Mesmer needs a 25% Mov. Speed Signet

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dog.1472

Dog.1472

Really, you guys just want mounts.

“Please, you can look down on people without having to be physically above them.
As an asura, I do this all the time.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Monoman.2068

Monoman.2068

@ ODB: Necromancers have no teleports like mesmers and have crap for mobility, so a 25% sig isn’t making them into thieves.

Oh really? No teleports like Mesmer eh?

• Summon Flesh Worm – Not only does it give you a pet that can attack, but it also gives you your own point to teleport back to. It can also be cast and then instantly teleported to to be treated as a teleport.
  • Spectral Walk – your own personal teleport … except rather than being able to also teleport others, it has 30 sec less cooldown and gives you swiftness with a base duration of 30 seconds.

Mesmer has what?

• Blink – just a 900 range teleport & stunbreaker (your worm is 1,200 range, a pet w/ range attacks, and you poison anyone at the location you ported to)
  • Portal – place it at one location, run to another location, have to be standing on the portal to portal to the other one (spectral walk you start it and move as you please … port if you want during the duration … enjoy swiftness

I’d stay they aren’t exactly the same but you definitely have things like them.

As a necromancer main, I’de gladly trade the flesh worm for your blink even if it was nerfed to a 600 range teleport. If I could transfer the life force charging abilities of spectral walk to your blink, I might also do that trade too.

Mobility changes are nothing small and mesmer is one of the classes that can be broken by such a change. I’m not too sure why you guys would want to risk it since any nerfs that would follow, will most likely spill over into other mesmer abilities broken by the speed.

Laviere – Hybrid Wellomancer
Makonne – Hybrid Regen Ranger

(edited by Monoman.2068)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

Not all classes should have access to a movement speed signet (or easy sources of permanent swiftness). Do mesmers really need this? They are quite strong and half multiple combat positioning skills available to them already. I don’t think they are really a roaming class (not in the same way a thief or a ranger are, then again I don’t understand why necros have a 25% IMS signet).

in Mesmer

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

Mobility changes are nothing small and mesmer is one of the classes that can be broken by such a change. I’m not too sure why you guys would want to risk it since any nerfs that would follow, will most likely spill over into other mesmer abilities broken by the speed.

First, we already have mobility where it matters for most balance issues: in combat.

Second, the ability that would be most effected by any OOC class speed bonus would be Portal for obvious reasons. The problem with that point is that we already have access to the most speed any class can get through buying subpar, expensive runes and using what is probably our most powerful OH weapon. So, we just have to pay more for it, can’t fit it into some of our weaker builds, and have to get to level 60 first. So all that making OOC speed more easily available through class abilities would do is create better build diversity for us (a stated goal of Anet), make it cheaper to acquire (nobody is complaining that mesmers are too rich), and make it available to poor sluggish mesmers trying to level through 1-60 (who aren’t a balance issue at all).

Not all classes should have access to a movement speed signet (or easy sources of permanent swiftness). Do mesmers really need this? They are quite strong and half multiple combat positioning skills available to them already. I don’t think they are really a roaming class (not in the same way a thief or a ranger are, then again I don’t understand why necros have a 25% IMS signet).

You raise a few good points here:

#1: Actually, yes, mesmers were described as a duelist class with lots of mobility and good for roaming during beta. However, just about everything the devs said in beta about balance was directed at sPVP, where mesmers are incredibly mobile and considered “in a good place” there. In PVE it’s less of an issue due to WPs. This seems to be a problem the devs overlooked for wvw where most of the frustration is more apparent to us. Increasing our OOC speed, at least for PVE content, would help resolve that.

#2: You are right. Several classes for which speed does not fit their theme get more OOC mobility than a mesmer, which was indeed intended as mobile class (or at least described that way during beta). That description is also one of the core reasons I champion this cause, and one of my primary disappointments with the class after spending so many hours of my life to level it (along with the multitude of bugs affecting our illusions).

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: SneakyErvin.3056

SneakyErvin.3056

Another thing people dont seem to get, atleast the ones that claim movement speed will imbalance the class in combat is the following.

Movement speed, no matter what type, only work while you travel forward. Strafe while running and you will move at base speed for OOC or IC. You must travel straight forward for the bonus to have effect. This mean that giving mesmers movement speed buffs would increase their chasing and escape abilities. Which goes perfectly in line with the philosophy behind the class, a mobile duellist.

It would be on par with the escape/chase mechanisms of the other classes. Even heavy and “immobile” classes like the warrior and necro have better escape mechanisms than the supposedly very mobile mesmer. All without giving up anything to get it.

Let Valkyries guide me to my destiny.

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

^Pretty much spot on here… We cannot catch anyone currently least of all two of the other “slow” classes… One of which has SEVERAL movement capabilities just built into weapon sets the other has a speed signet.. before that our best option to catch runners was using the phantasmal berserker to cripple them… However that is bugged out and they are crippled for less than a second… Doesnt really matter there anymore… So yes this is a glaring issue when they say they want mesmers to have some of the mobility of theives yet we can’t even match it.

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

SneakyErvin.3056

^Pretty much spot on here… We cannot catch anyone currently least of all two of the other “slow” classes… One of which has SEVERAL movement capabilities just built into weapon sets the other has a speed signet.. before that our best option to catch runners was using the phantasmal berserker to cripple them… However that is bugged out and they are crippled for less than a second… Doesnt really matter there anymore… So yes this is a glaring issue when they say they want mesmers to have some of the mobility of theives yet we can’t even match it.

Finaly another one that understand the issues. Mesmers, supposed to be mobile like the thief, still cant catch a necro thats fleeing, on of the supposed less mobile classes in game.

Mesmers are also dead in their tracks if they try and flee, also versus the so called less mobile classes. Warrior is probably one of the most mobile and deadly with the right spec, infinite dodges, perma swiftness and perma fury. And he didnt even have to bother with getting his swiftness perma, since it came with the spec.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Henrik.7560

Henrik.7560

I must say mesmers struggle with speed, but if your a zergling in wvw mode alot, just go 30 in chaos, use signet of midghtnit, superior rune of water and monk, and major rune of water, and use chocolate omnomberry creams, thats a lot of work, but for some reason it gives ur 10 second swiftness 23 + 1/2 seconds lol on the focus, and not just swiftness, every boon.
but come on, if you aren’t giving us 25% speed signet, at least improve signet of midnight to +20% or +25%

Arcane Bastion [AB]
Elementalist Mesmer Ranger
Sea of Sorrows

in Mesmer

Posted by: xizod.9513

xizod.9513

If a Mesmer wants speed up, go full centaur runes, or boon duration spec+focus.
But the thing is we don’t want use the same runes and same spec/wep.

in Mesmer

Posted by: jportell.2197

jportell.2197

The thing is we have to spec into a very specialized rune set making us only have certain builds… Which is why we feel that we have a limited number of builds… Other professions can build exactly how they want… And just swap a signet out… That’s it… Don’t you see why we have an issue with this?

Johnny The Gray
GASM’s Bunker Mesmer

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ramiah.5648

Ramiah.5648

Ya know, this actually would solve the problem. We are, by a rather large margin, the slowest out of combat profession. Some say guardians are slow, but mine has almost permanent swiftness with a staff and a single trait.
Not sure why some people say it would make us overpowered to move faster, as we would almost never want to take a movement increase over another ability. A signet is a perfect idea, since almost no one would give up blink, or any of our other utilities, just to move a little faster in combat.
We don’t want to be overpowered speed-junkies. We just want to explore a little faster or keep up with our friends or the herd in Wv3 without having to give up all of our rune slots. No one else has to pay that price so why should we?

Thy faithful servant asketh for thy blessing. Honor us with the splendor of thy song.
Protect us… Holy Song!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Just like mesmers should be balanced to the same degree of out of combat movement speed. Especially since exactly nobody would be negatively affected by that change.

Yet if you change a signet for it, there are negative effects.

If you want balanced out of combat speed, buff the OOC speedbonus by 25%, then make it completely nonstacking. Same OOC runspeed for everyone.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Justine.6351

Justine.6351

Why would I sack utility for 25% speed when I can just use temporal curtain? The reason I love my focus in wvw is for pulling people and also reflect, two very big advantages there.

They could consider fixing the swords leap and making it 1200 range so we have a chance at catching runners.

(edited by Justine.6351)

in Mesmer

Posted by: pwnreaper.4983

pwnreaper.4983

No you do not.
The Mesmer like the Warrior and the Guardian aren’t meant to have a 25% Movement Speed increase.
I play a Mesmer for my Main and even I know the only thing making us not Godlike in Pvp is that we can be caught.
If you learn to play the Mesmer properly and not make it super obvious which clone is the real one (Ie By blending in and not being the only body in the back) Then you won’t need the movement speed increase
Giving mesmers a speed increase would just wreck what little pvp balance we still have

in Mesmer

SneakyErvin.3056

No you do not.
The Mesmer like the Warrior and the Guardian aren’t meant to have a 25% Movement Speed increase.
I play a Mesmer for my Main and even I know the only thing making us not Godlike in Pvp is that we can be caught.
If you learn to play the Mesmer properly and not make it super obvious which clone is the real one (Ie By blending in and not being the only body in the back) Then you won’t need the movement speed increase
Giving mesmers a speed increase would just wreck what little pvp balance we still have

Still both guardian and warrior are very easy to obtain perma swiftness with or close to it without giving up anything vital. It’s also not for combat we want speed, its for roaming. As I said before, movement speed bonuses only apply when you run straight forward i.e no strafing or backpeddaling.

It would even out the escape and catch mechanisms for all classes, seeing as mesmer is the only one lacking on the speedfront. Mesmers have horrible cripples, one with extremly short range, they also only really cater to DD specs. Condi specs have no real cripple and give up even more than DD specs to get perma swiftness.

Sure as someone said the pull on F#4 is nice in WvW, but thats not what we are arguing. But many players dont want that ability nor the phantasm, but are stuck with these because its the only means for mesmers to get perma swiftness. Yes yes, centaur runes woohoo… they are a horrible choise since you might end up in combat without a heal, and no, no other class is forced to waste their heal in such a way. And having to waste a heal in such a way is very imbalanced seeing as how all classes only have one major heal, so it should be an open choise.

No one is saying that we should remove the focus options for those that like it, we just want another option for us that want to run another type of DD spec or a condition spec. Just like most every other class, there is more than one option for perma speed.

Except for the thief who only has the signet.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iruwen.3164

Iruwen.3164

Why would I sack utility for 25% speed when I can just use temporal curtain? The reason I love my focus in wvw is for pulling people and also reflect, two very big advantages there.

Well and I want to use the torch because it fits my condition build, so what? If there was an easy and quick way to switch weapons, fine for me. But as it is now it’s way easier to switch a utility skill (signet). Also, if I enter combat and cannot switch any more, I’m not as screwed with a wrong utility as I cam with the wrong weapon.

Iruwen Evillan, Human Mesmer on Drakkar Lake

in Mesmer

SneakyErvin.3056

Well and I want to use the torch because it fits my condition build, so what? If there was an easy and quick way to switch weapons, fine for me. But as it is now it’s way easier to switch a utility skill (signet). Also, if I enter combat and cannot switch any more, I’m not as screwed with a wrong utility as I cam with the wrong weapon.

Justine is also missing the point that none of us that want a signet option or similar for speed is asking for them to remove the uses or the builds for people that like focus.

All we want is an option for the rest of us, like almost every other class has. Especially an option for condition specced mesmers, where focus is straight out trash and there are no runes benefitting a condition spec that has swiftness duration on it or similar.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

Focus is just as viable for a condition Mesmer as it is for a Power Mesmer IMO. The Warden can inflict a lot of Bleeding with Sharper Images so it scales pretty well with condition damage.

in Mesmer

SneakyErvin.3056

If people are really dense and stand still, which most dont. There are too many variables that make iWarden a kitten poor choice for anything except a shatter spec really. He is just too static, he doesnt even move after his initial summoning.

Dont forget you must more or less spend 20 points to get the focus to an acceptable cd and a secondary use, along with atleast 40% swiftness duration to have acceptable uptime on swiftness. 60% is the top to go since it will give you 19 sec swiftness on a 20 sec cd, avoiding the non-stack risk.

Thats alot of stats, both from traits and runes a condition spec gives up.

You either:

A) Give up dueling traits for it, meaning no bleed on crits or fury for your phantasms.
B) Give up chaos traits, leaving you more vulnerable in a attrition spec, not a smart choice. It also most likely robs you of the 5% condi from toughness traits (25 pointer)
C) You give up shatter CD+Condi damage
D) You give up a bit of all of the above.

And you give up 6 useful runes and one usful weapon (both scepter and sword are rather horrbile for a condi spec, mixed with focus its even worse, scepter+pistol can work but I’d prefer GS+Staff).

Focus is just useful for its swiftness and hilarious pull at times in WvW, but it mostly only works vs really bad players, its mindnumblingly easy to avoid.

(edited by SneakyErvin.3056)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

If people are really dense and stand still, which most dont. There are too many variables that make iWarden a kitten poor choice for anything except a shatter spec really. He is just too static, he doesnt even move after his initial summoning.

That wasn’t the point though: you implied that condition Mesmers benefit much less from the Focus than Power Mesmers do. The problem you mentioned here applies just as much to Power Mesmers.

I’d actually say condition Mesmers are better suited for the Focus, because 1. condition Mesmers are heavily reliant on the Staff, so what you use for your other set (in terms of DPS) is not particularly important; and 2. condition Mesmers have problems catching runners, and Temporal Curtain helps with that.

Power Mesmers on the other hand essentially sacrifice a Phantasm (which condition Mesmers don’t care much about) if they use the Focus.

(edited by Embolism.8106)

in Mesmer

Iruwen.3164

As a confusion mesmer, my crit rate is ~30 percent at best and I’m not using the sharper images or phantasmal fury trait at all. Considering the fact that the warden is completely stationary and will likely die or not hit at all, I’d rather use the duelist to stack bleedings with sharper images or confusion with an ethereal field if I wasn’t forced to use the focus for swiftness.

in Mesmer

Posted by: ikew.7541

ikew.7541

Well i am using Rune of the centaur with mantra of recovery,not having any speed problems!

in Mesmer

SneakyErvin.3056

That wasn’t the point though: you implied that condition Mesmers benefit much less from the Focus than Power Mesmers do. The problem you mentioned here applies just as much to Power Mesmers.

I’d actually say condition Mesmers are better suited for the Focus, because 1. condition Mesmers are heavily reliant on the Staff, so what you use for your other set (in terms of DPS) is not particularly important; and 2. condition Mesmers have problems catching runners, and Temporal Curtain helps with that.

Power Mesmers on the other hand essentially sacrifice a Phantasm (which condition Mesmers don’t care much about) if they use the Focus.

Nope never said that, I said all mesmer specs besides shatter specs benefit very little from focus besides the swiftness. That means phantasm specs and condi specs of any kind.

Thing is, if you spec and build for speed, focus becomes completely pointless in a condition build anyways except for speed, since you will most likely not have bleed on crit, or you will go with low condi damage due to lack of trait points as I said.

For a power build, especially shatter, focus works ok if specced, since you can shatter the iWarden. GS+Staff is one of the best setups though for either power or condi specs. GS clones stack bleeds very fast in a condi spec, it also brings a KB and cripple. And in a power spec, you have 2 hard hitting phantasms on unspecced short cds. iWarlock can hit insanely hard, then you can shatter him for a kittenload more.

You want two good weapons as a mesmer, so when one is on CD you go to the other to pop clones or phantasms depending on spec. Focus just does nothing that cant be done better with another setup.

There is also a very limited number of MH weapons to go with focus i.e sword and scepter, neither of which are reliable clone spawners, unless you get close with sword. If they make scepter worth it, it will be good in a condi spec and a power spec, but as far as off hands go to complement it, off hand sword or pistol is just much better than focus for both condi and power specs. Duelist does good damage with power and stack bleeds like crazy with a condi spec. And then there is torch for condi specs aswell.

For condi and phatasm specs the iWarden is useless, since it wont deal much damage unless, as I said earlier, the enemy is really bad. And you need to sacrifice so much to get acceptable swiftness uptime, both through traits and runes. If the iWarden becomes a ranged phantasm or a mobile one it would be a nice tool.

I just really dislike focus, sword and scepter and hate being “forced” to use a combination of them+spec+runes to be mobile outside of combat.

(edited by SneakyErvin.3056)

in Mesmer

Posted by: datawais.7209

datawais.7209

@ ODB: Necromancers have no teleports like mesmers and have crap for mobility, so a 25% sig isn’t making them into thieves.

Oh really? No teleports like Mesmer eh?

• Summon Flesh Worm – Not only does it give you a pet that can attack, but it also gives you your own point to teleport back to. It can also be cast and then instantly teleported to to be treated as a teleport.
  • Spectral Walk – your own personal teleport … except rather than being able to also teleport others, it has 30 sec less cooldown and gives you swiftness with a base duration of 30 seconds.

Mesmer has what?

• Blink – just a 900 range teleport & stunbreaker (your worm is 1,200 range, a pet w/ range attacks, and you poison anyone at the location you ported to)
  • Portal – place it at one location, run to another location, have to be standing on the portal to portal to the other one (spectral walk you start it and move as you please … port if you want during the duration … enjoy swiftness

I’d stay they aren’t exactly the same but you definitely have things like them.

Yeah. Flesh Worm and SPectral walk work more like Portal, and you’d have to know things are going to get pear-shaped beforehand, so why enter combat at all? Necros have a themed teleport that gets them out of the fray called Death. Signet of the Locust won’t get you out of combat, and Necros really can’t escape somebody shooting them in the back.

That said, a 20-ish% speed signet for a QoL change is a mixed bag.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kamata.5762

Kamata.5762

@Dahkeus
Necro’s DO have a 25% speed signet…

Anyway..

Is it so hard for people to understand that we want the speed signet for OUT OF COMBAT and not in combat. I dont want to trait for swiftness, use centaur runes and use a focus just to be as fast as any other class that just equipped a signet or just have good swiftness stacking skills that doesnt require them to give up lots of dmg.

Ive tried to play other classes, but they are so boring comparing to my mes.. But my walking speed makes me want to jump off a cliff.

We wouldnt be OP, we wouldnt be any better than other classes, we would be just as fast OUT OF COMBAT as other classes.

in Mesmer

Gaiawolf.8261

At the very least, Compounding Celerity should changed to 10% per illusion (25% OOC), and iLeap should be modified to leap foward when you have no target.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jerrah.8256

Jerrah.8256

My sugestion is to rework Signet of Midnight:

Passive: Grants a 25% increase in movement speed.
Active: Blind nearby foes.
Blind: 3 s
Radius: 360
Range: 360

WTB this….so tired of being left in the dust even with Blink I can’t keep up.

in Mesmer

Gaiawolf.8261

@Jerrah:
This suggestion also provides a small bonus to confusion glamour builds, which typically have the hardest time getting swiftness.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Brokadocious.8743

Brokadocious.8743

Personally i do not want a 25% move speed signet. if we get one then i will feel compelled to keep it on my skill bar at all times and have one less utility skill, just like i do now with my Ranger and Ele.

in Mesmer

Gaiawolf.8261

That makes no sense. If you feel compelled to use it, there’s a reason for that, and apparently it outweighs the value of another skill you’d put there. At least you’d have a choice to use it or not despite your shaky convictions about it.

in Mesmer

Iruwen.3164

That really makes no sense. Otherwise you’d have to use a focus and sacrifice points for related traits and use runes, which is a lot worse. If swiftness isn’t important to you, don’t use the signet. And a signet can be changed easily from the main UI out of combat, also it doesn’t need any accompanying traits or boons.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swim.6830

Swim.6830

As an ex-mesmer, considering all the teleports, evasion and invlulnerability I have to say NO. This is simply not needed and if added would be simply imbalanced.

Zwim Elementalist
Consigliere
The Dragoon Brotherhood

in Mesmer

Gaiawolf.8261

As an ex-mesmer, considering all the teleports, evasion and invlulnerability I have to say NO. This is simply not needed and if added would be simply imbalanced.

Apparently you drank the wrong kool-aid. What do evasion and invulnerability have to do with out of combat traveling speed?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Sebrent.3625

Sebrent.3625

Last night:
Sebrent = Mesmer, Khann = Elementalist

Khann: I’m moving at half speed so you can barely keep up.
Sebrent: I know … and I’m using Focus, Swiftness-on-heal, and Blink.

Christian. Husband. Father. Friend. Developer. Gamer.
Try your best to not make mistakes, but, when you do make mistakes, learn from them.
Better yourself.

in Mesmer

Swim.6830

Apparently you drank the wrong kool-aid. What do evasion and invulnerability have to do with out of combat traveling speed?

It all adds up to mobility and survival which is already well above average.

Zwim Elementalist
Consigliere
The Dragoon Brotherhood

in Mesmer

Iruwen.3164

No, it isn’t. Even when traited, our mobility lacks and our survivability is en par. Funny that such a post comes from somebody playing an ele, you’re well aware of their capabilities I guess.

in Mesmer

Gaiawolf.8261

@Swim:
No, not really. Our survival can be great depending on your build, but those builds already have swiftness and/or stealth beyond what any signet would offer.

As for mobility, our class options for mobility are great, but localized only to combat and sPVP. The proposed options in this thread would do stark little for our combat and sPVP mobility, but would greatly help us keep up while traveling in WVW and PVE, which a) is hardly a balance issue, and b) is, again, already obtained by those willing to stretch for it.

The problem is we are forced to stretch so much more for something that isn’t a balance issue in the first place.

EDIT: Remember run speed ONLY affects forward movement, which means escaping, chasing down, and gap closing. Even without building for it, we can escape easily with stealth and other tactics. Chasing is a known issue for mesmers, and the sigent would do little against classes we can’t catch anyway, because they all have the same signet and better. And our close range weapons already have gap closers built in on 5 and 7s CDs (traited) anyway.

(edited by Gaiawolf.8261)

in Mesmer

Swim.6830

No, it isn’t. Even when traited, our mobility lacks and our survivability is en par. Funny that such a post comes from somebody playing an ele, you’re well aware of their capabilities I guess.

Indeed, but you seem unaware of the capabilities of the Mesmer as outlined just above. It’s like adding protection on all cantrips since they are escape and protection tools anyway…

Zwim Elementalist
Consigliere
The Dragoon Brotherhood

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kimyrielle.3826

Kimyrielle.3826

Having to dedicate one of my two weapon slots to a weapon set I don’t normally want to use (X/Focus) just to be able to keep up with my group is highly irritating (I am usually a GS/Staff mesmer). I definitely support getting a utility slot out-of-combat run skill for Mesmers. People who think it would make us too powerful seem to be forgetting that we’d still have to sacrifice one utility slot for it.

Tarnished Coast

in Mesmer

Posted by: RinKyu.4317

RinKyu.4317

And you don’t seem to understand that your harmless little OOC speed boost would be abused in combat. If Mesmers had a constant speed boost, they would be the masters of escaping, even better than Elementalists. Throw up clones, stealth and be long gone before anyone even knows where you are.

You do know that you stay in combat for as long as your clones keep damaging something, right?

in Mesmer

Posted by: ODB.6891

ODB.6891

And you don’t seem to understand that your harmless little OOC speed boost would be abused in combat. If Mesmers had a constant speed boost, they would be the masters of escaping, even better than Elementalists. Throw up clones, stealth and be long gone before anyone even knows where you are.

You do know that you stay in combat for as long as your clones keep damaging something, right?

Also, the recent stealth nerf stops stealth from getting you out of combat. Also, being in combat automatically reduces run speed..regardless of swiftness. Also, we already have the option to get swiftness….just forced to either pick a crap rune set to get it while wasting our heal at an inopportune time, or pick an offhand weapon that many do not want to use. The “nay” sayers here all seem to selectively forget these details conveniently.

I’d also like to remind that centaur runes are available for all classes. Its pretty obvious they are sub par considering no other class even uses those. That is proof enough of how crappy of an option that is for ooc movement speed. Would you burn your only real heal ability on any class…just to run faster…and possibly get caught with your heal on cool down when you need it? I think we all know the answer to that question.

in Mesmer

Posted by: KevEveryDay.8163

KevEveryDay.8163

I would love this, really bring this into game!

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

To move the topic from Mesmers to a general design issue a bit:

Is basic OOC runspeed too slow?

If yes, then we have two classes with weapon-bound access to swiftness only, and who cannot trivially keep up perma-swiftness. The other classes all follow one of two patterns:

• Have access to a +25% runspeed signet.
  • Can easily keep up Swiftness out of combat without having to dedicate a weapon to it.
    It seems the balance issue is then that OOC runspeed is inconsistent.
    Since it is already between the classes which run faster (some are at +25%, others at +33%), the solution can not be to give us a +25% Runspeed Signet. It would in fact compound the problem instead of solving it, because once we establish 175% (150% is base) as the basic OOC runspeed, the remaining 8% are even more noticable, as are class-based movement abilities. (which oddly are always ignored in these threads)

If no, then the question becomes the opposite: Too many classes have too easy access to OOC runspeed boosts, which as we established aren’t necessary. But, general persistent buff uptime is a general game issue right now! See Warrior perma-Fury.
We can probably expect this to eventually get fixed. At that point, we can also probably expect Perma-Swiftness to drop in availability, leading us to half the classes having +25% OOC boost, and the other half not having any noticeable increase (we have Blink, Warriors can charge, and so on).

Independent of choice, giving us a signet doesn’t equalize anything.
It seems the “easy way out”, but that’s not true either. Programatically speaking increasing the basic OOC runspeed from +50% to +75% and making it nonstacking (i.e.: everyone has the same OOC speed) is much easier since it only changes existent code numbers instead of needing new code.

Yet again though, that makes movement-based class abilities like Ride the Lightning and Blink unbalance OOC.

TL’DR: This is not something which can be fixed without excessive class homogenization.

In the short term, increasing and then normalizing OOC run speed for everyone is the best fix, but it’s not a proper fix. It masks an issue which is based on not all classes having different OOC utility. Runspeed is one, Portal can be another (rocks for Jumping Puzzles for example), Engineer Rifle #5 can be, but that’s little and far between compared to runspeed.

Needs… more.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Mounts already exist, they just lack the models. But mechanically they exist.

in Mesmer

Posted by: MatthewCam.4391

MatthewCam.4391

The only time movement speed has been an issue for me is when someone runs from a fight, more often than not I forfeit the badges they would give me because I know it’s not worth it, keeping up with zergs though, roaming solo, and going from point a to b in pve maps has never given me much trouble. It’s only when mesmers go up against other classes that we pale, still though with all our stealth escaping isn’t too hard.

Sea of Sorrows | Lt Mc Muffin
Don’t worry the games still in Beta.

in Mesmer

Gaiawolf.8261

Traveling in PVE is not as much of a problem due to the WPs, and in new areas you are mostly exploring. But when the call goes out for everyone to defend a tower across the map in wvw, you will know the pain when you race there and find the fight over.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Azerus.8569

Azerus.8569

I also support this. Right now it’s like we are forced to use focus and after playing other classes the msemer feels so slow.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Winds.3087

Winds.3087

Traveling in PVE is not as much of a problem due to the WPs, and in new areas you are mostly exploring. But when the call goes out for everyone to defend a tower across the map in wvw, you will know the pain when you race there and find the fight over.

But it costs 1.5 silver for WP, too much.
:E

in Mesmer

Posted by: Cjloveskat.8130

Cjloveskat.8130

if you seriously need a speed signet, then you are not using the correct utilities.. lol and NO we don’t need 1

Dev 1 : Ele’s are OP

Dev 2 : Nerf Warriors

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rand.3186

Rand.3186

The only posts here that bother me are Dogs. Why on earth do you keep comparing your elementalist to mesmer?

I have a fully decked out ele too. I think it’s completely kitten that I can stack up two minutes worth of swiftness just by running around and using a few select spells in my different attunements. Not to mention you can ride the lightning, flash, and if need be use magnetic grasp to juke someone out. Slowness debuff isnt a problem, plenty of condition removal. Eles have it better than most. As a side note, I fear no one on my ele..

Ele is the only class that is more mobile than my thief.

Stop worrying about who has the best get away. Who can run fast out of combat should not be a kitten contest.