Why the current sword needs polishing

in Ranger

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Since the last post of this matter is rather old, I’ll make a new one.

Things I’ve noticed that aren’t optimal:
Autoattack:

1. Second and third attacks prevent dodges and movement
  2. Second and third attacks prevent proper use of other skills
  3. Constantly jumping into the hitbox of enemies -> enemy gets pushed away
  4. Cleaving is almost impossible to do
  5. Second attack doesn’t cleave -> DPS loss while cleaving
  6. Attackchain is hard to handle on a weapon that isn’t even on par with weapons of other classes and for a class that has to handle a flawed pet -> I don’t like the high skillcap
  7. Has the only leaps ingame that aren’t leapfinisher

Hornet Sting + Monachr’s Leap

1. Casttime way too long for an reactive skill -> Not usable to react to the enemy
  2. Damage increase neglectable -> Not worth to include into a damagerotation
  3. Direction of the evade backwards is hard to anticipate against moving targets
  4. Uptime of Monarch’s Leap is way too short -> You’re forced to jump back to the enemy almost immediately if you want to close the distance again
  5. Hard to utilize to gain ground

Serpent’s Strike

1. Evade time doesn’t match the animation time
  2. Hard to anticipate against moving targets
  3. Could use a bit more damage

Summary:
The most problems are caused by the autoattack chain. The jumps are most of the time a hindrance and no help. They need to be removed. Furthermore, the second autoattack has to cleave like the other autoattacks.
Hornet Sting and Monarch’s Leap are one of a kind. I can’t get behind the purpose of those skills. The activation time is too long to be used reactively, the evasion backwards doesn’t help in most cases and the uptime of Monarch’s Leap is way too small. You could only use this skill advantageously if you want to disengage.
Serpent’s Strike is a pretty good skill but I don’t like the repositioning since you hardly gain any advantage through it. I also don’t like the animation time, since it leaves you vulnerable, same as Counterattack.

Suggestion:
So how to fix those flaws? I’ll post my ideas I had awhile ago:

Sword AA: Remove the leaps.
This is the only way I can think of to not hinder the player from moving/evading as he pleases.

Hornet Sting, Monarch’s Leap: 2 forward leaps (430, 300 units) and a third leap if an enemy got hit during the first two leaps (600 units). CD: 20 secs. Uptime: 10 seconds for the second leap, another 10 seconds for the third leap (if triggered). The target will be crippled.
The first two leaps are taken from the current AA, while the third leap, if an enemy has been struck during the first two leaps, offers additional mobility to keep up with the target. Ambient creatures can be used to trigger the third leap to gain more distance.

Serpent’s Strike: Evade in the direction you are currently running (200 units? A little bit shorter than a normal dodge) and leap towards your target (100 units further than the evade) immediately afterwards. If you haven’t targeted anyone, you’ll just evade backwards.
If you strafe right the skill will almost be the same as now. However it will be more versatile, since you can use it in any direction. It can also be used to gain distance by dodging forward, followed by a jump forward.

Anticipated impact:
The sword would be as sticky as it is now, but it would be way easier to control.
The smoother activation times should also help the weapon to feel less clunky.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

I know there are many folks out there that like the current sword because it takes skill to work around/with the autoattacks. Well, I’m not one of those. I don’t like the skillcap on a weapon for a class which has already a pet to handle. I think the purposed playstyle of this weapon was to be constantly on the move and sticky to the enemy. I tried to keep the playstyle to not upset anyone who’s using the sword but to smooth down the skills, so the can be used reactively. If you have any suggestion how to keep the current playstyle but to also lower the skillcap, feel free to elaborate.

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

I was going to do a point by point but I couldn’t. I mean I just disagree. I don’t think you’re wrong with your points, I just — if I had my way — would design the sword exactly the way it is right now. It’s very important to how I play that it stay the way it is. Everything many people view as a negative is a positive to someone who likes the sword.

What I view as the best solution, which I would LOVE, is to add a third mainhand melee weapon.

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

I would be fine with that too, if it would be a competitive PDS weapon. I would also love to have the torch as mainhand condition weapon. I just can’t understand how the people are ok with a weapon that has a playstyle that is more of a hindrance in many situations. Ofcourse you can kite with it but that is useless in PvE, which is still the biggest part of GW2.

in Ranger

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I like the current sword. Combined with quickness, you can stick to a stealthed opponent with relative ease, further pushing the ranger to the point of being the anti-thief.

in Ranger

Posted by: TurtleDragon.3108

TurtleDragon.3108

Laziest solution would be a overall damage buff for the class and/or sword. It’d still be high risk and high skill cap, but it would atleast have the high reward associated with it.

What I view as the best solution, which I would LOVE, is to add a third mainhand melee weapon.

I agree with this. Mainhand Dagger pls.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Ya it’s clearly designed as a competitive weapon. The fact that it’s the best PvE weapon I almost feel is an accident. That’s probably where the hate originates.

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

I like the current sword. Combined with quickness, you can stick to a stealthed opponent with relative ease, further pushing the ranger to the point of being the anti-thief.

How do you want to stick to a stealthed opponent? o.O

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

If I may answer since I’m here: you literally go flying when you hit a stealthed thief. You can’t stick to him, but you can find out exactly where he is. It’s very powerful, especially combined with maul.

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

Yes ok, but you could do that with any kind of weapon. If anything, any other weapon would be better to spot thieves since you wont leap away from them as soon as you hit them.

in Ranger

Posted by: Zelulose.8695

Zelulose.8695

I have to complain about auto attack as well. I hate have a full energy bar while unable to dodge while auto attacking with the sword.

Lucky Leaf, Ángël, Clergyman, Side Kick -Lets make Gw2 a better game

in Ranger

Posted by: alamore.1974

alamore.1974

I’m no ranger pro but I love the auto attack, its hella funny.to.watch.people try.and.run.away.from me,
Personaly serpents strike seems like a side step dodge, and counter which I’m fine with it.just seems…clunky, but added with dagger offhand I can.completly avoid heavy.hitters.
And using hornet sting to back out of a fight.and.switch to my axe is way nice.

in Ranger

Posted by: FrouFrou.4958

FrouFrou.4958

If I may answer since I’m here: you literally go flying when you hit a stealthed thief. You can’t stick to him, but you can find out exactly where he is. It’s very powerful, especially combined with maul.

I think GS autoattack works better than the sword since you won’t fly off and lose the spot where the thief is downed at!

Froudactyl // Herp Derp Druid // Judge Legends [JDGE] // Seafarer’s Rest

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

The leap is on the third hit meaning you have to hit a stealthed target twice to fly. That either requires extreme luck or an extremely bad theif.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

The leap is on the third hit meaning you have to hit a stealthed target twice to fly. That either requires extreme luck or an extremely bad theif.

Yet again the sword neither excels at spotting stealthed enemies nor it is intended to do so.

in Ranger

Posted by: Jim Hunter.6821

Jim Hunter.6821

I would just like for dodge to override the attack chain. Or just up the dps on GS to match it.

Also known as Puck when my account isn’t suspended
LGN

in Ranger

Posted by: SemiProBBQ.8946

SemiProBBQ.8946

Some of us like the sword the way it is, what I really wish they would do is make the axe a melee cleave weapon so people could use it in any manner of pve other than to kill blooms in TA

Delecroix – Ranger master race

in Ranger

Posted by: shadowpass.4236

shadowpass.4236

What?

That makes no sense.

I was a power ranger before it was cool.
Guild Leader of Favorable Winds [Wind]

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Nope, wrong. You can tell the instant you hit with the sword. Once you hit once, just maul him with the next attack.

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Nope, wrong. You can tell the instant you hit with the sword. Once you hit once, just maul him with the next attack.

Nope, wrong. Maul is on Greatsword smart one.

Stop trying to prove your point, it makes no sense.

You can tell the instant you hit with the Greatsword too… soooo…

Its not very powerful either… and Maul only does a lot of damage on zerk builds if u crit and have one or two big damage modifiers like Signet of the Hunt, Moment of Clarity, Signet of the Wild, a lot of might stacks, and/or some of the X% modifiers from traits.

(edited by shadowpass.4236)

in Ranger

Posted by: Prysin.8542

Prysin.8542

I know there are many folks out there that like the current sword because it takes skill to work around/with the autoattacks. Well, I’m not one of those. I don’t like the skillcap on a weapon for a class which has already a pet to handle.

let me get this straight.

you admitt you suck at playing ranger. You admitt that you do not like “putting in effort to gain a reward”. Thus you demand that arenanet cater to your lazyness.

Let me ask you this; Why on earth should they cater to your selfish needs?

Lv 80 Guard, Ranger, Ele, Thief, warr, engi
Currently @ some T1 server in EU

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

I know there are many folks out there that like the current sword because it takes skill to work around/with the autoattacks. Well, I’m not one of those. I don’t like the skillcap on a weapon for a class which has already a pet to handle.

let me get this straight.

you admitt you suck at playing ranger. You admitt that you do not like “putting in effort to gain a reward”. Thus you demand that arenanet cater to your lazyness.

Let me ask you this; Why on earth should they cater to your selfish needs?

Who the hell on the entire earth should listen to your sorry whiny kitten ? If you would been asked, you probably would say that the ranger is at a good spot, despite many people disagree with you.
It does take skill to “master” the sword but I wont invest time in something that is flawed just to make it work. And even if it works, I’m even with other classes at best.
And stop your “you all can’t play” nonsense one and for all!

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

uhm… i only talked about you. There is like, only 4-5 people i tell to “L2P” on this subforum, you just happen to have made it onto that list through sheer ignorance of the class and sheer neglect of it’s mechanics. Thus you show zero intention to play the class properly, yet you come onto the forums in a meager attempt to “tell the devs” by constantly screaming about issues that is non-existent.

Oh and to clear some misconceptions you may or may not have of me; Yes i do agree rangers need some changes here and there, but not in such massive ways that most of you lot think. I kinda enjoy NOT being carried by some imbalanced mechanic or overzealously buffed skill and trait sets.

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

uhm… i only talked about you. There is like, only 4-5 people i tell to “L2P” on this subforum, you just happen to have made it onto that list through sheer ignorance of the class and sheer neglect of it’s mechanics. Thus you show zero intention to play the class properly, yet you come onto the forums in a meager attempt to “tell the devs” by constantly screaming about issues that is non-existent.

And why can I sum up almost all of your posts with “L2P or reroll”?
I literally haven’t seen any other posts from your end. And once again: If the majority says something is unbalanced, there is probably some truth behind it.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Nope, wrong. Maul is on Greatsword smart one.

Stop trying to prove your point, it makes no sense.

You can tell the instant you hit with the Greatsword too… soooo…

Its not very powerful either… and Maul only does a lot of damage on zerk builds if u crit and have one or two big damage modifiers like Signet of the Hunt, Moment of Clarity, Signet of the Wild, a lot of might stacks, and/or some of the X% modifiers from traits.

Hit him with the sword, see that you hit him, swap to maul.

I don’t give a good flying kitten if you use it or not, but that’s how you track a stealthed thief. This isn’t something that needs you to argue with people over.

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

I don’t give a good flying kitten if you use it or not, but that’s how you track a stealthed thief. This isn’t something that needs you to argue with people over.

Or you could just hit him with the Greatsword in the first place? Doing this doesn’t require a weapon swap…

Like I said, Maul isn’t very powerful on its own, and there are many ways to track a stealthed thief.

Rapid Fire and Sic ’Em are the easiest ones to use.

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

Or you could just hit him with the Greatsword in the first place? Doing this doesn’t require a weapon swap…

Like I said, Maul isn’t very powerful on its own, and there are many ways to track a stealthed thief.

Rapid Fire and Sic ’Em are the easiest ones to use.

I think the reason why you would want to use sword is because the first attack is so fast.

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

You could be in GS to begin with, but the topic was about using a 1h sword to track thieves. GS only came up because I said once you know where the thief is, maul is a good follow up. 1h sword doesn’t do very well by itself against thieves, you’ll only get 2 hits in and have no damage boosted skills to use.

in Ranger

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

What?

That makes no sense.

The ranger is the only class with access to inflict Revealed on an opponent. We also have channeled burst attacks which counter stealth, and pets have a pseudo-cast in each attack that let’s them follow an enemy just after they’ve stealthed. ANet’s pushing the ranger to be the class that puts thieves in their place. That much is clear already.

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Combined with quickness, you can stick to a stealthed opponent with relative ease

What?

That makes no sense.

The ranger is the only class with access to inflict Revealed on an opponent. We also have channeled burst attacks which counter stealth, and pets have a pseudo-cast in each attack that let’s them follow an enemy just after they’ve stealthed. ANet’s pushing the ranger to be the class that puts thieves in their place. That much is clear already.

“Combined with quickness, you can stick to a stealthed opponent with relative ease”

What you just mentioned wasn’t even in the first quote. He was talking about using a sword with quickness to track a stealthed thief…

This makes no sense whatsoever. Especially the part where he mentioned that it was relatively easy to do so.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Combined with quickness, you can stick to a stealthed opponent with relative ease

What?

That makes no sense.

“Combined with quickness, you can stick to a stealthed opponent with relative ease”

What you just mentioned wasn’t even in the first quote. He was talking about using a sword with quickness to track a stealthed thief…

This makes no sense whatsoever. Especially the part where he mentioned that it was relatively easy to do so.

1 anticipate thief CnD, Steal, SR or blinding powder
2 have sword out and spam 111111111
3 use Quickening Zephyr or that pet swap trait (forgot name)
4 watch how you jump after the thieves relative position with ease.

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

4 watch how you jump in the middle of nowhere and giving the thief the opportunity to backstab you

Fixed that, so many typos on your part .

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

4 watch how you jump in the middle of nowhere and giving the thief the opportunity to backsab you

Wolf F2

Oh wait, that’s a pet function. Forgot you don’t use those. Well now you do. The more you know

EDIT: a thief backsabbing me? Dunno what that is, but it sound really perverse

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

4 watch how you jump after the thieves relative position with ease.

2. Sure. I’ll try that and then…

4. “What the kitten, how did I get halfway across the map and hit the thief twice while I keep spamming 1111111 hitting nothing but air, but hey, Prysin knows what he’s talking about so I should keep doing this while the thief /laugh(s) at me 300 units away.”

Did what I say make sense? -Crowd Cheers- whoooooooooo

lol.

the sarcasm is strong in me today.

lol again.

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

4 watch how you jump in the middle of nowhere and giving the thief the opportunity to backsab you

Wolf F2

Oh wait, that’s a pet function. Forgot you don’t use those. Well now you do. The more you know

So you rely on your pet to fear the thief into the direction you’ve anticipated?
If the wolf would be positioned correctly and the F2 goes instantly off, I would agree with you.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Wolf F2

So you rely on your pet to fear the thief into the direction you’ve anticipated?
If the wolf would be positioned correctly and the F2 goes instantly off, I would agree with you.

and since pet gains quickness when you do, then yes, it will almost instantly go off (1). Yes aligning the pet with you is hard, aligning yourself with the pets LoS is not.

(1) = depending on server load, player packet loss and player PC specs.

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

Wolf F2

EDIT:* a thief backsabbing me? Dunno what that is, but it sound really perverse*

LOL we have a grammar kitten here. You know what he means but you choose to correct him on grammar in order to make his post irrelevant. We all know what he tried to say so all you accomplished in your edit is to make is sound like you have nothing else to say and therefore decided to fix some grammar to add a little extra oomph to your argument.

Now, what HHR typed in the first bold makes sense. You told him to 111111 to track the thief in stealth because it actually works (LOL. “Le-meow!” the French cat exclaims) and he did. So, what happens next? Well, why don’t you “watch how you jump in the middle of nowhere and giving the thief the opportunity to backstab you”.

See what I did there? I fixed the word “backsab” because it was obviously too hard to read for you. WHOA! Look at that, now half your “argument” is gone with the press of a button.

Now does what he said make sense?

lol.

and lol again.

in Ranger

Prysin.8542

Wolf F2

EDIT:* a thief backsabbing me? Dunno what that is, but it sound really perverse*

LOL we have a grammar kitten here. You know what he means but you choose to correct him on grammar in order to make his post irrelevant. We all know what he tried to say so all you accomplished in your edit is to make is sound like you have nothing else to say and therefore decided to fix some grammar to add a little extra oomph to your argument.

Now, what HHR typed in the first bold makes sense. You told him to 111111 to track the thief in stealth because it actually works (LOL. “Le-meow!” the French cat exclaims) and he did. So, what happens next? Well, why don’t you “watch how you jump in the middle of nowhere and giving the thief the opportunity to backstab you”.

See what I did there? I fixed the word “backsab” because it was obviously too hard to read for you. WHOA! Look at that, now half your “argument” is gone with the press of a button.

lol.

and lol again.

splendid sir, i never knew that he meant backstab. I imagined the thief doing something rather unappropriate for a game of this rating. Now it all makes sense to me, up until the point where the thieve backstabs you, which shouldn’t happen in the first place as Wolf F2 fear lasts 3 seconds and stealth lasts 4 so he will never backstab you on the initial stealth. If he chooses to re-stealth while in stealth, the 1111 spam trick does not work though, in which case, just count to 3 inside you and press 3 or dodge backwards. Which by all means should prevent the next backstab. Unless the thief used steal, as it places the thief right behind you. In which case you’d be screwd either way as only 3 things can save you from that combo. That being GS4, Protect me or Signet of Stone.

cheers

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

Wolf F2

lol.

and lol again.

splendid sir, i never knew that he meant backstab. I imagined the thief doing something rather unappropriate for a game of this rating. Now it all makes sense to me, up until the point where the thieve backstabs you, which shouldn’t happen in the first place as Wolf F2 fear lasts 3 seconds and stealth lasts 4 so he will never backstab you on the initial stealth. If he chooses to re-stealth while in stealth, the 1111 spam trick does not work though, in which case, just count to 3 inside you and press 3 or dodge backwards. Which by all means should prevent the next backstab. Unless the thief used steal, as it places the thief right behind you. In which case you’d be screwd either way as only 3 things can save you from that combo. That being GS4, Protect me or Signet of Stone.

cheers

Well, next time just say that I forgot a t there…

in Ranger

shadowpass.4236

@Prysin

or dodges. you forgot to mention that.

Also, you seem to forget that a wolf’s fear is very telegraphed. Even more so, you seem to forget that a thief can dodge the fear.

I could say “Also…” twenty more times since half (more than half… hell, almost all) of your last post (in this thread… just had to make that clear) does not make sense, so I will do so. (just don’t make fun of me please)

so… here we go.

Also, Hornet Sting can be used as an evade.
Also, Monarch’s Leap can be used to get out of range of a backstab (with a “t” because that was very important).
Also, count the cooldown of the steal and be prepared to dodge (its fairly easy to figure out) if you really insist on counting the cooldown of every skill the thief has access to.
Also, there aren’t only 3 things that can save you from that combo (I just mentioned plenty more above.
Also, I feel like I should mention it so that you will stop mentioning it. The “1111” spam trick does not work at all while your target is in stealth…
Also, this is what we are/were trying to tell you this entire time but you seemed not to get that.

We must’ve missed a letter somewhere.

Get it?

LOL. I’m highlarryeeus (hilarious is the correct spelling Prysin, just felt like I should mention that in case you didn’t understand that either)

(edited by shadowpass.4236)

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

Meh, I’ll use it since it IS our top DPS weapon.

But if devs do offer a rework, I’ll be the first in line.

in Ranger

Posted by: gawker.8340

gawker.8340

Reverse leap chain for #2 on sword. It’s better that way for combo fields.

in Ranger

HHR LostProphet.4801

That would make the second part completely useless.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lake.9842

Lake.9842

I was going to do a point by point but I couldn’t. I mean I just disagree. I don’t think you’re wrong with your points, I just — if I had my way — would design the sword exactly the way it is right now. It’s very important to how I play that it stay the way it is. Everything many people view as a negative is a positive to someone who likes the sword.

Can you explain this please?
I recently starting playing ranger and it seems to me that the sword is actually a really low skill cap weapon that basically involves watching your character be locked into an auto-attack animation until whatever you are hitting is dead. (Note, I do know that the animation can be cancelled but appears to take almost a second to do so.) The other skills don’t add much dps and are meant for evasion, but with the delay can’t be used to dodge much of anything (along with 3 usually just rolling me into terrain and not actually connecting).

Presumably I am using the sword wrong, but how is it meant to be used?

in Ranger

Posted by: solrik.6028

solrik.6028

Since the last post of this matter is rather old, I’ll make a new one.

Things I’ve noticed that aren’t optimal:
Autoattack:

1. Second and third attacks prevent dodges and movement
  2. Second and third attacks prevent proper use of other skills
  3. Constantly jumping into the hitbox of enemies -> enemy gets pushed away
  4. Cleaving is almost impossible to do
  5. Second attack doesn’t cleave -> DPS loss while cleaving
  6. Attackchain is hard to handle on a weapon that isn’t even on par with weapons of other classes and for a class that has to handle a flawed pet -> I don’t like the high skillcap
  7. Has the only leaps ingame that aren’t leapfinisher

Why would you want to cleave with it?

Hornet Sting + Monachr’s Leap

1. Casttime way too long for an reactive skill -> Not usable to react to the enemy
  2. Damage increase neglectable -> Not worth to include into a damagerotation
  3. Direction of the evade backwards is hard to anticipate against moving targets
  4. Uptime of Monarch’s Leap is way too short -> You’re forced to jump back to the enemy almost immediately if you want to close the distance again
  5. Hard to utilize to gain ground

There is an evade on it… I don’t know what the third point means.
Uptime is just enough to use a healing skill or any other skill, it’s nowhere near “almost immediately” and there isn’t even something called “almost immediately”.
It’s easy to gain ground with it because you can easily jump over hole or cliffs.

Serpent’s Strike

1. Evade time doesn’t match the animation time
  2. Hard to anticipate against moving targets
  3. Could use a bit more damage

The point of this skill is the poison. 33% less healing IS A LOT OF INDIRECT DAMAGE

Suggestion:
Sword AA: Remove the leaps.
This is the only way I can think of to not hinder the player from moving/evading as he pleases.

No. The simple way is that Anet makes it interruptable. That’s all.

Hornet Sting, Monarch’s Leap: 2 forward leaps (600 ,300 units) and a third leap if an enemy got hit during the first two leaps (430 units). CD: 20 secs. Uptime: 10 secs. The target will be crippled.
These skills should replace the leaps on the AA. The balance is tricky because we don’t want to be a second bunny hopping warrior (SW/WH+GS), but we should still be able to travel a good distance, like we can do currently with the current skill.

*This forces a lot of people to just AA the enemy and die. *

Serpent’s Strike: Evade backwards (200 units?) and jump towards your target (300 units) immediately afterwards. If you haven’t targeted anyone, you’ll just evade backwards.
If you’re using the current Serpent’s Strike, you’ll propbably end up in weird places (atleast not behind your target). The second problem with Serpent’s Strike is, that the evade time doesn’t match the animation time, which leaves you vulnerable. I tried to work around those flaws. Note that the leap to your target should be larger than the evade, so you wont miss your target if it’s running away from you.

Alright, so we get zero escape, autoattack spam and jumping around for nothing.

(edited by solrik.6028)

in Ranger

Fluffball.8307

Can you explain this please?
I recently starting playing ranger and it seems to me that the sword is actually a really low skill cap weapon that basically involves watching your character be locked into an auto-attack animation until whatever you are hitting is dead. (Note, I do know that the animation can be cancelled but appears to take almost a second to do so.) The other skills don’t add much dps and are meant for evasion, but with the delay can’t be used to dodge much of anything (along with 3 usually just rolling me into terrain and not actually connecting).

Presumably I am using the sword wrong, but how is it meant to be used?

This is for PvP or WvW: Turn off autoattack and turn off autotarget. The movement from sword is just ridiculous. The autoattack untargeted alone can get you to safety. If you hit things without a called target (or even with one once you get used to it) you use it as a leap.

It’s a weapon that can either make fleeing from you almost impossible or make chasing you almost impossible. It’s just downright amazing. I need to find the video someone posted of like 7 people chasing a sword ranger all the way from green on EB over to blue on EB, and the sword ranger just evading everything.

It’s hard to talk about and better just tried out. If you want, hit me up in game, or since sword has been a hot topic lately I’ve been constantly bringing up Frou Frou’s video where she got reported for cheating because she used the sword so well.

I’ll find links to both videos if you’re interested because they are ideal examples or sword use, just let me know and I’d love to put in the 10 minutes searching for them.

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

That would make the second part completely useless.

You only need to increase the time it allows between skills. Something along the lines of the theif sword gap closer.

Leap in, dps a bit, and then you have the option of leaping back and dodging if necessary. The other big weakness of the sword is the complete lack of a gap closer.

in Ranger

Posted by: StickerHappy.8052

StickerHappy.8052

Off topic question.

Im new to the ranger class but, why do rangers fight amongst themselves here in the forums?

Champion Illusionist Champion Hunter Champion Phantom Champion Magus

in Ranger

Substance E.4852

Off topic question.

Im new to the ranger class but, why do rangers fight amongst themselves here in the forums?

Because some refuse to acknowledge the class has issues despite many of us, and the rest of the whole game, knowing it has issues.

in Ranger

Posted by: Lake.9842

Lake.9842

I’ll find links to both videos if you’re interested because they are ideal examples or sword use, just let me know and I’d love to put in the 10 minutes searching for them.

That would be great, thank you.
And, do you recommend also turning of the autoattack/autotarget for PVE?