SOTG Interview: DS To Get a Unique Condition

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kitedyou.1720

Kitedyou.1720

I had mentioned an idea of a condition with reducing stacks, to remove boons from opponents. also above I mention the opposing boon, which would prevent new conditions from being applied. Hatred or Hate for the condition and Peace or Sanctuary for the boon. I’m sure I’ve thrown a few other names around in previous posts.

Personally I think that whether we like it or not, ANet are adding both the DS 5 skill and the condition, and will more likely than not, combine the two together.

Point is that the current conditions are fine, L2P, give the Necro something that makes it unique but not class defining.

Necro’s can go into death shroud…which is supposed to have a thin ethereal bridge back to the living world… Do something with that that allows the Necro to gain a heal on the living form.

The issue I have with conditions is that they are too easily cleansed, by ALL classes…

Sea of Sorrows
Tjegra: 80 Norn Necromancer
Mefitic: OTW to 80 Asura Necromancer

(edited by Kitedyou.1720)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Anchoku.8142

Anchoku.8142

More ideas!

Divinity boon gives % increase to all stats.
Dark Blessing gives % increase to offensive stats.
Shining Shield gives % increase to defensive stats.

The actual % increase should be low, like 2%, but subject to duration stacking.

Likewise, the same can be applied as a curse with % reductions.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kraag Deadsoul.2789

Kraag Deadsoul.2789

A suggestion for a new DS #5 skill that is aura-based and unique to necromancers rather than condition-based and available to other professions outside of necromancers.

If the devs want to create a new “dark-themed DoT” as they put it, more power to ’em ; simply tack it on to one of our existing skills. When it comes to adding a whole new skill for necromancers, though, please come up with something unique to the class which better supports our role as attrition fighters rather than just another condition.

So many souls, so little time. ~ Kraag Deadsoul

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tommyknocker.6089

Tommyknocker.6089

A DOT could be a putify skill that allows the necro to excrete a disease for a few seconds that when attacked in DS causes the attacker(s) to not only move as if crippled, but inflicts then with a disease that until cleansed will cause them to add a random condition (chill, poison, vulnerability) every 5 seconds. This may seem to be a bit overpowered but most classes can cleanse conditions fairly easily every 10 seconds or so, and this would make “target the weak” worthwhile to take.

As we really have no way to “get away” quickly this one ability could even the playing field a bit for us.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Teraphas.6210

Teraphas.6210

I just don’t get why people want to suggest existing things for a new condition. So much of this thread is just combine these two conditions or those two. Or sometimes even just a part of a comdition that exists already and they don’t seem to realize it. Even acid with it able to hurt inanimate really isn’t that helpful and beyond that its just existing stuff.

I applaud the boon removal ideas for at least suggesting something new, even if it should be more a skill mechanic. As a condition it really makes no sense. Why would I want to wait to remove what they have now.

The ideas for boon prevention are intriguing. I could live with it but I worry if it is enough to warrant a condition and not just a skill containing boon removal instead.

It is disheartening that my idea hasn’t seemed to garner anycomments for or against. for a dark dot that stacks its secondary effect but its damage component stays a steady amount regardless of if you have one on you or 25. The secondary component would make you more susceptible to being hit by a critical hit.

You can’t spell Slaughter without Laughter

in Necromancer

Posted by: Roscoe.9803

Roscoe.9803

How about a condition that delevels the opponent for x seconds and is stackable?

in Necromancer

Kitedyou.1720

ummm…. ok? that’s your opinion kited, also if I want to make a suggestion for something they are going to implement anyway I will? this has nothing to do with how powerful I feel the class is, which I think is fine…

Didn’t tell you to not make a suggestion Vandole… Just don’t try to tell me that ANet will not consider a poll that is getting good hits from THEIR player base, you don’t know that and nor do I.

All I am trying to do is help them make a good decision about the game’s future.

Sea of Sorrows

in Necromancer

Teraphas.6210

ummm…. ok? that’s your opinion kited, also if I want to make a suggestion for something they are going to implement anyway I will? this has nothing to do with how powerful I feel the class is, which I think is fine…

Didn’t tell you to not make a suggestion Vandole… Just don’t try to tell me that ANet will not consider a poll that is getting good hits from THEIR player base, you don’t know that and nor do I.

All I am trying to do is help them make a good decision about the game’s future.

The point is anet has said they really don’t follow polls like that as they are extremely biased. Your sampling is in no way a fair sample. Your energy is better spent getting people to come to this thread and support your idea then it is trying to get them to go to another Site that likely won’t get more then a glance from a dev/mod if that.

As for the other part. You commenting about jon’s quote does make it sound like we shouldn’t suggest anything, even if that wasn’t your intent it can come off that way

in Necromancer

Kitedyou.1720

I had a thought whilst I was sleeping for a new skill…sad, I know…

Soul Swap, Soul Siphon, Soul Search <— Just some names I came up with for it.

This is how it would work:

This would be an ability, on a 45 second timer, or there about.

When this ability is activated:

1. Your health bar (corporeal form) will be compared to the target’s health.

If they have more health (% based) than you, your corporeal form get’s a heal for the difference (max heal granted is 25% of your HP), while in DS.

If they have less health than you, your corporeal form takes damage based on the difference (% based).

2. Any conditions you have, get moved to your target, because why would you want them?

3. Any boons your target has, you steal, because why would you not want them?

4. Your target is also left with a few seconds of daze because you were just ripping their soul apart.

Sea of Sorrows

in Necromancer

Kitedyou.1720

As for the other part. You commenting about jon’s quote does make it sound like we shouldn’t suggest anything, even if that wasn’t your intent it can come off that way

I don’t know how you could possibly read between the lines enough to get that out of my comment about John’s contradiction…but okay, I’ll play along.

He stated that " we are trying to find a condition" first and then he said that they “like to keep the condies/boons low in the game so that it’s easy for players to learn”.

To me, this screams that they have no idea what they should add for a new condition; which is why they are asking for our input…

In the latter part of his statement, he says that they “like to keep the condie/boons low”; which to me means that they don’t feel too confident about adding another condition…

SO DON’T! (add another condition) is my advice to them! That is all.

On a lighter note, the poll is really getting a lot of hits, so please, get your opinion out there and VOTE! It is only a few clicks and takes a few seconds.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9QKHP8X

Sea of Sorrows

in Necromancer

Teraphas.6210

I had a thought whilst I was sleeping for a new skill…sad, I know…

Soul Swap, Soul Siphon, Soul Search <— Just some names I came up with for it.
This is how it would work:

This would be an ability, on a 45 second timer, or there about.

When this ability is activated:

1. Your health bar (corporeal form) will be compared to the target’s health.

If they have more health (% based) than you, your corporeal form get’s a heal for the difference (max heal granted is 25% of your HP), while in DS.

If they have less health than you, your corporeal form takes damage based on the difference (% based).

2. Any conditions you have, get moved to your target, because why would you want them?

3. Any boons your target has, you steal, because why would you not want them?

4. Your target is also left with a few seconds of daze because you were just ripping their soul apart.

A little majorly op. Thought the request from the devs snd the purpose of this thread is to discuss the possibilities for how a new condition could work, not the skill it would go in. not to mention i dont see amy condition in here. Even as an elite it would barely be balanced. The name soul shear seems apt.

in Necromancer

Teraphas.6210

I don’t know how you could possibly read between the lines enough to get that out of my comment about John’s contradiction…but okay, I’ll play along.

He stated that " we are trying to find a condition" first and then he said that they “like to keep the condies/boons low in the game so that it’s easy for players to learn”.

To me, this screams that they have no idea what they should add for a new condition; which is why they are asking for our input…

In the latter part of his statement, he says that they “like to keep the condie/boons low”; which to me means that they don’t feel too confident about adding another condition…

SO DON’T! (add another condition) is my advice to them! That is all.

On a lighter note, the poll is really getting a lot of hits, so please, get your opinion out there and VOTE! It is only a few clicks and takes a few seconds.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9QKHP8X

Jon didn’t contradict himself. He was saying that they keep the number of condies low by having a pool that is drawn on by all classes. So the new one needs to do the same snd be designed with several if not all classes being able to have a skill that uses it. So don’t design your suggestions so that they only make sense for the necro. That is what he was saying.

If you have seen the video you would also know they have some ideas in mind but wanted to see what the community would come up with snd how things would trend.

And no I won’t be going to your site, my opinion has a far greater chance of being heard here in the thread they asked us to use. So please quit spamming your link in nearly every post you make. Once was more than enough.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Tachenon.5270

Tachenon.5270

Keep in mind that we are trying to find a condition that can be used by multiple classes (doesn’t have to be all classes, but we like to keep the condies/boons low in the game so that it’s easy for players to learn) and something that has cool play for the caster, as well as the target.

Entropy – the target loses energy and/or suffers the effects of rapid aging. As to what the actual effects of Entropy would be – not sure. Maybe a blend of some of the existing conditions: weakness, confusion, blind, chilled, vulnerability, and crippled. Over time, paint cracks and peels, wood warps, iron rusts, cloth rots, living creatures feel old and infirm.

A necro’s version of Entropy would be some sort of energy drain, bringing the target closer to death/dissolution.

A mesmer’s version would result from, oh, say, creating a time warp (real or imagined) around the target so that the target suffers the effects of having lived/existed through several years/decades of time in an instant.

An ele’s version would be like a ‘weathering the elements’ thing, exposing the target to intense elemental extremes over a short period of time.

Anyway, that’s my idea.

The table is a fable.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Fhenrir.5297

Fhenrir.5297

make it a dot that blocks condition removal when active except for that one condition (sort of like aegis but for your conditions). This would make enemies have to use 2 cleanses to clean all the other bleeds/poisons etc they have on them which is not op in pve but makes conditions a lot more viable in pvp.

-F

in Necromancer

Posted by: Andele.1306

Andele.1306

Oh, and take 10 seconds to vote on this poll so we, the PAYING CUSTOMERS, can help ANet see what the masses want for the game!

Paying customers my kitten the only way you could have a say to complain about new implementations is if you spent 6k+ of your local currency on gems, all you paid for is a working enjoyable playable game, we mostly got it, now be happy that they are pushing out free patches pre month before is slap you with my undead rodents kitten that i refuse to summon and even if i do for some reason, i force him to suicide 3 seconds later.

Wow…you spent 6k of your currency? Was it Rupee’s?

Vote and be heard, rather than try and troll me. BTW, your troll failed terribly, all I did was laugh…no rage here! :p

No but there is a reddit post about a guy who spent that much, i think only got gems once instead of using the gold to gem trade on the mad king outfit.
Also its not trolling but actual fact, check out your local trade laws, but in general the only thing you are entitled to is the working (a actual game you can play), supported (bug fixes), fit for use (works on all comps its said to without tech difficulty for the consumer) and finished product. Every patch with additional content is as if you sat in a coffee shop and every half a hour a waitress brings you a free desert just because you got eggs, bacon, sandwitch and a hot beverage.

When life gives you lemon, ask if its from a anime or manga.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Preacher.4836

Preacher.4836

I know this will probably not be the new condition, but i think it would be an interesting idea anyway.

Hematophagy. (I could see Rangers using this also)
You are healed for X times the number of conditions on the target over the amount of time Hematophagy is on the target.

Preacher Roy-Guardian, Preacherroy-Engineer, Necro Preacher-Necromancer, Preacher Clone-Mesmer

(edited by Preacher.4836)

in Necromancer

Posted by: stof.9341

stof.9341

Got an idea for a condition that shouldn’t be too hard to make, and would work rather well for a necro.

Decay. Stacks in intensity :
- each second, decay gets a new stack of duration equal to the shortest stack on the target
- decay does no damage over time
- decay does damage equal to one burning tick when it is removed either through condition removal, through timer ending or if condition cap pushes one out

It’d not be something that needs to remain specific to necro. Can change the name for that. The trick is, this condition works amazingly well with Epidemics.

in Necromancer

Posted by: striker.3704

striker.3704

I like the idea of unique skills based on your weapon, though of course it will be based on your mainhand.
axe: summon a minion (either orrian wraith or shadow fiend) that applies vulnerability on hit as well as the new condition.
scepter: a black cloud envelopes the enemy applying poison, bleeding, and the new condition.
staff: create a mark that applies the new condition and deals direct damage.
dagger: an inverted life transfer which expends life force to deal a lot of channeled damage as well as the new condition.

I think the new condition should be a cover condition that punishes the enemy for removing it. This game is severely lacking in any sort of cover condition outside of bleeding.

D/S/R necromancer F/A/T elementalist
S/I/F engineer Z/R/D guard

in Necromancer

Teraphas.6210

I like the idea of unique skills based on your weapon, though of course it will be based on your mainhand.
axe: summon a minion (either orrian wraith or shadow fiend) that applies vulnerability on hit as well as the new condition.
scepter: a black cloud envelopes the enemy applying poison, bleeding, and the new condition.
staff: create a mark that applies the new condition and deals direct damage.
dagger: an inverted life transfer which expends life force to deal a lot of channeled damage as well as the new condition.

I think the new condition should be a cover condition that punishes the enemy for removing it. This game is severely lacking in any sort of cover condition outside of bleeding.

So builds using the drop a condition every 10 seconds skills and traits would be un desirablr. The very presence of a guardian would be distasteful to the rest of the community for fear that their light fields would trigger this ability.

Not likely to happen as it violates the philosophy of wanting to see other players h er lp you, not wanting to go away as their presence disadvantages you

in Necromancer

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

I think we should be able to choose skills on DS , create our own builds there . But never mind I hope that this new skill/ability will grant stability or some kind inviolability because fighting warriors with hammers is impossible . I spent 13 sec on the ground and I can`t move . Another idea is to have something similar to epidemic but it will spread condi and renew condis timmer .

in Necromancer

Posted by: Grubs.7810

Grubs.7810

I really think death shroud 5 should be a some sort of heal. Like a DoT leech.
if they’re going to be adamant on not giving us any means of disengaging from a fight, we should be better at sustaining ourselves. Letting death shroud soak up extra damage can only go so far. Building up enough life force just to get it torn down can be a pain in the kitten. Especially when you’re using scepter, which only has #3 for life force gain. Other classes can misdirect or run away, heal up and get back to it. Necros just have to stay and eat huge damage. I think a DoT life leech would fix a lot.

in Necromancer

Posted by: VOLTCIEAGE.3029

VOLTCIEAGE.3029

yh necros mobility is horrible and most builds are dot dmg one , so we must be able to take this whole dmg

in Necromancer

Posted by: PlasticHippo.8934

PlasticHippo.8934

right now necro’s lack vigor and any invulnerability which just makes them face tank in cloth armor which doesn’t work out at all, so how about a condition that works kind of like a reverse dodge, in which while the condition is active that target cannot deal any direct dmg

in Necromancer

Posted by: Bhawb.7408

Bhawb.7408

You mean blind?

But of Corpse – Watch us on YouTube
My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

PlasticHippo.8934

blind works for one attack only, and a lot of attacks use burst attacks at once so blind does almost nothing, not to mention on pve boss’s they are immune to blind, talking about something that sticks

in Necromancer

Posted by: Urukami.4796

Urukami.4796

I think they should call the skill hemorrhoids, it hits hard and it’s painful!

Server: Seafarer’s Rest [EU]
Main Professions: Necromancer & Revenant
Youtube Channel: http://youtube.com/MrUrukami

in Necromancer

Posted by: ammayhem.5962

ammayhem.5962

Don’t know if it’s been said yet, but I’ll throw out an idea that comes from GW1: Atrophy

Atrophy: condition; reduces a random single trait line of an enemy to 0 for X amount of time.

As I said, just a thought.

Port Sledge University [PSU]
Sorrow’s Furnace

in Necromancer

Posted by: Awelex.9627

Awelex.9627

How about strenghtening our already strong boonhate aspect?

Name: Hate
Goal: punishing boon users/appliers
Possible effects: 1. player affected takes damage for each boon on him continuously until Hate is removed.
This would force people to use there condition removals which makes it possible for necro’s to start applying our real load of conditions without fear of thembeing removed instantly. Alternitively the boon user must stop applying his boons if he wants to live and not blow his condition removals

2. affected player takes extremely heavy damage if a boon is applied to himself. This would discourage players from applying new boons. Still removable by condition cleanses so perhaps make it deal heavy damage when it is prematurely removed and make it so it is moderate duration?

Name: rot
Goal: punishing players for not removing conditions
Effect: some sort of mechanic which makes it deal increasingly heavier damage for every condition applied.

in Necromancer

PlasticHippo.8934

I like the idea of them bringing a gw1 skill back (empathy I think it was called)
adds like a 20 sec cd to the next skill used

in Necromancer

Posted by: Friikshow.8016

Friikshow.8016

I got an idea, how about a condition that prevents cleansing abilities? Call it hex. If the person affected by hex were to use a condition cleanse, the cleanse is negated and the target is dazed for 1 second and takes damage(The hex is removed once this occurs).

in Necromancer

Teraphas.6210

I got an idea, how about a condition that prevents cleansing abilities? Call it hex. If the person affected by hex were to use a condition cleanse, the cleanse is negated and the target is dazed for 1 second and takes damage(The hex is removed once this occurs).

Again this would cause you to see guardians and their light fields as an unwanted element. Goes against the main philosophy that other players should be a welcome sight not a hindrance.

Effect on removal conditions will likely never show in this game

in Necromancer

Posted by: DarnDevil IV.2143

DarnDevil IV.2143

What about a condition you would like to remove before it has been too long on you? Like a condition that just thickles when removed under 10 seconds but if left alone for too long it will chunk a great amount from your health bar.

In mathemathical terms I am talking about a condition that has an exponential damage multiplier based on time it has been on a target and the damage occurs when this condition is removed or the duration expires.

A function for the damage calculation could be f(x) = 1.5 times x cubed, the damage if removed after 2 sec would be 12, after 5 seconds 188, after 10 seconds the damage will ramp up to 1500 and after 15 seconds thiss will hit for 5k, may be too overpowered with this function but this was just an example.

(edited by DarnDevil IV.2143)

in Necromancer

Anchoku.8142

Another condition suggestion: Stamina Leach/Steal

Stamina bars of enemies within the dot are emptied and the caster recieves stamina worth extra dodges but will not regenerate hers or his stamina until the bonus stamina is used up.

in Necromancer

Anchoku.8142

Related to above is a CD timer reset (to 0) on certain or all skills. Call it corrupt timer or whatever. It would be more powerful than a stamina leach unless it works only on certain skill slots so it may be OP, especially if it precludes a heal.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Friikshow.8016

Friikshow.8016

Again this would cause you to see guardians and their light fields as an unwanted element. Goes against the main philosophy that other players should be a welcome sight not a hindrance.

Effect on removal conditions will likely never show in this game

In the first Guild Wars was a Mesmer spell where if the target were to cast an ability while under its effect, the ability would be negated and would do damage not only to them, but to all allies around them. It’s not “being a hindrance” if the Guardian has any clue what’s going on around them to know when to use the fields, and since they can see all conditions on allies near them, then it wouldn’t be too hard to pay attention to how long he’d have to wait to cast it. So classes need to put a bit more effort into timing their support abilities, I’d say that helps players learn to be helpful than a hindrance, rather than just spam heals and cleanses once they’re off cooldown.

(edited by Friikshow.8016)

in Necromancer

Posted by: Einherjar.5761

Einherjar.5761

I have in mind a very cool condition – Zombified.

A zombified character will be damaged by healing spells and skills, also boons.
Regeneration, soothing mist… etc

Anti-bunker measure to the max. Let it stack in duration to a max of 8-10 seconds.

As for the necromancer skill only, call it Undead Surge. Opponent affected is Zombified. All healing the opponent receives during its zombified state (damage, actually) is transferred to the necromancer, effectively healing the necro’s HP (not Life Force).

If removed early, Zombified will damage the cleansed X damage, based on condition damage.

I think it’s freaking awesome, the only thing I wouldnt like is that Zombie sounds very necro-ish, and having a… guardian for example cause it would be ridiculous and not lore-themed…. but meh.

SELF HEALS, SELF KILLS WOO!

in Necromancer

Posted by: Soulfaye.1063

Soulfaye.1063

i like the idea of a aoe infliction that does dmg when conditions are removed sort of counter to all the cleanses being swung about maybe do a % of dmg for each condi removed while under the effect

in Necromancer

Posted by: ArchAngel.3807

ArchAngel.3807

Don’t know if it’s been said yet, but I’ll throw out an idea that comes from GW1: Atrophy

Atrophy: condition; reduces a random single trait line of an enemy to 0 for X amount of time.

As I said, just a thought.

while i really do like this idea, i see it being over powered. mainly due to the fact that it would be rather hard to display what traits are missing(never played gw1 feel so free to correct me). not to mention how devastating it could be losing a whole trait tree.

maybe if it just removed 5 points from each tree? that way we can take away their best traits for a short period of time and they know what they’re losing(giving skilled players the ability to counter).

in Necromancer

Teraphas.6210

I have in mind a very cool condition – Zombified.

A zombified character will be damaged by healing spells and skills, also boons.
Regeneration, soothing mist… etc

Anti-bunker measure to the max. Let it stack in duration to a max of 8-10 seconds.

As for the necromancer skill only, call it Undead Surge. Opponent affected is Zombified. All healing the opponent receives during its zombified state (damage, actually) is transferred to the necromancer, effectively healing the necro’s HP (not Life Force).

If removed early, Zombified will damage the cleansed X damage, based on condition damage.

I think it’s freaking awesome, the only thing I wouldnt like is that Zombie sounds very necro-ish, and having a… guardian for example cause it would be ridiculous and not lore-themed…. but meh.

SELF HEALS, SELF KILLS WOO!

The idea itself sounds cool. Would have to tweak the skinning to make it more universal and not necro centric. Perhaps call it defile, corrupt, pollute, or something along the same lines. To make it a bit simpler it would likely be the dark dot the devs asked for whose secondary effect is any heal or boon applied causes a set amount of damage.

So it would serve as a dot that punishes you for ignoring it. Trying to out heal it would be self defeating. Not sure the boon part would make it in but the healing trigger should be fine. I only say the boons as it may cross the line of making it undesirable to have classes that share a lot of boons or in wvw or boss fights when there is a lot of blast finishers throwing out larger numbers of them.

Personally I think its borderline and could work but may be a little op if boons are let in unless the spike damage is small. Would be a delicate balance to decide on.

in Necromancer

Posted by: epandi.2748

epandi.2748

Lets get some Agony on the new slot :-D

Necropandi Simplex [EXG]
Guild Recruiter of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Desolation

in Necromancer

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

Pifil and Draehl, you just gave me an idea based on your ideas!

Decay; Reduces the duration of boons by 33%, every time the target gains a boon, they take damage. Acts like immobilize where you can’t stack the duration unless you layer them on top of one another at the end of the duration.

Question, if the boon is applied by somebody else, who is punished? Would the applier be punished (opening the window to the complaint that the applier can’t always see what conditions people have and therefore could not prepare for the damage) or would the recipient be punished (opening the argument that somebody else applied a boon that they didn’t want and just killed them)?

The other option is to only damage outgoing boons (whether on self or others), but then boons applied by friendly Guardians would not be effected and the condition becomes much less useful.

I’ve just given this condition idea more thought and I agree with what you’re alluding to that the condition might be too annoying to deal with if it damaged incoming boons.

So I suggest this instead;

Decay; Reduces boons by 33%. When a boon ends on the target, they take damage.

Synergizes well with corrupt boon and other boon stripping skills. People like Engineers who get involuntary boons will not feel like they are getting shafted rather, they are getting outplayed.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Necromancer

Posted by: Flowerpower.6795

Flowerpower.6795

Pifil and Draehl, you just gave me an idea based on your ideas!

Decay; Reduces the duration of boons by 33%, every time the target gains a boon, they take damage. Acts like immobilize where you can’t stack the duration unless you layer them on top of one another at the end of the duration.

Question, if the boon is applied by somebody else, who is punished? Would the applier be punished (opening the window to the complaint that the applier can’t always see what conditions people have and therefore could not prepare for the damage) or would the recipient be punished (opening the argument that somebody else applied a boon that they didn’t want and just killed them)?

The other option is to only damage outgoing boons (whether on self or others), but then boons applied by friendly Guardians would not be effected and the condition becomes much less useful.

I’ve just given this condition idea more thought and I agree with what you’re alluding to that the condition might be too annoying to deal with if it damaged incoming boons.

So I suggest this instead;

Decay; Reduces boons by 33%. When a boon ends on the target, they take damage.

Synergizes well with corrupt boon and other boon stripping skills. People like Engineers who get involuntary boons will not feel like they are getting shafted rather, they are getting outplayed.

I like the Idea of this Condition
The skill could look like the one on my screenshot. Maybe with better grammar and shorter description ofcourse :P
The skill should come with some noticable animation to warn opponents that they should not use their burstattack skills at this moment.
I think the ability to block an attack, even if its only every 60sec should be given to the necromancer (especially needed in pvp).

Attachments:

in Necromancer

Anchoku.8142

The topic of this thread has a number of interesting ideas. I am intrigued as to what the Arenanet developers settle upon for the new skill in Death Shroud’s empty slot and the new condition transmitted by that skill.

Please keep the creativity flowing regarding both the skill you want and a new condition but remember there are two pieces to this puzzle.

in Necromancer

Posted by: Thresher.3049

Thresher.3049

Post 1.
Really worry about what they’d ‘add’ given the amount of long term issues still floating around on necro’s that don’t work or are somehow busted and haven’t bothered fixing despite being well documented by the community since release.
(I mean really Anet, how many more videos and posts need to be made about a complete lack of vigor, stability, downed-state HP’s and functionally useless minions before it sinks in?)

Which brings me to the next point, before I contribute some ideas.
Conditions fundamentally for any class are not very good overall and in terms of actual damage, they’re utterly terrible compared to power-based damage.
Pro:
Ignore toughness and armour
Con:
They have stack limits
They can’t crit
They get cleansed all the time
They don’t last very long
They don’t do a lot of damage
They don’t scale very high

The last thing a necro needs, is another dumb, single, low damage skill that does 0.15 x Con-Damage when Y-Target touches his nose = 250pts of damage for 4 seconds on a 30sec deathshroud timer, because we’ve already got heaps of craptacularly bad and stupid ones already. Heck, I’ve pushed the boundaries of both condition damage, duration, debuffs and all-round condition utility on this class and it pales horribly compared the other side of the spectrum of power-damage, healing, buffs and condition removal.
For condition damage to work, you need BIG STACKS of conditions that get laid on thick and often.

Because this is how it works otherwise-
Pew! Yay, I’ve done 1000pts of damage to a person over 4 seconds! Gee, can’t wait for that to cycle through again sometime this encounter!
In the meantime, I will stick this 5ft long piece of metal, in your sorry rectum for about 2500pts of damage every 1.5 seconds… If I don’t like you, I’ll even use the other 4 in the same weapon tree to spike-damage you into the dirt. Oh… gee, that 1000pts of damage, I just over-healed it by 1500pts simply by adding more might to my stacks and cleared off any other conditions.
How does the dirt taste today?
That’s right, it tastes like failure.

cont…

Pinot Noir (Necromancer) Pinot Blanc (Warrior)
KnT Blackgate

in Necromancer

Posted by: Thresher.3049

Thresher.3049

Post 2.
So lets look at what we could do instead.

Condition Damage
As I mentioned, anything that will pump out lots of stacks, quickly over time = pain time. So if we are getting something that hurts other people directly, either single-target or otherwise, it needs a high cyclic turnover… given how long deathshroud doesn’t last. You’re either going to need to glob on 5 stacks a big pump of the handle or pump that handle a lot for lots of single stacks very quickly to douse your target in something they might actually notice and consider using a heal on.

Condition Utility
It might be worth finding something of a force multiplier to make use of all these little dribs and drabs of conditions that necro’s can quickly apply in small stacks of different types to leverage off-of in terms of either:
Making them last a really long time
Making them stick through a condition removal
Making them jump like herpes onto the guy next to them if cleared
Those kind of mechanics are interesting, unique and actually worthwhile if you can get your head outside of the lol-dps or spike-damage mindset and a synergy can be worked out that actually provides value to the class… and not applying some lame penalty like vulnerability, poison, bleed etc, when we use our skills (yeah, looking at you Mr Epidemic and Miss Corrupt Boon…)

Condition Control
Because not just necros use conditions, admittedly they nerfed con/dam spec mesmers into the dirt because idiots who like I mentioned earlier couldn’t press 1,1,1,1,1 anymore to win and had to consider what they where doing. No one really plays engineers, I actually saw one the other day and killed it swiftly out of pity so they could go roll a guardian quicker. Rangers…. who cares, um, maybe the odd thief left who isn’t the 2,2,2,2,1,1 winning-spec and probably classes who ended up a condition-damage spec by accident when drunk and wandering around looking for where that guy is you can respec off of for a couple of silver.
So yep, that just really leaves necro’s being the only ones left chucking conditions around and that’s pretty much because we sort of ‘have too’ as our direct, power damage and other viable options are somewhat limited by themselves.
Im thinking using the DS5 button as maybe a way of absorbing all the conditions being chucked around as a ‘capacitor’ so to speak that you could fill up and then puke all over someone or something nearby within a set period of time of it being activated.

Condition Debuff
My friends like it when I take conditions off them, usually with staff 4, but they actually want me around probably more for the fact that ‘oh hey, theres a huge group of people over there with stability charging us’, then I wreck them with a Well of Corruption… but I digress.
What I’m talking about, is a statistical debuff, a really nasty one that either lowers by a % someones Toughness+Power or Agility+Vitality, so by the time they get to you, they’re unhappy bunnies. This kind of stuff is a bit like my staff 4, no one actually notices what I do, not even the enemy most days, but they do notice the big well on the ground wrecking suckers. I’m sort of thinking a stat-debuff well, more than a wall, walls are fairly tricky and easily avoided.

my 2c

Pinot Noir (Necromancer) Pinot Blanc (Warrior)
KnT Blackgate

in Necromancer

Kitedyou.1720

make it a dot that blocks condition removal when active except for that one condition (sort of like aegis but for your conditions). This would make enemies have to use 2 cleanses to clean all the other bleeds/poisons etc they have on them which is not op in pve but makes conditions a lot more viable in pvp.

-F

+1 to this. If we are really going to have ANOTHER condition…it may well be something different than the other crap that people are suggesting.

While I like the main idea of this…I would augment it a bit.

The condition would still prevent players from removing conditions, but at the same time it would prevent the addition of boons. The duration would be low, perhaps 3 seconds or 4 at most…because with the proper spec, people could extend that tremendously.

The condition could be called “Stagnate” or something to that effect.

With a condition like this though I think it would only be fair for a mark to appear above the recipient of this condition, this would serve to notify the player of this condition being on them… Trying to find the conditions on those tiny icons is a PITA, never mind trying to monitor them while fighting.

Over powered you say? Well, there is a way to clear this condition, it would require jumping three times. This would get your body working fully again and get you out of the stagnant state so you could clear conditions and add boons again.

The re-use timer on this condition should be relatively low (perhaps 15 seconds) because there is no tie to endurance and anyone can clear it by jumping three times.

Regarding the ability that this will be tied to. ANet please create something that will allow the Necro to heal the corporeal form while in DS… It is really crazy to think that the corporeal form cannot receive heals while in DS state. Because I stated that the reuse timer should be relatively low, the heal should not be terribly huge, perhaps 2k in health as a HoT.

Also, not being able to siphon life force underwater is just a drag too…the underwater DS abilities are terribad, please take a look at those. I don’t know about other Necros out there, but I feel like a monkey; deathly afraid of water because we so terribly weak in water fights. Our Flesh Golem disappears and our DS abilities are god awful. Never mind trying to use the spear because we have terrible mobility…trident is really the only good thing we have.

Also, to digress for a moment; the poll I put up capped at 100 responses (for the free version) It was a landslide AGAINST a new condition… But whatever, apparently (according to people and infinite wisdom) ANet isn’t going to care about that.

Sea of Sorrows

(edited by Kitedyou.1720)

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

WHAT? Necromancers are one of the strongest classes underwater, hands down.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Kitedyou.1720

Heh…hard to believe with a spear that can’t hit squat because you have no mobility and DS skills that blow. I hate underwater combat (that isn’t pve). The DS skills suck, Wave of Fear and Gathering Plague are no good for solo Necros.

The g’darn Flesh Golem wilsons on you whenever you enter water, leaving you with that garbage Plague form.

The trident is the only useful weapon IMO on the Necro for underwater combat.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

Sea of Sorrows

in Necromancer

Bhawb.7408

Its not my opinion alone, behind rangers (who are broken underwater) necromancers are very powerful underwater. Tip: don’t use spear, trident + DS + condition skills make us strong underwater.

My PvP Minion Build

in Necromancer

Posted by: Kravick.4906

Kravick.4906

Heh…hard to believe with a spear that can’t hit squat because you have no mobility and DS skills that blow. I hate underwater combat (that isn’t pve). The DS skills suck, Wave of Fear and Gathering Plague are no good for solo Necros.

The g’darn Flesh Golem wilsons on you whenever you enter water, leaving you with that garbage Plague form.

The trident is the only useful weapon IMO on the Necro for underwater combat.

You have your opinion and I have mine.

No mobility? Are we even playing the same game? Necromancers actually HAVE mobility under water. Its amazing and makes me wish I had my underwater abilities on land. I actually managed to 1v3 under water with my necromancer once. Something I’ve easily achieved on land with other classes, but never necromancer.

Stuff goes here.