State of the Game - Upcoming Mesmer Changes

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fay.2735

Fay.2735

________Mesmer Changes________
Mentioned during the 26/04/13’ State of the Game:

• Confusion reduced to PvP level in WvW (50%?) (Link covering Con/Ret)
  • Retaliation reduced to PvP levels in WvW? (Retaliation will be made more obvious)
  • Signet improvements – Now add 20 base, + 2 per level (Link covering Signets)
  • Clones no longer aggro enemies you haven’t already aggro’d (Link covering Clones)
  • Distortion no longer allows you to hold capture point (Link for rest)
  • Moa cast on the move
  • Moa nr 5 skill, reduced distance
  • Mantra cast reduced to 2.75 (YES!)
  • Illusion of Life cast time increase

(I think I have all points from the SotG down that is related to Mesmers please let me know if I missed anything)

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Leuddian.3057

Leuddian.3057

Thanks for compiling! Very excited for the mantra buff and maybe signets too.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ryn.6459

Ryn.6459

Confusion and retaliation nerf… That’s gonna hurt.

Learning English, any correction is very welcome.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pyroatheist.9031

Pyroatheist.9031

The retaliation nerf was (just like the last time they said they changed retaliation) unspecified and not clear. They said that it would be reduced to sPvP levels. The problem with that statement is that retaliation isn’t reduced in sPvP. So…..I’ll wait until the patch rolls out, and test retaliation as I always do.

I suspect that it was actually a mistaken statement he made. My guess is that he meant to say there will be changes made to retaliation and confusion, and the retaliation change is the visual thing, not the damage part.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Phloww.1048

Phloww.1048

Oooo, the mantra and signet caught my interest, as well as fixing that clone aggroing mobs. That means I can use Deceptive Evasion without worrying the clone going after that one mob below or above me. XD

I hope there’s more bug fixes or buffs, especially making swiftness from Temporal Curtain stack with other swiftnesses.

(edited by Phloww.1048)

in Mesmer

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

soooo what condition does a mesmer have left then?none…ty anet! oh well be looking for a new class then or a new game.

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Mesmer

Posted by: TooBz.3065

TooBz.3065

Yeah, I think the glamour mesmer is going to be hurting.

Anything I post is just the opinion of a very vocal minority of 1.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

soooo what condition does a mesmer have left then?none…ty anet! oh well be looking for a new class then or a new game.

See ya

The confusion nerf is a poor choice. It makes confusion (and glamour builds) pretty much completely useless in wvw now, since confusion does effectively no damage. That being said, mesmers are far from broken…removing 1 condition doesn’t destroy a class.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Darx.9842

Darx.9842

See ya

The confusion nerf is a poor choice. It makes confusion (and glamour builds) pretty much completely useless in wvw now, since confusion does effectively no damage. That being said, mesmers are far from broken…removing 1 condition doesn’t destroy a class.

Does not destroy a class no. But will destroy the very viable and not overpowered trait builds of many many Mesmer players. Which as a result could push players away from the class.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Midnightjade.3520

Midnightjade.3520

I just hit 80 last night on mine, and am currently running a Glamour build. Oh well, at least I get to use it over the weekend.

I’ll be heading over to Llyfay’s excellent website to pick out templates for a new build or two, good thing the class is so flexible.

Onyx: Norn Guardian 80. Queen in Tatters: Asura Mesmer 80.
[The Flameseeker Prophecies] 4/11/13
Itinerant, no guild.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Dawdler.8521

Dawdler.8521

removing 1 condition doesn’t destroy a class.

Except when that condition is one of the few real conditions the class have and part of a core build…

The other things dont sound too bad, but I think the confusion nerf will hit the Mesmer HARD (and to some degree, the engineer). I have zero condition damage (PVT) but even then, as a glamour build confusion is a vital part of doing damage. I would honestly just prefer if they altered it to work like burning or something, just add duration instead of stacking.

in Mesmer

Posted by: datawais.7209

datawais.7209

See ya

I’m just concerned about wvw viability overall, though. Mesmers don’t have a lot of enticing options for aoe. They’re doing a terrible job of making scepter a viable weapon choice as well.

in Mesmer

selan.8354

See ya

well now im being forced to buy a whole set of new armor and forced to be a shatter mesmer which i don’t wanna be.i have no more condition dmg. no nothing. now i gotta safe a ton of gold to be able to play in wvw again as confusion is worth nothing and useless like it is in pvp.sry this just ruins it for me.

[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Mesmer

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

Is the confusion and retaliation just for wvw? I would really like to be able to use a torch darn it! I hope that maybe that is being looked at with these changes so it is more useful.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

I can see the point of glamour builds being much, much less viable but standard condition/confusion builds should still have some level of viability. I think it’s going to be a matter of playing and seeing how it goes. But yeah, a day or so after the patch I think we’ll have a pretty good idea if confusion based builds are worth sticking with. Keep in mind this applies to engi’s too.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Crossplay.2067

Crossplay.2067

Is the confusion and retaliation just for wvw? I would really like to be able to use a torch darn it! I hope that maybe that is being looked at with these changes so it is more useful.

The changes won’t effect pve. That being said, they have pretty much killed confusion builds in wvw. I’m starting to wonder if they really are against zerging as they keep nerfing everything that would break up zergs.

in Mesmer

selan.8354

I can see the point of glamour builds being much, much less viable but standard condition/confusion builds should still have some level of viability. I think it’s going to be a matter of playing and seeing how it goes. But yeah, a day or so after the patch I think we’ll have a pretty good idea if confusion based builds are worth sticking with. Keep in mind this applies to engi’s too.

yeah but engis have a ton of conditions left, we don’t. mesmers have nothing left. wvw and spvp is a whole different game.is a huge difference if u fight up to 10 enemies or 70+. now i have to be a shatter mesmer.Then anet needs to give us new conditions.

[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Mesmer

Posted by: Davrollen.8935

Davrollen.8935

If they nerf it same as pvp we already know. Confusion builds are almost worthless in spvp and they will be in WvW too. If it happens I’m going to another class.

in Mesmer

Fay.2735

Since this update will make Mantras even more viable I will be revisiting my mantra build for pvp purposes and see what I can come up with. The current ones should work even better now as they stand of course (Especially the support one Panacea!) I also like that they mentioned that mantras still need some love and so it’s encouraging to know they will probably look into them more so in the future.

•— Fay Everdunes | Fay Erduna | Lilyfay (Fay.2735) — Mesmer/Revenant — [NA]FA — 8k±Hrs Played —•
Have you heard of the city? The ancient uru? Where there was power to write worlds

(edited by Fay.2735)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mogar.9216

Mogar.9216

confusion is way overpowered but they should have thrown us a bone along with the nerf.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Karmasutra.9351

Karmasutra.9351

Since this update will make Mantras even more viable I will be revisiting my mantra build for pvp purposes and see what I can come up with. The current ones should work even better now as they stand of course (Especially the support one Panacea!) I also like that they mentioned that mantras still need some love and so it’s encouraging to know they will probably look into them more so in the future.

Hmmm… 20 mesmers in a zerg with superior runes of dwayna and restorative mantras spamming mantra of pain… could be very interesting.

(edited by Karmasutra.9351)

in Mesmer

Posted by: jazzllanna.1278

jazzllanna.1278

What is 2 7/5 on the mantras cast time reduction? Sorry if that is dumb lol I cannot figure out what that means :P

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ok I Did It.2854

Ok I Did It.2854

This is what happens when Anet allowed PvE skills to be used in a PvP environment, this is going to be like GW1 all over, only this time we have a very small limited number of skills to use, with the AoE limit in place, it looks like they really want us to be running around zerg vs zerg, will be interesting to see what they do to other classes,

They should just bite the bullet now and completely separate WvW from PvE altogether.

in Mesmer

Posted by: SlimChance.6593

SlimChance.6593

So if they nerf confusion, are they going to do anything to the scepter to counter it? Its sub par now and hardly used.

With the confusion change, they’ll just make sword/x shatter builds even more prevalent.

I’ve been running a mantra setup for several months now, so I like the mantra changes. But I also like scepter, but its getting harder and harder to find a use for it.

Eccho, Echo Oread – Mesmers (Yak’s Bend)
My EchoRupt Build - Forum Post

in Mesmer

Posted by: Entropy.4732

Entropy.4732

Awful. Just awful. By nerfing confusion they destroyed the only real counter to the Zerg balls ruining WvW and weakened our class by a ton. Not to mention wasted my time. After all that grinding to get carrion armor and rabid trinkets… That’s like 80g down the drain. Now I gotta respec entirely. And ZERO changes to the traits? So glam traits are basically useless? Great. Very disappointing.

Styx Hemlock – Sylvari Mesmer – TFG – NSP

in Mesmer

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Yeah, this one change is totally going to destroy the mesmer class. RIP mesmer, you’ll be missed.

Except when that condition is one of the few real conditions the class have and part of a core build…

The other things dont sound too bad, but I think the confusion nerf will hit the Mesmer HARD (and to some degree, the engineer). I have zero condition damage (PVT) but even then, as a glamour build confusion is a vital part of doing damage. I would honestly just prefer if they altered it to work like burning or something, just add duration instead of stacking.

I don’t get it. You’re a condition memser who runs no condition damage? Why don’t you ask P/V/T necromancers how well their condition builds do? Don’t complain about something not working before you’re not even bothering to see if it works in the first place.

well now im being forced to buy a whole set of new armor and forced to be a shatter mesmer which i don’t wanna be.i have no more condition dmg. no nothing. now i gotta safe a ton of gold to be able to play in wvw again as confusion is worth nothing and useless like it is in pvp.sry this just ruins it for me.

First of all, you’re not being forced into anything. I promise you there are more viable builds for mesmer than just confusion builds. Second of all, you’re jumping to conclusions when you assume this change will make confusion builds unplayable. Third of all, I promise you you can get gear for a new build with less than “a ton of gold”. Exotics are expensive; but believe it or not, one can be very effective in WvW with less than exotics.

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

My point in my original post is that ragequitting the class and/or game is a massive overreaction to a nerf of one mechanic.

That being said, I vehemently disagree with this change to confusion. People make the argument that confusion is balanced in spvp, but ignore the issue that it is in fact useless in spvp. The reason you see no confusion builds there is that confusion damage is so low that it’s completely ignorable. Now, they’ve made this the same in wvw. They completely destroyed one set of Mesmer builds, severely damaged the strength and viability of most Mesmer condition builds, and strongly decreased the possible auxiliary damage from Mesmer shatter builds (all while claiming mesmers are in a good place in the actual Mesmer portion).

I really can’t overemphasize how bad of a move this is. Confusion used to be one of the best mechanics in gw2, because it actually punished poor play. Now, it is once again irrelevant. No one needs to care about the purple swirly because the purple swirly won’t do any damage to them. This was a horrible change, and I’m monumentally disappointed in the dev team for rolling this change out.

Just goes to show how balancing on the small, vocal, and unskilled population of this game leads to poor choices.

(edited by Pyroatheist.9031)

in Mesmer

selan.8354

Awful. Just awful. By nerfing confusion they destroyed the only real counter to the Zerg balls ruining WvW and weakened our class by a ton. Not to mention wasted my time. After all that grinding to get carrion armor and rabid trinkets… That’s like 80g down the drain. Now I gotta respec entirely. And ZERO changes to the traits? So glam traits are basically useless? Great. Very disappointing.

yeah my ascended gear is useless now and all the armor =80g is worthless now i am forced to buy new armoe with gold i dont have ty anet.Rabid armor as a mesmer is useless now!

[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Mesmer

selan.8354

My point in my original post is that ragequitting the class and/or game is a massive overreaction to a nerf of one mechanic.

That being said, I vehemently disagree with this change to confusion. People make the argument that confusion is balanced in spvp, but ignore the issue that it is in fact useless in spvp. The reason you see no confusion builds there is that confusion damage is so low that it’s completely ignorable. Now, they’ve made this the same in wvw. They completely destroyed one set of Mesmer builds, severely damaged the strength and viability of most Mesmer condition builds, and strongly decreased the possible auxiliary damage from Mesmer shatter builds (all while claiming mesmers are in a good place in the actual Mesmer portion).

I really can’t overemphasize how bad of a move this is. Confusion used to be one of the best mechanics in gw2, because it actually punished poor play. Now, it is once again irrelevant. No one needs to care about the purple swirly because the purple swirly won’t do any damage to them. This was a horrible change, and I’m monumentally disappointed in the dev team for rolling this change out.

Just goes to show how balancing on the small, vocal, and unskilled population of this game leads to poor choices.

pretty much this.i do feel like ragequitting but i love my mesmer. i spent hours and hours of getting all the gear and all the ascended gear and all for nothing as anet destroyed all that!at least give mesmers other conditions that i can build up to. a mesmer should be able to have a condition build too!seriously another 60-80 gold for new sigils, runes and armor?how is that fair?

[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Mesmer

darkace.8925

Rabid armor as a mesmer is useless now!

Care to explain to me why rabid armor is useless to mesmers?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kazhiel.8194

Kazhiel.8194

I think Pyro summed up my opinion quite well. I’m very disappointed with this change.

Jalliel [AI] – Yak’s Bend

in Mesmer

Posted by: Fuschia.6573

Fuschia.6573

Because the only real damaging conditions we will be able to apply will be Burns and Bleeds, with very limited ability to stack either on a target? AFAIK, Winds of Chaos and Sharper Images are the only methods of putting a bleed on a target, and we only have Winds of Chaos and The Prestige for Burning.

Maybe if they made it so Illusionary Elasticity affected Clones properly we’d be fine, but as it stands those simply aren’t enough methods of applying conditions to make Condition Damage a worthwhile stat.

in Mesmer

selan.8354

rabid is more for condition…which condition do we have left after confusion is useless now?most of the other builds im looking at are a complete ne set of armor,runes and sigils.

[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Mesmer

darkace.8925

Because the only real damaging conditions we will be able to apply will be Burns and Bleeds, with very limited ability to stack either on a target? AFAIK, Winds of Chaos and Sharper Images are the only methods of putting a bleed on a target, and we only have Winds of Chaos and The Prestige for Burning.

Maybe if they made it so Illusionary Elasticity affected Clones properly we’d be fine, but as it stands those simply aren’t enough methods of applying conditions to make Condition Damage a worthwhile stat.

So Confusion is being removed from the game?

in Mesmer

Fay.2735

Hmmm… 20 mesmers in a zerg with superior runes of dwayna and restorative mantras spamming mantra of pain… could be very interesting.

Restorative Mantras is already extremely effective as is with the current cast time. Have a look at Hecate Build the last video demonstrates mantra healing at a gate in WvW. This is while using a damage build not a support build (Which if you are interested in check out the Panacea Build) and with the decreased cast time you will be able to do this even more effectively (Do note that the heal is limited to 5 people like with most AOE). As a mesmer big into mantra builds I absolutely love this decrease in cast time.

(edited by Fay.2735)

in Mesmer

Kazhiel.8194

Yeah if they’re going to nerf confusion that much then at least make staff clones attacks bounce like trident so we have a better way of applying other conditions.

in Mesmer

Fuschia.6573

So Confusion is being removed from the game?

Yes…?

Take a look at sPvP. Confusion simply isn’t used there, because it is terrible. Will it still deal damage? Yeah, sure. Will that damage amount to anything? No, it will not.

Tell me what would happen if they took Guardian’s Burning and reduced it’s damage to half. Would you still be willing to use Condition Damage gear on a Guardian?

(Not that you should use Condition Damage gear on a Guardian, but it’s a solid example since that is their main condition as Confusion is ours.)

(edited by Fuschia.6573)

in Mesmer

Posted by: sephire.7296

sephire.7296

I don’t have any +ConditionDamage yet my Confusion does huge amounts of damage. That’s clearly not right. Blanket reducing it to 50% damage would punish those who do spec +CD too much though, imo the scaling/+CD contribution needs to be changed, so that the damage is very punishing for those who have high +CD and negligible for those like me who have 0 +CD.

Sephire Blackrose
- A crummy Mesmer on Piken Square

in Mesmer

Pyroatheist.9031

I don’t have any ConditionDamage yet my Confusion does huge amounts of damage. That’s clearly not right. Blanket reducing it to 50% damage would punish those who do spec +CD too much though, imo the scaling/CD contribution needs to be changed, so that the damage is very punishing for those who have high +CD and negligible for those like me who have 0 +CD.

Now this is a nerf that actually makes sense.

in Mesmer

Fuschia.6573

I don’t have any ConditionDamage yet my Confusion does huge amounts of damage. That’s clearly not right. Blanket reducing it to 50% damage would punish those who do spec +CD too much though, imo the scaling/CD contribution needs to be changed, so that the damage is very punishing for those who have high +CD and negligible for those like me who have 0 +CD.

Now this is a nerf that actually makes sense.

I was about to say basically this, but instead I’ll just quote you.

If they reduced the base but kept the scaling more or less the same I would be a very happy Mesmer.

in Mesmer

Kazhiel.8194

Edit: uh what fuchsia said

in Mesmer

Posted by: knight.8926

knight.8926

so did mantra get a 1/4 of a second reduction cd?

in Mesmer

darkace.8925

Take a look at sPvP. Confusion simply isn’t used there, because it is terrible.

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but PvP isn’t WvW. Just as WvW isn’t PvE. Not all builds are viable in all arenas; ArenaNet has stated as much. A full-on, 100% confusion-spamming build might take too long to get rolling in PvP while still being perfectly viable in WvW.

Will it still deal damage? Yeah, sure.

If this statement is true (which it is) then the statement “rabib gear is useless for mesmsers” must be false.

Will that damage amount to anything? No, it will not.

There’s a LOT of space between “it’s not as effective as it once was” and “it will amount to nothing”

Tell me what would happen if they took Guardian’s Burning and reduced it’s damage to half. Would you still be willing to use Condition Damage on a Guardian.

(Not that you should use Condition Damage on a Guardian, but it’s a solid example since that is their main condition as Confusion is ours.)

That’s not quite an apples to apples comparison. Guardian’s only dot is Burning, mesmer’s have access to three (four if you count Confusion).

I’m not trying to argue for the sake of arguing, but I think we all – deep down inside – know a nerf was called for. Whether or not this is the proper way to do it, I can’t say. Since we don’t have the full patch notes neither can you, for the time being. It may very well prove to be overkill on ANet’s part. But let’s dial back the “the end is nigh” hysteria and wait and see how things play out.

in Mesmer

knight.8926

Take a look at sPvP. Confusion simply isn’t used there, because it is terrible.

Forgive me for stating the obvious, but PvP isn’t WvW. Just as WvW isn’t PvE. Not all builds are viable in all arenas; ArenaNet has stated as much. A full-on, 100% confusion-spamming build might take too long to get rolling in PvP while still being perfectly viable in WvW.

Will it still deal damage? Yeah, sure.

If this statement is true (which it is) then the statement “rabib gear is useless for mesmsers” must be false.

Will that damage amount to anything? No, it will not.

There’s a LOT of space between “it’s not as effective as it once was” and “it will amount to nothing”

Tell me what would happen if they took Guardian’s Burning and reduced it’s damage to half. Would you still be willing to use Condition Damage on a Guardian.

(Not that you should use Condition Damage on a Guardian, but it’s a solid example since that is their main condition as Confusion is ours.)

That’s not quite an apples to apples comparison. Guardian’s only dot is Burning, mesmer’s have access to three (four if you count Confusion).

I’m not trying to argue for the sake of arguing, but I think we all – deep down inside – know a nerf was called for. Whether or not this is the proper way to do it, I can’t say. Since we don’t have the full patch notes neither can you, for the time being. It may very well prove to be overkill on ANet’s part. But let’s dial back the “the end is nigh” hysteria and wait and see how things play out.

The problem is confusion is the only viable condition a mesmer has for pvp. Bleed and fire is kittenedly unreliable. Why? Because there’s vulnerability in staff which makes stacking bleed or fire redundant

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Its funny that they haven’t even mentioned izerker fix, nice fail.

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

We have to assume they already have a fix for him, but they just don’t want to tell us. Whatever their reasons might be for that. ^^

in Mesmer

knight.8926

We have to assume they already have a fix for him, but they just don’t want to tell us. Whatever their reasons might be for that. ^^

don’t hold your breath though since this patch is from the ones who fixed confusion

in Mesmer

Posted by: station.6421

station.6421

Awful. Just awful. By nerfing confusion they destroyed the only real counter to the Zerg balls ruining WvW and weakened our class by a ton.

This. so much. Every patch it seems like they want us to be giant zergs more and more. I very VERY rarely die from confusion in WvW, and I sometimes choose to forgo condition cleanse when I’m in a zerg. When I see a large stack on me, I just run back into the zerg for 8 seconds and wait for it to drop. I run around glamours, and if I’m in one, i try my best to stay in it. It’s not that hard -_-. If anything the 33% confusion duration needed to be nerfed

in Mesmer

Posted by: morrolan.9608

morrolan.9608

Spot on, but anet have never made more subtle changes like that its always just bang an outright nerf.

BTW I can’t stomach watching the vid, do any of the participants actually raise objections to the change?

Jade Quarry [SoX]
Miranda Zero – Ele / Twitch Zero – Mes / Chargrin Soulboom – Engi
Aliera Zero – Guardian / Reaver Zero – Necro

(edited by morrolan.9608)

in Mesmer

knight.8926

Spot on, but anet have never made more subtle changes like that its always just bang an outright nerf.

BTW I can’t stomach watching the vid, do any of the participants actually raise objections to the change?

The only thing that needs nerfing are their salaries.