Ranger update

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: JonPeters.5630

JonPeters.5630

Game Design Lead

Next

Poof! Someone called and I am here. We made some ranger changes this patch, but had to go back on them because of risk factor. There are some bugs being fixed and quality of life improvements coming in the next patch, as well as some other significant ranger improvements. I would Literally tell you but I think it would be considered a bit of a spoiler so you will have to be patient.

While we work hard to keep updates going on all professions, not very build us going to contain fixes for everyone due to the nature of software development. One problem with rangers is the lack of build diversity created by a number of sub par utility skills. Many signets, a shout or two, and spirits are all a bit lackluster. That is the first place to expect improvements. Second is trying to improve the feel/ pacing on some weapons.

Ok I can’t type more with tiny phone finger keypad. See you in game!

Jon

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Othayuni.7369

Othayuni.7369

This is exactly what we were waiting to hear! This just made my day. Thanks, Jon <3 This post did a lot to restore my faith.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Kerri Knight.3168

Kerri Knight.3168

Thank you for the communication with us!

It is good to see you acknowledge some of the issues we are having (build diversity and especially spirits!). A little affirmation goes a long way :9.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: zappa zenovka.8641

zappa zenovka.8641

Thank you for your posting Jon. I am most grateful, was starting to feel very left out.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: gadenp.7586

gadenp.7586

Hi Jon, thanks for your update. I am really looking forward to the next patch which I presume and pray is next Tuesday/Monday???.

If it could be faster, that is always a great boon to us.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Sals.9534

Sals.9534

/subscribed
Thank you Jon

Colegate / Selos Song Kaineng-DE Guild

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Alur.7510

Alur.7510

Thanks, was about time for this, /gainfaithinAnet+1, my ranger will be “useful again” rawr.

PD: now head to Halloween update! you seem the only 1 active today :/ and halloween people is quite upset with Weapons!

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Sytherek.7689

Sytherek.7689

Thanks for the update. Sounds really, really good.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: BlackRabbit.1259

BlackRabbit.1259

YES! There is a god and his name is JonPeters!!

All we ever wanted was to know something was happening, this is fantastic news! Regardless of outcome, this is enough to keep me going.

If it were legal in my state, i’d marry you.

:)

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Rectifyer.1804

Rectifyer.1804

This is great news. I was literally browsing the forums in search of a new class to roll.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Onza.7165

Onza.7165

Nice going Jon and the rest of the team!
Happy for the people who play rangers!

More violence, less violets.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: BlusterWolf.2103

BlusterWolf.2103

Thank you, this is what we want to hear about, im glad develop team realize the problem of rangers lack of build diversity, I hope we can finally get some fun ranger build going well.

Forty Milliseconds…rangers who remember…know…

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: brandon.6735

brandon.6735

Poof! Someone called and I am here. We made some ranger changes this patch, but had to go back on them because of risk factor. There are some bugs being fixed and quality of life improvements coming in the next patch, as well as some other significant ranger improvements. I would Literally tell you but I think it would be considered a bit of a spoiler so you will have to be patient.

While we work hard to keep updates going on all professions, not very build us going to contain fixes for everyone due to the nature of software development. One problem with rangers is the lack of build diversity created by a number of sub par utility skills. Many signets, a shout or two, and spirits are all a bit lackluster. That is the first place to expect improvements. Second is trying to improve the feel/ pacing on some weapons.

Ok I can’t type more with tiny phone finger keypad. See you in game!

Jon

This is all you guys had to do. We just wanted some communication and you finally did it.

Guardianhipster
Thiefhipster

Ranger update

in Ranger

gadenp.7586

A useless post for damage control, typical.

Well least give them a week grace period. If what it said above does not materialize on the next patch then well then we know, really know where we stand.

It is not the best solution and I for one, and not going to call Jon Peter “a God” (read a post above this), but lets wait and see.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Arrys.7145

Arrys.7145

Whew.

Weapon pace big issue. Functional utilities as well. Shouts definitely…Build diversity (Huge issue), spirits(Lots of issues) I’ve tried dozens to not get pigeonholed but as you clearly know they really don’t work. Very narrow range and options.

Too much work for one patch I suspect but good to know they are actually on the agenda.

Arrys Shaikin
OoS
A whittling ranger becomes viable by forcing his opponent to whittle

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: BlackRabbit.1259

BlackRabbit.1259

@Gadenp

Actually, as far as GW2 goes, he is a God, Creator, Destructor and our future lies totally in his hands!!!

Play nice, or a bolt of 40ms lightening may hit your ranger on the kitten……

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Basho.5936

Basho.5936

Thanks for taking the time to give the ranger players something to look forward to. I’ve been playing my ranger less and less lately due to the lack of build diversity you mentioned.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Doomshot Cindy.4019

Doomshot Cindy.4019

Faith in Humanity restored! Thank you jon. We shall wait with patience.
Thank you for giving us the heads up! (This is the Arenanet I know!)

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Othayuni.7369

Othayuni.7369

The only thing I’d still like to see is a comment on crossfire and crossfire quickness. But maybe that’s what he means by weapon pacing!

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Fayte.1803

Fayte.1803

Yup, giving them a week grace period being a rule out my judgement.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: CRrabbit.1284

CRrabbit.1284

So finally Jon gave up his warrior and tried ranger in pvp or wvw for a bit (I even dare not imagine the result) , I guess.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Boomstin.3460

Boomstin.3460

Thanks for the reply. You made a lot of people happy that things are being worked on and we got acknowledgement that our concerns have been heard.

All is vain.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: promurphy.2761

promurphy.2761

I’m very hopeful about the future.

< Stormbluff Isle >
Pro Murphy: 44 Guardian
Coneybear: 80 Ranger [RETIRED 11/15/2012]

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Delita.8694

Delita.8694

thank you so much jon!!

Ranger update

in Ranger

gadenp.7586

I know that I will come across and cynical. But lets take a wait a see approach. It is great that Anet has replied concerning our concerns and for that we are grateful.

Lets, in all confidence in Anet, wait and see. Once the next weekly or earlier patch comes. Lets tailor our expectations from there. Aka take it one step at a time, till the proof pudding arrives.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: CRrabbit.1284

CRrabbit.1284

So I am wildly guessing :
Buff signet = signet build (max marksman) which means glass-canon build;
Buff spirit = spirit build (max natural magic) which can be either bunker or support build;
Plus the only current viable trap build.
Anet will give us 4 choices in the coming patch.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: mrsrachelm.7618

mrsrachelm.7618

Thank you thank you thank you!

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: andybmcc.8751

andybmcc.8751

Oh my god, I want to use spirits!

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: nic.5720

nic.5720

Thank you, Jon Peters for responding to the hordes of Ranger requests for some communication from the devs. It is genuinely appreciated, even if only in the sense that we now know that the Ranger profession is still a work in progress rather than just being passed over in favour of the other professions.

I look forward to seeing the changes detailed in forthcoming game updates and hope that they manage to put some of the fun back into playing the Ranger profession in GW2.

See how easily pleased drowning men clutching at straws can be!

Edit; However, as others have mentioned… I think it wise to wait and see what happens before we let Anet & the Devs off the hook. Actions speak far louder than words!

(edited by nic.5720)

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: bpphantom.8243

bpphantom.8243

Glad to hear. My Ranger is my second most played character and might be my favourite.

“Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. Then leave the rest to Batman.”

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

This is indeed great news.

But I’m still skeptical. I still remember spirits’ health being halved on a whim (instead of removing the double health trait – thus now requiring a trait to get the same amount of health as the previous untraited version) and spirits receiving an internal cooldown on top of it. Back then I already didn’t care to use spirits because of having to manually recast them every minute and requiring a 30 point trait to make them mobile. I also remember the long wait for our shouts, only to have the old ones return.

So no, I’m going to have to wait and see. Words mean very little right now and these problems were created by their own accord a long time ago and didn’t receive any attention since.

I don’t want to be pessimistic, but I’m going to have to be.

Edit: I’m still waiting for the update

(edited by Holland.9351)

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Vialator.4981

Vialator.4981

Thank You.. just when I thought all hope had gone!
Thank you for the reply…I will now be able to continue playing my ranger with some hope!

Huh?

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Buttercup.5871

Buttercup.5871

Jon, we had been craving for news like this. It’s all you really had to do! Particularly, your acknowledgement of our sub par utility skills is very encouraging.

Thank you so much!

For future purposes, please consider posting this stuff a bit sooner. Just knowing you guys are looking at our feedback and are planning to do something with it, literally means everything. It’s a difference of night and day.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Tolker.4719

Tolker.4719

This is what I was waiting for. Thanks!

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

For future purposes, please consider posting this stuff a bit sooner. Just knowing you guys are looking at our feedback and are planning to do something with it, literally means everything. It’s a difference of night and day.

Aw c’mon. It’s literally hours from the patch.
Dude probably collapsed into an exhausted heap after crunching to get the Halloween patch out, came back the next morning to some CM muttering ‘Jon, the ranger forums are freakin’ out’ and came to placate you with a coffee in one hand. I know we fans can be kind of anxious, but I like to think we’re still letting people sleep :p

Thank you for the red post, kind sir.

(edited by Vox Hollow.2736)

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Chosen.8207

Chosen.8207

Thanks for the update Jon.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: MrLee.6892

MrLee.6892

Thank you for FINALLY giving us some info!!! :P

Can’t wait to see what these changes are!!

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: ChillyChinaman.6057

ChillyChinaman.6057

And now we wait for the follow through.
We’re not out of the storm yet. I’m not giving Anet my trust back yet. I’m am however giving them the chance. And now only time will tell.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Gaiyeerishima Cat.1082

Thank you! I was feeling pretty shattered after rangers got no changes, and I spent all my money on mystic chests thinking the drop rate on hween skins would be higher :/ This gives me some hope!

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Irie.7149

Irie.7149

This was much needed, and very reassuring. Thank you.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: radioactiveramen.7549

radioactiveramen.7549

I really want to strut around with 3+1 spirits.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Activepoison.5829

Activepoison.5829

This was never a bug I remember reading they wanted to distinguish between female and male characters on this armor set.

(edited by Moderator)

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Himei.5379

Himei.5379

I was SERIOUSLY about to come here and *itch about the lack of changes to Ranger (once again) when I saw the patch notes when every class had changes. Thank you for the update but I hope it is for the upcoming patch aka soon.

Off topic but WTF is with buffing a warrior’s rifle damage by 70%?

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Morr.1805

Morr.1805

Thank you very much indeed.
I may go back to my Ranger (my first lvl 80) after all.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Da Poolp.6809

Da Poolp.6809

Thank you John !

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Redscope.6215

Redscope.6215

@Himei Forceful Shot is the underwater burst skill for the speargun.

Thanks for keeping the community informed Jon. I don’t play a ranger but I am interested to see what changes. They’re currently one of the least build-differentiated classes in the game.

Now lets wait for the thief crying to bleed into this post since its about buffing a class that isn’t the thief.

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Jestunhi.7429

Jestunhi.7429

<3

We don’t need to know everything about the changes, we just need to know that we’re not forgotten/ignored.

Thanks.

SoE have finally been knocked off the top spot
in the list of developers I have the least faith & trust in.
Congratulations ArenaNet!

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: Xsorus.2507

Xsorus.2507

The Signets themselves aren’t completely terrible..Health Regen is alright, The Speed is alright (but needs to be faster for the class, 10% is not enough), The Condition removal one is a decent stun break. The only crap one for passive really is The one that makes your pet immune, as it’s passive isn’t stellar, it does however end up being the best one when you pick up the Talent to get the effect though..So I suppose it’s a trade off.

The Main problem with the class is flat out…All the Abilities require multiple talent points to be effective.

Look at the other classes, Their abilities are improved by Talents, However everyone of them is viable without spending talent points in the line.

The Ranger doesn’t follow that..

Traps – You have to pickup the talents, or they’re crap
Spirits – Again…just the same as traps..Only picking up the talents don’t matter, because they’re crap either way.
Shouts – Again..Unless you’re pet build, you won’t use any of them except Protect Me, which works for non pet builds..The others are all crap.

That is like 12 Abilities almost that are completely reliant on Talents to not suck..

Which means Rangers basically end up using things like QZ/LR/Signets because that’s basically all we got.

Hell even QZ kind of blows now..

My best abilities as a Ranger is flat out my Asura Racials.. which flat out trump everything I get ability wise on my Ranger.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Xsorus/videos?view=0
Natures Ninja and Pain Inverter – Ranger PvP movies
http://www.twitch.tv/xsorovos

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: CylarCyr.4087

CylarCyr.4087

Excellent! This is awesome news!

Ranger update

in Ranger

Posted by: MeGaZlo.9516

MeGaZlo.9516

Weeeheheee! I’m so happy! Go for uncork the champagne. Seriously.

The Signets themselves aren’t completely terrible..Health Regen is alright, The Speed is alright (but needs to be faster for the class, 10% is not enough), The Condition removal one is a decent stun break.

So it means they aren’t allright.

(edited by MeGaZlo.9516)