The Return of the Condi Mesmer?

in Mesmer

Posted by: osif.8673

osif.8673

“Enemies under Torment will take damage periodically; as they move, they’ll take even more damage. In looking to expand the condition diversity of thieves and mesmers, we decided to include Torment skills for those two professions as well.”

I’ll definitely be switching my Mesmer back to a condi specc, as it was my favorite way to play my Mesmer. Maybe this next patch will make us a reliable source of applicable condition damage again. I’m excited for the possibilities of Torment!

Miller Time – 80 Sylvari Mesmer
Not Just A Goodtime – 80 Asura Warrior
[PAXA]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

“Enemies under Torment will take damage periodically; as they move, they’ll take even more damage. In looking to expand the condition diversity of thieves and mesmers, we decided to include Torment skills for those two professions as well.”

I’ll definitely be switching my Mesmer back to a condi specc, as it was my favorite way to play my Mesmer. Maybe this next patch will make us a reliable source of applicable condition damage again. I’m excited for the possibilities of Torment!

I think i’m going to do a backflip in absolute joy at the addition of this condition, it’s like my favorite skill from Rift on my Dominator(Storm Shackles)!

If it goes onto my scepter i will be a very very happy mesmer!

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Mesmer

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

I think i’m going to do a backflip in absolute joy at the addition of this condition, it’s like my favorite skill from Rift on my Dominator(Storm Shackles)!

If I’m not mistaken that rift move was absolutely broken and OP when it first launched XD

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Mesmer

Durzlla.6295

If I’m not mistaken that rift move was absolutely broken and OP when it first launched XD

Oh it was lol, it did like 1/4th of their health bar every second they were moving, but it’s fixed now and remains to be my favorite xD

in Mesmer

Posted by: ronpierce.2760

ronpierce.2760

Oh it was lol, it did like 1/4th of their health bar every second they were moving, but it’s fixed now and remains to be my favorite xD

It is a very fun concept. I will enjoy it. But I am a LITTLE worried about thief (the best mobile class in the entire game) getting an anti movement ability. Kinda makes me nervous.

High Warlord Sikari (80 Reaper) / Lord Siekron (80 DH)
Warlord Sikari (80 Scrapper)

in Mesmer

osif.8673

It is a very fun concept. I will enjoy it. But I am a LITTLE worried about thief (the best mobile class in the entire game) getting an anti movement ability. Kinda makes me nervous.

I’m not. Condi thieves, like mesmers currently, are almost in a laughable state… which is why you don’t see very many. I think this is a good step in creating build diversity for thieves, (as well as mesmers now that they killed our confusion speccs) so you don’t just see a bunch of d/p thieves trolling around.

[PAXA]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Odaman.8359

Odaman.8359

Hope we have decent application… looking forward to dusting off the rabid gear.

Odaman 80 Mesmer
Maguuma

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Torment… hmm.

Might be fun.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Zumi.6384

Zumi.6384

kitten you Anet, you always do this! Now I’m all excited for all the changes, but I’m also afraid you’ll break something at the same time :P

Plus now I have to collect a set of condi gear.

Willowbreeze: Sylvari Mesmer
Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Curunen.8729

The stunbreak comment has me worried – I hope they leave decoy and blink alone.

Otherwise I can’t wait to see what they’ve done with the traits.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

All I’m scared of is that something’s gonna get nerfed.. hard. If I had to guess, I’m pretty sure iLeap/swap is going to lose its stunbreak application…

I’m betting we’ll see this “Torment” on either…

Scepter auto / Staff auto / Chaos Storm / Torch Phantasm.

I’d personally love to see Scepter or Staff autoattacks get a buff.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Confessor.8957

Confessor.8957

Dominator(Storm Shackles)!

Seriously, that class/soul was one of the best in mmo history. and yes ss was freaking incredible, but it also roots and snared and AOE (8) lol. also Haunting Pain which was the reverse – you had to move to survive. don’t forget Traitorous Influence. so awesome.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Iavra.8510

Iavra.8510

This new condition actually fits very nicely into the mesmer theme. We are meant to restrict our opponent and punish them for doing mistakes. Confusion does this and Torment could complement it very well.

in Mesmer

osif.8673

I would like to see it on the scepter and torch, both highly underused weapons for us. God replacing the chance of vulnerability with torment on the staff #1 would be so amazing, but I think the staff is fine as it is.

[PAXA]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

If they add Torment to Mantra of Pain.. (I mean, the dude yells “Agony, Torment, Pain!”)I will be devastated… Because that most likely means a higher cooldown.

Then again, “Agony” is also chanted.. and that’s a pseudo-condition.

in Mesmer

Zumi.6384

Wouldn’t that be hilarious? They only add the condition to a Mantra, and to balance it out, nerf all our other builds somehow lol

Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bearlin.7238

Bearlin.7238

May I ask where the quote was posted? :O

in Mesmer

Zumi.6384

Tarnished Coast [Crit]

in Mesmer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

I’m hoping it scales properly. WIth a lot of +condition damage it should be something that causes an enemy (like with retaliation) to think about whether moving or eating the next attack is better. But, it can’t be too strong without +condition damage because then it would be a free move-restrictor; especially deadly in the hands of a glass-cannon thief.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Expiatus.4210

Expiatus.4210

Torment will scale in intensity. To what degree remains to be seen.

source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/pvp/pvp/Torment

Anvil Rock – Out manned, out gunned and no repair costs, so Leeroy up and dive in.
See you in Tyria.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

Torment … nice. A total throwback to this GW1 skill: http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Weaken_Knees

It was one of the most debilitating hexes in the game and caused some serious damage if you couldn’t cleanse it. You just hoped you had a hex removal handy or a monk around to do it for you. Really curious at what the damage rates will be for torment.

Since it will stack in intensity, it reminds me a lot of confusion – punishing you for taking action. Imagine confusion with torment – can’t attack/can’t move without damage. I think that ‘could’ potentially put confusion into more relevance. Will have to see of course.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Curunen.8729

I wonder if you can stunbreak torment like with fear, or whether you have to use condition removal.

in Mesmer

Posted by: skcamow.3527

skcamow.3527

I wonder if you can stunbreak torment like with fear, or whether you have to use condition removal.

It’s a condition, per Anet in the article.

Kortham Raysplitter (Yak’s Bend)

in Mesmer

Posted by: hardloop von edgehoven.8512

hardloop von edgehoven.8512

“… Torment skills for those two professions as well.”

i can´t help but this sentence reads like: all profession but mesmer and thieve will get torment. but heres the good news at the end we decided to give mesmers and thieves the new condition too

a bit strange or not?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Richard Nixon.6573

Richard Nixon.6573

i can´t help but this sentence reads like: all profession but mesmer and thieve will get torment. but heres the good news at the end we decided to give mesmers and thieves the new condition too

a bit strange or not?

No, according to the writeup, necros were originally the only ones to get the condition, but because thief and mesmer condition builds are lacking, anet also decided to give torment to them as well.

-1-800-GUILD-WAR? They can’t have my ’Brand… I have special eyes.
-Look, look with your special eyes!
-My Dragonbrand!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Maybe they will fix izerker at the same time replacing the cripple effect with torment =) lol I kid, I kid

RIP in peace Robert

in Mesmer

Posted by: Bas.7406

Bas.7406

Confusion plus Torment = I can’t move or attack while you kill me. Woohoo! Not to mention if you are running with a guardian who throws up retal!

in Mesmer

Posted by: grimmson.9154

grimmson.9154

whhhait! a condition penalizing movement? movement important in pvp? positioning kind of the king in pvp for mesmers?
…….
profit!

edit: and suddenly 8 stacks of torment hits for 200/m…..

in Mesmer

Posted by: Entropy.4732

Entropy.4732

Finally! Some love for mesmer! Thank Grenth! I’m really hoping this goes into scepter / torch skills.

Styx Hemlock – Sylvari Mesmer – TFG – NSP

in Mesmer

Posted by: grimmson.9154

grimmson.9154

haha no way this would perhaps replace stakitten vulnerability? =)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Savant.5276

Savant.5276

Now watch …
Just watch …

Watch Torment not scale on Condition dmg at all.
Watch it scale according to Power or something else ridiculous.

I just don’t trust Anet not to giveth and taketh away.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Richard Nixon.6573

Richard Nixon.6573

Even if it does scale on condition damage, this won’t make cond mesmers viable. The only application, supposedly, is on the counter for the scepter. Which applies nothing else but confusion. Which sucks. And it only gives 3 stacks of torment. Which can be the equivilent of anywhere from 2.25 bleeds and 4.5 bleeds. The staff can maintain ~6 plus almost perma burning.

If you use the only weapon that can access it, you’ll do far less damage than you currently do. Which is already pretty crappy.

-1-800-GUILD-WAR? They can’t have my ’Brand… I have special eyes.
-Look, look with your special eyes!
-My Dragonbrand!

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

lol no. If vuln from WoC was removed and bleed or burn or confusion was added to scepter autos then something half decent could happen. You want condi roll an engi or look at nec is getting, nec will destroy da competition lol

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Mesmer

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

This new condition actually fits very nicely into the mesmer theme. We are meant to restrict our opponent and punish them for doing mistakes. Confusion does this and Torment could complement it very well.

Fear also fits nicely into the mesmer theme as well, though sadly even a condition that affects purely the mind is missing from the mesmer arsenal, doesn’t make sense to me.

Confusion plus Torment = I can’t move or attack while you kill me. Woohoo! Not to mention if you are running with a guardian who throws up retal!

Am I the only person who thought ‘torment then fear’? XD

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

Do we actually apply this with anything but Scepter #2? I understand Thieves and Mesmers will only get limited access since this will be the “Necro condition”.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nikku.3562

Nikku.3562

Really excited about this – going to start stockpiling dungeon tokens in advance so I can switch straight to a condition build if this turns out to be good!

Founder of Agenda [GNDA] – an LGBT-friendly guild

in Mesmer

Posted by: Embolism.8106

Embolism.8106

AFAIK it appears Torment is only present on one skill each for Necros, Thieves and Mesmers. All the same any move to make the Sceptre a condition damage weapon is a plus in my books, although I think the Ether Bolt chain still needs to output some condition damage. It seems like the buff to Malicious Sceptre is to compensate for this, but really; it doesn’t compensate for the lack of spammable condition application.

Another change I think that may balance this out is to make Sceptre Clones use the entire Ether Bolt chain (with Ether Clone not conjuring another Clone of course) to increase Bleeding application from Sharper Images… or just raise Sceptre Clone RoF.

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Ether Bolt is fine as power, IMO. I mean really, the way it is right now, most damage is tilted towards power due to how many stats support it. If scepter had only condition damage that’d be meh because then power builds had no ranged 1H option.

Rather, I think both swords and scepter should provide a mix of stat-scaling so that you can scale them either with Power/Precision/Expertise, or with Malice.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ethics.4519

Ethics.4519

Nothing official has been released. We have no clue what traits, weapons, skills, utilities, etc this will go on. The “leaked” patch notes could be fake, or incomplete.

RIP in peace Robert

in Mesmer

Embolism.8106

Well, let’s be honest. How many Power builds use the Sceptre, except for Phantasm builds that want that extra OP Phantasm? Okay, Phantasm builds are really popular right now but they’re a dueling gimmick (although it looks as though that may be changing). Shatter builds always use the GS or Staff with the MH Sword.

Making Illusionary Counter a Condition Damage attack would only further serve to shift it away from the Power end (and make it even less desirable: if there are people who use the Sceptre seriously in a Power build I doubt they’d continue now), putting it pretty much right in the middle of the Power – Condition Damage spectrum. Which further reinforces the idea that it’s trying to be everything and is master of nothing.

The only reason that Power and Condition builds use it is because they have no choice: it’s the only MH other than the Sword for Power builds, and it is the only weapon other than the Staff that has some Condition Damage for Condition builds.

And I think the MH Sword actually scales better off Condition Damage than the Sceptre does ATM, simply because Sword Clones are much better at inflicting Bleeding than Sceptre Clones are and Confusion is pretty lacklustre in PvP/WvW.

in Mesmer

Carighan.6758

Oh you’re right, right now that balance is completely bonkers. Not argueing that. It also smells that our condition damage depends soooo much on Sharper Images, to the point where only a handful of builds don’t take it. Meh.

in Mesmer

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

omg omg omg conditions omg!hell kitten yes!!!!ty anet!

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Mesmer

Durzlla.6295

Fear also fits nicely into the mesmer theme as well, though sadly even a condition that affects purely the mind is missing from the mesmer arsenal, doesn’t make sense to me.

Am I the only person who thought ‘torment then fear’? XD

Actually, mesmers had access to Fear on their Chaos Armor and Chaos Storm, but it was “OP” on Chaos Armor and “Useless” on Chaos Storm because they’d run out of the storm, so it was flat out removed from the former, and replaced with daze on the later.

in Mesmer

Embolism.8106

Mesmers never had Fear on Chaos Armour. The old Chaos Armour applied Regeneration or Protection on hit (casting the skill didn’t grant Protection) and inflicted the same conditions as it does now.

in Mesmer

Durzlla.6295

Mesmers never had Fear on Chaos Armour. The old Chaos Armour applied Regeneration or Protection on hit (casting the skill didn’t grant Protection) and inflicted the same conditions as it does now.

Are you sure it wasn’t on Chaos Armor too? And it always had swiftness attached to it as one of the boons (as it still does), and i knew the prot was random. shrugs may have been wrong with that, could’ve sworn it did in BE1

in Mesmer

Embolism.8106

Are you sure it wasn’t on Chaos Armor too? And it always had swiftness attached to it as one of the boons (as it still does), and i knew the prot was random. shrugs may have been wrong with that, could’ve sworn it did in BE1

Swiftness was added to replace Protection as a random proc while Protection was made to be on-cast, because people complained that Chaos Armour wasn’t “armoury” enough.

Which is stupid, that was actually a nerf (since the combo version lost Protection as a proc, and back then Illusionary Membrane had no CD); but the dim-witted masses celebrated.

The idea then was that each Staff skill took care of a group of boons and conditions (and always one more condition than boons), without overlap, and together covering all conditions and boons (except Vigour, and back then Stability wasn’t a boon). Fear and Swiftness were the domain of Chaos Storm.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Daishi.6027

Daishi.6027

Clever a-net! Leek your own notes to see how the community reacts so you can alter as you see fit and do no wrong VERY CLEVER!

“I control time and space; you can’t break free.~”
“Maybe I was the illusion all along!”

in Mesmer

Posted by: hardloop von edgehoven.8512

hardloop von edgehoven.8512

a bit strange or not?

No, according to the writeup, necros were originally the only ones to get the condition, but because thief and mesmer condition builds are lacking, anet also decided to give torment to them as well.

ah ok.

but still my paranoid brain telling me, that the massive complaints about op 1vs1 mesmers was telling anet to give him one or two counterparts. to make it a little less obvious tehy spent mesmers torment too.
but can u imagine what a necro will do with a movement relying mesmer when he gets torment and conditions? not to speak of thieves with heavy condition/movement builds. very clever.
on the other hand …it would end the idiotic screams about op 1vs1 mesmers

in Mesmer

osif.8673

I agree. If the leaked notes are true, condi mesmers still won’t be viable. Here’s to hoping they’re false! Or not complete, at least.

[PAXA]

in Mesmer

Zumi.6384

I agree. If the leaked notes are true, condi mesmers still won’t be viable. Here’s to hoping they’re false! Or not complete, at least.

Same here. I really want to be able to use PU and the Torch and not feel like I’m gimping myself.

Tarnished Coast [Crit]