Ranger Changes on July 23, 2013

in Ranger

Posted by: Vyniea.2054

Vyniea.2054

The Stealth on the 3 attack is really useful.

Today on my new ranger I soloed the Svanir Marauder (The boss of one of the 2 meta events of Wayfarer foothills). Without stealth I probably wouldn’t have been able to do it, 2 dodge rolls can’t save you forever. Bought me precious seconds while my pet switching or heal was on cooldown. Obviously was useful to put aggro on my pet (they couldn’t live long but still would allow me to cast a full barrage) or gain some distance to be able to use the 10 arrows of Rapid Fire.

So as far as I’m concerned, the stealth is a pretty kitten great addition to the Ranger’s arsenal.

And I was level 13 at the time, so no overpowered stats (level 15 event)

in Ranger

Posted by: Star Ace.5207

Star Ace.5207

I mean no offense, but I find stealth on 3-while technically “unrealistic”-pretty much an excellent addition on PvE. Stealth is never bad for you on any scenario.

Also “you are doing it wrong if you need stealth while on long range” is basically telling a player “you MUST play the way I play, or you don’t know how to play.” Never say such a thing: t’s just your opinion, never a general rule, how you should play.

As I said before, I basically main melee, and use longbow as a long distance, weaken the enemy tool. As the enemy (regardless PvE/PvP) approaches, you now have the option to go “poof” ’and reposition yourself at a longer OR melee range. While I can see how this is “bad” if all you want is max damage at max range, it CLEARLY can be useful to many playstyles out there-and is very much in the spirit of melee being more high risk/high reward in GW2.

Note that I am not saying one should NOT play Longbow as a max range, high DPS weapon (play anyway you want), but certainly, that’s not the only way “I must use the longbow” or else “I am doing it wrong.”

in Ranger

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

They should simplify Long Range Shot to two coefficients: one for 0-1000 and one for 1000+.

And Rapid Fire needs cast compression.

How about, instead of a damage modifier they gave us a crit modifier? You always do the same damage, but past 1000 you get +X% crit chance/damage. Whichever

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Ranger

Posted by: Khayoss.2019

Khayoss.2019

They should simplify Long Range Shot to two coefficients: one for 0-1000 and one for 1000+.

How about, instead of a damage modifier they gave us a crit modifier? You always do the same damage, but past 1000 you get +X% crit chance/damage. Whichever

That would be much better

Khayoss / Khayotica / Mistasia
Ehmry Bay – The Rally Bot Vortex [VOID]

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

That can also work.

Really, I feel that longbow is in a good place right now. Only the auto and Rapid Fire need tweaks right now.

Btw, did anyone realize that Jon Sharp actually lived up to what he said about longbow in the last SotG? Something about longbow getting additional defense and bar compression?

in Ranger

Posted by: summourn.4982

summourn.4982

How is the ability to loose aggro ever useless in PVE?

Cause it’s not needed at all. In open world, we can just run away from mobs, in dungeons we’re not tanking.

Stealth on longbow is pure PvP addition and I wish to disable it in PvE.

Really no one is bothered that stealth stops auto-attack?

… Are you serious, bookah? o_o

I think he or she was referring to the fact that auto-attack is completely interrupted and stopped, even after stealth has worn off. After the entirely of the stealth buff is gone, my character doesn’t go back to attacking, she just stands there doing nothing until I press auto attack (or some other skill ) again.

I understand auto-attack being ceased for the duration of the stealth, but once out of it, I wish it would resume again.

in Ranger

Posted by: Kal Spiro.9745

Kal Spiro.9745

How is the ability to loose aggro ever useless in PVE?

Cause it’s not needed at all. In open world, we can just run away from mobs, in dungeons we’re not tanking.

Stealth on longbow is pure PvP addition and I wish to disable it in PvE.

Really no one is bothered that stealth stops auto-attack?

… Are you serious, bookah? o_o

I think he or she was referring to the fact that auto-attack is completely interrupted and stopped, even after stealth has worn off. After the entirely of the stealth buff is gone, my character doesn’t go back to attacking, she just stands there doing nothing until I press auto attack (or some other skill ) again.

I understand auto-attack being ceased for the duration of the stealth, but once out of it, I wish it would resume again.

That’s how stealth works. It doesn’t matter how you get stealthed either. Stealth stops your attack so that you don’t accidentally break it. Since stealth stops your attack it has to be restarted at your leisure.

Tarnished Coast Kal Spiro – Ranger (80), LB/S-D, Eagle/Wolf, Signet, M/S/WS #SABorRiot
|Daredevil|Ranger|Guardian|Scrapper|Necromancer|Berserker|Dragonhunter|Mesmer|Elementalist
|Deadeye|Warrior|Herald|Daredevil|Reaper|Spellbreaker

in Ranger

Posted by: summourn.4982

summourn.4982

That’s how stealth works. It doesn’t matter how you get stealthed either. Stealth stops your attack so that you don’t accidentally break it. Since stealth stops your attack it has to be restarted at your leisure.

Oooh, I wasn’t aware that that’s how other stealth worked as well. Thanks for the clarification!

in Ranger

Posted by: Zalani.9827

Zalani.9827

Was wondering why I was getting stealth from my longbow lol.
I must check patch notes more often,also yay buffs!

Jadis Narnia-Sylvari Ranger of [EDGE]
Dragonbrand

in Ranger

Posted by: Frostfang.5109

Frostfang.5109

I like the new changes! It helps u stay alive even better in PvE (PvE is mostly what I do) as it takes the aggro away and u have plenty of time to move or cast anything meanwhile!

And by being awsome survivors we can contribute a lot to others…. Even if we don’t do the most damage we can help others stay alive so that they can deliver the really heavy damage.

Kima & Co

in Ranger

Posted by: Tiborb.1453

Tiborb.1453

The change to Rapid Fire and Hunter’s Shot could be considered a good addition on the tactical front as stealth is a great tool for escaping/repositioning/juke the opponent, but on the damage side is a heavy nerf for the longbow and a heavy loss of dps.
With the old Hunter’s Shot and at least 15 points in Marksmanship (Opening Strike+Alpha Training) a ranger was able to initiate from the start of the combat with 20 stack of vulnerability (=20% more damage) for the first 5 seconds and 10 stacks for the remaining 3.
With the new Rapid Fire this is not possible anymore, as the 10 stacks of vulnerability needs to build up with each hit (=loss of dps compared to the old way it worked).
Now the vulnerability stacking could be easily negated by:
-forcing you to dodge
-line of sight denial
-casting a reflecting skill
-interrupting you,
not to mention that the whole channeling last for 4½s (wasting the 10 stacks for 5s given by two opening strikes).
Longbow need a buff on the damage outpout, not a NERF.

A way to fix can be easilly achieved by stacking 10 vulnerability with the first hit of Rapid Fire just like the old Hunter’s Shot used to do, so players are free to interrupt the canneling or do as they please.
Another way to adress this could be done by making the 2nd longbow skill a chain, with the first cast working as the old Hunter’s Shot and the second as the old Rapid Fire.

[LOCK] The Closed Society – Seafarer’s Rest

(edited by Tiborb.1453)

in Ranger

Posted by: Shiren.9532

Shiren.9532

The Stealth on the 3 attack is really useful.

Today on my new ranger I soloed the Svanir Marauder (The boss of one of the 2 meta events of Wayfarer foothills). Without stealth I probably wouldn’t have been able to do it, 2 dodge rolls can’t save you forever. Bought me precious seconds while my pet switching or heal was on cooldown. Obviously was useful to put aggro on my pet (they couldn’t live long but still would allow me to cast a full barrage) or gain some distance to be able to use the 10 arrows of Rapid Fire.

So as far as I’m concerned, the stealth is a pretty kitten great addition to the Ranger’s arsenal.

And I was level 13 at the time, so no overpowered stats (level 15 event)

Any ranger worth their salt could do this without stealth.

in Ranger

Posted by: Harnel.6810

Harnel.6810

Just to contribute my own thoughts to this thread, I’ve found the addition of stealth to be very useful. See, I mostly do solo PvE, and rarely I do dungeons and fractals. Regularly, I get my party to back off in dungeons so that Kavu, my drake, can tank whatever boss we’re fighting (Seriously; Kavu has been declared the most kitten member of the party on two separate occassions)

The problem in solo play is that I’m consistently doing more damage to the enemy than my pet is, and this can be a very bad thing if it chooses to come after me rather than continue to be distracted by my fire-breathing mutant alligator. The Stealth has already saved me numerous times from that sort of thing – and believe me, simply being at long range sometimes isn’t enough, particularly if you’re fighting a champion with ranged attacks.

I don’t care about a minor loss of DPS. This is most certainly a net gain in terms of survivability, which lets you churn out my DPS because you have longer to survive.

in Ranger

Posted by: RoyalPredator.9163

RoyalPredator.9163

I’ve palyed a lot in the last 2 days.
My ranger: WEAKER
Fun Factor: LESS
Unwanted Stealth on skill 3 (Witch should work on Skill 4 perfectly): ANNOYING

Go ahead…

Game Designer || iREVOLUTION.Design \\
“A man chooses; a slave obeys.” | “Want HardMode? Play Ranger!”

in Ranger

Posted by: andais.9301

andais.9301

I am very unhappy with the change to Hunter’s Shot… It seems inappropriately placed. I agree that it would work with Point Blank Shot if we absolutely have to have a stealth, but why did you take away the Vulnerability?

With this change, the long bow has only 3 shots that work in regular attacks… I was already down one shot with PBS being only selectively useful.

I feel that there is no purpose or benefit to this change. Most of the other things make sense… this does not.

I’m quite unhappy.

in Ranger

Posted by: Miflett.3472

Miflett.3472

They want bows to be relegated to secondary defensive weapons, which is sad. I like playing primary ranged single target dps, and we’re currently lacking that in a big way in GW2.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

in Ranger

Posted by: haschel.7180

haschel.7180

Do not celebrate these changes. They are ill conceived and not internally consistent with the trait layout. Biggest example: Longbow is, apparently, all about stacking vulnerability now. So Marksmanship, right? Extra condition duration when you invest. But if you want to drop the cooldown, you have to put 20 points into Skirmishing. There’s 50 of your 70 trait points.

Greatsword is another example. It’s cooldown reducer is in Wilderness Survival. Which gives condition damage. Bleed on Maul is now vulnerability. Great. So now I have to choose between cooldown or longer vulnerability. Oh, and the one handed sword is still useless since you can not reliably dodge while using it.

You even throw us a bone and make Warhorn #5 a blast finisher. Except that it’s still a 35 second cooldown. Warriors have a Warhorn blast finisher that can go as low as 16 seconds, and provides the single most important defensive buff – Vigor.

Apparently, ANet, you don’t want anyone to actually play the Ranger. Well, congratulations. You win – I give up. I’m retiring my Ranger until such time as you hire someone to actually make the Ranger into a viable profession, because the people you have in charge of it do not seem to be taking each facet of the profession into account. Sit down, figure out what role or playstyle you want each weapon to support, then craft around it. Scrap what you have now and start over.

in Ranger

Posted by: darkace.8925

darkace.8925

Greatsword is another example. It’s cooldown reducer is in Wilderness Survival. Which gives condition damage. Bleed on Maul is now vulnerability. Great. So now I have to choose between cooldown or longer vulnerability.

Yeah, good point. That’s yet another ham-fisted change for this class.

in Ranger

Posted by: CETheLucid.3964

CETheLucid.3964

I’ve palyed a lot in the last 2 days.
My ranger: WEAKER
Fun Factor: LESS
Unwanted Stealth on skill 3 (Witch should work on Skill 4 perfectly): ANNOYING

Go ahead…

I’ve played a lot in the last 2 days.
My ranger: HARDER TO KILL, FASTER AT KILLING, WUBWUB ZERG HATES ME
Fun Factor: OVER 9000
Beloved Stealth on skill 3 (Which goes nicely with the range buff on Skill 4): AWESOME

Go ahead…

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I mean no offense, but I find stealth on 3-while technically “unrealistic”-pretty much an excellent addition on PvE. Stealth is never bad for you on any scenario.

I don’t think there’s any way I could possibly be nice in response to this. It’s really really really difficult but I’ll try. … When you stealth, often the only place for the “aggro” to go to is your pet. And it doesn’t always stay there. Sometimes it comes right back to you the instant you attack. I’ve seen it come back the instant my stealth wore off infact. And if you’re higher damage than your pet is… you’re going to grab it even faster.

The ONLY way I could assume someone wouldn’t know this is if the only pet they ever use is a bear (which is “sticky” aggro-wise due to its toughness) and never fights anything more dangerous than a Veteran… in which case, your damage is so pathetically low already, that you’re not even a factor in what actually constitutes a good PvE discussion. Good day sir.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zenith.7301

Zenith.7301

Nooooo, it just needs a damage raise (Rapidfire).

Longbow auto should do the medium damage range 0-600 and the high damage value at 600+

in Ranger

Star Ace.5207

I don’t think there’s any way I could possibly be nice in response to this. It’s really really really difficult but I’ll try. … When you stealth, often the only place for the “aggro” to go to is your pet. And it doesn’t always stay there. Sometimes it comes right back to you the instant you attack. I’ve seen it come back the instant my stealth wore off infact. And if you’re higher damage than your pet is… you’re going to grab it even faster.

The ONLY way I could assume someone wouldn’t know this is if the only pet they ever use is a bear (which is “sticky” aggro-wise due to its toughness) and never fights anything more dangerous than a Veteran… in which case, your damage is so pathetically low already, that you’re not even a factor in what actually constitutes a good PvE discussion. Good day sir.

Well, if you don’t really have anything nice to say, don’t say it. No point in putting down everyone you disagree with.

Stealth is great for me, and I rarely use bears (no offense to those who do use them)-if you think stealth is bad, be my guest, but no need to get all offended about a game, or questioning other people experience just because they differ from yours. Have you considered that we may be playing differently and that such a thing is actually OK?-or do you expect all people to do and believe the way you do?

I also disagree with your views about damage etc. in PvE, which gives me the impression all you care about is direct damage, in which case we are very different, and that’s also fine-but we’ll never agree.

in Ranger

Posted by: jubskie.3152

jubskie.3152

Can’t please everyone. Like all of the patches before, the good rangers will adapt, and the rest will complain. I’m enjoying these changes immensely and it adds so much more value to my play.

I saw a complaint about the long cooldown on the blast finisher, but here’s something that rangers have that a warrior or a guardian doesn’t: a 15 second water field. After the blast finish, rangers have the option of leaping through it (when using a sword main hand) for yet another heal.

Extraordinary Gentlemen [EXG] Desolation
Doing It With Style
www.exg-guild.com

in Ranger

Posted by: Dreamwolf.7423

Dreamwolf.7423

Stealth for 3s, that only lasts 3s half the time.
A blast finisher that, again, only goes off half the time.
I did just fine with my longbow the way it was.
But, hey, great changes. NOT.
Why not make the sPvP changes in sPvP only and leave the PvE stuff ALONE?

in Ranger

Star Ace.5207

Stealth for 3s, that only lasts 3s half the time.
A blast finisher that, again, only goes off half the time.
I did just fine with my longbow the way it was.
But, hey, great changes. NOT.
Why not make the sPvP changes in sPvP only and leave the PvE stuff ALONE?

It improved PvE for many players as well, just not for some of you, and while I understand the disappointment if you are used to specific builds using the old Hunter’s Shot, there’s no denying that many players found the change a positive (and have been improperly accused of “not knowing how to play if you need stealth on longbow” in the process.) Personally, I would find it odd if Hunter’s shot caused vulnerability on PvE, and stealth on PvP. In any case, no reason to get mad at this since a)it’s just a game and b)it’s always evolving/getting patched/rebalanced.

in Ranger

Posted by: ilr.9675

ilr.9675

I also disagree with your views about damage etc. in PvE, which gives me the impression all you care about is direct damage, in which case we are very different, and that’s also fine-but we’ll never agree.

That’s not * me * disagreeing there. I’d actually PREFER it if damage wasn’t the only thing that mattered. You’re disagreeing with the game itself and the way nearly all encounters operate at optimal levels. IOW: you’re disagreeing with Anet’s current designs. Their current designs have no use for Stealth in PvE and in some cases such as those where you have to keep an NPC alive, it WORKS AGAISNT YOU. I’m not attacking you, I’m attacking your position with regards to how shortsighted and un-observant it is.

Stop knighting, and start actually playing the rest of the game where this stuff is impossible to miss.

in Ranger

Star Ace.5207

That’s not * me * disagreeing there. I’d actually PREFER it if damage wasn’t the only thing that mattered. You’re disagreeing with the game itself and the way nearly all encounters operate at optimal levels. IOW: you’re disagreeing with Anet’s current designs. Their current designs have no use for Stealth in PvE and in some cases such as those where you have to keep an NPC alive, it WORKS AGAISNT YOU. I’m not attacking you, I’m attacking your position with regards to how shortsighted and un-observant it is.

Stop knighting, and start actually playing the rest of the game where this stuff is impossible to miss.

Do you think ANet sees things the way you do? That they find stealth useless on PvE as you do? You have chosen to attack, attack, attack, while other options are given to you. Ask them if they think the game is all about DPS (I remember they even thought that conditions were indeed too weak against inanimate objects-which they are-and “were looking into it.”)

I think this is a player base issue, and that ANet should indeed make it harder for all direct damage players to roll over the game with DPS. But there are indeed occasions in which all DPS won’t necessarily help you (and CoF1 is not representative of GW2… I deem it a failed Dungeon that they never dared fix because they were afraid of player’s negative reactions to the gold mine being closed.) It’s a pity that people tend to be attracted to the path of least resistance, but it doesn’t mean that the game is all about DPS, because many players don’t play that way and do great too.

I am not a “knighter” at all, I want to be fair to all sides involved. If there are limitations on GW2 being too easy for DPS lovers, there are also some problems with people who only copycat cookie-cutter DPS builds for easy wins. I also respect everyone’s right to love DPS (it’s their right) but also believe that it’s OK to choose any other playstyle as well, and detest when people are shunned out because of NOT being all DPS due to silly bias about how GW2 “should be played” that ANet doesn’t even really believe in.

This is not personal, though, and many other players believe as you do.

in Ranger

Miflett.3472

Do you think ANet sees things the way you do? That they find stealth useless on PvE as you do? You have chosen to attack, attack, attack, while other options are given to you. Ask them if they think the game is all about DPS (I remember they even thought that conditions were indeed too weak against inanimate objects-which they are-and “were looking into it.”)

I think this is a player base issue, and that ANet should indeed make it harder for all direct damage players to roll over the game with DPS. But there are indeed occasions in which all DPS won’t necessarily help you (and CoF1 is not representative of GW2… I deem it a failed Dungeon that they never dared fix because they were afraid of player’s negative reactions to the gold mine being closed.) It’s a pity that people tend to be attracted to the path of least resistance, but it doesn’t mean that the game is all about DPS, because many players don’t play that way and do great too.

I am not a “knighter” at all, I want to be fair to all sides involved. If there are limitations on GW2 being too easy for DPS lovers, there are also some problems with people who only copycat cookie-cutter DPS builds for easy wins. I also respect everyone’s right to love DPS (it’s their right) but also believe that it’s OK to choose any other playstyle as well, and detest when people are shunned out because of NOT being all DPS due to silly bias about how GW2 “should be played” that ANet doesn’t even really believe in.

This is not personal, though, and many other players believe as you do.

This is a game design problem, not rewarding anything but dps. I’m a primary dpser mainly because I like to keep on my toes and get punished when I don’t. That’s my playstyle and it shouldn’t be denied. The problem is what we are given just isn’t as competitive in game meta right now. I’d love for condition shortbow make a nice comeback in pve, but until things change in a big way it won’t happen.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

Unbelievable: the amount of crying over the best patch we’ve ever had. Chill! Have fun and play.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

in Ranger

darkace.8925

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. If you need stealth in PvE as a longbow ranger then you’re doing something wrong. You have:
1. A weapon that can attack from a distance of 1200 to 1500 from your target.
2. A pet that can grab and hold aggro, keeping your target away from you.
3. A knock back.
4. An area of effect cripple.
5. Mobs that rarely dodge.
6. Mobs that usually have a slow rate of attack.

So, with those points being undeniably true, in what scenario is a 3 second stealth better than 10 instant stacks of 10 seconds of vulnerability? Again, this change was done solely for PvP/WvW players and done at the expense of PvE players. I don’t know why anyone would bother arguing otherwise.

in Ranger

Star Ace.5207

Because you don’t get to choose how others choose to enjoy or play the game. I respect you enough to never tell you you are doing it wrong for focusing on longbow as a long range, high DPS eeapon, yet you are not gracious enough to understand that it’s OK for people to think and play differently than you, otherwise they are “doing it wrong”.

I use longbow untraited, I suppose I am playing the game the wrong way. :P I also use melee most of the time, using the long bow strategically, and stealth does work for me… I guess I was supposed to do it your way in order to play “the right way”?

Even when we are convinced our way of doing things is “right”, everybody is entitled to their own “right” way of doing things-and that includes players finding new Hunter’s Shot useful, even if it isn’t so to yourself.

Edited to add that the mobs usually come after me, rather than my pet, which is good for my playstyle-totally unlike your experience. So stealth confuses the AI. Basically, we play the game so differently, your points don’t apply to me at all, and my opinion about stealth as a good addition stands, even it’s “useless” for what you were used to do.

(edited by Star Ace.5207)

in Ranger

Posted by: Chopps.5047

Chopps.5047

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again. If you need stealth in PvE as a longbow ranger then you’re doing something wrong. You have:
3. A knock back.

So, with those points being undeniably true, in what scenario is a 3 second stealth better than 10 instant stacks of 10 seconds of vulnerability? Again, this change was done solely for PvP/WvW players and done at the expense of PvE players. I don’t know why anyone would bother arguing otherwise.

Why do you have trouble stacking vulnerability in PvE? That’s really easy. I solo’d the Candidate Trials through T4 just yesterday, for example. I used longbow and did just fine although it’s pretty easy to fail in the middle when several vets spawn and the far plundered keeps looting making aggro management a pain.

Also, why use the stealth? You want that any time an enemy closes a gap. For example, I do very high damage on my ranger and tend to pull aggro. In cliffside, versus the legendary archdiviner, sometimes we won’t get 100% cripple / chill uptime and he’ll rush me while I’m lobbing longbow arrows. I simple stealth and evade, it’s quite nice actually in the grawl fractal vs the legendary imbued shaman.

Not to mention with quickening zephyr, if I want, my rapid fire channel procs 15 stack vulnerability that sticks for a good amount of time.

And a 900 range point blank shot is so good I don’t even need to disuss it. No one even mentions it, it’s so good.

In summary, these changes help the ranger in both pve and pvp. Instant 10 stack vulnerability isn’t as good as you think it is. Also, hunter’s shot is most certainly more easily dodged than rapid fire. Even if they dodge once, the channel will still hit them and it tracks stealthed targets. I’m afraid if you can’t understand why this is better, you should probably learn more about games, game design, and game mechanics.

Tin Foil Hat Hearer »—> Ranger Extraordinaire »—> “Be like water…”

(edited by Chopps.5047)

in Ranger

darkace.8925

[snip]

I’m afraid if you can’t understand why this is better, you should probably learn more about games, game design, and game mechanics.

Oh, I see. I disagreed with you, therefore I must not understand the game, the game’s design, or the game’s mechanics. Typical.

in Ranger

Miflett.3472

[snip]

I’m afraid if you can’t understand why this is better, you should probably learn more about games, game design, and game mechanics.

Oh, I see. I disagreed with you, therefore I must not understand the game, the game’s design, or the game’s mechanics. Typical.

Yes, stop telling them how they should play their game, and play like they play instead. Duh.

Leader of Grim Omen [GO]

in Ranger

Posted by: Daecollo.9578

Daecollo.9578

I just rolled a ranger, I love the ranged stealth <3

Hero {} Roleplayer {} Friend {} Professional Princess Saver
https://twitter.com/TalathionEQ2

in Ranger

Posted by: Lord Trejgon.2809

Lord Trejgon.2809

3. A knock back.

You forgot about something….
dungeons are also counted as PvE and they are a waaay harder
stealth for rangers would be usefull for example in cof p1 in acolytes part – You know when we need to wait for respawn of those stealth is great thing

“-Shield is meant to be broken!”
“-and on this occasion I keep mine plate armors”
discussion about offensive/deffensive playstyles

in Ranger

darkace.8925

You forgot about something….
dungeons are also counted as PvE and they are a waaay harder
stealth for rangers would be usefull for example in cof p1 in acolytes part – You know when we need to wait for respawn of those stealth is great thing

Dungeons are certainly a fair point to raise. I’m subscribe to the following belief: if an elementalist, with its weaker armor and lower health pool, can run dungeons without stealth then I see no reason a ranger can’t do the same. My line of thinking on that might be off, but it seems like a reasonable stance to me.

in Ranger

Lord Trejgon.2809

@darkace I don’t state that rangers cannot do it without stealth – but fact that I can achieve something without some sources doesn’t mean that would not be usefull?
also You could also say with that logic that “If an elementalist which is weaker armor and lower health pool, can solo some dungeons I see no reason a ranger can’t do the same”
as for now I’ve seen many movies on Youtube with elementalist soloing AC explo – and I see no vids for ranger soloing it.

anyway thiefs on certain build also “could” do dungeons with no use of stealth – is that mean that stealth is useless ffor them too?

for me that is new interesting thing that is usefull in matters to grant survive to a longbow ranger, and that also seems reasonable for me
of course that we can life without that – but after arenanet destroyed safespot on cof p1 acolytes, stealth on the hunter’s shot is the thing that made me again considering ranger better for doing it than my guardian….

in Ranger

darkace.8925

anyway thiefs on certain build also “could” do dungeons with no use of stealth – is that mean that stealth is useless ffor them too?

The difference, in my opinion, is many of the thief’s mechanics and traits are built around stealth with a clear synergy; whereas with rangers if feels tacked on and came at the expense of an existing weapon skill. None of the thief’s weapon skills were killed to make room for stealth skills.

for me that is new interesting thing that is usefull in matters to grant survive to a longbow ranger, and that also seems reasonable for me

I understand the added survival is nice, but the longbow already has one (Point Blank Shot) and a half (Barrage) defensive skills built in. Did it really need another? The longbow isn’t a shield, it’s purpose is (or was) for damage. Now 2.5 of its 5 skills are dedicated to defense. And of the two remaining offensive skills, one is greatly diminished at close range and the other two require you to root yourself during channeling.

in Ranger

Lord Trejgon.2809

Yes it need – because wht You are swarmed by enemies one point blanc shot with such cooldown is not enough. and cripple from barrage still is not enough to keep enemies away.
there is only one skill which is “rooting” while chanelling – barrage – while channeling rapid fire, you can move unles your move make your target being behind You. actually You can’t only dodge while it.
of course longbow is not a shield – and thats why “defenses” are: criplle knockback stealth.
also I don’t feel longbow ruined after those patch :P

in Ranger

Posted by: Ceois.5072

Ceois.5072

Nice patch! Now fix the pets and we will be friends again. I want to play the game Anet! Show us some PET love!