What Kind of Mesmer Are You & Why?

in Mesmer

Posted by: Kirec.2394

Kirec.2394

Shatter for me. Phantasm feels bloated. Could be my experience level (2-3 weeks at 80 as a mesmer), but I always learn something when I get a good fight as a shatter build, which tells me there is tons of room under the skill ceiling. Phantasm, I either run out of options or faceroll. Haven’t tried many other builds, other than some zerg glamouring.

TL:DR – Shatter.

in Mesmer

Posted by: LordByron.8369

LordByron.8369

phantasm because i play PvE mostly nowaday.
used shatter but its really useless in pve.

GW2 balance:
A PvE player is supposed to avoid a 1-2 second 1 shotting aoe.
A WWW player is considered uncapable of avoiding a 5,75 second aoe for half his health.

in Mesmer

Posted by: DrixTrix.7168

DrixTrix.7168

Basically a shatter build there’s so much to delve into with mesmer builds its quite a pain sometimes to show the true style, anyway S/S(focus sometimes) Staff is what i use.

i also second Kirec it feels shatter has a higher potential skill ceiling however i’m not saying that the same cannot be reached with phantasms as depending on your skill, trait and weapon sets things change drastically, as we all know

in Mesmer

Posted by: Chaos Archangel.5071

Chaos Archangel.5071

UPDATED – 6/11/13

- Added another question, since some people have different builds for different situations: What do you play most?

- Merged Glamour and Condition builds since.. well.. Glamour builds use conditions for damage.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

low level

working on it though

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Mesmer

Posted by: vinceftw.5086

vinceftw.5086

Almost exclusively shatter build. I tried phantasm but it’s not fun to me, is either faceroll or a hard loss because you don’t have that many tricks. I feel like a shatter mesmer takes more skill to play. There’s always the next trick, a nuke with mind wrack, a diversion, distortion. Many options and a good mesmer knows when to use which.

My build is now 10/20/10/0/30

Elxyria – Engineer / Deluzio – Mesmer
Quickblade Vince – Thief
The Asurnator – Elementalist

in Mesmer

Posted by: Ravbek.7938

Ravbek.7938

Well I generally run:

0/20/20/20/10
0/20(sword, X)/20(?, staff)/20(?, Focus)/10 (? normally 50% shatter reset)
? means they change.

I run probably 55%PvE, 40%WvW, 5%sPvP but just can’t really be bothered to change it up all the time.

Mainly (currently) using PVT gear, just make myself hard to kill…

I generally pick the skill which I like the most,

Focus is great with the reflect traited and I can’t go anywhere without my staff.
I was a pure condition build but trying to change to a more power based build now. When I get a set of Berserker I’ll try the burst builds

Cybek – Gunnars Hold
Wipus Frequentus – www.wipus.net
Rock Paper Signet – www.rockpapershotgun.com

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Updating again in two weeks, I’m sure theres some new builds with this new patch.

in Mesmer

Posted by: takatsu.9416

takatsu.9416

I’m using a roaming defensive phantasm build? 0 20 30 20 0 haha all my traits focus on defense and self-preserving, being hard to kill, mitigating damage, stealth + boons, invuln/blocks, etc etc, but using gear and food and might for sustained strong damage over time, i’d change the runes if its purely fighting.. and mimic/veil , slot skills switched for other stuff in group setting, still needs tweaking http://tiny.cc/reimes

in Mesmer

Posted by: selan.8354

selan.8354

triforce build all the way!lots of fun to play with my guild. i hope conditions are gonna get some love soon though! i miss my glam build!

Lv 80 glamour Mesmer Triforce Mesmerpower PU mes,Lv 80 power necro
[AVTR]
Isle of Kickaspenwood

in Mesmer

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Not sure what my style would be called.. (Phantasm?)
After the last patch I “optimized” my build, but it did not change very much the way I play (ah well, I shatter way less)..
I am only playing pve..
I use gs for iZerkie and sword + focus for iWarden.
traits: 0/ 20/ 0/ 25/ 25
I boosted my phantasm with several traits and use DE.
But in my opinion my power is quite good, too (attack ~ 3000), critical chance is not that bad (~50%) and also my critical damage (55%).
I feel more effective compared to before the last patch, I think I really found a way to improve my mesmer.

As utilities I use 3 signets (inspiration, illusion, midnight) and I use Timewarp to support my group.

Maybe not the perfect setup for everyone, but I like it. :-)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Curunen.8729

Curunen.8729

Gone the 20(V, IX)/20(IV, X)/30(III, X, XII)/0/0 Sw/T + staff route now in pvp, PU power build.

Extra blink distance is unnecessary in pvp because maps are small enough, so dropped 30 from duelling, and because vengeful images is absolutely kitten (bad bad, really really bad) now I also dropped the 10 from inspiration and went all the way for cleansing conflagration.

Same point allocation as the “Hidden Fire” build, however not played as condition damage – instead focused on power/prec/crit, with vit/toughness for hard hitting blurred frenzy and decent shatters. Berserker amulet + soldier’s jewel. Sigils of fire + force (toss up between that or superior battle), melandru runes (mainly for the built in anti-FEAR).

Burst damage is nothing special, but insane survivability makes it easy to reset a fight and set up loads of “mini-bursts”.
Can and up in some stalemates – particularly with enemy mesmers.

Utilities are standard decoy and blink, and also the iDisenchanter thread has changed my mind on this guy (thank you guys in that thread!) so I use him together with the iMage – nice in pvp since a lot of fights are not stretched out over long distances and they work nicely on the cap points.

in Mesmer

Posted by: kodesh.2851

kodesh.2851

POWA MES
30/30/0/10/0.

Edit, why?: I like big crits and I cannot lie.

Sizzap – Asura Mesmer, Dragonbrand

in Mesmer

Posted by: Woljnir.7810

Woljnir.7810

I mostly WvW and PvE/dungeons, and I’m definitely going Chaos Maestro. I’m only level 16 so I have a ways to go. I’ve always been attracted to support/healing and it sounds right up my alley. My guildmates have always been better suited than me at straight dps in either dungeons or WvW/PvP (in WoW) while I was hiding or in the back healing up everyone and everything. I do miss straight healing, but I didn’t really click with any of the other support professions like Guardian or Ele. I was sold on Mesmer once I read the Chaos Maestro FAQ.

in Mesmer

Posted by: colesy.8490

colesy.8490

After the last patch I “optimized” my build, but it did not change very much the way I play (ah well, I shatter way less)..
I am only playing pve..
But in my opinion my power is quite good, too (attack ~ 3000), critical chance is not that bad (~50%) and also my critical damage (55%).
I feel more effective compared to before the last patch, I think I really found a way to improve my mesmer.

As utilities I use 3 signets (inspiration, illusion, midnight) and I use Timewarp to support my group.

Why not put 20 in domination for faster gs cooldowns?

Sanctum of Rall (NA) – [LOD] – PvE/Dungeon Phantasm Mesmer build
Morrï (Mesmer) | Serah Mahariel (Guardian) | Morrï Mahariel (Warrior)
“colesy’s on rampage today. Slaying casuals left, right and centre” – spoj

in Mesmer

Posted by: XRay.1920

XRay.1920

more or less standard 20 20 0 30 0 phantasm spec with glamour/reflect utility for pve with s/f and gs. in spvp I run a 20 20 0 0 30 shatter spec with s/s and staff or gs depending on my mood and/or map, however with 15% in illusion damage for the extra kick on my phantasms before they turn to purple butterflies, as I prefer to make use of my illusions and not shatter them asap just coz my shatters are off cd.
when it comes to wvw that I don’t do much at all as I prefer not to lag my kitten off, I use either of the above, depending on my mood~

in Mesmer

Posted by: Profano.9514

Profano.9514

Interrupt build – WvW
link

The Sleeping Bard [TSB] | The Bard, http://bit.ly/1GSrsZu

(edited by Profano.9514)

in Mesmer

Posted by: hardloop von edgehoven.8512

hardloop von edgehoven.8512

im the kind of kitten ed disoriented mesmer, whos playing a guardian or engi build now (after summer ;D )
before i was the kind of happy allroundsupportmesmer, who doesnt give a kitten about max damage or crits.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Navi.7142

Navi.7142

Why not put 20 in domination for faster gs cooldowns?

For a very long time I had it that way (before they broke the berserker), but I don’t need it anymore.
Switching to another trait line allows me more advantages than I had with the gs cd reduction trait.
And I don’t have to rely on my gs anymore, that’s the best part of it

in Mesmer

Posted by: Metallus.7690

Metallus.7690

I’ve always used the torch no matter what; I just liked the spell “The prestige”. I liked the concept of appearing, dealing damage and disappearing. Got attached to this playstyle and just recently PU got buffed, making stealth builds more viable and fun to play.

I’m currently trying out a retaliation/reflection build; here the prototype http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgAQRAsc8fl0zqp3TzqGbNJh5DE/MDmDdSFUdJF6m3A-jQyAYrBRTkCIRIyJvioxW4KiGraBTVmUlrgs3QZVIgRLAA-e
It still needs adjustments, but the base is always the same: torch. This time I tried to take advantage of the iMage’s retaliation buff, which is the only half decent thing this pitiful presence can provide. The main source of damage will be iSwordsman, while I reflect stuff back at my target.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Pied Piper.9345

Pied Piper.9345

I am only playing pve..

This is the exact same talent build I’m running. But I use staff instead of GS and go with Null zone, blink, and feedback

in Mesmer

Posted by: Samiell.1259

Samiell.1259

20(V, IX)/20(II, X)/30(IV, V, XII)/0/0. http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fgEQNArfWlwzipXUTsGb9IipH9WwBckUUavWJF42FC-jEzAINBRqTEpSA5wioxWLDS9Ns14opZw0oJVHLIbuFkdIKrCBsYNA-w

Doodling with the new prismatic skills as I saw a few others had also. This, due to the buffs, is actually very tanky. Played as full condition (Rabid gear/accessories) with loads of stealth. Load the player up then decoy for the 3rd illusion. Walk up next to em when torch is goin to go poof. Weapon swap, block, illusions out, temp curtain, phase retreat while on it for light combo/stealth. Weapon swap on them while in stealth for more poison. Only use scepter 3 if you’re in stealth. Dodge roll while in stealth for some confusion antics. Keep illusions up at all times. Only shatter for burst or interrupts.
It’s the only burst condition build I’ve seen since confusion took a dirt nap and it works very well. It is, however, ONLY a WvW build as the stealth isn’t good for other pvp and terrible for dungeons.
I’ve played pretty much every build I’ve seen people post. I suck at some and I’m pretty decent at some. I don’t ever go back to a spec cause its better. I’ll generally just work some other traits into something else and keep trying new stuff. ADHD sucks like that for me.

Black Ops supply line disruptions.

(edited by Samiell.1259)

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Bumping before update on Friday

in Mesmer

Posted by: ArmageddonAsh.6430

ArmageddonAsh.6430

I am more of a Clone spamming condition. Currently sitting at:

Domination(10): V
Dueling(0)
Chaos(25): IV and V
Inspiration(20) VI and VII

Have 15 points left to spend, just not quite sure where to spend them. I run with Scepter+Torch and Staff. Healing ability i have taken is Ether Feast as i have clones up alot during combati then have taken Mirror Images, Decoy and Feedback for the Utilities – Feedback is a MUST for ANY Mesmer running WvW and the amount of times i have been downed through Retal when using Feedback is to many to count lol

Though i am not to keen on any of the Elites i run with Mass Invis for that extra little bit of stealth. In the process of gearing up, i will be running full Undead Runes and will be going with Toughness/Condition gear though i havent decided yet what the 3rd stat will be, Power or Precision.

Damage is Meh, could be better but its the Conditions that i like. When clones die/get replaced (Scepter #1) they inflict a random condition as well as Cripple to help with kiting. Feedback is perfect for those that like to range attack

I just need to decide 100% on the the 3rd stat for the gear as well as the Sigils to use, Going with Corruption and thinking about Blood(Health steal) on Staff and Corruption and maybe Earth(bleed) on Scepter and Torch

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

UPDATED – 7/18/13

I’ll give Anet credit, our build diversity has definitely increased with the last few patches. I’m starting to wonder if Stealth & Interrupt builds should have their own category.

@ Woljnir: Happy to hear it! Any questions always feel free to shoot a PM or post in the thread.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Photoloss.4817

Photoloss.4817

I play PvE.

Ran a 0/20/25/0/25 Staff condition build since I found the GS to be awfully boring (apart from the awesome autoattack animation) and Scepter sucked hard.

I’m now trying a 0/20/0/25/25 condition+support build using Scepter+Pistol/Focus (and Staff swap) because that can adapt to use most of our utility. So far iDuelist+Feedback seems to kill faster than Staff, and the only AoE capability I lost is the cooldown on Chaos Storm and Staff illusions for shatter fodder (neither build has any reliable AoE anyway).

Standard Utilities is Ether Feast-Feedback-Nullfield-Signet (Domination for open world, Inspiration for dungeons); swap in Mantras of Recovery+Pain when running Restorative Mantras. Occasionally Blink, Decoy, other Mantras. Must test utility phantasms one day.

I’ll probably try a power/hybrid phantasm+support spec once I can afford a second armor set, thinking of Pyroatheist’s 10/10/0/30/20 zerker build or 0/20/0/25/25 with celestial armor, zerker trinkets and altruism runes.

in Mesmer

Posted by: SpiritualAwakening.5347

SpiritualAwakening.5347

Still leveling my Mesmer, in the 50’s. But I’ve found that having lots of clones up and heavy conditions works for me.
I use a Staff/Sword+Focus.
Most of my gear is Condition Damage/Power/Vitality

I like this because I tend to be by myself most of the time and I would often find myself in situations where I pulled more than I could handle. What I do now is intentionally pull 2-6 mobs and just keep moving and summoning clones. Use chaos armor, chaos storm, and blink when thing get tough. Use null field when against enemies that slow my movement down at all. What else is neat, is if I use a combo finisher leap (blink, phase retreat, Sword 3) out of an ethereal combo field (null field, chaos storm) then I get chaos armor for a few seconds.

What I don’t like about this is when I’m with a group during a dynamic event or something, I barely have time to do damage and won’t get credit for kills. I have to switch to GS or something to make sure I get credit for kills.

I’m not sure this build would fare well in PvP. I can’t back that up with any facts, it just seems like I would be killed before I was able to do anything significant.

Fun profession all in all though.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Photoloss.4817

Photoloss.4817

Still leveling my Mesmer, in the 50’s. But I’ve found that having lots of clones up and heavy conditions works for me.
I use a Staff/Sword+Focus.
Most of my gear is Condition Damage/Power/Vitality

I like this because I tend to be by myself most of the time and I would often find myself in situations where I pulled more than I could handle. What I do now is intentionally pull 2-6 mobs and just keep moving and summoning clones. Use chaos armor, chaos storm, and blink when thing get tough. Use null field when against enemies that slow my movement down at all. What else is neat, is if I use a combo finisher leap (blink, phase retreat, Sword 3) out of an ethereal combo field (null field, chaos storm) then I get chaos armor for a few seconds.

What I don’t like about this is when I’m with a group during a dynamic event or something, I barely have time to do damage and won’t get credit for kills. I have to switch to GS or something to make sure I get credit for kills.

I’m not sure this build would fare well in PvP. I can’t back that up with any facts, it just seems like I would be killed before I was able to do anything significant.

Fun profession all in all though.

Sounds like the build I used. Try full Rabid gear with Runes of the Undead, enemies in PvE don’t use many conditions so you don’t need the vitality, and the precision scales very well with Sharper Images. Your damage against buildings will be even more pitifully abysmal, but in the long run the best option is a second armor set anyway (zerker or soldier and use sword+focus/pistol against structures)

But yeah, above all Staff is insanely fun to use! Even more so if you can keep it out most of the time (as opposed to the defensive swap most people use)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swagg.9236

Swagg.9236

Interrupt Mesmer with Confusion because it actually plays like a proper GW1 Mesmer instead of a purple Elementalist.

in Mesmer

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

0/10/30/30/0 support/tank build. I’m generally inconsistent with traits but the ones i always run with are mirror of anguish, healing mantras and conditions on clone death. I dunno, i just kinda go my own speed and i’ve had the most fun playing that build in both wvw and pve.

Interrupt Mesmer with Confusion because it actually plays like a proper GW1 Mesmer instead of a purple Elementalist.

Mind if i ask for the build? I’m levelling a second mesmer and i want that mesmer to have a GW1 mesmer feel.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Surbrus.6942

Surbrus.6942

I’ve been a Shatter Mesmer ever since Beta Weekend Event 1. The moment I first discovered and played around with Illusionary Persona was when I decided that I must have this trait. I’ve heavily considered different builds, and have played around with my traits a lot… however the 20 in Duelling and 30 in Illusions has been my mainstay (it was only 15 in Duelling for clone on dodge back in beta).

I do play around with different weapon and gear sets, from conditions (confusion, staff, and/or crit bleeds), to zerkzerkzerk shatter, hybrid damage sources, and other… but yeah, that x/20/x/x/30 is always there… and I guess that makes me a Shatter Mesmer. I would really like to do an interrupt focused Mesmer though.. that seems like it would be really fun…

in Mesmer

Posted by: Rahar.9872

Rahar.9872

Hey.

I’m a Shatter Mesmer because I love the way it rewards a higher tier of play. The flexibility is great and the potential to do clutch after clutch play is there. I feel that Shatter Mesmer, as a play style, rewards know-how and careful play. A close second reason would be for the control, I suppose, as well. I enjoy controlling a fight and punishing an enemy for his slip-ups. I play mostly sPvP and WvW.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Mei Mato.5478

Mei Mato.5478

iDuelist is my condition burst, whilst my army made of explosive melee clones chases to death my targets.
It’s an hybrid build that I’ve slowly tweaked for about 2 months and now, I feel that it’s close to its “final state” . It’s based around iduelist, high QUALITY & LONG LASTING bleeding stacks and other “minor” conditions in order to cover my bleeding stacks from a purge.

Youtube Video
Build
Forum Post

(edited by Mei Mato.5478)

in Mesmer

Posted by: Swagg.9236

Swagg.9236

Mind if i ask for the build? I’m levelling a second mesmer and i want that mesmer to have a GW1 mesmer feel.

Scepter/Sword; Staff
Mirror; Null Field; Signet of Domination; Mantra of Distraction; Mass Invisibility
Rune of the Undead (6/6)
10 – II
10 – optional
20 – V; VIII
30 – VI; optional; XI

The build is a bit of a mess right now, but that’s what I use in spvp. Feel free to take it for a go. It’s pretty much just a matter of chaining interruptions, stacking 15-20 might and then blowing things up with any hard hitting skill that you have (of which there are not many with those skills and weapons). With 20 might, you can also just interrupt a guy for huge damage via Halting Strike. I’ve lately been wondering about how a greatsword would work in place of the staff, but staff is just so good.

Take it, change it and make it your own, but it really does give off a GW1 Mesmer feeling where you mostly have to wait for your enemy to make moves and then ruin those moves with well-timed skill usage.

Oh, and do not be afraid to use your healing skill as a combat weapon. Reflecting targeted, projectile-based knock-backs or half of a Static Discharge barrage is hilarious.

(edited by Swagg.9236)

in Mesmer

Posted by: castlemanic.3198

castlemanic.3198

Scepter/Sword; Staff
Mirror; Null Field; Signet of Domination; Mantra of Distraction; Mass Invisibility
Rune of the Undead (6/6)
10 – II
10 – optional
20 – V; VIII
30 – VI; optional; XI

The build is a bit of a mess right now, but that’s what I use in spvp. Feel free to take it for a go. It’s pretty much just a matter of chaining interruptions, stacking 15-20 might and then blowing things up with any hard hitting skill that you have (of which there are not many with those skills and weapons). With 20 might, you can also just interrupt a guy for huge damage via Halting Strike. I’ve lately been wondering about how a greatsword would work in place of the staff, but staff is just so good.

Take it, change it and make it your own, but it really does give off a GW1 Mesmer feeling where you mostly have to wait for your enemy to make moves and then ruin those moves with well-timed skill usage.

Oh, and do not be afraid to use your healing skill as a combat weapon. Reflecting targeted, projectile-based knock-backs or half of a Static Discharge barrage is hilarious.

Thanks a million, I’ll be sure to take your build for a go.

in Mesmer

Posted by: bobross.5034

bobross.5034

I’m a dead mesmer, because I got killed by a mesmer…since they’re so OP.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Samoleth.5012

Samoleth.5012

Currently running an OP condi build.
Why? cos i never loose, no kidding.

a random derpling

in Mesmer

Posted by: lordhelmos.7623

lordhelmos.7623

“There are things you can’t fight – acts of God. You see a zerg coming, you get out of the way. But when you’re a Phantasm Mesmer, you can finally fight the zerg. You can win.”

in Mesmer

Posted by: Deathcon.5903

Deathcon.5903

Could someone link a good glamour build for WvW? I mostly roam in WvW(Running a nice Sc/T and S/S) but need to find a build that is useful for running zergs with my Guild. I pretty much figured out the the traits should be 20/0/0/20/30 picking up anything with glamour in it but the rest of the major traits are a mystery as well as gear and weapons.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Godmoney.2048

Godmoney.2048

Fight a good CD thief with the condi removal trait. They can literally stand there and just CD repeatedly because a condi mesmer has no pressure outside of conds.

That one particular trait from thieves has kept me from runing condi in wvw for awhile now. I hate being countered that hard by 1 tactic.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Flintbrow.7985

Flintbrow.7985

I’m a gs/sw/sw mesmer with a ’zerker phantasm build. Defense consists of what little toughness comes from divinity runes+ vitality from 25 points in Inspiration. I like the excitement that stems from having to time my block while in melee and being able to dodge like crazy (vigor on crit is amazing). Do I sometimes overextend? Yes. Is it worth the repair bill? Definitely!

Neenu Waffler-Warrior for what once was the Toast-

in Mesmer

Posted by: Samoleth.5012

Samoleth.5012

Fight a good CD thief with the condi removal trait. They can literally stand there and just CD repeatedly because a condi mesmer has no pressure outside of conds.

That one particular trait from thieves has kept me from runing condi in wvw for awhile now. I hate being countered that hard by 1 tactic.

Uhmm…no?
U talking about the Remove a conditon every 3s of stealth.
Well, guess what, i’ve mained a thief for a long time and i perfectly know how that trait works (won’t spoil tho, ask me in game) and the main flaw behind that trait.
So, given that i can apply every condition (except fear) in the game with multiple stacks and in some cases i can keep up indefinitely, i think (and see) that the pressure is quite high. Even 0 10 0 30 30 elementalists with huge condition removal can’t keep up.
Major con of this build is out of combat mobility: usually i need a swiftness sharing group or focus to move around quickly, but if u don’t bother…

a random derpling

in Mesmer

Chaos Archangel.5071

Bumping for update soon.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Nubu.6148

Nubu.6148

Uhmm…no?
U talking about the Remove a conditon every 3s of stealth.
Well, guess what, i’ve mained a thief for a long time and i perfectly know how that trait works (won’t spoil tho, ask me in game) and the main flaw behind that trait.
So, given that i can apply every condition (except fear) in the game with multiple stacks and in some cases i can keep up indefinitely, i think (and see) that the pressure is quite high. Even 0 10 0 30 30 elementalists with huge condition removal can’t keep up.
Major con of this build is out of combat mobility: usually i need a swiftness sharing group or focus to move around quickly, but if u don’t bother…

U have to test the new runes. Awesome ^^ .

Nubú -Engie -Asura-
BNF-Bitte nicht füttern-
Smallscale <3 !

in Mesmer

Posted by: Carighan.6758

Carighan.6758

With the buffs I slightly redid my setup.

Running this interrupt-centric build in PvE now .
Once grouped I swap Domination II for I and Chaos II for V.
I know, I know. Pirate runes. I was young, poor, and needed the MF. Plus the +20% Might duation is actually pretty cool for that build. Swapping them out once fully happy with the spec. And I know the back piece should be Berserkers, still have to fix that.

For WvW, swapping things to this more stealth-centric setup .
That was one thing about this build, I wanted something I can use for both WvW and PvE, without having to constantly respec. Ofc it’s not perfect for either, but it works “well enough” in both situations for my taste.

The strength of heart to face oneself has been made manifest. The persona Carighan has appeared.

in Mesmer

Posted by: kaikalii.4198

kaikalii.4198

I use shatter because of the speed, mobility, big spikes, and up to 12 stacks of confusion. I usually base my build around Osicat’s Shattercat Mist. Only thing I change is I take Mirror Images instead of Portal. The best thing about it is that it is almost totally all-purpose. It has served me well in PvE, WvW, and PvP, all with the exact same build and gear.

Kaliiii (Thief) – SoS

in Mesmer

Posted by: Blood Red Arachnid.2493

Blood Red Arachnid.2493

In PVP: condi shatter build.

In PVE: still leveling, but I will probably alternate between condi shatter build and phantasms.

EDIT: kitten kitten , would help if I answered the second question.

In PVP: The reason why I use a condi shatter build is because I’ve found it to be fun to use and quite entertaining. The biggest strength that the condi mesmer had over other condi builds was that mesmers were the first class to apply all of their conditions rapidly, but with short durations. This let the mesmers power through condition cleanses, and as soon as I would see the cleanses I would shatter a burst of confusion on my opponents. The combination of glamour reflects + ethereal fields alongside of the shatters and illusionary persona would inflict anywhere from 10 to 15 stacks of confusion on my opponents, half of that being in an AoE. All of that confusion hit hard. Very hard.

Condi mesmers are also the only condition build that I’m actually satisfied running rabid with, and this makes the condi mesmer quite tanky. The other condi builds I run (thief, engineer, necromancer) benefit so much from the extra power of carrion that I could never drop it, but with the condi mesmer it is all about the procs.

In PVE: Confusion isn’t as useful in PVE, unfortunately, so I’ll be devoted mostly to staff using there. Burning, Bleeding, and spots of torment are decent enough anyway. But I have become a fan of the phantasm build for two reasons:

#1: I like low maintenance skills like phantasms. I have a guardian spirit weapon build, an engineer turret build, and a minion master necromancer, so phantasm mesmers are right up my alley.

#2: One of the biggest problems I had while making a mesmer was figuring out how to do direct damage. Other than the sword auto attack and blurred frenzy, everything felt underwhelming. Phantasms accomplish the damage I’ve always wanted mesmers to have.

I don’t have opinions. I only have facts I can’t adequately prove.

(edited by Blood Red Arachnid.2493)

in Mesmer

Posted by: gurugeorge.9857

gurugeorge.9857

I’m most fond of Shatter builds (Shattercat style) because they’re very active and fun, but I’ve been experimenting with the Blackwater style of build recently. Phantasm has just never suited me. Also, I love the Staff soooooo much, really makes me feel like a magic using class.

Up till now I’ve mostly done PvE but I’m starting to really enjoy sPvP and am also starting to get into WvW, and still trying to figure out what’s right for me in those areas.

in Mesmer

Posted by: Jarettellis.7813

Jarettellis.7813

Been experimenting with the new Perplexity runes. Came up with a nice little interrupting, stealth heavy, shatter/condition little monster. Shows promise so far, just need to find larger groups to see if its just a duelist build, or can take on more than one at a time.

Vikings with Attitude (Zerk)

in Mesmer

Posted by: eldenbri.1059

eldenbri.1059

I’m playing a phantasm build with a lot of stealth and prismatic understanding.

I picked this build because it has a lot of burst and a lot of survivability.

Playstyle is pretty simple in terms of getting phantasms out and letting them do a lot of the damage. With the bountiful interruption trait, there’s a bit of a sub-game trying to get interrupts. With the battle sigils and mirror blade, it’s possible to go above 10 might reasonably often.

The stealth makes the build very survivable.

I mostly play WvW now. The build works fine for soloing camps (on my mid-tier server) and I find I can help small groups and zergs as well.

Here’s the actual build http://bit.ly/19cwK0i