Ranger Changes on July 23, 2013

in Ranger

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I would trade hit, hit, evade for harder hit, harder hit, harder hit.

It’s a better overall weapon, much more functional and user friendsly. If the auto isn’t as powerful I’m still not going to give up the rest for the terrible design that is the longsword. I’d never turn my nose up at a damage buff, but for the whole weapon in comparison, I’m not concerned and I wouldn’t change.

I want to change too. I’d like to run Sword/Dagger, but I am incapable of stomaching Sword for how bad it is.

The funny part is that Greatsword is inferior to the spear. You get more damage AND a 1.5 second evade on the auto attack. Usually underwater weapons are the same strength or weaker.

Give me spear as a land weapon and I’d be a happy camper.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Ranger

Posted by: McWolfy.5924

McWolfy.5924

on thief forum one thief cry because we can stay in stealthed 50% of the fight. i think he missed us with hisself

WSR→Piken→Deso→Piken→FSP→Deso
Just the WvW
R3200+

in Ranger

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

omfg yesssssssssssssssssssssssss

Local Charr Ruins Everything

in Ranger

Posted by: NargofWoV.4267

NargofWoV.4267

I really want to say this patch was good, and it definitely a step in the right direction. But Ranger is still inferior to other professions in PvE and dungeons.

Stealth is a get out of jail free card if you make a mistake or your pet brings the next dungeon room full of critters your way on accident. Never felt inferior on my ranger once geared. I solo’d a champion the other day I accidentally pulled, took a bit and it wasn’t a big boss, one of the ones over in Sunshore, not the queen.

Also, you still have the inv. on stun unless that has been changed, so basically we now can have two ways of going invisible.

Narg, Ranger JQ
Heavy Halo, Warrior JQ

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

wow very nice. A much needed blast finisher (althrough I’d rather see it on Maul instead of it getting vulnerability) and stealth… wow stealth, really? Very nice.

in Ranger

Posted by: nagymbear.5280

nagymbear.5280

I really want to say this patch was good, and it definitely a step in the right direction. But Ranger is still inferior to other professions in PvE and dungeons.

Stealth is a get out of jail free card if you make a mistake or your pet brings the next dungeon room full of critters your way on accident. Never felt inferior on my ranger once geared. I solo’d a champion the other day I accidentally pulled, took a bit and it wasn’t a big boss, one of the ones over in Sunshore, not the queen.

Also, you still have the inv. on stun unless that has been changed, so basically we now can have two ways of going invisible.

3 with infiltrator runes

Khert Devileyes – Ranger / Mano Negra – Thief / Nagymbear – Warrior /
Elona Bonechill – Necro / Fionna Gymirdottier – Guard /// RoF

in Ranger

Posted by: Mcrocha.3891

Mcrocha.3891

wow very nice. A much needed blast finisher (althrough I’d rather see it on Maul instead of it getting vulnerability) and stealth… wow stealth, really? Very nice.

The blast finish on warhorn promotes weapon diversity though. If maul was a blast finisher then greatsword would pretty much be run in all builds. While the vulnerability is still a very nice change instead of bleeding to make maul an even greater spike skill.

Local Charr Ruins Everything

in Ranger

Posted by: Kilaelya.1420

Kilaelya.1420

So happy about the LB change. No mention about splitting pet dps between PvE/PvP, though?

Minara | Ranger | Beastgate | [vR]

in Ranger

Posted by: Atherakhia.4086

Atherakhia.4086

Yea, the longbow is still going to need to be normalized as shortbow, even in power, does better damage. Just make it do the same damage over its entire range and give it a crit damage bonus at max range.

Still not convinced this is going to work out in the long run because the class as a whole really only works with condition builds because of the extreme lack of burst available to the class in general and how most of its damage is single target only at range.

I really wish they would remove a trap or 2 and give this class an aimed/sniper shot.

in Ranger

Posted by: Khayoss.2019

Khayoss.2019

So rangers are kinda ranged thieves. Good way to balance.

We already had access to stealth via trait, this just gives one more way to stealth via a weapon. Our stealthing is not new, and it’s nowhere near on the level thieves can get. I cant believe people are so up in arms about this…. did they never notice rangers disappearing before?

Khayoss / Khayotica / Mistasia
Ehmry Bay – The Rally Bot Vortex [VOID]

in Ranger

Posted by: Seth.1308

Seth.1308

I had to log in to the official site to verify that this was not some massive, well orchestrated, multi-forum troll.

gg Anet.

in Ranger

Posted by: Apollo.7583

Apollo.7583

If they gave us a charged shot on longbow with the reworked hunters with remorseless…

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Give me spear as a land weapon and I’d be a happy camper.

THAT!!!!!!

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Ranger:

• Rapid Fire: This skill now applies vulnerability on each hit.
  • Hunter’s Shot: This skill no longer applies vulnerability on each hit, but now grants the ranger stealth for 3 seconds.
  • Point Blank Shot: Increased the range from 600 to 900.
  • Call of the Wild: This skill is now a blast finisher.
  • Remorseless: This trait now reapplies Opening Strike when the ranger gains stealth or kills an enemy.

HAHAHA What am I reading???
…April 1 was 3 months ago… =P

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Among other benefits the stealth on hunters also let’s you cast the beginning of barrage without detection.

Can you guys look into getting some kind of hard cap on retaliation in WvW? While this is nice, getting barrage off is not the main issue IMO. Surviving it when the zerg has retaliation is the problem. You can lose 1/3 to 1/2 of your HP in one channel. :<

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

Among other benefits the stealth on hunters also let’s you cast the beginning of barrage without detection.

That’s funny…. but still doesn’t explain why Barrage had to have its damage cut in half In PVE in the first place.

in Ranger

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

Well to begin with,

I Never wouid Imagine Arena net would Raise the Ranger “from the dead”; I’m Suprised and Happy.

The Revival Patches are a good reason for us Ranger to look at a new life.

In Hope Arena net and the Ranger class to be united once again.

As I’m a strong advocate against Favoritism, I feel this is a new turn-around for us.

Once again,

Thank You!

Arena net for caring to give us life again..

My only Hope, is True Reunion and True Devotion to the Ranger class and community.

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

The build cometh!

in Ranger

Posted by: Simon.3106

Simon.3106

Good post, Burnfall. Just don’t get too high hopes. According to the way of life (or should i say, gw2 patches), the favorable winds can make an instant U-turn on the next patch.

About uniting with A-net, I am a Ranger. I work alone -_-\/

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

in Ranger

Posted by: Nuka Cola.8520

Nuka Cola.8520

Now if only LB could hit moving targets at long ranges

Fact: every Thief tells you to “l2p” when the subject is to nerf stealth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Razor.9872

Razor.9872

Hopefully this is but the beginning for more positive patches to come…

NSPride <3

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

Hate to be a naysayer, but I for one cannot join in with the general enthusiasm.

The change to Maul (vuln instead of bleed) is horrible and makes the greatsword, which was a fun weapon for PVE dungeon content, into a piece of lackluster trash.

The only way to get at least some use out of it now with a crit/con build, is via the odd bleed chance on crit, and that simply does not make it worth while, given the terrible damage it does with all its skills.

Loved running a ranger thus far, but will definitely be dropping the ranger now, which is sad, because I really had lots of fun with it. :|

I was runing rabid with GS, so know what you mean. Not an option anymore really for condi builds, unless you take bleed on crit and sigil of earth. The cleave makes it prolly still good, but you can have geomancy sigil instead. :/

in Ranger

Simon.3106

Ranger NakedNullpo, why do you give up hope over 1 change of GS? This patch give us the possibilities of trying and developing new builds for our fellow Rangers. I thought the vuln over bleed is better since I use auto-attack majority of time (due to its 3rd hit dodging) anyways, increasing the output of my damage on my target. I find it to be much more effective compare to the bleed. But as I said before (June 25 patch? Forgot the day), do not ever give up. That what it means to be a Ranger. -_-

edit: After discovering that Maul = 3 stacks of vuln, I take whatever I just posted all back. Good luck, GS-Rangers.

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

(edited by Simon.3106)

in Ranger

Posted by: Expiatus.4210

Expiatus.4210

Wait…is this the Ranger’s section of the forums? I mean, really? There is so much …..what’s the word….umm…..joy! Or is it hope. Is this a sign of a second coming or the Cubs winning the World Series or something?

Ahh just had to poke at the usual Ranger Rage. Thank you for indulging me.

Anvil Rock – Out manned, out gunned and no repair costs, so Leeroy up and dive in.
See you in Tyria.

in Ranger

Posted by: phys.7689

phys.7689

Im glad they made this shift for rangers, its something i reccomended some time ago, whether they actually heard me, or came to it on thier own, i think its a pretty good change.

Things to keep in mind going forward, i think that they will start to make some stealth counters going foward as they add more skills. I suggest that these counters not be able to take people out of stealth, merely give them an ability that allows them to mark or notice stealthed players.

I say this because completely disabling stealth(forcing the user out) will destroy in stealth benefits.

Also, add a utility that gives some form of stealth, even if its short, more towards regaining opening strikes, and quick use confusing tactics, when not using a bow.

this change along with some of the nerfs in the past, may make the Power line too hard to pass up.

Improve the beastmaster line in terms of actively used skill benefits. Possibly the critical line, though i havent studied that line in awhile

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

3 stacks of vulnerability in exchange for 3 bleed stacks? Are you kidding me? You actually nerfed GS damage, it’s unbelievable.

Who does the math for these changes?

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

Even though its 1 vulnerability per hit on rapid fire, it starts disappearing when it has 3 secs on. So its 10 stacks for 7 secs really.

But I gotz the stealthz on mah longbou /megusta face

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

Opening strike does not crit after stealth. I have at theory, “Precise Strike” the trait that grants 100% crit on “first strike” only resets on kill. Not on stealth as it should.

If, however, this “not gonna crit after stealth” thing is intended, they just openly nerfed the only possible positive use it had.

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

Simon.3106

Ranger NakedNullpo, I assume you missed my edit.

edit: After discovering that Maul = 3 stacks of vuln, I take whatever I just posted all back. Good luck, GS-Rangers.

I want you to know, Nullpo, that your absent will have a great negative impact on your fellow Rangers. Reconsider. =)

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

in Ranger

Posted by: Manekk.6981

Manekk.6981

Rapid Fire just needs a flat out increase in damage. It’s a 4.5 sec channel that does less damage than the autoattack at long range. For a 4.5 sec channel it’s also pretty bad damage compared to other channeled skills.

Ssssssssh saying things like this will make them nerf the autoattack to make rapid fire appear more attractive. :P

in Ranger

Simon.3106

Rapid Fire just needs a flat out increase in damage. It’s a 4.5 sec channel that does less damage than the autoattack at long range. For a 4.5 sec channel it’s also pretty bad damage compared to other channeled skills.

Ssssssssh saying things like this will make them nerf the autoattack to make rapid fire appear more attractive. :P

Hahah! Good one!

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

in Ranger

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

1800 range stealth is underpowered.

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Ranger

Posted by: Burnfall.9573

Burnfall.9573

I assume you’re a Decoy in seeing Ranger fail?

I’m not so Surprised.

I Caught You..

Advocate of Justice, Liberty and Truth

(edited by Burnfall.9573)

in Ranger

Simon.3106

I’m confused… what? Are you saying that you used Hunter Shot’s new stealth effect at a range of 1800? Are you mad? Keep that for close range so you can run away.

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

I assume you’re a Decoy in seeing Ranger fail?

I’m not so Surprised.

If he’s the chosen one we are safe. See how he got the 1 fact wrong?

in Ranger

Daecollo.9578

I’m confused… what? Are you saying that you used Hunter Shot’s new stealth effect at a range of 1800? Are you mad? Keep that for close range so you can run away.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hunter's_Shot

1800 stealth, GG

in Ranger

Posted by: Gaiawolf.8261

Gaiawolf.8261

AWWW, CRAP!!

I decided in favor of mesmer over ranger in beta due to greater stealth (and I LOVE mesmer stealth btw) and over thief due to long range range options, so I can can be a stealthy sniper. Now they go and put 30% uptime of stealth (traited) on the weapon with longest range in the game!

kitten you Anet! Time to level my ranger. (Though firing “lazers” from stealth is still pretty sexy. )

Btw, has anyone tested yet to see if the attack has to hit to grant stealth?

Lone Wolf Mesmer | Warrior | Engineer | Thief
Dissentient [DIS] ~Tarnished Coast

in Ranger

Daecollo.9578

The funny thing is, your pet can still attack WHILE your stealthed and it won’t reveal you.

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

Did some testing on Hunter’s shot, you need to hit with it to apply stealth. Blocking it will put it on CD and not apply the stealth. If you’re in stealth though bocking will not give you revealed.

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Hunter's_Shot

1800 stealth, GG

I stand corrected, it is longer than 1200.

in Ranger

Posted by: Robyn Yew.6072

Robyn Yew.6072

LOL at the cry over bleeds on maul.

Counterattack—Crippling Throw: This skill can now be used while moving. Increased the cripple duration to 5 seconds.

I would make the trade to lose bleeds for being able to use secondary 4 while moving anyday, I would trade over and over and go back in time and trade again. Been waiting for this to happen since begin of game.

}|{Rhbyn Yew}|{ Sylvari Ranger 80
born to Isle Of Janthir

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

Has anyboody tried Hunter’s shot with piercing arrows yet? I can imagine that giving you stealth with the first hit and then as it passes through and hits something else giving you revealed (and wasting your opening strike probably).

in Ranger

Simon.3106

Yes, someone try that and return the result please. =) Curiosity kills me. Anyways, I think we overlooked one of a positive change. The warhorn’s new finisher. Healing spring + finisher.

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon

in Ranger

nagymbear.5280

Has anyboody tried Hunter’s shot with piercing arrows yet? I can imagine that giving you stealth with the first hit and then as it passes through and hits something else giving you revealed (and wasting your opening strike probably).

I tested it on raptors in wvw, hit both of them, didn’t get revealed.

in Ranger

Robyn Yew.6072

Just tested, you will stealth once the shot passes through your target and hits either the wall/floor or reaches its maximum distance (1200 or 1500).

born to Isle Of Janthir

(edited by Robyn Yew.6072)

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Just tested, seems like you will stealth once the shot passes through your target and hits either the wall/floor.

Wait, wut?

You can stealth off the doors!? That would be so useful for running into a keep that’s being seiged.

in Ranger

Robyn Yew.6072

Just tested, seems like you will stealth once the shot passes through your target and hits either the wall/floor.

Wait, wut?

You can stealth off the doors!? That would be so useful for running into a keep that’s being seiged.

Arrows dont pass through doors, you can’t stealth off walls/doors/ceilings/plants/gates/fences/lamps/poles/ramps/trees etc. Target as in an opposing player or mob.

born to Isle Of Janthir

in Ranger

Posted by: Levetty.1279

Levetty.1279

I tested it on raptors in wvw, hit both of them, didn’t get revealed.

Just tested, you will stealth once the shot passes through your target and hits either the wall/floor or reaches its maximum distance (1200 or 1500).

Nice, thanks.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

I honestly don’t see the point of giving stealth to Hunter’s Shot. IMO, it would be perfect for the shortbow after the range nerf, but the longbow is meant to be used at very long range, where it’s easier to avoid ranged attacks, and it already has a counter against melee attacks in Point Blank Shot.

I’ve been trying to point this out but people keep shouting me down otherwise.

It’s a longbow. You should be at quite a bit of range. We basically lost DPS for slight utility that honestly doesn’t even do that much good. I’m aware you can stealth+rez but you will not get the rez off in time and the dps loss IS NOT WORTH IT.

There is no such thing as being at quite a bit of range. Things run at you, and no matter how good you are at mobility they will catch you. Stealth helps give you breathing room.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Ranger

Simon.3106

Arcade Fire, no one is shouting you down. I don’t think anyone did. The whole hype is really about the new possibilities that was just open to the Rangers with this new stealth shot. I have been a Longbow ranger since GW1 (meaning even in GW2, my main weapon has always been Longbow).

Yes, you are right that we are losing our DPS, which I have stated on another post, but I really suggest you try this new Hunter Shot out and see what you can come up with. Improvise, Ranger! When an opportunity arises, do not fear it (the changes), face it >=) Be the Ranger.

~Way of the Ranger~
Legendary Ranger, Simon