Who will the next legend be?

in Revenant

Posted by: RyuDragnier.9476

RyuDragnier.9476

Sadly he did not have a bonus mission, but considering how Charr are often taught skills other than their profession depending on their Legion, I figure they could pull together something with old Blood Legion techniques, though I admit that’s a stretch.

[hS]
PvE Main – Zar Poisonclaw – Daredevil
WvW Main – Ghost Mistcaller – Herald

(edited by RyuDragnier.9476)

in Revenant

Posted by: Huskyboy.1053

Huskyboy.1053

Sadly he did not have a bonus mission, but considering how Charr are often taught skills other than their profession depending on their Legion, I figure they could pull together something with old Blood Legion techniques, though I admit that’s a stretch.

Eh I mean it’s cool to think outside the box, if you look at my “Other Ideas” you’re gonna see some stretches too. What’s important is whether the Legend is cool and adds something new.

in Revenant

Posted by: cyberzombie.7348

cyberzombie.7348

What if it was your previous gw1 character. with the skillset of your character

What good is a medic w/o a patient?

in Revenant

Posted by: Arkantos.7460

Arkantos.7460

first they have to NERF down all prevent Legends … to add a new Legend after the next BUYABLE addon …. then the loop will restart again ….

Good Thiefs are average,
Skilled Thiefs are dangerous

in Revenant

Posted by: cptn skyz.8706

cptn skyz.8706

Dude Abaddon Would be sick

Skyz Thief

in Revenant

Huskyboy.1053

Yeah I pretty much addressed that via Varesh Ossa, see the second comment on the thread. But yeah I mean we could cut to the chase and just make Abaddon be the Legend.

in Revenant

Posted by: cptn skyz.8706

cptn skyz.8706

Yeah I pretty much addressed that via Varesh Ossa, see the second comment on the thread. But yeah I mean we could cut to the chase and just make Abaddon be the Legend.

Yeah i saw its what made me think on him

Skyz Thief

in Revenant

Posted by: Lonami.2987

Lonami.2987

Pyre led the Charr rebellion against the Shaman Caste system. They bound the entire race underneath world-destroying “gods” and prevented females from having any appreciable role in society (if you’re into that sort of thing). He’s the one that helped Charr become the atheist race they are today.

Master Togo was Headmaster at Shing Jea Monastery. He negotiated peace treaties between the Tengu and Humans, ending the Tengu war, and twice negotiated peace between the Kurzicks and Luxons to help defeat Shiro. He had Imperial blood, and was finally enshrined in Tahnnakai Temple with the other historical heroes of Cantha.

If anything, we can agree Revenants aren’t short of options to revere.

I don’t think it’s just about some legendary status, but an unique legendary power as well, which doesn’t belong in any of the other professions.

Pyre is just a normal ranger, and I think that’s what makes him interesting. A regular dude with no special powers whatsoever, just the will to lead a rebellion. If you turn him into some kind of superhero kitten with superpowers, you’re ruining his character. That’s why I think he shouldn’t be a legend, and I apply the same conditions to other important characters like Prince Rurik. Same for Togo. The blood thing could make him an exception, but that’s Shiro’s excuse already with the stolen powers.

Once those without special powers are out, you need to consider if said powers don’t fit any of the existing professions already. This is the case for Vizier Khilbron, the Lich. Even if he’s a prime servant of Abaddon, he’s just a necromancer. Any special powers he could have would fit a new necromancer elite specialization much more better than a new revenant legend. Same for Urgoz, if he’s just going to have dark nature powers, we could have a dark nature ranger follow those themes instead.

You also need to analyze the nature of said power, and the relationship of the legend with it. For example, what about a King Adelbern legend, themed around the Foefire? Has a cool unique ghost theme, but beyond the explosion and the ghost minions, there’s nothing else. Also, the Foefire powers aren’t something Adelbern had control of in life, and no Foefire ghost have control of them either now in death. So, in any case, you’d need to expand the original story to a point where it’s no longer the original, and in that case you’re better off exploring ghost themes with other legends, like one dealing with Bloodstone ghosts.

Jalis and Ventari work very well because of their unique racial powers, not their legendary status, though I feel Ventari is kinda lackluster, his theme too similar to that of a ranger. If his legend ever gets revamped, I hope they push the unique centaur magic aspect much more, mixing nature and elemental magic so it doesn’t feel so bland. Maybe give him some sort of “runic scribing” magic, which we’ll assume he used to write the tablet.

We already have Mallyx, so neither Abaddon nor Varesh would bring any new themes, since they all use the same margonite-ish magic.

Personally, I never liked the focus on specific legends. Back when it was announced it felt like just some cheap “GW1 nostalgia” trick.

I would have preferred if, instead of legends, we had gotten just “schools of forbidden magic” instead, or something like that. Then we would be talking about cool magic, instead of worthy or unworthy legends.

This would in turn make revenants “less special” than now, and let us have them spread across the world as common users, instead of superheroes channeling godlike magic, turning them into some kind of dark guardians, instead of mist travelers.

Elonian elite specialization ideas: El: Dervish
M: Bladedancer – N: Scourge – En: Occultist – Ra: Swampstalker
T: Sharpshooter – G: Sunspear – Re: Hierophant – W: Corsair

in Revenant

Huskyboy.1053

I don’t think it’s just about some legendary status, but an unique legendary power as well, which doesn’t belong in any of the other professions.

I agree with this general sentiment. A character’s uniquity and how they stand apart from others is important. Ventari has always been a strange Legend choice since he’s not really remarkable other than being a peaceable (unusual) centaur who planted a tree.

I’m not sure I fully understand your objection to Urgoz’ uniquity; while Rangers deal with nature, so do Elementalists. The difference there is that Ranger deals with living things like non-sentient animals and plants, and elementalist deals with the non-living classical elements. Necromancers and Rangers both deal with “life,” but while Rangers deal with things that are currently alive (like vines) and nature spirits, Necromancers bring things back to life (which may be construed as forcing spirits into dead bodies, who knows how minions become animated). And of course both Ranger and Necromancer have auxiliary things like marks, traps, etc. But the underlying theme of “nature manipulation” is shared between Eles and Rangers, and the theme of “manipulation of life” is shared between Necros and Rangers.

Obviously I’m being generous in my comparisons, but really uniquity is just about how you look at things. It seems to me that Eles and Rangers and Necros are distinct professions because, even though there could be thematic overlap, Anet has made sure to separate them by what makes them different. I don’t see why an Ele couldn’t control vines, plants are full of water right? And why is it that Rangers can control both animals (has a brain somewhat similar to humans) but also can control plants, which don’t even have brains? It’s just a design choice, there are certainly facets of Rangers that are just soldered together and could easily be separated. Why not have Beastmaster and Gardener? Because Gardener isn’t cool enough tbh.

Urgoz’ corrupted nature is certainly outside of Melandru’s ability or desire to control, and is in fact the result of the Jade Winds, Shiro’s corruption of Dwayna’s power which she gave to the Canthan Imperial line. In my biased view, that separates him pretty clearly from Rangers, though they both control plants and monsters.

(edited by Huskyboy.1053)

in Revenant

Huskyboy.1053

I brought up Melandru because in GW1 lore Rangers are supposed to get their powers thanks to Melandru, like Necromancers get theirs from Grenth.

in Revenant

Posted by: Yannir.4132

Yannir.4132

I think the Dark Archer archetype fits Revenants much better than it does Rangers. Just because Guardians are the knight type, you wouldn’t make them into the Dark Knight archetype, right? Any variants of dark themes belong to the Revenant and Necro, IMO.

Btw in my books Shiro isn’t special because of the stolen imperial powers or the Jade Wind, but because of his status as an Envoy.

Yannir for males. (guard,thief,war,ele)
Sonya for females. (necro,rev,ranger,mes,engi)
All classes lvl 80.

in Revenant

Lonami.2987

I agree with this general sentiment. A character’s uniquity and how they stand apart from others is important. Ventari has always been a strange Legend choice since he’s not really remarkable other than being a peaceable (unusual) centaur who planted a tree.

Ventari has the scapegoat that we don’t know what his powers were, since we never saw him in action. He could have been a super powerful centaur for all we care. Where his legend fails at is at the skills, that are generic stuff with nothing special whatsoever. Lost opportunity to expand on some new centaur lore dealing with powerful shamans or whatever.

I think the Dark Archer archetype fits Revenants much better than it does Rangers. Just because Guardians are the knight type, you wouldn’t make them into the Dark Knight archetype, right? Any variants of dark themes belong to the Revenant and Necro, IMO.

Let’s word it in another way: Give ideas for 3 new ranger elite specializations.

You’ll run out of themes soon, so you can’t just sacrifice “dark nature” for another profession without making sure ranger has enough themes to keep going.

I think every profession (including the guardian) could get dark variations just fine.

Btw in my books Shiro isn’t special because of the stolen imperial powers or the Jade Wind, but because of his status as an Envoy.

His status as envoy is irrelevant, for it doesn’t provide anything special (with what we know so far about them).

The powers of the Assassin legend don’t match the original Shiro too much, but they fit and work well with the established lore.

in Revenant

Posted by: Lockheart.4312

Lockheart.4312

I am going to laugh if it is the lich from prophecies, what better way to break the necromancer in half than to give another class an even more necromancer like flavor.

in Revenant

Huskyboy.1053

Lol yeah I hope not, that would be sad. There’s already Lich form for necromancer so that would be even more redundant

in Revenant

Huskyboy.1053

Let’s word it in another way: Give ideas for 3 new ranger elite specializations.

You’ll run out of themes soon, so you can’t just sacrifice “dark nature” for another profession without making sure ranger has enough themes to keep going.

This is a great thread idea, because you’re right, Ranger of course needs a new specialization. I think it would make sense to have something that still falls in line with what Melandru does/controls, wouldn’t make sense for a player to use 2 core specializations lined up with Melandru, then have a “dark nature” specialization which contradicts Melandru’s powers/influence. If you make a thread in the Ranger forum, I’ll add some ideas.

in Revenant

Lonami.2987

This is a great thread idea, because you’re right, Ranger of course needs a new specialization. I think it would make sense to have something that still falls in line with what Melandru does/controls, wouldn’t make sense for a player to use 2 core specializations lined up with Melandru, then have a “dark nature” specialization which contradicts Melandru’s powers/influence. If you make a thread in the Ranger forum, I’ll add some ideas.

I have multiple ideas noted down around, but right now I’m focused on writing a complete series themed on Elona. They’re at my signature too:

Elonian elite specialization ideas:
El: Dervish – M: Minstrel – N: Scourge – En: Occultist – Ra: Amazon

When thinking about elite specializations I always try to think about 3 simultaneously. You can’t just go super-cool with the current spec without considering future ones. You might make mistakes like adding two themes to a single specialization, instead of using each one separately, and much more fleshed out.

The problem about giving necromancer or ranger stuff to the revenant is that, aside from repeating themes across different professions, you’re also taking potential away from them. Engineer for example is very hard to work with, golemancer is pretty much obvious, but then what? I had thought of asura legends for revenant, but after seeing the problems with the engineer, anything asura you could come up with is better spent on the engineer, even if it means the engineer could have two or more asura-themed specs. I would even go as far as to say some kind of “mutant plant botanist” could fit the engineer if we run out of ideas. So that’s why I prefer for the revenant to focus on really unique stuff that doesn’t fit anywhere else.

in Revenant

Yannir.4132

Fine.
1st: Your own suggestion, the Amazon.
2nd: Stalker. MH dagger. Stealth. Borrows thief-mechanics but comes with it’s own flavor.
3rd: Warden. Shield. Defense that doesn’t rely on evading. Makes the ranger a frontliner, instead of the different forms of avoiding confrontation rangers currently have.
I’ll throw in a 4th one since I got the first one a bit easy: Istari Gamekeeper. Rifle. In the dangerous wilds of the Istari archipelago, carrying lighter ammunition could save your life.

You could say that ranger doesn’t even have space for a dark archer type spec. The archer’s weapons are already there, and they are not dark. You can’t go changing weapon skills around for specs either.

I think every profession (including the guardian) could get dark variations just fine.

I disagree. In truth, many of them could be given dark themes but that doesn’t mean they should. Guardian is on the top of that list. Dark themes would pretty much go against everything the guardian is. If you make a guardian dark, the end result is a revenant. That goes for warrior as well.

All classes lvl 80.

(edited by Yannir.4132)

in Revenant

Lonami.2987

Fine.
2nd: Stalker. MH dagger. Stealth. Borrows thief-mechanics but comes with it’s own flavor.
3rd: Warden. Shield. Defense that doesn’t rely on evading. Makes the ranger a frontliner, instead of the different forms of avoiding confrontation rangers currently have.
I’ll throw in a 4th one since I got the first one a bit easy: Istari Gamekeeper. Rifle. In the dangerous wilds of the Istari archipelago, carrying lighter ammunition could save your life.

You could say that ranger doesn’t even have space for a dark archer type spec. The archer’s weapons are already there, and they are not dark. You can’t go changing weapon skills around for specs either.

The problem with that is that you’re just writing weapon combinations. You need to think about the theme, and also the mechanics connected to it. In my amazon idea, it’s a swamp stalker, heavily inspired by wild tribes and jungle poisons, and with an in-lore connection to the hylek.

Just “guy with x weapon” doesn’t work. You need a context. Also, said theme/darkness won’t usually come from the weapon skills, but the mechanic and the utilities. Chronomancer theme doesn’t come from the shield, and druid theme doesn’t come from the staff. The weapon could change to pretty much anything, and the theme wouldn’t be affected.

For example, a ranger elite spec could be about the “wild side” of nature, and use carnivorous plants, brain-parasites, and toxic pollen. This ranger would use magic to accelerate the growth of seeds he’s carrying, to then throw them at enemies. It’s a perversion of nature, but it’s still nature, thus why it’s “dark”. The special mechanic could be a toxin-induced rage state, similar to the berserker’s, where vines grow around the body of the ranger, stealing life when in melee combat. Just some wild idea, didn’t think too much about it.

Not saying ArenaNet has to follow this model in any way, or that revenant will never get another nature theme. I just think there’s many other possibilities, which are actually unique, and that focusing on the legendary character instead of the theme is a mistake, and a big part of why I don’t like they used legends instead of magic schools or something like that.

I disagree. In truth, many of them could be given dark themes but that doesn’t mean they should. Guardian is on the top of that list. Dark themes would pretty much go against everything the guardian is. If you make a guardian dark, the end result is a revenant. That goes for warrior as well.

A guardian elite specialization with a 4th virtue called “revenge” or something like that would work just fine. Many games with paladin classes have customization options to turn them into the dark side, so instead of serving the light or whatever they enslave it to purge anyone they deem heretic.

(edited by Lonami.2987)

in Revenant

Huskyboy.1053

Fine.

The problem with that is that you’re just writing weapon combinations. You need to think about the theme, and also the mechanics connected to it. In my amazon idea, it’s a swamp stalker, heavily inspired by wild tribes and jungle poisons, and with an in-lore connection to the hylek.

Just “guy with x weapon” doesn’t work. You need a context. Also, said theme/darkness won’t usually come from the weapon skills, but the mechanic and the utilities. Chronomancer theme doesn’t come from the shield, and druid theme doesn’t come from the staff. The weapon could change to pretty much anything, and the theme wouldn’t be affected.

For example, a ranger elite spec could be about the “wild side” of nature, and use carnivorous plants, brain-parasites, and toxic pollen. This ranger would use magic to accelerate the growth of seeds he’s carrying, to then throw them at enemies. It’s a perversion of nature, but it’s still nature, thus why it’s “dark”. The special mechanic could be a toxin-induced rage state, similar to the berserker’s, where vines grow around the body of the ranger, stealing life when in melee combat. Just some wild idea, didn’t think too much about it.

Not saying ArenaNet has to follow this model in any way, or that revenant will never get another nature theme. I just think there’s many other possibilities, which are actually unique, and that focusing on the legendary character instead of the theme is a mistake, and a big part of why I don’t like they used legends instead of magic schools or something like that.

A guardian elite specialization with a 4th virtue called “revenge” or something like that would work just fine. Many games with paladin classes have customization options to turn them into the dark side, so instead of serving the light or whatever they enslave it to purge anyone they deem heretic.

Yeah I think what we’re running into is different perspectives here, it’s seems like Yannir has a more pvp perspective and you’re clearly more lore-oriented. Both are important I’d say, I’m most concerned that Revenant continues to have a unique niche in combat but I wouldn’t say that the lore aspect should be ignored either.

Also at this point we should probably settle on what “dark” means, right now we have “evil” and “kinda angry” which are quite separate definitions.

(edited by Huskyboy.1053)

in Revenant

Posted by: Mordeus.1234

Mordeus.1234

This is an oddball suggestion but I’d love to have the next be Razah. The stance would be called something like Legendary Mystic Stance and be rather ‘meta’. The concept behind the specialization would be about what happens when a Revenant summons a being from the Mists made of the Mists. Sure he may not be in the Tyrian history books right now but he’s an iconic face of GW1 and his introduction as a Revenant Legend could give the opportunity to explain what he ‘grew’ into. There could be a whole mysticism aspect to him where he never died but ascended to the Mists like some sort of enlightened prophet.

Razah in GW1 was highly malleable in that you could customize his profession, while his personality was a blank slate that grew with the player. So his role as a Legend would be to help bolster the other player selected Legend whilst learning from allies and enemies.

The profession mechanic would be of the “Siphon Link”, where basically you target ally or foe and a link of siphoned energy is established. The Link remains intact until you leave maximum range or it’s breakbar is destroyed. If you link to an ally then you channel energy to them, but if you link to an enemy then you siphon energy from them. You act like some sort of chi master. You can only be linked to one target but you can select the upkeep value which alters the siphon strength.

The Grandmaster trait determines what sort of ‘energy’ you siphon within the link, could be health, endurance, stats, etc… Health would help Ventari to heal a ‘tank’ or Jalis to increase survivability. Endurance could be used to speed endurance generation or be used to neuter a Daredevil. While something like a stat boost or drain would just increase or decrease a target’s potential. The link would stay active between Legends like Facet of Nature did.

The Razah stance would use Glyphs that react depending on the linked target (ally or enemy) in a similar way that the Druid Glyphs change during Celestial Avatar. Here are some quick examples of how it would work:

Healing:
Glyph of a Noble Heart (Ally): Heal yourself, all healing above max health threshold is transferred to linked ally.
Glyph of a Wicked Heart (Enemy): Heal yourself, gain additional healing by draining health from enemy.

Utilities:
Glyph of an Open Mind (Ally): Cleanse 3 conditions from you and your target.
Glyph of a Tortured Mind (Enemy): Convert 3 conditions on you into confusion, torment and fear then send them to your target.

Glyph of Renewed Sight (Ally): You and your target begin to radiate, revealing enemies around the both of you and generating light fields respectively.
Glyph of Abandoned Sight (Enemy): You become invisible to the target enemy only. Allies and other enemies can still see you. Target is blinded.

Glyph of Kindred Souls (Ally): The link between you and an ally becomes a beam of pure energy. Allies who pass through it recover endurance and gain random boons.
Glyph of Lost Souls (Enemy): The ’beam between you and an enemy becomes unstable dealing damage to enemies who are hit by it and are given random conditions.

Elite:
Glyph of Awakened Potential (Ally): Expend all energy to gain a unique boon that strengthens base Legendary stances. Boon is shared with target if they are a Revenant. Duration of boon is dependent on amount of energy expended.
Glyph of Sleeping Potential (Enemy): Expend all energy to slow your target in pulses, slowly sending them to sleep (stun). Duration of slow and stun is dependent on total energy expended.

What that unique meta-Revenant boon grants depends on the Legend you use. Using Shiro grants ferocity, Jalis grants Toughness, Malyx grants condition damage, Ventari grants healing power and Glint grants boon duration. It can’t be used that often since the skill forces you to switch out of Razah to quickly get back energy.

I’m not sure what would happen if you have two revenants siphon linking to each other, it might increase the potency or cancel it. I guess the two revs could rotate entering Razah’s stance to give each other the meta boon. Or you could stay in Razah’s stance and use the Glyph of Souls to keep the beam up between you to damage or heal people as you force enemies to pass through the beam.

As for equipment, the armor would be Razah’s iconic headpiece which works for a Revenant since it has the whole blindfold thing going on. And the weapon would be a scepter since Razah’s default profession was the ritualist and they used Scepters, not to mention that 900 range fills a gap with the Revenant’s weapon selection.

As for profession name I’ve been thinking of Acolyte because it represents that Razah was a ‘follower’ or a ‘helper’ which fits into the whole ascetic theme and the stance’s role of aiding other Legends/Revenants.

It’s a complex idea and this is the first time I’ve put it down into words, so I hope it makes sense.

in Revenant

Yannir.4132

Ofc you do have all that but that’s a very different conversation. Your argument was that Revenant can’t have Dark Archer themes(or that’s atleast what I was answering to) because the Rangers need it. You asked for 3 examples, and that’s what I gave you. If you want, I can expand on them but I’ll need from a few days to a week for that. I whipped that all up on the spot.

All classes lvl 80.

in Revenant

Huskyboy.1053

This is an oddball suggestion but I’d love to have the next be Razah. The stance would be called something like Legendary Mystic Stance and be rather ‘meta’. The concept behind the specialization would be about what happens when a Revenant summons a being from the Mists made of the Mists. Sure he may not be in the Tyrian history books right now but he’s an iconic face of GW1 and his introduction as a Revenant Legend could give the opportunity to explain what he ‘grew’ into. There could be a whole mysticism aspect to him where he never died but ascended to the Mists like some sort of enlightened prophet.

Razah in GW1 was highly malleable in that you could customize his profession, while his personality was a blank slate that grew with the player. So his role as a Legend would be to help bolster the other player selected Legend whilst learning from allies and enemies.

Yeah this is pretty cool, thanks for writing all that out. Razah is an interesting choice, I have no idea who came up with him in the first place but I felt like Razah’s story could use more expansion.

in Revenant

Lonami.2987

Second update for my wishlist:

Ritualist

This new female tengu character is an ancient witch from a long extinct desert tribe, and the first ritualist. She has a neutral and judging attitude at your use of her, instead of agreeing or disagreeing. Her legend is themed around the classic GW1 ritualist profession, and specially around spirits, turret-like minions.

Ideally, this legend wouldn’t be part of an elite specialization, and instead be added to core revenant to improve the current variety problems it has, as the 5th core legendary stance.

Hierophant

Bonfaaz Burntfur is the original Flame Legion shaman behind the Searing of Ascalon, a powerful charr who mastered fire, lava, and smoke. He led the charr forces assaulting Ascalon for nearly two decades, dying at the hands of Prince Rurik during the Battle of Rin. His legend is themed around Flame Legion magic, and his attacks focus on area of damage and condition damage through burning. The elite skill is a small-scale Searing. All of his utilities are charge skills, which grow in power the more you charge them.

The new mechanic, relics, lets revenants channel additional powers with each legend, through a series of ancient artifacts, like the Tome of the Rubicon, the Apocrypha, or the Cauldron of Cataclysm.

More about this idea here.

Stargazer

This new female jotun character was once the last valkyrie-oracle-queen of the jotun, right before the downfall of her race. Her legend is themed around astrology and the zodiac, mixed with nordic and celtic elements. She hunts the stars with her bow, and then weaves constellations. She can also summon the ghosts of the heroes of ages past to fight at her side.

The new mechanic, the avatar, lets the revenant transform into an embodiment of each legend, gaining new skills for a short time.

Inquisitor

The Ancient Seer was a mysterious seer who, 250 years ago, helped the Shining Blade defeat the mursaat by infusing their armor against their spectral agony attacks. She disappeared once the Flameseeker Prophecies were completed, though in truth, she survived, making her the first living legend to be channeled. Her legend is themed around darkness and the bloodstones, lifestealing and sacrifices, vulnerability and weakness conditions, and enemy healing reduction. The elite skill marks an area in the ground with the bloodstone runes, and give boosts to allies for all damage done inside that area.

The new mechanic is a new mechanic bar skill, which changes depending on the type of your current main-hand weapon. These new skills focus on various movement-impending conditions, to make sure your enemy can’t escape. This skill spends all of the revenant’s energy, and grows in strength the more energy spent in activation.

Just some minor changes and a different structure.

in Revenant

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Who’s going to be next?

Pyre Fierceshot and he’ll be bringing either Longbow or Shortbow. Weapon and Utilities will bring condi’s and traits will compliment them.

This will fill in the gap of the missing condi range, and secondary condi-legend.

Honestly though, I wish they’d just go ahead and make one of those bow options core already. It’ll be hard to let go of the dragon.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

in Revenant

Posted by: starlinvf.1358

starlinvf.1358

I’m not sure I fully understand your objection to Urgoz’ uniquity; while Rangers deal with nature, so do Elementalists. The difference there is that Ranger deals with living things like non-sentient animals and plants, and elementalist deals with the non-living classical elements. Necromancers and Rangers both deal with “life,” but while Rangers deal with things that are currently alive (like vines) and nature spirits, Necromancers bring things back to life (which may be construed as forcing spirits into dead bodies, who knows how minions become animated). And of course both Ranger and Necromancer have auxiliary things like marks, traps, etc. But the underlying theme of “nature manipulation” is shared between Eles and Rangers, and the theme of “manipulation of life” is shared between Necros and Rangers.

Obviously I’m being generous in my comparisons, but really uniquity is just about how you look at things. It seems to me that Eles and Rangers and Necros are distinct professions because, even though there could be thematic overlap, Anet has made sure to separate them by what makes them different. I don’t see why an Ele couldn’t control vines, plants are full of water right? And why is it that Rangers can control both animals (has a brain somewhat similar to humans) but also can control plants, which don’t even have brains? It’s just a design choice, there are certainly facets of Rangers that are just soldered together and could easily be separated. Why not have Beastmaster and Gardener? Because Gardener isn’t cool enough tbh.

Urgoz’ corrupted nature is certainly outside of Melandru’s ability or desire to control, and is in fact the result of the Jade Winds, Shiro’s corruption of Dwayna’s power which she gave to the Canthan Imperial line. In my biased view, that separates him pretty clearly from Rangers, though they both control plants and monsters.

The way I’ve always seen it is they start with a build concept, and then decide on a legend that thematically meshes with it. The back story is then used to fill in the specific skills. This is kind of the reverse of how most people think they were designing things, where they pick a name, and make a build around it. The names may lend to a build idea, but the logic of “we’ll pick names everyone knows, and make a gimick out of it” doesn’t make nearly as much sense as “heres a build archetype- what do you think would match it?”. Thats why Shrio is so awkward feeling, because hes essentially a thief with one trait line. They all have that in common, because the other classes tend to operate in multiple roles at once (with each skill able to be used in 2 or 3 situations), while the Revs are generally stuck in one, and each skill only serves one function.

When you view it that way, not only the internal logic start to come together, but it also shows what the Devs were thinking (or weren’t thinking) about when designing the class cohesion.

As for the thematic of each legend, they don’t really need to be functionally unique. For instance…. the entire Jalis kit has nothing in common with Jalis from GW1. Hes a Hammer Warrior, and was more offensive then defensive through most, if not all of Prophecies and Eye of the North. So why does Jalis seem to make sense as a defensive build? Its almost entirely because Dwarves are thought to be hardy and durable.

Ventari makes internal sense because it uses a hand full of common fantasy tropes, and the role the Tablet plays now with the Sylvari and the Pale tree. A warrior turned pacifist, creates a new philosophy based on the tenants of life and its protection. While he himself was a Pacifist, the tablet he later writes doesn’t expressly forbid combat; only that war is wasteful, and life should be cherished. This leads into the next trope… the staff as a melee weapon. This is staple weapon of non-lethal fighting styles, because it neither cuts, nor pierces, crushes, or snap in twain.

There a crap ton of potential build ideas that pair up with various names in the lore. Kilbrone with a non-crit life leech build, Gwen with a duality build (signets if you want a different mesmer trope), Morgan with a shout based build, Killroy Stonekin for a much needed weakness leveraging build (remember the old Bunny thumpers?), Togo with a bundle kit style build….. and if I could make any sense of what Archemorus and Viktor’s fighting styles were, I could find a build that fits them as well.

in Revenant

Posted by: Exalted Quality.8534

Exalted Quality.8534

my vote is Kormir the paragon, but they would have to make spears work on land though. Wouldn’t be a bad idea since underwater combat is bad…maybe they could make up some mumbo jumbo about revenants channeling the spirit of water on land or some crap. Paragons were a cool concept introduced with nightfall and ANet still owes us a paragon buff from GW1.

Follow me on Twitch!
http://twitch.tv/optimalquality

in Revenant

Posted by: Exalted Quality.8534

Exalted Quality.8534

This would fit the Revenant archetype well because they nerfed the everliving kitten out of Paragons every time they had an opportunity

Follow me on Twitch!
http://twitch.tv/optimalquality

in Revenant

Huskyboy.1053

and if I could make any sense of what Archemorus and Viktor’s fighting styles were, I could find a build that fits them as well.

If we’re going with Viktor then you could have an urn, and your F1 skills is “Throw Ashes.” People get super grossed out so they get Feared. That’s the best I’ve got.

in Revenant

Yannir.4132

my vote is Kormir the paragon, but they would have to make spears work on land though. Wouldn’t be a bad idea since underwater combat is bad…maybe they could make up some mumbo jumbo about revenants channeling the spirit of water on land or some crap. Paragons were a cool concept introduced with nightfall and ANet still owes us a paragon buff from GW1.

We kind of had this conversation earlier. Any of the human gods are kind of off limits.

But as a side note, would it be cool if they designed a legend around underwater combat? They could do it as an extra feature, since rev is currently stupid to play underwater.

All classes lvl 80.

in Revenant

Posted by: Jack Skywalker.5674

Jack Skywalker.5674

They should retire Ventari for either Togo or Pyre as far as I am concerned.
I would hate if they did this to Jallis because Jallis is a very good legend for leveling and from what I hear is decent during raiding….but if they would transfer JUST the direct damage from hammer to Malyx ult on the other hand….then I would hope that Jallis gets replaced by any legend which can feature a skill that creates a lighting combo field.

(edited by Jack Skywalker.5674)

in Revenant

Posted by: supa suop.8026

supa suop.8026

Egil Fireteller

Edit: more on this will be added later due to work.

[SoS] PvX Thief,
The world could use more S/x Thief
FIST FLURRY! ORA!!

in Revenant

Posted by: draxynnic.3719

draxynnic.3719

My general thoughts regarding revenant legends are:

1. They can’t be gods, Spirits of the Wild, or anything of that nature that you’d expect to be of a specific religion to follow. Existing legends suggest that ArenaNet has been deliberately avoiding them in exchange for followers that are not divine but are representative of a divine figure’s power (Jalis is representative of the Great Dwarf; Mallyx is representative of Abaddon).

2. Conversely, they need to be representative of a major event in the world, at least on a racial level. Shiro is representative of the Jade Wind. Mallyx, as a stand-in for Abaddon, is representative of Nightfall. Jalis is a representative of the waking of the dragons and the transformation of the dwarves. Ventari is representative of the birth of the sylvari. Glint could be representative of a number of things, including the impact of the Forgotten on the world, a proxy for the human gods, and the Flameseeker Prophecies themselves.

3. Legends can’t be something that’s easily mapped to an existing profession. However, the powers of a legend might have less to do with the powers that the figure actually had but the image people have of that figure. For instance, the reflection of Ventari in the Mists that forms the Ventari legend might not actually come from anything Ventari did or could do directly, but instead have grown from the impressions that the sylvari have of him. (Which would be why the tablet is so important to the Ventari legend).

4. Legends shouldn’t be something that is still currently active (and known to be so) in the world. Jalis is obscure because we don’t know if he’s alive or dead, but despite his influence on history I don’t think we’re likely to see Palawa Joko as a legend as long as Joko is still… well, ‘alive’ isn’t the right term, but you know what I mean.

5. Legends should be someone the playerbase will recognise (although this allows for the possibility that something that isn’t known now being built up into a legend later, it shouldn’t be done in a way that’s obviously just being done to create a legend candidate). There are some obscure characters that, lore-wise, would probably fulfil the criteria for a legend, but are too unfamiliar to the player base.

Because of point 2, I don’t think we’re likely to see Togo or any of the other NPCs from Factions. Their stories are intertwined with Shiro’s rise and fall – Shiro is the important figure, so he’s the one that had a legend form from the events of the Jade Wind and of Factions. Similarly, Mallyx is representative of Nightfall – we probably won’t see Varesh or any of the Nightfall NPCs, because their heroics were defined by what they fought. Most of the events of EOTN are probably covered by Jalis as being representative of the efforts against the Great Destroyer. Prophecies… is an interesting case, depending on whether we consider Glint to be representative of all of the events that happened as part of the Flameseeker Prophecies or not.

So, while a legend based on events in Prophecies may be possible, primarily I think we’d be looking for things outside of the GW1 games.

Some possibilities that come to mind:

A Searing-oriented legend, possibly Bonfaaz Burntfur, even though he was mechanically a fairly low-level enemy. Is more or less to Elementalist as Shiro is to Thief. May be too close mechanically to elementalist, and may be too closely tied to Mallyx (through Abaddon) or to Glint (through the Flameseeker Prophecies) to fulfil criteria 2.

Kalla Scorchrazor, representing the charr rebellion. Skills relate to rallying an army and fighting against magical opponents. She may also have a technological theme, tying in how her victory lead to the charr industrial revolution.

Turai Ossa, representing the process of Ascension. Skills could reflect Divine Fire, the various trials of Ascension, and possibly the ghosts that his ill-fated bid for Ascension left behind. May, again, be too close to Glint (because of the Flameseeker Prophecies link) to fulfil criteria 2. Also has the problem, as noted above, that the weapons he was associated with in the Mission Pack are already taken – however, he uses axe and bow as the Ghostly Hero, so he could be a good source of a mainhand axe.

To those who think Scarlet hate means she’s succeeded as a villain:
People don’t hate Scarlet like Game of Thrones fans hate Joffrey.
They hate her the way Star Wars fans hate Jar Jar Binks.

in Revenant

Yannir.4132

Vizier Khilbron could represent the destruction of Orr, even if he is still linked to Abaddon. Not many ppl seem to like him as a choice but I still think he is viable.

King Adelbern or Duke Barradin could’ve represented the Foefire. Unfortunately, before Rytlock decides to deal with the ghosts once and for all, that option isn’t available.

A mursaat character such as Optimus Caliph could represent the betrayal of the mursaat. That might be too long ago though.

All classes lvl 80.

in Revenant

Posted by: koniallis.4736

koniallis.4736

Asgeir Dragonrender would be a good pick for connecting the revenant with the power of the spirits of the wild without actually getting a spirit as a Legend.

in Revenant

Posted by: Toasa.1236

Toasa.1236

Next Legend: John Cena

in Revenant

Posted by: RightHandedTwin.3240

RightHandedTwin.3240

I’m going to go for

Aesgir Dragonrender: Legendary Hero Stance Focuses on Melee range and stripping defensive power; perfect stance for tackling elite mobs and bosses. Weakness is low defensive power and poorly suited to team play as it offers no support skills. The Money shot skill is Dragon Rending that disables the foe for 2 seconds and inflictsa chunk of damage that can’t be healed for the duration, rather than reducing the opponents current health it reduces the opponents maximum total health.

in Revenant

Posted by: Buran.3796

Buran.3796

I’m going to go for

Aesgir Dragonrender: Legendary Hero Stance Focuses on Melee range and

Rev currently lacks viable ranged builds and you want another one to bit the dust in PvP/WvW?

in Revenant

Posted by: RightHandedTwin.3240

RightHandedTwin.3240

I’m going to go for

Aesgir Dragonrender: Legendary Hero Stance Focuses on Melee range and

Rev currently lacks viable ranged builds and you want another one to bit the dust in PvP/WvW?

Then isn’t it obvious? Perhaps even meta….Eir Stegalkin: Legendary Ranger Stance

in Revenant

Posted by: Lyger.5429

Lyger.5429

For those Revenants that literally can’t see you.

in Revenant

Huskyboy.1053

Personally voting for Randy Orton

in Revenant

Posted by: InsaneQR.7412

InsaneQR.7412

Riannoc would be good legend because of possible unique skills and greatsword as a weapon. He doesnt have the nostalgia factor thou.
King adelbert could be sweet too( think about a madgeir greatsword skin)
Otherwise Eir with Longbow or Kilbron with scepter.

Pale Raiders united.
9 Sylvari, 9 unique Builds.

in Revenant

Posted by: Bobby.3721

Bobby.3721

Im kind of hoping for Kalla Scorchrazor with a greatsword, or Pyre Fierceshot with a longbow. Ithink a charr legend would be pretty cool.

in Revenant

Posted by: Morphic.7045

Morphic.7045

I kinda feel that it should be Pyre, many of the legends can be assumed by a race and charr do not have one yet, for that matter neither does norn. I get that people think he was a “normal ranger” but most of the legends are actually normal, the only true big deals are shiro due to all the stuff going on with him in factions and glint due to her being a dragon lieutenant that betrayed her master. Jalis was just a dwarf king, Ventari a centaur that accidently found the pale tree seed and mallyx was nothing more than a margonite.

I do strongly believe that Longbow Pyre would be the best choice as both an additional ranged and we could easily put conditions on it for burning and poison/bleed, plus he actually done something major by starting the charr revelution against the flame legion oppresion which is actually more of a legend than most, traps would likely be the utility line but hopefully bring back the ranger “throwing traps” by letting us place them like wells.

(edited by Morphic.7045)

in Revenant

Yannir.4132

I do strongly believe that Longbow Pyre would be the best choice as both an additional ranged and we could easily put conditions on it for burning and poison/bleed, plus he actually done something major by starting the charr revelution against the flame legion oppresion which is actually more of a legend than most, traps would likely be the utility line but hopefully bring back the ranger “throwing traps” by letting us place them like wells.

Revenants are not tied to Utility types. Pyre might get 1 trap with everything else being something different. Even if he is not of the Flame Legion, Pyre is strongly themed towards fire, his initial Hero skills in GW1 reflecting that.

All classes lvl 80.

in Revenant

Posted by: Aeolus.3615

Aeolus.3615

Personally voting for Randy Orton

The undertaker….

For sure Anet will steal the paragon from Guardian and give paragon to Rev trough Kormir.
Kormir fits well the class as well, she leeched all the way like hammer revs do >:|

1st April joke, when gw2 receives a “balance” update.

in Revenant

Posted by: BlaqueFyre.5678

BlaqueFyre.5678

Poobadoo will be the Next legend!

in Revenant

Lonami.2987

I kinda feel that it should be Pyre, many of the legends can be assumed by a race and charr do not have one yet, for that matter neither does norn. I get that people think he was a “normal ranger” but most of the legends are actually normal, the only true big deals are shiro due to all the stuff going on with him in factions and glint due to her being a dragon lieutenant that betrayed her master. Jalis was just a dwarf king, Ventari a centaur that accidently found the pale tree seed and mallyx was nothing more than a margonite.

The “charr legend” should be a Flame Legion spellcaster. They have some really cool and unique magic, that can’t be inherited by other professions in any way, and they have a lot of background lore of their own.

The obvious choice would be Bonfaaz Burntfur, the Flame Legion shaman who summoned the Searing of Ascalon. Alternatively, the Khan-Ur or the first Flame Legion imperator could work too, as new characters.

Pyre is a nobody, and that’s fine, that’s the point of his figure. If you make him some kind of legendary hero with superpowers, you’re ruining his character and what made him cool to begin with. Same for other characters that are usually suggested as legends.

New legends need to be powerful and/or use unique magic. Just taking GW1 characters and pushing them as legends won’t work, imo. Nostalgia alone isn’t enough. Leaving room for brand new characters would be positive too.

For sure Anet will steal the paragon from Guardian and give paragon to Rev trough Kormir.
Kormir fits well the class as well, she leeched all the way like hammer revs do >:|

Kormir fits the revenant a lot, because of the blindfold, but I’m not sure I would like channeling the power of a god like that. Even if they made an excuse like “you’re channeling her when she was human”, it’s kinda meh.

Also, we don’t channel Abaddon directly, but one of his servants, Mallyx, so it would be kinda unfair.

I wouldn’t count on it anyway, paragon themes belong in the guardian. Blindfolds should be usable by other professions than revenants as well.

No quaggan/skritt/etc legends, please. Jokes shouldn’t be the driving force for any elite specialization.

If people is already kinda annoyed by Glint’s sounds, having some quaggan legend say “boo” every time you cast something would drive hatred against quaggan to the stars, specially when there’s so many ancient characters and race to choose from.

So please, don’t even think about it, even in jokes.

(edited by Lonami.2987)

in Revenant

Posted by: Lonewolf Kai.3682

Lonewolf Kai.3682

Revenants are not tied to Utility types. Pyre might get 1 trap with everything else being something different. Even if he is not of the Flame Legion, Pyre is strongly themed towards fire, his initial Hero skills in GW1 reflecting that.

Ummm. Look at the Legends again and tell us they’re not themed…..

The “charr legend” should be a Flame Legion spellcaster. They have some really cool and unique magic, that can’t be inherited by other professions in any way, and they have a lot of background lore of their own.

The obvious choice would be Bonfaaz Burntfur, the Flame Legion shaman who summoned the Searing of Ascalon. Alternatively, the Khan-Ur or the first Flame Legion imperator could work too, as new characters.

Pyre is a nobody, and that’s fine, that’s the point of his figure. If you make him some kind of legendary hero with superpowers, you’re ruining his character and what made him cool to begin with. Same for other characters that are usually suggested as legends.

New legends need to be powerful and/or use unique magic. Just taking GW1 characters and pushing them as legends won’t work, imo. Nostalgia alone isn’t enough. Leaving room for brand new characters would be positive too.

Kormir fits the revenant a lot, because of the blindfold, but I’m not sure I would like channeling the power of a god like that. Even if they made an excuse like “you’re channeling her when she was human”, it’s kinda meh.

Also, we don’t channel Abaddon directly, but one of his servants, Mallyx, so it would be kinda unfair.

I wouldn’t count on it anyway, paragon themes belong in the guardian. Blindfolds should be usable by other professions than revenants as well.

No quaggan/skritt/etc legends, please. Jokes shouldn’t be the driving force for any elite specialization.

If people is already kinda annoyed by Glint’s sounds, having some quaggan legend say “boo” every time you cast something would drive hatred against quaggan to the stars, specially when there’s so many ancient characters and race to choose from.

So please, don’t even think about it, even in jokes.

Pyre might’ve been just ordinary in your view, but he has become a Charr legend in GW2. They made a glorifying gigantic statue of him that even has its own Vista!

Not only that, he makes the most sense. He’s going to fill in the glaring lack of a condi ranged weapon.

“Be like water” – Bruce Lee

(edited by Lonewolf Kai.3682)

in Revenant

Lonami.2987

Pyre might’ve been just ordinary in your view, but he has become a Charr legend in GW2. They made a glorifying gigantic statue of him that even has its own Vista!

Not only that, he makes the most sense. He’s going to fill in the glaring lack of a condi ranged weapon.

What’s so special about Pyre? He has no unique powers, and a legend without them would be pretty boring. And if you change this and give him special powers, you’re ruining his character. He was a ranger, that beat powerful magicians with just his bow.

There’s even better “normal” charr out there, like Bathea Havocbringer or Kalla Scorchrazor, who are more important to charr history. The revenant shouldn’t be a GW1 nostalgia dump. It’s so sad to only see people suggest former GW1 heroes for future legends when we have so much to choose from.

in Revenant

Posted by: Morphic.7045

Morphic.7045

What’s so special about Pyre? He has no unique powers, and a legend without them would be pretty boring. And if you change this and give him special powers, you’re ruining his character. He was a ranger, that beat powerful magicians with just his bow.

There’s even better “normal” charr out there, like Bathea Havocbringer or Kalla Scorchrazor, who are more important to charr history. The revenant shouldn’t be a GW1 nostalgia dump. It’s so sad to only see people suggest former GW1 heroes for future legends when we have so much to choose from.

He was the first sucessful attempt at charr revolution that IS what he’s special for.

What’s special about half of our legends? As I said previously at least three of them done nothing even close to what pyre did.

What did Jalis do? The turning to stone thing was a people based thing not something he done specifically, and Mallyx? A random Demon in a content area based in gw1, by that logic any boss can be a legend.

Ventari? He found a seed. He done nothing else noteworthy other than creating the sylvari ten commandments which anyone could’ve done.

They’re not tired to utility types as the other classes are no but they’re generally got patterns but I will concede your point about what Pyres skillset would be, I want traps back solely because I was mad about them removing throwing traps from Rangers and there’s of course no need for his entire skill set to be nothing but traps, can throw other ranger stuff in there like a preparation for example which gw2 did not have. and I also agree with the fire theme, I don’t think I said anything against this.

(edited by Morphic.7045)