Ranger Changes on July 23, 2013

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Can we please get the longbow autoattack fixed now? Remove the lower tier value, move the medium value to 0-600, and the high value to 600+ please.

The greatsword autoattack also needs buffing, please. It is quite behind the mainhand sword’s autoattack by quite a bit and it’s part of the reason why it’s not being used in PvE as it’s quite a substantial damage decrease.

in Ranger

Posted by: Voltar.8574

Voltar.8574

I forsee WvW full of CotW wolves running around. I bet a lot more people are going to learn about that Easter Egg.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kasama.8941

Kasama.8941

Can we please get the longbow autoattack fixed now? Remove the lower tier value, move the medium value to 0-600, and the high value to 600+ please.

The greatsword autoattack also needs buffing, please. It is quite behind the mainhand sword’s autoattack by quite a bit and it’s part of the reason why it’s not being used in PvE as it’s quite a substantial damage decrease.

Actually, the sword and greatsword are in a great place right now, when it comes to roles. In that sword is sustained melee damage, while greatsword is burst melee damage. Improving the greatswords auto-attack, could make the sword seem useless.

80 Ranger | 80 Mesmer | 80 Thief | 80 Guardian | 40 Engineer
“The learned is happy, nature to explore. The fool is happy, that he knows no more.”
-Alexander Pope

in Ranger

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

So how many tears will fall from 100% crit mauls executed from stealth after this goes live? I predict rivers :o

The thieves will drown in their own tears!! This is going to be amazing!! It’ll be like playing Teemo in League of Legends >=D

Thieves already started a topic on ranger stealth.

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Ranger

Posted by: Khayoss.2019

Khayoss.2019

This is a great patch. Blast finisher is one of the things I have been calling for loudest. One blast finisher is not enough I don’t think considering how much synergy with other players we give up to synergize with the pet, but it’s a really great start.

Longbow changes are awesome, I’m happy to try them out and might even whip out my power build gear for a while again.

Remorseless change is good, I guess, but I still have major issue with that entire line of minor traits in the Power skills tree. I think it’s subpar when compared to other classes, and if you DON’T take remorseless I think they are completely worthless. I won’t stop campaigning to see that Power line completely re-done, but overall this is a really excellent patch.

Khayoss / Khayotica / Mistasia
Ehmry Bay – The Rally Bot Vortex [VOID]

in Ranger

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

Read the 3rd attack on Greatsword and you’ll realize why its damage doesn’t need an increase. You’re evading 1/2 the time you’re auto-attacking.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

Read the 3rd attack on Greatsword and you’ll realize why its damage doesn’t need an increase. You’re evading 1/2 the time you’re auto-attacking.

This doesn’t matter on PvE. You don’t need it.

So unless you want to make the greatsword a pvp-only weapon, the greatsword needs a sustained damage increase.

And it’s not like it will replace mainhand sword because mainhand sword now brings our only blast finisher, our only long access to fury, might and swiftness, and a ranged heavy damage attack.

in Ranger

Posted by: Cuchullain.3104

Cuchullain.3104

Among other benefits the stealth on hunters also let’s you cast the beginning of barrage without detection.

Now if I can just fire a barrage at a zerg without taking 4 to 10k damage from retaliation…

in Ranger

Posted by: Expiatus.4210

Expiatus.4210

Great updates. I near thought it was a joke when I read stealth. Had to read it a couple of times and the Remorseless Strikes just makes it sweeter.
And Blast finisher!!! Now rangers can hide in keeps with a thief or engi and combo filed stealth. Then after the keep resets, pull out the bears and start tanking the npcs for a quick recap. Ahhhh yeah.

Anvil Rock – Out manned, out gunned and no repair costs, so Leeroy up and dive in.
See you in Tyria.

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.8367

Ryan.8367

Time to dust off the Azureflame and my corrupted warhorn

Tanbin 80 Ranger
Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: idevourwater.3149

idevourwater.3149

when is the patch going live?

in Ranger

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

So remove the evade in PvE, then increase the damage.

Otherwise, don’t OP stuff just because it doesn’t deliver big numbers.

in Ranger

Posted by: Expiatus.4210

Expiatus.4210

Among other benefits the stealth on hunters also let’s you cast the beginning of barrage without detection.

Now if I can just fire a barrage at a zerg without taking 4 to 10k damage from retaliation…

Barrage the rear area and you can miss most of it since it tends to stack in the front. In addition, players tend to fall back when they start getting hit so they end up walking into more of it. Just one of things I do.

Anvil Rock – Out manned, out gunned and no repair costs, so Leeroy up and dive in.
See you in Tyria.

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

long range shot, rapid fire, point blank, hunter, swap to gs, maul, stun, evaid, block, maul, change back, point blank, rapid, hunter… sounds good

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

So remove the evade in PvE, then increase the damage.

Otherwise, don’t OP stuff just because it doesn’t deliver big numbers.

I’m done talking with you. Giving it a 20% increase won’t OP it any more than the greatsword autoattacks from other classes critting for 3k compared to our liittle 1.5k crits in berserker.

This is a great patch. Blast finisher is one of the things I have been calling for loudest. One blast finisher is not enough I don’t think considering how much synergy with other players we give up to synergize with the pet, but it’s a really great start.

Longbow changes are awesome, I’m happy to try them out and might even whip out my power build gear for a while again.

Remorseless change is good, I guess, but I still have major issue with that entire line of minor traits in the Power skills tree. I think it’s subpar when compared to other classes, and if you DON’T take remorseless I think they are completely worthless. I won’t stop campaigning to see that Power line completely re-done, but overall this is a really excellent patch.

I doubt people will take remorseless when it competes with the only trait that makes signets actually useful for the ranger. Beastmaster’s signets is terribly designed because you need that trait in order for the signet actives outside Renewal to be worth it at all.

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

I’d personally just remove the evade on GS in all modes.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

It would be nice if point blank shot was a blast finisher too, it would make the power more worthwhile in everyday use. Though I’m still happy for the other changes to Longbow. I’m actually not happy losing the bleed on maul, though, it makes me 100% conditionless.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

I also doubt you’ll still see many power builds run despite these changes in pvp for the single reason that ranger power builds have no way to deal with boon spam.

You’ll still be tickling guardians and eles and lyssa rune thieves with 10+ secs of prot.

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

I’d personally just remove the evade on GS in all modes.

Unless you are an ANet dev I’m perfectly fine with that.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

This is definitely an amazing buff!

It will not fix Rangers in PvE, but it’s definitely a step in the right direction. What we need now is a fix to 1h Sword, and an established niche in PvE to take Ranger over a Guardian.

in Ranger

Posted by: awe extender.1908

awe extender.1908

This is the right path Anet! Keep going :-)
I have been a loyal ranger since beta, now I finally see the light.

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Every change is awesome,i never thought that Axe offhand was a bad weapon but now its so good….Is the patch live yet?

nope, the patch notes came out 3 hours ago, and the patch hasnt started yet, in EU that is.. dunno if EU and US got diff times

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: Khayoss.2019

Khayoss.2019

I also doubt you’ll still see many power builds run despite these changes in pvp for the single reason that ranger power builds have no way to deal with boon spam.

You’ll still be tickling guardians and eles and lyssa rune thieves with 10+ secs of prot.

I think you are probably right, but having said that I am going to at least dust off all the Power/Vit/Tough gear and try out a longbow power ranger build in WvW when this patch drops. Sure would love a Power/Toughness/Condition Damage set…

Khayoss / Khayotica / Mistasia
Ehmry Bay – The Rally Bot Vortex [VOID]

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

its time, for glass cannon

in Ranger

Posted by: Victory.2879

Victory.2879

I predict the stealth duration will be nerfed in a future patch without the vuln being put back on.

Finally a reason to remove the SB from my bow build and throw on the GS…thief running in, start rapid before he stealths (using might and fury boosts and QZ) and when he pops up next to you at 40% hp or anywhere near you, stealth and leap at him on GS.

Going to be a pile of people jumping on ranger now or dusting them off, should be fun for next few weeks running through barrages on the necro.

Although all those guardian buffs are tempting me to dust off the guardian..

Victory, Beings Lost On Borderlands (BLOB), SFR & Gandara (inactive)

in Ranger

Posted by: Antara.3189

Antara.3189

its time, for glass cannon

There’s been glass cannon rangers already, just put some icing on that glassy cake

in Ranger

Posted by: Drtrider.6314

Drtrider.6314

Oh good, the whole community whines about stealth, so they just start handing out a classes’s unique mechanic to every other profession. When does my thief get my shatter phantasms?

Sylvioux 80 Thief
SWäG [Still Winning and Grinning]
Maguuma

in Ranger

Posted by: speedlight.3745

speedlight.3745

This must be the 1st positive all across balance patch for rangers ever.

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Oh good, the whole community whines about stealth, so they just start handing out a classes’s unique mechanic to every other profession. When does my thief get my shatter phantasms?

SOMEONE CALLED IT!! INCOMING QQ, TURN STARBOARD! STARBOARD! HEAT SEEKING TEARS HEADING IN MY DIRECTION!

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

Sarision.6347

I did not realize stealth is thief’s unique mechanic.

in Ranger

Posted by: Tadayoshi.2815

Tadayoshi.2815

Q.Q
Ever played Gw1 ? It’s funny to call stealth your unique class mechanic.
Q.Q

in Ranger

Posted by: jubskie.3152

jubskie.3152

Thieves were tricked by mesmers into thinking only they have it

Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG] Desolation
Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: Empressium.5482

Empressium.5482

Thieves were tricked by mesmers into thinking only they have it

and those mesmers were disillusioned by quaggans who hide stealth kits which can be used by all professions.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

thieves stole the stealth from mesmers who originally had it

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

Thieves have a lot of traits related to stealth, its a mechanic for them, its cosmetics for others.

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

SOMEONE CALLED IT!! INCOMING QQ, TURN STARBOARD! STARBOARD! HEAT SEEKING TEARS HEADING IN MY DIRECTION!

LOL

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

So how many tears will fall from 100% crit mauls executed from stealth after this goes live? I predict rivers :o

The thieves will drown in their own tears!! This is going to be amazing!! It’ll be like playing Teemo in League of Legends >=D

Thieves already started a topic on ranger stealth.

Wouldn’t that be the ultimate irony if thieves end up complaining nonstop about ranger being OP because of stealth XD

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Amazing patch.

Can’t wait to try this out.

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

You can have my pets instead!

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

It’s is the first step on a thousand step journey in the right direction for rangers… Next up: pets!

People who main thieves need to kitten and GTFO. Not like we can stay in stealth 90% of the time and just backstab our way to a win.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Ranger

Posted by: jubskie.3152

jubskie.3152

Wouldn’t that be the ultimate irony if thieves end up complaining nonstop about ranger being OP because of stealth XD

I would absolutely love to see this. And with the way things are going, it’s not going to be far from reality <3

Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG] Desolation
Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

Why would I trade hit, hit, evade, for hit, root yourself, root yourself? Greatsword auto is fine the way it is. And Longsword auto needs a lot of work to make it even useable, let alone useful. For a sword designed around mobility and evasion it’s a terrible power chain to have.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Ranger

Sarision.6347

I would trade hit, hit, evade for harder hit, harder hit, harder hit.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kain Francois.4328

Kain Francois.4328

I really want to say this patch was good, and it definitely a step in the right direction. But Ranger is still inferior to other professions in PvE and dungeons.

in Ranger

Zenith.7301

Rapid Fire just needs a flat out increase in damage. It’s a 4.5 sec channel that does less damage than the autoattack at long range. For a 4.5 sec channel it’s also pretty bad damage compared to other channeled skills.

in Ranger

Posted by: Killsmith.8169

Killsmith.8169

Why would I trade hit, hit, evade, for hit, root yourself, root yourself? Greatsword auto is fine the way it is. And Longsword auto needs a lot of work to make it even useable, let alone useful. For a sword designed around mobility and evasion it’s a terrible power chain to have.

The funny part is that Greatsword is inferior to the spear. You get more damage AND a 1.5 second evade on the auto attack. Usually underwater weapons are the same strength or weaker.

in Ranger

Posted by: Drtrider.6314

Drtrider.6314

You can have my pets instead!

I think I’ll pass, my thieve’s guild works better. I love ranger pets, free cloak n’ daggers all day.

Sylvioux 80 Thief
SWäG [Still Winning and Grinning]
Maguuma

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

Rapid Fire just needs a flat out increase in damage. It’s a 4.5 sec channel that does less damage than the autoattack at long range. For a 4.5 sec channel it’s also pretty bad damage compared to other channeled skills.

+1 I just hope they won’t realign long range shot to deal less then rapid fire.

in Ranger

Posted by: Seras.5702

Seras.5702

Well I think I’m going to dust off my Ranger and try this out. Was rocking LB anyhow before so this should be fun.

Flixx Gatebuster, Orwynn Lightgrave, Seras Snapdragon
[TTBH] [HATE], Yak’s Bend(NA)

in Ranger

Posted by: dovrak.4376

dovrak.4376

So rangers are kinda ranged thieves. Good way to balance.