Ranger: Full Class Rework

in Ranger

Posted by: Anari.2137

Anari.2137

Ranger Class Rework

Trinkets
Troll unguent: Now heals passive, 300 Hp a second, and can be activated to heal for 5500 hp.
Healing Spring: Cool down reduced to 15 seconds.
Shouts: All shouts have 30 second CD.
Survival: All Survival abilities have 20 Second CD
Signet: All Signets have 25 Second CD.
Traps: All Traps have 15 Second Cd.
Sharpening Stones: Improved Bleed damage to 300.

Ultimate
Strength of the pack Cool down reduced to 50 seconds.
Entangle: Now also inflicts Poison (1400 damage)
Spirit of Nature: Now (Directly) Heals allies in 1000 yards, for 4500 HP. Detonate to apply regeneration, remove 2 conditions from each ally, and resurrect the dead.

Nature Magic
Logic: Self, Pet Boons. Support.
Trait:
Tier 1:
Bountiful Hunter: 1% Damage per a Boon, and 5% Damage for your pet.
Instinctive Reaction: When you drop below 50% Hp, You Gain Quickness, and Regeneration. [5 second CD]
Tier 2:
Vigorous Training: Your Pet grants near by allies 15% Endurance Regeneration.
Tier 3:
Nature’s Vengeance: Spirits now last longer, and grant a boon to allies around them.
Water: Direct Heal every 3 seconds.
Stone: Vigor Every 3 Seconds.
Air: Quickness Every 3 Seconds.
Frost: Chill Application Every 3 Seconds.
Sun: Blinds Enemies. 3 Stack Application.
Protective Ward: Swapped Places Into Beast Mastery, With Zephyrs Speed.

Beast Mastery
Logic: Pet Buffs,Melee Buffs
Trait:
Loud Whistle: While your health is below 50%, your pet gains 20% more damage, and 50% Reduction in abilities.
Pets Prowess: Pets move faster, and gain a unique attribute depending on type:
Bear: HP
Cat: Ferocity
Birds: Precision
Wolves:Boon Duration
Other: Power
Tier 1
Go For The Eyes: Blinds The target and causes bleeding.
Companions Might: Grants an additional 5% Damage to you and your pet.
Tier 2
Wilting Strike: Inflicts Weakness on F2 Command, And Grants Stability.
Natural Healing: Pet Gains 20% More Hp, And heals 150 HP per a second.
Tier 3
Beastly Warden: Taunts the target, and grants Protection. Pet Gains 500 armor.
Zephyrs Speed: 50% Chance on attack to gain Quickness and Swiftness.
Honed Axes: Now Grants 500 Ferocity, and 250 Precision.

Skirmishing
Logic: Direct Damage, Conditions
Trait
Hunters Tactics: Grants 10% Critical Strike, and an additional 10% if Duel Welding Weapons.
Tier 1
Sharpened Edges: Now Grants 20% Chance to cause 100 Bleeding on Hit if using a range weapon, or 50% if melee.
Primal Reflexes: Every 5th Attack grants Vigor.
Tier 2
Spotter: Grants 250 Precision
Striders Defense. 20% reduction to sword abilities, and 20% Chance when hit to grant reflection.
Tier 3
Quick Draw: Weapon swapping is reduced by 20%.
Light on your feat: Short bow abilities recharge 20% faster, and have 300 additional range and pierce.

Survival
Logic: Conditions
Trait:
Bark skin: You and your pet take reduced damage when below the thresh hold of 50% Hp. Player Reduction: 20%, and 50% for pet.
Tier 1
Soften The fall: 50% Reduction to fall damage. 200 hp a second when incapacitated.
Oak heart salve: When you are stunned, dazed, etc. Gain regeneration.
Tier 2
Refined Toxins: Every 3 attacks applies poison.
Tier 3
Emphatic Bond: 2 conditions every 2 seconds.
Poison Master: Critical Strikes apply poison. Poison Healing Reduction Improved to 50%, and duration is improved by 20%.

Marksmen
Logic: Long Bow, Pets
Trait:
Tier 1
Tier 2
Moment of Clarity: 30% Change to gain clarity on critical Strike
Tier 3
Note: Long Bow Ability 3 (invisibility) Now takes you out of combat if you successfully cloak.

Druid
Logic: Healing, Celestial Form.
Trait
Tier 1
Druidic Clarity: Reduced conditions removed to 3.
Tier 2
Tier 3

Weapons
Axe
Ability 1 now applies bleed effects.
Ability 5 now hovers around the player, and no longer needs to be channeled. 10 second cool down, and 5 second duration.

Great Sword:
Ability 3 cool down reduced to 8 seconds.
Ability 4 improved channel time to 10 seconds.
Ability 5 cool down reduced to 20 seconds.

War horn
Ability 4 reduced cool down to 15 seconds.
Ability 5 reduced cool down to 20 seconds

Sword
Ability 2 Reduced cool down to 5 seconds.
Ability 3 Reduced cool down to 5 seconds.

in Ranger

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

I didn’t want to comment on your previous posts but alot of your ideas are bad in the aspect of balance. All the heals are too strong and leaving combat just from going invis is pretty much a free fight reset.

Bad Elementalist

in Ranger

Posted by: Salamander.2504

Salamander.2504

+1 to FrownyClown.

Your balance suggestions across all of your threads focus around buffing everything that’s weak (and weird buffs to things that are already incredibly strong) instead of nerfing everything that’s overpowered. This is a poor direction for the game to go because it promotes mindless spam for both DPS and sustain.

For example:
Your quickdraw change kills the trait and makes no sense—it’s a bad version of warrior’s fast-hands in a GM spot; what? Your shortbow trait change is just making it a worse longbow, and SB doesn’t need cooldown reduction at all since the cooldowns are already so low. Your Beastly Warden and Zephyr’s speed is just straight unnecessary power creep on two of the best GM traits available to the ranger. You want Troll unguent to just a better warrior healing signet? I could go on, but these changes look like they were made by someone who doesn’t play the ranger class, and I’m sorry if that sounds harsh but I intend this as constructive feedback.

It’s a really great effort and a good thing you’re trying to do, but I 100% disagree with the underlying philosophy behind the changes (i.e., buffs, sometimes nonsensical ones) based on my experience (4k games, 1 legend account and 1 diamond account).

(edited by Salamander.2504)

in Ranger

Posted by: Keadron.9570

Keadron.9570

Idk if his changes ever get put in I’m Def playing guardian! I wanna be God mode too!

in Ranger

Posted by: megilandil.7506

megilandil.7506

+1 to FrownyClown.

Your balance suggestions across all of your threads focus around buffing everything that’s weak (and weird buffs to things that are already incredibly strong) instead of nerfing everything that’s overpowered. This is a poor direction for the game to go because it promotes mindless spam for both DPS and sustain.

For example:
Your quickdraw change kills the trait and makes no sense—it’s a bad version of warrior’s fast-hands in a GM spot; what? Your shortbow trait change is just making it a worse longbow, and SB doesn’t need cooldown reduction at all since the cooldowns are already so low. Your Beastly Warden and Zephyr’s speed is just straight unnecessary power creep on two of the best GM traits available to the ranger. You want Troll unguent to just a better warrior healing signet? I could go on, but these changes look like they were made by someone who doesn’t play the ranger class, and I’m sorry if that sounds harsh but I intend this as constructive feedback.

It’s a really great effort and a good thing you’re trying to do, but I 100% disagree with the underlying philosophy behind the changes (i.e., buffs, sometimes nonsensical ones) based on my experience (4k games, 1 legend account and 1 diamond account).

its more posible a power up of the other clases than a general nerf or worse, a rotation of classes OP :
Anet dont want to split skills pve/pvp and for the raid contents a nerf will be dramatic

in Ranger

Salamander.2504

+1 to FrownyClown.

For example:

its more posible a power up of the other clases than a general nerf or worse, a rotation of classes OP :
Anet dont want to split skills pve/pvp and for the raid contents a nerf will be dramatic

No way. More stuff is underpowered at the moment than overpowered. Almost every single core utility, traitline, and weapon is underpowered compared to their elite spec counterparts—that means that, what, 15% of the game is currently OP and dominating the PvP scene? Nerfing the OP elite spec stuff would not only be healthier for the gameplay, but easier to do.

Especially since we already have a baseline balance to work around with the core specs (which peaked from Sept. 29-Oct 23rd of 2015), something which has never occurred since HoT and elite spec release.

in Ranger

Posted by: Swagger.1459

Swagger.1459

@anari

I have not read through all of your posts, but I did skim through a couple and I like your general thought process behind changes.

@posters who want elites “nerfed” instead

Difficulty was increased with hot and elites were designed with that in mind. You should be thanking anari for spending time trying to improve core professions instead. Professions have received such little attention since launch and it’s changes like these that are necessary.

Players want tougher and tougher content, and max level characters need to be up to the task. Also, this game needs more viable and competitive builds.

Keep it up anari!

New Main- 80 Thief – P/P- Vault Spam Pro

221 hours over 1,581 days of bank space/hot pve/lion’s arch afk and some wvw.

(edited by Swagger.1459)

in Ranger

Salamander.2504

Difficulty was increased with hot and elites were designed with that in mind…

Players want tougher and tougher content, and max level characters need to be up to the task….

Also, this game needs more viable and competitive builds.

1) PvP difficulty went way down with the introduction of elites because the skillfloor/cap for the elites is much lower than the core specs.

2) PvE issue. Not applicable here.

3) There have never been fewer viable builds in PvP…HoT killed build diversity.

in Ranger

Posted by: FrownyClown.8402

FrownyClown.8402

Players want tougher and tougher content, and max level characters need to be up to the task….

1) PvP difficulty went way down with the introduction of elites because the skillfloor/cap for the elites is much lower than the core specs.

Here are a couple builds no one plays that are still pretty good.

Core fresh air ele
Core lb ranger
MM necro
Skullcrack warrior

I’m not saying the HoT builds made them unplayable, but the current meta builds right now doesnt leave much room for builds with less sustain (with the exeption of mm necro)

Basically the combination of tempest, druid and reaper is what is limiting builds I feel

Bad Elementalist

in Ranger

Swagger.1459

So core professions need to be improved and on par with elites.

Sure it is, because balancing is not done separately. And when balance is done separately, core professions will still need to be improved and on par with elites.

So core professions need to be improved and on per with elites.

in Ranger

Salamander.2504

Sure it is, because balancing is not done separately. And when balance is done separately, core professions will still need to be improved and on par with elites.

I don’t follow, how did you reach this conclusion (in bold)?

in Ranger

Posted by: Anari.2137

Anari.2137

The Core abilities being improved would be less work depending on conditions.
Moving the elite specs down probably means more database work because you have to rebalance all of the mobs, bosses, gear, etc.

So most of it should be pretty easy value changes in the DB if its basically things like more damage, or something like that.

in Ranger

Swagger.1459

Well, the devs aren’t going to gut elite specs, and I’ll let you think why from our conversation.

in Ranger

Posted by: megilandil.7506

megilandil.7506

2 is the core of the problem if they dont take the split way, pve isues are pvp isues

in Ranger

Salamander.2504

Well, the devs aren’t going to gut elite specs, and I’ll let you think why from our conversation.

What..what kind of forum post is this? Are you Socrates doling out wisdom? Thanks for the laugh, anyways.

@megilandil, agreed.

in Ranger

Posted by: TheBravery.9615

TheBravery.9615

With all due respect, “easy” balancing is what Arenanet has been doing all along. Lazy number fixes (cooldown modification, damage % changes) with a limited scope, and we can all see how that turned out. The problem with your “easy” fix is that it’s low quality and achieves nothing for balance (interprofessional and intraprofessional) and contributes to powercreep- which in itself is an elephant in the room that needs to be shot.

Take a look at the links in my signature for examples of a warrior balance proposal and guardian balance proposal. Balance is not an easy task and does not justify “easy” fixes. It’s too complicated for that.

On the other hand, balance is a controversial and subjective idea in that there are different approaches to it, and it is IMPOSSIBLE to achieve a full consensus on every idea.

With that said, I strongly oppose your suggestion(s) on the basis that it’s blatant powercreep with the cooldown reductions, damage increases, and overabundance in addition of control effects and boons/conditions.

If I had a suggestion for your suggestions, it would be this:

• Create a credo or framework for balance to follow. (examples in my warrior/guardian proposal)
  • Conduct surveys and listen to constructive feedback from the community, and mold suggestions as you see fit (assume perspectives of other players, while at the same time, be objective of suggestions to your suggestions)
  • Provide REASONS why you think the changes are good.

(edited by TheBravery.9615)

in Ranger

Swagger.1459

What..what kind of forum post is this? Are you Socrates doling out wisdom? Thanks for the laugh, anyways.

@megilandil, agreed.

This might help… How exactly did hot kill build diversity?

in Ranger

Salamander.2504

@megilandil, agreed.

This might help… How exactly did hot kill build diversity?

I think this question can be most easily answered by quoting another forum goer. Source: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/game/pvp/the-only-balance-problem/first#post6080452

No easy solutions.

Scrappers, Tempests, and Druids have over the top group support/personal survivability in the current PvP builds.

Revenant and Reaper have very easily landed, over the top pressure while still having a good amount of defensive utility.

Continuum split Moa morph & Portal is really just the last viable profession here, I mean Chronomancer.

Looking on the bright side, they’re all equally overpowered.

The only problem is that every build that players have been using for 3 years is dead. We traded a ton of builds for a few next-level builds, it pretty much killed diversity.

Let’s just think of all the top meta builds that used to be playable, right before HoT launched.

The people who politely request that everything be nerfed, they probably just want to be able to play some of these builds again:

• Rampage Warrior
  • D/F Fire & Arcana Eles
  • D/D Earth & Arcana Eles
  • Burn Guardian
  • Bunker Guardian
  • Mantra Mesmer
  • PU Mesmer
  • Power Grenade Rifle Engi
  • Signet Classic Necro
  • Shadow Arts Medic Thief
  • S/D Acro Thief

And the patch before that

• Cele Engi
  • Condi Engi
  • DPS Meditation Guard
  • Shoutbow Warrior
  • Power Necro
  • Non-Meta builds that actually came close, like Resbot warrior, Staff ele, Fresh Air ele, Static Discharge engi, Hambow Warrior.

It’s not just about builds either, at some point we shot to balance teamfight strategies with skirmish strategies, having to sacrifice battle strength to get portal/moa, and keeping some higher risk/reward builds in the mix instead of 5 self-sustained super-soldiers.

For the first time we added traits and an entire new profession but we kissed goodbye every build that we’ve found fun over the years, as well as Thief/Warrior/Guardian. I think later in 2014 until October 2015 is the period that set the bar for PvP profession balance in this game. Balance has improved so much since the Expansion came out, but we’re still so far from being where we were.

Compare that last statement to my post earlier in this thread:

We already have a baseline balance to work around with the core specs (which peaked from Sept. 29-Oct 23rd of 2015), something which has never occurred since HoT and elite spec release.

in Ranger

Posted by: anduriell.6280

anduriell.6280

and here is the poweeer creep.
Dont get me wrong: core ranger need a lot of buffs to be viable in competitive, and when i mean viable i mean to have more than 1 build choice.
PVE openworld never is the problem here you can go naked and still have an easy time even in HoT.

but i think your buffs are too much.

I TOLD YOU SO
Inverse to Apple: SBeast is the worst yet.. jurl jurl
I’m all in for Team Irenio!

in Ranger

Posted by: Euthymias.7984

Euthymias.7984

While I agree with the idea of buffing Core stuff, some of the suggestions are a bit over the top imo. Mind if I give it a try, OP? ;D

Trinkets

Troll unguent: Now heals passive, 300 Hp a second, and can be activated to heal for 5500 hp.
Healing Spring: Cool down reduced to 15 seconds.
Shouts: All shouts have 30 second CD.
Survival: All Survival abilities have 20 Second CD
Signet: All Signets have 25 Second CD.
Traps: All Traps have 15 Second Cd.
Sharpening Stones: Improved Bleed damage to 300.

Troll Ungent: No change

Healing Spring: Increase Trap Radius to 240

Shouts:

Sick ’Em: AoE Reveal around the pet on use (240 radius), Cooldown reduced to 30s.

Survival Skills

Lightning Reflexes: CD reduced to 30s. Damaging portion removed.

Quickening Zephyr: CD reduced to 30s

Sharpening Stone: CD reduced to 15s

Signets: No change.

Elites

Strength of the pack Cool down reduced to 50 seconds.
Entangle: Now also inflicts Poison (1400 damage)
Spirit of Nature: Now (Directly) Heals allies in 1000 yards, for 4500 HP. Detonate to apply regeneration, remove 2 conditions from each ally, and resurrect the dead.

That seems like a bit much. Honestly, I’d just reduce Spirit of Nature to 90 seconds instead of 120.

Nature Magic

Logic: Self, Pet Boons. Support.
Trait:
Tier 1:
Bountiful Hunter: 1% Damage per a Boon, and 5% Damage for your pet.
Instinctive Reaction: When you drop below 50% Hp, You Gain Quickness, and Regeneration. [5 second CD]
Tier 2:
Vigorous Training: Your Pet grants near by allies 15% Endurance Regeneration.
Tier 3:
Nature’s Vengeance: Spirits now last longer, and grant a boon to allies around them.
Water: Direct Heal every 3 seconds.
Stone: Vigor Every 3 Seconds.
Air: Quickness Every 3 Seconds.
Frost: Chill Application Every 3 Seconds.
Sun: Blinds Enemies. 3 Stack Application.
Protective Ward: Swapped Places Into Beast Mastery, With Zephyrs Speed.

Bountiful Hunter: No changes to current implementation

Instinctive Reaction: Gain Fury (8s) when struck below the health threshold (50%). ICD is 12 seconds.

Vigorous Training: Grants Vigor and Regeneration (10s) to nearby allies

Wildhorn Notes: Call of the Wild also grants Stability and Hunter’s Call inflicts Confusion. Warhorn skills recharge faster

Nature’s Vengeance: In its current, immobile form: Increased Health, adds Self-Stability to spirits. Spirits also provide the following:
Frost: Might (No change)

Sun: Chance to gain a Fire Shield when hit (50%)

Stone: Stability (1s)

Nature: Removes 1 condition

Water: Regeneration (no change)

Protective Ward: Merged with Beastly Warden

Beast Mastery*

*Logic: Pet Buffs,Melee Buffs
Trait:
Loud Whistle: While your health is below 50%, your pet gains 20% more damage, and 50% Reduction in abilities.
Pets Prowess: Pets move faster, and gain a unique attribute depending on type:
Bear: HP
Cat: Ferocity
Birds: Precision
Wolves:Boon Duration
Other: Power
Tier 1
Go For The Eyes: Blinds The target and causes bleeding.
Companions Might: Grants an additional 5% Damage to you and your pet.
Tier 2
Wilting Strike: Inflicts Weakness on F2 Command, And Grants Stability.
Natural Healing: Pet Gains 20% More Hp, And heals 150 HP per a second.
Tier 3
Beastly Warden: Taunts the target, and grants Protection. Pet Gains 500 armor.
Zephyrs Speed: 50% Chance on attack to gain Quickness and Swiftness.
Honed Axes: Now Grants 500 Ferocity, and 250 Precision.

Loud Whistle – HP Threshold lowered to 75%, but retains current effect of current Loud Whistle

Pet Prowess: Pet movement and actions are faster (20~25%), and deal more damage on Critical Hits

Go For the Eyes: Reduce ICD to 10 Seconds

Companion’s Might: Change Bleeding to Vulnerability (5s)

Wilting Strike: Your first attack after swapping pets induces Weakness (6s)

Natural Healing: No changes from current implementation

Beastly Warden: Inflicts Weakness, Taunts foes, and grants the pet Protection (5s) when using F2 skills.

Zephyr’s Speed: No changes to current implementation.

Honed Axes: +150 Precision while wielding an Axe, Reduced recharge on Axe skills. Winter’s Bite is now a Projectile Finisher

Skirmishing*

*Logic: Direct Damage, Conditions
Trait
Hunters Tactics: Grants 10% Critical Strike, and an additional 10% if Duel Welding Weapons.
Tier 1
Sharpened Edges: Now Grants 20% Chance to cause 100 Bleeding on Hit if using a range weapon, or 50% if melee.
Primal Reflexes: Every 5th Attack grants Vigor.
Tier 2
Spotter: Grants 250 Precision
Striders Defense. 20% reduction to sword abilities, and 20% Chance when hit to grant reflection.
Tier 3
Quick Draw: Weapon swapping is reduced by 20%.
Light on your feat: Short bow abilities recharge 20% faster, and have 300 additional range and pierce.

Hunter’s Tactics: Increases effectiveness of Fury (5%)

Sharpened Edges: Bleeding you and your pet inflict last longer (10%)

Primal Reflexes: No change from current implementation

Spotter: No change from current implementation

Strider’s Defense: No change from current implementation.

Quick Draw: No change from current implementation.

Light on Your Feet: Condition Damage and Condition Duration is increased while wielding a Shortbow. Shortbow Skills have reduced Recharge and Arrows Pierce.

Most Dangerous Game: Gain Might and Quickness (2s) whie health is below the threshold (50%)

Wilderness Survival*

]*Logic: Conditions
Trait:
Bark skin: You and your pet take reduced damage when below the thresh hold of 50% Hp. Player Reduction: 20%, and 50% for pet.
Tier 1
Soften The fall: 50% Reduction to fall damage. 200 hp a second when incapacitated.
Oak heart salve: When you are stunned, dazed, etc. Gain regeneration.
Tier 2
Refined Toxins: Every 3 attacks applies poison.
Tier 3
Emphatic Bond: 2 conditions every 2 seconds.
Poison Master: Critical Strikes apply poison. Poison Healing Reduction Improved to 50%, and duration is improved by 20%.

Bark Skin: No changes

Soften the Fall: No changes

Oakheart Salve: No changes

Refined Toxins: Your Critical Hits inflict Poison. ICD of 8s

Empathetic Bond: Your pet removes 2 conditions from you every 8 seconds.

Poison Master: Your pet’s first attack after swapping inflicts Poison. Poision damage and duration increased. Reduced effect to 15% to make up for increased poison application and duration.

Marksmanship*

*Logic: Long Bow, Pets
Trait:
Tier 1
Tier 2
Moment of Clarity: 30% Change to gain clarity on critical Strike
Tier 3
Note: Long Bow Ability 3 (invisibility) Now takes you out of combat if you successfully cloak.

Predator’s Instinct: Cripple duration reduced to 8s, Trait ICD reduced to 14s

Lead The Wind – Pierce effect made baseline for Long Range Shot and Rapid Fire,. Retains Attack Speed Increase and Recharge Reduction. (optional: Long Range Shot always hits for full damage regardless of distance)

Weapons
Axe

Ability 1 now applies bleed effects.
Ability 5 now hovers around the player, and no longer needs to be channeled. 10 second cool down, and 5 second duration.

Reduce Aftercasts on Axe skills

Winter’s Bite AoE trait from Honed Axes is baseline

War horn

Ability 4 reduced cool down to 15 seconds.
Ability 5 reduced cool down to 20 seconds

Hunter’s Call pulses Blind (2s) every 4 hits of its 16. Wildhorn Notes adds Confusion stacks every 2 hits.

Call of the Wild adds Stability (2 stacks) when traited.

Longbow

Long-Range Shot and Rapid Fire Pierces

Barrage CD reduced to 25

Shortbow

Crossfire applies bleeding every 2 attacks. Adds an additional stack if Flanking

Poison Volley fires 3 Poison shots similarly to Rapid Fire

Quickshot grants 3s of Superspeed, removes Immobilize

Concussion Shot CD reduced to 20s

(edited by Euthymias.7984)

in Ranger

Posted by: law.9410

law.9410

My god those passives… this is a joke right? You were so lazy you also applied blanket changes to groups of utilities regardless of functionality. You think sig of hunt and stone should have the same cd? I’m being harsh for your benefit btw, more passives are bad for the game end of story.

in Ranger

Posted by: Obtena.7952

Obtena.7952

If this approach didn’t work in the Guardian forum, why does the OP think it’s going to work here?