[BWE2] Revenant Feedback Thread

in Revenant

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

With BWE2 now over and no singular feedback thread in sight I figured I’d create one. Still feel free to post your own, but I know in the past the Devs have encouraged consolidated feedback. Though, I suppose given the nature of the Revenant one might consider the entire Forum to be Feedback, I’ll give it a try anyhow. Worst case scenario this is my feedback thread

So, here’s my feedback:

Thematically the Revenant is an amazing profession. Added to this, the design of the Elite Specialization is doubly awesome. A warrior who invokes ancient Legends to possess him is a rare concept in fiction and this is the first time can recall seeing it done in a game. So let me start with a “Bravo”. This is a great concept.

However, I do have concerns with the mechanical design of the profession. They fall into basically three categories. Mechanic (Legends & Their Utilities), Mechanic Resource (Energy), and Elite Spec (Herald). The first issue is by far the most important to me, I’ve tried to get someone from ANet to comment on why they haven’t given Revenants more utility options or how Racial skills will work (or not) but it’s been ignored each time.

Mechanic: Invoking Legends
ANET If you don’t read any other section of this post at least read this one. The inflexibile cookie-cutter nature of the Revenant is both it’s worst and most easily fixed aspect (in my opinion)

This mechanic is essentially a skin for very restrictive swapping of Utilities. You select from up to 5 preset options and that’s all. While thematically amazing, it’s mechanically very restrictive. There is very little customization to your skill choices since you make a total of 4 choices to decide what skills you’ll bring to the fight (two weapon sets and two legends). Sure you get twice as many 6-0 skills, but lose the ability to choose those skills you can’t just play whatever build you want and mix in some extra condi-cleanse utility if necessary.

The current design leaves no room for this profession ever receiving more niche utilities like Portal because of their narrow/specific uses. In short, you’ve taken the “utility” out of “utility skills”.

Suggestions

• Add at least one more utility per Legend. Having two 6-0 bars available is sufficient to have your Heal/Elite set for you, but utilities are called utilities for a reason. Give the player some choice. If they’re in a situation where projectile blocking has zero use, at least give them one other option to swap it out for.
  • Add a neutral set four of utility skills. Mist themed Glyphs would be a perfect skill type for the Revenant to receive and could be linked to the Invocation trait-line.

Result: The Revenant now has quite a bit of nuance to its build decisions. The heal and elite are still set, which means that you can use those if you have Legend specific mechanics you want to enforce (ie. the Tablet for Ventari and Facets for Glint). The neutral set Glyphs will provide more niche options to add variety to builds, such as condition removal, or a mobility, or you know utility like skills. For example:

Rune of Traversal (Glyph): Ground target 900 range. Open a vertical portal through the mists from your current location to your ground target, you travel through this portal immediately. The portal persists for 5s, allies can use this portal but enemies touching the portal are displaced, confused, and suffer an additional condition based on your current Legend. (i.e. Ventari Immobilized, Mallyx Torment, Glint Chilled)
(Basically a team blink. Not like Portal because you open the entrance and exit at the same time and it would have the same restrictions as a Blink).

Niche skills like this you can’t currently have with the Revenant because you’d be stuck with it with whatever Legend it was attached to. Please ANet, for the cost of 9 more utilities (1 per Legend + 4 neutral) this profession won’t be referred to as “cookie-cutter”.

To further expound upon this – consider the customization loss versus what is gained. An elementalist trades two decision points for one but gains four times the ability options instead. Meanwhile a Revenant exchanges five decision points for two and gains two times the resulting abilities. Not only does the Revenant lose a lot more customization in exchange for less overall benefit but they are further restricted in their usage of ALL skills by the Energy mechanic.

Mechanic Resource: Energy
Currently the Energy mechanic is linked to everything except your auto-attack. It’s rather restrictive – especially when using maintenance skills. This relegates the profession to spamming auto-attack and constantly having to swap Legends to reset back to 50% energy. This was an okay design when the profession only had one weapon, it made up for them not having to swap weapon sets. But now that they weapon-swap this mindset should be rethought.

Suggestions

• Link Energy to only your 6-0 skills, adjusting costs as necessary. Your profession resource should relate to your profession mechanic. Further linking it to weapons restricts the Revenant’s options too much. You upgraded this profession to two weapon sets – let them use them and use the normal CD mechanic to restrict it.
  • Let energy regenerate to 100% while out of combat. This makes it more like the original Energy mechanic from GW1 it mimics and help makes up for some of the following suggestions.
  • In addition, don’t refresh Energy when swapping. Combined with regenerating back to 100% between fights and weapons not consuming Energy this allows the Energy mechanic to act as your shared CD for your utility skills. Perhaps add a trait or alter a minor trait in Invocations to automatically gain some Energy when you swap Legends.
  • Add a passive buff and energy generation effect to each Legend so that it’s not just a skin for a set of skills. These should be small bumps in energy that help define the Legend. For example: Shiro: Gain +5% Critical Hit chance, regain X Energy when you critical hit (Xs ICD). Jalis: Take 10% less damage from attacks, regain X Energy when you are struck (Xs ICD). Mallyx: Gain 10% increased condition duration. Regain X Energy when you are inflicted by a condition (Xs ICD). Etc. These should be things that can reasonably happen more than once within a short ICD so as the necessitate the ICD.

Result: The Revenant profession mechanic and resource are now in sync. You get two 6-0 bars instead of one but with limited ability to customize them (but at least SOME ability to customize them). These skills have a relatively low cooldowns but share your Energy bar as a resource. You can generate Energy faster based on your Legend you’re utilizing.

Elite Spec: Herald
First off – I love this concept and have little real negative feedback. Mostly this feedback keys on the above two suggestions.

• Since you’re adding at least one utility per Legend take the Facet of Nature name (not effect) and make it a Utility. Based on Facet of Nature from GW1 I would suggest making it a high upkeep Stability pulse that can be triggered again to inflict Slow.
  • The F2 skill is fine, just rename it and leave the “Facets” mechanic to the Dragon Legend. Keep in mind that an important part of Elite specs is that the new 6-0 skills are optional, so having a Facet as an F3 skill goes against that. Just name it “Herald’s Presence” or somesuch. Give it a different graphical effect that does NOT trigger the ground facet thing, leave that for the Dragon Legend skills. (Note: I’m not suggesting changing the functionality of the F2 skill at all, just rename/skin it so you’re not forcing Legendary Dragon skills on every Herald).
  • You might want to add a minor cost to activating the second step of their Facets. As it stands now the Herald has very little Energy costs, combined with the above suggestion of removing energy cost from Weapons this Legend definitely needs some costs added.
  • Give the Herald some way to stop pulsing their facets without triggering the cooldown on them. An F3 skill while invoking this Legend might suffice, but if you could make it part of one of the hard-coded skills (the heal or utility) that would be better.

Final Word
Again – let me say I love the concept here and really look forward to playing the Revenant. However, the lack of nuance to build choices and restrictive energy mechanic are definitely a negative aspect to this profession that I think could be remedied.

Also guys, this is all just my opinion and it may not be shared. I’ve been playing the Revenant a lot these past weekends and have had fun despite these complaints. If you disagree, then fine. But play nice. I started this thread so each person can post their feedback, not so we can attack one another about our opinions.

(edited by Dastion.3106)

in Revenant

Posted by: Dastion.3106

Dastion.3106

Oops and I forgot.

Shield
Crystal Hibernation: There should be some method to end this skill early. Shattering it to do damage (maybe bleeding too) to nearby allies could give it some needed offense without forcing the Herald to remain immobile. I’m not sure on this one because I can see where you might not want the Herald to be able to avoid the bar-break effect.

in Revenant

Posted by: Mahuyo.3079

Mahuyo.3079

I still find revenant a fun class, my only real huge issue are controls. Though I will say I think that shield 5 duration should be a little longer, the sword 3 skill still can get u r trapped in the terrain, I think that the person above said something about another r-skill, Revenant I think should have more access to resistance whether that is thought a runes that us fine. The shadowstep skill on assassin stance should move u forward even if you don’t have a target, all that should happen is u move forward but don’t step unless you have a targrt.

in Revenant

Posted by: kscripter.4763

kscripter.4763

Sword 3 would randomly stop attacking with the evade still up when an enemy was near a ledge or wall, in PvE that is. It even did this with differences in elevation on sloped terrain. Did anyone else experience this or am I just crazy?

in Revenant

Posted by: Tritone.1395

Tritone.1395

Everything felt pretty good to me except one thing. The Facet of Nature button covers up the ^ arrow when selecting legends.

It didn’t break anything, but the Facet button could be moved up a little bit.

Edit: It also does this in the character menu as well.

(edited by Tritone.1395)

in Revenant

Posted by: caerulean.4837

caerulean.4837

Energy:
I don’t mind that weapon skills use energy, I think it adds to the experience of managing energy. However, I do think that weapon skills should use less energy especially now that we get two weapon sets. I think energy charging to 100 out of combat is a good idea too.

Utilities:
I also don’t (particularly) mind that we get stuck with a strict set of utilities when we swap into a legend. I think that this aspect of the revenant provides some counterplay for the other classes. If they can identify the legend you’re using they can play to the weaknesses of that “stance”. However, I feel like if this is to stay then the revenant should get more condi cleanse. I think that if our big weakness is supposed to be conditions then the way legends determine our utilities shouldn’t be as big a weakness. At the moment both of these things are leaving us very vulnerable and one of them should probably be fixed a little.

Glint:
I love it and I have literally zero complaints, beside feeling like the revenant is missing a core spec without it. And I think the revealing utility is bugged.

in Revenant

Posted by: Invictus.1503

Invictus.1503

Everything felt pretty good to me except one thing. The Facet of Nature button covers up the ^ arrow when selecting legends.

It didn’t break anything, but the Facet button could be moved up a little bit.

Edit: It also does this in the character menu as well.

I noticed this too, was rather annoyed by it personally. Not game breaking by any means, but still annoying.

It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.

in Revenant

Posted by: Thermaltron.6829

Thermaltron.6829

“Niche skills like this you can’t currently have with the Revenant because you’d be stuck with it with whatever Legend it was attached to. Please ANet, for the cost of 9 more utilities (1 per Legend + 4 neutral) this profession won’t be referred to as “cookie-cutter”.”

I would even say 4 neutral ‘Mist themed’ skills would add some variability, but maybe make it so you could only swap out just one of the legends abilities? (If we need that limit, just a though).

I didn’t run into too much issue with energy this weekend, but I would suggest that rather than generate energy (cause that causes issues) auto attacking could give a % bonus to energy regeneration so your energy builds quicker, but you are not able to get things like perma quickness. Honestly though, I’m not sure if this is really needed.

in Revenant

Posted by: Dirame.8521

Dirame.8521

My thoughts on the Rev;

Video Edition: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL7p_M7vr8k

As well know it’s slowly becoming everyone’s favourite but, in my opinion, that will be short lived if the traits aren’t given more spice.

A lot of the things that make characters like the Mesmer quite appealing is the types of builds that their traits allow them to create. Reality is, the Revenant’s builds are all in the skills and in the ways you use them. The traits enhance or modify each playstyle but never truly create new ones.

If nothing is done about the traits, there’s a good chance we might see other characters that have more influential traits take centre stage. Right now I’m loving the Reaper and Daredevil because of that.

Check out the video above to get some more tidbits on a cool combo I found with the Revenant and other thoughts about the Rev.

I make guides to builds you may not have heard of;
http://www.youtube.com/user/ceimash
http://www.twitch.tv/ceimash

in Revenant

Posted by: Adamantium.3682

Adamantium.3682

If this is going to be the main thread, I will link the two big posts I’ve made rather than copy them.

2 posts here about legends and weapons: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/revenant/Revenant-feed-back-bw2/first#post5464857

2 posts here about traits: https://forum-en.gw2archive.eu/forum/professions/revenant/Revenant-GM-trait-discussion/first#post5465110

[TNO] Gizmo Gigawatt (Engineer)
Jade Quarry

in Revenant

Posted by: Toeofdoom.6152

Toeofdoom.6152

Agreed about utility variation, that’s still a big issue – either of your solutions look fine!

Similarly to the last few posts I think the traits could use some work. The grandmasters are very rarely build defining. Additionally, too many traits are implicitly locked to legends.

• might from retaliation = jails
  • daze on elite = mallyx/jails
  • boons → damage = glint
  • double stability = jails or retri
  • burn on elite = mallyx?
  • selfless amplification = ventari
  • natural abundance = ventari
  • pulsating pestilence = mallyx

In short, Herald, corruption and restoration gms tend to require specific things from the build, making them very difficult to work in.

I guess I’d prefer things like “after swapping legends, the next boon applied by a legend skill is boosted and shared with allies”? Clearly glint related but works with everything. Or the same for conditions, or thousands of other possibilities.

in Revenant

Posted by: lemone.5867

lemone.5867

Rev is at great spot when we look at bwe1. But there is couple things i think Arenanet should look.

Legends:

Shiro:
Imo this legend is great at it is. Heal works like i should work ( burst for more heal) general idea of assasin is great. Utilities are good but as some user say it would be nice for Impossible Odds to remove the initial 10 energy costs on the skill altogether, but keep the -10 upkeep on it.(we all know quickness is really good)
Elite-hmm it is great skill which let you lockdown your enemy i think it should be 2sec duration. Its like thief venom but aoe and this is why its duration should be lower. If it would work single no problem then but it would be stupid.

*Traits(dmg all *day long):
Are great themed perfectly. Dmg modificers life syphon it is great. Btw would like to see that life gain on necros :p

Mallyx:
Imo most funny greatest legendary at this moment. It is on good spot and it is great way to fight condi builds. Heal if used correctly can heal for great amount of life. Its best wepon against condi build.

Traits
I would change couple things. First is that there is no good Minor traits except Demonic Defiance. Venom Enchancment and Replenishing Despair doesnt look good at all sorry but 50% poison duration isnt good when your only source is mace with 6 sec duration on 3th attack. Life from condtion isnt good either its small amount.
Grandmaster traits-Pulsating Pestelence works random i would increase radious for small amout. 240 is little enemys (remember its aoe) would kill you before it would trigger.

Jalis
Most tanky trait/theme line on Rev kitten nal. But i must agree with what

Jalis Stance
This stance feels incredibly underwhelming overall. Almost all of the skills seem under-tuned and feel weak in most scenarios. Soothing Stone is in a perfect place, and is seemingly the main or only reason to slot Jalis.

Inspiring Reinforcement has a great concept but feels very weak. The main problem with this skill is that it does not synergize well with movement, but in WvW and PvP if you don’t move you are toast. I suggest removing the ground targeting and instead have it so the road always assembles in a straight line in the direction the player is facing with the player in the middle of the road. The road would then be fixed on the player and follow them. With this change I think the duration should be reduced to 4 seconds and energy cost reduced to 25.
Force Engagement has huge potential but unfortunately is very underwhelming. Aside from being single target, the energy cost on this skill is absurdly high for what the skill actually does. I would suggest adding a bounce effect to the chain so that it can hit up to three targets including the first. The bounce AoE should be much smaller that the initial range on the skill but large enough to work in scenarios(something like 400). With this change, reduce the Taunt and Slow duration’s to 1.75s. Since Inspiring Reinforcement has a cooldown, I see no problem with this skill having one either, so add a cooldown with the above changes: 15-20 seconds seems reasonable. Lastly, reduce the energy cost to make this skill viable to use: I think an energy cost of 30 is more suitable.
Vengeful Hammers is a really odd skill. It feels like what the skill does is a weird missmatch of things randomly thrown together and seems to have limited uses due to its high upkeep cost. This is where I come back to my issue with conditions from earlier, as well as the legendary stances having particular styles. I like the idea of this skill granting 20% less damage from direct and condition sources, but it does not synergize too well with the hammers. This is also where a suggestion of the Protection boon comes in, which so many people have been saying should be on Jalis as it makes the most sense. First of all I would suggest removing the 20% damage reduction feature. With this change I think the hammers should grant positive effects to the player when they hit enemies: upon hit, remove a condition and provide a short duration Protection boon. If the condition removal is too strong it could grant Resistance instead, which makes a lot of sense with Jalis being the tanky option. I think 2-3 seconds duration of each boon seems suitable.
Rite of the Great Dwarf is much better than last BWE. It still feels awkward to use this skill and when to use it, and the stun break seems out of place. I think this skill would work better with a shorter duration, but faster cast time – this way the skill is a great counter to quick bursts. I suggest lowering the cast time to 0.5 seconds and lowering the duration to 3.5 seconds.

Traits
Feels like a good line to compliment a tanky-centric stance. However the Grandmaster traits, like the Jalis stance itself, are very underwhelming. Improved Aggression feels a bit weird that it only increases duration on non-player enemies. I would suggest this trait to give a percentage based increase to all taunts – 10-15% seems reasonable, and would give an option to go for a taunt based build to combo off with Eye for an Eye and Force Engagement. As for the Grandmaster traits, I find Reflexive Summon almost useless with such a high cooldown and Steadfast Rejuvenation a bit under-tuned. I would suggest drastically lowering the cooldown of Reflexive Summon to 15 seconds. For Steadfast Rejuvenation I think the ‘chance’ should be increased from 50 to 100% and the healing to ~ 500 baseline.

Ventari
Legend that doesnt fit my playstyle. Its good for support heal but still tablet feels clunky. It should be summon instant after swap. Maybe tablet should telefor and give like blast heal instead of moving and heal if touch ally.

Glint /Herald
Herald is looking like ELE ver.2.0. Some ppl say its beacouse ppl dont know how to counter it but its not about it at all. Right now most ppl use Glint/x composition not beacouse its less counterable but beacouse its best most ultimate Legend Rev got. It got all expect condi removal. Great skills which give you almost perm fury (100 crit chance) swiftness(for real you got non active swiftness and no one say anthing but when engis should swap kits it was problem…) and can have +10 might at beggining of fight Oo. We cant forget about F2 which give boon duration (50% boon duration for free!) right now even after using your Facet energy isnt on bad spot which isnt good beacouse you can use them almost all the time imo it should be more active playstyle.

Like @Dreamcore say Overall suggestion for the stance: increase the pulse interval to 4 seconds while keeping the boon duration at 3 seconds. This will bring much more incentive to use Facet of Nature for its 50% boon duration upkeep bonus. This will also incentivize particular boon duration gear and food buffs etc.

Heal skill shouldnt heal with condi dmg like poison its stupid when condition which destroy other healing skill give you healing here.

Traits
This traitline is one of the best great synergy with all Legends Boon Duration for free. Its all you need. You dont even need other legends ^^

Wepons

Sword
Sword #3 should get higher cd or lower dmg. It is spamable right now with evades(with shiro heal it is great) and really burst dmg.

Staff
Renewing Wave sometimes doesnt condi cleanse. Change skill cost Surge of the mist+ Punishing Sweep > Debilitating Slam

Axe
Temporial Rift is fun and great visual skill but sometimes it doesnt work as it should be and enemies arent pulled.

• Shield*
    Maybe change energy cost for Crystal protection #4 could get little more healing but just a little.

Invocation Trait line
Great trait line. But on thing is wrong Roiling Mists give you perm 70% crit chance with glint and its still without precision equipment. Other then that its most versitile traitline.

Overall ppl say that Rev need more condi cleanse i cant agree with that if he stay at state he is right now it would be OP we would get more Ele like problems. If you want more condi cleanse go Mallyx or get trait that remove condi after swap go other runes or get staff. We dont want class that got everything and is good at everything and is beast with cele staff (very strong). We just got one right now we dont need second one.

in Revenant

Posted by: Valfaros.6908

Valfaros.6908

I think Rev is in a way better place then last BWE the changes were good and herald offers a lot.
There is still a problem with condis, I know you said rev won’t have much condiremove but at least change the staff 4 a bit so you don’t get rooted. + Impossible odds was a condi transfer back in the day, why isn’t it at least a condiremove now. It is super expensive so it wound’t be too strong.
As I said herald offers a lot I think some of those things should be acsessible in core rev. I mean sure right now everything is okay because you can take herald but what happens if you interduce more elite specs. Right now it offers the only way usefull way to give you swiftness and might.
So what that means is well if you interduce any elite spec without swiftness I will just don’t play it. Really nothing is more awful then running around without swiftness just look at the mesmer forum there are complains about it all over the place.

in Revenant

Posted by: posthumecaver.6473

posthumecaver.6473

[Quote]Give the Herald some way to stop pulsing their facets without triggering the cooldown on them. An F3 skill while invoking this Legend might suffice, but if you could make it part of one of the hard-coded skills (the heal or utility) that would be better.[/Quote]

Totally agree.

Crystal Hybernation defiance should not be broken from soft CC (like smoke grenade!!!!!).

Because of the multiple small hits nature of Sword and Staff, these weapons are extremely vulnerable to confusion, if the Dragon/Shiro stance weakness would be condi clear and we would not get any condi clears, in these stances or with weapons there must be some reduction of the effectiveness of confusion (duration? damage?)

in Revenant

lemone.5867

@posthumecaver Because of the multiple small hits nature of Sword and Staff, these weapons are extremely vulnerable to confusion, if the Dragon/Shiro stance weakness would be condi clear and we would not get any condi clears, in these stances or with weapons there must be some reduction of the effectiveness of confusion (duration? damage?)
Every class got this problem(except ele) why wouldnt Rev be at same place as other? I agree about broken Crystal Hybernation from soft CC. But i saw someone got idea Crystal Hybernation to be broken by 4-5 sec stun/daze which is insane :P. Arena should change it to broke after hard CC but not as hard.

in Revenant

posthumecaver.6473

@posthumecaver Because of the multiple small hits nature of Sword and Staff, these weapons are extremely vulnerable to confusion, if the Dragon/Shiro stance weakness would be condi clear and we would not get any condi clears, in these stances or with weapons there must be some reduction of the effectiveness of confusion (duration? damage?)
Every class got this problem(except ele) why wouldnt Rev be at same place as other? I agree about broken Crystal Hybernation from soft CC. But i saw someone got idea Crystal Hybernation to be broken by 4-5 sec stun/daze which is insane :P. Arena should change it to broke after hard CC but not as hard.

Why Shatter Mesmer doesn’t have this problem, in 5 skills it will instagib me, Revenant has to make 30 hits to deploy the same damage.

It is 30K confusion damage for Revenant and 5K damage for Shatter Mesmer.

Or other classes has mechanics preventing them taking confusion damage, pop Berserker Stance before going to 100ed Blades and Warrior will take 0 damage from 9 hits if Confusion can’t be applied to him.

in Revenant

Posted by: Jekkt.6045

Jekkt.6045

bwe2 is over now and total matches on revenant: 96

during the past few days and today aswell i was playing the herald in conquest with a celestial sword/shield staff setup and i was really impressed how much fun it is to play. it is kind of a mix between a thief and a guardian with some attunement-like mechanics.

the herald is in a very good spot, let me tell you this and with a few tweaks and QoL updates i would even be willing to switch from my main ele to a revenant

(one big problem is the legend swap. it takes too long. i had situations where i died because i swapped legends but skills were not ready to use yet because it takes like 1s until the skills flipped over :/ – resolved)

the herald is strong, that’s not true for the revenant in general. i had the impression that the normal revenant was not that impressive and i have seen 2 persons play with jalis and a couple more with mallyx. there was nobody who played ventari in the ~50 matches i played during this bwe2. this should not be the focus of this thread though. what i will cover here is the playstyle ofd what i played.

now let’s start with my review:

overall the herald is quite complex compared to existing professions or even other elite specialisations and the possibilities are almost endless.

the herald (with celestial amulet) is very squishy even though i had 2700 armor and 21k health but you also get a couple of damage avoiding skills like unrelenting assault, crystal hybernation and so on. if you’re timing your skills right you can be “tanky” but if you fail at that you can get more or less oneshot by mesmers.

i had some issues and bugs and i will list them below with some suggestions:

sword mainhand

overall in a very good spot. i would not change anything on this one. auto attack is fine although the 2nd hit could be turned into a “non projectile” because the attack will not work on projectile destroyer/reflection skills and you’re kinda stuck on the 2nd hit then.

unrelenting assault is a very nice skill, offensively aswell as defensively. it is a bit bugged though. it will stop working when you’re close to a wall and if you use it on a mesmer that goes through a portal you will teleport with him across the whole map.

shield
overall the shield needs a better healing power scaling.

shield, by concept, is a very nice weapon but needs some minor tweaks for both of its skills.

envoy of exuberance
as i mentioned above, revenant is a bit squishy and i was not that keen on using this skill against marauder builds because during the time that it takes to cast and to heal, you will have been hit for more damage than it actually heals. a simple fix would be an aoe blind at the target location.

crystal hibernation
this skill is more or less a “panic button”. it is very gimmicky at the moment and you can get insta interrupted if an engi uses the chill grenades on you which is a bit stupid. a smoke field works in a similar way. what i suggest is that only hard CCs work on it, not soft cc like chill blind immob and so on. it would be fair if the enemy had to use 4-5 stuns on you to get you out of this skill.

staff

the auto attack is fine, obviously it is a bit lower than sword so that’s the only point that could be buffed a tiny little bit, like 10%.

punishing sweep
the vulnerability could be increased to 4-5 seconds. 3s is a bit low.
i never really used the daze, still need to find the right situation for it. it would be better if the toggle would flip over when you hit somebody, hitting them when they use a skill is a bit.. meh. does the skill toggle when you hit somebody who is resureccting somebody?

warding rift
perfect

renewing wave
the healing needs to be increased a bit. it is again a risky skill to use for a revenant so if it healed around 2200 it would be better. i also had the impression that this skill bugged out sometimes and didn’t remove any conditions. maybe this has something to do with blinds? or idk, it was a bit strange when it happened. i think i had burning and blind and it didn’t remove any conditions.

surge of the mists
perfect

shiro
shiro is an amazing legend

enchanted daggers
works well for more tanky builds as it isn’t really a burst heal and is best used with either burst skills like unrelenting assault and surge of the mists or warding rift.
overall a solid heal skill.

riposting shadows
hm.. this is a difficult one. i saw people complain about it because it gives you 50 endurance on use. i’m gonna be honest here, yes it is strong. BUT. as i mentioned before, revenant is quite squishy so he needs all he can get, and for the time being i would leave the endurance at 50 because the skill also costs quite a bit of energy. the maximum you can get out of it is 2x dodges and 2x evade from the skill usage in normal situations. something i noticed is if you get hit by the reaper’s shroud 5 your stunbreaks have a 1 s cooldown before you can use them to break the stun. is this intended?

phase traversal
i love this skill. it lets you be that crazy player that hunts down escaping target or lets you get to sneaky thieves that try to decap your point. amazing for revenant as a side node holder.

impossible odds
a crazy skill… very dangerous for your foes but also for yourself. it needs to be used with caution as it can backfire and you will be left with no energy.

jade winds
this one can either be a game winner or your certain death because it costs that much energy. balanced imo but could use lower energy cost for a cooldown.

glinth

facet of nature
pretty happy with both upkeep and active.

face of light
both upkeep and active find. saw people complaining that there is no tell to the active so an aura-like visual effect could help, if it’s really necessary… the heal needs to stay insta cast though as it is your counter to burst damage. if this skill gets a casting time it will be ruined.

facet of darkness
what i noticed from the active is that the reveal is not instant. if a thief goes into shadow refuge and i use the reveal it takes 2-3s until he is revealed. a bit annoying and most likely a bug.

facet of elements
both upkeep and active good

facet of strength
the active needs more damage. it hits for ~1k twice. would be nice if it was buffed to 1,5k-2k

facet of chaos
the upkeep is too expensive and needs to be lowered to -3. the active is good against downed bodies, easy to dodge normally :/ casting time could go down to 1s instead of 1.25

herald traits

tbh the adept traits are all kinda mehish.. they’re not bad but they’re not good either.
the other traits are okay and i feel like most of them are not nobrain picks but matter of tastes.

bolster fortification (master)
first the protection is not long enough. should be 5s. and second this kind of works against the glinth heal because it lowers the heal you get from the damage :/

hammer
noticed this today that the damage in relation to its cooldown might be a bit too high or the cooldown too low. especially when you’re capable of hitting the 2nd and 3rd hit at the same time it’s more or less insta 15k on marauder lol. the cooldown needs to go up to 5s and the damage needs to be lowered. also the auto attacks can hit up to 4k, if you pair that with quickness it’s overkill.

unyielding anguish
this field displaces people with stability and it kinda makes sense. i would leave it that way but it needs its size reduce then so that it is not able to cover a whole point in pvp.

good work so far roy, i’m happy with the herald keep the good work up

btw any chance we can get 2 condis cleansed on legend swap with the invocation trait :P?

Ex player of PeanutButterJellyTime, Heavenly Annoying and Visceral Gaming.

(edited by Jekkt.6045)

in Revenant

lemone.5867

@posthumecaver.
But still we cant give everyclass everything. I understand couple class got more/less dmg but still its all about playstyle. Ppl complain about herald healing there is counter dont attack. Same with confusion dont attacck if u got it or use trait which negate confusion/staff/mallyx.

in Revenant

posthumecaver.6473

@posthumecaver.
But still we cant give everyclass everything. I understand couple class got more/less dmg but still its all about playstyle. Ppl complain about herald healing there is counter dont attack. Same with confusion dont attacck if u got it or use trait which negate confusion/staff/mallyx.

This is feedback thread or not, I wrote what I see problematic, developer can decide it is balanced or not.

I didn’t say give Rev a trait that cleanse every 5s, they might consider it is extremely vulnerable to confusion and can do something about it.

Warrior is a melee class and has tons of trait reducing the duration of cripple/immo otherwise it will be major weakness about being kited all the time and if Rev has an extreme weakness against confusion, they can give a trait that only reduce the duration of confusion.

in Revenant

Posted by: Terra.8571

Terra.8571

I’ve already expressed my views in other threads about Revenant’s but to avoid a wall of text and concentrate on a ‘review’ of where we are I’d say the following from a PvE PoV (I only PvP’d with cele Mallyx/Glint and that was really fun).

• Glint – Best legend, fun to use because it felt useful as a legend. If it rolled out as is, I’d be happy with it. Minor changes I’d like are things like toggles for the facets without using active and a better indicator when heal is on (so ppl can counter in pvp)
  • Shiro – Not bad but compared to Glint, only IO was seeing use in PvE. The traits are decent enough, if launched as is I’d be satisfied with it. Changes include no cast time to heal, sword 3 fix against walls and IO should have 0 energy cost, just be a straight -10 upkeep skill.
  • Mallyx – Only used in PvP, from that perspective some abilities could do with small energy cost reductions while the trait lines should have more condition related traits. If launched as is, would be satisfied with it.
  • Jalis – Don’t like this line at all for lots of different reasons. Main one being there’s little reason to change to it, especially in PvE other than for the free 50 energy or for a decent heal. Main changes are tweaks to the utility skills and elite to make it more ‘fun’. Right now, I can sit in Glint and get almost as good damage reduction but get 1000x better dps and group support. Please look at Glint and look at ways to make it fun like that. Right now, if launched as is, would only use if Raids NEEDED taunt, otherwise I’d avoid.
  • Ventari – Similar position to Jalis. Tablet should spawn automatically on legend swap. Moving the tablet takes so much time/ coordination that basically resort to a heal bot and literally do nothing else in big boss events other than move the tablet between the zerg and spam the heal skills off cd. It wasn’t fun, right now I’d only use it if I needed projectile reflect. The Elite is kitten awful and the 8 skill is nigh on useless. Basically consider some rework, make the tablet pulse a water field? Make the tablet follow the user? Please make this viable/ FUN outside of projectile block. If launched as is, would only use when projectile block needed, otherwise would avoid.

Thank you Roy/ GW2 dev team and love the Herald so far and please whilst you are tweaking the Revenant for launch, please bare in mind how fun/ useful Glint is and try and make other legends at least comparable..

in Revenant

Posted by: nearlight.3064

nearlight.3064

The main issues are energy costs of Mallyx and Jalis, and the GM traits I listed in my discussion thread on that topic. Condition management should slightly buffed, but not too much so we don’t have another shoutbow warrior immune to condis when it was supposed to be their weakness at launch.

Also in general, mace/axe feels a bit too easy to be kited, even with the gap closer, and that’s bad because this class has 0 ranged condition pressure, it’s all pretty much melee.

Necromancer Main
Taking a break from GW2 to play various
Nintendo games..

in Revenant

Posted by: Delcran.5734

Delcran.5734

I just wanted to post come observations from my time as a PvE revenant in roughly 10 full fractal runs, Arah, CoE, CoF, SE, and TA Aetherpath. I played as a power based berserker build with Devastation, Invocation and Herald.

• All in all revenant is a lot of fun to use in PvE, but the damage could probably use a small boost. Almost all of the revenant DPS comes form auto attack chains which is good, but a few more buttons to press might make the rotation a bit more fun and involving. The utility and healing were tremendous and a welcome change from how other classes feel. I feel like I had a pretty expansive toolkit with a lot of ways to help my group clear content.

• A couple of trait swaps in Devastation such as moving Ferocious Strikes to adept, Assassin’s Presence to master, Rapid Lacerations to grandmaster minor, and Focused Siphoning to adept would be helpful for a small damage increase.

• Mutilate Defenses feels a little bit weak compared to other similar traits. A duration increase would really help prevent PvE players from accidentally overwriting longer lasting vulnerability stacks that are already on a target.

• Elemental Burst and Burst of Strength feel a bit light on the damage in PvE at least as a power based revenant. The vulnerability generation of Burst of Strength is fantastic even if it only lasts 6 seconds.

• Chaotic Release is fun but mostly ineffective in PvE. It is worse than Jade Winds with a larger cooldown in most cases.

• Sword main hand is great, but perhaps increasing the damage on the two ability (Precision Strike) could add a bit to the damage rotation that is currently use a bunch of utilities and auto attack.

• Unrelenting Assault feels awesome to use, but it does weird things near walls and ledges that cause the skill to end early. It also does a good bit less DPS than auto-attack. I feel like a small damage increase could be helpful for PvE, but I’m not sure how that would affect PvP as I don’t PvP at all really.

• Herald is great, but it feels a bit passive (out of combat especially!). Anything that could be done to have similar boon production while using more player skill (especially with might and fury) might be a positive. Perhaps Facet of Darkness and Strength would only work in combat? I’m not sure what to do here. I love the boons, but I feel that the production of these boons out of combat is a bit too good.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kicker.8203

Kicker.8203

Hammer: skill 4 is dark field but comboing it with autoattack is pretty underwhelming. your own blast finishers cant be used inside of it because it is always in front of you. I suggest expanding the aoe so a part of it would be under you. Thus you could blast in it with staff 4 or hammer 3.

Hammer 3: the weapon lack utility so skill 3 could be changed to a chain skill: when you leap somewhere the skill switches to a skill that lets you stay wherever you have leapt to at the cost of getting a significantly increased recharge time.

Hammer 2: still has a shorter range than the animation indicates. One target can be hit 2 times if they stand between any 2 aoe portions. This skill often fails to hit on steep hills or ppl standing on coin sized rocks.

Sword 3: needs decreased single target but increased multi target dmg.

Shiro: Phase Traversal: its fine having no CD on it if target is in range but I’d add a few seconds of cd on it if the target is out of range when the skill is cast.

Staff 2: stage 2 is a bit too costly imo.

in Revenant

Posted by: Kamui.3150

Kamui.3150

Overall, I had a blast playing Revenant over the weekend. I didn’t mess around with Mallyx/Ventari or their trait lines, nor Jalis’ trait line, but I did run around a good bit with Devastation/Invocation/Herald as well as use Shiro/Jalis/Glint through the weekend. So here’s the only real complaint I have.

Shared Empowerment currently sucks. The trait gives you and allies within 600 range 1 stack of Might with 5s base duration (5.75s with the GM Minor) whenever you apply a boon. This trait also has a 1s ICD. Okay, seems decent, if you’re capping on that ICD by staggering 3 Facets then you’re going to be rocking an extra 5+ stacks of Might, seems cool, right? Wrong. For whatever reason, the Facets themselves are all on a shared 3s timer, this timer pops their boon pulses simultaneously, even if you stagger the activation of the Facets to be 1s apart.

Okay, so maybe this Herald trait isn’t meant to fully synergise with the Herald skills themselves (yes, I’ve had this argument said to me when I pointed this out), so maybe it’s meant to work with some other stuff! Right, let’s see where else you can get boons, and how long their CD is. First is the weapons. Hammer? Nope, no boons there, aside from Blast finishers. Staff? Again, nope, aside from a Blast on 4, and technically a trait that causes the healing orbs to give Regen/Swiftness, but you spawn 2 orbs at a time on an auto that takes over 2s to complete, so you’re not really doing great with those. Mace/Axe? Nope, no boons there. Sword/Sword? Ah, mainhand Sword gives Might when you hit, but the whole thing completes in less than a second, so you only get one proc from the trait, that’s no good then. Shield! Only Protection, on the 4, so that’s out.

Right, so weapons basically are worthless for activating the trait reasonably, what about the Legends themselves?

Shiro? Impossible Odds pulses Quickness every second, hooray! Finally something that can use the trait! So there’s one way to proc it reliably, it just has a 10 En upkeep cost, so you basically burn your En mega quick to do it. Shiro’s trait line gives Might when using a Shiro skill, so that’s something as well.

Okay then, Mallyx? There’s Pain Absorption which gives Resistance, and that trait that causes all Mallyx skills to give you Resistance, but that’s it, not really gonna proc the trait very often.

Jalis next, he’s got Retal when his heal cleanses conditions, and Inspiring Reinforcement to give pulsing Stability. IR is another skill that, while it’s up, can proc the trait off CD, so that’s good. Jalis’ trait line only has Stability (and potentially Retal) on Dodge, and gaining Might while you’re affected by Retal, with a 1s ICD. But as you can see, Retal isn’t really high on the uptime, so that’s not really helpful either.

Ventari, then! Nope, not a single boon to be seen on the base Ventari skills. The trait line has the already mentioned 3s of Regen/Swiftness on Staff’s healing orbs, but that’s not great uptime. The only other thing in Ventari’s trats is “Allies near the tablet gain Regneration.” Awesome, you get 2s of Regen with a… 3s ICD, okay, so again, def not reliable for actually proccing the trait.

The Invocation line has a few Fury effects, but either 10 or 20 sec ICDs make them also bad for this trait, the only trait that can work is Charged Mists, as it seems to have no ICD, but being able to reliably wait a bit to go back over 50% En and then JUST use enough En to go below the threshold seems like it’d be hell. That and Rolling Mists is in the same tier, and really, you’re gonna take Rolling Mists.

Finally we get to Glint, as mentioned before, the Facets all have a 3s pulse, but this pulse is on a shared timer. So this means even staggering the activation of your Facets is pointless, since they’ll all pulse their boons at the exact same time. And none of the traits in the Herald line are able to activate Shared Empowerment regularly either.

So all in all, it looks to me like whoever designed this trait THOUGHT you would be able to stagger the activation on your Facets so that you could keep activating Inspiring Shared Empowerment off cooldown. Sadly it seems that only Impossible Odds and Inspiring Reinforcement can do this, making this an absurdly niche trait, and I doubt the designers intended for Herald to be crap at utilizing one of its own traits.

The easiest solution, IMO, is to just remove the ICD of Shared Empowerment. Which will essentially mean that while running 3 Facets you’ll get 3 stacks of Might per active Facet every 3 seconds, and makes running more Facets a great way to use the trait to its fullest. It also means things such as F2 will give you a small burst of 5 stacks of Might. Overall, the trait seems sound, but it’s severely held back due to the way Facets work, and between putting each Facet on an individual timer, and just removing the ICD on Shared Empowerment? It seems to me that the latter is the far easier and more sensible option.

in Revenant

Posted by: zanzoken.7698

zanzoken.7698

Again I tested the revenant again the weekend. Not as much as in the first bwe but still enough for a little bit of feedback. I mostly tested in WvW with Berserker/Valkyrie mix. This time I concentrated on Glint.

Energy managment

Problem: Still too much energy consumption through weapons which renders utility skills useless. You can still see this is a system made for one weapon slot.
Possible Solution: Remove or reduce energy from weapons.

Hammer

Problem: Skill 2 does too much damage and is way to spamable. Skill 5 is still to slow for such a obious animation.
Possible Solution: Reduce the Damage on Skill 2 especially the last step damage. Make Skill 5 a little bit faster to make it more reliable.

Facets general

Problem: To powerful out of combat. You can start a fight with 50% Boon duration, perma swiftness and 10 stacks of might. Ofc with 50 energy.
Possible Solution: Make it possible to have only one facet permanent active ooc. Leave the energy drain while in combat.

Gaze of Darkness

Problem: The tooltip states it works in the area “around you”. But this is not the case. Most of the time this skill does not hit. It seems to have an arc or something in this way.
Possible Solution: Make it more clear where it applies the revealed debuff or change the tooltip.

Unrelenting Assault

Problem: Not completly avoidable thus rendering it a bit too strong.
Possible Solution: Increase the speed of the skill to make it dodgable with two dodges or remove the last hit.

This is it for now. I will edit my post if I remember more issues.

(edited by zanzoken.7698)