Posted by: AlexRD.7914

AlexRD.7914

(edited by AlexRD.7914)

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Bran.7425

Bran.7425

In before infraction.

Pets have been hidden due to rising Player complaints.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: racta.4250

racta.4250

Impressive. You survived that whole time cause you kept the guy concentrating on moving for 30 seconds.

People stop and do that in all forms of pvp right?
Balance in a vacuum weeee

Racta
[Bush] – Dragonbrand

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Yeti.6573

Yeti.6573

I wonder what two rangers facing off at range while doing this dance would look like. Hahaha.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

AlexRD.7914

Impressive. You survived that whole time cause you kept the guy concentrating on moving for 30 seconds.

Ok, i will do another video just to prove how wrong you are

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: garethh.3518

garethh.3518

That… issues…. makes longbow useless.
It makes shortbow average, it is fine in the majority of S/TPvP just terrible at keeping a 900~ range and pewing away at people fighting over a BO or whatnot.

(edited by garethh.3518)

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: BroScientist.9875

BroScientist.9875

Concentrated on moving? How much focus does it take to hold down a button? Everyone moves in WvW. How often do you see someone standing still? Only when they’re afk.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

garethh.3518

Concentrated on moving? How much focus does it take to hold down a button? Everyone moves in WvW. How often do you see someone standing still? Only when they’re afk.

Its not just concentrating… I can stare at my movement keys as much as I want but they won’t dodge arrows…
Seriously though you have to be moving nearly left to right in correlation to the ranger to dodge arrows or be at the complete extent of their range… it isn’t simply “oh I can dodge arrows without dodging so never get hit by arrows” its far more situational that…. you can completely sacrifice movement while unsnared to pretty much only go back and forth, left to right just to avoid a mediocre spammable…. but that typically is far from the best course of action….

(edited by garethh.3518)

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Esrever.8613

Esrever.8613

hahahahahahahahaha

sllaw eht no nettirw gnihtemos saw ecno ereht

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Syko.3726

Syko.3726

I laughed legit

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Mesh.1506

Mesh.1506

Clearly outplayed.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

AlexRD.7914

Since someone said that the person had to focus on movement, here is an example of how wrong that person was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poltQGmLu5M

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Mesh.1506

Since someone said that the person had to focus on movement, here is an example of how wrong that person was: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poltQGmLu5M

LOL even better than the first one. My favourite part is when the pet dies.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

AlexRD.7914

Here is an extra one, just for the LOLs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iK-QnDSKys

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Mesh.1506

Here is an extra one, just for the LOLs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iK-QnDSKys

I knew pet pathing was atrocious but even I didn’t think it was this bad. It looks like your wolf/horse is the ele’s pet.
This amazing thread will get closed but it’s actually a perfect demonstration of some of our biggest problems.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Esrever.8613

I love how useless melee pets are.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: ItIsFinished.9462

ItIsFinished.9462

I can guarantee you that the first moderator to spot this will copy the link and email it around their office with a "LOL" or "Check this out" in the subject line. Once they get a good laugh they will close this thread.

Arrow Slanger »—> »—> »—>
The Never Ending Repertoire of Ranger Builds
Salt of the Earth {SALT} Crystal Desert© ~~Dragon Rank~~

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: nldixon.8514

nldixon.8514

Yes, everybody knows that pet pathing is awful and arrows are easy to dodge.

The videos are pointless though, because no real fight is going to play out like that unless it’s a bad player versus a bad player.

Everybody already knows about these issues. Making videos in unrealistic situations to showcase the problem doesn’t accomplish anything.

The horse is dead.

[Edit: And just for the record, the wolf pet would have leaped and knocked him down had you not been spamming the attack button to override the pet queue.]

(edited by nldixon.8514)

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

AlexRD.7914

The videos are pointless though, because no real fight is going to play out like that unless it’s a bad player versus a bad player.

Everybody already knows about these issues. Making videos in unrealistic situations to showcase the problem doesn’t accomplish anything.

The horse is dead.

[Edit: And just for the record, the wolf pet would have leaped and knocked him down had you not been spamming the attack button to override the pet queue.]

Well, actually this happens if the player fighting the ranger is smart. For instance, while defending a fort, if the attackers are smart, they don’t need to worry about the ranger, cause they only have to strafe left and right. AND, when defending a fort, the obstructed bug becomes 10 times worse.
( What i showed was actually someone dodging arrows at 600-700 range, try doing that at 1200 range and you’ll see what i mean)

When fighting any class that kites, your pet will be useless and will serve as a Cloak and Dagger target for the thief.

And, just for the record, i just spammed the attack button on the end, just to show how that wouldn’t have helped.

(edited by AlexRD.7914)

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Kincaidia.3192

Kincaidia.3192

Try dodging thief arrows. Dang things must be heat-seeking.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

garethh.3518

When fighting any class that kites, your pet will be useless and will serve as a Cloak and Dagger target for the thief.

Your running a wolf for christs sakes… it has a kittening leap that knocks people down… a leap you yourself can interupt right before it launches if you see the enemy has kited out of range (if you are silly and didn’t cripple the enemy right as you see the wolf’s animation start) or has stability up or is dodge rolling exc… wolves can aoe fear… I’ve screwed up soooo many kiters just because of a well played wolf…
You can even fear theives out of their shadow refuge…

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Vox Hollow.2736

Vox Hollow.2736

This is a touch too contrived to be a good and proper commiserating thread.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

The horse is dead.

Well, actually this happens if the player fighting the ranger is smart. For instance, while defending a fort, if the attackers are smart, they don’t need to worry about the ranger, cause they only have to strafe left and right. AND, when defending a fort, the obstructed bug becomes 10 times worse.
( What i showed was actually someone dodging arrows at 600-700 range, try doing that at 1200 range and you’ll see what i mean)

And, just for the record, i just spammed the attack button on the end, just to show how that wouldn’t have helped.

Yes, you’re right. I know that every single time I’m attacking a fort the defenders are constantly doing the peepee dance back and forth on the walls while laughing and hurling insults at the hordes of Rangers attacking their fort. Oh, wait…

Nobody realistically does this for several reasons, the most important reason being that they’re going to be actively trying to kill you instead of dancing back and forth. Second, if they stand there doing that dumb dance while there are other players around, they’re going to get smashed.

You act like this is something everybody does every time they see a Ranger. They don’t, because a Ranger with a bow isn’t some terrifying force of nature that everyone flees from the second they see one.

Finally, by spamming the attack button you’re actually making your pet less effective by filling its queue with the attack command instead of allowing to actually use its abilities. I have a feeling you knew this, but in case you didn’t, now you do.

This is a touch too contrived to be a good and proper commiserating thread.

Hit the nail on the head.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Taym.8326

Taym.8326

Okay now we just need one with your pet chasing and your bow at the same time. We also need one with them strafing back and forth while your pet attacks as well.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Mesh.1506

He doesn’t spam auto-attack until the last 10 seconds of the video, the first 20 feature the pet trying and failing to get into any sort of opportunity to launch an attack.

I agree that these are unrealistic circumstances and rangers aren’t completely and utterly useless as some people like to claim, but the fact remains that everything shown in all 3 of these videos should NOT be happening, under any circumstances.

(edited by Mesh.1506)

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

He doesn’t spam auto-attack until the last 10 seconds of the video, the first 20 feature the pet trying and failing to get into any sort of opportunity to launch an attack.

I agree that these are unrealistic circumstances and rangers aren’t completely and utterly useless as some people like to claim, but the fact remains that everything shown in all 3 of these videos should NOT be happening, under any circumstances.

I absolutely agree with you. But they’re all issues that everybody and their brother is already aware of and making videos about it and crying on the forum doesn’t really accomplish much of anything. Except making Rangers look like crybabies.

Like I said, the horse is supremely dead.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Thanks AlexRD for posting this! Don’t know if one should laugh or cry – it really is this bad. Closing this thread? Nah, should be stickied to get some attention. Video 2 and 3… classes balanced? Lol!

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

Somebody send me about a thousand bucks and I’ll upgrade my PC so I can make some videos of Rangers doing awesome things. We have enough videos of Rangers drowning in their own tears.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Dante Dragonhand.2538

Dante Dragonhand.2538

That isnt the point of the videos. Its to show that we need incredibly lucky situations to get certain pets to land hits and our arrows to land. Ive foughten many great players and they kite and dodge the hell out of my arrows and pet, seriously, why is it saying out of range or obstructed on every shot. Bug was working overtime for me today.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Iylas.9074

Iylas.9074

While things aren’t quite as bad as the video makes it seem, it sure does feel like this happens more times than not.

Thanks for the laugh at work though, much appreciated.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

Somebody send me about a thousand bucks and I’ll upgrade my PC so I can make some videos of Rangers doing awesome things. We have enough videos of Rangers drowning in their own tears.

Sigh.

You’re clearly and utterly missing the points of the videos. Go troll somewhere else.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Most people complaining missed the point of the video.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

nldixon.8514

That isnt the point of the videos. Its to show that we need incredibly lucky situations to get certain pets to land hits and our arrows to land. Ive foughten many great players and they kite and dodge the hell out of my arrows and pet, seriously, why is it saying out of range or obstructed on every shot. Bug was working overtime for me today.

Whaaat? This is wrong. We don’t need to be “incredibly lucky” to get our pets to land attacks or our arrows to hit. The majority of my arrows land in PvP, even with people moving.

If someone is standing in one spot spastically mashing their strafe keys, then arrows might miss. If they’re doing this, your pet will eat them alive. If you’re standing there and continuing to shoot them while they’re doing this, that’s your own fault. Good players aren’t going to stand in one spot and strafe back and forth just to dodge a few arrows from a Ranger.

Nobody is arguing that there are currently a plethora of Ranger bugs that need to be addressed, but making videos like this is a waste of time for everybody.

If you’re standing still and shooting at a target that’s strafing back and forth while your pet sits by your side, you’re a terrible player and you deserve to lose every one on one you get into. Just sayin’.

Sigh.

You’re clearly and utterly missing the points of the videos. Go troll somewhere else.

No, I got the point of the videos. It’s to showcase unrealistic scenarios to facilitate more boohooing on the Ranger forums and to beat to death a completely dead and decomposed horse. I got it.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Aridia.3042

Aridia.3042

Protip: Add the Benny Hill theme to your vids. It instantly makes it 100 times better.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Esrever.8613

moving in an oval is all you need to do to make up to 30% of the arrows miss and the pet to do nothing. so 50% of ranger dps is gone. great stuff.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

BroScientist.9875

LOL, this thread is gold.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Nefar.8135

Nefar.8135

HaH – That was great.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Yeti.6573

Yeti.6573

While the videos were funny, nldixon is right…not very realistic as far as real performance. I used the sPvP build he posted a while ago and am happy to say that I ENJOY (Yes….Enjoy) sPvP on my ranger. I can’t comment on tournies, I don’t do those often. This is coming from a player who played backstab thief since beta and hates, hates, hates to be outplayed. Yes, ranger is fun in sPvP, if you know how to play and counter common classes (er hm…Backstab thief)

That being said, as everyone in this thread can agree on, there ARE issues with the ranger class, but they do NOT make or break the game. I enjoy my ranger tons more than I do any other class, despite the issues, which I’m sure will be fixed in due time.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Wizardauz.3761

Wizardauz.3761

Srsly. Im guardian. And i just feel bad man for you guys. Thats just sad.

No need to waste a reflect projectile utility now.

Side-Step-Spam FTW!

Ehmry Bay – Good Fights Guild Leader
Lvl 80 Sylvari Guardian – Tzenjin [GF]
Lvl 80 Human Elementalist – Tzenkai [GF]

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Ryan.6951

Ryan.6951

BRB leveling my ranger.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Crazy.3681

Crazy.3681

Whaaat? This is wrong. We don’t need to be “incredibly lucky” to get our pets to land attacks or our arrows to hit. The majority of my arrows land in PvP, even with people moving.

If someone is standing in one spot spastically mashing their strafe keys, then arrows might miss. If they’re doing this, your pet will eat them alive. If you’re standing there and continuing to shoot them while they’re doing this, that’s your own fault. Good players aren’t going to stand in one spot and strafe back and forth just to dodge a few arrows from a Ranger.

Nobody is arguing that there are currently a plethora of Ranger bugs that need to be addressed, but making videos like this is a waste of time for everybody.

If you’re standing still and shooting at a target that’s strafing back and forth while your pet sits by your side, you’re a terrible player and you deserve to lose every one on one you get into. Just sayin’.

Sigh.

No, I got the point of the videos. It’s to showcase unrealistic scenarios to facilitate more boohooing on the Ranger forums and to beat to death a completely dead and decomposed horse. I got it.

Well that escalated quickly.

Besides the obvious butthurt, Rangers need to catch a break. There are way too many nerfs and bugs that need to be addressed.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

Sigh.

And against good players, it becomes easy to kite our pet and dodge arrows. I do it against other rangers all the time, it makes me sad. At this point I just want them to buff arrow projectile speed, after that they can do w/e they want.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Kellie.3687

Kellie.3687

At least I can continue being an adventure like you, because there is no risk of taking an arrow to the knee!

Really though, the Pet thing was really hard to watch, the main pet class in game… but the pet seams more interested to run side by side with your enemy.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

BroScientist.9875

Posted this on Reddit for more awareness.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Holland.9351

Holland.9351

I think both issues are by design.

There are always situations in pvp where someone is being attacked by arrows, but unable to attack the ranger because of terrain. So they might have made the ranger bows dumb-fire to give someone the ability to prevent the damage. I don’t really understand why ranged weapons of other classes don’t dumb-fire though. I think rifles also dumb fire, but their projectile speed is just way higher. Although it’s more realistic, it really does make a difference in gameplay.

As for pets, they simply use regular NPC AI. If they could improve pet AI, they would also improve NPC AI in PVE. It’s either not in their ability to improve it or it’s simply by design to give people a reason to move and strafe in PVE fights.

So in conclusion, both the pet and the bow issues are in the game to make people move around while fighting and not stand still like in other mmos. The problem for rangers is that this both effects them greatly.

I don’t see them improving or fixing either of these issues, except perhaps by increasing projectile speed to bring it closer to the rifle in chance to hit. And if you’re lucky, they might add a pet that has no attack animation and instantly hits its target, or a pet which gives passive buffs to the ranger.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Dante Dragonhand.2538

I think both issues are by design.

There are always situations in pvp where someone is being attacked by arrows, but unable to attack the ranger because of terrain. So they might have made the ranger bows dumb-fire to give someone the ability to prevent the damage. I don’t really understand why ranged weapons of other classes don’t dumb-fire though. I think rifles also dumb fire, but their projectile speed is just way higher. Although it’s more realistic, it really does make a difference in gameplay.

As for pets, they simply use regular NPC AI. If they could improve pet AI, they would also improve NPC AI in PVE. It’s either not in their ability to improve it or it’s simply by design to give people a reason to move and strafe in PVE fights.

So in conclusion, both the pet and the bow issues are in the game to make people move around while fighting and not stand still like in other mmos. The problem for rangers is that this both effects them greatly.

I don’t see them improving or fixing either of these issues, except perhaps by increasing projectile speed to bring it closer to the rifle in chance to hit. And if you’re lucky, they might add a pet that has no attack animation and instantly hits its target, or a pet which gives passive buffs to the ranger.

I can say with 100% certainty this is false. It isnt by design. A sniper getting good position shouldnt be punished, yet ranger is the only one who is. I play a rifle warrior too, I dont lose damage when on higher ground and my bullets are almost impossible to side step, where as my ranger on high ground has a pet that cant path so while we cant be hit from melee we cant do enough damage to kill any1. Pets ai us crap atm, again, not by design. I bet they fix both but I just want my damage to be able to land, pet ai fixed, arrows moving like bullets=gg.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Trippen.3408

Trippen.3408

Too funny. Frustrating as hell, but I lol’d.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Strongfort.2451

Strongfort.2451

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!

I have been asking someone to make these exact videos for a while now.

Arenanet needs to finally fix both of these as they make the ranger a total joke. I switched to Engy a while ago, and won’t go back until they are fixed.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: dzeRnumbrd.6129

dzeRnumbrd.6129

Protip: Add the Benny Hill theme to your vids. It instantly makes it 100 times better.

This.

Rangers are OP

in Ranger

Posted by: Balkep.9756

Balkep.9756

I bet now we’ll get another underwater damage buff.