Why the current sword needs polishing

in Ranger

Posted by: Viking Jorun.5413

Viking Jorun.5413

I want the sword to stay as is, I feel like the weapon fills what it’s supposed to do very very very well.

That being said, I would LOVE to see dagger as a Mainhand Melee weapon that DOESNT leap all over the place, that would be AWESOME!!

^

Thank you. There do happen to be a lot of us who like the sword in its current state as an anti-kite weapon, and changing it would devastate its purpose. I feel that the best option would be to simply add a second mainhand melee weapon to the Ranger’s kitten nal rather than fixing what, contrary to many beliefs, is not broken. You may think it’s broken, but it’s due to the fact that you personally don’t like how it functions and it’s the only mainhand melee weapon we currently have.

When a weapon interferes with the ability to move around and dodge in a game built around said mechanics it is broken.

If you use a build/style that act’s like sword1 doesn’t even exist, and instead use it for dodge spam on a bunker/BM build, it’s a great weapon. If you use a build/style that relies on sword1 for dps, it’s a major hindrance.

My entire burst rotation comes from a combination of quickness and sword 1 where I am indeed locked into my attack. All I can do is prepare for it and know when it back out. The chain isn’t impossible to get out of, as many here are depicting.

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

I want the sword to stay as is, I feel like the weapon fills what it’s supposed to do very very very well.

That being said, I would LOVE to see dagger as a Mainhand Melee weapon that DOESNT leap all over the place, that would be AWESOME!!

^

Thank you. There do happen to be a lot of us who like the sword in its current state as an anti-kite weapon, and changing it would devastate its purpose. I feel that the best option would be to simply add a second mainhand melee weapon to the Ranger’s kitten nal rather than fixing what, contrary to many beliefs, is not broken. You may think it’s broken, but it’s due to the fact that you personally don’t like how it functions and it’s the only mainhand melee weapon we currently have.

When a weapon interferes with the ability to move around and dodge in a game built around said mechanics it is broken.

If you use a build/style that act’s like sword1 doesn’t even exist, and instead use it for dodge spam on a bunker/BM build, it’s a great weapon. If you use a build/style that relies on sword1 for dps, it’s a major hindrance.

My entire burst rotation comes from a combination of quickness and sword 1 where I am indeed locked into my attack. All I can do is prepare for it and know when it back out. The chain isn’t impossible to get out of, as many here are depicting.

If you are in the process of performing the second or third skill of the sword1 rotation, it is impossible. You cannot interrupt movement skills other than by swapping out weapons. A well timed sword 2 or 3 (or LR) can interrupt the chain but it cannot interrupt the attack. Is this crippling? No, but it isn’t necessary either and fixing it wouldn’t lessen anyone’s play and would make the class feel more fluid to use.

Whether it means having to remove the leaps and whether that would be worth it is a different issue and one that would require official word from Anet to make the discussion anything more than us spinning our wheels.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

in Ranger

Posted by: Fluffball.8307

Fluffball.8307

Which is why I want them to simply boost the power scaling for Greatsword or Longbow so that it can out perform sword for a pure DPS build against a single target while in party range. Then the PvPers can have their non-broken sword and PvEers can have their non-broken GS/LB.

Well… the other problem with sword is that the offhands they allow us to use are very good. Warhorn is mandatory for every good dungeon/fractal build. Axe is situationally great too, I’m not a huge fan of it but there are people who think it’s great too. Even if GS was buffed, you’d need to fit WH into your build and swap to it before/in combat for water/fire blasts and fury.

Longbow doesn’t have any sustained AoE (Can’t “cleave”) which is also a problem.

Also GS having sword-level damage would make sword basically obsolete (amazing offhands aside) due to the redonkulous amounts of evade on autoattack. LB being able to compete with the swords would mean it did like 20k per autoattack from 2000 range. This is regarding PvE.

in Ranger

Posted by: OGDeadHead.8326

OGDeadHead.8326

The chain isn’t impossible to get out of, as many here are depicting.

No it isn’t, but it’s a lot harder than it needs to be when you have #1 on autocast. Swapping weapons breaks the chain instantly, so apparently the chain is interruptable. The dodge mechanic should have the same ability to break it.
This isn’t a l2p issue that so many ppl like to throw out all the time, it’s something that should be an easy fix for a good programmer given time to fix it, and it doesn’t need to change sword behavior at all.
Not everyone likes to manually hammer the #1 key over and over again (you can macro it to be active as long as you hold down a mouse key though, for example), even if doing so in the case of the ranger sword opens up a lot of possibilities in regards to moving around the battlefield in a manner maybe even the devs this not intend in the first place.

Personally I love the sword, and am using #1 both set to autocast and manually using it, depending on situation. With just a little more fine tuning, like the ones I wrote about in my previous post, I would love it even more.

Win10 pro | Xeon 5650 @ 4 GHz | R9 280x toxic | 24 Gig Ram | Process Lasso user

in Ranger

Posted by: Sarision.6347

Sarision.6347

Also GS having sword-level damage would make sword basically obsolete (amazing offhands aside) due to the redonkulous amounts of evade on autoattack. LB being able to compete with the swords would mean it did like 20k per autoattack from 2000 range. This is regarding PvE.

GS having sword-level damage in PvE does make sword obsolete, not because of the evade on Power Stab, but because people don’t have to deal with the sword auto.

in Ranger

Posted by: Durzlla.6295

Durzlla.6295

^

The thing is, the sword does the exact opposite of what you claim, Sword 1 doesn’t allow you to dodge BECAUSE you’re constantly moving, it doesn’t root you, and if you turn off auto targeting and just spam 1 with no target, you’ll literally be EVERYWHERE.

If Sword 1 literally rooted you to the floor like many people claim (see Barrage and Meteor shower) then yes, you have a point

They sing dark, delicious notes about power and family.
As their mother, I have to grant them their wish. – Forever Fyonna

in Ranger

Posted by: Substance E.4852

Substance E.4852

^

The thing is, the sword does the exact opposite of what you claim, Sword 1 doesn’t allow you to dodge BECAUSE you’re constantly moving, it doesn’t root you, and if you turn off auto targeting and just spam 1 with no target, you’ll literally be EVERYWHERE.

If Sword 1 literally rooted you to the floor like many people claim (see Barrage and Meteor shower) then yes, you have a point

Root in the sense that you are not longer allowed to directly control where you move.

It’s great that i can just keep moving towards the target and nowhere else but it becomes a problem when that prevents me from taking any other action like repositioning to avoid an attack or to even take advantage of “extra damage when flanking” buffs against enemies in constant motion and rotation.

Connection error(s) detected. Retrying…

(edited by Substance E.4852)

in Ranger

Posted by: scerevisiae.1972

scerevisiae.1972

It’s broken, should have been fixed 12 months ago.

If there are engine implementation issues precluding an easy fix then the design was broken in the first place.

downed state is bad for PVP

(edited by scerevisiae.1972)

in Ranger

Posted by: Otaking.4675

Otaking.4675

-I don’t care about PVE, in fact I never PVE and just today I finally learned my skills in PVE after levelling to 80 by purely SPVP. It’s not the only character I levelled that way. Any crap you throw together is possible to work in PVE for the most part I find.

-I don’t have much problem with sword #1 except it is a tad slow. It’s very nice for sticking to engies for instance but when a thief stealth drops you, you fly past them , giving them your back most often which gets you dead. Otherwise it’s ‘ok’ for PVP but a bit too slow.

-Sword 2 is atrocious unless you are just using it for another bunker dodge. How to pressure a target with a sum total of zero forward movement? If it moved forward first, then back you’d keep the same evasive properties and also be able to use it to stick even better and kill things. Simple camera flip and drop target and you have the same initial evade if you wanted, or just hit them first and leap away and stay leapt. I don’t really understand why anyone thinks back first is better in PVP unless just using it for bunker dodge #2.

Most enemies counter you after you leap in not before when you just leapt to distance to give them extra telegraph time to see you coming.

Look at my greatsword, look at me leaping in and killing that guy, now look at your sword, now look at you wishing someone would come by and kill that guy for you, now look at my greatsword again. Now it’s a diamond. Now I’m on a boat.

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

It IS broken for me in PvE

Fixed that for you.

Don’t you dare think you’re speaking for me as a PVE’r. Speak for yourself. Not for me.

Sword is just fine to me in PVE. I’ve learned encounters. I’m currently in the process of learning to melee Lupi, albeit on another class, but once I learn the PVE encounters I’ll be able to do it on any class that I play. If I absolutely NEED to break the AA on mainhand sword I just swap weapons to SB and #3 out of there or #4 if I have the LB equipped and dodge roll back.

I really really really wish they’d make dagger mainhand or axe. Something to keep the people whining about the sword because they suck and can’t be bothered to learn the encounters to anticipate when you need to use a dodge to use something else and leave the sword I like well enough alone.

I have no opinion about the sword in PVP… Cause I don’t do it. If I do it’s not on my Ranger but thief or engi…. but that’s just when my guildies need an extra for dailies or something.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Ranger

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Something to keep the people whining about the sword because they suck and can’t be bothered to learn the encounters to anticipate when you need to use a dodge to use something else and leave the sword I like well enough alone.

Please, don’t expect from others to only speak for themselves if you don’t even do that.
I’ve learned all encounters in PvE. Not to that extent that I can solo everything but good enough to not go down in dungeons or fractals.
And I kittening hate the sword AA. Why should I learn all encounters a second time, just to make something broken work?

in Ranger

scerevisiae.1972

I only PVP and I also agree with the majority that think losing control of your character while autoattacking is broken. Turning off autoattack as a workaround doesn’t make it any less broken.

in Ranger

scerevisiae.1972

Disappointing they still haven’t fixed sword #1

in Ranger

Posted by: Nemitri.8172

Nemitri.8172

Since the last post of this matter is rather old, I’ll make a new one.

Things I’ve noticed that aren’t optimal:
Autoattack:

1. Second and third attacks prevent dodges and movement
  2. Second and third attacks prevent proper use of other skills
  3. Constantly jumping into the hitbox of enemies -> enemy gets pushed away
  4. Cleaving is almost impossible to do
  5. Second attack doesn’t cleave -> DPS loss while cleaving
  6. Attackchain is hard to handle on a weapon that isn’t even on par with weapons of other classes and for a class that has to handle a flawed pet -> I don’t like the high skillcap
  7. Has the only leaps ingame that aren’t leapfinisher

Hornet Sting + Monachr’s Leap

1. Casttime way too long for an reactive skill -> Not usable to react to the enemy
  2. Damage increase neglectable -> Not worth to include into a damagerotation
  3. Direction of the evade backwards is hard to anticipate against moving targets
  4. Uptime of Monarch’s Leap is way too short -> You’re forced to jump back to the enemy almost immediately if you want to close the distance again
  5. Hard to utilize to gain ground

Serpent’s Strike

1. Evade time doesn’t match the animation time
  2. Hard to anticipate against moving targets
  3. Could use a bit more damage

Summary:
The most problems are caused by the autoattack chain. The jumps are most of the time a hindrance and no help. They need to be removed. Furthermore, the second autoattack has to cleave like the other autoattacks.
Hornet Sting and Monarch’s Leap are one of a kind. I can’t get behind the purpose of those skills. The activation time is too long to be used reactively, the evasion backwards doesn’t help in most cases and the uptime of Monarch’s Leap is way too small. You could only use this skill advantageously if you want to disengage.
Serpent’s Strike is a pretty good skill but I don’t like the repositioning since you hardly gain any advantage through it. I also don’t like the animation time, since it leaves you vulnerable, same as Counterattack.

Suggestion:
So how to fix those flaws? I’ll post my ideas I had awhile ago:

Sword AA: Remove the leaps.
This is the only way I can think of to not hinder the player from moving/evading as he pleases.

Hornet Sting, Monarch’s Leap: 2 forward leaps (600 ,300 units) and a third leap if an enemy got hit during the first two leaps (430 units). CD: 20 secs. Uptime: 10 secs. The target will be crippled.
These skills should replace the leaps on the AA. The balance is tricky because we don’t want to be a second bunny hopping warrior (SW/WH+GS), but we should still be able to travel a good distance, like we can do currently with the current skill.

Serpent’s Strike: Evade backwards (200 units?) and jump towards your target (300 units) immediately afterwards. If you haven’t targeted anyone, you’ll just evade backwards.
If you’re using the current Serpent’s Strike, you’ll propbably end up in weird places (atleast not behind your target). The second problem with Serpent’s Strike is, that the evade time doesn’t match the animation time, which leaves you vulnerable. I tried to work around those flaws. Note that the leap to your target should be larger than the evade, so you wont miss your target if it’s running away from you.

Anticipated impact:
The sword would be as sticky as it is now, but it would be way easier to control.
The smoother activation times should also help the weapon to feel less clunky.

I think I agree, the sword is the weirdest ranger weapon out there simply due to the auto attack, and the hornet’s leap is indeed too slow to be used as an evade skill.

in Ranger

Posted by: thefantasticg.3984

thefantasticg.3984

Something to keep the people whining about the sword because they suck and can’t be bothered to learn the encounters to anticipate when you need to use a dodge to use something else and leave the sword I like well enough alone.

Please, don’t expect from others to only speak for themselves if you don’t even do that.
I’ve learned all encounters in PvE. Not to that extent that I can solo everything but good enough to not go down in dungeons or fractals.
And I kittening hate the sword AA. Why should I learn all encounters a second time, just to make something broken work?

Reread my post. I was speaking for myself.

And how would you have to relearn the encounters? If you already know them… you already know them. Not sure why you have to learn them a second time. It’s not like their attacks and tells have changed.

RNG is a bell curve. Better hope you’re on the right side.

in Ranger

Posted by: HHR LostProphet.4801

HHR LostProphet.4801

Reread my post. I was speaking for myself.

And how would you have to relearn the encounters? If you already know them… you already know them. Not sure why you have to learn them a second time. It’s not like their attacks and tells have changed.

You said people whine about the sword because they suck. So you claim to know why others don’t like the AA. The sword plays very differently from all other weapons. You can’t dodge at any time, you have to try to expect the attacks of the enemy way sooner then you would have to with other weapons. Not to mention that you can’t cleave or position yourself properly.

(edited by HHR LostProphet.4801)

in Ranger

Posted by: Ehecatl.9172

Ehecatl.9172

I don’t see why it hasn’t been fixed yet, honestly. Just making the leap interrupted by dodging or activating another skill would go a long way to making it less unwieldy.

Also making Pounce linger a few more seconds after casting Hornet Sting would be a big benefit. Long enough to activate it, run in, and pull a leap on someone.

It’s all just quality of life changes really.