some Power-Up, to make it viable for Powerbuilds as well, but i guess we will see even More PU Condis with Scepter now (<sarcasm> thanks for buffing mesmer condis further, a-net ! </sarcasm>)

I agree, I like scepter in hybrid or power builds and am a little bummed to see the direct dmg part nerfed.

Overall of course I’m nervous given their track record, but it sounds like a lot of attempted buffs, which at least mean they are trying to head in the right direction. I really hope shatter gets a buff out of all this. I mean condi mesmer doesn’t really need help.

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

Is it just me or is this actually a big nerf coming on…?

Improving traits = reworking = nerf.
Improving utility skills = Mimic = Mimicking Arcane Thievery.
Improving weapon skills = GS3 bigger AoE and damage, more “Sword3”-like fixes, Scepter “improvement” = Nerfs and (still) unusable GS3.
Improving illusions = “GUIZ, WE FIXED WARDEN THIS TIME, WE PROMISE!” = Lies and slander.

Buffing new Grandmaster = Make unused, new GM more appealing, but still unusable. Nerf PU, hidden behind a rework. Move around and nerf Mantra traits. = Wooo…

Scepter: Will now apply conditions on 2 and 3 = Wait a minute…
Mantras: Our offensive Mantras are Mantra of Distraction and Mantra of Pain. One is working fine, the other isn’t. Probably going to get AoE damage here, which is nice but still doesn’t make it that shiny.

Mimic: inb4 maintains 4s cast or roots user or suffers from same downfalls as AT.

Still think this is going to happen: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/mesmer/Predicitions-on-Skill-Bar-for-Mesmer/first#post4256599

in Mesmer

Posted by: Noah.9654

Noah.9654

I literally just said a prayer. To Dwayna. I’m not even religious…

I’m REALLY hopefully about the new changes. This could be a really big turning point for Mesmers in PvP. Here are the things I’m really hoping for:
-AoE in offensive Mantras
-AoE in GS#3 (we all know it could be a thing ) this will give us a huge leverage against thieves and SR.
-Bug fixes. We may finally have a fix to iLeap or iWarden
-MH Pistol……A guy can dream, right? XD

“Exceed your limits, and dance.”

in Mesmer

Wyrden.4713

I’m REALLY hopefully about the new changes. This could be a really big turning point for Mesmers in PvP. Here are the things I’m really hoping for:
-AoE in GS#3 (we all know it could be a thing ) this will give us a huge leverage against thieves and SR.

so its caue of u! we mesmers r supposed to pray to lyssa, but u, just coz of u, the gods r cursing mesmers.

just my ytb channel

FeintFate~

in Mesmer

Posted by: Lana Del Rey.1873

Lana Del Rey.1873

I don’t think Mimic will “root” us. Just look at how they changed LB for rangers and thief’s Unload.
But I hope it’s going to be more interesting than just stealing all the boons…

I heard that you like the bad girls, honey, is that true?

in Mesmer

Noah.9654

so its caue of u! we mesmers r supposed to pray to lyssa, but u, just coz of u, the gods r cursing mesmers.

…oops. In my defense, I’m human so I figured I could pray to all of them xD

I’m really curious as to what changes to the illusions ANET will make.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swish.2463

Swish.2463

" For this update, we’re looking at improving "

Anet is taking a look.

this does not mean
“We have changed and it is implemented and working correctly already”

Looking means planning, no promises, to try some things.

some of those things may fall flat on their face or be broken or may not even make it at all.

“multiple”

Multiple – meaning any number greater than 1.

some of the new grandmaster traits and improved upon their original implementation

Some does not mean All. i’ll hedge my bets that Some means Disruptors Sustainment and the dueling waste of space trait. the others are not being touched.

I’ll also hedge my bets that there will only be 2 or 3 “changes” made that are not already listed above.

Anet doesn’t understand Mesmers and can’t fix them short of pulling the plug and recoding and redoing the entire class.

The above would require a lot of effort and money

its easier to let mesmers rot, a few players will leave but most will reroll and keep spending money/playing.

~Elyssion~
“Gw2, It’s still on the Table!” – Anet

in Mesmer

Posted by: redux.1502

redux.1502

THEY KITTEN LISTENED OMG
I realize it’s not set in stone but WOW they actually are taking a look at the things we have been pointing out about the class.
I know they’ve disappointed in the past, but I’m kitten excited!
:)

in Mesmer

Esplen.3940

THEY KITTEN LISTENED OMG
I realize it’s not set in stone but WOW they actually are taking a look at the things we have been pointing out about the class.
I know they’ve disappointed in the past, but I’m kitten excited!
:)

Prepare to be disappointed and dis… excited?

in Mesmer

Noah.9654

Anet is taking a look.

this does not mean

some of those things may fall flat on their face or be broken or may not even make it at all.

“multiple”

some of the new grandmaster traits and improved upon their original implementation

Some does not mean All. i’ll hedge my bets that Some means Disruptors Sustainment and the dueling waste of space trait. the others are not being touched.

I’ll also hedge my bets that there will only be 2 or 3 “changes” made that are not already listed above.

Anet doesn’t understand Mesmers and can’t fix them short of pulling the plug and recoding and redoing the entire class.

its easier to let mesmers rot, a few players will leave but most will reroll and keep spending money/playing.

Orrrrrr we could stop being so negative? Seriously, Mesmers are only as bad as the community makes it. Its like the people who complain just can’t be happy O.o

Yes, Mesmers have bugs. Yes, Thieves generally faceroll us. Yes, we’re not the strongest call ever. However, Mesmers can be pretty good and be even better with just a little help. Look at Lord Helseth; he was a crucial member of this past tournament match against China. He took down what I assume to be China’s most skilled thief twice (although said thief did knock him down as well). I’ve seen many YouTube videos where Mesmers take out entire squadrons in WvW, carry teams in s/tPvP, and even solo dungeons. Mesmers can be good. Trust me.

I agree that ANet may not understand Mesmers, but most of us understand them and we are able to do pretty well using them. I don’t think constantly complaining about the class and being negative will make the class any better. The class doesn’t need to be redone. People just need to play it and be happy.

As for your comments about the changes, I highly doubt ANet would purposely skew their words. If they say they are going to fix ‘multiple’ things, then they are most likely going to fix multiple things, as in more than just 2. They are ‘planning’ on making the changes. I don’t know how much you would know about programming, but a big update like this would have to be in its final stages by now if not done. This means that the changes to Mesmers are most likely done.

Tl:DR—Stop complaining. You’re giving Mesmers a bad name. Be positive as changes are coming!

in Mesmer

Posted by: MSFone.3026

MSFone.3026

Anet is taking a look.

this does not mean

“multiple”

While your third to last paragraph is correct, cold beans taste great when you’re starving; I think even if they just managed to do a few minor but not totally useless (i.e. actual) buffs without any new nerfs/bugs many mesmers would be really happy.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nikku.3562

Nikku.3562

Prepare to be disappointed and dis… excited?

New GM trait – Bountiful Disappointment.

Founder of Agenda [GNDA] – an LGBT-friendly guild